JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 56
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: The Search for Quin [END]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

This game is basically a thesis on how bussing can go wrong.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Anyway, thanks for the game Jay! Loved the theme, and it was pretty thrilling to play.

I also feel like I've made quite a progress as a baddie, though the whole bussing thing bit us in the ass harder than I could ever expect.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 330
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 pm This is the best civilian MP performance I have ever witnessed.
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.

The endgame was a real tough position to be in, and honestly I don't know that we would have pulled it off if you, Daisy, Sloonei, speedchuck, and dunya didn't bring awesomeness to the table while you all were alive too. Definitely a team effort.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 40
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

GG guys. It's too bad I really didn't end up having any time to dedicate to participating above the bare minimum and thus was unable to defend myself, but I think our team had been doomed for a while, lol -- I was hoping my bus credit would keep me around for a bit, but it's not at all surprising that you guys saw past it by this point. Seriously though, I had no opportunity today to catch up much less defend myself as my job has been extremely busy lately (I was there for ten hours today and still have a few things that have to get done by the end of the night... I love my new job but it's crazy busy lol).

Anyway, great job civs, you nailed it. :beer: And fwiw there wasn't a ton of logic behind most of the kills beyond the general principle of going for people who were widely seen as town. If you pressed me I might figure out near-subconscious reasons I had regarding who was suspecting certain people and who I wanted to keep around for any possible framing/wifom/etc :shrug:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Seriously, I got to see dunya's legendary gut in action too. That was pretty amazing. Props to her for replacing in to this incredibly tough situation and helping me talk through everything. I'm indebted.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 pm This game is basically a thesis on how bussing can go wrong.
:sigh: yeah lol. Maybe I was overconfident about it since it had worked for me in Mass Effect.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think the execution of the bussing was fine -- in most games I'd expect it to work better. The problem was the timing. I probably wasn't ever necessary in the first place to engage in such deliberate distancing. Especially with the civilians' strongest power role eliminated from the start, the game could then become a speed-burn for the mafia if they worked instead to keep each other alive even at their collective risk.

It's all speculative though. The civilians earned it by making what I thought was a difficult decision to lynch sanmateo late on Day 2, and everything else rolled into place from there. If they hadn't done that when they did that, we're still playing right now.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 pm This game is basically a thesis on how bussing can go wrong.
You guys really had a good strategy going; if Epi and I didn't go after sanmateo suddenly like we did, you almost certainly would have won. That lynch definitely cracked open the game for us, so to speak, but nutella almost still won it for you all too. Well played for sure.

I know what you mean though; I've been bitten in the ass by bussing myself, but also the converse from defending teammates too visibly. It's a really difficult balance.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Also, I'm glad dunya got to drop in here for a bit and showcase those instincts of hers. Still the best radar I've ever seen in this damned game.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm GG guys. It's too bad I really didn't end up having any time to dedicate to participating above the bare minimum and thus was unable to defend myself, but I think our team had been doomed for a while, lol -- I was hoping my bus credit would keep me around for a bit, but it's not at all surprising that you guys saw past it by this point. Seriously though, I had no opportunity today to catch up much less defend myself as my job has been extremely busy lately (I was there for ten hours today and still have a few things that have to get done by the end of the night... I love my new job but it's crazy busy lol).

Anyway, great job civs, you nailed it. :beer: And fwiw there wasn't a ton of logic behind most of the kills beyond the general principle of going for people who were widely seen as town. If you pressed me I might figure out near-subconscious reasons I had regarding who was suspecting certain people and who I wanted to keep around for any possible framing/wifom/etc :shrug:
You seriously played incredibly well, and despite your limited activity towards the end, I still was doubting it every step of the way. :beer:
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 120

Post by Epignosis »

Catching sanmateo felt good. It really did.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm Also, I'm glad dunya got to drop in here for a bit and showcase those instincts of hers. Still the best radar I've ever seen in this damned game.
Seriously. Wow. I was already starting to come around to considering nutella more and more, but it was dunya's thoughts that got me seriously considering it. Without that I'm not sure if I would have done the digging that I did into her ISO and made the vote switch.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm Catching sanmateo felt good. It really did.
Absolutely, that was a hell of a moment. Man, you and I were on the same wavelength or something this game. It was totally awesome to be synced like that.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think there was some visible growth in MP's civilian game here, particularly toward the end. He's always effortful, and he's always engaged. He has made good reads before too.

What I saw here that I haven't seen as much of in the past is assertiveness. When he made reads, he made fucking reads. I was thrilled to see the late-game PoE wherein he limited his suspects to Dom and nutella -- not because he had the right answer, but because he was eliminating low posters from the suspect pool with confidence. That's how you have to be. There's always a chance of being wrong, but that doesn't mean anything. Civilians cannot worry about that if they want to win games.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 pm I think there was some visible growth in MP's civilian game here, particularly toward the end. He's always effortful, and he's always engaged. He has made good reads before too.

What I saw here that I haven't seen as much of in the past is assertiveness. When he made reads, he made fucking reads. I was thrilled to see the late-game PoE wherein he limited his suspects to Dom and nutella -- not because he had the right answer, but because he was eliminating low posters from the suspect pool with confidence. That's how you have to be. There's always a chance of being wrong, but that doesn't mean anything. Civilians cannot worry about that if they want to win games.
Thanks man. :D

Admittedly my biggest struggle with being town is being susceptible to analysis paralysis and indecision, especially early on in games and regarding players who don't provide as much content. I honestly was asserting more confidence than I probably really had in BWT, NT, and Serge, but I felt I had to take a damn stance on them and listen more to my gut for once; I figured I could always reevaluate if necessary. It definitely paid off.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

To elaborate, I think that's just something I've picked up on over the past year or so after witnessing it (both the absence of it and seeing it work successfully): Forcing assessments of content even when there isn't much there. I figure there is almost always something that can be picked out of nearly every post, or at least you have to die trying to find it. I learned that from you, Jay, as well as other town powerhouses like Epi, Golden, Sloonei, and Nacho.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I still can't get over how this game progressed. I mean, in all honesty, DDL, nutella, and sanmateo really could have easily won this game. They played this just very well. The rampant bussing was ballsy for sure, it almost paid off.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Lastly, a shameless plug, but if any of you are now itching for another Heist since this one is over, I have Seinfeld Mafia ready to go and need anywhere from 6-11 more folks before it'll start. Should be a blast. I only hope it'll be as tense and awesome as this game was. Just PM me if you want to sign up since it's going to be sockpuppet/anonymous.

And a bonus will be that you don't have to deal with my insane levels of posting since I'm the host. :p

Well played again to all. Great game. Definitely a satisfying win and a worthy performance from the opposition. I look forward to playing with you all again. :D
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I think where the mafia fucked up with me is that, once I've made up my mind, that's often it. So when I said nutella was good, why did they kill me?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That is a good question. I also really thought the speedchuck kill implicated Sloonei but perhaps that was the WIFOM or they were just going after an active/obviously townread speedchuck. I think the NKs were generally made on players who had little to no suspicion, so they made sense in that regard, but I did wonder about some of them nonetheless.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Oh yeah. Send me MVP votes.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 pm Oh yeah. Send me MVP votes.
I don't believe in those. But if you're sending them, you know where they belong.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Just drop the V. That helps.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 196
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Good game, y'all. This may have been one of my worst town performances ever. Whiffed on the first two scum members and had the third one at the start of the game, but completely let her drift off my radar. The rest of you all made it look easy though, so major kudos all around. Well, except for that one day.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

But most importantly, i'm glad Quin has been brought to justice.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

For me

For civilians

TBD

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Quin »

You assholes haven't seen the last of me.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Quin »

I had pegged Dom as town a fair while back. This was Mad Max level town Dom. Though I also had nutella as town, so...whoops.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Also, thanks to Quin for selecting his location before the game began, and for helping me come up with clues each night phase. Have yourself a sausage sandwich, sir. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 65

Post by speedchuck »

Yah, MP for MVP.

GG guys! Glad I helped. Or, at least felt like I did. :P Nutella fooled me too
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 pm Image

For me

For civilians

TBD
So much MS Paint my eyes are bleeding.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 38
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Very impressive MP.

Except for the start of the game. That was unimpressive.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dunya »

Well done everyone! Glad I joined in :) thanks Jay ;)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ricochet wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 amSo much MS Paint my eyes are bleeding
That's right. MS Paint 4 Life. :noble:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 24

Post by DrWilgy »

So...

Anyone mind sharing why I was NK'd first?
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

You have access to the baddie chat now dude :p I suggested either BWT, Epi, or you, because we wanted to kill someone who was unlikely to be a lynch candidate, and DDL voted you out of the three. His words "Reason being Epi could get heat from the LC thing and I feel bad for offing BWT when he is back after a long absence."
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

This is the 2nd civilian win in the last 11 heists.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am This is the 2nd civilian win in the last 11 heists.
God damn. I knew it was bad, but man. Let's make some more dents in that, townies. :noble:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also have to make a shoutout to our new player, [mention]NewTraditionalist[/mention].

Although it seems he struggled with getting acclimated to the very different format as well as the timing of phases, this man said these things before dunya or I had our eye on nutella:
NewTraditionalist wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 am I'm going to downgrade my nutella read to slight mafia for a similar reason. 2nd round DDL vote at a time where DDL was not going to be lynched. easy camo play (or the ravings of a very bad new player).
NewTraditionalist wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 am I gotta say, nutella, I'm leaning more towards you. MP's day 2 vote for sanmateo seems like an impossible mafia play to me but your vote for DDL feels like easy camo...seems like it was a foregone conclusion so that a different vote would be even more suspicious.

I'm currently

certain town: me
probable town: MP
neutral: everyone not mentioned
slight mafia: dom (still working out reasons for this one)
slightly more mafia: nutella
Mad props. Hope you try another game. :beer:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am This is the 2nd civilian win in the last 11 heists.
God damn. I knew it was bad, but man. Let's make some more dents in that, townies. :noble:
Overall it hasn't been so bad. Heist wins by faction:

Civilians - 8
Mafia - 12
Indy (shared) - 2
Indy (solo) - 1

It's been a very bad run following what had been a very good run for the townies.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:59 am
MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am
Overall it hasn't been so bad. Heist wins by faction:

Civilians - 8
Mafia - 12
Indy (shared) - 2
Indy (solo) - 1

It's been a very bad run following what had been a very good run for the townies.
Interesting. :ponder:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Though Epignosis in Vocaroo could kind of make it 11 for mafia and 2 for indy (solo).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm Though Epignosis in Vocaroo could kind of make it 11 for mafia and 2 for indy (solo).
That game played out so strangely. We blindly fell into an absentee scum lynch on Day 1 and then had to try to catch a lone baddie with no real clues anywhere. Plus epi charmed the pants off us.
My point is when is Vocaroo II happening?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm Though Epignosis in Vocaroo could kind of make it 11 for mafia and 2 for indy (solo).
That game played out so strangely. We blindly fell into an absentee scum lynch on Day 1 and then had to try to catch a lone baddie with no real clues anywhere. Plus epi charmed the pants off us.
This.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm Plus epi charmed the pants off us.
First time I've ever seen someone say that.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 pm
This.
I think I'm supposed to be hosting that.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:59 am Overall it hasn't been so bad. Heist wins by faction:

Civilians - 8
Mafia - 12 11
Indy (shared) - 2 1
Indy (solo) - 1 2

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I've sent all my prayers banking on "never ever".
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm
MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 pm
This.
I think I'm supposed to be hosting that.
DO IT

Return to “Previous Heists”