SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Re: SAW [Week 22 - "First Utterance"]

Post by G-Man »

The Comus album is definitely different. I hear the folk and the prog but I also hear something at times that I want to call psychedelic. Does that make sense?

Also, the length and number of tracks on the YouTube video is different from the information listed in the OP for this album. Is there an extra song on this video a la a special edition?
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:08 pm The Comus album is definitely different. I hear the folk and the prog but I also hear something at times that I want to call psychedelic. Does that make sense?

Also, the length and number of tracks on the YouTube video is different from the information listed in the OP for this album. Is there an extra song on this video a la a special edition?
I'd stamp it overall as weird (or wyrd) prog folk, but all those tags are fair.

Haven't checked the YT link, I have a 7-song album in my collection.

Kinda curious what constitutes "prog done right" to Jay in regards to Drip Drip, because to me it's rather "prog thrown in acid".
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

To be honest I am not 100% certain that was the song, because it's difficult to tell them apart in a combined YouTube video and different versions of the release have different track lengths. It could have been the very end of the second track instead. I'll listen again tonight and see if I can figure it out.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Quin »

I'm gonna try and get back into this when I get home tonight :beer:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:21 pm I'm gonna try and get back into this when I get home tonight :beer:
Good call, Johnny Quinn. :srsnod:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 29

Post by A Person »

Comus is an old favorite, so I don't really wanna get into rating it, but I will say it was the standard by which I measured all other acid folk. Very few bands compared, despite my long searches through the internet (well, mostly Lizzy's searches to be fair). I am always so much more appreciative of folk rock/prog that has more folk than rock. I will give a shout out though to Lindsay Cooper and her participation in the band, who was the bassoonist on the many albums featured in MP's avy.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

By now y'all probably know how I feel about fuckin' dank string bits. 5/5.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey folks! Sorry for my absence, looking forward to checking out Bowman and re-listening to Comus this weekend. :D
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

It seems I reviewed this album back in the day, on PA. Ten years ago, in fact, almost to the day. I have no recollection of ever doing this. :suspish:

I'll go for a fresh, modern day review of it as well, uninfluenced by what I scribbled in the past, but here's the PA write-up, I suppose. Be forewarned, though, that it's written in 17-year old Rico English, which used to give the (false) impression that I was on opioids - then again, from a quick glance, this seems to have been a much milder case that the majority of mine.

[mention]Epignosis[/mention], shall I transfer your two stars for it onto the chart or did you change your impression in recent decade? :p
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I listened to it again today and couldn't even find the moment that most appealed to me before. I am doing other things at the same time though. Anyway it was still good tunage.

#expertanalysis

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

My review hasn't changed much. The original is here.
Laden with acoustic instruments and a hectic, almost chaotic nature almost unheard of in progressive folk circles, Comus is an entirely different beast. Wild, tribal-like rhythms with strange crying out can make this an almost uncomfortable listen. The female vocals are strikingly gorgeous, and a much needed contrast to the unbridled male lead singer. There are several parts to the album that have a weird appeal, but it isn't enough to keep me coming back to this creepy one.

"Diana" Discordant violin and screeching voices make up the bulk of this bizarre first song. There is a hand drum interlude and other odd musical fare. In the end, the title is repeated in a low growl.

"The Herald" Take the eerie whistling noise of Genesis's "The Waiting Room" and add gentle acoustic guitar, and that's the beginning of this track. After almost four minutes, a brief silence ensues, and more pleasing guitar returns. The violin is far more pleasant here than on the first song, as is the instrumentation in general. After another four minutes, there is another silence, and an airy, almost desolate sound rises from the nothingness. A lovely feminine voice carries on over it with other singers, like a choir of spirits in the ether.

"Drip Drip" Dobro and an acoustic guitar give this an old-fashioned swamp blues feel at first. The music is far harsher than the calm sounds of the previous song. The male vocalist is astringent with his singing over hand percussion, incessant violin, guitar, and hypnotic rhythms. The mesmerizing dance degenerates eventually, and becomes something even more unspeakable. The sound is akin to some distant tribe attempting to conjure their gods. The bass riff reminds me very much of "The Talking Drum" from King Crimson. The third part of the song begins abruptly, with gruesome vocals that are almost madness-inducing.

"Song to Comus" A repetitive bass riff, punctuated by a rhythmic striking of guitar and echoing vocals begins this bizarre track. A woodwind instrument makes an appearance from time to time, and the repetitive violin is actually a nice touch. "The Bite" Eccentric vocals and wild instrumentation make up this shorter track. The woman voices long notes in the background while, for once, the man is restrained a bit. The acoustic bass is very audible on this, and sets a good riff for the other instrumentalists to work over. The lyrics, however, are dark, describing the execution of a Christian by hanging.

"Bitten" The one short piece on the album is an avant-garde bunch of quirky noises that maintain the dark tenor of the album. A lone violin peeks through.

"The Prisoner" The conclusion of the album involves odd acoustic guitar bends and rapidly plucked chords before becoming something far more coherent than anything else present on this record. The soft, muffled vocals and lighter instrumentation make this sound like a classic acoustic rock song of the 1960s. The final part of the song, however, is one last bite from the monster of frenzy, full of tribal rhythms and peculiar voices.
If anything, I'd award "The Herald" another point. That is something I could listen to on a regular basis.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

By the way, my earlier mention of "prog rock done right" was meant to be a self-depreciating jab, but I realized it sounded like I was having a go at 3J's opinion, which wasn't my intention. Being funny on the Internet is hard. :p
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Epi did you ever get to Toehider? I really wanted to hear your impression on it
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:52 pm Epi did you ever get to Toehider? I really wanted to hear your impression on it
I have not, but I aim to directly.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:24 pm By the way, my earlier mention of "prog rock done right" was meant to be a self-depreciating jab, but I realized it sounded like I was having a go at 3J's opinion, which wasn't my intention. Being funny on the Internet is hard. :p
It's fine either way. I don't figure you and I would be in agreement about much in the realm of prog. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That's a relief. All day while I was at work (yeah, I worked today) I was afraid my joke fell flat and that I came across as rude. I don't like when that happens.

I have an image to maintain.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 23 - "Faces in the Rocks"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 23: Mariee Sioux - Faces in the Rocks
Submitted by JaggedJimmyJay
Available on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Spotify

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

A little about my submission this week:

Faces in the Rocks is not an album I would call massively important to me, or influential upon my listening habits, or even one I have revisited that frequently. It is just a simple, therapeutic folk album from a woman with a very appealing voice and sometimes that's all I need. As you may have guessed from her name, the music is heavily influenced by Native American art -- I'd call it a secondary component of the sound rather than the primary appeal. It's something a little different while also being accessible and pleasing (at least to me).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

First Utterance

This was a weird album that was very broad musically. While I'm okay with a certain amount of creepiness inherent to a song, the first track, "Diana," seemed to exceed my creepy quotient. It was the song I was most torn over. I marked it as pleasant instead of a solid good. Track 2 was too long for my taste but it was pretty music. It's almost like two musical ideas put together. Pretty but not gripping or attention-getting. Track 3 is really where the album picked up for me. "Drip Drip" is probably overlong but it pays off for its indulgence. It builds well and I could follow the narrative a little better than other minstrely tunes I've listened to around these parts.

So, had I one with my three-track gut check, I'd have been in a bit of a pickle. The first two tracks didn't cut it for me but the third track would keep me invested to see what comes next. Luckily, tracks 4 and 5 are also very good. I don't know why but "Song To Comus" evoked a Tenacious D vibe for me. It's a little bit cheesy, a little bit over-serious, and a little bit awesome. I'd love to hear the D perform a cover of this one. There seemed to be a full-cycle narrative on the second half of the album that I could follow for the most part.

I don't feel that track 6, "Bitten," works on its own outside of the narrative of the preceding tracks. The closing track didn't grab me either, so this album peaked in the middle, a trajectory I found perplexing. I like albums to start strong and end strong. First Utterance starts semi-strong and ends semi-soft.

I you couldn't guess, I would take "Drip Drip," "Song To Comus," and "The Bite" with me. The rest are just either too pretty or weird for me to throw another listen at. Comus strikes me as a band that got signed because they drew crowds at concert festivals. I see little to no mass-market appeal from their genre or style but that's not to say they didn't do a good job; they're just not for the majority of music fans.

I liked the acoustic instrumentation. As my record collection is largely plugged-in, it's nice to hear something eclectically acoustic from time to time. I've no desire to talk them up or down should they come up in conversation anywhere else. I this album should ever come up, I think the best and worst I can say for it is that I found it interesting.

G-Man Scale: 3.39 out of 5
Rico Scale: 3.5 out of 5
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Woo! Caught up today. Here are my thoughts on the past two albums as well as this week's.

Mobius Trip - 3.0
First Utterance - 3.5
Faces in the Rocks - 2.5

Bowman was thoroughly pleasant, although a bit rough around the edges. I echo others who said the vocals weren't so great. My enjoyment dipped a bit in the second half of the album as the songwriting got a bit weaker and samey for my taste, but it still was enjoyable overall. I love me some solid synthpop though and this album definitely had its awesome moments. I also was a bit surprised by the instrumental/ambient pieces which were quite enjoyable as well. Overall a good album for sure.

Comus is an old acquaintance of mine as well. I have a weird relationship with folky stuff; it tends to be a more hit or miss area for me (like blues). That said, this one is an incredibly enjoyable listen. Despite knowing this album for a long time and always enjoying it, it never has made it to my favorites, and I think that's just because of my pickiness re: folk and its inconsistency. If all the songs were to the level of "Drip Drip", it'd be a 4.0+ star album for sure. Such an amazing song. I'd say the second half of this album is worse than the first too, but it's strong all throughout. There's a reason this one's so well acclaimed.

As for Mariee Sioux, sad to report that this one did very little for me. I was pretty bored from about two minutes into the first track through the rest of the album. I wouldn't say any of it was even remotely unlikable though, just inoffensive. Maybe I'll give it another try later in the week and see if it elicits some other reaction from me.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

First listen of Faces in the Rocks was a bit of a struggle. I put it on while balancing my checkbook. Perhaps the tedious work of personal finances made the music feel tedious. Maybe it was the fact that some of these songs are really long without doing much structurally. Maybe it was some kind of subconscious Eurocentric hatefulness that made me slightly cynical of the artist after hearing countless Native American themes and references (I guess I have a limit to how many references to buffalo and mama bears I can take in at one time). Maybe it was a combination of all three. Either way, by about the halfway point, I was looking forward to it being over.

It's pretty music, but it wasn't engaging me enough while I fiddled with numbers. I'll give it another spin tomorrow.
My Banners:
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Listening to Faces in the Rocks right now. I'll give more elaborate thoughts later tonight, but right now I've gotta say this has gotta be some of the most relaxing shit I've ever heard.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

I thought I was in the perfect state of mind when I started Faces in the Rocks. I was tired, in a good enough mood and just wanted some downtime. I wanted to throw out my typical philosophy of 'let whatever play alongside whatever I'm doing at the time and judge it as background noise'. Here's a track-by-track evaluation.

The first two albums were very good. The instruments meshed together well and was overall very relaxing. The lyrics didn't do much for me though (though they weren't something I made an effort to focus on). That said, the singer's voice was such a good match for the vibe of the thing that it'd be a waste to exclude it. This is a recurring opinion through pretty much all of the tracks. If I were so inclined, I'd listen to these whenever I was feeling particularly stressed.

Friendboats and Wild Eyes weren't as interesting. Previously, I had the impression that the vocals were being treated as more of an accompaniment to the instrumentals, though in these tracks the vocals were more obtrusive. Wild Eyes was particularly dull, 9 minutes long and it never really seemed to draw me in in the same way the previous tracks did. It's the big exception to my prior thoughts that the vocals were a necessary part of the track.

Bravitzlana Rubakalva wasn't bad. Better than the previous two tracks, but not as good as the two before it. I made more of an effort to focus on the lyrics this time; it was cute. Gonna try keep it up in the next few tracks.

I can't really put my finger on exactly how I felt about Two Tongues. It brought a lot of what I disliked about previous tracks, like obtrusive vocals and a lack of structure, but it had a certain charm to it. It came closest to eliciting some description of an emotional reaction from me.

Bundles came closer to the first two tracks, but it was a lot faster paced which I consider a negative. I don't think these tracks have business being fast paced. It was another long one too, without much in the way of evolution. I started to get a bit bored with the album here.

Flowers and Blood was a thing. Yeah. I was in Discord as it played so it didn't get the same attention as the rest. General opinion: it was nice.

---

I'm a fan of the genre. There wasn't a track that I disliked, though there were only a few that I really, really liked. There might be better albums out there in this genre, but this one does it justice, methinks.

ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Just caught up on the last three Rico reviews too. Keep them up, man, they're awesome as always!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Quin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 am 3.75
>actually listens to something in eons
>gives a rating I've no idea how to convert in a chart that works with stars and half of stars

:blobglare:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I don't recall the previous two tables having needed a recent update, so I didn't bother with re-uploading them this time.

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin has opened the gates to 3/4 star ratings on the Rico scale.

I'd like to rate Faces in the Rocks at ★★★7/8

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I already spend way too much brain power rating things. I know I would love to dig deeper than by 0.5, but I don't even want to tempt myself with that rabbit hole.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 pm Quin has opened the gates to 3/4 star ratings on the Rico scale.

I'd like to rate Faces in the Rocks at ★★★7/8

:haha:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

To be honest I'd be fine with just integers. Ratings are mostly b/s.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

My serious FitR rating is 4 big ones.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My second listen was considerably better than the first. Rather than looking forward to its conclusion, by track six, the novelty of the soft, simple sound had faded for me. As my exposure to folk music has been very limited, I do consider it something of a novelty.

Mariee Sioux's voice reminds me of Delores O'Riordan at times, especially when it's layered for harmony. That's a good thing. The lyrics do become a bit too emphasized in the second half of the album, so I'm with Quin on that front.
My Banners:
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 49

Post by triceratopzeuhl »

I'm back now but not all caught up

Always liked Comus and I've listened to this album countless times - 4.5/5
Mariee Sioux - great voice, pretty album, 4/5. Bundles and Buried In Teeth are my fave tracks.
[EMM winner placeholder] ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I just noticed that Mariee Sioux's voice in "Wizard Flurry Home" sounds a lot like Let England Shake era PJ Harvey.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

When I was a teenager, I had a thing for Native American music. I didn't like how it was packaged and promoted as "cultural kitsch," if that makes any sense.

Faces in the Rocks isn't what I would call Native American music though. It's Native American-inspired folk music.

What caught my ear were the tempo and rhythmic changes throughout. Just when you've got the pace, it shifts in a brilliant, unexpected way.

The vocal harmonies are ethereal. She has a delivery like Jewel and Grace Slick.

I initially thought the sixth track was a bit silly, but those lyrics are haunting in a way that makes the haunting beautiful. It is my favorite track alongside "Buried in Teeth."

If I could add something, it would be a tad more instrumentation and direction. I felt like I was listening to "Dust in the Wind" on repeat. But eight versions of "Dust in the Wind" like this is all right by me.

4/5

Love this.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Almost done with a first half-attentive listen. Lovely, beautiful, I'll have to listen more to get a rating but it'll be a high one.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'll have no time to move us forward tomorrow, so I'd appreciate if anyone could take the reigns. Thanks to all gave Mariee Sioux a listen.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 24 - "Songs From the Big Chair"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

*crickets*

Week 24: Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Submitted by Epignosis
Available on YouTube and Spotify

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I'm going with 4.5 for Faces in the Rocks. I love it.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Tears for Fears are decent but a little lighter than I like my new wave. One of the most 80s sounding albums ever with all that reverb.

3*, Head Over Heels is the best track.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido - the best parts are the ambient instrumental spacy tracks like the opener, closer & parts of Lies With The Sea. I didn't like the vocals or the electro drums and the whole thing is produced really loud and trebly.

2*
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

sTOOGES - never been much of a punk rocker but this was a fun listen, it's almost got this chill/low energy vibe to it that most punk doesn't. Sometimes can't understand what Iggy is singing but it fits with the songs. Loose and Dirt are my favourite tracks. strong 3*
Last edited by triceratopzeuhl on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Toehider - it's the kind of prog metal I don't like at all (which is virtually all prog metal ;)), technically impressive but does nothing for me, don't enjoy the compositions or singing. 1.5*
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Circlesongs link didn't work for me, still need more listens on the others I've missed
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

also I swear I posted about Mountain Goats already but don't see anything from me so:

2.5*, I like the instrumentation, ending up not minding the singer's half-talking voice as much as I thought I would, didn't like the "lol I'm so random" lyrics though.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm sorry I haven't been more active here myself!

Songs from the Big Chair is a solid synthpop/new wave album. I'd give it a 3.5.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I finished my listens of Marie Sioux, I just never put my thoughts together. I'll take care of that this weekend. It didn't make a big impact on me.

As for Tears for Fears, I was pleasantly surprised. While their sound is completely dated (seriously, there is no chance anyone could misplace the decade any of those songs come from), listening to it within the context of "this is an 80s album" was rewarding. Prior to this listen, I could have only recognized two Tears for Fears songs from listening to them (both on this album). It was nice to hear the full scope of their sound beyond their two songs still played on classic rock stations.

I've always enjoyed "Shout" and not just because of this cover from my high school days...
My Banners:

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”