[END] Arrested Development Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Who's about to sell us out to the Sitwells?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Elohcin
No votes
G-Man
No votes
lovedelic
No votes
Sloonei 2
50%
Spacedaisy
No votes
thellama73
No votes
Turnip Head
No votes
How can anyone even understand this game? (host/non/dead)
50%

Total votes: 10
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 67

Re: [END] Arrested Development Mafia

Post by Elohcin »

Not if we killed her Night 2!!! I should have fought for what I thought we should do instead of folding so easily.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Epignosis »

Elohcin wrote:Not if we killed her Night 2!!! I should have fought for what I thought we should do instead of folding so easily.
Funny how you and I are so different in real life compared to Mafia. :ponder:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 111
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Yay, we won! :yay:

I think Daisy, TH, and I made a pretty good trio. :slick:

I actually started suspecting Daisy was the cop when I was feeling her out on Day 2, but then pretty much knew for sure in the post you highlighted, TH, so I went into overdrive mode thereon forward trying to keep her alive. Glad it worked. :D

This game was an absolute blast that has reminded me why I love playing mafia with you all so much. Props to Elo, Wilgy, and Sloonei 2.0 for a well-attempted bad guy effort, and to my other fellow good guys as well.

And... holy shit, G-Man, your roleplay considering you've never seen the show... and that video! That's the greatest thing I've ever seen. So awesome. :clap: A clap to Sloonei as well for his hilarious Tobias roleplay. :clap: I'm with JJJ that the roleplaying was excellent all around.

This has to go down as one of the just most all-around fun games I've ever played. :beer:
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Spacedaisy »

Elohcin wrote:Not if we killed her Night 2!!! I should have fought for what I thought we should do instead of folding so easily.
That would have drastically changed things indeed. Somehow everyone of my peeks was still alive. If I had peeked the wrong people it would have changed things too, but you guys kept choosing the unexpected kills. So why not do some seer hunting? I was confused by that early on.

I really thought you guys would kill me last night, but even if you had I was sure that TH and MP at least had followed what I laid out and it was all there for the civs. MP did a great job of baiting the kill last night though.

For the record, I never peeked MP because I was that certain he was civ. he has only fooled me a couple times in games and I just was not seeing any baddie signs in him at all, but put that together with the choice of kills and I just knew there was no way it was him. The choice of kills was also a lot of why I believe TH was civ.

I was trying to wait for the perfect time to say "Marry me!" But I got too caught up in the game and never did find it.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I was extra pleased to adopt the strategy of fake peeking to success here, even though I initially blew it by peeking Elo as my n0 peek multiple times. Lol.

More civilians should have peeked though... when only 5 of us did (and 2 of them were mafia!), I was really scared that the mafia were going to narrow down the cop quickly. It makes no sense for the cop to leave no breadcrumbs behind, so I was shocked when zebra and Sorsha were killed.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 118
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I was extra pleased to adopt the strategy of fake peeking to success here, even though I initially blew it by peeking Elo as my n0 peek multiple times. Lol.

More civilians should have peeked though... when only 5 of us did (and 2 of them were mafia!), I was really scared that the mafia were going to narrow down the cop quickly. It makes no sense for the cop to leave no breadcrumbs behind, so I was shocked when zebra and Sorsha were killed.
Wow yeah, I just realized that you and I were the only non-cop civilians to do that :eek: I think it really works in this setup, though it's odd that the mafia didn't try to take us out based on this. I think the kill targets was the mafia's major misstep. So I guess it worked out this time.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I was extra pleased to adopt the strategy of fake peeking to success here, even though I initially blew it by peeking Elo as my n0 peek multiple times. Lol.

Yeah, so there is the weakness of fake cop. They basically had two choices, TH or daisy... or that neither of them were.

I think the best approach to such a fake claim gambit is to get lots of people on board before you do it. I'm on board for trying it out sometime.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Indeed, I actually asked everyone if they wanted to throw out peeks in MM's Tree Mafia, but no one took me up on it and DrWilgy found me suspicious for it, so it died immediately. It'd be nice to get it more widespread in a subsequent game, since it's riskier the less people that do it.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 37
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The cop cover in this game was fantastic. Let's not forget Sorsha, who not only called Doc as a baddie but also suggested he was distancing from Elohcin. That's cover by virtue of being spot on a read -- so much so that they assumed she had information.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

For Daisy to make it to Day 4 with ALL of her peeks still alive is perfect execution of the cop role. That's a very rare achievement in this setup.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:The cop cover in this game was fantastic. Let's not forget Sorsha, who not only called Doc as a baddie but also suggested he was distancing from Elohcin. That's cover by virtue of being spot on a read -- so much so that they assumed she had information.
:noble:

And yeah, that's true! Accidental cop cover by virtue of being correct in reads like that is pretty awesome.

And I agree on Daisy having her peeks all alive; I've never seen or ever heard of that happening. Crazy!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 84
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Indeed, I actually asked everyone if they wanted to throw out peeks in MM's Tree Mafia, but no one took me up on it and DrWilgy found me suspicious for it, so it died immediately. It'd be nice to get it more widespread in a subsequent game, since it's riskier the less people that do it.
It worked so well in this game I think people will have a hard time not using the strategy in the future.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 32
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Re: [Day 4] Arrested Development Mafia

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Official winners for the sake of Hall of Fame statistics:

a2thezebra, G-Man, lovedelic, Metalmarsh89, MovingPictures07, Sloonei (1.0), Sorsha, Spacedaisy, thellama73, Turnip Head
Go figure. I win a heist while being mafia's best friend. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 84
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I won as town while being mafia.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote:I won as town while being mafia.
:haha:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I did consider telling Sloonei he'd only be eligible to win the game with his second faction, but I decided it wasn't really important. He was putting in a genuine anti-town effort and that's all that matters.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 59

Post by G-Man »

MovingPictures07 wrote:And... holy shit, G-Man, your roleplay considering you've never seen the show... and that video! That's the greatest thing I've ever seen. So awesome. :clap:
I honestly have no idea how well my posts sounded like George Michael. I just went for stereotypical awkward teen filler phrases. Here are the notes I took off of the Arrested Development wiki:
George Micheal

Three things from father:
-1. Family first
-2. Breakfast is important
-3. It's not aunt lindsay's real nose

Meek, responsible

Respectful & trusting of his family members despite worries about their motives and the outcomes of their ideas

Watched HBO's Oz instead of Wizard of Oz- scarred him- very timid. Very scared of prisons

When dad out of the picture, he came out of his shell more

Hard worker- Bluth's Frozen Bananas

Likes Quicken

Has to convince people that he is not two people due to his name

SEASON ONE:
-Made Mr. Manager on BFB
-Blindly supports Maeby
-Auditioned for Much Ado
-Willing to break the law to impress Maeby
-Big crush on Maeby
-Strained relationship with father by end of season (wouldn't let him go on spring break)
-Tries to join a band on wooden block

SEASON TWO:
-Ann dumps him- somehow gets back at her
-Had to go with dad to Mexico to find George
-Hides George
-Made to get glasses- his vision gets worse
-Teaches Ann about prank phone calls
-Scared of Uncle Jack, tries to be civil though
-Scared of Buster's new hook hand
-Motherboy pageant
-Star Wars video released
-Learns to drive the stair car
-Speaks tenderly to Maeby
-Ann dumps him again

SEASON THREE:
-Tries to tell dad about feelings for Maeby but dad never has the time
-Falls asleep in stair car- taken to Reno
-Tries signing up for the Army- can't cut the monkey bars
-Attempts to fly a jetpack
-Breaks news to dad that Rita is MRF
-Battle between Banana Stand and GOB's Banana Shack
-Accidentally gets marries to Maeby
-Screws up at a birthday party for Maeby
-Tries to reunite with Ann- Punches GOB
-Boat to Mexico at end of season

SEASON FOUR:
-Breaks up with Maeby
-head to college
-Comes out of shell a little
-Studied abroad in Spain for a year
-Dad moves into his dorm room
-Creates the Fakeblock app (wood block)
-Lies to dad and Maeby that Fakeblock is a security app
-Votes father out of the dorm room
-Changes name to George Maharis
-Starts relationship with Rebel
-Tricked by GOB to show up at Gothic Castle on gay night as his boyfriend
-Buys a house, fires Maeby for hyping up the lie company
-Wants to admit Fakeblock a fraud but intimidated away from it
-Catches dad sleeping with Rebel & punches him in the face

I just tried to work in references to as many of those things as I could without knowing the full-episode context. When Metalmarsh died, it sort of torpedoed a lot of my options for Day 3 and 4 tension with him. I actually wanted to trust him because his role was my role's father. HOST- was there a method to how you picked the baddies or was it random?

The roleplay element of the game was a big plus for me because I could throw myself deep into it instead of coming up with one of my usual cheeky antics. I'm terrible at reading people and I didn't have enough time to truly digest what everyone was saying. I only ever read back maybe one page if that. Full re-reads would have been too time consuming but not doing so really left me flat-footed. I was pretty lucky that three of the four people I was completely neutral on and came to trust were civvies (MP, SD, & TH). I think I listened to TH more than anyone else. His support of MP held me back from pursuing his lynch after Metalmarsh went down. You guys basically pulled me to victory, so thank you. :beer:

I knew going in to this game that my vote analysis wasn't going to be very helpful. These setups are too short for vote crunching to be effective. Only one of my top three was even bad (Ricochet/Sloonei 2.0). It was still neat to see how useful it could be but it definitely takes a backseat to tone reads in such a small setting. Maybe playing more of these smaller games will help me improve my people-reading skills.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:For Daisy to make it to Day 4 with ALL of her peeks still alive is perfect execution of the cop role. That's a very rare achievement in this setup.
THIS! What are the odds that a cop would check all the civvies still living when it came to crunch time? Call it luck or call it skill, it was simply amazing. :nicenod:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Spacedaisy »

It was luck mostly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

G-Man wrote:HOST- was there a method to how you picked the baddies or was it random?
It was entirely random. It must be for this kind of roleplay concept to work -- the only alternative is to allow character and alignment to be related, but give the bad team fake characters that they can pretend to be instead of their real evil characters. Both of these methods are quite common on RYM.
G-Man wrote:I knew going in to this game that my vote analysis wasn't going to be very helpful. These setups are too short for vote crunching to be effective. Only one of my top three was even bad (Ricochet/Sloonei 2.0). It was still neat to see how useful it could be but it definitely takes a backseat to tone reads in such a small setting.
It can still be effective; it's just less likely to be a top priority when the cop survives this long. It is definitely common for cops to be eliminated early in this setup, and without him/her voting and behavioral analysis are all that remain in a vanilla game.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 27

Post by thellama73 »

Good going, civvies! Sorry I wasn't around in the final day. I had visitors this weekend and wasn't really able to check in.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'll close the voting tonight.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

One more hour and I'll call it final.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Voting is closed. Results coming up shortly...

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I was going to announce the top three for each, but that'd mean a ton of ties so I'll just do the top two.

BEST ROLEPLAYER

A number of people received votes for this, and that's fitting because a lot of people did a great job with it. The flavor was intertwined beautifully with the Mafia, and I had a ton of fun watching it develop. :clap:

The runner up is:
Sloonei! For his hilarious depiction of Tobias, in both of his bodies. Sloonei is known on RYM for being a top notch roleplayer, so his earning recognition here is no surprise to me.
And the winner for best roleplay is:
G-Man! His performance as George Michael was so awesome; it's hard to believe he hasn't actually seen the show before. He played out each day phase as if they represented each of the four seasons of the show for his character, and that's something I've never seen before. Then there's the video, which is pretty much the greatest thing ever conceived by humankind. :haha:
Awesome job to both of you, and thank you for a great roleplaying effort.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Aw farts, I forgot about the unreadable spoiler font. Scroll over to see. It's just more suspense. :P

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

This was a close vote, with two players competing hard for a spot in the Heist All-Star Game.

The runner up is:
MovingPictures07! He helped the good guys/gals push the game over the line by covering for the cop and drawing an errant night kill. With one more day alive the cop was able to solve the game and bring out a baddie concession.
The MVP of Arrested Development Mafia is:
Spacedaisy! She survived three nights as the cop in a 13-player setup; that is no small feat at all. Moreover, she did so with all four of her peeks still alive, and all of them green. This meant she had completely solved the game, there was no way for the baddies to turn it around at all. I'd call it a perfect game of copping.
Well played to both of you. Daisy, we'll see you in the all-star game. :)

It was a pleasure hosting for you. Thanks one more time everyone for taking part, and thanks S~V~S for proving about 800 moderator assists with the thread permissions.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 118
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Congrats G-Man and SpaceDaisy! Well deserved by both of you :clap:
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 32
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Yay! Congrats you guys. Also go civs!

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 59

Post by G-Man »

Oh wow, thanks guys! I don't really feel all that deserving since I never saw the show before. My wife and I usually binge watch TV show seasons over the summer. I'll see if she'll watch this show with me. Once I've seen it, I might be tempted to read back through this game to see how much more of everyone's antics make sense in context.

I do want to apologize for being AWOL for most of Day 3. Work was insane and our daughter gave us just four hours of sleep the first night of the Day 3 phase. We also had a birthday party to go to over that weekend. Life happens.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Congrats, G-Man and Spacedaisy!!! You both deserve it for sure. :D

Though, Sloonei as Tobias... brilliant! Too bad we couldn't give two roleplaying awards.

Return to “Previous Heists”