Rainbow Album Rankings

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 48
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: Rainbow Album Rankings

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:If you want rabbit hole descending, I posted on RYM back in 2010 (... wait, almost six years ago? fock! my life, I want it back :overreact: ) with a list I had written on a blog, with what I called "oddities" of avant-garde, nu free jazz, experimental and electroacoustic nature. These albums are basically the high gloss of what got me initiated in those genres back then. Mind you, though, these is actual a pretty mild selection. Dante hasn't seen shit in Inferno, compared to what can lurk in the depths of these orientations. :shifty:
:clap:
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 30
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Just added you Rico. DEAL WITH IT. :P
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Ok, but just so you know, vvlll is using my account more these days.
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by a2thezebra »

I added you as well, it's too weird just being friends with my former account. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A Person »

I have a RYM account but I do not use it.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 10

Post by S~V~S »

I do not because super music people make me feel plebian, lol. I'll be all cool and liking all the right stuff, then I *squeeee* for Hungry Like the Wolf, and my cred is destroyed.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

People who judge others for their music tastes are totally silly, and frankly I think many music enthusiasts restrict themselves because they want to be perceived a certain way instead of simply respecting their own whims.

I've heard an absolute pile of music from a pile of genres, and I can still get excited to hear my favorite Taylor Swift song. :biggrin:

No tastes are bad tastes. We like what we like!
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Epignosis »

I found "Close to the Edge" on a jukebox at a Bowling Alley. I pissed off a lot of hip hop guys that night. "What the fuck is this shit?" "When it gonna end?"

I got my Fifty Cent worth. :noble:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The entire song was on a jukebox? :haha:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:The entire song was on a jukebox? :haha:
It was. At the bowling alley that same night I played "Supper's Ready" (live). :dark:

I've also found "The Revealing Science of God." I played that at a Scottish-styled pub.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

By the way, there's a name for the practice of selecting relatively obscure music on a jukebox. "Wyatting."

That's right- named after drummer and singer Robert Wyatt.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I like to play bagpipe music in public places. Like in the summer, I roll my car windows down & blast those pipes at red lights. LOL.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

S~V~S wrote:I like to play bagpipe music in public places. Like in the summer, I roll my car windows down & blast those pipes at red lights. LOL.
Love me some pipes. I listen to Seven Nations and Bad Haggis, for instance.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Epignosis wrote:I found "Close to the Edge" on a jukebox at a Bowling Alley. I pissed off a lot of hip hop guys that night. "What the fuck is this shit?" "When it gonna end?"

I got my Fifty Cent worth. :noble:
If I had had change I would've gone Wyatting at the bowling alley I was at yesterday.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Epignosis wrote:
S~V~S wrote:I like to play bagpipe music in public places. Like in the summer, I roll my car windows down & blast those pipes at red lights. LOL.
I do everything from Real Mackenzies to Queens Pipe & Drum Corps. One year my husband & took a friend of ours who was a Uilleann piper to the St Patricks Day parade/party in Butte,MT (they shut down the whole town. Little old ladies sell Beer at card tables in the street. Small children hand out green trinkets. They have shuttle buses from the hotels & motels to downtown; we used to go every year) and we would stand outside a packed bar, and he would start piping, and they would part like the waters of the Red Sea for the piper.

It was a beautiful thing :)
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

S~V~S wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
I do everything from Real Mackenzies to Queens Pipe & Drum Corps. One year my husband & took a friend of ours who was a Uilleann piper to the St Patricks Day parade/party in Butte,MT (they shut down the whole town. Little old ladies sell Beer at card tables in the street. Small children hand out green trinkets. They have shuttle buses from the hotels & motels to downtown; we used to go every year) and we would stand outside a packed bar, and he would start piping, and they would part like the waters of the Red Sea for the piper.

It was a beautiful thing :)
Sounds beautiful. We were on vacation in St. Mary's, Georgia during their 4th of July parade, and there was a piper. He seemed stunned when I approached him and said, "I enjoyed your rendition of 'The Clumsy Lover.'"

My brother is also a snare drummer in a marching band, and he plays at the Highland Games here in NC.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

People are of two minds about pipes; either they love them, or they think it is an awful caterwauling. I never knew someone to be indifferent. My husband was a Fenian & a Hibernian. We had pipers at our wedding, and at his funeral. They are precious to me, and I don't often meet a kindred spirit! :hugs:
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:People are of two minds about pipes; either they love them, or they think it is an awful caterwauling. I never knew someone to be indifferent. My husband was a Fenian & a Hibernian. We had pipers at our wedding, and at his funeral. They are precious to me, and I don't often meet a kindred spirit! :hugs:
The first instrument I learned to play was the accordion, so I am well acquainted with love it or hate it instruments. I happen to love bagpipes, and most of the other instruments everyone else dislikes. The only one I really can't stand is melodica.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Bagpipes are the best.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

thellama73 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:People are of two minds about pipes; either they love them, or they think it is an awful caterwauling. I never knew someone to be indifferent. My husband was a Fenian & a Hibernian. We had pipers at our wedding, and at his funeral. They are precious to me, and I don't often meet a kindred spirit! :hugs:
The first instrument I learned to play was the accordion, so I am well acquainted with love it or hate it instruments. I happen to love bagpipes, and most of the other instruments everyone else dislikes. The only one I really can't stand is melodica.
Now see, I am a HUGE fan of Gogol Bordello, which has a heavy accordion element. I don't love traditional accordion, like L. Welk, but I love a bit of rock/punk accordion! Can you point me to where I might have heard a melodica?

It never would have occurred to me to think I was here in a nest of pipe lovers all this time!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I've never been in a place with a jukebox. The bartenders or DJs are czars over the playlist in our restaurants and bars, and the selection is rarely surprising to my ears.

For accordion, I would recommend the classical-trained and contemporary-versed Teodoro Anzellotti. Of course, many of his recordings delve into modern music written for the instrument, but he has one or two albums, like this one containing transcriptions from Erik Satie, that should please any listener.
And of course, when it comes to accordion, you can't go wrong with Aranis. :ohyeah: Debut and II compulsory, the others are ok.
agleaminranks
The Mark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by agleaminranks »

I loathe the bagpipes. A miserable instrument it is. Though I blame my hatred on bagpipes less on the instrument itself and more on the busker who used to sit directly outside my apartment every Saturday and play his goddamned bagpipes for eight goddamned hours, starting at 9 in the flipping morning. Which was only exasperated by my working 3rd shift at the time and not getting to go to bed until 7am. Closest I've ever gotten to premeditated murder.

That being said, as far as I'm concerned, the only artists who should ever be let near the blasted instrument are Godspeed and Neurosis.

┏━━━┳━━━┳━┓┏━┳━━━┓┏━━━━┳━━┓┏┓╋┏┓
┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃┃┗┛┃┃┏━━┛┃┏┓┏┓┃┏┓┃┃┃╋┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┃┃┏┓┏┓┃┗━━┓┗┛┃┃┗┫┗┛┗┫┗━┛┃
┗━━┓┃┗━┛┃┃┃┃┃┃┏━━┛╋╋┃┃╋┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃
┃┗━┛┃┏━┓┃┃┃┃┃┃┗━━┓╋╋┃┃╋┃┗━┛┃┃╋┃┃
┗━━━┻┛╋┗┻┛┗┛┗┻━━━┛╋╋┗┛╋┗━━━┻┛╋┗┛
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:Can you point me to where I might have heard a melodica?
Here's a particularly annoying melodica rendition of an already bad song. When played well, it can almost sound like a crummy accordion, but they are almost never played well.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:
Nowadays, when I think of bagpipes, I think of Alex and Annie's wedding.

Llama, Mongoose and I listened to Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn on the way back to the Dayton airport to cap off a really awesome weekend. Good times. :cloud9:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
agleaminranks
The Mark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by agleaminranks »

Rico you had better save me a spot in that game.
┏━━━┳━━━┳━┓┏━┳━━━┓┏━━━━┳━━┓┏┓╋┏┓
┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃┃┗┛┃┃┏━━┛┃┏┓┏┓┃┏┓┃┃┃╋┃┃
┃┗━━┫┃╋┃┃┏┓┏┓┃┗━━┓┗┛┃┃┗┫┗┛┗┫┗━┛┃
┗━━┓┃┗━┛┃┃┃┃┃┃┏━━┛╋╋┃┃╋┃┏━┓┃┏━┓┃
┃┗━┛┃┏━┓┃┃┃┃┃┃┗━━┓╋╋┃┃╋┃┗━┛┃┃╋┃┃
┗━━━┻┛╋┗┻┛┗┛┗┻━━━┛╋╋┗┛╋┗━━━┻┛╋┗┛
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

thellama73 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Can you point me to where I might have heard a melodica?
Here's a particularly annoying melodica rendition of an already bad song. When played well, it can almost sound like a crummy accordion, but they are almost never played well.
So it's like a kiddie toy organ? You are right, that was pretty terrible, lol.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

agleaminranks wrote:
I love the bagpipes on this, so full of despair.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

agleaminranks wrote:Rico you had better save me a spot in that game.
You were the second to sign up for E.S.T., I've no doubt this will attract the firefly in you just as quickly. :p

You won't get to choose your role, this time, though. :feb:
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by G-Man »

I took a week off. I'm back in the swing of it this week though. Yesterday I began listening to Bob Dylan's discography. I was pleasantly surprised that he never went softer than "Blowin' in the Wind." I was worried it would be Peter, Paul, and Mary type wussy folk nonsense but Dylan's sneer cuts through the accoustic stuff.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

G-Man wrote:I took a week off. I'm back in the swing of it this week though. Yesterday I began listening to Bob Dylan's discography. I was pleasantly surprised that he never went softer than "Blowin' in the Wind." I was worried it would be Peter, Paul, and Mary type wussy folk nonsense but Dylan's sneer cuts through the accoustic stuff.
With the exception of "The Times They Are a Changin'" which is his insincere protest-folk record calculated to separate the hippies from their meager funds, Every one of Dylan's first 7 records is at least borderline brilliant.

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

thellama73 wrote:
G-Man wrote:I took a week off. I'm back in the swing of it this week though. Yesterday I began listening to Bob Dylan's discography. I was pleasantly surprised that he never went softer than "Blowin' in the Wind." I was worried it would be Peter, Paul, and Mary type wussy folk nonsense but Dylan's sneer cuts through the accoustic stuff.
With the exception of "The Times They Are a Changin'" which is his insincere protest-folk record calculated to separate the hippies from their meager funds, Every one of Dylan's first 7 records is at least borderline brilliant.
I got through Blonde on Blonde today and can fully agree with you. The only album other than greatest hits is Highway 61 Revisited. One of my favorites and I had a hard time not giving it a perfect score.
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Bob Dylan is among the few artists I never "bulk-listened" - although, upon reflection, this idea of mine to immerse in his music bit by bit is quite irrational - I doubt I reached 10 different albums of his in my count, thus far. Anyway, I'd agree with H61 being a masterpiece. The only other albums that really stuck with me were Freewheelin' and Blood on the Tracks, if only for the delirious epic Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I think we should talk about what we like without denigrating what we don't by calling it names. Making fun of the listeners of some kinds of music discourages people from joining the conversation.

I happen to like folk music. I grew up with it, it is the soundtrack of my childhood.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:I think we should talk about what we like without denigrating what we don't by calling it names. Making fun of the listeners of some kinds of music discourages people from joining the conversation.

I happen to like folk music. I grew up with it, it is the soundtrack of my childhood.
I wasn't denigrating folk music. I like folk music. That is Dylan's own characterization of that album. He is on record saying he didn't mean a word of it, and was just doing it to get successful enough to play the music he wanted to play. I also happen to think it is not a very good album, but many of his other folk efforts (Freewheelin', self-titled, Another Side) are outstanding.

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I think she's talking about my crack at Peter, Paul, and Mary. Sorry, S~V~S. I wrote in a flash and didn't think about how it might read to someone with different tastes. I will police myself better. I've gotten good about not bashing movie genres that aren't my cup of tea thanks to my movie reviews but it seems I'm still a loose cannon when it comes to my musical preferences. :blush:
My Banners:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I think there's room in a music discussion for people who like Peter, Paul & Mary and people who think they are wussy folk nonsense. Variety is the spice of life.

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

One thing I did notice is that a lot of Dylan's early stuff was covered by The Byrds. I knew they made a few covers (all inferior in my opinion) but I didn't realize just how repackaged they were.
My Banners:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

G-Man wrote:One thing I did notice is that a lot of Dylan's early stuff was covered by The Byrds. I knew they made a few covers (all inferior in my opinion) but I didn't realize just how repackaged they were.
Ture, but William Shatner's cover of Mr. Tambourine Man is transcendent.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Updated for AMSP:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Radiohead

Kid A
OK Computer

A Moon Shaped Pool
The Bends
Amnesiac

The King of Limbs

In Rainbows

Hail to the Thief

Pablo Honey
Subject to change though, especially since I've only heard it 5 times thus far.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I fell out of the habit for a bit but I'm making up for it by posting three sets today.

Bob Dylan's first nine albums (including most of his critically acclaimed work) were easy to find on YouTube. After that it was hit or miss. Some playlists had all but two or three songs and some albums are completely blocked. Very odd for a record label to keep the less successful albums off the internet but keep his famous stuff available. Anyway, here are the Dylan albums I was able to listen to:

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde on Blonde
Bringing it All Back Home
The Times They Are a-Changin'
John Wesley Harding
Planet Waves

Bob Dylan
Another Side of Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline
Time Out of Mind
The Basement Tapes
Slow Train Coming
Shot of Love

Oh Mercy
Desire

Indifels
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Since I'm working off the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's member list, I went back to the early days of rock and listened to the works of Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens. Buddy Holly only had two albums of his own (plus one with the Crickets, which I've included in my list). Valens never released a full album while he was alive. Three albums of recorded material were released posthumously. Six albums made for two easy lists to work up:

Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly

The "Chirping" Crickets
That'll Be the Day

Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens
Ritchie

In Concert at Pacoima Jr. High

And now for the return of the big list!
Highway 61 Revisited- BOB DYLAN (1965)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- THE BEATLES (1967)
Revolver- THE BEATLES (1966)
The Dark Side of the Moon- PINK FLOYD (1973)
Buddy Holly- BUDDY HOLLY (1958)
Let It Bleed- THE ROLLING STONES (1969)

Abbey Road- THE BEATLES (1969)
Blonde on Blonde- BOB DYLAN (1966)
Bringing It All Back Home- BOB DYLAN (1965)
The “Chirping” Crickets- BUDDY HOLLY AND THE CRICKETS (1957)
Wish You Were Here- PINK FLOYD (1975)
The Times They Are a-Changin’- BOB DYLAN (1964)
Beggars Banquet- THE ROLLING STONES (1967)
Between the Buttons (US)- THE ROLLING STONES (1967)
John Wesley Harding- BOB DYLAN (1967)
Sticky Fingers- THE ROLLING STONES (1971)
Planet Waves- BOB DYLAN (1974)
That’ll Be the Day- BUDDY HOLLY (1958)
The Beach Boys’ Christmas Album- THE BEACH BOYS (1964)
A Hard Day's Night- THE BEATLES (1964)
Exile on Main Street- THE ROLLING STONES (1972)
Please Please Me- THE BEATLES (1963)

Some Girls- THE ROLLING STONES (1978)
Magical Mystery Tour- THE BEATLES (1967)
Aftermath (US)- THE ROLLING STONES (1966)
Another Side of Bob Dylan- BOB DYLAN (1964)
The Beach Boys Today!- THE BEACH BOYS (1965)
Pet Sounds- THE BEACH BOYS (1966)
Bob Dylan- BOB DYLAN (1962)
The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan- BOB DYLAN (1963)
Help!- THE BEATLES (1965)
Rubber Soul- THE BEATLES (1965)
The Beatles (White Album)- THE BEATLES (1968)
Nashville Skyline- BOB DYLAN (1969)
Time Out of Mind- BOB DYLAN (1997)
Surfer Girl- THE BEACH BOYS (1963)
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)- THE BEACH BOYS (1965)
Ritchie Valens- RITCHIE VALENS (1959)
The Basement Tapes- BOB DYLAN (1975)
A Saucerful of Secrets- PINK FLOYD (1968)
Goats Head Soup- THE ROLLING STONES (1973)
Surfin’ U.S.A.- THE BEACH BOYS (1963)
Slow Train Coming- BOB DYLAN (1979)
Shot of Love- BOB DYLAN (1981)
December's Children (And Everybody's)- THE ROLLING STONES (1965)
It's Only Rock 'n Roll- THE ROLLING STONES (1974)
All Summer Long- THE BEACH BOYS (1964)
The Wall- PINK FLOYD (1979)
Ritchie- RITCHIE VALENS (1959)
Meddle- PINK FLOYD (1971)

Oh Mercy- BOB DYLAN (1989)
Beatles for Sale- THE BEATLES (1964)
Dirty Work- THE ROLLING STONES (1986)
Let It Be- THE BEATLES (1970)
Black and Blue- THE ROLLING STONES (1976)
Beach Boys Party!- THE BEACH BOYS (1965)
Love You- THE BEACH BOYS (1977)
The Rolling Stones No. 2- THE ROLLING STONES (1965)
The Rolling Stones, Now!- THE ROLLING STONES (1965)
Out of Our Heads (US)- THE ROLLING STONES (1965)
Sunflower- THE BEACH BOYS (1970)
In Concert at Pacoima Jr. High- RITCHIE VALENS (1960)
The Rolling Stones- England's Newest Hit Makers- THE ROLLING STONES (1964)
12 x 5- THE ROLLING STONES (1964)
Little Deuce Coupe- THE BEACH BOYS (1963)
With the Beatles- THE BEATLES (1963)
Desire- BOB DYLAN (1976)
Tattoo You- THE ROLLING STONES (1981)
Wild Honey- THE BEACH BOYS (1967)
Voodoo Lounge- THE ROLLING STONES (1994)
Ummagumma (Live Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
Emotional Rescue- THE ROLLING STONES (1980)
A Bigger Bang- THE ROLLING STONES (2005)
Shut Down Volume 2- THE BEACH BOYS (1964)
Surfin’ Safari- THE BEACH BOYS (1962)
That’s Why God Made the Radio- THE BEACH BOYS (2012)

Undercover- THE ROLLING STONES (1983)
Bridges to Babylon- THE ROLLING STONES (1997)
M.I.U. Album- THE BEACH BOYS (1978)
Steel Wheels- THE ROLLING STONES (1989)
Infidels- BOB DYLAN (1983)
Smiley Smile- THE BEACH BOYS (1967)
20/20- THE BEACH BOYS (1969)
Still Cruisin’- THE BEACH BOYS (1989)
Carl and the Passions- “So Tough”- THE BEACH BOYS (1972)
Their Satanic Majesties Request- THE ROLLING STONES (1967)
Yellow Submarine- THE BEATLES (1969)

Obscured by Clouds- PINK FLOYD (1972)
Animals- PINK FLOYD (1977)
15 Big Ones- THE BEACH BOYS (1976)
Stars and Stripes Vol. 1- THE BEACH BOYS (1996)
Surf’s Up- THE BEACH BOYS (1971)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason- PINK FLOYD (1987)
Holland- THE BEACH BOYS (1973)
Atom Heart Mother- PINK FLOYD (1970)
Ummagumma (Combined)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
Friends- THE BEACH BOYS (1968)
The Division Bell- PINK FLOYD (1994)
More- PINK FLOYD (1969)

Keepin’ the Summer Alive- THE BEACH BOYS (1980)
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn- PINK FLOYD (1967)
The Endless River- PINK FLOYD (2014)
L.A. (Light Album)- THE BEACH BOYS (1979)
The Beach Boys- THE BEACH BOYS (1985)
Summer in Paradise- THE BEACH BOYS (1992)
The Final Cut- PINK FLOYD (1983)

Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)- THE BEACH BOYS (1973)
Ummagumma (Studio Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)

My Banners:
leetic
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 1
Aka: Oricorio

Post by leetic »

Interpol

Turn On The Bright Lights

Antics
Our Love to Admire

Interpol
El Pintor
Last edited by leetic on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a cool cat
Image Image
Image Image
tin man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tin man »

Carly Rae Jepsen - E*MO*TION
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

tin man wrote:Carly Rae Jepsen - E*MO*TION
rules

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My latest batch is for one of the architects of rock n' roll- Chuck Berry. Thanks to YouTube, I was able to check out all but one of his albums. He was great early on but he never managed to grow as a musician (my opinion). His later stuff felt mostly like retreads where he'd write new lyrics to his older songs or start tunes off with the same riffs but it was all still very listenable. Few of his bluesy tunes registered much with me either. The man is still alive (and turning 90 in October), so kudos to him for longevity.

Chuck Berry is on Top
After School Session
St. Louis to Liverpool
Two Great Guitars
One Dozen Berrys
Rockin' at the Hops

Chuck Berry in London
New Juke Box Hits

Chuck Berry's Golden Hits
Fresh Berry's
Chuck Berry in Memphis
Back Home
The London Chuck Berry Sessions
San Francisco Dues
Chuck Berry
Bio

Concerto in "B Goode"
Rock It

Here's the updated Big List:

Chuck Berry is on Top- CHUCK BERRY (1959)
After School Session- CHUCK BERRY (1957)
St. Louis to Liverpool- CHUCK BERRY (1964)
One Dozen Berrys- CHUCK BERRY (1958)
Rockin’ at the Hops- CHUCK BERRY (1960)

Chuck Berry in London- CHUCK BERRY (1965)
New Juke Box Hits- CHUCK BERRY (1961)

Chuck Berry’s Golden Hits- CHUCK BERRY (1967)
Fresh Berry’s- CHUCK BERRY (1965)
Chuck Berry in Memphis- CHUCK BERRY (1967)
Back Home- CHUCK BERRY (1970)
The London Chuck Berry Sessions (1972)
Desire- BOB DYLAN (1976)
Ummagumma (Live Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
San Francisco Dues- CHUCK BERRY (1971)
Chuck Berry- CHUCK BERRY (1975)
Bio- CHUCK BERRY (1973)

Concerto in “B Goode”- CHUCK BERRY (1969)
Rock It- CHUCK BERRY (1979)

Ummagumma (Combined)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
More- PINK FLOYD (1969)

Ummagumma (Studio Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)

I worked up a spreadsheet for all the artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and sorted them all by the date their first album was released (or first single/work published for the few who never recorded full albums). I'm going to go back to the earliest careers. For example, today I'm listening to a mix of Charlie Christian tunes. He never recorded any albums as a solo act or as a band leader. Mostly some good big band music. Next week I'm going to tackle an odd entry to the HoF- Miles Davis. He put out a lot of albums, so it might take me a while. I've found I can only listen to three or four albums a day and maintain adequate productivity at work because splitting focus on work and music requires me to replay tracks now and then.

I've also got a good list going for notable bands not in the Hall of Fame despite being eligible for a few years. I'll post that in another thread.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

It took me a month and a half but I finished listening to Miles Davis' albums- 62 in all. If I missed any, blame Wikipedia. It was very inconsistent about the chronology of his albums and which ones counted as studio as opposed to compilations. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, though I found out early that there's only so much jazz music I can listen to in one day. Listening to Miles Davis did force me to reevaluate my scoring. Now I'm have to listen through everyone but Chuck Berry again to ensure the scores are still accurate. Some will change a little I'm sure.

Milestones

Jack Johnson
Miles Smiles
Kind of Blue
Miles Davis Quintet
Cookin'
Miles Davis with Sonny Rollins
The Compositions of Al Cohn
Workin'

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud
Water Babies
Miles Davis Volume 2
Relaxin'
Round About Midnight
Bag's Groove
Blue Haze
Dig
Jazz Track
Miles Ahead
Miles Davis All Stars, Volume 1
Miles Davis All-Star Sextet
Miles Davis Volume 3
Miles in the Sky
On the Corner
Quintet / Sextet
Sketches of Spain
Steamin'
The New Sounds
Walkin'
Young Man with a Horn
Miles Davis and Horns
E.S.P.
Miles Davis Quartet
Sorcerer
In a Silent Way
Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet
Seven Steps to Heaven

Filles de Kilimanjaro
Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants
Blue Moods
Get Up With It
Live - Evil
Collector's Items
Aura
Porgy and Bess
Bitches Brew
Blue Period
Musings of Miles
Nefertiti
Someday My Prince Will Come
The Man with the Horn
You're Under Arrest
Star People
Quiet Nights
Doo-Bop
Amandla
Miles Davis All Stars, Volume 2
Dingo: Selections from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
Decoy

Music from Siesta
Big Fun
Tutu

And now for the Big List. I changed the way it was set up. Now all albums that are tied for the same score are listed in alphabetical order (as Excel sorts them) rather than me trying to put them in order of preference:
Milestones- MILES DAVIS (1958)

Chuck Berry is on Top- CHUCK BERRY (1959)
Jack Johnson- MILES DAVIS (1971)
Miles Smiles- MILES DAVIS (1967)
After School Session- CHUCK BERRY (1957)
St. Louis to Liverpool- CHUCK BERRY (1964)
Kind of Blue- MILES DAVIS (1959)
Two Great Guitars- CHUCK BERRY (1964)
Miles Davis Quintet- MILES DAVIS (1954)
One Dozen Berrys- CHUCK BERRY (1958)
Cookin’- MILES DAVIS (1957)
Miles Davis with Sonny Rollins- MILES DAVIS (1954)
Rockin’ at the Hops- CHUCK BERRY (1960)
The Compositions of Al Cohn- MILES DAVIS (1953)
Workin’- MILES DAVIS (1959)

Ascenseur pour l’échafaud- MILES DAVIS (1958)
Water Babies- MILES DAVIS (1976)
Miles Davis Volume 2- MILES DAVIS (1953)
Relaxin’- MILES DAVIS (1958)
Round About Midnight- MILES DAVIS (1957)
Bag’s Groove- MILES DAVIS (1957)
Chuck Berry in London- CHUCK BERRY (1965)
Blue Haze- MILES DAVIS (1956)
Dig- MILES DAVIS (1956)
Jazz Track- MILES DAVIS (1958)
Miles Ahead- MILES DAVIS (1957)
Miles Davis All Stars, Volume 1- MILES DAVIS (1955)
Miles Davis All-Star Sextet- MILES DAVIS (1954)
Miles Davis Volume 3- MILES DAVIS (1954)
Miles in the Sky- MILES DAVIS (1968)
New Juke Box Hits- CHUCK BERRY (1961)
On the Corner- MILES DAVIS (1972)
Quintet / Sextet- MILES DAVIS (1956)
Sketches of Spain- MILES DAVIS (1960)
Steamin’- MILES DAVIS (1961)
The New Sounds- MILES DAVIS (1951)
Walkin’- MILES DAVIS (1957)
Young Man with a Horn- MILES DAVIS (1952)
Miles Davis and Horns- MILES DAVIS (1956)
E.S.P.- MILES DAVIS (1965)
Miles Davis Quartet- MILES DAVIS (1954)
Sorcerer- MILES DAVIS (1967)
In a Silent Way- MILES DAVIS (1969)
Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet- MILES DAVIS (1956)
Seven Steps to Heaven- MILES DAVIS (1963)

Chuck Berry’s Golden Hits- CHUCK BERRY (1967)
Filles de Kilimanjaro- MILES DAVIS (1969)
Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants- MILES DAVIS (1959)
Blue Moods- MILES DAVIS (1955)
Fresh Berry’s- CHUCK BERRY (1965)
Get Up With It- MILES DAVIS (1974)
Live – Evil- MILES DAVIS (1971)
Collector’s Items- MILES DAVIS (1956)
Aura- MILES DAVIS (1989)
Porgy and Bess- MILES DAVIS (1959)
Back Home- CHUCK BERRY (1970)
Bitches Brew- MILES DAVIS (1970)
Blue Period- MILES DAVIS (1953)
Chuck Berry in Memphis- CHUCK BERRY (1967)
Musings of Miles- MILES DAVIS (1955)
Nefertiti- MILES DAVIS (1968)
Someday My Prince Will Come- MILES DAVIS (1961)
The Man with the Horn- MILES DAVIS (1981)
The London Chuck Berry Sessions (1972)
You’re Under Arrest- MILES DAVIS (1985)
Star People- MILES DAVIS (1983)
Quiet Nights- MILES DAVIS (1963)
Desire- BOB DYLAN (1976)
Doo-Bop- MILES DAVIS (1992)
Amandla- MILES DAVIS (1989)
Mile Davis All Stars, Volume 2- MILES DAVIS (1955)
San Francisco Dues- CHUCK BERRY (1971)
Chuck Berry- CHUCK BERRY (1975)
Dingo: Selections from the Motion Picture Soundtrack- MILES DAVIS (1991)
Bio- CHUCK BERRY (1973)
Decoy- MILES DAVIS (1984)

Concerto in “B Goode”- CHUCK BERRY (1969)
Music from Siesta- MILES DAVIS (1987)
Rock It- CHUCK BERRY (1979)
Big Fun- MILES DAVIS (1974)
Tutu- MILES DAVIS (1986)

Ummagumma- PINK FLOYD (1969)
More- PINK FLOYD (1969)

My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

:clap:

You seem to like to good ol' bop, overall, compared to the period in which Miles decided to turn the music tits up.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

His Electric period had some interesting parts to it but it ended up being equal parts interesting and Weather Channel music.

Also, no offense to the late Mr. Davis, but after listening to all these albums, I've determined that I prefer jazz saxophone to jazz trumpet. Sax is just a more colorful instrument to me.
My Banners:

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”