SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Re: SAW [Week 25 - "Fetish Bones"]

Post by Ricochet »

Full list of submissions for SAWs 26-30:

G-Man - A Flock of Seagulls - A Flock of Seagulls / 1982 / Synth-pop, New Wave / 11 tracks / 41:06 / available on YouTube

insertnamehere - Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On / 2011 / Freak Folk / 10 Tracks / 39:28 / available on ?

MovingPictures07 - Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Leucocyte / 2008 / Avant-Garde Jazz / 10 tracks / 74:38 / available on YouTube

nutella - Woodkid - The Golden Age / 2013 / Orchestral pop / 14 tracks / 49:39 / available on YouTube

Ricochet - Phoenix - Mugur de fluier / 1974 / Progressive folk / 14 tracks / 45:56 / available on YouTube and Spotify

speedchuck - That Handsome Devil - A City Dressed in Dynamite / Alternative Rock / 12/15? tracks / (41:42) / available on YouTube

sprityo - Ratatat - Classics / 2006 / Alternative indie rock / 10 tracks / 39:01 / available on YouTube

triceratopzeuhl - Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt / 1969 / Country/folk / 10 tracks / 34:33 / available on YouTube and Spotify
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 pm I'll nominate Leucocyte by Esbjorn Svensson Trio.

RYM
Youtube
shiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeet

That's gonna take some real mental preparation. I don't recall speaking too much about it in the open. The only E.S.T. album I flexed my reviewing muscles for was 301 and it was mostly because I disapproved of it as a release, so I had something to rant about.
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by insertnamehere »

Spoiler: show

links to my album submission
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Mkay, time to vote.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

I finally got around to Toehider.

I imagine in the late 70s some music aficionados would balk at the seemingly oxymoronic label "progressive punk," but it exists, and What Kind of Creature Am I? fits.

For me to appreciate punk anything, the musicianship and composition has to win me over from the usually grating guitar tone. The band that springs to mind that does this the best was The Mars Volta (though I admittedly hated their sound the first few times I ever heard them- it wasn't until I just went ahead and bought a few albums and listened to everything in context that they became my favorite band of this subgenre).

The standout element of the opening track is the bass work- no question. Otherwise the track is a little too peppy for my taste. "Whatever Makes you Feel Superior" is certainly catchy enough, though the guitar solo sounds more like a technical exercise. "The Thing With Me" strikes me as more of a parody than anything.

By the middle of the album, I grow desperate for a respite. "Spoilt for Choice" offers that, but it feels so strange on this album. For one, it sounds like a band in the 80s with a hit single to please the record company. It sounds like a completely different band. Very pleasant listen all the same.

The highlights of the album are "Under the Future, We Bury the Past," which really caught my ear, and "Meet the Sloth," which is by far the most satisfying song offered. It is adventurous and so similar to a favorite epic piece of mine by a band called Ritual, "A Dangerous Journey."

It really should have ended there. The acoustic conclusion is magical.

I cannot understand the creative thinking that decided tacking "Geese Lycan" on the end was the best way to end the album. No thanks.

I would say the first half is good for those who are really into the style and get their kicks on technical showmanship, but I don't fall into either of those categories (so 2/5). The second half (until that final wtf), is brilliant, and would score either a 4 or 5 out of 5.

I'll be revisiting what I like for sure. 3/5
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 49

Post by triceratopzeuhl »

I forgot about my policy of not voting for albums I already know and voted for Leucocyte

Only heard Cantafabule from Phoenix but I liked it I actually have all 3 of theirs lol
Last edited by triceratopzeuhl on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[EMM winner placeholder] ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

More votes welcomed and required. 24 hours (give or take, I have school starting tomorrow morning).
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

Totally forgot to respond to this. I've been briefly looking over this thread so far and and am definitely interested in participating in this. Thanks [mention]MovingPictures07[/mention]!

I've voted for the only album in the list that I have heard. So I have some work cut out for me here.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Welcome, BWT!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Oh, what's this? What madness...

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ricochet wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:18 am
So in the background. :haha:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

:grin:
Ricochet

SAW [Week 26 - "Townes Van Zandt"]

Post by Ricochet »

Mkay, seeing as though sprityo's Ratatat made it into our next cycle and was a retroactive submission without a proper re-entry (until sprityo reminded me of it, that is), I think the fair thing to do is count them anyway in the order they were initially submitted. So we'll go Van Zandt - Ratatat - Phoenix - A Flock of Seagulls - E.S.T.

Thank you for the submissions that didn't make the cut, we look forward to very likely hearing them during the next cycle.

Week 26: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

Submitted by [mention]triceratopzeuhl[/mention]

Available on YouTube and Spotify
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: SAW [Week 26 - "Townes Van Zandt"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for being large and in charge, Rico. It's been a long time since I first listened to TVZ, so this'll be a good refresher.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

My bad for missing the poll guys! I was "in the zone" working all weekend and didn't really wander elsewhere on the interwebs.

Just watched your reviews, Rico, loving them still as always! I generally agreed with you on these two, though I like Songs from the Big Chair more than you do enough to give it a 3.5.

I also listened to Moor Mother earlier this morning and would give it a 2.5. It was more intriguing than enjoyable for me, though there were occasional moments I thought it could turn into something pretty cool (I also agree with Rico that there's some Shabazz Palaces influence in there and I LOVE them), but the rapping was too spoken wordy for me to get into a groove and the samples/music itself were often too dissonant. It was pretty tough to get through as well. Really neat stuff from an artistic perspective, and pretty unique despite moments where I thought I was listening to dalek + Death Grips collab in terms of the beats, but I don't think I'd ever revisit it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also listened to TVZ today. It's an album I'm familiar with, but don't spin very often. Probably heard it 5 times or so before today. It's nonetheless really dang good and a worthy exception to the "I don't like country unless it's bluegrass" outlook I generally can have. A strong 3.5 stars.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

unfortunately youtube quality here isn't great, still a short but sweet favourite of mine
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

guess I could say a little more than that

I think the reason this album (and to a lesser degree Our Mother The Mountain) stands out to me from TVZ's admittedly solid discography is it's simplicity - stripped down instrumentation, straightforward lyrics (mostly songs he wrote earlier on), at it's core back to the fundamentals of music - that is, storytelling. Some sad stories, some pretty stories about love. I couldn't tell you which is my favourite; maybe Columbine or None But The Rain, or I'll Be Here In The Morning, or Colorado Girl, or Fare Thee Well Miss Carousel...

Some of you might also recognize the song Lungs from season 1 of True Detective
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

Fetish Bones

Despite the pulsating noise on track 1 driving my tinnitus bonkers, I thought the lyrics were interesting. The next two tracks fell flat for me though, so it took me a while to get back into the album/art project Moor Mother created. I stand by what I said before- the album as a whole is more interesting on a lyrical content level than on a musical/compositional level.

In my mind, this is not an album one listens to for pleasure. Rather, it is one you listen to either as art or social commentary. I don't have a problem with either pursuit but that's not how I tend to approach audio recordings that can be described as music. For me, music is a distraction away from everything going on in the world, including the things Moor Mother preaches, growls, and shouts about.

As a person of almost entirely white, European ancestry, I don't like it when "white people" is used as an all-encompassing term to describe an antagonist. Being portrayed as some kind of enemy or oppressor isn't exactly going to invite me further in but I respect the artist's decision to make her art as approachable or personal as she sees fit. It's not a deal-breaker for me, nor does it lead me to put up an walls.

Some of the personal content on these tracks are thought-provoking and informative to Moor Mother's background. I did a little research and she is certainly genuine. She grew up in the projects and saw lots of horrible stuff growing up. That eliminates any cynicism on my part. I think I would like to encounter and engage in discussion people with her kind of background to help broaden my perspective. I don't necessarily agree with some of her worldview as stated in her personal art but discussion would clear up what is genuine opinion and what is emotional rage for the sake of art.

I liked the use of audio clips and some of the samples. Sometimes you can say more by letting others speak for you and that worked on a couple of tracks in a big way. The final two tracks really stood out to me the most. Track one his harsh but intriguing as well. Track 6 could have been something special but Moor Mother kind of wastes the final minute of that track after some potent build-up.

Overall, it's obviously not my thing but it was a unique experience that I don't regret. It may not match the focus and sharpness of Rage Against the Machine's massive militant poetry but I felt Moor Mother is a kindred spirit of sorts. This album made me miss Rage Against the Machine. I wish we had them around these days.

G-Man Scale: 2.93 out of 5
Rico Scale: 3 out of 5
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I've enjoyed this album quite a bit. There's a lot of country music that makes me roll my eyes but the pure stuff is always nice to hear. Some of the songs are great and powerful. While the simplistic acoustic style of Mariee Sioux (and lots of other folk music) felt like a novelty, this album didn't fade as hard for me. It's got good flow between great and good songs, which helps. Van Zandt has just the right amount of twang in his voice. He's not leaning on it as a country crutch nor is it too twangy to the point of distraction.

Good heartfelt music. This should rate pretty high on my scale.
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Eh, upon first listen I can't say as I feel particularly strongly about this album at all. It's fine but it doesn't really do much for me. It sounds pretty nice within the confines of its genre, but it's of a genre that I don't usually get much out of unless it has unique character and this doesn't really have that to me, it just sounds fairly standard/predictable. Maybe I'm missing something that I'll appreciate more on second listen but this album just didn't leave any impression on me.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

You might also be too young to appreciate some of the lyrics. I've found myself connecting more to a lot of music that I used to brush off in a similar manner now that I'm older and have lived through more things. Songs of experience are oftentimes lost on the inexperienced.
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics tbf. I'll focus on them next listen.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I know it's probably unusual, but even as a huge music nut I generally don't pay attention to lyrics much at all. That's why a language barrier usually doesn't phase me. I'd say like 90% of the time I give nearly all of my attention to the music and if I happen to passively pick up the lyrics, then great. The other 10% of the time the lyrics are particularly noteworthy and actually make my already positive or negative extant view of the album more pronounced.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Tune in further to that Townes Van Zandt, y'all, 'cause tomorrow at sun dawn we'll be changing the record and spin something else.

After 25 albums, a rank of my ratings - I don't focus on comparing them one bit, but from the looks of it, I'd say it turned out consistent, at least from my POV

1. Scott Get-on-my-Level Walker - Bish Bosch - ★★★★ (decent 8)
2. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play - ★★★★ (strong 7)
3. Vanessa Rossetto - Whole Stories - ★★★★ (strong 7)
4. Comus - First Utterance - ★★★★ (strong 7)
5. The Stooges - Fun House - ★★★1/2 (decent 7)
6. echolyn - echolyn - ★★★1/2 (light 7)
7. The Kinks - Arthur - ★★★1/2 (no official Rico rating because no official Rico review, but light 7-ish?)
8. Fishmans - Otokotachi no wakare - ★★★1/2 (strong 6, but could bump it to a light 7 tbh)
9. Chuck Berry - Chuck Berry Is On Top - ★★★1/2 (strong 6)
10. The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas - ★★★1/2 (strong 6)
11. Bobby McFerrin - Circlesongs - ★★★ (decent 6)
12. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - ★★★ (decent 6)
13. Mariee Sioux - Faces in the Rocks - ★★★ (decent 6)
14. Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun - ★★★ (light 6)
15. Crowded House - Woodface - ★★★ (light 6)
16. Corinne Bailey Rae - The Heart Speaks in Whispers - ★★★ (light 6)
17. Toehider - What Kind of Creature Am I? - ★★★ (light 6)
18. Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair - ★★★ (strong 5, maebe light 6 - I have Toehider ranked higher lul)
19. Beneath the Brine - The Family Crest - ★★★ (strong 5)
20. Moor Mother - Fetish Bones - ★★★ (decent 5)
21. Last Dinosaurs - In a Million Years - ★★★ (decent 5) [I honestly don't recall what this album sounded like]
22. Goat - World Music - ★★1/2 (light 5)
23. Michael Guy Bowman - Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido - ★★1/2 (light 5)
24. deadmau5 - >album title goes here - ★★ (4)
25. Pandora's Box - Original Sin - ಠ__ಠ
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Wow, nice! I need to compile mine as well.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

In all fairness, my chart show how strong of a "like" I hold towards albums I've been already acquainted with - McFerrin's and DCD's albums almost looking like an exception, as albums as I was so-so on - versus new stuff I've been forced had the pleasure to discover. Getting a grip on a new album within the span of a week is hard and borderline inconclusive. While I can't project that most of my ratings on works new to me will change dramatically over time, I know for a fact that it took me a long time to fully appreciate A Passion Play (though not apparently judging from my older ProgArchives review, I still can't believe that thing existed :haha: ) and that I would have been more lukewarm on Vanessa Rossetto, had I not had that "ambiental epiphany" about it beforehand.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:38 pm In all fairness, my chart show how strong of a "like" I hold towards albums I've been already acquainted with - McFerrin's and DCD's albums almost looking like an exception, as albums as I was so-so on - versus new stuff I've been forced had the pleasure to discover. Getting a grip on a new album within the span of a week is hard and borderline inconclusive. While I can't project that most of my ratings on works new to me will change dramatically over time, I know for a fact that it took me a long time to fully appreciate A Passion Play (though not apparently judging from my older ProgArchives review, I still can't believe that thing existed :haha: ) and that I would have been more lukewarm on Vanessa Rossetto, had I not had that "ambiental epiphany" about it beforehand.
I think that's entirely understandable. Since I've started rating albums now, I've found that it's rare for me to give an album a 4.0+ after just a listen or two unless it really just blows me away. Even a 3.5 for a brand new discovery is really solid.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Townes Van Zandt has been a very good listen. On a day of irritation and boredom, it was therapeutic to put him on. I hadn't listened to this album in a long time, but I do know I liked it before. I like it more now. I am upping an initial 3.5 to a 4.0.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Something G-Man said that I agree with is that it's a lot easier to appreciate country music when the twang is reasonable. A ton of pop country is rife with the most offensively fake twang nonsense, and it makes the music comical. TVZ sings like an honest human being, using a voice that is natural to him -- not one that is going to sell records to people who pride themselves in their pickup trucks.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm Something G-Man said that I agree with is that it's a lot easier to appreciate country music when the twang is reasonable. A ton of pop country is rife with the most offensively fake twang nonsense, and it makes the music comical. TVZ sings like an honest human being, using a voice that is natural to him -- not one that is going to sell records to people who pride themselves in their pickup trucks.
I agree 100%. I love the authenticity in this album.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ricochet

SAW [Week 27 - "Classics"]

Post by Ricochet »

Week 27: Ratatat - Classics

Submitted by [mention]sprityo[/mention]

Available on YouTube (you'll have to check for Spotify yourselves, I don't use it)
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SAW [Week 27 - "Classics"]

Post by sprityo »

It's on itunes as well

Sorry I've been gone recently but I'm super excited to share this album. It's entirely instrumental and is overall nice to listen to. The group Ratatat was formerly known as cherry for those seeking more than just their 4 Albums.

I can't wait to revisit and put my thoughts out about them (given I'm able to of course)
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It's on Spotify.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Townes Van Zandt

Country music gets a bad rap. It comes from "the South" and plenty of people who don't hail from the southeastern United States like to dump on that region by generalizing its residents as Confederate Flag-waving, inarticulate, Republican imbeciles. It's easy to dump on country music because there's a long tradition of conservative values in the songs and stars that come out of the genre.

If it weren't for country music, however, rock and roll would never have formed. Country has always been and still is a broad term. Seeing as country is one of the two big genres that don't normally appeal to me (rap being the other), my personal biases have formed only two classifications for country music: good country music and bad country music. Townes Van Zandt's eponymous album is good country music.

Everything falls into place for my ears. The arrangements are simple but they aren't sparse. This is not just guitar + lyrics tunes. The guitar work feels familiar and inviting. The backing instrumentation adds depth to the sound. The vocals, as I mentioned before, possess just the right amount of twang. It's not a facade. This is a man writing and singing songs that he knows how to write and play.

The opening number hit me hard. The notion of singing for the sake of the song opened my mind to consider all the ways I've fought for the sake of having a fight, been a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, and being an obnoxious whiner for the sake of being an obnoxious whiner. That gets magnified when you realize just how often you've done that to loved ones. The second track was, for me, the least interesting tune on the album but it was sill a good number. It just felt like the kind of song any country star could slap on an album. Track three, "Waiting Around To Die," brings back the heart. It's the kind of gritty country song that country music detractors forget or don't realize exist. That's Storytelling 101 right there.

Each of the remaining songs find a way to stand out in their own unique way. In some, it's the story being told. In others its the instrumentation or the structure. It's almost hard for me to believe that this album isn't a compilation album. At least two-thirds of these songs sound like they could be hits. My three favorites wound up being "For the Sake of the Song," "Waiting Around to Die," and "Fair Thee Well, Miss Carousel" but this is an album I wouldn't hesitate to listen to in full again. I might even buy it.

G-Man Scale: 4.13 out of 5
Rico Scale: 4 out of 5
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I've listened to Classics twice today but it's been relegated to background music for the most part. I like "Wildcat" for the animal sound effect. Overall, it's been a steady, pleasant listen. We'll see if anything stands out to me one way or the other when I can focus on it a little more intently.
My Banners:
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Ratatat is sounding pretty solid but I wish it had vocals or something to change up the tracks a bit
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Gave it another listen. A few tracks sound rooted in other bands/sounds. A couple of tracks don't trigger any memories in my mind, and I find that these tracks are the ones that don't do a whole lot beyond being a hip jam. It's pretty good all around but there's not much that's distinctive. We'll see what additional listens do for it.
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I should have some time to check out Classics today. Looking forward to it!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm I should have some time to check out Classics today. Looking forward to it!
Wow, great album! I was definitely impressed. It probably has its flaws, and I think I agree with trice that vocals might vary up the album a bit more which could elevate it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience myself. I wouldn't call anything about it transcendent or mindblowing either, but nonetheless it was a very solid outing.

I think "Wildcat" was my favorite song.

I'd give it a strong 3.5.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

I bummed out on an in depth thought over every song but I've listened enough times for me to give the album a strong 4. It's not something I can listen to everyday without getting tired, but when it comes on in a shuffle or over pandora I don't skip it. It's enjoyable and full of groovin beats, great guitar, and a drumkit bass that makes me want to drum along

Again, 4/5 stars
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Hey people (or rather people besides those who have posted thus far). I'm behind on reviewing this, but what did you think of this Ratatat album? Did you love it, did you hate it, what would you rate it? You're the best you're the best. Give it a try, 'cause it will go into the file cabinet tomorrow.
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Boomslang »

Oy glavin, thanks for the poke. I should look at this more often. Posting to remind myself.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I find Townes Van Zandt boring. I love country music. I grew up on it. Townes Van Zandt to me was a talentless, drunken, drug-addled mess who didn't write very good songs or execute them well.

"No more than a two" indeed. 2/5.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I got into TVZ a lot more on second listen actually. Solid. 3.5/5
Ratatat was enjoyable but super same-y throughout. I've known "Loud Pipes" for like ten years but never listened to them otherwise. Pretty fun album I guess, I really liked the first couple tracks but then it was all kinda the same after that. Uhh 3.5 also I guess. :shrug:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I hope to catch up with Rattatattattatattat soon.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

SAW [Week 28 - "Mugur de fluier"]

Post by Ricochet »

Week 28: Phoenix - Mugur de fluier

Submitted by Ricochet

Available on YouTube and Spotify?

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”