Acquired Any New Albums Recently?

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Bought Any New Albums Recently?

Post by nutella »

Recent new albums!

alt-J - RELAXER - Pretty good, though imo they could never really top An Awesome Wave. This one grew on me though, on first listen I only really enjoyed ~2 of the 8 tracks but I appreciated the others more on second listen. Somewhat odd rendition of "House of the Rising Sun", again I didn't like it at first but got a little bit more out of it the second time around. Standout tracks are "In Cold Blood", "Deadcrush", and "Pleader".

Fleet Foxes - Crack-up - Hell yeah hell yeah. Finally we get more sweet, sweet Fleet Foxes content. Nice, gentle, understated, at points even a little boring on the surface/at first, but beautiful and complex underneath. Again, appreciated more on second listen, but not quite convinced I like it quite as much as their previous material. But it's a lovely, well-balanced album.

James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens, Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly - Planetarium - Have to give this one a mention because it's a great collaboration and a cool concept. Haven't gotten around to a second listen yet, but first impressions were that it was really nice listening and musically diverse, except that I rather too easily get tired of Sufjan's voice. But put a Dessner bro on anything and I'll check it out.

Speaking of which, stay tuned for The National's new release later this year! I've already gotten pretty hooked on the lead single, "The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness." I'm such a sucker though... to me, Matt Berninger's voice is like coming home and wrapping a soft warm blanket around my ears. :cloud9:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Re: Bought Any New Albums Recently?

Post by nutella »

Alright, on second listen I think Planetarium is an AOTY candidate. Goooooood shit.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Re: Acquired Any New Albums Recently?

Post by nutella »

obligatory Sleep Well Beast hell yeaaaaaaahhhh post

love it <3
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:00 am obligatory Sleep Well Beast hell yeaaaaaaahhhh post

love it <3
hell yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

they never miss
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

it's been a great week in album releases, these are all fantastic
Big Red Machine - s/t (project by Justin Vernon and Aaron Dessner, solidly excellent)
Hozier - Nina Cried Power EP (been waiting for new music from him for a while and he delivered)
the Mountain Goats - Hex of Infinite Binding EP (surprise ep drop! and it's really good, some cool clarinet and stuff and holy shit that second track is devastatingly sad)
Paul Simon - In the Blue Light (new arrangements of various pre-existing songs and they're absolutely stunning, and involve collaborators including yMusic and Bryce Dessner hell yeaahhh)

god the dessner bros are everywhere i love them so much
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

I recently downloaded my free copy of the Destiny 2: Forsaken soundtrack. And my oh my, They Deliver some epic music

Michael Salvatori in particular, love his work. So far my favorite tracks are, The Fanatic, The Man They Called Cayde, and Gunslinger
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”