Vocaroo Mafia [END]

Moderator: Community Team

Would you play in a future Vocaroo Mafia game?

Absolutely!
64%
Hell to the naw
No votes
I would even host one so you can play JJJ!
36%

Total votes: 11
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 50
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Vocaroo Mafia [END]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DharmaHelper wrote:I feel most badly about not playing this game due to my retirement, I might play Voc 2.
Do it.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 23
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Epignosis gets my vote for Most Valuable Performer. Well played sir. :clap:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 7

Post by DrWilgy »

I was really hoping you'd kill Epi following my death lol. I guess my read was right. Gg.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 138

Post by Ricochet »

Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Quin »

I wasn't really following the game too much but I did have an idea in my head that the baddies would be more likely to speak according to a script, and from what I can remember from Epi's posts, I guess I was right :grin:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

I just want to second what 3J said about Rico's hilarious posts. I was so sad when he got deaded because those news updates were one of the highlights of the game. Good job Epi on the songs too. It occurred to me at some point that the songs would be a good way for a baddie to avoid saying too much but they were so good it was hard to sustain that suspicion. Congrats on your win. Metalmarsh, I'm curious - it looks like you voted for Rico the day after giving him a gift which I would assume you did because you thought he was civ. What made you change your mind?

Everyone did a fantastic job with this game and I hope we have another. Maybe I will play if I can screw up the courage to download flash onto my Mac. Or maybe I can figure out Speakpipe.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 15
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

A well-deserved win by Epi. :clap: I was afraid that you were mafia while I was alive, but had no reason to believe it to be true.

Thanks so much for hosting this, Jay! It was one of the best games I've played in a while just from sheer enjoyment level.

I'm sorry to let you all down, townies, but I had trouble getting a handle on any suspicions at the beginning of the game and I couldn't help attracting attention to myself. I'm not a good power role player. :p

Seriously, I cannot emphasize how much fun this game was for the short time I was playing it. Rico and Epi's recordings especially were just AMAZING. You all were awesome.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:I feel most badly about not playing this game due to my retirement, I might play Voc 2.
Do it.
:srsnod:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

And just got done listening to your final thoughts as a host, Jay; thanks for those. I definitely echo a lot of the comments as well. I always appreciate host recognition even when I played poorly and I know others do as well. Additionally it's always interesting to hear what the host was thinking about certain votes/events/players since they have an omniscient perspective. That's one of the reasons I really love hosting (setting a setup into motion, then watching all the players take their roles and give them life).

One thing I didn't get to talk about too much was differences between text-based mafia playstyles of folks and these Vocaroo RL-esque ones. I didn't feel there were any surprises (though I know some folks said that about Wilgy), but I have met Elo, Epi, and Wilgy before, so perhaps that tempered my expectations. It'd be really neat to play with some other folks who I have no experience with beyond the text-based format.

As to your noted difference between text me and RL me, that's understandable and I think accurate (though it's difficult to judge yourself). Having met DFaraday and some others as well RL throughout my mafia career, I have received a few comments that I'm not that different, and a few that there are noticeable differences; I always find it fascinating to observe similarities and differences in others that I interact with on here and to hear those observations about me from others as well. The rest of you probably caught onto differences with my playstyle/tone here as well. I can feel relatively at ease RL among folks I know, even if that means knowing them on here -- nonetheless my manner of communicating is just different in text I think, although I'm not quite sure how to quantify it. I was just thinking something similar this morning; my in-person conversations with my dissertation chair (in which I feel I sometimes don't say some of what I wanted to say, after the fact) are noticeably different from my emails (which I feel are too verbose and long-winded). I just always feel as though I'm much better at communicating via text (even though far from optimal). Even when I'm among people I know and can actually be myself, RL social interactions always make me a bit nervous (even if I've gotten 9001 times better at conquering that anxiety than I used to be). It's an entirely different story whenever I'm among strangers and/or have to be the one to initiate social conversation; in those situations, I'm much more reserved and completely lacking the verbosity that you all are used to seeing from me on the forums.

This setup was a bit intimidating for me for sure, but I'm just so glad I decided to play. Any butterflies I received while recording were really worth the cool dynamic it gave to the game; I would love to play another. Everyone else who was ever on the fence due to being introverted too should know that playing is totally worth it. :srsnod:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 77
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Quin wrote:I wasn't really following the game too much but I did have an idea in my head that the baddies would be more likely to speak according to a script, and from what I can remember from Epi's posts, I guess I was right :grin:
This was a factor in my suspicion of Rico, but then I completely threw it out the window when it came down to Epi and Made.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

From now on whenever I read a post by any of you I will hear your voice in my head. Rico especially because of that marvelous accent!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Glorfindel
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glorfindel »

I thought this was a fantastic concept and it looked like an amazing game. I'm not sure if I'd play in future though as I could never hope to compare with the fabulous job Epi did this game. I swear, I could sit and just listen to Sloonei all day - your voice is amazing! As for the Speak-pipe thing, I couldn't get it to work at all so that appears to have been a minor fail from my perspective.
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Glorfindel is always nicer than a puppy.

Golden wrote: I agree. Let glorf be glorf.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm going to call the MVP "race". Some people haven't voted, but it's been 24 hours and frankly it's clear cut.

Congrats Epignosis. Here's my MS Paint best if you want it. XD

Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 33

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm going to call the MVP "race". Some people haven't voted, but it's been 24 hours and frankly it's clear cut.

Congrats Epignosis. Here's my MS Paint best if you want it. XD

I like it. I like it a lot.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 23
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

juliets wrote:Metalmarsh, I'm curious - it looks like you voted for Rico the day after giving him a gift which I would assume you did because you thought he was civ. What made you change your mind?
I don't think I could answer this question very well.

I wasn't sure if I trusted Ricochet. I gave him the gift because I thought he was most likely to survive the night. I dunno. I wish I could have paid more attention to this game, but the timing was just poor for me.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
juliets wrote:Metalmarsh, I'm curious - it looks like you voted for Rico the day after giving him a gift which I would assume you did because you thought he was civ. What made you change your mind?
I don't think I could answer this question very well.

I wasn't sure if I trusted Ricochet. I gave him the gift because I thought he was most likely to survive the night. I dunno. I wish I could have paid more attention to this game, but the timing was just poor for me.
The good thing is that you didn't screw up anyone's game, in the process. :)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I was surprised you didn't reveal that you'd received a gift late in your eventual lynch day, Rico. While doing so might have neutralized your gift, it could have also amounted to a different LyLo arrangement.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I was surprised you didn't reveal that you'd received a gift late in your eventual lynch day, Rico. While doing so might have neutralized your gift, it could have also amounted to a different LyLo arrangement.
I did, but only subtle enough to plead with the gifter who decided it was all for naught. I had not intention of neutralizing a gift that would have solved the game.

Nothing would have amounted to anything else. I was lynched with eyes closed. Or ears shut, whichever way you want to put it.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 77
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Glorfindel wrote:I thought this was a fantastic concept and it looked like an amazing game. I'm not sure if I'd play in future though as I could never hope to compare with the fabulous job Epi did this game. I swear, I could sit and just listen to Sloonei all day - your voice is amazing! As for the Speak-pipe thing, I couldn't get it to work at all so that appears to have been a minor fail from my perspective.
Well shucks. I've never thought of my voice as anything pleasant-sounding, but thank you.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

How are you coming on archiving this, 3J?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Very slowly, it's been a busy couple of weeks. Thankfully though there's still plenty of time before the recordings start going *poof*.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

That motivated me though and I just completed the first 100 posts. :srsnod:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Once I got into a rhythm it wasn't so bad. The entire game is downloaded into 446 separate recording files. I'll see if I can figure out how to bring them together with Audacity.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

:beer:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I was playing back portions of the full recorded game for shits and giggles, and I am struck by how perfect some of these moments are.

~ Rico's first post, immediately after I introduce Day 0, with the musical entry is wonderful to set the stage for the coming drama.

~ The first post after I declared the game over and left the mafioso to reveal himself was Epignosis claiming his victory via Pigs on the Wing Pt. 2, which is such a perfect closer.

~ The very last post-game recording is Rico again, with the melancholy American Pie fade-out. I love it.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Hol' up, none of my pre-mislynch wailing made it on the tape? How will people, 200 years from now, ever know of my suffering? :suspish:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If it's not in there it wasn't by intent. It should be.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Either that or must have missed it or played too far behind or ahead. I was reasonably cautious, after all, how much of this to replay and relisten to. Nvmd.

Return to “Previous Heists”