SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Re: SAW [Week 24 - "Songs From the Big Chair"]

Post by Ricochet »

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

I'm going with 4.5 for Faces in the Rocks. I love it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 49

Post by triceratopzeuhl »

Tears for Fears are decent but a little lighter than I like my new wave. One of the most 80s sounding albums ever with all that reverb.

3*, Head Over Heels is the best track.
[EMM winner placeholder] ImageImage
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido - the best parts are the ambient instrumental spacy tracks like the opener, closer & parts of Lies With The Sea. I didn't like the vocals or the electro drums and the whole thing is produced really loud and trebly.

2*
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

sTOOGES - never been much of a punk rocker but this was a fun listen, it's almost got this chill/low energy vibe to it that most punk doesn't. Sometimes can't understand what Iggy is singing but it fits with the songs. Loose and Dirt are my favourite tracks. strong 3*
Last edited by triceratopzeuhl on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Toehider - it's the kind of prog metal I don't like at all (which is virtually all prog metal ;)), technically impressive but does nothing for me, don't enjoy the compositions or singing. 1.5*
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

Circlesongs link didn't work for me, still need more listens on the others I've missed
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

also I swear I posted about Mountain Goats already but don't see anything from me so:

2.5*, I like the instrumentation, ending up not minding the singer's half-talking voice as much as I thought I would, didn't like the "lol I'm so random" lyrics though.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm sorry I haven't been more active here myself!

Songs from the Big Chair is a solid synthpop/new wave album. I'd give it a 3.5.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

I finished my listens of Marie Sioux, I just never put my thoughts together. I'll take care of that this weekend. It didn't make a big impact on me.

As for Tears for Fears, I was pleasantly surprised. While their sound is completely dated (seriously, there is no chance anyone could misplace the decade any of those songs come from), listening to it within the context of "this is an 80s album" was rewarding. Prior to this listen, I could have only recognized two Tears for Fears songs from listening to them (both on this album). It was nice to hear the full scope of their sound beyond their two songs still played on classic rock stations.

I've always enjoyed "Shout" and not just because of this cover from my high school days...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Just FYI, the next week or two will be highly uncertain in terms of producing reviews, because it's that time of the year again for me to panic that I have to present a PhD update on my progress [spoilers: I have made no progress] and scramble with a week or so left to, uhm, present something. anything...

SLUGTONY CRAPTANO HERE, THE INTERNET'S WORST PHD SCHOLAR...

Nothing to do with either the current or upcoming submissions or the level of investment in them - it's not as if I won't be able to listen to them - but, you know, precious hours be precious. Right now I'm looking at 90% odds of getting no reviewing done this weekend.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I've always liked this album a lot, though that primarily focused on the big three hits (Shout, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Head Over Heels). The rest don't do much for me, but they don't take away from the experience either. They're just there. Overall I give it a 4. It may be top heavy, but that top is really good.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYME FLIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

I'll keep my remarks brief.

Songs from the Big Chair is my favorite pop album of all time. It was one of several soundtracks to my fondly-remembered childhood, and the skating rink was a frequently visited place of recreation.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Head Over Heels" are the highlights. This album takes what Tears for Fears did right on their debut (another great album merely overshadowed by its successor) and magnifies it.

If I had any complaint whatsoever, it would be that I wish Smith sang lead more, as I consider him to have the better voice.

This is the best answer to the question, "What did the 80s sound like?"

5/5
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:48 pm
This is the best answer to the question, "What did the 80s sound like?"
While that may be true, it may still not be a pretty answer to some.

:grin:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Faces in the Rocks

The first two tracks on this album were really good and they helped set the tone for the entire album. Sioux may be pulling from a portion of her heritage but it never sounds like she's exploiting it. Track three was on the fence between pleasant and good but fell over to the pleasant side. The rest of the album failed to climb back on that fence for me. After three tracks, I was still interested in hearing what the artist brought to the table.

"Bravitzlana Rubakalva" was a curious track, as it brought out the Eastern- and Central European roots of Sioux just a little bit. I think this was the point where the lyrics started to stand out to me in a weird way. They became a little to odd and referential to things that the artist herself only heard from her mother growing up. She didn't grow up on a reservation or surrounded by people of her mother's tribal affiliation. So the cynic in me felt she started making more Native American-sounding references for the sake of sounding more Native American.

While the lyrics started to lose their luster, the music remained good the whole way through. The longer songs lacked much musical variation, which wore me down near album's end. Sometimes simplicity works very well. Stretching simplicity out too long, however, doesn't always work. Here it did not.

I'd say my three favorites are the first three tracks. They set the tone and made a decent first impression. Then the novelty wore off. Yes, I still find this simple, folksy style of music a novelty. I can't help it. I didn't grow up around this kind of stuff so I am biased against it slightly. She's got a good voice but she needs to expand her sound a little.

G-Man Scale: 3.28 out of 5
Rico Scale: 3.5 out of 5
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 25 - "Fetish Bones"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

25. A Person - Moor Mother - Fetish Bones / 2016 / Noise/hip hop / 13 tracks / 30:16 / YouTube, Bandcamp, and Spotify

This album is up today. I'll transform this into a proper introduction when time permits.
Week 25: Moor Mother - Fetish Bones

Submitted by [mention]A Person[/mention]

Available on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Spotify

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Also, submit your albums for the next poll.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Ooo I'm eligible again. I submit The Golden Age by Woodkid.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

I resubmit Townes Van Zandt
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I'm going to go with a choice that will probably make me look like a copycat of Epi, but I've been waiting to suggest this one.

A Flock of Seagulls' debut album, A Flock of Seagulls. This comes with a stipulation though. I am submitting the original, UK release version. It is only available through YouTube. Spotify uses the US release version of the album, which omits a song and has a very different (and in my opinion, inferior) track order.

A Flock of Seagulls
A Flock of Seagulls
Released 4/30/1982
New Wave / Synth-Pop
11 Tracks, 41:06
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Songs from the Big Chair

It's amazing what a difference a good pair of headphones makes. I listened to this album several times at work on cheap but mostly decent accessory speakers. When listening to it at home on my good-quality, moderately priced headphones, I was blown away at times by the depth, richness, and fullness of the sound Tears For Fears accomplished here.

Track one, "Shout," is an old favorite, so that was a great way to start things off. I grew to like "The Working Hour" the more I listened to it but it's still a step down from "Shout." "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" has been so overplayed over the years that I couldn't put it on par with "Shout." It's a classic example of the stereotypical 80's sound but it elicits half an eyeroll just because I heard it so many freaking times on the radio growing up.

But, as a product the 80s (and a child of the 90s), this music is part of my cultural DNA. Hearing music like Tears For Fears brings me back to a hard-to-define point of origin. It's not just a cliched throwback to be kept at arms length. I'm old enough to be considered either tail-end Gen-X or proto-Millennial. In some weird way, listening to this stuff is akin to coming home. With good headphones, it was an eye-opener.

Overall, 80s new wave isn't exactly my genre but I can appreciate it for the pop constructions that make it up. I didn't love everything about this album but I was impressed by how well-crafted all these songs are. The only track I didn't consider 'good' or better was "I Believe" because it was too mellow the whole way through and missed some chances to build up to something better.

This is a fine album overall and I can understand anyone who might think it should be taken as is. To pick three though, isn't too difficult. I'd take "Shout," "Mothers Talk," and "Head Over Heals/Broken." I passed on "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" because of the biases I mentioned earlier. Still a fine little pop tune but after the whatever-thousandth time hearing it, I just half to side-step it for something I hadn't heard before.

G-Man Scale: 3.98 out of 5
Rico Scale: 4 out of 5
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

My submission remains the same.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

"The Working Hour" would be #3 for me. "Shout" #4.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 134

Post by speedchuck »

Ricochet wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 pm My submission remains the same.
Ditto
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

So, Moor Mother.

A Person seems to enjoy albums that trigger my tinnitus.
My Banners:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 134

Post by speedchuck »

Faces in the Rocks is super pleasant. I feel like I have to be in a certain mood to like it, but I love it.

I don't feel like giving stars for these albums, because I'm mostly listening to songs that other people said were faves. It's all I have time for. I am here and listening though. :P
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The thread is properly updated for Fetish Bones.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm a bit behind, sorry folks! Intend on catching back up this week. :D
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

First thoughts on Fetish Bone:
-lyrically interesting
-compositionally uninteresting
-robot poetry slam
-hostile at times
-makes me yearn for some Rage Against the Machine
My Banners:
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

tried a few times but can't get through this one
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I was happy to give Fetish Bones a go tonight, because it's something very different. I didn't entirely follow the thing, but I don't care. It was a nice diversion, and I appreciate the vocal political expression -- it comes with passion by default. 3 stars.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Caught up.
Songs From the Big Chair - 4.0 - good stuff
Fetish Bones - 3.0 - very powerful/compelling lyrics/poetry, interesting production and variety of sound
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ok folks, I shall assist Jay from now on in managing this club.

We currently have exactly five new eligible submissions, three of which are carry-overs from the previous poll, lol. It's quite clear, under such circumstances, that there is no need to create a poll for them and that we'll just progress with the order in which these have been submitted (or resubmitted) this week. If I did actually miss any previous recommendation, let me know.

Still, if I can get at least two more by Merkan bedtime tonight, we could battle it out after all. [mention]MovingPictures07[/mention], [mention]insertnamehere[/mention], [mention]Quin[/mention], [mention]Golden[/mention], [mention]sprityo[/mention], please note that you are currently eligible to submit a new album. [mention]Boomslang[/mention], mate, we haven't heard from you in ages.

Also, keep that feedback on Moor Mother coming. It's a 30-minute short, but dense capsule of crazy and dark, so it should definitely get some impression out of you.

Lastly, I'm more of a Monday person when it comes to switching into a new week. Would anyone have any objections to this minor change?
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by insertnamehere »

Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On / 2011 / Freak Folk / 10 Tracks / 39:28

For spooky Halloween times, preferably.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Ricochet wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:52 pm Ok folks, I shall assist Jay from now on in managing this club.

We currently have exactly five new eligible submissions, three of which are carry-overs from the previous poll, lol. It's quite clear, under such circumstances, that there is no need to create a poll for them and that we'll just progress with the order in which these have been submitted (or resubmitted) this week. If I did actually miss any previous recommendation, let me know.

Still, if I can get at least two more by Merkan bedtime tonight, we could battle it out after all. @MovingPictures07, @insertnamehere, @Quin, @Golden, @sprityo, please note that you are currently eligible to submit a new album. @Boomslang, mate, we haven't heard from you in ages.

Also, keep that feedback on Moor Mother coming. It's a 30-minute short, but dense capsule of crazy and dark, so it should definitely get some impression out of you.

Lastly, I'm more of a Monday person when it comes to switching into a new week. Would anyone have any objections to this minor change?
I submitted an album earlier but I've been super busy so you don't have to add me to this poll
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Good of you to remind me. Ratatat going in.

Seems like we'll have a poll, after all. I'll put it tomorrow morning, so there's still time for people to suggest a few more.

Or invite other people to join in and suggest a few more.

Or invite other people to invite other people to join in and suggest a few more.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Let me think of one and suggest it, sorry Rico! Thanks for the mention.

I also realize I'm not as behind as I thought I was! I'll get to Fetish Bones sometime this weekend.

Lastly, a Monday start would work just fine for me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

[mention]birdwithteeth11[/mention] and [mention]NewTraditionalist[/mention] might be interested in this too.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'll nominate Leucocyte by Esbjorn Svensson Trio.

RYM
Youtube
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Full list of submissions for SAWs 26-30:

G-Man - A Flock of Seagulls - A Flock of Seagulls / 1982 / Synth-pop, New Wave / 11 tracks / 41:06 / available on YouTube

insertnamehere - Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On / 2011 / Freak Folk / 10 Tracks / 39:28 / available on ?

MovingPictures07 - Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Leucocyte / 2008 / Avant-Garde Jazz / 10 tracks / 74:38 / available on YouTube

nutella - Woodkid - The Golden Age / 2013 / Orchestral pop / 14 tracks / 49:39 / available on YouTube

Ricochet - Phoenix - Mugur de fluier / 1974 / Progressive folk / 14 tracks / 45:56 / available on YouTube and Spotify

speedchuck - That Handsome Devil - A City Dressed in Dynamite / Alternative Rock / 12/15? tracks / (41:42) / available on YouTube

sprityo - Ratatat - Classics / 2006 / Alternative indie rock / 10 tracks / 39:01 / available on YouTube

triceratopzeuhl - Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt / 1969 / Country/folk / 10 tracks / 34:33 / available on YouTube and Spotify
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 pm I'll nominate Leucocyte by Esbjorn Svensson Trio.

RYM
Youtube
shiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeet

That's gonna take some real mental preparation. I don't recall speaking too much about it in the open. The only E.S.T. album I flexed my reviewing muscles for was 301 and it was mostly because I disapproved of it as a release, so I had something to rant about.
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by insertnamehere »

links to my album submission
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Mkay, time to vote.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I finally got around to Toehider.

I imagine in the late 70s some music aficionados would balk at the seemingly oxymoronic label "progressive punk," but it exists, and What Kind of Creature Am I? fits.

For me to appreciate punk anything, the musicianship and composition has to win me over from the usually grating guitar tone. The band that springs to mind that does this the best was The Mars Volta (though I admittedly hated their sound the first few times I ever heard them- it wasn't until I just went ahead and bought a few albums and listened to everything in context that they became my favorite band of this subgenre).

The standout element of the opening track is the bass work- no question. Otherwise the track is a little too peppy for my taste. "Whatever Makes you Feel Superior" is certainly catchy enough, though the guitar solo sounds more like a technical exercise. "The Thing With Me" strikes me as more of a parody than anything.

By the middle of the album, I grow desperate for a respite. "Spoilt for Choice" offers that, but it feels so strange on this album. For one, it sounds like a band in the 80s with a hit single to please the record company. It sounds like a completely different band. Very pleasant listen all the same.

The highlights of the album are "Under the Future, We Bury the Past," which really caught my ear, and "Meet the Sloth," which is by far the most satisfying song offered. It is adventurous and so similar to a favorite epic piece of mine by a band called Ritual, "A Dangerous Journey."

It really should have ended there. The acoustic conclusion is magical.

I cannot understand the creative thinking that decided tacking "Geese Lycan" on the end was the best way to end the album. No thanks.

I would say the first half is good for those who are really into the style and get their kicks on technical showmanship, but I don't fall into either of those categories (so 2/5). The second half (until that final wtf), is brilliant, and would score either a 4 or 5 out of 5.

I'll be revisiting what I like for sure. 3/5
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official

I forgot about my policy of not voting for albums I already know and voted for Leucocyte

Only heard Cantafabule from Phoenix but I liked it I actually have all 3 of theirs lol
Last edited by triceratopzeuhl on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

More votes welcomed and required. 24 hours (give or take, I have school starting tomorrow morning).
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

Totally forgot to respond to this. I've been briefly looking over this thread so far and and am definitely interested in participating in this. Thanks [mention]MovingPictures07[/mention]!

I've voted for the only album in the list that I have heard. So I have some work cut out for me here.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Welcome, BWT!

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”