Post by Ricochet »

Thing is, so do I... :sigh:
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 85

Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Post by Ricochet »

Tatarforas
First thing next morning, after clearing out the mess they'd found at the Center, shutting down the facility and giving statements to the police - the Chief himself looking terribly unhappy to have to return to this wicked place - the Host and Mrs. Julie drove off to try to warn the surviving members of the group that the thread of the Fear organization was still looming and that they were not safe, that nobody was safe. Mrs. Julie was inspired enough to have typed in everyone's contact sheets details in the database, while the ensemble was still during its orientation phase back then, but it didn't matter all that much, since the first person they planned to check on was the one that Mafia didn't bother with anyway, considering that he had apparently shared a life with the enemy during all these years.

They reached the place and knocked on the door of Epignosis' house, only to stand there waiting for the next couple of minutes. Everything on the street was so quiet and they couldn't detect any signs of movement from inside the house either, which naturally made them worried. But then, to their surprise, it was Quin who swiftly opened the door and waved at them to hurry inside. He led them to the basement, where most of the people from the group were gathered.

'We're forming a good ol' lynch mob and putting an end to this', Quin explained right away.
'Jay is dead', Epignosis said, switching the channel to the breaking news story of the ongoing investigation in the city park.
'Oh my goodness', Mrs. Julie exclaimed as they showed blurred footage of Jay's dispatched body.
'The last of them surely did this', SVS pointed out.
'How do you know who it is?' the Host asked.
'Bruno Gadget, inspector, at your service', G-Man revealed. 'I was the one who gave the cops the intel on Elohcin yesterday. And this morning I received more information on who the third culprit is.'
'Bruno G...’ the Host uttered, almost to himself.
'Yeah, don't think about it too much', Wilgy said.
'By my understanding, the sources aren't 100%, but I think it's enough to go with and we should go take him down', G-Man carried on and everyone else nodded.
'Him?' the Host inquired further, at which point G-Man took a photo from the table and showed him the profile of the alleged third mafioso. 'I see...’ the Host thought to himself, 'the silent one.'
'I still don't understand why you couldn't come out sooner with these informations', SVS said a bit reprovingly. 'So many deaths happened in the meantime.'
'Believe me', G-Man proceeded to excuse himself, 'I hinted as best as I could, then I went straight to the police, when they arrived yesterday. As for why I couldn't profile this guy sooner, I had no signal in the cell last evening. I came to you all as soon as I received confirmation this morning.'
'It's true', Wilgy stepped in. 'I shared the cell with him and he was constantly agitated, complaining about the lack of signal.'

They seemed to be ready with the final details, overall. They preferred to confront the baddie in broad daylight, right away, rather than risk him attempting any more attacks, plotting something during the night or getting backup. Or worse, vanishing away without paying for what he had done. They weren't planning on getting violent, but just in case, G-Man was equipped on duty and Quin brought a family shotgun he licensed himself to use, so to speak. This surprised everyone a bit, since he didn't seem the type. But he told them he didn't feel good about the guy from the moment he stepped into the lobby room of the VR center and right now, all he had in mind was to settle things. Anyway, the Host wanted to address one more issue:

'Still, are you so confident it's him? What makes you trust each other? Do you have alibis for the past 12 hours?'
'Bugger that, I already told you I'm the inspector', G-Man reasserted.
'And I've already told you I've been with him', Wilgy reminded, then emphatically added, 'My name is Dr. Wilgy and I am most definitely a jailer! Plus, I followed Epignosis after we left and slept in his backyard, I really hate being alone.'
'Are you kidding me?’ Quin also replied, 'Do I look like a sly, determined murdered to any of you? I can't even go shopping or partying at Christmas, because people dressed up as Santa give me the creeps.'
'I got drunk', Epignosis added.
'And... What of Mrs. Daisy?' Mrs. Julie asked, realizing she wasn't present.
'No word on her', Quin replied.
'We should get going', Epignosis rolled up a map and turned the TV off.
'Anything to get out of this basement', SVS sighed.
'Yeah, what's up with that?' Wilgy noticed.

They were strategically splitting in two cars; the Host and Mrs. Julie would trail behind. The group found it curious that they came with a company van and thought it could look a bit suspicious, but when asked what it was for, the Host just replied, 'Equipment'. They set off for what would be a 45-minute drive towards the suburbs, according to G-Man's information. Epignosis, Quin and SVS were in the car ahead, G-Man and Wilgy sticking together in the former's vehicle. Things went smoothly until Epignosis turned right on the boulevard and, after a short time, realized he couldn't spot the second car, nor the van anymore. Before they could wonder if something had happened, the Host called to tell them they had stopped simply because G-Man was paranoid he had hit something with his car, when in fact it had been just a bump in the road.

They reached their destination and scattered both ways on a plain, quiet street with traditional homes, though the house they were planning on raiding looked a bit more decrepit, oozing a bad vibe. The Host and Mrs. Julie witnessed them approach the residence from different sides, as if executing a plan they'd concocted in great detail. But there was no response and no activity, so they reconvened to the cars and texted each other to keep watch. It proved an excruciating wait, during almost the entire rest of the day. But just as the sun was setting and they were about to give up and start doubting themselves or, truth be told, G-Man's claim, a hooded figured creeped in a rush, walking in fact right behind the Host's van and skittered inside the house. His hood had a dark colored animal skull drawn on its back.

The group executed the tactic once more, Quin's trio appearing to just stroll down the street, but with intent to sneak around the house, whilst G-Man and Wilgy went straight to the main door. They found it half-open this time, which prompted G-Man to reflexively take his gun out. The two teams synced somehow in penetrating the premise and running into one another in the lobby room, with no sign of anyone else. Then eerie, droney music started sounding from the room across. They warily pushed the sliding door and pointed their weapons at the rocking armchair at the other end of the room, behind which they could sense the man grumbling some incognizant sounds.

'Hands up, Rabbit', Quin immediately said.
'...lonely...'
'What's he saying?' SVS wondered.
'Lonely. Lonely.', the gurgling intensified.
'Hands up, I said', Quin repeated, 'We got you, you son of a bitch.'
'I'm lonely,' the voice kept on rambling.
'This is creeping me out', SVS took a step back.
'Where are... my teammates?' the sepulchral voice suddenly shrieked.

Everyone was startled and lost their resolve a bit, lowering their weapons and thinking they walked into something beyond their understanding. The figure stopped rocking in the chair.

'Your leader was arrested and your buddy Scot burst up in pieces', Epignosis said, keeping his coolness. The voice chortled gravely upon hearing this.
'Ah yes... I remember now...'
'Buddy, listen, just surrender and we won't hurt you. You're all alone now, there's nothing you can do anymore', G-Man pointed out.
'Alone...? Heh heh heh heh
'This is not good', SVS said.
'Heh heh heh heh'
'He's not listening, what should we do?' Quin pondered.
'How amusing of you to think I'm just a powerless pawn. You've caught the others, you say? Nothing more I can do, you say?'
The others stopped talking, their composure withering.
'But I am...FEAR ITSELF'

And as he leaped from his chair and turned to the others, his hood flew off revealing a ghastly slim body with rabbit ears growing in nightmarish size, a stream of blood pouring from each of his rolled up eyeballs and the white jacket he was wearing underneath running down the middle like a line of stitches.

'What the foark?!' Wilgy yelled.
'YOU FEEL THIS VICTORY EMPOWERS YOU', Rabbit went on in his demonic voice. G-Man tried to lift his gun back up and shoot, but he suddenly felt him arms paralyzed. Quin managed as far as to point the shotgun at him, but then he too couldn't move his twitching index any further.
'What's going on? Shoot him!' Epignosis shouted.
'YOU FEEL YOU HAVE FOUND REASON TO OVERCOME ANYTHING NOW.'
'I... can't... move', Quin gasped.
'BUT REAL FEARS DON'T HAVE A REASON. YOUR FEARS ARE IN YOUR DEEPEST INSTINCTS.'
'Aaargh', SVS was giving in.
'ONE LOOK AT ME AND FEAR WILL PENETRATE YOU.'
'Look away!' Epignosis said, shutting his eyes.
'USELESS!! LIKE PAST FEARS SUDDENLY APPEARING IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT, FEAR YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED ONCE WILL BECOME STRONGER WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES AND ECHO IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND.''

They were each slowly succumbing to projections or hallucinations and screaming their lungs out. SVS felt her body slipping slowly through the floor as if it were quicksand and she would descend all the way down to the depths of the earth, while still breathing. Quin felt reindeer horns protruding through his skin. Epignosis felt he was in a room squashed between countless people wearing rabbit masks and moshing, with their eyes glowing red. They were hollering and quavering, when, all of a sudden, a blast ripped through the vision of the fearsome demon rabbit before them, putting a stop to their envisioned phantasmagoria and sending the real sized human crashing into the bookcase. The Host and Mrs. Julie were standing behind them, holding up cannon-like artefacts.

'Quick', the Host said, 'each of you grab one of these.'
'What are they?' Quin asked.
'Fearblasters.'
'Fearblwhat?!' Wilgy squawked.
'It's one of our prototypes, meant to distort and rip through the representation of your fear whilst inside a projection. We just didn't have time to implemen-'
'Ok, enough of that, let's just do this', Epignosis cut him off and grabbed one of the guns.
'Use these', the Host continued, 'but more importantly... think of how strong you've become... think of your determination.'
'No... no...' Rabbit seemed to regain his senses in the meantime. They strapped on the fearblasters and faced him. The hallucination effect seemed to have reached its limit.
'NO,' Rabbit howled one more time, lunging at them before the cumulated blasts sent him flying through the wall.

They found him lying on the grass in the back garden, his torso blown up - Quin, it seemed, had forgotten to switch his shotgun -, gazing stunned at the starry sky.

'Heh, it's getting dark, huh', he babbled with a fainting voice, in between coughing blood, 'I always hated going outside after dark, at night. I fear looking at the sky... the stars, the planets... the outerworldliness of it all... it feels so crushing to be on this earth, surrounded in this globe by everything else out there...by sheer, void depth...'

His only wish was for them not to break off his rabbit ears - which they kinda respected, burying him only up to his forehead.

rabbit8, an astrophobe*, has been lynched.
He was
Patient 9, Vanilla mafia.
*ad lib: fear of the stars, outer space
Ricochet

[ENDGAME] Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Post by Ricochet »

I Fear the End Is Near, My Dear
'Boy, it sure feels good that it's all over', G-Man said, on their way back to the cars.
'Who you gonna call? Fear-busters!' DrWilgy sang, 'Huh. Has a nice ring to it.'
'You know what, I do feel better about myself after this', Quin remarked.
'I'm just happy this nightmare is over. Not that I asked for this nightmare in the first place, when I signed up for the therapy session, so my lawyer will be getting in touch', SVS sanctioned the Host.
'I feel nothing. I'm going home. Too much of a crowd here', Epignosis said.

The Host and Mrs. Julie simply exchanged looks, as always, thinking it was good enough of a resolution, given the circumstances.

If there was anything left to say, it was that none of them had sensed the presence of a second figure, a genuinely ghastly one, but nor were they bothered by it during this denouement. Spacedaisy had followed them, but simply decided to renounce her, shall we say, corporeal version. She was feeling very bored and apathetic, strolling through the human world with her constant duties and observing the people in general, when she noticed the advert for the Virtual Reality Medical Center therapy and thought to herself that it would be interesting to see what kind of strange fears people can be affected by; the concept of fear, rational or otherwise, was completely foreign to her, since she had nothing to fear of, not even death. She even gambled, out of amusement, to strip herself of her visionary powers, join the group appearing as a regular human and try to guess which of them would suffer the most from the experience and in what ways. In her medical form she wrote that she feared God, but she did so only in jest. Then, during that whole bizarre experience, she was mildly amused by the humans' ways of acting so scared or paranoid or murderous, but was surprised the victims didn't turn out quite the ones she predicted. Not that it mattered too much, but it made her powers feel... rusty. Reapers can have their own prestige to worry about, after all.

This day, she followed the surviving group in their seek for revenge and closure and it also proved interesting and visceral to witness. She was surprised of Rabbit's dark spiritual powers, as had not felt any trace of them back when he was mingling with the group, though she didn't find it too startling. Shit can happen. But now, with things finally settled, she took no further interest in these humans, simply spread her wings and flew back to the Shinigami Realm, overcome with boredom once more. Or at least a bit annoyed that her guessing skills were that off. If only a few of them, at least three, damnit.... She was greeted by the King as soon as she arrived.

'No luck this time, I see, eyyy?' the King addressed her in his slow, dead still voice.
'Not this time, I suppose,' she shrugged, perching on a cliff.
'Maybe next time', the King humored her. 'Tides can always turn one way or another. Isn't that so...' he stared deeper at her, '...Kami?'
'Mneh... care for some apples? They're so... juicyyy...'

Triskaidekaphobia Mafia has concluded! The civilian patients have won!
Congratulations to

DrWilgy, Epignosis, G-Man, insertnamehere, JaggedJimmyJay, Polo, Quin, S~V~S and Vompatti.
Thanks for playing!
Many thanks to juliets for modding and to TH and MP for the tech support.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Setup walkthrough
Role PM & Game phase

Every player in this game would receive an extra individual win condition. Even among Mafia ranks, this win condition would be strictly personal. Every player, except the independent, were meant to craft their own win condition i.e. decide on a gameplay event, meant to affect them, that they'd fear the most. The independent received a win con crafted by the Host, but was also meant to make his own projections. Each player's fate was his own doing.

All 14 players were also asked (but not required) to write up a personal phobia story, which would have been incorporated in the Host Posts.

Civilian Roles

Patient 1. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 2. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 3. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 5. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 6. Paranoid cop (stylised, odds). Every Night, can check a player to determine his alignment, but there is a 10% chance he will get a distorted read (a random role from a different faction) compared to the actual alignment. Odds will worsen (increase) with each civilian death during the game, maxing at 60%, yet improve (decrease) for every mafia death. Receives one free ID on another civilian at the end of D0, but it too will fall within the 10% chance of being a distorted read. The cop will not be self-aware of his sanity during the game - receives a role card that informs him of traditional cop duties, but with a slight questioning of this fact.
Patient 7. Paranoid doctor. Every Night, can choose to protect a player from being nightkilled, but his target will also be roleblocked. The doc will not be self-aware of his sanity - receives a role card that informs him of traditional doc duties, but with a slight questioning of the fact.
Patient 8. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 10. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 11. Vanilla civilian.
Patient 12. Vanilla civilian.

Mafia Roles

Patient 4. Vanilla mafia.
Patient 9. Vanilla mafia.
Patient 13. Paranoid mafia leader. Receives a role card that informs him of his sanity and that one of his teammates may be plotting against him. Can secretly override the team's decision for a nightkill (by sending his own choice via PM to the Host) and can target any player whatsoever, but is restricted to one successful kill per faction. [Unbeknownst to him, his paranoia is unfounded and there is no adversity within the mafia ranks. His kill move will still go through, however, if he chooses to send it.]

Independent

The Reaper. Win grabber. Must submit via PM, at the start of the game (until the end of Day 0), the names of three players it predicts will be lynched, three players that will be nightkilled and three players that will end up winless (will not be told what this implies). Cannot include itself in any of these guesses. If any three of these predictions happen, achieves win and exits the game. Must also survive the game until win condition is fulfilled.
Roles distribution
All 14 roles were randomly distributed, as seen in this link.
RolePlayerPhobiaPower roleGame fearStatus
Patient 1
Vompatti
Odontopiptophobe (fear of teeth falling)
Vanilla civilian
Being nightkilled on Night 2
Died before it could happen.
Patient 2
sig
Asthenophobe (approx*: fear of chronic weakness)
Vanilla civilian
Being nightkilled on Night 1
Succumbed.
Patient 3
insertnamehere
Mafiaphobe (ad lib**: fear of mafia)
Vanilla civilian
Being voted by JJJ on Day 1
Did not happen.
Patient 5
JaggedJimmyJay
Cnidophobe (approx: fear of flying insect stings)
Vanilla civilian
Being lynched on Day 1
Did not happen.
Patient 6
G-Man
Vehochtypóphobe (ad lib**: fear of hitting someone with the car)
Paranoid cop (stylised, odds)
Being voted by Epignosis or Polo
on Day 2
Did not happen.
Patient 7
DrWilgy
Isolophobe (fear of loneliness)
Paranoid doctor
Receiving final votes from any player 3 distinct times by Day 4
Voted only one time, never fulfilled.
Patient 8
S~V~S
Taphophobe (fear of being buried alive)
Vanilla civilian
Leading a mislynch on Day 1 (being followed by a majority of the mislynch voters)
Did not happen.
Patient 10
Epignosis
Enochlophobe (fear of crowds)
Vanilla civilian
Did not happen.
Patient 11
Polo
Nycteggizophobe (ad lib**: fear of something approaching in the dark)
Vanilla civilian
Being lynched on Day 2
Did not happen.
Patient 12
Quin
Clausophobe (fear of Santa Claus)
Vanilla civilian
Did not happen.
Patient 4
Scotty
Automatonocibophobe (ad lib**: fear of food turning sentient inside his stomatch)
Vanilla mafia
Being nightkilled!
Did not happen.
Patient 9
rabbit8
Astrophobe (ad lib**: fear of the stars, outer space)
Vanilla mafia
[designated]Being checked as mafia on Night 3
Did not happen.
Patient 13
Elohcin
Unknown
Paranoid mafia leader
Being lynched on Day 2
Did not happen.
The ReaperSpacedaisyFears nothingIndependent--
*approximate term for how the player described his fear
**fully or partially made up term for the player's chosen fear
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Host Diary, Quirks, References
Bottom line

-- Power roles decided the outcome.
-- Cop's choices were on point and was lucky only to have one of it altered; G-Man chose a blunt, balls-to-the-walls tactic and trusted his reads even after it was revealed they could be corrupted, but luckily it all turned out well
-- Doc's banter was on point, but he also made the right moves when it mattered (protecting the outed Cop); probably became aware of his sanity, as soon as he failed to protect himself on Night 2
-- Mafia had a strong tide at first - some civs guessing the baddies, but failing to capitalise several times - but then got busy, did not march on manipulating the civs to chew each other up and they did not properly hunt for the power roles at all - the most bewildering thing was that G-Man outed himself to a mafioso, by trying to persuade rabbit to move his vote off confirmed civ INH, on Day 2; afterwards in BTSC, rabbit was, like, "hey let's kill a low poster" :doh: Their choice to go ahead with targeting G-Man on Night 3 gave the civilians complete advantage
-- Spacedaisy would have won if G-Man would have died on Night 3 :sigh:
/
G-Man
DrWilgy
Mafia
Spacedaisy
Day 0
INH
(genuine)
[10%]
-
-
lynched: Wilgy - Sig - Elohcin
killed: JJJ - G-Man - Rabbit
winless: Vompatti - Quin - Serge/SVS
Night 1
Scotty
(distorted-> Reaper)
[20%]
INH
Sig
Night 2
Elohcin
(genuine)
[40%]
DrWilgy
(autofailed)
Polo
Night 3
SVS
(blocked)
[40%]
G-Man
G-Man
(failed)
Night 4
rabbit8
(genuine)
[30%]
Spacedaisy
JJJ
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Host Diary, Quirks, References (cont.)
Diary

(placing them under spoilers just to save up space)

Day 0
Spoiler: show
-- casual banter, at first
-- Elohcin and Scotty were quick to pick up on guideline 10
-- sig picked up on missing rule #4 (but not on any other missing guideline or rule); curiously, he also developed an angle out of the fact that mafia only has nightly BTSC; Wilgy poked him for it; Elohcin commented on sig's BTSC topic, balancing personal baddie meta with distancing herself from her mafia self
-- Vompatti was not even remotely taking anything seriously
-- JJJ pushed for talk to develop: read sig good (✓), Elohcin decent (✘) [Quin found latter pre-emptive, but appreciated the reasoning], Vompatti good (✓) [Quin more curious about this]
-- Quin stated his intention to vote 'no lynch', got into argument with JJJ
-- SVS was pinged by sig's observations, but saw him in a good light nonetheless
-- sig also pleased with Elohcin's (✘) reply and compliments; found SVS's comments odd (✘); found debate over D1-no lynch pointless
-- Spacedaisy pinged that JJJ would place his own lynch as more beneficial than a no lynch; pleased with reasoning, afterwards (✓)
-- JJJ pinged by Scotty implying he (JJJ) invited self-lynches (✓)
-- Spacedaisy received a ping from SVS, but it seemed to vanish after one reasoning post
-- INH got combative with JJJ's viewpoints (✘)
-- discussion died down by the end of the Phase
-- G-Man received a genuine (i.e. not distorted by the 10%) role check on INH being civilian
Day 1
healthy activity, but civs were not hitting the spot overall and there was also an unprecedented (for The Syndicate standards) "no lynch" wave, three quarters of the phase, not to mention a clumsy game of claims
-- rabbit was the "dart-throwiest" of the mafiosos, with surprising good results: mildly painted SVS as having empty pings (which managed to even lure JJJ in); got read genuine in his efforts by some big hunters (JJJ, G-Man, sig); Scotty got exposed the most to some wag-of-finger, especially with fixating on low posters
-- Elohcin made the riskiest moves on the radar: pushing for sig as suspect after JJJ's fakepeek and trying to test the validity of JJJ's peek a bit too closely
-- JJJ intuitively started the fakepeek cover-up, but then for a while nobody played along; G-Man (the real cop) even contested the legality of the move, but only due to rules phrasing; finally Wilgy tags along; both JJJ's and Wilgy's fakepeeks were civ-on-civ
-- not to mention that Wilgy docclaimed fairly early and open - not even sure how well hidden within banter
-- unbeneficial "no lynch" wave (with INH particularly uncooperative), from which two baddies (Elohcin and Scotty) also tried to push for a mislynch (Vompatti)
-- unbeneficial civ-on-civ antagonisms: INH vs JJJ, Epignosis pooping on JJJ's or INH's efforts (granted, also profiled Scotty correctly), Polo being chastised for low activity
-- to the admiration of the Host, some of the players opened up to the possibility of an indie, despite the actual indie not being close to what they had in mind
-- BOOM, suddenly G-Man had two out of three baddies called out
-- unfortunately, both major players to name Scotty bad (Epignosis, G-Man) moved on civilian alternatives instead
-- Vompatti lynched after EoD pileup; SVS second wagon (with Wilgy making late switch on her); all three baddies on mislynch, first three final votes
-- as far as "greatest fears" go, D1 challenged four out of 13 players, but none of them were affected:
  • Wilgy was in no danger
    S~V~S wasn't really as engaged and hunt-leading as she envisioned herself
    meanwhile, INH was seriously playing with fire, poking at JJJ
    JJJ himself got some heat to maybe elicit some worries about getting lynched
-- with Vompatti dying during this phase without his greatest fear coming true and SVS overcoming her fear, two of Spacedaisy's (The Reaper) choices for winless players became invalid
Night 1
-- thread: post-mislynch antagonism between JJJ and Wilgy over Wilgy's switch to counter-wagon; Eloh tags along the question
-- new reads from some: Quin is among the rare to both like Scotty and get a badvibe on rabbit; JJJ has no badread on civilians, but only pinged by Scotty of the mafia and wary of indie Spacedaisy; G-Man relies on leaving his Day 1 reads roughly the same
-- Mafiosos mostly balance the idea of eliminating someone that can't be traced to them and someone that they would not have good chances to persuade the following Day: they go with Sig over Quin
-- DrWilgy chose to protect INH; since INH was vanilla, roleblocking him was not disruptive
-- G-Man received a distorted check (20%, after one mislynch) on Scotty!! Furthermore, between the two non-mafia factions, the dice made it so that G-Man received info on Scotty being The Reaper!!
-- sig was the first casualty of the "greatest fear" mechanic; Quin and Epignosis survived their challenge; the way the mafia team oscillated between sig and Quin, one of these players was sadly bound to lose his win condition
-- another two of Spacedaisy's guesses became invalid: sig was nightkilled, not lynched; Quin overcame his fear
Day 2
-- yikes!
-- visual representation of the EoD
-- INH and JJJ ended up tied, INH lost the coin toss
-- G-Man, Polo and Elohcin survived their greatest fear; Wilgy received a final vote from Polo
Night 2
-- mild in-thread activity: Epignosis still finger-pointy at JJJ, the latter tried up new possible connections (all landing on civs)
-- mafia choose between low posters, considering Quin, Polo or Spacedaisy, Scotty goes with Polo; Scotty did some actual cop projecting (wrongly considering SVS or Polo to be likely), otherwise not a lot of focus from the team on the issues - which is especially surprising, since G-Man outed him in front of rabbit8, of all peeps
-- DrWilgy protected himself... which means he also blocked himself... which means he couldn't protect himself... yet if he protected himself... he could haven't blocked himself... meaning he protected himself... which means he also blocked himself... oh God, someone page Schrödinger!
-- G-Man checked (40% distortion odds currently: two mislynches, one civ death) a second Mafia member in a row and this time received a genuine check on Elohcin!
-- with Polo's death and there being not enough Days left until Day 4 for Wilgy to receive three votes from someone on three separate occasions, Wilgy survived his greatest fear
Day 3
-- G-Man went blunt dump with his genuine check on Eloh; she surrendered out of frustration and couldn't redress much afterwards
-- claimwars ensued, with the mafiosos conforming straight away to buss Eloh, while the civs bickered over technicalities and second-guessing
-- with Elohcin lynched, Spacedaisy finally got one of her guesses right
-- with Elohcin gone, Scotty can no longer be nightkilled by her (he was never in danger, though), so he survived his greatest fear
Night 3
-- crazy chain of events behind the scenes, but overall the civs gained serious advantage, because the mafia team didn't really thought things through: the Doc (Wilgy) did the natural thing and protected the Cop (G-Man), although he also blocked him from checking (no read on SVS). FWIW, Scotty had a bit of foresight, nonetheless settled for trying to eliminate G-Man. It failed.
-- since G-Man had no check, rabbit was in no danger of being checked mafia, hence survived his greatest fear; this game mechanics has thus wrapped up, with sig as the only winless victim
-- if G-Man would have died, Spacedaisy would have checked her second guess out of three required to win; alas, she remained at 1/3
Day 4
-- thread exploded with speculation regarding the failed night kill and G-Man's, then Wilgy's infodumps.
-- Wilgy's role is pretty much figured out, except that it's considered the non-bastard, non-paranoid version; his jailkeeper lying antics were... odd, overall
-- G-Man's role not quite elucidated, although he is starting to doubt his own efficiency and Quin was closest to realizing the power roles are paranoid, except that JJJ shot the theory down, because the cop wouldn't fit the traditional description (since I modded it)
-- Spacedaisy claims her indy status, to help the civs process the inconsistencies further
-- both mafioso in danger, although serious civ antagonism between JJJ and S~V~S, the latter witch hunted for her performance and apparent connections with Elohcin
-- the results of a few voters settling with Scotty and second wagons dissipating, Scotty gets caught
Night 4
-- mafia still not eliminating an outed civ power role = Image
-- Wilgy protected/blocked Spacedaisy, he'll probably use it to clear her of being the last mafia
-- G-Man checked rabbit8 (30% distortion odds currently: two mislynches + two civ deaths - two lynched mafia) and got a genuine read on him being mafia
-- further dice rolling: randomized prize between role reveal and quirk reveal = role; randomized result between cop, doctor and Reaper = cop
-- with JJJ's death, Spacedaisy got her second out of three correct guesses need to win; unfortunately, she needs Wilgy lynched or G-Man dead to win and both seem unlikely, since Wilgy will protect G-Man yet again, if the game persists through Night 5
Day 5
-- G-Man trusts the check he received, end of story
Quirks

The common taboo/unlucky numbers 4 (China), 9 (Japan) and 13 (Western countries) were always excluded from counts and helped design the mafia team. The gameplay and rules lists skipped these numbersand the cycle of Day/Night 4 was jumped (without any gameplay effects). This was also meant as subtle hinting at which patients were mafia, although I immediately had to restrict some infodumping liberties, because civs picking up on this and testing the patient # claim w/could have broken the game for the mafia and the indy.

And now's the time for you to hate me, because Guideline 10, asking players to never end a phase with 4, 9 or 13 (or multiples) posts, was the element of anxiety or "fearing something for no reason" - after all, I didn't put it in the rules section, did I? :grin:

The civilian power roles also received thematic numbers, based on the popular joke "why is Six afraid of Seven" - and because symmetry. Technically, the Doctor (Patient 7) could have blocked (alongside protecting) the Cop (Patient 6) and hence undermine one of his efforts. Ironically, Wilgy DID undermine G-Man's efforts on Night 3.

The idea of an indy developed simply after I've written the "Who Fears the Reaper" pun in the signup poll.

References
Day 0 Host Post and Poll
  • -- the title is a reference to an animated short by Don Hertzfeldt, about a man whose anxieties and social issues make everything, in fact, totally not OK. Plus, I'm clearly obsessed with my meta, but this title also made a connection to my final story from E.S.T. Mafia, which also used a lot of references from Hertzfeldt's animations.
    -- juliets, as the MoD, was introduced in the flavor as Mrs. Julie, the Host's sidekick (same thing happened in E.S.T. with MP / Socky)
    -- the common exclusion of floor 13 in buildings, due to triskaidekaphobia issues, was referenced
    -- the taboo numbers 4, 9, 13 were referenced as the only floors at which the elevator had stopped
    -- floor 12 and 1/2 is a reference to floor 7 and 1/2 from the Charlie Kaufman scripted Being John Malkovich. Kaufman's own recent movies (Synechdoche, Anomalisa) also happen to reference a lot of mental disorders or themes of anxiety
    -- "Halloway" is my prefered English nick (full)name. I also checked and there is a phobia counsellor called "James Holloway", but I don't like Holloway as much.
    -- the "Virtual Reality Medical Center" is both tongue-in-cheek for this forum gaming experience and an actual business
    -- "Dunder Miffling, this is P[am]" is a popular catchphrase from The Office. The line was written as a confusing moment, meant to foreshadow the Night 1 "Mulholland ruse"
    -- the poll was off-topic, irrelevant and created in jest, also referencing The Office; I had also trolled The Office Mafia with this off-topic question
    -- the song Afraid of Everyone by The National references the Host's anthropophobia in the story and its title was also used as the "No" option in the sign-up poll
Day 1
  • -- the story references several events and posts written by players during Day 0 or merely catchphrases: Serge ("the sergeant") leaving and SVS arriving; Quin being worried enough to be counting his posts (screwing up, too); Wilgy's catchphrase (also a subtle irony at him being, in fact, the town doctor); Vompatti's posts devoid of real content; Jay's initiative to generate discussion and "lynch priorities" convo with Spacedaisy; Sig noticing the missing #4 guideline and rule
    -- The Office references continued, to generate outside meta for the "Mulholland ruse"; the scene in which the players end up debating Hilary Swank's hotness is a reference to the pointless Day 0 poll and a recreation of an actual scene in the show (with Polo being Oscar)
    -- Twin Peaks references (the "Lynch" in the title; The Red Room; a quote about fear belonging to D. Cooper) also started being introduced, for the same meta purpose meant to foreshadow the "Mulholland ruse"; INH, the originator of the "Mulholland" concept, was written to always pick up on these references
    -- "Redrum" is a catchphrase from Kubrick's The Shining
    -- 13 is referenced in how many floors the group descends towards the Red Room and also in page 39 (13x3) from the brochure (which in fact does not exist - triskaidekaphobia)
    -- Panda Bear's Take Pills was the only song I could think of, in reference to the medication issues the Host had in the story
Night 1
  • -- the story adapted moments from the player's activity: the game of claims, INH suspecting JJJ, etc.
    -- "Mulholland ruse" elements: INH talking in Spanish; the "Did I Stutter" moment from The Office
    -- the Vompatti projection was a reference to a scene from Being John Malkovich
    -- Frank Zappa's Baby, Take Your Teeth Out references Vompatti's phobia (and usual, real-life banter talk about teeth)
Silencio
  • -- basically a complete derail of the story, to complete the "Mulholland ruse"
    -- the four blurry pictures of hallways, leading up to the "Red Room", and the Finnish conversation with Vompatti were intentional [the lines in Finnish were entirely nonsensical and unrelated to the game or each other]; the pictures were also referenced in the Host Post;
    -- elements added in the mix: triskaidekaphobia (the thirteenth button); taboo number 9 & circles of hell from Dante's Inferno (how many "levels" the group descended); the bartender ghost's line from The Shining; SVS's taphophobia and Polo's nyctophobia
Day 2
  • -- references towards the seven who voted to mislynch Vompatti, the post-mislynch animosity between some players, G-Man using my Day 1 Post to argue how many baddies there are, JJJ's love for ping-pong
Night 2
  • -- story incorporates the confrontation between JJJ and Epignosis (and a few others), G-Man trying to hint at being the one with real info
    -- Jay's line "Oh Dr. Halloway, they gon kill me" is actually a paraphrase of a PM Jay sent me midway through the phase
    -- references added: Matrix (the logic of dying in VR terminating your real life as well), Epignosis saying "you're the killer, bob" => Killer BOB and the paraphrase "no hay mafia" from Twin Peaks
    -- both JJJ and INH had stories ready; I improvised a fake phobia for INH, since he never sent me his own text; story breaks out the meta window, by having INH leave the Center killdome, but get killed by actual mobsters
    -- Talking Heads' Fear of Music was used to paraphrase "Fear of Mafia" for INH's fake phobia, plus to reference INH's early wish (during sign-ups) for this to be his role. "Fear of Mafia" was also used by MP in his THM game.
Day 3
  • -- story incorporates Polo's chosen phobia, including excerpts from the actual text he sent me
    -- references added or repeated: talk about Hilary Swank's "koinophilia" from The Office, the catchphrase about coffee from Twin Peaks, triskaidekaphobia (the thing about B turning into 13 - or in fact the inversion of that, because Schönberg [see below]), G-Man's lines beginning with B, a few phrases already used in Silencio
    -- "Please. Accept the mystery" is a line from the Coen Brothers' A Serious Man
    -- Nacht (Night) is the 8th part of Arnold Schönberg's vocal-chamber masterpiece Pierrot Lunaire; Schönberg is probably the most notorious triskaidekaphobic ever - and basically the inspiration for this game. The Host Post title (in German) is the first verse from the piece and its English translation is also paraphrased into the text at one point ("somber, shadowy, giant mothwings"); the verse "dank fumes of the lower darkness" is also incorporated.
Night 3
  • -- story incorporates the "intel" on Elohcin and her being caught
    -- references: indirectly, triskaidekaphobia (the Browns' 13th anniversary)
    -- Elohcin never provided a phobia story and, while I came up with phobias for other players (INH, rabbit), I chose not to craft one for the Patient 13 itself
    -- Fear March is a dark folk song by Faun Fables; strict thematical references (and the name crafted into the mafia's organization name into the main story)
Day 4
  • -- story ends with a twist on the idea that someone would be killed (when in fact, there was no kill) by revealing only INH's death, from Night 2, to the other characters
    -- references, recurring or otherwise: SVS's phobia, Lt. Sock, the TV show Chuck (which MP began co-hosting at that time), the Fear March established crime organization
    -- Gong's Can't Kill Me was about all I could find in my playlist related to the fact that G-Man survived the night kill
Night 4
  • -- story incorporates Scotty's phobia and G-Man's letter B gimmick
    -- the latter was crafted in the first half of the Host Post - all the new paragraphs or dialogue lines starting with B, the text itself "B"ursting with B-letter alliterations - in the eventuality that G-Man would have been lynched
    -- references: Scotty's fantasy phobia, transposed via the movie Alien, the scene where the monster bursts from Kane's body closely recreated (some of the lines and scene description being copied from the script of the movie)
    -- the Doors' song was about the easiest connection I could make with Scotty's storyline death
Day 5
  • -- story incorporates JJJ's phobia
    -- references: triskaidekaphobia (mention of 13 patient forms), JJJ's frisbee passion, flachettes (small needles fired from a needlegun) in reference to JJJ's phobia
    -- Flaming Lips' The Terror strictly game-theme-related
Final Battle
  • -- story incorporates the near unanimous lynch on Rabbit, the remaining players' stated phobias, the Cop's and Doc's powers
    -- references: Inspector Gadget in relation to G-Man's investigative role and B-gimmick (combination of Bruno Bianchi, who created the show - letter B - and the Gadget character - letter G), his B-gimmick further emphasized in the dialogue (all his lines starting with B), Quin's Santa phobia, SVS's taphophobia, Wilgy's phobia of loneliness, Wilgy's catchphrase, Ghostbusters ("Fearblasters")
    -- the title, Rabbit's evil appearance and most of his lines stem from the manga Bleach, in which an antagonist had the power to instill fear into his opponents and his final transformation was "Tatarforas", a made up word, as far as I can tell, for "Fear of God"
    -- Tangerine Dream's Astrophobia (from Mars Polaris) references rabbit8's designated phobia (he never sent me a story, so I chose for him and picked this phobia simply so I could use the song)
Epilogue
  • -- final lines, in character or not, from the surviving civs and a wrap up story for Spacedaisy the Reaper
    -- references: Ghostbusters (Wilgy humming the catchphrase of the song's chorus), G-Man's B-gimmick (his line starting with B), Spacedaisy's game task and the manga/anime Death Note - Shinigami, Shinigami King - as well as Spacedaisy having played and won as "Kami" in the Syndicate game
    -- Pink Floyd's Fearless to signal the civ's victory and invert the theme of the game
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 457
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: [ENDGAME] Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Super neato. Good game baddies and Daisy.

Thanks for a huge effort, Rico. You wrote as many words in this game as I did. I enjoyed reading your novels; they were a lot of fun.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Good team win, townies. Way to weather a crappy start and turn it around decisively. :beer:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Why didn't you pick "Cure" on Night 4, townies? Poor Sig... :sigh:

You'll receive PMs tomorrow in order to vote for an MVP. Easier that way, I think.

Now, time to clean my hands of this red host makeup.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 121

Post by G-Man »

Boo freaking yah! Thank goodness rabbit was the last baddie. I really did just post 'kill da wabbit' without reading what Quin posted about my real rolecard. After I read that, I got panicky. I hate the high-pressure environment of late-game phases. While I would love to take all the credit for peeking at all three baddies, my civ game is still weak. This was at most half my instincts and at least half a blind squirrel finding a few nuts.

I owe SVS an apology and a hardcore defense the next time I know she's civ. :blush:

Also, great hosting Rico! I'm a fellow flavor fan and I enjoyed the lengthy phase posts.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Thanks to all of you for a "No Drama" game. Made my job easier and the game more pleasant. Congrats to the civs for winning and good job mafia and Spacedaisy. Compliments to the host for a good game. Now everyone go sign up for Epi's game!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 26

Post by sig »

Ha I knew Eloh was being lying when she said I was a good player. :P

Anyway I was laying cover for the cop, I screwed up though by getting myself night killed the first night when that was my greatest fear. :(
ImageImage
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 26

Post by sig »

Also great game everyone, thanks Rico I had fun. :D
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 147

Post by Quin »

YAy

Gj to all us civs and gg!!
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 104

Post by DrWilgy »

Woo!
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 68
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

GG civs. You guys got us fair and square :nicenod:

That GMan Indie peek really threw me for a loop. I probably should have just run with it.

I'm afraid I'll have to try harder next time. Thanks for the game, Rico!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Strats that worked: Pointing out that Gman was the cop to verify JJJ's alignment.

Calling myself most definitely a jailer instead of the doctor that I am.

Bluffing that I could jail myself.

Having a good feel of SVS's game.

Having Epi cast doubt on me.

Strats that failed horribly: trying to get Gman to say a fake green peek on either Quin or Epi to give me cover (had Gman done so I don't think I would have needed to bluff)

Not being here to move my vote off INH.

Not going with my gut and murking Eloh the moment I had a bad read on her.

~

A good experience over all. Thank you for the game host and friends.
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

1st win as an actual doctor btw... Quite exciting... Also I think it fits me that I was paranoid.
Image Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 147

Post by Quin »

I'm surprised that I wasn't completely wrong about everything this time. I was doubting myself since I consistently townread two baddies and was still alive even though I was pushing my suspicions pretty strongly
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 39

Post by Spacedaisy »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Super neato. Good game baddies and Daisy.

Thanks for a huge effort, Rico. You wrote as many words in this game as I did. I enjoyed reading your novels; they were a lot of fun.
I did not win.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 39

Post by Spacedaisy »

Oh, I misread what you were saying Jay. I totally was just chilling the whole game, did nothing and just tried to place as civ friendly votes as possible. After I sent my guesses in, I promptly forgot them all and never tried to influence the game at all. Maybe if I had it would have turned out differently for me, lol.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

DrWilgy wrote:Strats that worked: Pointing out that Gman was the cop to verify JJJ's alignment.
Don't recall that.
DrWilgy wrote: Strats that failed horribly: trying to get Gman to say a fake green peek on either Quin or Epi to give me cover (had Gman done so I don't think I would have needed to bluff)
Yeah... what?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

sig wrote:Ha I knew Eloh was being lying when she said I was a good player. :P

Anyway I was laying cover for the cop, I screwed up though by getting myself night killed the first night when that was my greatest fear. :(
Your sacrifice is appreciated. :noble:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 28

Post by insertnamehere »

Absolutely amazingly designed game Rico, the concept of making people choose their own win conditions is the kind of bonkers stuff that makes me really love Mafia. Shame nobody actually achieved their own; I wonder what that says about us. The host posts were legendarily verbose, and even when I was voted out, I still came into the thread solely to read the new chapter of the story you were writing.

As for my own gameplay: :faint: would be an accurate encapsulation. My plan going in was to not-so-subtly poke 3J for whatever I could find flimsy justification for. Shame he didn't bite, and just saw this as normal INH behavior. :p

And then I got lynched in a fairly shitty way.

So there we go! Congrats to the other civilians, who y'know, did stuff, and good game to the baddies and SD!
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

D-did you understand the fear factor the other way around? :o It wasn't a win condition... it was a win canceller. You were meant to fight against it. If you misunderstood that, then it's no wonder you poked JJJ so much to vote you - I thought you were mad.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined to play and gave me the incentive to mess around with the theme and the "Silencio" ruse, after Epignosis mentioned it in the sign-ups. I've improvised like 80% of what I've written, as the game took shape and went along.

And ah yes, my literature tutor told me I was verbose back in 12th grade... guess I failed her. :sigh: :p
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote:D-did you understand the fear factor the other way around? :o It wasn't a win condition... it was a win canceller. You were meant to fight against it. If you misunderstood that, then it's no wonder you poked JJJ so much to vote you - I thought you were mad.
Er, yes, of course I knew that! I didn't just read your instructions on my phone in the middle of the night and then proceeded to draw an incorrect conclusion, no siree.

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

i'm so good at mafia
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I didn't get it either... I was like, this explains why sig drew so much attention on Day 1!
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Ricochet wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:Strats that worked: Pointing out that Gman was the cop to verify JJJ's alignment.
Don't recall that.

It was actually this exchange here
DrWilgy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:No GMAN don't fall for it!!

Voting JJJ now.
Your train of thought is confusing me. What?
There was no thought that went into that action.
I thought to dangle Gman in front of JJJ. My thoughts were this: If Gman is killed the following night, JJJ is bad, If I'm (attempted to be) killed (I was planning on protecting myself that night which i did) Gman is bad, and If no one is killed then either Gman and JJJ are both baddies or we are all civvies. Luckily it worked out how I wanted and no baddie noticed me dangling Cop in front of them.
DrWilgy wrote: Strats that failed horribly: trying to get Gman to say a fake green peek on either Quin or Epi to give me cover (had Gman done so I don't think I would have needed to bluff)
Yeah... what?

Yeah, when I went back to "I'm not the jailer" I tried to imply that Gman should throw a green peek. Him throwing a green peek meant that there could've just been a hiding civvie healer, instead of a role blocker (or both), who wasn't me.
Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

^Ooh, that makes sense now.

And I do remember that quote now, but thought you just realised G-Man is copclaiming and wanted him not to expose himself so hard. Interesting actual purpose.
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 56

Post by rabbit8 »

Good game, sorry I got fucked last week with work....
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

So, upon having all the data, would you say this game had 3 power roles or 4? To be honest, once I introduced the Reaper/indy into the design, I settled for the idea that I'm expanding it past the 3 PR rule, but during the game, Day 4 mostly, when asked, I had to imply that the game stays grounded, as to not drive the civs paranoid (I think Quin had come up with up to 5 or 6 roles in total :huh:). Still, I stand by what I replied to G-Man, actually: I don't see how "surviving the game" or "needing to achieve a win con" is a literal ability/power role, despite that the Survivor is a traditional third party "role". Then again, if you count The Reaper as a power role, Elohcin was basically vanilla as long as she did not send any action, so, in a way, it was still closer to not exceeding the limit.

Plus, and I couldn't actually consult with JJJ (since he had signed up) or any balance maestro (mostly for not wanting to spoil my setup to anyone else :grin:), but I don't think I found an actual logical balance in setting the civ power roles on "paranoid" and coming up with the mafia leader's gimmick. It was more improv, really. The latter was in fact inspired by a fully Paranoia-designed game on Mafiascum I stumbled upon in my searches, which had a Paranoid Godfather who was led to believe there'd be an Usurper or such in his team (but he, just like Elohcin, also chose to ignore it and trust his team)... but that was pretty much all I could come up with. I did judge that any "beneficial" mafia power (Godfather, Strongman, Blocker) role would be too advantageous for the mafia side, given that the Cop could get fooled by his reads without even knowing it, so basic level in my design was all three mafiosos being vanilla. Then I thought the paranoid mafia leader thing might in principle create some disadvantage for mafia, just like the paranoid civ roles were already creating possible disadvantage for the civilians... hence even out.

I did post a question on EpicMafia's reddit about what mafia power role I could use if I were to paranoid the cop and doc, but they replied, "yeah just use cop and nerf the doctor", which was uhm ok, not helpful.
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:So, upon having all the data, would you say this game had 3 power roles or 4? To be honest, once I introduced the Reaper/indy into the design, I settled for the idea that I'm expanding it past the 3 PR rule, but during the game, Day 4 mostly, when asked, I had to imply that the game stays grounded, as to not drive the civs paranoid (I think Quin had come up with up to 5 or 6 roles in total :huh:). Still, I stand by what I replied to G-Man, actually: I don't see how "surviving the game" or "needing to achieve a win con" is a literal ability/power role, despite that the Survivor is a traditional third party "role". Then again, if you count The Reaper as a power role, Elohcin was basically vanilla as long as she did not send any action, so, in a way, it was still closer to not exceeding the limit.
Tisk tisk. :disappoint:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ricochet wrote:So, upon having all the data, would you say this game had 3 power roles or 4? To be honest, once I introduced the Reaper/indy into the design, I settled for the idea that I'm expanding it past the 3 PR rule, but during the game, Day 4 mostly, when asked, I had to imply that the game stays grounded, as to not drive the civs paranoid (I think Quin had come up with up to 5 or 6 roles in total :huh:). Still, I stand by what I replied to G-Man, actually: I don't see how "surviving the game" or "needing to achieve a win con" is a literal ability/power role, despite that the Survivor is a traditional third party "role". Then again, if you count The Reaper as a power role, Elohcin was basically vanilla as long as she did not send any action, so, in a way, it was still closer to not exceeding the limit.
This depends again on one's definition of "power role". I would not identify any role which is not functionally more powerful than a vanilla role as a power role. With that in mind, I wouldn't call Daisy a power role -- she was non-vanilla, but not any more powerful than a vanilla. She had a unique scenario to predict and pursue; this is mechanically different from vanilla but not stronger than vanilla. Elohcin's role might barely be a power role, since she can use her night ability to progress her own perceived win condition. If it's stronger than vanilla though, it's not by much.

G-Man and DrWilgy were definitely power roles. So I'd say you obeyed the heist guidelines, even if with a little bit of loophole action. You had 2.5 or 3 power roles IMO.

I think for the most part the balance was okay. In a 10:3:1 closed setup, two power roles for town is a nice standard. The standard for the same numbers in an open setup is one power role, but when it's closed that tends to be a small default mafia advantage. Overall it might have been a little town-slanted, only because cop/doctor is one of the strongest power role combinations a town can have (particularly when infodumping is legal). I don't tend to put those roles together unless the mafia team has at least one significant counter (like a godfather or a strongman). This is nitpicking though; I think you did a nice job on balance Rico.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Perhaps the single moment that most favored town was when G-Man's role was revealed without him dying. That essentially removed him from the suspect pool, and Spacedaisy with him. The only angle the mafia had left late in the game to try and get out of trouble was to perpetuate the paranoia that G-Man might be bad.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

But was Eloh the one who submitted the team's nightly kill as the Godfather until she died or did they function as a hive-mind on the kills?

If the latter, would their kill have been preventable at all before it was down to just rabbit? If so, please explain how. With a few heist games in queue the idea of a decentralized baddie team intrigues me.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Bah, nevermimd. I read the baddie BTSC thread. Not sure I've ever been on a baddie team without a designated leader to request all the kills.

If the player making the kill submission were to be blocked, would the kill be blocked? Or would it only be thwarted by blocking the baddie carrying out the kill?
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
What's that for?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Perhaps the single moment that most favored town was when G-Man's role was revealed without him dying. That essentially removed him from the suspect pool, and Spacedaisy with him. The only angle the mafia had left late in the game to try and get out of trouble was to perpetuate the paranoia that G-Man might be bad.
Well it was technically further luck for you guys, because I had to randomise between "role reveal" and "quirk reveal", then between "cop", "doc" and "Reaper". Came out that way. Plus, I get what you're saying, but I had no vibe of any civ reaaally believing the G-Man is bad angle.
G-Man wrote:But was Eloh the one who submitted the team's nightly kill as the Godfather until she died or did they function as a hive-mind on the kills?

If the latter, would their kill have been preventable at all before it was down to just rabbit? If so, please explain how. With a few heist games in queue the idea of a decentralized baddie team intrigues me.
Elohcin was not Godfather (because I thought the idea of you getting corrupted reads and getting a civ read on the Godfather would either not really function - as in why make an exception for that role - or mess with town too much). The night kill was team decided and any of them could have written down or send me the final decision, but a member had to be nominated as performing the killer, due to the Doc happening to also be a blocker.

Don't understand your question re:rabbit, tho. The whack Doc never matched with one of them performing the kill or with their victim choices.

link: The BTSC discussion didn't matter. Their final "X is to kill Y" decision did. If X would have been blocked, the kill attempt would have been thwarted, yes.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Don't forget to vote for MVP via PM, if you haven't. I'll announce it tomorrow.
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 56

Post by rabbit8 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Perhaps the single moment that most favored town was when G-Man's role was revealed without him dying. That essentially removed him from the suspect pool, and Spacedaisy with him. The only angle the mafia had left late in the game to try and get out of trouble was to perpetuate the paranoia that G-Man might be bad.

Yes. Time was a killer for us. Scotty and I had really busy schedules. Eloh got tripped up early and we all missed the g-man claim. Oh well. Rusty as fuck.

Good win civvies.
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
What's that for?
It was a joke, since Golden and I hosted a heist game with 6 power roles. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
What's that for?
It was a joke, since Golden and I hosted a heist game with 6 power roles. :P
You hosted a heist game with completely inverted forces, I'd say that's the more important aspect of it. ;)
DrWilgy

Re: [Day 0] Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Post by DrWilgy »

DrWilgy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:
Vompatti wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Vompatti wrote:I don't think we should rule out the possibility that the mafia could, to some extent, communicate telepathically.
Vompatti, what's your favorite food and why is it mushrooms?
Actually it's liver cassarole.
If I were cooked whole... Would I be considered a liver casserole?
Doc, what's the most interesting thing to you about page one of this thread not including Rico's posts?
Eloh agreeing with Sig, why?
I just realized that I was right early again. Yay me!
Image Image Image
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DFaraday »

This is just a filler post because I feel like spamming.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Time to announce to MVP results, everyone. At least from my point of view, I think it was an exciting experience overall, especially the mid-cycle bowl of suspicions and speculations, and I would once again like to express my gratitude to you all for playing this. If there is any other feedback, I welcome it in private or otherwise.

And, now, the result for Best Host, in which nobody voted for or knew they were supposed to goes tooooo

And the results for MVP. Seven votes were expressed, besides my own, and as expected, it was a close friendly brawl for admiration and recognition between our two victorious power roles. But the one who gets the crown iiiiisss

G-Man!

Congratulations on this well deserved prize, you are now eligible to play the All-Star-Heist-Whatever-Whenever-Tournament! :clap: And congratulations to the Other-Power-Role for an equally great performance.

Cheers. Over and out.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 68
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

:beer:
I'd vote for you as president, GMan.

No, but seriously.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ya done good, kid. :slick:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Previous Heists”