Rainbow Album Rankings

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 30
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Rainbow Album Rankings

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think "Ísjaki" is the remarkable high of Kveikur, it's probably my second favorite track of theirs behind only "Viðrar vel til loftárása". Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust feels like a bloated caricature of Sigur Rós to me. "Ára Bátur" for example seems to follow the most typical Sigur Rós formula and it actually makes me laugh.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dom »

If only to be divisive and uncomforming...

One Direction
Made in the A.M.
Four

Take Me Home
Midnight Memories

Up All Night
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 48
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I absolutely love Sigur Rós.

( )
Ágætis byrjun
Takk...

Valtari

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Kveikur

Von
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think "Ísjaki" is the remarkable high of Kveikur, it's probably my second favorite track of theirs behind only "Viðrar vel til loftárása". Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust feels like a bloated caricature of Sigur Rós to me. "Ára Bátur" for example seems to follow the most typical Sigur Rós formula and it actually makes me laugh.
Agree about "Ísjaki" for sure, but "Brennisteinn" helps gives Kveikur an identity too. The first time I listened to the album and Brennisteinn came on as the opening track, I was like "Holy shit what's happening".

I see what you're saying about Vid spilum endalaust, it was like like they were trying for a more commercial sound. It reminds me of Jonsi's solo album, which I like quite a bit more, but I do like some of the shorter songs on there.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:Still never heard of them. Ask MP how little I've heard of them.
Exactly. :p

Seriously though, I can't ever thank Rob enough for what he did for me. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what wedding gift I would get for Daisy in anticipation of last August 8th, but nothing was good enough. I began gravitating toward a music box, but I wanted the gift to be unique to us, so I was only happy with the idea if the music box was able to play a Sigur Rós song when opened. I wasn't even sure if such a thing was possible. After some searching, I uncovered that it was, and found a willing vendor on Etsy. I backed out though after just still not feeling totally right about it; the music box sacrificed some of the elegance I desired in order for it to play Sigur Rós, but the real killer is that I wouldn't be able to get it play a particular song that I wanted.

Don't ask why or how, but "Staralfur" organically became the "our song" of our relationship, since Sigur Rós was the band that Daisy and I really bonded over. She had never heard of them before I introduced them to her, and being that music is very important to both of us, one of the first things we talked about was music, and I've shared many bands/artists with her over the years and vice versa. There was something that really struck a chord with her about Sigur Rós though, and it didn't take long before they became the band we listened to when we were together, for a while all the time. Even though Takk... is her favorite album, we both found the beauty of "Staralfur" to be a fitting 'relationship song' for us. If you'd ask either of us exactly how it happened though, I'm not sure we even know. It just sort of happened. We didn't even truthfully consider a different song for the processional for the wedding.

We saw Sigur Rós live in Detroit on April 1st, 2013, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen (which is tough to say; I've been to many good concerts over the years) in the beautiful Fox Theatre (the exact opposite of downtown Detroit, it was stunning). It definitely became one of our most treasured experiences together.

So, fast forward to my proposal; I spent months agonizing over how I would do it. In the end, I decided to capitalize on the one thing unique to us, Sigur Rós, and I bought Ágætis byrjun on vinyl, since we had talked about getting their records on vinyl before -- but hadn't yet, since most of them are either relatively or ridiculously expensive. At first I wanted Takk..., since that was her favorite album, but it was way more expensive and realized that Ágætis byrjun made more sense given that it contained "Staralfur". Anyway, my proposal was pretty simple, but I ordered the vinyl without her, taped the ring box real good to the album cover, then stuck it back in the shipping box as if I hadn't opened it. I knew she was off work on a particular Saturday (July 26, 2014), and wanted to surprise her then because I knew we'd have some time alone, and had a whole evening planned (dinner, etc.) thereafter. Long story short, she loved it, and awesomely she had planned a surprise for me that same day; I hadn't thought I was going to see some of my friends (Draconus, Russtifinko in particular) again before leaving for San Antonio a week or so later, especially with Russtifinko having recently moved to Cleveland, so she surprised me with them coming over... anyway, that's a different story, so I won't continue further along that path. It turned out to be the perfect proposal day, even if my plans for after the proposal were completely altered.

All the more reason I wanted the wedding gift to have to similarly reflect our history with Sigur Rós. After backing out of the music box idea, and mulling for a few days, I had a sudden idea. Knowing Rob for almost a decade now (crazy to say), and thinking specifically of his most recent Christmas gift for Roxy in the gift exchange where he covered some of her favorite bands, I knew the man could write, and more importantly, cover music really well. I thought, if only there was some way to recapture that night when we saw Sigur Rós live in concert, but to put a new refreshing twist on it... and I approached Rob with the idea of covering literally the entire setlist (plus "Staralfur" as the final bonus track, since they didn't play that live when we saw them). He was hesitant at first, especially given his relative unfamiliarity with the band (he had heard ( ) years ago but it didn't make an impression), but being the friend he is, agreed to it.

The resulting gift literally was the best possible outcome I could have asked for, blowing away the already very high expectations I had for Rob's musical abilities. And Daisy absolutely loved (and still loves, of course) the gift, and couldn't believe it when I told her at the wedding with CD in hand. I really couldn't be more thankful for the way that it worked out, and according to Rob, he gained an appreciation for the band in the process, so who could have asked for anything better? :D

Anyway, that's the story of Rob, Sigur Rós, and my relationship/wedding. :guitar:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

:clap: Awesome story, Alex.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Turnip Head wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think "Ísjaki" is the remarkable high of Kveikur, it's probably my second favorite track of theirs behind only "Viðrar vel til loftárása". Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust feels like a bloated caricature of Sigur Rós to me. "Ára Bátur" for example seems to follow the most typical Sigur Rós formula and it actually makes me laugh.
Agree about "Ísjaki" for sure, but "Brennisteinn" helps gives Kveikur an identity too. The first time I listened to the album and Brennisteinn came on as the opening track, I was like "Holy shit what's happening".

I see what you're saying about Vid spilum endalaust, it was like like they were trying for a more commercial sound. It reminds me of Jonsi's solo album, which I like quite a bit more, but I do like some of the shorter songs on there.
Brennisteinn also got me hyped, but then the rest felt :sigh: . I'll have to revisit for Ísjaki, I don't recall it being boners.

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is like cut in two, I think. The first half is like SR breaks character, but despite goofy, Animal Collective-esque tracks like the opener, I still especially like stuff the Inni meeny diiny dainy whatever second track. Very upbeat and energizing. Then, Festival onwards, it almost slips back into Takk-like comfy slippers and, whilst that puts it on an inferior spot than Takk, it's still comfy slippers moody listening time.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Dom wrote:If only to be divisive and uncomforming...

One Direction
Made in the A.M.
Four

Take Me Home
Midnight Memories

Up All Night
I've never heard of this band.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Epignosis »

:beer:

I had a lot of fun on that project (and frustration at times, often due to my own shortcomings or technical mishaps), but it helped me tremendously in terms of arrangements and "sound chasing."

Alex and Annie's wedding was a special time for our family, getting to meet so many wonderful people for the first time ever, and all around having a good time.

Here's a few tracks for you, if you're curious.

"Sæglópur"

"Brennisteinn"

And my favorite, "Hrafntinna"
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Oh my heck... !!!
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Epignosis »

That's Eloh on vocals, by the way.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:That's Eloh on vocals, by the way.
You bet, I should have mentioned how much I appreciate Tasha's contributions as well. Really awesome. :beer:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Great story, MP. I feel like I know you, Daisy, and Epi a little better than before after having read it. Thanks for sharing. :beer:

I also have a [much much much less meaningful] story about Sigur Rós.

The first album of theirs that I heard was ( ). And for about a year or two, I hated it. It had one of my lowest RYM ratings, and I wrote a review dubbing it the most boring thing I had ever heard in my life. This was a disappointment to me, because prior to listening to them I had anticipated liking them a lot. They were held in high regard by people with similar tastes to my own, and the general concept of the band sounded very interesting. It was because of those initial expectations that I continued listening even though I found it so miserably boring, like I was trying to force myself to like it more. It wasn't happening though, at least not until I branched out to Ágætis byrjun. There was very distinct moment when my perspective of Sigur Rós completely changed, and I talked about it a while back in a list I made for my favorite songs ever in an entry for "Viðrar vel til loftárása":
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I needed to spend a lot of time and energy towards the effort of making Sigur Rós enjoyable. The pursuit might be called wasteful and pointless by many, understandably, but for a song as pleasurable as Viðrar vel til loftárása I am extremely glad I did it. The piano melody alone is enough to make this song a nice listen, but it's the buildup to and arrival at one of the most orgasmic climaxes I know of that makes this song so great. The turning point for my perception of Sigur Rós came on an airplane, as I listened to Viðrar vel til loftárása on my ipod. I was staring out the window, only half awake. The timing and movement of the aircraft were perfect so that at the very moment the song's climax came to my ears, the sun appeared within my view. My spine is still recovering from the quake of shivers.
It's corny, but it's true. Ever since then, I suddenly loved nearly everything in their discography -- including the untitled album I had previously hated so much. It was like I had unlocked a secret level in a video game or something. :P
Last edited by JaggedJimmyJay on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: orgasmic climaxes
:scared:

I love stories like that one Jay. There are some songs where I remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when I fell in love with it.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Turnip Head wrote:
I was in a big hurry to get off of that plane.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Who wants to join me in doing a Frank Zappa rainbow list including all live, studio, compilation, collaberation, xenochronic, posthumous, EP, cover, arranged, conducted, bootleg, remastered, rereleased, unofficial, and contributed albums?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Here's a comprehensive rainbow list for all of the Zappa albums I have listened to:

Hot Rats

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I have a few favorites.

Hot Rats is not that great.

Some of the rest are good.

Some of the rest are bad.

Some of the rest are really awful.

I don't do posthumous in general, because I don't like dead musicians' music being milked on for years afterwards. Maybe if we're talking super-groovy archival stuff.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Belle and Sebastian:

If You're Feeling Sinister
Dear Catastrophe Waitress

Tigermilk
The Boy With the Arab Strap

The Life Pursuit
Write About Love
Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant
Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance

This is Just a Modern Rock Song
3.. 6.. 9.. Seconds of Light
Dog on Wheels
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Johnathan David

I'm Waking Up to Us
Books

Storytelling

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

oh god no. I've barely listened to one or two. I'm also a nerdtraveller, so when I was in London last year, I put their Barbican live album on headphones while I visited that area. It was actually a pretty great album.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I would karaoke much more often if anyone had B&S or Crowded House. :disappoint:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I would rather die than karaoke, except if I'm Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. Which I'm not. Or never will be.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I hate going to karaoke bars, but I love singing. I'm talentless, but it always makes me feel good.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Golden »

Turnip Head wrote:

I love stories like that one Jay.
:faint:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Anyway, back to Sigur Ros, if you thought that was corny, wait till see below.

So ( ) is one of my island discs. Better yet one of my mountain discs - more on that in the next paragraph. I don't have many of them, but ( ) is definitely one of them. I doubt it was coup de foudre, but it doesn't even matter anymore. I have no recollection of it past the point in which it became one of my favourite albums ever. The only SR album I tend to be contrarian about is Ágætis byrjun. I think it's overrated and I think ( ) is a perfect evolution from it. The moment my strong connection with ( ) was established was when I identified it with themes that, for better or worse, are close to me: melancholia, loneliness, detachment, trance or, and here's where the last track really helps in a big way, catharsis. Incidentally, I prefer the paranthesis and untitled format to the alternative track names as well, because it inspires "lack of identity" or "outer body / outer concept" stuff. Of course, I have no background knowledge into what SR tried to express through this album and it doesn't matter. Music is ours to see something in it or give an interpretation to.

My strongest recollection of forming a bond with this album was one summer holiday, when I was younger and I went with my parents at a cabin belonging to one of my uncles, that he happily shared with us, up in the mountains - hi, if you skipped the earlier paragraph all the way here. I don't remember being in my finest state at that time, but that's not actually my point. What I distinctly remember is that, as we drove up to the cabin and I played the album, the music suddenly clicked to me. The vocals, the harmonies, the minimal loop-like themes - they're all fairly volatile and ephemeral per se, but in my subconcious they lit everything on fire.

Then, at the cabin, an even greater moment, probably the defining one for me, happened one evening. JJJ spoke to us, using a different song from a different album, of the sun. I'd like to speak to you of the dusk. Because I listened to the entire ( ) whilst sitting outside in the garden, quite alone, lying in the grass or walking around and watching the sun fade behind a prominent hill, full of trees, to my right. One visual reference I could use in support of this is Ulver's Bergtatt cover (which, incidentally, I like way more than I should ever admit in public). Anyway, the view was stunning, the sunset was gorgeous and slow and entrancing, my emotions were both still and trembling, I was both at piece and drifting. Together with the music it was the perfect synthesis.

What for some may constitute boring in ( ), it is unity for me, although Untitled #8 also plays a key part in (finally?) offering some heavy contrast. Its build up and climax I would moreover associate with (musical/artistic) celebration (and, as I've said two paragraphs earlier, sheer catharsis). In the Heima DVD, they film it played at a concert, out on a field, with both fans and simple people gathering to listen to them, and it's quite the perfect message. Togetherness.

I feel the need to add that, 10 months ago when someone decided to depart and leave me rather lone in whatever is in store in life, ( ) was among five albums I could muster to listen to after that day of departure. I associated them with the five stages. ( ) stood for Depression. Again, it's not exactly medicine, but I have the tendency to embrace and amplify my moods, especially via musical sources.

---

Also, back on that cabin holiday, I swear I remember listening to Godspeed's Lift Yr Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven on another evening and the neighbours started a bonfire that ended up, like, 3 meters tall, while I was hearing chants of destruction and displeasure in my ears. I don't even.

Speaking of

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
F♯ A♯ ∞

'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
Yanqui U.X.O.

'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress'
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

It's funny you say that, Jay, I had a similar initial issue with Sigur Rós way back when, then suddenly they clicked BIG TIME for me when I tried listening to ( ) again on a whim.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Who wants to join me in doing a Frank Zappa rainbow list including all live, studio, compilation, collaberation, xenochronic, posthumous, EP, cover, arranged, conducted, bootleg, remastered, rereleased, unofficial, and contributed albums?
Me! Me!

This will take a lot of thought though, which I'm not currently capable of.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I would karaoke much more often if anyone had B&S or Crowded House. :disappoint:
Both great bands from my experience, but I'm not familiar enough with all of their output to rainbow them, since I've only heard a couple of albums from each.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Who wants to join me in doing a Frank Zappa rainbow list including all live, studio, compilation, collaberation, xenochronic, posthumous, EP, cover, arranged, conducted, bootleg, remastered, rereleased, unofficial, and contributed albums?
Me! Me!

Here is a Frank Zappa quiz to see if you can name all of the albums. I made it a couple years ago. :P

Yes, there are currently 141 of them (that I know of). :scared:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Nice story, Rico. :D
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Me! Me!

Here is a Frank Zappa quiz to see if you can name all of the albums. I made it a couple years ago. :P

Yes, there are currently 141 of them (that I know of). :scared:
You've showed me this before! I can't remember what my score was though.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Agaetis byrjun is one of my all-time favorite albums. I honestly cannot express in words how much I love every bit of that album. To me it is perfect. Absolutely some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. I could never get tired of it.

I also like Takk and Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (what a cumbersome title). I guess I appreciate ( ) but it just doesn't stand out to me in the shadow of Agaetis Byrjun, and it gets kinda repetitive.
Heck yeah I love Ísjaki. That and Rafstraumur are the highlights from Kveikur imo.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

nutella wrote:Agaetis byrjun is one of my all-time favorite albums. I honestly cannot express in words how much I love every bit of that album.
I cannot express in words even what the actual name of the album is.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by G-Man »

Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles!

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Revolver

Abbey Road
A Hard Day's Night
Please Please Me

Magical Mystery Tour
Help!
Rubber Soul
The Beatles (White Album)

Beatles for Sale
Let It Be
With the Beatles

Yellow Submarine

And here's Pink Floyd and The Beatles ranked together:
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- THE BEATLES (1967)
Revolver- THE BEATLES (1966)
The Dark Side of the Moon- PINK FLOYD (1973)

Abbey Road- THE BEATLES (1969)
Wish You Were Here- PINK FLOYD (1975)
A Hard Day's Night- THE BEATLES (1964)
Please Please Me- THE BEATLES (1963)

Magical Mystery Tour- THE BEATLES (1967)
Help!- THE BEATLES (1965)
Rubber Soul- THE BEATLES (1965)
The Beatles (White Album)- THE BEATLES (1968)
A Saucerful of Secrets- PINK FLOYD (1968)
The Wall- PINK FLOYD (1979)
Meddle- PINK FLOYD (1971)

Beatles for Sale- THE BEATLES (1964)
Let It Be- THE BEATLES (1970)
With the Beatles- THE BEATLES (1963)
Ummagumma (Live Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)

Yellow Submarine- THE BEATLES (1969)

Obscured by Clouds- PINK FLOYD (1972)
Animals- PINK FLOYD (1977)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason- PINK FLOYD (1987)
Atom Heart Mother- PINK FLOYD (1970)
Ummagumma (Combined)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
The Division Bell- PINK FLOYD (1994)
More- PINK FLOYD (1969)

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn- PINK FLOYD (1967)
The Endless River- PINK FLOYD (2014)
The Final Cut- PINK FLOYD (1983)

Ummagumma (Studio Tracks)- PINK FLOYD (1969)
Next week I'll tackle the Rolling Stones.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by thellama73 »

Hey everyone, let's do my favorite band, Nurse With Wound!

Spiral Insana
Shipwreck Radio Vol. 1
The Memory Surface
Lofoten Deadhead
Gulls Just Wanna Have Fun
Man With the Woman Face
Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion
Surveillance Lounge

Merzbild Schwet
Homotopy to Marie
A Sucked Orange
Scrag
Solilloquy For Lillith
Shipwreck Radio Vol. 2

Gylleskold
Exctotoxicity
Alice the Goon
Thunder Perfect Mind

Cabbalism
Parade
Automating Volume 3
Creakiness and other Misdemeanors
Chromonatron

Diploid
Crumb Duck
Insect and Individual Silenced
Salt Marie Celeste
Echo Poem Sequence 2
Mutation
Live at Bar Maldoror
Rat Tapes One
Disconnected
Space Music
Ød Lot
Soundpooling
May the Fleas of a Thousand Camels Infest Your Armpits
Stereo Wastelands
Shipwreck Radio Final Broadcasts

Drunk With the Old Man of the Mountains
The Iron Soul of Nothing
Lumb's Sister
Terms and Conditions Apply
Angry Eelectric Finger Zero Mix
Angry Eelectric Finger Spitch'cock One
Angry Eelectric Finger 1
Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella

Erroneous: a Selection of Errors
Large Ladies with Cake in the Oven
Paranoia in Hi-Fi
An Awkward Pause
Huffin' Rag Blues
Second Pirate Session
Chance Meeting Between a Defective Tape Machine and a Migraine
Rupture

She and Me Fall Together in Free Death
Rock 'n Roll Station
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I feel like I have more NWW albums than that. Maybe I missed some. Oh well.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Uh oh. G-Man is combining things. Soon it's going to compel me to do a single rainbow rank of 'everything on my ipod'.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by G-Man »

Golden wrote:Uh oh. G-Man is combining things. Soon it's going to compel me to do a single rainbow rank of 'everything on my ipod'.
I wonder how long it will take for me to hit the posting character limit. :ponder:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Relistened to Kveikur today. Now that the 2013 (#omgthatwasthreeyearsagoI'msooldanddyiiiing) new album letdown effect wore off, I find it respectable, but still weaker than the rest. Brennisteinn still burns and I can sort of see why Ísjaki would stick out as memorable, although I can also get nitpicky with it (like some counterpoint instrumentation and stuff). The rest still wears off with the echo, methinks, except for maybe Stormur, in which in regular music would count as balls-grabbed awkward falsetto, but since it's Nordic-with-a-bit-of-folksy-yearning-feel-to-it Sigur Ros, I guess that makes it better. Some of the last tracks really have a pop vibe overall that doesn't even resemble SR's core groove.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I get to see Magma in concert this Sunday in Austin (something I never thought would ever happen). I haven't listened to them much in a while, but today starts my marathon in anticipation, so I think I'll be shooting up a Magma rainbow at some point this week. So Magma fans, I'm intrigued to see what your rainbows would look like. I need to relisten before even thinking about my rainbow though, because it's been a few years now since I listened to them religiously.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I am not much of a Magma fan, but that's pretty damn cool.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I get to see Magma in concert this Sunday in Austin (something I never thought would ever happen). I haven't listened to them much in a while, but today starts my marathon in anticipation, so I think I'll be shooting up a Magma rainbow at some point this week. So Magma fans, I'm intrigued to see what your rainbows would look like. I need to relisten before even thinking about my rainbow though, because it's been a few years now since I listened to them religiously.
Hmm I would roughly say - I don't remember how half of this stuff sounds. My top 3-5 is solid, though.

Polo definitely needs to come reply to this.

K.A (Köhntarkösz Anteria)
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Theusz Hamtaahk - Trilogie

Köhntarkösz

Ëmëhntëhtt-Rê
Hhaï_Live
Retrospektïw I-II

Attahk
Retrospektïw III
Magma-Kobaïa
Üdü Wüdü

Christian Vander - Wurdah Ïtah
Riah Sahiltaahk

1001° Centigrades
Félicité Thösz

Merci

Not gonna rank the Akts, some are awful, some are ok.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
F♯ A♯ ∞

Yanqui U.X.O.

Mine:
F♯ A♯ ∞
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Yanqui U.X.O.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Magma

Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

Theusz Hamtaahk - Trilogie
K.A (Köhntarkösz Anteria)
Köhntarkösz

Hhaï_Live
Attahk
Üdü Wüdü

1001° Centigrades
Magma-Kobaïa
Christian Vander - Wurdah Ïtah
Ëmëhntëhtt-Rê

Retrospektïw I-II
Félicité Thösz

Retrospektïw III

Merci
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

In remembrance of the recently deceased Phife Dawg, and because A Tribe Called Quest not only produced one of my "desert island albums" but also remains my all-time favorite hip hop group, here's a ATCQ rainbow.

A Tribe Called Quest

The Low End Theory

Midnight Marauders
People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

Beats, Rhyme, & Life
The Love Movement
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I only TLET and MM and they're both great, but I still have to develop a real bond* with the 90s West Coast, the way I've been fukin with some of today's artists.

*err by that I mean immerse myself, it's not like I can actually form a "real" bond with that gen's music and statements
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:A Tribe Called Quest

The Low End Theory

Midnight Marauders

Beats, Rhyme, & Life
The Love Movement
Mine is the same except I'd probably give The Love Movement an uglier color. RIP Phife.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:A Tribe Called Quest

The Low End Theory

Midnight Marauders

Beats, Rhyme, & Life
The Love Movement
Mine is the same except I'd probably give The Love Movement an uglier color. RIP Phife.
Understandably, it's definitely the worst one; I have a soft spot for it though. All of their material is so good.
Polo
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Polo »

K.A

Retrospektiw I-II
Köhntarkösz

Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
MDK
Zühn Wöhl Ünsaï

Slag Tanz
Attahk
Udu Wudu
1001º Centigrades and the Riah Sahiltaahk re-recording
Live/Hhaï

Kobaïa (debut)
Merci

Félicité Thosz

None of these recordings ever came close to topping the only Magma show I've been to, at the LGW? Festival in the Netherlands last year which I attended with the missus. We were two to three feet from the middle of the stage and Zebehn Straihn de Geustaah played like a goddamn monster. God bless that mad, mad man.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”