Evaluating Music

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Evaluating Music

Post by Epignosis »

I still don't like Pawn Hearts. Every few years I give it another spin to see if it has grown on me. Nope. Never.

H to He is where it's at. And Wave to Each Other.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: I thought we had similar music taste. :sigh:

:p
We do, but you gave Pawn Hearts one star, so I have to tease you about it.
I definitely don't agree with that now. I prefer Still Life and Godbluff, but Pawn Hearts would get a solid 3 from me now, I suspect. I'd need to give it a fresh listen though; it's been at least a year or two since I've heard it.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 21

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:I still don't like Pawn Hearts. Every few years I give it another spin to see if it has grown on me. Nope. Never.

I'm actually with you on this. I like Pawn Hearts okay, but those other two are much better.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ricochet »

thellama73 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:I still don't like Pawn Hearts. Every few years I give it another spin to see if it has grown on me. Nope. Never.

I'm actually with you on this. I like Pawn Hearts okay, but those other two are much better.
I dislike agreeing with Llama, so I'll agree with Epignosis instead. H to He is masterliness.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So I started rating albums today. If any of you all actually care about following along whenever, here's my RYM page.

I decided to start the morning/ratings process with two of my all-time favorites, first my namesake, then its chronological follow-up (Signals), which set the tone for high-ranking albums (5.0 and 4.5 respectively). I don't intend on giving out 5-star ratings more than very seldom.

My rating scale is:
5.0 -- pinnacle of musical perfection
4.5 -- mindblowingly stunning
4.0 -- thoroughly outstanding
3.5 -- solidly awesome
3.0 -- marginally enjoyable
2.5 -- epitome of unimpressive
2.0 -- somewhat repulsive
1.5 -- waste of sound waves
1.0 -- horrendously putrid garbage
0.5 -- anti-music destroyer of ears

Listened to 11 albums today. It was a good day for music since I listened to a few of my current/all-time favorite bands (Rush, Fishmans, The Jesus and Mary Chain), but also a handful of releases that are relatively new to me that ended up in the "marginally enjoyable" range. Over the weekend I'm going to try to make sure to throw in plenty of music that's brand new to my collection as well.

2017 is going to be a year of musical discovery as much as possible, in stark contrast to how it's been for me since I started the PhD program. Very much looking forward to revisit old favorites and new material with this rating process.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Don't you find the gap between 2.5 and 3.0 to be rather larger than in any other case?
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:Don't you find the gap between 2.5 and 3.0 to be rather larger than in any other case?
You mean based on my text descriptions? I'm not the best with words, but nonetheless wanted to convey them rather than just numerical ratings alone. I also struggle to come up with a record that would fall in between those two categories off the top of my head.

Not sure though. It's naturally a work in progress and may benefit from some fine tuning. I'm happy with the numerical ratings I gave today though, just haven't maybe nailed down the accompanying text descriptions.

Random speculation... perhaps "marginally enjoyable" would be better. I think I'll change it to that.

EDIT: Yep, it is. Changed. Thanks for the observation.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Having finally received an exceptionally delayed shipment from England, my belated review of Robert Waytt's "Rock Bottom" has been posted. There should be no more such interruptions for several months, until I hit the next out of print album on the list, at least.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

The Top 100 Albums of the 1970s keeps right on truckin' with #97, The Harder They Come.

Glorfindel
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glorfindel »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually I'll take one thing back: there is nothing good about popular country music. All of it is bad. Every song.
Shame on you, Jay :disappoint:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Glorfindel is always nicer than a puppy.

Golden wrote: I agree. Let glorf be glorf.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Rolling right along, this week's review is for Iggy Pop's The Idiot.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I prefer Disc 2 of Physical Graffiti.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I prefer Disc 2 of Physical Graffiti.
That's an extremely interesting preference.

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think 'Ten Years Gone' is the best Led Zeppelin song, the end. 'Night Flight' is among my favorite lyrical accomplishments of theirs. I think 'In the Light' is more interesting than 'In My Time of Dying'. 'Sick Again' is one of my favorite Page riffs. 'Down by the Seaside' never fails to hit the spot. 'Black Country Woman' and 'Boogie With Stu' don't offer much, but I appreciate efforts at diversity.

I hate 'Trampled Under Foot' which drags down Disc 1. 'Kashmir' is great for the first five minutes. 'The Rover' is probably my favorite on that disc.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Oversteps is the best Autechre album. Discuss.

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ricochet »

thellama73 wrote:Oversteps is the best Autechre album. Discuss.
No.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:Oversteps is the best Autechre album. Discuss.
It's in my top 5. :grin:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

On the way home, I tuned into the middle of a song on the classic rock radio station. It had a sound that felt familiar but I couldn't quite place it. It was an instrumental part that was great. As I got closer to home, I began hoping for the singing to return or for the song to end and the DJ say what it was. The instrumental sounded similar to good/early Black Sabbath but I could tell it wasn't them. I was loving it!

Then the singer came in. Freaking Geddy Lee. :disappoint:

When it comes to music, I'm a sum-of-all-parts kind of guy. Amazing how a vocalist can take me from :guitar: to :|

But you Rush fans can take heart in the fact that their music at least appealed to me in a vacuum.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm On the way home, I tuned into the middle of a song on the classic rock radio station. It had a sound that felt familiar but I couldn't quite place it. It was an instrumental part that was great. As I got closer to home, I began hoping for the singing to return or for the song to end and the DJ say what it was. The instrumental sounded similar to good/early Black Sabbath but I could tell it wasn't them. I was loving it!

Then the singer came in. Freaking Geddy Lee. :disappoint:

When it comes to music, I'm a sum-of-all-parts kind of guy. Amazing how a vocalist can take me from :guitar: to :|

But you Rush fans can take heart in the fact that their music at least appealed to me in a vacuum.
What piece was it?
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

"Working Man"
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ella Fitzgerald's version of my favorite jazz piece, "Stella by Starlight."

I can never get enough.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

So for whatever reason, I'v been listening to Rush's "Working Man" quite a bit lately. It's only one song but I've come to appreciate Geddy Lee's vocals on the track. They work well with the down-tuned sort of Black Sabbath sound the song possesses. If I didn't have so much catch-up listening to do, I might actually listen to the whole album.

Can any of you Rush fans tell me when Rush ditched the Sabbath sound for the lighter fare they play on classic rock radio?
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”