New musical fascinations

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 6

Re: New musical fascinations

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote:It took me way too long so I'm really late to the party on this stuff, but I've finally started actually getting into hip-hop! I've really enjoyed the Death Grips albums I've heard (the first few so far), and upon a coworker's recommendation I also enjoyed an apparently pretty old classic, Nas' album Illmatic. Really good stuff. And right now also via recommendation I am absolutely loving the album CLPPNG by clipping, a group fronted by Daveed Diggs of Hamilton fame. Gooooooood shit. :dance:
Two words:

The Carnival
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Right now I'm obsessed with avant-folk, such as Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes, Nico, Natural Snow Buildings, Stephan Micus, but especially Tim Buckley's weirder shit (Lorca and Starsailor). Absolutely amazing. Mindblowing stuff.

nutella wrote:It took me way too long so I'm really late to the party on this stuff, but I've finally started actually getting into hip-hop! I've really enjoyed the Death Grips albums I've heard (the first few so far), and upon a coworker's recommendation I also enjoyed an apparently pretty old classic, Nas' album Illmatic. Really good stuff. And right now also via recommendation I am absolutely loving the album CLPPNG by clipping, a group fronted by Daveed Diggs of Hamilton fame. Gooooooood shit. :dance:
Took me a while too, never looked back though. CLPPNG is good shit.

You need A Tribe Called Quest pronto. They're my favorite hip hop group of all time for good reason. Couldn't imagine my musical life without them. The Low End Theory is a desert island album for me without a doubt.

Other classic East Coast Hip Hop is a must (Beastie Boys, GZA/Genius, The Notorious BIG, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang Clan, etc.), and while East Coast is clearly superior, some West Coast stuff is amazing too (Kendrick Lamar, The Pharcyde, etc.). And don't forget about Southern (OutKast, CunninLynguists, etc.).

Some of my personal hip hop favorites that I think you couldn't go wrong with either: Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Danny Brown, De La Soul, Deltron 3030, Digable Planets, Madvillain, Nujabes, Organized Konfusion, Run the Jewels, etc.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Also Aquemini
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I love Avant Folk, MP. Have you listened to Current 93? Check 'em out!
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:I love Avant Folk, MP. Have you listened to Current 93? Check 'em out!
I haven't! I'll definitely do that, thanks. :D

The extent of my knowledge of avant-folk has historically been pretty limited to what I discovered due to crossover with prog (Comus is obviously amazing), so I'm loving exploring this stuff.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
thellama73 wrote:I love Avant Folk, MP. Have you listened to Current 93? Check 'em out!
I haven't! I'll definitely do that, thanks. :D

The extent of my knowledge of avant-folk has historically been pretty limited to what I discovered due to crossover with prog (Comus is obviously amazing), so I'm loving exploring this stuff.
I'm kind of obsessed with electric English folk (not so interested in American folk). Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Trees, Mr. Fox, and of course the brilliant Comus. The list goes on and on. All great stuff.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Wow thanks for all the recs guys!! I'm totally blown away by The Carnival so far and I'm only two tracks in :D
((EDIT finished the album wow that was amazing all the way through :clap: ))

Also I love me some weird folky stuff, definitely adding those to my list as well. I love this thread you guys
Last edited by nutella on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

@Alex Current 93 has a Bandcamp page with all their music on it. This is my personal favorite of their:
https://current931.bandcamp.com/album/o ... ing-starre

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

I hate avant folk. And Current 93.

nutella, sounds like you could go now through all the next clippin phases, 'cause they're growingly more surprising and creative. Was going to push a recommendation on them once last year's Splendor & Misery was released, but then forgot. But since you mentioned the "of Hamilton fame" detail, I think the latest album certainly puts that into perspective; less vitriol and spitting, more conceptual artistry.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Fishmans.

That is all. If you haven't heard them, do it. Now.

Also, Current 93 is awesome, thanks for the rec, Logan!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Been checking out Fishmans since you posted about them and they are pretty awesome!

Currently into Esben and the Witch. Kinda hard to describe, sort of dark post-rock with a bunch of different elements. Here's a taste:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Been checking out a lot of new discoveries lately (mostly stemming from my spotify discover weekly playlists, I check out the ones whose sound I like, then go from there to similar artists, and going through a list of bands I've been meaning to check out)

One that particularly stands out is The Reign of Kindo (apparently former members of another more well known band This Day and Age, but I didn't like their sound as much). I really liked quite a lot of their tracks and they have a very enjoyable, unique sound.

This is the first track I heard of theirs (thanks to discover weekly) and it really caught my attention and I still really like it:

This is from what I believe is their only full album, but they have a few EPs, and I think their self-titled one is really good all the way through. Here's a track from it

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I really use the word "really" really quite a lot :ninja:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Hello again thread, seems I'm the only one who posts here anymore :sigh:

Here's what I have to offer today. "Long Gone" by Mary Epworth came up on my spotify discover list and I loved it, so I'm checking out her album (only one so far) right now. Here's that one plus the second track on the album which I also really enjoyed. About halfway through now and nothing else has really stood out that's as captivating on first listen as these two, it's kinda more standard singer-songwriter-y stuff, but it's all pretty good with well-composed arrangements. But these two tracks show that she has a pretty eclectic and promising range of talents.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I'm mildly obsessed with Tall Heights lately. Yeah, yeah, they are yet another one of those folky indie bands I love so much, lol -- I'm a sucker for really lovely vocal harmonies and these guys have absolutely stunning vocal harmonies... also cello... :cloud9: I'd compare their sound the most to Darlingside and The Paper Kites, two other favorites of mine which I also highly recommend. Here are my three favorite songs of theirs

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Whoa my last post in this thread was about Tall Heights, with whom I only became more obsessed and I got to see them live in October (after they released a new album which is really good) and they were SO AWESOME live and I love them so much

Anyway I haven't posted about enough musical discoveries for a while! I've had a lot of them lately, many from hanging out in The Family Crest's Discord server (which is really cool, they're really fun people and so are the fans! And also the band has a fun podcast where they chat and joke and tell stories and recommend music that they like!) So I've found a lot of music through them/other fans in the discord, some sort of similar to TFC and some very different, lol. On the more similar side, they recently toured with The Oh Hellos, unfortunately there wasn't a show in my area, but I got to listening to The Oh Hellos more because of it and they are really really good.

Lots more on the folkier-strings-oriented side, like Murder By Death, The Arcadian Wilds, Hey Rosetta! and many more...

(I loooove this song)

I could go on and on with more recommendations but the one I've been listening to a bunch today is a group called Exquisite Corps. If I had to describe their sound I'd call it a cross between TFC and Royal Blood, so I think [mention]speedchuck[/mention] would enjoy them.

Lastly I'm currently listening to Birdeatsbaby, yeah odd name -- linked in the chat by the same person who recommended Exquisite Corps, sort of in a similar vein but with a... darker vibe? Hard to describe, it's a bit over the top and I think I'm getting tired of it more easily than the former but I loved the first two-three tracks

I'll stop there for now but I've got a whole trenchcoat full of bands if anyone needs any. We should really start SAW back up :p
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@ me if I don't respond soon. I want to listen to the things.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 2
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Wow nutella. Awesome share of music. I love the Oh Hellos, I'll listen to the rest of these over the next couple of days. Thanks for sharing!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I've actually performed a few Oh Hellos songs live. Good stuff.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Dude nice!!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:30 pmDude nice!!
In fact, this very picture was taken in the midst of "Begin and Never Cease."

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That particular moment is the banjo solo done on electric guitar.
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ColinIsCool »

I’m working on an extremely lengthy, time-consuming RYM project so I haven’t been listening to a lot of “new” music lately, but the one artist I have been exploring is Tom Waits. Way overdue, because his stuff is freaky and ghoulish and brilliant.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”