Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia [AD INFINITUM / Endgame]

Moderator: Community Team

November
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 195

Re: [Take / Day 4] Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia

Post by November »

Charles Mingus wrote:We've clogged up enough of the thread with this garbage, I don't see any progress being made here.
i disagree, i think we are makign a lot of progress. we had sevral nice convos and i leanred you are a sith
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 82

Post by Ricochet »

Deleted the posts with prisoners in them.
Akemi Homura
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 105
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Akemi Homura »

I don't oppose a Dixon lynch but Potter is actually looking worse to me right now, and since his lynch seems more likely than Fleck's then I'm moving to Potter.
November
Sockpuppet Account

Post by November »

Charles Mingus wrote:I don't oppose a Dixon lynch but Potter is actually looking worse to me right now, and since his lynch seems more likely than Fleck's then I'm moving to Potter.
You knw you could elborate on that
Maid
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 39

Post by Maid »

He damn should. You'll be killing a civilian if you lynch me. Why am I looking worse than Dixon or Hiromi?
Maid
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Maid »

Charles Mingus wrote:
Chris Potter wrote:There must be a very good reason why Vompatti placed a vote on you, Mingus. He chose not to lynch anyone on day 1. Did he check you? That's what I ask myself. Perhaps you're the baddie after all.
Ornette Coleman wrote:Mingus is a confirmed civ.
Shit, I didn't pay attention. Sorry for that. Still weird that he put a vote on you, though, but hey it's Vompatti...
Akemi Homura
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Akemi Homura »

Chris Potter wrote:
Charles Mingus wrote:
Chris Potter wrote:There must be a very good reason why Vompatti placed a vote on you, Mingus. He chose not to lynch anyone on day 1. Did he check you? That's what I ask myself. Perhaps you're the baddie after all.
Shit, I didn't pay attention. Sorry for that. Still weird that he put a vote on you, though, but hey it's Vompatti...
That "hey it's Vompatti" comment sure clashes with your previous "There must be a very good reason" comment.
November
Sockpuppet Account

Post by November »

Bela Fleck wrote:
Charles Mingus wrote:I don't oppose a Dixon lynch but Potter is actually looking worse to me right now, and since his lynch seems more likely than Fleck's then I'm moving to Potter.
You knw you could elborate on that
Akemi Homura
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Akemi Homura »

I literally just did. You are unfathomable.
Maid
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Maid »

Charles Mingus wrote:
Chris Potter wrote:
Charles Mingus wrote:
That "hey it's Vompatti" comment sure clashes with your previous "There must be a very good reason" comment.
He's unpredictable, but not insane. Can't really dismiss all of his acts as unreasonable. I, however, had not seen the "Mingus is a confirmed civ." post.
November
Sockpuppet Account

Post by November »

Charles Mingus wrote:
Chris Potter wrote:
Charles Mingus wrote:
What this? Plz, and you say im opertunistic
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Hey, my Host color changed. Image I quite liked the other one.

The new one, if a bit darkened, will be suited more for Triskaidekaphobia Mafia. :feb:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:Hey, my Host color changed. Image I quite liked the other one.

The new one, if a bit darkened, will be suited more for Triskaidekaphobia Mafia. :feb:
That's my doing. :mafia:

I wanted to keep in line with the color scheme/theme of the host colors being of a certain part of the spectrum, plus with the new moderator split (which I will be announcing very soon) the new MoD color was too close to the previous Heist Host color.
Principal Skinner
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Principal Skinner »

My oh my, I'm not likin' how this is shapin' up so far. Folks I am truly sorry for my absence, it's been some abso-lutely transcendental rehearsal time outside. I still got some sheet music t' finish writin' but I'm hopin' to get all caught up n' such before the day draws close.

I'll do a little lookin' back but can someone give me a brief o'erview of the case against Mr. Potter? He seemed pretty aight last I checked. I'd rather put my vote on someone I'm feelin' a little more suspicious 'bout.
Fuskdall
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Fuskdall »

I was jus' foolin' about suspectin' Potter. Bill Dixon has been a suspicion of mine all game, and he gets my vote once again.
Principal Skinner
Sockpuppet Account

Well, I think y'all are makin' a big time mistake. But frankly, I don' think I can blame ya. If yer lookin' at the votin' history, mine do stand out as bein' a bit suspect. An' frankly I don' think anyone is makin' me feel particularly bad. But I think our bad guy is jus' playin' a real tight measure.

I do wanna talk 'bout somethin' I mentioned earlier. Miss Hiromi didn' have much to say th' first few days, which I said I didn' think much 'bout with it bein' so early n' all. I asked her t' maybe try'n participate a bit more but far as I can tell, she been doin' jack all for playin' anythin'. I'm worried 'bout inactivity this late in the game. We all got our schedules an' all, but she seemin' a bit more content to jus' ride out the suspicions 'round other folk. I'm thinkin' she seemin' a little worrisome, an' she be gettin' my vote tonight.
Principal Skinner
Sockpuppet Account

Re: [Take / Day 1] Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia

John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:I'd like to cast my vote for Charles Mingus, seein' as he's a most likely to be th' one draggin' and huffin' and puffin' and toutin'.
Votes for Mingus without mentioning him at all, strange vote but it is just day 1.
First off, that ain' even true. One post earlier:
Bill Dixon wrote:I'm worried about Mr. Mingus. Quite a hooplah he made fo himself early on, callin' himself Jazz itself, like he its father. And yet not a peep since our trial rehearsal. He could be stayin' silent, knowin' he was all bark an' no bite, hopin' we place the blame on someone who weren't outta tuuune.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Mr. Buble, I can't say I'm a fan of your music personally, and I'm not sure I would consider your playin' or singin' to be the genuine expression we here jazz folks hold in regard, but I can say that so far your responses feel real sincere. I'm willin' ta give you the benefit of the doubt time bein'.
So we see some mafia distancing here, you seem like mafia but I'll give ya benefit of the doubt.
I done addressed this twice now son. I ain' never said a thing 'bout suspectin' him as mafia. I was jus' sayin' I wanted to vote for 'im cuz I didn' like him personally. I ain't had enough logic to suspec' him.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Interestin' that there's a no-lynch option heah. Mr. Coleman, I know you and I may have slightly... diff'rent thoughts on what is considered "in-tune" but surely ya gotta admit someone was way off in that rehearsal?
First time he mention Coleman, this is the start of his attempt to get our cop lynched.
You tellin' me Coleman wasn't actin' the least bit suspicious? Several other folk thought the same.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Th' Mafia Godfatha hisself gets taken out on Day 1? Hoo-wee, I seen me many a bad session turn out somethin' lovely but nothin' ever quite so spec-TACulah.

Now, the lovely Miss Holiday (and beg pardon, miss, but you do look jus' gorgeous tonigh') brings up a point Ah'd like to consider. We cut the head offa the snake pretty quickly heah but I'm thinkin' : what if these bad cats saw they boss man wann't long fo' this world and threw him unna the bus, so t' speak, to try'n get off scott free?

Bear with me, heah. I ain't so down with the lingo these kids is speakin' these days. Music the only language I speak, man. But I think I heard some fella callin' it, pardon my lack of creativity heah, these sessions do tend to wear an ol' man out, "bussin'", am I wrong?

I'mma think the first two people who voted to kick out Mr. Buble ah likely t' be playin' the straight n' narrow of it all. I'ma bit more worried here bout the fellas on the end.

Very excited when he wouldn't vote for and didn't even think Buble was worth voting for. Then we see this he gives a brief Yay and then proceeds to start trying to set up bandwagons on the people who VOTED FOR THE GODFATHER THEIR STRONGEST ROLE. This is very suspicious and lynch worthy in itself.
I'm suspicious for suggestin' that maybe some teammates hopped on a bus once they saw they boss on the way out? Where am I settin' up a bandwagon? Ain' none of them even have votes for 'em at the time. I ain't even voted for anyone yet myself. You jus' wavin' yo fingers tryna make a hissy fit 'bout shit.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Brotha Fats was not deservin' of none such treatment. This is some reeeeal sinistuh activity goin' on. Rest in jazz, brotha Fats.

Who among us heah coulda done such a terribuh thang? Ah'm thinkin' when Ah get back from mah rehearsal, I'mma take a closer look at some of y'all and report back with some thoughts.

I'd like to address Miles with regards to the passin' of that Buble fella: my thoughts were that I warn't a fan o' his character, like he seemed pretty outta place and outta his league. He seemed fairly eager to just fit in an' contribute a few bars, an' I thought maybe I was judgin' 'im too harshly. I'm very much guilty of puttin' a personality to the music, thinkin' erryone got the same sorta mode uh emotional expression us old timers do, not playin' anythin' we don' mean. But I was wrong, and that fella was a rat. He was jus' tryna play along for more nefarious purposes, fit in witha crowd n' trya destroy 'em from th' inside. I was judgin' 'em by 'is music, thinkin' it insincere and maybe chalkin' up differences to diff'rent generations, but it turns out the weasel was just as false as he music.

I done pulled the wool over mine own eyes, so ta speak. I ain't never takin' my eyes off the notes again, and I'mma stick with my gut, tha's for sure.
Some defense for his Buble thoughts, he uses roleplaying as a way to mask his attempts to not vote for his teammate. Not much here besides him wiggling outta a lynch.
Dunno what y'all talkin' bout roleplayin' or nothin', but this is jus' straight logic, son. I ain' gonna vote for someone when I don' have enough reason to suspect him. That's a sure as shit sign o' scum.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:
Chris Potter wrote:And Bill Dixon, goddamn it man, are you using Jive Speak Translate?
's that a thing? Sho' would make my life easier.
Ornette Coleman wrote:Why are you defending him so vehemently though? It's not like it matters if we accidentally lynch a civ or two.
Ornette Coleman wrote:
Fats Navarro wrote: No Lynch Voters
Coleman - Why are you voting the one thing to help the bad guys?
If you would stoop to participating in a lynch just to avoid helping the bad guys, you are no better than them.
The hell you sayin', Coleman? I'm gettin' some veeeery diff'rent sorta vibes from these posts an' am begginin' to question your intentions.

First you take a position of no-lynch to avoid potentially clappin' a fellow player, now you sayin' it don' matter if a few good guys kick the can?

I don't vibe with this one bit, man.
Another post to set up Coleman.
Bill Dixon wrote:Mr. Coleman, I was hopin' to have a slightly more concrete case to think about in th' wake of th' vote today, but I'm startin' to think yo lookin' a little more worrisome than anyone else here. I think you got my vote now.
Then this, very weak reasoning for a vote, espacilly when we had someone who was very obvious mafia. THIS WAS another attempt to avoid teammate/start a counterwagon.
Who the hell was the obvious mafia here? The other wagon been on Miss Hiromi, who ain' said much of anything up to this point. Now I changed my read on Miss Hiromi after two more days of failin' to contribute anythin', but I don' see you votin' for the person you claim is "very obvious mafia". What caused you to change your key, Trane?
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:
Vince Guaraldi wrote:Mr. Dixon, I beg you to place your vote on either Tito or Fleck. As it stands, there will be a tie if Tito shows up and tries to save himself. Let's pick sides on these two and see how any vote changing shakes out.
Hrmm. I guess as it stands, my vote for Mr. Coleman don' mean much, huh?

I think I mentioned before I'd rather Tito have a chance to 'splain his position. Don't like how he ain't been here, but I'm feelin' more strongly 'bout the case made against Mr. Fleck-tone. If it's in th' best interest of the band, I'll begrudgin'ly switch to Mr. Fleck.
Well his Coleman wagon doesn't take off, so he switches to Fleck in an attempt to protect Tito his scum buddy. He dislikes Fleck's town no other reason. Notice Silver his main defender was killed this same night after the push on Fleck failed and a mafia member was lynched instead?
Now you perhaps weren't payin' close enough attention, because I voiced my concern 'bout Fleck earlier.
Bill Dixon wrote:Mista Fleck-tone soundin' like he takin' some accusations pretty seriously n' stuff. I ain't know what to make about that, we from diff'rent backgrounds an' all. But I'm thinkin' Brother Miles makin' some good points: he flip floppin' on his Day 1 vote, sayin' a bus on the boss ain't no thang when it could cleahly explain summa his actions. He could be tryna distance hisself hard. He could be puttin' onna front 'bout takin' thangs so personally t' tryin' get people on his side. I ain't thinkin' he lookin' too hot right now either.
Also, you seem to have missed that my vote were originally on Mr. Fleck. I only changed to Coleman when I see him say some stuff that was soundin' downright contradictory. I changed back to Mr. Fleck upon Brother Guaraldi's request, seein' as I still didn't like his actions. I still don' like it to be honest. I'm jus' feelin' a little more strongly 'bout Miss Hiromi right now.
John Coltrane wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Thas' a downrigh' pain in my chest I'm feelin' right now. Rest in peace, lovely Miss Holiday. Señor Puente, shame on you.

Mister Guaraldi, you be makin' some interestin' accusations n'all. Not sure what t'make of all that, as I'm feelin' mostly alright 'bout both Miss Hiromi and Brother Miles. Frankly I weren't too sure 'bout Señor Puente's guilt either, an' frankly I'm thinkin' we got mighty lucky 'bout knockin' another baddie off the drum stool. If Miss Hiromi's good 'n all, which, I ain't no math studies kinda cat, but statistically speakin' I'm thinkin' she is, this coulda gone quite a diff'rent way.

If I can briefly address the concerns about Mr. Buble, I was lettin' my personal feelin's get inna way. I said I wanted t'vote for him 'cuz I didn't like the fella nor his music, plain n' simple. I just felt it was jumpin' the gun to vote for 'im for that reason alone when I didn't have no evidence on his character either way. I ended up votin' for Brother Mingus 'cuz I felt he was rubbin' some folks the wrong way, tryin' a be a provocateur for no good reason.

If I can address somethin' relevant to your point, however, I ain't feelin' too great 'bout Brother Coleman. He flippin' his vote every which way the last part of yesterday, an' he end up votin' on Señor Puente. If I ain't mistaken, he's the reason Señor was kicked out versus Mr. Fleck-tone. I seen him pullin' for a no-vote on Day 1 when he see Mr. Buble was on he way out. I pointed out some inconsistencies in his playin' yesterday, an' my thought is that he tryna distance his self on the first day when he see the godfather knockin' on death's door, an' once he see Señor on his way out too, he thinkin' he put his vote there to get some good boy points wit the band.

I'm thinkin' Brother Coleman was doin' some serious bussin' on his teammate yesterday, 'specially knowin' he could get away with it when his teammate ain' even there to defend himself. I weren't feelin' too great about him earlier, now I ain't feelin' good at all.
His only post for day 3 then he just goes AWOL, votes for Coleman since he was bussing his teammate, yet doesn't address his day 1 no lynch which was also suspicious. This is very weak reasoning.

I'm tempted to say we have four mafia members, Hirome and Dixon being the last two. Either way a Dixon lynch is the way to go tomorrow. Two times he avoided and was agaisnt the mafia wagon. He day 2 switched from Colman (the cop) to lynch Blek in an attempt to save his teammate.
You must be blind, Trane, I done mentioned his no-vote twice in posts you yourself quoted. Also you ain't been especially around the last few days neither. You guilty of doin' the exact same thing you accusin' me of.

What's gotten into you, Trane?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

One hour remaining.
The Dry Flood
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 37

Post by The Dry Flood »

Dixon today.
Golden
Marmot
Ricochet

Re: Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia [POLLS]

Post by Ricochet »

Votes in grey are votes that moved.
Ricochet

Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia

Post by Ricochet »

This is the longer story of Bill, how he ended up here, how he did his share of the battle and how he died.

This morning, Bill felt really tired, even though he'd just been sleeping. That night, he dreamt of a monstrous fish head, growing out of his skull and feeding upon it. He sat down at the kitchen counter and re-read a jazz interview in an old Downbeat edition. Then he watched the ants crawl around in his sink.

A letter and an envelope came for him that day. The invitation said something about welcoming him to a "Great Jazz Spirits Reunion Show" event later that evening, "9PM sharp" in fact, at the Auditorium. Meanwhile, the envelope was more of a special message from, allegedly, one of the Hosts of the event, telling him of a particular mission he was invested in and a team he had to work with, should he choose to come to the event.

Bill just sighed and thought to himself that this had to happen sooner or later. He didn't know right then what to do. Then he decided to call his daughter on Skype. Someone else answered, though.

'Brrrrrrrrrrroooooowoowooo ohh lookett ohpeens aahp', a child's treble voice was heard, along with the sound of hands bashing and clasping on the keyboard.
'Emily? Emily pumpkin is that you? My goodness, look at you', Bill spoke, looking a bit puzzled.
'Hiiiiii', the joyous girl replied, staring at him.
'Wanted to speak with your momma a bit', Bill explained, 'but I guess she ain't aroun' right now. Anyhow, I wanted to tell you I'm headin' out tonight, might just head out soon in fact, somethin' I gotta do, somethin' serious to deal with, you know. Funny thing tho, I don't know how it'll go and what will happen after.'
'I had lunch today...' Emily informed him.
'Nothing to worry 'bout, everything is going smooth, you know, but just sayin' it for the record. You make sure you tell your mom about this, kay sugar? Listen... When folks have a long history behind 'em, they either get to stay on top or get blanked out, you know... and sometimes you have to take matter into ya own hands and do somethin' to get back on top.'
'Granpa!’ Emily shouted with a distracted look.
'The phases I went through, in my art, haven't been conscious or anythin'', Bill suddenly got deep into thoughts. 'They've just worked themselves to the present stage. It's been sort of an evolution, without being overly complex or simplistic about it. Whether it goes places or not, you can do it; whether anyone sees it or not, you should do it; it's only depending on the necessity for you to do this, that it will evolve somehow. You make things, you put them aside; you make other things, you put them aside.'
'Do you like my cars?’ Emily asked.
'Emily, one day you will grow up and get to hear all my music and see all my paintings and other such art works. They might prove interesting, they might prove abstract, they might prove confusing, they might prove poetic, they might prove enlightening, they might prove free, they might prove old... All I can hope for is that they might still remind you a little of me... Music is getting so digital these days anyway, making it easier to make and to preserve... Wouldn't it be real nice if, in the not too distant future, folks could undergo a digitalization their own minds, like residin' in a cube, you now, where they could live on livin' on, gettin' to know a further safe, extended lifespan...'
'Look! I drawd... I thriaangle!’ Emily showed him a picture.
'I drew a snake girl on the daily crossword page, this morning', Bill said.
'But sum days... you hav to not make a snake girl... cuz yestrday I dinnt see any snake girl... but... you made one', Emily went on.
'Wha?' Bill got real confused.
'Can I do your other, but... then go round things?'
'I have no idea what you sayin', sweetheart.'
'Wiggle wiggle wiggle!'
'OK.'

As he reached for the keys on the counter, he froze for a bit and stood there staring at them, suddenly thinking about all the times he'd grabbed his keys there before and how many days of his life were wasted repeating the same tasks and rituals in his apartment over and over again. As Bill left the apartment, he stopped on the sidewalk, looked around and up, and thought to himself: 'It's kind of a really nice day.' He decided to walk first around the block for a bit. On the side of the road, he saw a woman's tennis shoes filled with leaves and it filled him with inexplicable sadness. At a newsstand, Bill looked at the list of magazines for sale and angrily wondered why they didn't offer any Asian porn. Then he wondered why he wondered that.

On the way to the bus stop, Bill saw somebody he recognized walking towards him, but he couldn't remember his name. He began to think of things to say when they'd be close enough to acknowledge each other. As they drew nearer, their eyes locked, uncertain if the other was going to stop to talk. The person greeted Bill as Bill mixed up the phrases 'What's up' with 'How's it going?’ Confused, the person blurted out 'Thanks', before he knew what he was saying. Words caught in Bill's throat and he replied, 'Weh'. They did a sort of awkward half turn, and then continued on, now confident that the other was not going to stop to talk.

In the bus taking him to the Auditorium, he sat in the back, next to a hippie looking guy who was listening to music on his headphones at such a loud volume, Bill could almost hear it himself. It sounded very much like one of Chopin's piano concertos. The guy noticed him and, without pausing the music or taking his headphones off, asked him, 'How's it goin'". The question made Bill even sulkier and he felt compelled to open up to this stranger about the weird days he's been having lately and how he feels he's at a stage, in which he's looking back instead of forwards, and that now, at the dawn of all these years of worry, sleepless nights and denials, he finds himself himself staring death in the face, surrounded by people he no longer recognizes.

The guy just hummed in acknowledgement at Bill's ranting, but then, just as Bill was thinking that the person didn't really pay any attention to him, this fellow started telling him he's got no reason to be so morose. 'From the sound of it, you spent dozens of years traveling the world, learning all there is to know and creating stunning works of art. And you'll do so for the next hundreds of years, too. You will learn every language. You will read every book. You will know every land. You will learn to meditate to control all pain. As wars will be fought and great loves found... and lost... and found. Lost... and found. And memories built upon memories, until life runs on an endless loop. Exploring... learning... living... until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet. Until the sun is long since gone. Until time loses all meaning. Living and living until all of the lights go out...'

Bill looked quite befuddled hearing all this. The guy just stared blankly for the next minute, until he thought of something and showed Bill his phone. 'Check out this video of a dog trying to catch a ball inside the house and fucking nosedives into a shelve of CDs. Makes me lose it every time I watch it, man.'

As Bill got out of the bus, facing the Auditorium building on the other side of the street, he kept thinking of that person's words and uncontrollably shed a tear. He grabbed tighter of his case, preparing to cross the street over, and he smiled, thinking for the first time that maybe everything will be o-- 'Oh hey there, you must be Mr. Dixon', a tall, excited man interrupted him. 'My name is Socky, I'm the one who sent you the invitation this morning, remember? So nice of you to come, wow, what a legend, I have so much respect for your work.' Bill noticed this Socky fella was holding a crowbar in his right hand and asked him what that was for. Socky just mumbled something about having to force open the doors of the place or something. 'Well, then, head right in', Socky continued, 'I'm just waiting here to greet the others, shouldn't take much longer now, you've arrived right on time.'

Before going inside, Bill showed him the envelope he received besides the invitation, wanting to ask what to do in this kind of situation. 'Oh, well, hmm', Socky checked the message and then advised Bill: 'this is quite challenging, but I'm sure you'll be up for the job. Just do your best, mingle with the others, play it like you mean it, wait to meet up with the rest afterwards and it might all work well. I'm sure you'll do great.'

===

And since then, Bill has had a lot to do and put up with. He was pleased, upon arrival, to see so many of the jazz greats he worked with, admired or appreciated back in his prime, but was slightly peeved to find out they'd all be his opponents, whilst the more strange characters in this turnout were the ones he was tagged with. 'Misfit among misfits', he thought to himself. At first, it made it rather easier for him to try to stir the pot first and comment on croonboy Bublé not belonging much in here. But then, once the talks got serious, he suddenly got a bit of cold feet and faux-pas'd himself into not tuning himself all the way through to the folks' heckle. Sounding his trumpet upon Coltrane, however, was sure to bite him back later.

Still, far from discouraged, Bill head over, during the first interval, to the private artists' booth that was mentioned on his envelope and waited there for the others... or, well, other. But he ended up spending that hour alone in the room. He thought he heard Tito's voice passing by, saying 'ayy lmao que fiasco', but the man never came in and soon was nowhere to be seen, when Bill checked outside on the hallway. So eventually he just took matter in his own hands and went back out there, to do what's necessary. He found Fats in the bathroom, trying to cool out after an altercation, and proceeded to knock him out and make an art installation out of him, using the pipes around and Fats' trumpet as headpiece.

Back on stage, he found it pleasing that the stars were bickering among themselves, and tried at the same time not to get too mercurial himself and to snake charm the rest with his thoughts on everyone. Alas, he ended up off-beat again when Tito fell asleep on the drum set and everyone decided to smother him. He was now solo. Determined to keep messing with people's insecurities, yet not liking the sight of Davis and Vince sticking together on stage, he followed Fleck and Holiday instead, when no one else could spot him and, whilst Fleck was still swooning from his head wound, kidnapped the lady, carried her upstairs with considerable effort and gave her rope wings to float motionlessly back on scene.

Another interval, another trial to go through, but much to his surprise, the writing wasn't on the wall for him just yet, given how ambitious Coleman was to gather all the boo's himself. With the excuse of wanting to go practice, but in truth trying to lure Coltrane into a death duo, he nonetheless couldn't go through with it, once hearing Trane's old style, affectionate improvs. He returned earlier than Trane and the rest on stage and picked on - albeit with just as much blues-singing motivation - the sitting duck Vince, instead.

And now, after all these crazy later hours, Bill felt his solo efforts were finally taking their toll and burning him out. What he didn't know was that his biggest, solo-est challenge was yet to come...

But first, one more promotional moment from our sponsor...

19.IX.2011

"Viactium, in all earnestness, is probably the essential E.S.T. album. It's the album you can recommend to anyone, it's the album anyone can start with, it's the second creative fuel tank which which the band skyrocketed further on their glorious, getting either more profound, more conceptual, more technical or more elaborate in their music making. And this is coming from the fanboy, for whom none of their albums are duds, irrelevant, unsatisfying or even remotely close to that. Still, even for me, Viaticum was my both introductory and groundbreaking entry into their jazzverse, and it stands as what I'd call the essence of all their art. Have they since surpassed even this high plane? No doubt whatsoever. Still, there's no better "compendium" of their traditional and their "way out" side than this album.

If I would have owned Viaticum on cassette, it would have long been worn out, during my high-school back and forth promenades in the city, due to how much I listened and relistened to its pieces. Particularly 'The Well-Wisher', a most fetching and candid funky loop, and 'The Unstable Table and the Infamous Fable', a whirlwind of sounds, arpeggios, crescendos, solos and effects. These two were in my enduring "opiate" mixtape back then. They're no solitary gems on the album, though. The usual slow-fast opening sequence ('Tide of Trepidation and 'Eighty-Eight Days in My Veins) showcases the band's natural, long-practiced craft. The title track and 'In the Tail of the Eye' are profoundly deep, intimate and inspiring slow ballads, the latter bridging with the flurrying, crashing, wicked sounding 'Letter from the Leviathan'. Finally, stuff like the hidden track on What Though the Way May Be Long introduces perhaps for the first time the more ethereal, non-descript language, that the band will then further explore and absorb into their music and their concerts..."

And now, let us conclude...

All amnesty and cool headedness among the musicians seemed to have yet again vanished, now that the player who could maybe cheer them up the most, not to mention judge event by the sound not by the fury, had been cruelly slain. Could this madness really go on much further, everyone seemed to wonder. The grand piano became impractical now, but Hiromi could still make use of her KORG and melodica. Mingus' bass was still in surprising good shape, although Mingus couldn't be less excited about current circumstances and shakedowns, which he considered garbage at Mingus standards. Fleck's banjo was in shambles, but he didn't care much about it no more. The brass gifted all felt spent. Drumkid Neyman, returning from practice, looked like a mess. Instead, Fletcher soon followed with his immovable posture and spirit and, to no one's surprise, demanded the players to resume the session.

'Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends', he took his center stage spot again. 'Or will it?' he judgmentally asked. 'I see we'll be hearing no more doodle bop from our bewhiskered friend', he joked of the late Vince. 'No worries. Now... maybe it's time to finally bring this home, what do you say?' He took the total silent reaction as confirmation, although, from the players, it was a bit more of a "please die already" reaction. 'Ok, then', Fletcher continued. 'Let's do...ah, this should work well given our current formation... Easy Six, bar one-oh-eight...'
'We're still seven, not counting the squeaker...' Coltrane pedantically mentioned.
'Well, not for long...' Fletcher grinned.

And so, they were at it again, ready to play and endure. Fletcher's right hand rose in the air and stopped vibrating pointing straight at the ensemble and the tense seconds started to add up, as everyone was waiting for his flick cue... But then:
'Nope, I just thought of something else', Fletcher lowered his hand. 'This piece has a lot of alternative solos, so I figured, we're almost one of a kind left for each of the core instruments - well, that disjoined frying pan Fleck's holding notwithstanding - so why not test out each of your solos first. Maybe this way, we can finally separate the best from the rest...'
This sounded like torture for the long bone-weary musicians, but there wasn't much they could do about it anyway. So, from left to right, they each started improvising, only to be then judged by the others.

Hiromi played her cadenza with surprising levity and refined playfulness with the harmonies, like a girl would waltz in a shoestand, trying countless pairs. And the others found it even-tempered.
Mingus just played the bass of Bemsha Swing, to signal all the fucks he was giving, and everyone else just said whatever.
Fleck played his solo like a brokenhearted love song, with some semblance to a faded woman's voice. Nobody would then doubt this man's craft and passion.
Down at the reeds, Coltrane played his like a soft serenade, but still with some rebellious inflexions. Everyone then valued it at around 3.5 stars out of 5, really.
Potter couldn't compete with his alternative and indeed sounded a bit dry, but, despite a few reservations, the rest of the band agreed it also had a serious note to it.
Trumpets left, and Miles just blew notes without even holding his trumpet with his hands. The Host kindly requests that you don't ask how that's even possible, he'd just like to wrap up this writing.
And Bill...

From the moment Fletcher suggested these solo trials, Bill finally saw the writing on the wall and knew what would happen. Then, when his turn came, he did the only thing left for him to do.

He got up and played.

And he played unlike anyone else, with long notes and broad strokes, wailing and gliding between the intervals, intensifying to leviathan-esque proportions. It sounded rough, fierce, bitter, wild and free. It... it sounded really beautiful.

When he finished, he put down his trumpet and looked at everyone around, who were not saying anything. And he knew. And they knew.
'I could sense it all along', Coltrane said.
'Let it be done, brother', Mingus commented. 'Your tunes are meant for different spheres than ours...'
'Dixon...’ Fletcher glared at him with a blank expression. 'You're done.'

For his musical efforts, however, the musicians did award Bill the clemency of escorting him back to the bus station, on to the late midnight ride, and giving him a head start until the break of dawn until they'd call the police, given his less tolerable criminal efforts. It was then certainly not their fault - nor indeed did they even remain outside long enough to notice it - that Bill's bus, just three blocks down the avenue, was hit by a train.

Bill's last thoughts was that, maybe, he had accomplished something after all. Then he remembered the conversation he had with his granddaughter yesterday and how she teased him and pranced in front of the webcam, saying 'Wiggle wiggle wi-

Bill Dixon has been kicked out of the band. His real name was agleaminranks.

His role song was 'Letter from the Leviathan' off Viaticum and he was vanilla mafia.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

'Ok, so now what?' Potter asked, when the final six returned in the Auditorium Hall.
'Well...' said Coltrane. 'Let's play something.'
'Something by Mingus!', suggested none other than Mingus.
'Alright already!', gestured Fleck. 'Let's get this over with.'
And the big band of six (err seven with Neyman) played Mingus' Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul and it all sounded good. Even Fletcher was so content, that when they finished playing, he was out the door.
'And now what?' Potter asked again.
'Well...' Miles gave his cheeky input. 'Let's wrap it up, the old fashioned way...Five, six, seven and-'

'Wait, wait, wait, hol' on, hoool on' Miles then interjected. 'This sounded rather flukey, don't you think? Let's try it one mo' time. Five, six, seven and-'
Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia has concluded! The civilian jazz players have won!
Congratulations to
a2thezebra, DrWilgy, G-Man, ika, Long Con, Metalmarsh89, Polo, sig, Silverwolf and Vompatti.
Thanks for playing, everyone!
Many thanks to MP for modding and to SVS for helping out.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Setup walkthrough
Signup phase

Every player who confirmed participation was asked to optionally send to the Host via PM two or three names of jazz players that he/she liked the most, in case he/she were familiar with this genre. Period, subgenre and instrument(s) mattered not; the only rules were that it had to be a specific artist (i.e. not a band or ensemble) and that he/she could not have chosen Esbjörn Svensson.

One of the players' choices would thus become his/her sock account pseudonym.

In case a player would pass on choosing his/her favourites, the Mod of Duty would then be appointed as mediator. His temporary role was the following
Neutral Connoisseur.

You must pick the name of a jazz player for forum members that, during the signup process, have passed on doing this thing themselves. Please inform the Host via PM of your pick. Person, genre, jazz period, instrument(s) matter not; the only rules are that it must be a specific individual (i.e. not ensembles or bands) and it cannot be Esbjörn Svensson. You will not be told which other names have been already picked or named, but in case your pick should come in conflict with already chosen ones, the Host will let you know. You will not be told which forum member you're choosing for.
Game phase
Civilian Roles

"Hands Off" from When Everyone Has Gone. Civilian doctor. Every Night, can choose to protect a player from being nightkilled.
"Breadbasket" from Live '95. Vanilla civilian.
"Bemsha Swing" from Plays Monk. Vanilla civilian.
"Semblance Part II" from Winter in Venice. Vanilla civilian.
"Serenade for the Renegade" from Strange Place to Snow. Vanilla civilian.
"Elevation of Love" from Seven Days of Falling. Vanilla civilian.
"Dolores in a Shoestand" from Tuesday Wonderland. Vanilla civilian.
"The Rube Thing" from Live in Hamburg. Vanilla civilian.
"Jazz" from Leucocyte. Civilian cop. Every Night, can check a player to determine his role and alignment. Receives one free ID on another civilian at the end of D0.
"The Left Lane" from 301. Vanilla civilian.

Mafia Roles

"Dodge the Dodo" from From Gagarin's Point of View. Mafia godfather. Will be read as civilian if checked by the civilian cop.
"The Wraith" from Good Morning Susie Soho. Vanilla mafia.
"Letter from the Leviathan" from Viaticum. Vanilla mafia.

---

a2thezebra, having chosen Mingus among her jazz names and having been assigned as such, met during role distribution the conditions to be granted an extra ability:

Additionally and exceptionally, you are also a Mingussanifier (or Timmersanifier). You get a one-time night power to target a player with curse that player to post in an insanified way during the subsequent Day phase. The "Timmer"variation of this curse usually meant, in past games, that the cursed player had to post "Timmer" instead of any names or pronouns in every sentence he wrote. You can choose to curse him to write "Mingus", but it is up to you to evaluate the consequences of doing that. You can also choose any other keyword you might prefer, but usually "Timmer" had the most memetic impact in past games.

You can use it only starting Night 1 and it will take effect if and only if you survive the Night in which you sent the action.
She would have been granted this ability if and only if she drew a civilian role (which she did).

Apologies for colouring outside the 3-role guidelines with this and apologies to the player who got insanified, but it was too fun not to reference Mingus (i.e. his album called Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, for instance) this way. (Then again, ika's response to being cursed with this was pretty, uhm, "eloquent...)
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Socks distribution
In order of signing up:

Metalmarsh89's picks were Hiromi Uehara, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane. He was assigned Hiromi Uehara.
agleaminranks' picks were Robert Glasper, Bill Dixon, Brad Mehldau. He was assigned Bill Dixon.
a2thezebra's picks were Vince Guaraldi, Charles Mingus, Serge Bringolf. She was assigned Charles Mingus.
Polo's picks were Chris Potter, Dave Holland, Tony Williams. He was assigned Chris Potter.
sig passed on picking jazz players. The Neutral Connoisseur was appointed and picked John Coltrane for him.
Sorsha's pick was Tito Puente. She was assigned Tito Puente.
Long Con's picks were Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Coltrane was already taken. He was assigned Miles Davis.
ika passed on picking jazz players. The Neutral Connoisseur was appointed and picked Béla Fleck for him.
Silverwolf's picks were Merl Saunders, Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong. She was assigned Billie Holiday.
DrWilgy hesitated to provide me with picks. Then, he googled Fats Navarro. He was assigned Fats Navarro.
Vompatti's picks were Ornette Coleman, Chet Baker and Andrew Hill. He was assigned Ornette Coleman.
G-Man's pick was Vince Guaraldi. Luckily I had not assigned Guaraldi as zebra's first choice. Thus, G-Man was assigned Vince Guaraldi.
Scotty's picks were Michael Bublé, Harry Connick Jr. and Ella Fitzgerald. He was assigned Michael Bublé.

Thanks to sprityo and Matt for signing up as replacements, even if you never got to sub. :beer:
Roles distribution
agleaminranks was serious in wanting to be a Viaticum-related role, so I granted him that wish. I hinted in private that he should be careful what he wishes for, but he replied YOLO. :feb: All the other 12 roles were randomly distributed, as seen below:

Proof

In order of game roles (alignment > E.S.T. albums chronology)

"Hands Off" from When Everyone Has Gone | Miles Davis | Long Con
"Breadbasket" from Live '95 | Chris Potter | Polo
"Bemsha Swing" from Plays Monk | Charles Mingus | a2thezebra
"Semblance Part II" from Winter in Venice | Béla Fleck | ika
"Serenade for the Renegade" from Strange Place to Snow | John Coltrane | sig
"Elevation of Love" from Seven Days of Falling | Billie Holiday | Silverwolf
"Dolores in a Shoestand" from Tuesday Wonderland | Hiromi Uehara | Metalmarsh89
"The Rube Thing" from Live in Hamburg | Fats Navarro | DrWilgy
"Jazz" from Leucocyte | Vompatti | Ornette Coleman
"The Left Lane" from 301 | Vince Guaraldi | G-Man

"Dodge the Dodo" from From Gagarin's Point of View | Michael Bublé | Scotty
"The Wraith" from Good Morning Susie Soho | Tito Puente | Sorsha
"Letter from the Leviathan" from Viaticum | Bill Dixon | agleaminranks
nutellaphant
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 44
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia [AD INFINITUM / Endgame]

Post by nutellaphant »

Go civs!

RIP baddies.
Ben Wyatt
Human Disaster
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Important!

Please clear out your sock accounts by erasing your messages
and resetting your password (if changed) to:

estmafia1

Inform here in the thread once you have done so.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Now that the game has concluded, an MVP must be voted, so he can qualify for the All-Star Heist Whatiscalled.

Please send me via PM your nomination for the E.S.T. Mafia MVP. You have 24 hours, but I would suggest you do it, like, right now... :nicenod: (people will usually tend to forget, otherwise).

There's also been some real quality roleplaying, so please nominate a player for the E.S.T. Best Roleplay award, as well!
(I don't remember, can non-players vote as well...?)
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Finally, and this is highly exceptional for a Heist game, but I also took the liberty to craft some banners for this game.

And one for me. :cloud9:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Epignosis »

Had I signed up, I would have gone with Bill Evans, Astrid Gilberto, or Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. I would have been happy with any of them. Or Joe Pass.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Towny McTownface
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Towny McTownface »

Sweet! Combining ISO reads to my vote analysis really paid off. Have to laugh at the fact that I voted for a baddie for a pointless reason Day 1. I'm glad my notes brought me back around to him. Go civvies!
The Dry Flood
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 37

Post by The Dry Flood »

HA I KNEW IT! FIrst game I was relevant in winning as a civ.
Golden
Marmot
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:Had I signed up, I would have gone with Bill Evans, Astrid Gilberto, or Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. I would have been happy with any of them. Or Joe Pass.
(Why didn't you?)

Bill Evans would have been a great choice and you would have most certainly received it.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sig »

Thanks for the game Rico I enjoyed it! And good game all around I enjoyed it alot. :D
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ricochet wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Had I signed up, I would have gone with Bill Evans, Astrid Gilberto, or Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. I would have been happy with any of them. Or Joe Pass.
(Why didn't you?)

Bill Evans would have been a great choice and you would have most certainly received it.
My attention has been occupied elsewhere. :feb:

This looked fun from what I read though.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

sig wrote:Thanks for the game Rico I enjoyed it! And good game all around I enjoyed it alot. :D
Cheers, sig! :beer: You were indeed solid and no-nonsense in your hunt, congrats.
agleaminranks
The Mark

Post by agleaminranks »

Sockpuppet account cleared and pass reset.

Rico, I can only hope the story for the final day was written in my honor. You know how much I love Hertzfeldt. Wiggle wiggle wiggle. OK

I'd like to thank you guys for letting me play. This was my first real experience as mafia and I had quite a bit of fun. Congrats on the win.
I also want to thank my teammates for presenting me with a tremendous handicap from the get go. I just wanna emphasize how little I had to go with and how stacked the odds were against me from the get go. :fist:
┏━━━┳━━━┳━┓┏━┳━━━┓┏━━━━┳━━┓┏┓╋┏┓
┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃┃┗┛┃┃┏━━┛┃┏┓┏┓┃┏┓┃┃┃╋┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┃┃┏┓┏┓┃┗━━┓┗┛┃┃┗┫┗┛┗┫┗━┛┃
┗━━┓┃┗━┛┃┃┃┃┃┃┏━━┛╋╋┃┃╋┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃
┃┗━┛┃┏━┓┃┃┃┃┃┃┗━━┓╋╋┃┃╋┃┗━┛┃┃╋┃┃
┗━━━┻┛╋┗┻┛┗┛┗┻━━━┛╋╋┗┛╋┗━━━┻┛╋┗┛
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Oops, I know I said "finally" in my previous Host Post, but, better put my hat back on...

Forgot to mention, but either here or in private, any kind of feedback would be welcomed. Thanks again for participating!

And "finally"

Host Diary, Quirks, References
Diary

Day 0

== Wilgy (Navarro) jumps right on to sockguessing, gets actually 7/8 right (apart from thinking G-Man didn't join), although some names were pretty obvious or had slipped that they'd play
== sig (Coltrane) and Sorsha (Puente) get into their role pretty quickly
== Gleam (Dixon) mild distancing from Scotty (Buble) from the get go? Scotty plays along.
== So far, sig (Coltrane) seems to roleplay on his own and Gleam (Dixon) seems to follow the cliffnotes he received in doing his own act.
== Vompatti (Coleman) received confirmation of G-Man (Guaraldi) being vanilla civilian at the end of the phase, as his free ID to start the game.

Day 1

== Wilgy (Fats) fishes for reaction on sig (Coltrane) with a vote; sig later eyeballs him back
== G-Man (Guaraldi) fishes for reaction on Gleam (Dixon); Long Con (Miles) adds to it, Wilgy (Fats) dismisses it
== ika sockgaffes multiple times
== Gleam (Dixon) keeps it cool, bites back at Long Con (Miles); gets civread by MM (Hiromi)
== Vompatti (Coltrane) posts dada stuff, MM (Hiromi) replies to it; later Coltrane votes no lynch
== banter on voting Scotty (Buble) from Coltrane and Dixon; Gleam keeps the button on bus, in this matter
== Polo (Potter) finally makes an appearance
== Gleam (Dixon) pushes for a Zebra (Mingus) suss, invoking even Host flavour; little sketchy, but doesn't catch fire for it
== Scotty (Buble) dismisses votes on him; ika (Fleck) calls it unsatisfying; Scotty OMGUS's him
== Silverwolf (Holiday) votes his hubby for sockgaffing, lulz; then switches to Scotty (Buble)
== Fats - Coltrane antagonism intensifies, enough for a counterwagon
== Fats analyses votes, likes Mingus' vote for Buble but dislikes Potter's; dislikes Hiromi's vote for Trane; dislikes both votes on Dixon; dislikes Coleman's no lynch; ironically, this could be plenty of material to backfire back at him, post-flip or even long term (looking like he's defending scummy Dixon)
== inadvertedly, Scotty's top sock choice seems to have backfired on him, once he rolled mafia, since Buble was easy to pick on by the more old school, high-art socks... End of Day 1, mafia team looks in pretty bad shape: Sorsha (Tito) tried a save move on the counterwagon, but Scotty didn't return to try to save himself; Gleam (Dixon) backed away from his early Buble suss. Godfather death also eliminates any margin of error from the cop's future reads

Night 1

== sig (Coltrane) reads all four Buble voters civilians [correct] and last voter to wagon him as mafia [correct]; also calls Bill mafia, which is also correct, but then sort of backtracks...?
== Silverwolf (Billie) also intent to look at Coltrane wagoners [1 scum, two civs] also Guaraldi and Davis [1 civ, 1 doc]
== Gleam (Dixon) goes for the Scotty was bussed approach
== Wilgy (Fats) gets heat for being first counter-wagoner (from Fleck and Davis)
== Long Con (Davis) is considering wild option that Fleck mega-distanced; WIFOM talk sparks some tension, could get mafia-exploitable

== Vompatti (Coleman) asked for a read on John Coltrane and received confirmation of him being vanilla civilian at the end of the Phase
== Long Con (Davis) protected zebra (Mingus)
== zebra (Mingus) did not send in her insanification power - or shown any signs of end-phase presence, for that matter
== Mafia - or in fact just Gleam (Dixon) - chooses to eliminate a player involved in in-thread quarrels, namely Wilgy (Fats).

Day 2
== To sum it up, the nightkill momentarily created some smear on Coltrane, after which The Bickering Trio of Davis, Fleck and Mingus, with Dame Holliday as a special guest, became the polarizing event. Long Con (Davis) later claimed he just kept pressure on. Bicker between zebra (Mingus) and ika (Fleck) seems to have been based on principles, moreover. Vompatti (Coleman) plainly dumped the info that he checked Coltrane and Silverwolf (Holiday) seems to have picked that up right away. All moves on Hiromi suddenly moved on Sorsha (Puente). Sorsha never reappeared since the beginning of Night 1. Gleam's (Dixon) ISOs were solid smokescreen, imo, but he made a bit of a hasty move, jumping off Fleck's counterwagon. To his somewhat better fortune (at least for the moment), G-Man (Vince) created a momentum for him to return on casting a relevant vote.

Night 2
== Vompatti (Coleman) asked for a read on Billie Holiday and will receive confirmation of her being vanilla civilian at the end of the Phase
== Long Con (Davis) protected G-Man (Vince) on this Night
== Zebra (Mingus) used his mingussanifier on Fleck (setting it to "Mingus", to explicitly spite him)
== Gleam (Dixon) killed Billie Holiday. Incidentally, it ruined the cop's read that Phase.

Day 3
== Fleck (ika) posted normally at first, before receiving his curse via PM, then forgot about posting in curse language, then just evaded the curse requirements (stopped using names and pronouns, although he still slipped one or two times afterwards) and didn't come back until EoD, either.
== [I didn't keep a record in real-time, tbh] Bottom line, Coleman got lynched and Coleman didn't exactly do much against it, as expected. Counter-wagon was Hiromi, for low activity and POE D1 counter-wagoning. Tally ended 5 to 4.

Night 3
== Long Con (Davis) protected ika (Fleck) on this Night.
== Gleam (Dixon) considered killing Polo (Potter), then changed to G-Man (Vince). It probably happened after Potter wrote another suspicion post on Dixon in the thread.

Day 4
== A bit of conflict between big-ego-civilians resumed, with a bit of second doubting and WIFOM thrown in it, but then POE on lynched baddies' counterwagons and plot against Cop Coleman getting lynched finally dooms Gleam (Dixon). The game is complete.

Quirks

During Signups, the Host shared regularly (up to a point) pieces by E.S.T. None of the pieces shared in the Signup thread were role songs assigned in the game. During the Day, the Host sometimes shared music by the jazz artists chosen by the players who signed up.

All the Diary entries started with a letter from E S B J O R N's name. I only got to ESBJORN SV-, though. :suspish:

All the Diary entries, except for "Prelude" and "Take 1" (the stuff dealing with E.S.' death and my impressions on Leucocyte, upon first listen) and "Take 4" (rewritten parts of my review for 301, published on JazzMusicArchives), were newly improvised by me during the game. All the entries' dates, except for the three mentioned, were purely fictional. I never actually kept a diary on E.S.T.'s music.

References

All Host Post titles have been modified into pictures, to reference Leucocyte's cover graphics.

The Day 0 Title references E.S.T.'s album Tuesday Wonderland (as well as the title track on it). The game also happened to start (at least in my time zone) and have its Day 0 take place on a Tuesday.

The Day 1 Title is an exact reference to the two-part piece Premonition off Leucocyte.

In the Day 1 Host Post text:

-- The text is referencing in the first lines of dialogue the fact that the Neutral Connoisseur picked Monk or Fleck for a player who passed on choosing his sock (ika), but the Host went with Fleck instead of Monk
-- Miles is calling out some of the musicians with whom he recorded Bitches Brew: Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Dave Holland or Juma Santos ('Jim Riley') who played shakers and congas
-- The 'Remember me? (...) 'It's me, Charles. Yeah, Mingus!' line is taken from an open letter Mingus wrote to Davis.
-- Hiromi's line referenced the collaboration between her and Chick Corea.
-- Despite no intention for the Host Post to be anything but flavor, Ornette's creepy reply was meant to hint at him being Vompatti. Couldn't help it, I guess. :D
-- Coltrane's line on what matters in jazz is actually an actual quote from him.
-- The text introduced, for sheer flavor, Terence Fletcher from the movie Whiplash as an antagonizer. I'm not head over heels with that movie, its morals or the message it might try to convey, but I thought it was a worthy occasion to transpose him into the theme of this game. Several lines and situations were interpreted or even quoted from the movie.

The Night 1 title is a mix of Bublé's song called Feeling Good and Scotty's role card Dodge the Dodo. Sock-related references were slipped into the text (Ornette's Chappaqua, Miles' Steamin', Dixon wordplaying Miles' Kind of Blue). Bublé's swansong is adapted from his own song To Be Loved.

The Day 2 title references one of Navarro's pieces and the Host Post references the Rube Golden machine (as possible inspiration to E.S.T.'s 'The Rube Thing'?). Fletcher's "fat lady" pun is a reference to Navarro's being nicknamed that way, because of his weight issues. The part regarding Vince playing "fascinating rhythms" also references one of his pieces and him "snooping" references... well, y'know...

The Night 2 title is a paraphrase of Whiplash's Terence Fletcher's 'Not quite my tempo' catchphrase. The Host Post paraphrased the fight between Davis, Mingus, Fleck and Holiday and some of Fleck's philosophy on meta was turned into a monologue on the beauty of the banjo, towards the end of the text. Fleck's line about "disentchantment" is a reference to his album with Chick Corea The Entchantment and some of his monologue's musical references hint at Fleck's cover album of classical music Perpetuum Mobile. Gloomy Sunday was a song performed by the real Billie Holiday - Day 2 ended on a Sunday (early Monday). MovingPictures07's Death Note game and Host Post style is also referenced. Me smoking cigar and drinking wine references a PM I sent to MP during that Phase, expressing my dirty pleasure watching everything unfold.

The Day 3 title is a reference to one of Billie Holiday's songs. The Host Post referenced the romance between ika and Silver, the Host's real disentchantment at the mafia team getting BTFO. Vince remaining alone on stage turned into a recurrent joke. The Fast Show Jazz Club and Vince eating "peanuts" are pretty straightforwards. Miles joining Vince is a tongue-in-cheek references at LC protecting G-Man that Night.

The Night 3 title references one of Ornette Coleman's albums and Vompatti's ability to rolecheck in the game. All the words in Fletcher's insults were turned into rhyming equivalent; all the insults paraphrased, except for the first one, were said by Fletcher in the movie Whiplash. Neyman, the movie protagonist, is brought into the story for further flavour and for lack of a drummer, now that Tito was dead. ika's "Mingus" curse is referenced. A lot of Vompatti's weirdspeak is referenced or paraphrased, including his once infamous "I'm rooting for the baddies" (from Biblical), him often infoduming his confirmed civreads, his erotic love statement for certain writers or artists etc. The real Coleman's album Something Else!!! is also used in the dialogue. A paragraph from Borroughs' Naked Lunch (whose adaptation was scored by the real Coleman) is copied, with the word "jazz" replacing the word "junk" in the original text.

The Day 4 title is a reference to the "Good ol' Charlie Brown" catchphrase from Peanuts. Once again, Vince remaining alone is used as recurrent motive, this time to facilitate his death. Once again, Miles is referenced tagging along the person he protected that Night (ika/Fleck). The paragraph with Potter and the Host's meta joke that he will not die is a reference to Potter almost being targeted with the nightkill. Potter's story about a man playing jazz in a boat at sunset is a real story Polo once told me and even showed me a clip. The Host's story about once smoking weed, then having an important concert and then having heart issues, which he didn't know whether to attribute to the weed or the concert, is also real. The cutaway scene to Fletcher and Neyman is paraphrased from the movie.

The Finale title is a reference to one of Bill Dixon's albums, Vade Mecum, Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World, mixed with Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow. More on the latter in a minute. The Host post breaks into meta, with a backstory for Bill Dixon and a Dixon-POV recap of the phases' events. I sort of wrote this lengthy format as an hommage to Gleam (Dixon) actually trying his best in his role. Much of the first section is a paraphase to Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day animation trilogy, sometimes with word-for-word transposed dialogue, which Gleam and I are both gay for. The protagonist in that trilogy is called Bill. Dixon's absurd death, at the end of the Host Post, is also a tongue-in-cheek reference to a pun in one of the trilogy's fragments. Meanwhile, the bit of dialogue between Bill and his granddaughter Emily is a paraphrase of a scene in Hertzfeld't recent World of Tomorrow. During the next (and final) band rehearsal, Easy Six is a reference to a jazz song and to the fact that there would be six remaining players, once Day 4 concludes. During the solo trials, every remaining sock/player's role song (including Dixon's) is subtly referenced.

===

if Coltrane would have died D1, I would have used the title "Tranewreck" for the Host Post
if Fleck would have died D2, I would have used the title "Just a Fleck Wound" for the Host Post
if Hiromi would have died D3, I would have used the title "Hiromi, Mon Amour" (referencing the movie Hiroshima, Mon Amour) for the Host Post
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

agleaminranks wrote:Sockpuppet account cleared and pass reset.

Rico, I can only hope the story for the final day was written in my honor. You know how much I love Hertzfeldt. Wiggle wiggle wiggle. OK

I'd like to thank you guys for letting me play. This was my first real experience as mafia and I had quite a bit of fun. Congrats on the win.
I also want to thank my teammates for presenting me with a tremendous handicap from the get go. I just wanna emphasize how little I had to go with and how stacked the odds were against me from the get go. :fist:
It was. :beer: Hope you enjoyed it nevertheless and I'm sure you'll have a better experience, town or mafia, in the future.

Everyone should know that Gleam/Dixon sort of did a one-man effort for four cycles - 95%, let's say.

All the kills were his (his teammates hardly or never returned to aid him, despite being allowed to) and he was inspired (or lucky) enough to dodge the doctor every single time. On Night 2, he also cancelled the cop's read by killing the damsel herself.
All his kills were meant to seed some doubt or create some imbalance for the civs.

Aside from needing to work a bit more his vote/wagon camouflage, on searching for power roles to kill (I mean, Voopy was blatant-as-fuck, after all) and maybe being slightly more active in confronting his hunters, I'd conclude that he has put an otherwise commendable effort.
Polo
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Polo »

Thanks so much to Rico for being such an awesome host! I had a real fun time playing my first Mafia game here, even though I haven't been much of a good player. Hope to actually contribute to the fun of the next games I play!

The sunset-sax-on-a-boat guy is still doing it every day.
Ricochet

Re: Esbjörn Svensson Trio Mafia [POLLS]

Post by Ricochet »

Game history.
Attachments
E.S.T. - Final (game).png
E.S.T. - Final (game).png (28.09 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
agleaminranks
The Mark

Post by agleaminranks »

Ricochet wrote:Despite no intention for the Host Post to be anything but flavor, Ornette's creepy reply was meant to hint at him being Vompatti. Couldn't help it, I guess. :D
I had my suspicions but when I saw that line it confirmed it. Was actually real surprised you let that one through Rico. I got a good laugh out of it.
┏━━━┳━━━┳━┓┏━┳━━━┓┏━━━━┳━━┓┏┓╋┏┓
┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃┃┗┛┃┃┏━━┛┃┏┓┏┓┃┏┓┃┃┃╋┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┃┃┏┓┏┓┃┗━━┓┗┛┃┃┗┫┗┛┗┫┗━┛┃
┗━━┓┃┗━┛┃┃┃┃┃┃┏━━┛╋╋┃┃╋┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃
┃┗━┛┃┏━┓┃┃┃┃┃┃┗━━┓╋╋┃┃╋┃┗━┛┃┃╋┃┃
┗━━━┻┛╋┗┻┛┗┛┗┻━━━┛╋╋┗┛╋┗━━━┻┛╋┗┛
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Polo wrote:Thanks so much to Rico for being such an awesome host! I had a real fun time playing my first Mafia game here, even though I haven't been much of a good player. Hope to actually contribute to the fun of the next games I play!

The sunset-sax-on-a-boat guy is still doing it every day.
Dunno what you mean, you had spot on reads, for someone playing, I assume, his first online game? Sure, you have more of a "drop by on occasion" and "throw suspicion to see what sticks" kind of gameplay, but in this case it worked, so kudos to you.

See you in another game!

I was desperately searching for the video on YouTube when I manufactured that post and then I realized, d'oh, you filmed that, right? Completely forgot the town, though, so I invented some Mediterranean bogus stuff ... is it in your hometown?
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:"Jazz" from Leucocyte | Vompatti | Ornette Coleman
Whaaaaaaaat, vomps was Coleman? I never would've guessed :O :O :O
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Silverwolf »

Hey, Sock account cleared out and reset.

Thanks for the game Ricochet. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

agleaminranks wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Despite no intention for the Host Post to be anything but flavor, Ornette's creepy reply was meant to hint at him being Vompatti. Couldn't help it, I guess. :D
I had my suspicions but when I saw that line it confirmed it. Was actually real surprised you let that one through Rico. I got a good laugh out of it.
Yeah, gotta work on that, so far I got strongly influenced to craft flavour from the gameplay or to toy around with references and hints.

I doubt it contributed to anyone thinking Vom-goddamn-patti drew cop, though. Oh how I looked for my jaw back when I randomized the roles.

linki: Ha ha.

linki2: Thanks for playing. Glad you did. :beer:
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Hi, I was Hiromi. I'm pretty sure everyone figured it out. :P

Also, Hiromi's account has been cleaned out.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sig »

Nice notes.

== sig (Coltrane) reads all four Buble voters civilians [correct] and last voter to wagon him as mafia [correct]; also calls Bill mafia, which is also correct, but then sort of backtracks...?

Yeah I did backtrack.

After Sorsha flipped I was thinking we had four mafia members. With MM and Gleam as the third and fourth members.

Nice roleplaying Gleam, that actually made me hesitant to pursue you.

Also welcome Polo! Hope to play another game with you soon. :)

And I think I deleted the Pm's so I guess I cleared the account?
ImageImage
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Silverwolf »

Do the scum chat's get released in these games?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Hi, I was Hiromi. I'm pretty sure everyone figured it out. :P

Also, Hiromi's account has been cleaned out.
Did you pick up on Coleman being Voopy/cop and started mirroring him to smokescreen others or just for the lulz?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Silverwolf wrote:Do the scum chat's get released in these games?
Yeah, but MP will have to make it visible, when he has time.

Also, it was basically just me and Gleam, so not much there, lol.

Return to “Previous Heists”