SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Re: SAW [Week 8 - "Arthur"]

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Looking forward to listening to this later today! I've only heard a little bit by The Kinks in the past (mostly just listening to the Village Green Preservation Society a handful of times), and I've never heard this album.

An update for Rico (and anyone else who cares): I revisited my ratings for all of these albums over the last few nights, and I have revised my ratings for Bisch Bosch (2.5) and Berry Is on Top (2.5), which fell just a bit because I'm mostly bored with both and otherwise the moments of enjoyment and displeasure cancel each other out just too much. All other ratings remain the same.
Chucky downgrade noted.

Bosch downgrade denied.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

After first listen, I thought Arthur was a mix of pretty damn good and just OK. "Victoria", "Australia", and "Shagri-La" are the clear highlights.

In the end I gave it a 3.0.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 79

Post by thellama73 »

For anyone who is interested in more Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies is my favorite of theirs.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 49

Post by triceratopzeuhl »

Muswell Hillbillies is great, so is Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One (either that or the self-titled 1964 album would be my favourite)
[EMM winner placeholder] ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

I've listened to the Arthur a few times now. I like it but don't love it. I understand what Llama said about it sounding very British. It reminds me of 1964/1965 Beatles at times, with the arrangements that is.

One weird thing that struck me is how much Franz Ferdinand emulated (either intentionally or accidentally) some of this sound on their first album (I don't have any of their others). I can totally hear their singer performing a bunch of these tracks. Weird.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

G-Man wrote:I understand what Llama said about it sounding very British. It reminds me of 1964/1965 Beatles at times, with the arrangements that is.
I read somewhere once an opinion that the reason the Kinks never broke big like the Beatles and Rolling Stones is that they were "too British" and I think there's some truth to that.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Dry Flood
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Dry Flood »

I've enjoyed Arthur for the most part. In limited exposure I think I like the former half of the album more than the latter. I appreciate the straight-forwardness of the music; no genre-bending gimmicks are called upon to add unnecessary flare. It's a 3.5 for me.
Golden
Marmot
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hackett wrote:I've enjoyed Arthur for the most part. In limited exposure I think I like the former half of the album more than the latter. I appreciate the straight-forwardness of the music; no genre-bending gimmicks are called upon to add unnecessary flare. It's a 3.5 for me.
That's exactly how I feel.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Hackett wrote:I've enjoyed Arthur for the most part. In limited exposure I think I like the former half of the album more than the latter. I appreciate the straight-forwardness of the music; no genre-bending gimmicks are called upon to add unnecessary flare. It's a 3.5 for me.
That's exactly how I feel.
:haha:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Bit behind this week -- only just now on first listen and it's 9pm on Friday :disappoint: But I'm about halfway through and I'm pretty thoroughly enjoying it so far, so I'll definitely listen a couple more times.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I'm running out of space for the ratings. :sigh:

I will most likely bail out of this week's review, since it's already Saturday and I barely have a paragraph written down, and prepare to resume normal schedule with the next one. This week just had me pinned, tis all; it's in no way a slight to Arthur, which, while not the kind of album to describe as "sensational" and grabbing, I appreciated for what it went for. If, say, Tommy is showy, this one is kinda more artistic. I would have spoken of it in a slightly more positive light than much of the previous couple of albums and would give it a 3.5 / light 7. I guess this small comment will have to do, I just don't see myself sitting down today (or even this weekend) to write and record myself.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

unacceptable :fist:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Agreed, I expect two reviews next week, Rico. :nicenod:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

:meany:
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 9 - "Whole Stories"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for the submission, Trice. It maintained a nice trend of sending us back and forth through time, which continues again with our next album.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 9: Vanessa Rossetto - Whole Stories

Submitted by A Person

Available on Bandcamp

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm so far behind.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

I thought up until now that this album was called "Whale Stories"

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I actually quite enjoyed Arthur. I think I give it a 3.5 (if I may be generous it's leaning upward to 3.75)

Looking forward to listening to this next one. Completely unfamiliar, should be fun.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My review for Arthur:

Concept albums aren't a guaranteed hit for me but this one was rather enjoyable. Some concept albums get too bogged down in telling the narrative component and fail to keep the music engaging. Others fall victim to pretension, assuming that whatever statement the artist is trying to make should be understood to be of high importance. Arthur is sort of the opposite. For me, the album is very listenable though I was left wondering if the tracks aren't in full narrative order.

Track 1 ("Victoria") opens the album with a familiar Beatles-esque mid-60s British sound that is nostalgic but also not imitative. There's some tongue-in-cheek going on that I like quite a bit. It shows that the band isn't trying to make a profound statement but merely have something to say. Track 2 ("Yes Sir, No Sir") is not quite as good as the opener but still amusing. There's enough irreverence going on between the lines the uphold the lighter tone and the singer's delivery adds a dash of what I interpreted to be sarcasm. This song could have easily been overdone and melodramatic but it wasn't. Track 3 ("Some Mother's Son") is darker but it does not get preachy like many of the anti-war songs that sprung up during the most recent Iraq War. It's still got that sarcasm, which adds bite to the dark tone of the song.

So, my three-track make-or-break system says this album starts very successfully. I can see those early three songs playing over a montage of scenes depicting events of suburbia, enlistment, and war. Maybe that's what the band was going for, since the project started as the companion to a TV production that fizzled out.

I was initially not super keen about this album but it grew on me quite a bit with each successive listen. I was indifferent to two tracks though. "Drivin'" and "Young an Innocent Days" felt almost like filler and just didn't do it for me. It was hard in the end to pick three top tracks. "Australia" is the clear standout. I still can't tell if it's a straight-forward tune from the idealists mindset of someone looking for opportunity or if it's a sarcastic and condescending parody from the mindset of an old codger who thinks the kids should stay put in jolly old England. "Victoria" is a strong opener and it's leaner than some of the other stand-out songs. I appreciate that. I was drawn to "Some Mother's Son" for some reason. Perhaps it's because I took a semester-long course on the Vietnam War once and the battlefield lyrics resonate with me.

"Shangri-La" and "Arthur" receive honorable mentions. The former is a really good example of songwriting because it builds up effectively. The latter is a nice little closer that summarizes everything nicely while also being very catchy.

I look forward to listening to more of The Kinks when I reach them on my Rock and Roll Hall of Fame project. This may not be the best way to introduce someone to their work, so it helps that I was familiar with them beforehand. Otherwise, it might run the risk of sounding too much like The Beatles, given the British sound the band went for here. Youngins these days have a tendency to switch off their interest if something sounds too old to be "cool," so Arthur is certainly something that needs a few listens to warm up to.

G-Man Scale: 4.0625 out of 5 (A-)
Rico Scale: 4 out of 5

My ratings so far:
A
Chuck Berry is on Top- Chuck Berry

A-
World Music- Goat
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown- The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)- The Kinks

B+
Woodface- Crowded House

B
Beneath the Brine- The Family Crest

B-
98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare- Fishmans

C+
Bish Bosch- Scott Walker
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I've been busy binging David Bowie's discography chronologically as I've been working my ass off the last couple of days, but I should be putting in a first listen of this sometime soon (probably tomorrow). Looking forward to it as well! I'm pleased that so many albums nominated so far have been ones I've never heard before. :beer:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I've been busy binging David Bowie's discography chronologically as I've been working my ass off the last couple of days, but I should be putting in a first listen of this sometime soon (probably tomorrow). Looking forward to it as well! I'm pleased that so many albums nominated so far have been ones I've never heard before. :beer:
Lodger is very underrated.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

As you can see, I've made modifications, but do please verify that I haven't changed any of your ratings in the process of flipping them over.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm almost through my first spin of Whole Stories. I like the part with the noises.
Don't mind me, I have barely dabbled in this genre. I don't actively dislike it, and nor does it do anything for me. I laughed a bit when the lady was trying to keep people in an orderly line. 2.5 first impression.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Quin »

first impression:

huh
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Yeah, after one listen of Whole Stories, I can tell that this genre of music is not for me. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that it's not for me.
My Banners:
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

I can appreciate what it's trying to do, but I can't get into it. I don't either strongly like or dislike it, it's just really...'uh'. Giving it 2 stars.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote:Image

As you can see, I've made modifications, but do please verify that I haven't changed any of your ratings in the process of flipping them over.
My rankings out of what I've been able to listen to:

Beneath the Brine: 2.5/5
Fishmans: 4/5
World Music: 3.5/5
Bish Bosch: 5/5
Woodface: 2/5
Arthur: 4/5
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

For those I've listened to so far:

Chuck Berry is on Top - 3/5
Woodface - 3.5/5
Arthur - 2.5/5
Whole Stories - 2/5
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Rico I said 3.5 for Arthur but was apparently ignored :disappoint:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

Arthur by The Kinks is okay stuff, decidedly British of the time, but this particular album I find fits right in that unfortunate wedge between accessible and quirky, and that wedge is "forgettable." I don't care for the vocals and never have. They're awfully nasally and the harmonies tend to be discordant.

I do appreciate the historical theatrics (histrionics? :shifty: ), and I think the lead guitar has some swell moments.

But this is a 2/5 for me. Decent music, but there's so much more music in this same style I like better.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm almost through my first spin of Whole Stories. I like the part with the noises.
Don't mind me, I have barely dabbled in this genre. I don't actively dislike it, and nor does it do anything for me. I laughed a bit when the lady was trying to keep people in an orderly line. 2.5 first impression.
Yeaaaah this is... well.... different. Thoughts below (having gone into this with no "spoilers"/not even knowing what genre this would be, I'd like to give everyone else a chance to do so)
I like to think I'm hip and cool with experimental stuff but this might be too experimental for me. I can kind of enjoy the more ambient/less chaotic parts, but it's still not... I don't want to say it's not music because I like to think I have a very broad definition of "music" (and "art"), but it's not something I'd normally listen to for entertainment. It's interesting though, and maybe it has some kind of pretentious message about urbanity or something :shrug: it almost feels like an anthropological study of some kind, especially in the self-referential bits where we hear her actually talk to people on the street about what she's doing recording stuff. Anyway, not something I'd normally listen to, but that's the whole point of this thread -- definitely an interesting [piece/project/thing/insert vague noun here] to be exposed to.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I wonder how I'll compare this to Bish Bosch. I just need to find time to catch up!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

It's not even in the same ballpark as Bish Bosch, lol.

Tbh I posted a little prematurely, and I think I'm enjoying the second half a bit more than the first.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

nutella wrote:It's not even in the same ballpark as Bish Bosch, lol.
I can tell that just from the comments.

Given that Bish Bosch is really not my kind of experimental music, maybe this will be.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

Sometimes experimental music isn't music. It's just experimental. To my mind, experimentation is best when you find something cool and refine it.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I've been busy binging David Bowie's discography chronologically as I've been working my ass off the last couple of days, but I should be putting in a first listen of this sometime soon (probably tomorrow). Looking forward to it as well! I'm pleased that so many albums nominated so far have been ones I've never heard before. :beer:
Lodger is very underrated.
Isn't it though?

I just finished. Here's my Bowie rankings:
1) Low
2) Station to Station
3) Blackstar (RIP)
4) Hunky Dory
5) Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
6) The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
7) "Heroes"
8) Aladdin Sane
9) Lodger
10) The Next Day
11) Diamond Dogs
12) Earthling
13) Heathen
14) 1.Outside
15) The Man Who Sold the World
16) Let's Dance
17) Young Americans
18) 'Hours...'
19) David Bowie (1969)
20) Reality
21) Black Tie White Noise
22) Tonight
23) Pin Ups
24) David Bowie (1967)
25) Never Let Me Down
I'm tired though, so this album will be first thing tomorrow morning.

Also, Rico, I gave Arthur a 3.0 FYI.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:Sometimes experimental music isn't music. It's just experimental. To my mind, experimentation is best when you find something cool and refine it.
I'd like to hear an example of experimental music that you consider to be either cool, refined, music, any or all of these.
MovingPictures07 wrote:
1) Low
2) Station to Station
3) Blackstar (RIP)
4) Hunky Dory
7) "Heroes"
8) Aladdin Sane
9) Lodger
10) The Next Day
11) Diamond Dogs
12) Earthling
13) Heathen
14) 1.Outside
16) Let's Dance
17) Young Americans
18) 'Hours...'
19) David Bowie (1969)
20) Reality
22) Tonight
23) Pin Ups
24) David Bowie (1967)
25) Never Let Me Down
What's different for you about Blackstar so that it made the top 3, as opposed to, say, how you viewed Bish Bosch?

Aside question, if, let's say, Walker would have made his album in a moribund state and then pass away sometime after its release, would your thoughts on the album differ in any way now?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm giving Whole Stories a 2.5. It was interesting I suppose, but it's not particularly engaging and does toe the line between music and sound/noise perhaps too much for me. I do intend to listen to it again at least once before the week is up though.

Ricochet wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Sometimes experimental music isn't music. It's just experimental. To my mind, experimentation is best when you find something cool and refine it.
I'd like to hear an example of experimental music that you consider to be either cool, refined, music, any or all of these.
MovingPictures07 wrote:
1) Low
2) Station to Station
3) Blackstar (RIP)
4) Hunky Dory
7) "Heroes"
8) Aladdin Sane
9) Lodger
10) The Next Day
11) Diamond Dogs
12) Earthling
13) Heathen
14) 1.Outside
16) Let's Dance
17) Young Americans
18) 'Hours...'
19) David Bowie (1969)
20) Reality
22) Tonight
23) Pin Ups
24) David Bowie (1967)
25) Never Let Me Down
What's different for you about Blackstar so that it made the top 3, as opposed to, say, how you viewed Bish Bosch?

Aside question, if, let's say, Walker would have made his album in a moribund state and then pass away sometime after its release, would your thoughts on the album differ in any way now?
A fair question, given Bowie was clearly influenced by Walker in his final few albums, but especially Blackstar.
Nonetheless, I guess I'd say the answer is pretty simple: the music of Blackstar is still unmistakably Bowie, an artist with whom I've had a special musicrelationship, and from the very first note and lyrics of Blackstar, I'm absolutely emotionally connected every time.

Bish Bosch I don't feel that way at all. I don't emotionally connect with the album even slightly throughout the entire duration. So the real problem I have listening to Bish Bosch is that it feels like I'm an outsider watching an art exhibit, thinking "this is interesting", but in the end I just can't connect with it at all; Blackstar I feel I'm right in there alongside Bowie.

Regarding the music specifically, there are clear differences in both albums despite the fact that both musicians influenced each other over the years (I'd argue Bowie influenced Walker as well, even if the converse is more evident and documented). Every song on Blackstar is engaging and intriguing; IMO it achieves a near perfect balance of emotional expression, songwriting, and experimentation whereas Bish Bosch is too minimalistic and gets too lost in its own experimentation and aesthetic for me to actively enjoy it for more than occasional 30-second spurts. I can appreciate some very experimental music, as some of you know, but Bish Bosch does not fit that category. It really just bores me musically for most of its duration, and when it does get me to feel anything it's either "that's kinda neat!" or "that's slightly unpleasant". It also way too long for its own good (Blackstar is more than 30 minutes shorter).

Regarding the lyrics specifically, lyrics can be important to me, but I think I approach music differently than most of you all in that, as part of the overall package, lyrics by default just aren't that important to me personally. I focus nearly all of my attention on the music itself; I don't even really pay attention to lyrics the first time I listen to any album unless they go out of their way to impress me positively or negatively. Sometimes I don't pay attention to them upon multiple listens. However, Blackstar is one of the albums where the lyrics did just that; Bowie's struggle with his own mortality is evident, and it has incremental meaning to me as someone who has connected with his music and persona over the years. Even though "Girl Loves Me" is very Scott Walker-ish, Blackstar's lyrics don't go too far into obtuse ramblings that fail to make any connection with me. It's an incredibly intimate record. I guess one could say Bish Bosch is an intimate record as well, but it's one I just don't personally feel that way with. Who knows, maybe 10 years down the line I'll listen to it again and change my mind.

To answer your second question, it's intriguing to speculate but in the end I think it's impossible to say anything remotely firm because Blackstar was clearly recorded with particular intentions from Bowie, whereas Bish Bosch doesn't have the same circumstances. I guess I might try to look at it a bit differently, but in the end Bowie's death just enhances my experience of Blackstar a bit because it gives me that connection with the lyrics that I don't have with most records. Even without that connection though, I still much prefer the musical content of Blackstar to that of Bish Bosch.
Spoilered because I don't want to derail the thread and my answer is directed at Rico specifically, but folks can read my ramblings if they wish.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Rico, I gave Arthur Brown a 4 out of 5, not a 4.5. Still mulling over Whole Stories.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Okay, question for the A Person/anyone who understands this genre of music well and knows more about what goes into this than I do:

Is Vanessa Rossetto layering different sounds incidental together or is she actually adding incidental music here and there throughout the field recordings? I can't find much of anything online about the artist or her methodology. That extra layer of context may or may not make a difference.
My Banners:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I just started listening to this, but I love field recordings, so I am already impressed. I'll post a more thorough analysis when I finish.

To answer G-Man's question, I don't know, but it sounds to me like it's entirely field recordings edited together and layered.

triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

It's like GYBE but the actual music never starts

If I wanted to listen to garbage truck noises I would just open my window

edit: no offense I couldn't resist making a joke
Last edited by triceratopzeuhl on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

triceratopzeuhl wrote:It's like GYBE but the actual music never starts

If I wanted to listen to garbage truck noises I would just open my window
:haha:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Well, in AP's defense, I really liked it. I am fascinated by field recordings and love ordinary sounds recontextualized. I listen to a lot of this kind of stuff, and I think this is a fine example of it. I particularly like when quasi-musical sounds of the world (like the arcade noises near the end) are folded in to more organic sounds.

4 out of five stars.

And to finish out my reviews for Rico, Arthur gets a 5, Chuck Berry gets a 3 and Crowded House gets 2.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Whole Stories

I'll be frank right off the bat. I don't consider this to be music. Perhaps it's because I don't know enough about field recordings to identify the musical merits of them. Perhaps it's because I don't know enough about music to identify meter and form in non-traditional forms. Either way, I can only speak to what I know and what I know tells me that this is not music. Rather, it is auditory art that, at times, approaches points where it contains musical qualities. The sarcastic jerk in me thinks this is the kind of thing I would hear a glowing 10-minute segment for on NPR, leaving me to wonder what kind of strange people donate to NPR. The small percentage of me that digs weird art, however, identifies that there is a lot of effort in what Vanessa Rossetto did here. Editing and layering field recordings may seem more like a hobby than anything else to me but hobbies are oftentimes passion projects, so who am I to judge.

I wasn't crazy about the fading out to dead air only to be blasted by loud white noise every so often. If you're going to fade to silence, then I say it's time for a track break. I'm also torn on the artist's own voice appearing on the end product. Does this reveal her insecurity as an artist that she includes her own explanation of her craft? In the first track, she explains to a passerby what she's doing. The sarcastic jerk in me also can't help but wonder if Rossetto naming the album Whole Stories that includes her stating that "people need to hear whole stories" reveals a little vanity. Did she subconsciously put a subliminal message in her own project, as if she is trying to suggest to a listener that they should share this recording with others? These are all things I thought of after the fact though, so they didn't impact my thought processes during my listens.

During my listens, I grew a little weary because some of the droning, swirling, and higher-end noises threatened to mess with me. I have tinnitus- a constant ringing/high-frequency sound in the ear that can range anywhere from slightly bothersome to debilitating. I have it in both ears and it is rather mild. Some sounds, however, seem to aggravate it, causing sudden explosions of piercing ringing that drowns everything out (literally, like a bomb went off and all other sound drops out and slowly fades back in). Other times, certain frequencies start to mess with my equilibrium. At different times during this album, I felt like I was on the verge of one or the other of these maladies. It wasn't enough to make me actively dislike the album but it gave me pause before each successive listen.

Anyway, the first track seemed directionless to me. Some interesting sounds but I couldn't get a sense of any sort of intended journey. The second track was more interesting, though I was still largely indifferent. I liked the spoken portions, the stories that were told, whether they were trivial or not. The casino noises added that approaching-music quality. I can't remember which track it was but there was a sound that reminded me of The Dark Knight soundtrack, when the Joker was talking and building up to a climax. That sense of slow but haunting escalation left me longing for a sense of direction in Rossetto's album. It felt like a wasted opportunity.

Overall, this sounds like the kind of stuff that plays in arty rock music as the band slowly brings instrumentation in. It's all background noise. I can see how some people are fascinated by such background noise and wish to make it the star of the show. I didn't feel like it was done well enough for my tastes here. Perhaps if Whole Stories actually told a whole story or two, it would get a better reaction from me. It rates on the low side for me because I don't see this as music. Even as art, it doesn't engage me enough. It's an intriguing concept and could be potentially riveting, as I actually enjoy people-watching, but nothing grabbed a hold of me at all. Each time I finished the album I felt restless and needed to listen to something raucous to get my groove back.

G-Man Scale: 2.19 out of 5 (C)
Rico Scale: 2 out of 5
My Banners:
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

On the plus side, between this and Bisch Bosch I feel like I can nominate literally any album I want next round
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

The debate over what "is music" is largely academic. For me, any sound presented for the listener's enjoyment can qualify as music, but what we call it doesn't matter much. I like this kind of stuff, because I just love, and am fascinated by, sound. I love the sound of guitars, but I love the sound of non-musical elements in the environment just as much, and I enjoy listening to it placed in unusual contexts.

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I have no issue calling it music. I don't think melody is a requirement by definition. I agree though that it really doesn't matter -- the intent is artistic either way.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”