Evaluating Music

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 6

Evaluating Music

Post by G-Man »

We've got a pretty diverse group of music lovers here, so I am curious what you all look for in music when you evaluate it critically. What in your background informs your opinion of what good music sounds like? I think everyone starts out with biases based on when they grew up, what they grew up listening to, and what types of music they were told was bad by their parents.

For me, my understanding of "good music" keeps evolving as I discover and listen to more stuff. My parents were young (I'm 32 and my dad will turn 53 this year, my mom will be 51), so I listened to some different things growing up. My mom grew up listening to 70s pop (the good kind, not the hippie leftover stuff from the early 70s) and liked a little disco and dancy 80s music. My dad was something of a rebel, listening to a lot of punk rock and new wave in high school and his lone semester of college. He also liked some more sophisticated stuff like Queen, The Police, and Talking Heads. The big impact of all this is that neither of my parents cared for the hair band music that dominated the mid- to late 80s that my generation was handed as supposedly nostalgic leftovers.

According to my dad, I grew up at the point in the rock n roll cycle where rock stopped sucking for a while. My dad was young enough to embrace the grunge rock of Nirvana and Soundgarden (though not so much for Pearl Jam) and the post-grunge rock of the rest of the 90s (Green Day, Foo Fighters, Offspring, etc.). As a result of this 'programming,' I tend to favor music that has a snappy beat, an edge, and some kind of hook to it. A lot of times I find myself listening to simpler, straightforward rock n roll. As my dad used to say- get my feet tapping or get off my stereo.

As I've branched out to different genres, I've come to appreciate slower non-classical music. Some of my college friends tried to turn me on to jazz music but I still haven't broken through there. A Charlie Brown Christmas is still the only jazz album I own. Maybe you guys can help me on this one because I've read about a lot of bands and musicians that I like getting inspired by jazz but I struggle to hear much variety in it.

I tend not to analyze lyrics too much, though if the lyrics are juvenile, or overtly preachy, obscene or silly, it can take me out of the song. If the lyrics don't pull me out of the groove, I usually just listen to the vocals as if they were another instrument in the song. If the singer sucks or the vocals clash with the rest of the music, it counts against the song as a whole. I can forgive a low-quality recording as long as all the components sound good together but everything has to fit together or it bugs me.

I like to think that I have a good ear for pretentious music but I could be wrong. It has something to do with the delivery. Oftentimes it seems to me that pretentious musicians overproduce their work and try to shove five gallons of crap in a three gallon bucket.

So what do you guys look for in music and what aspects do you use to evaluate songs/albums?
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Evaluating Music

Post by Epignosis »

Do I like it?

Yes?

Then it's good music. :slick:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes, but what qualities of the music tell you that it is good? Some people take music at face value and others go all nitty-gritty about things like chord progression and rhythmic complexity. Where do you fall in?
My Banners:
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Golden »

I think it is probably something about chord progression, melody and harmonics, instrumentation, rhythm, and possibly how unique a choice feels. When vocals are included, timbre can make a difference.

Sometimes where other people here pretentiousness I hear something really beautiful. I don't think there is any objective standard there. But for me to enjoy something experimental it needs to still conform to some kind of basic shape that I recognise as having a melodic structure of some kind, probably. I guess how you might try and make an objective definition of how pretentious feels as a listener is 'choices are made for the sake of showing you can make those choices'. I'm going to enjoy music more if I feel the decisions made were organic and heartfelt. Sometimes things that others find 'over-produced' I feel like have been given such thoughtful care.

I find my taste is very eclectic, because I think there is great and average in every genre. Even the most vapid and meaningless of pop music includes some great works.

Interesting that you made no real mention of classical music given your ownership of the Star Wars soundtracks...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote:Do I like it?

Yes?

Then it's good music. :slick:
Yep. That's it.
G-Man wrote:Yes, but what qualities of the music tell you that it is good? Some people take music at face value and others go all nitty-gritty about things like chord progression and rhythmic complexity. Where do you fall in?
For me this is a question without an answer. There is no single characteristic which makes music good or bad to me. I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as objective goodness or badness in any form of art, and that means all of the measurable standards cannot by nature define what makes something good. My favorite music is all over the spectrum of genres, because I think every genre boasts really awesome and really grating stuff (much like Golden said).

If there are any trends in my preferences at all, it'd probably be:

~ I struggle to appreciate most metal music, especially metal with guttural or screechy vocals, because it often seems childish to me.

~ I appreciate songwriting virtuosity much more than technical virtuosity. I don't give a flying eff how "well" someone plays a guitar, I care about how well they write guitar music. Even that is still subjective though.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Actually I'll take one thing back: there is nothing good about popular country music. All of it is bad. Every song.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JJ's posts are art, but objectively bad art. :p
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 4

Post by S~V~S »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually I'll take one thing back: there is nothing good about popular country music. All of it is bad. Every song.
100%

G-Man, I am the same age as your parents. I was full on into punk, growing up right outside of NYC at an exciting time when you could hear the Ramones in a bar. I was the first person I knew with a pierced nose, and green hair. I hated 70's pop, 80's hair bands, the Eagles. I like rebellion music. Still, at my age. The Revolution Will not be Televised.

I like angst, I like dark. I LOVE Joy Division, I love Curtis' voice, the dark of it. I also love Bjork, which is a very different sound. She is the only female singer I really like, because her voice is amazing, I have never heard anyone like her. I like some 80's new wave (soft spot for TFF). Favorite band Pink Floyd, favorite male singer, Neil Young. Lots of people say they are eclectic, but I really am. I like the voice, instrumentals leave me cold. The exception is classical, predominantly Bach for me. I also like some opera.

I like songs about loss more than about love. I love Morrissey, pitiful as that might make me, lol.

I think the main reason I have the taste I do is that I did not ossify musically in high school like so many do. I kept listening and liking what I heard. I used to prefer Pearl Jam in the 90's, but now I prefer Nirvana. But mostly from that scene, I like the Meat Puppets. I am the oldest of 6, spread out over 20 years, so having much younger siblings helps.

I don't know much about technical aspects, like chord progressions.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

What does ossify mean?
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Literally, it means to turn into bone. Figuratively it means to stop growing, to throw a coat of lacquer on your opinion/tastes, never update them and call it good.

How many people do you know whose musical taste coincides with their high school years? Quite a few, I would think. I don't think most of us here are like that, but out in the rl, yeah, they're legion :)
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:Literally, it means to turn into bone. Figuratively it means to stop growing, to throw a coat of lacquer on your opinion/tastes, never update them and call it good.

How many people do you know whose musical taste coincides with their high school years? Quite a few, I would think. I don't think most of us here are like that, but out in the rl, yeah, they're legion :)
You're probably right. And probably not only musical taste, you know?

But yeah, my musical taste definitely changes. I mean, if I really love something chances are I will never stop liking it. But, I'm always finding new things I like that I didn't expect.
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Enrique »

If it has a 3.50+ RYM average then it's probably good. :nicenod:
ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ricochet »

A tiny bit of music that's been made is the elixir of gods (or as he took form nowadays, Klaus Schulze), the rest of bad. Metal belongs entirely to the latter. The patrician has spoken.

10 years ago, on PA, I probably would have spent 3 hours writing an elaborate bad take on the subject. Now I'll dedicate just half an hour for something less elaborate (if only by one or two paragraphes) and just as bad. Ok, one hour.

I'd imagine that to "evaluate critically" would literally imply to be a music critic, and even then to know well not just how to appreciate the music, but also its makers, the genre and period details, the musical scene and interactions, etc. Outside this area, it's all quite subjective in what music we like and why. I lack profoundly the mentioned "critical" qualities. In fact, my love for music is quite inversely proportional to knowing in detail about the artists, the composers, the scene, the compositional details or even being a concertgoer and having bonded with real musicians much. :sigh:

So, on to what music I subjectively like, I'll follow G-Man's train of thoughts a fair bit. My father in particular influenced me to grow up listening and embracing classical, then rock, electronic, jazz. Apart from the former, I strangely did my best to reject the others before irremediably falling for 'em. My dad would say "pay attention to this next track, tell me if you've ever heard something like it before", it being King Crimson's Moonchild and me going "meh". Years later, I'd heavily defend the track in PA threads in which at least three quarters would meh it. Of course, his taste was limited to what he liked himself the most in his youth: hard rock, prog rock, some jazz, folk. Still I'd say it's pretty solid. He is quite certain that Bach's Cello Suites is the best music ever written. I have my own answers to such a question, but I'll admit it's a hard one to argue against.

Anyway, I followed him more or less on the same path at first, becoming a sort of retroactive listener - never in touch with my own time, always embracing the past. I'd say that I liked the most music that was eclectic, complex written, deeply textured or esoteric. Only late in my adolescence did I embrace on my own or influenced by new friends a lot more genres, most of them counting as experimental and modern, some being guilty pleasures on the pop/indie spectrum that evolved into keeping a certain interest. A friend noted that even here I'm attracted by the richly or quirky textured music rather than the formulaic stuff and it's pretty accurate.

So overall if the music tends to be rich, intellectual, fascinating, entracing or of particular sensibility, it's usually right up my alley. Pretentious, cryptic, of acquired taste works too. The biggest issues I face are trying out too many things and hardly staying fascinated even by half of the music I would call good, with the passing of time.

What I either suck at evaluating or don't care much about would be the following: lyrics and actual context, meaning behind them; musical form and internal logic, which, given my music skills, should almost count as a sin; audiophile qualities of the recording.

Welp, that amounted to a whole lot of nothing.
Golden wrote:Interesting that you made no real mention of classical music given your ownership of the Star Wars soundtracks...
Laments lack of classical mentions, yet only references one John Williams schlager. Erm.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

@Rico - well over 50% of my music collection is classical. I attended the New Zealand School of Music alongside doing my law degree. It's an area of passion to me, that it would easily be an entirely different thread.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Golden wrote:@Rico - well over 50% of my music collection is classical. I attended the New Zealand School of Music alongside doing my law degree. It's an area of passion to me, that it would easily be an entirely different thread.
Ooh. :beer:

Most of my faculty colleagues tried a law degree besides attending the School of Music. Y'know, putting life into perspective. :haha:
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Ricochet wrote:
Golden wrote:@Rico - well over 50% of my music collection is classical. I attended the New Zealand School of Music alongside doing my law degree. It's an area of passion to me, that it would easily be an entirely different thread.
Ooh. :beer:

Most of my faculty colleagues tried a law degree besides attending the School of Music. Y'know, putting life into perspective. :haha:
It's surprising how frequently the two do go together.

I periodically play in an orchestra of lawyers that performs with a choir of lawyers.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:The biggest issues I face are trying out too many things and hardly staying fascinated even by half of the music I would call good, with the passing of time.
I do this lots too.

I can't say what it is in music that makes me like it. I guess one thing that drives me is a search for new things, something to excite my sonic palette. I don't really evaluate music by chord progression and boring stuff like that. I don't know much about it anyway. My appreciation seems to keep expanding, I used to not like extreme metal with harsh vocals, or hip-hop that is mainstream (weird hip-hop was cool tho) but over time I grew to like those things. I guess the only thing that really impedes my ability to get into music is when it feels too "simple" or commercial. Blues/blues-based stuff is not really my thing.

Also, what I am in the mood for can change quite a lot, and that means that something I would love otherwise is just annoying at the moment. So I don't have very many "all time" favorites or anything like that. I just have what I am listening to at the moment.

Also if it annoys Vic I have a higher chance of liking it :)
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I don't like to evaluate music critically. I like lists and comparing different albums based on preference. But I much less so enjoy taking a piece on its own and deciding what's good and bad about it. I have no interest in critiquing music I don't like and can only rave about the music I do like. I would do such a thing when describing it to a friend or acquaintance, but not for my own leisure.

I know what I like, and I like what I know. :workit:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I don't like to evaluate music critically. I like lists and comparing different albums based on preference. But I much less so enjoy taking a piece on its own and deciding what's good and bad about it. I have no interest in critiquing music I don't like and can only rave about the music I do like. I would do such a thing when describing it to a friend or acquaintance, but not for my own leisure.

:beer:

What's good music, and what's bad music?

But I tend to lean towards tracks that require more technique-wise because it gives me the opportunity to improve.

+groove. I like music that has the groove.
Last edited by Heiots on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Heiots :wave:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Golden wrote:Heiots :wave:
Golden. :hugs:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Heiots wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:I don't like to evaluate music critically. I like lists and comparing different albums based on preference. But I much less so enjoy taking a piece on its own and deciding what's good and bad about it. I have no interest in critiquing music I don't like and can only rave about the music I do like. I would do such a thing when describing it to a friend or acquaintance, but not for my own leisure.

:beer:

What's good music, and what's bad music?

But I tend to lean towards tracks that require more technique-wise because it gives me the opportunity to improve.

+groove. I like music that has the groove.
I don't like calling music good or bad, because I know my interests are among the minority, and who am I to tell someone else their music is bad (or good). :beer:

But if we're talking preferences, I don't like listening to pop, country, rap, smooth jazz, disco, or some recent trendy electronic genres like dubstep (that's electronic right?). I usually don't listen to R&B. And then there's everything else that I listen to from time-to-time or all the time. And then there's Rush. :drums:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I don't like calling music good or bad, because I know my interests are among the minority, and who am I to tell someone else their music is bad (or good). :beer:

But if we're talking preferences, I don't like listening to pop, country, rap, smooth jazz, disco, or some recent trendy electronic genres like dubstep (that's electronic right?). I usually don't listen to R&B. And then there's everything else that I listen to from time-to-time or all the time. And then there's Rush. :drums:
Hm, me too. I used to be a music snob (sadly) back in university when I majored in music, and my friends were into classical technique and opera sounds. I had to filter my preferences after someone made fun of a band I listened to. :blush: But I've decided to be kind to myself and others. I may not enjoy a particular genre for now, but I may in the future. Who's to say it's bad music? (Unless like in school, people judge "good/bad" based on compositional skills and vocal techniques, but music is more than just that. I like to think there's something to get from every genre.)

Right now, I'm into funk, gospel, and R&B. :biggrin: And moments for classical, broadway, rock, jazz, and Olafur Arnalds.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Heiots wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:I don't like calling music good or bad, because I know my interests are among the minority, and who am I to tell someone else their music is bad (or good). :beer:

Hm, me too. I used to be a music snob (sadly) back in university when I majored in music, and my friends were into classical technique and opera sounds. I had to filter my preferences after someone made fun of a band I listened to. :blush: But I've decided to be kind to myself and others. I may not enjoy a particular genre for now, but I may in the future. Who's to say it's bad music? (Unless like in school, people judge "good/bad" based on compositional skills and vocal techniques, but music is more than just that. I like to think there's something to get from every genre.)

Right now, I'm into funk, gospel, and R&B. :biggrin: And moments for classical, broadway, rock, jazz, and Olafur Arnalds.
Hmmm.

:nicenod:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Ricochet wrote:Hmmm.

:nicenod:
Sorry, I've permanently retired from mafia. I'm just here for the people. :blush:

But the YT clip you linked me (Southwest Loner?) to is gorgeous. :cloud9: It reminds me a little of JuJu Song (송영주).
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Sorry to hear that. One can retire from mafia? News to me. :p

Yeah, their music can have that effect. :tunes:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:Sorry to hear that. One can retire from mafia? News to me. :p
LOL

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I think it's more along the lines of abstaining from mafia. Once you've played, you'll always be a recovering addict, no matter how long a hiatus you take.
My Banners:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

When it adds more stress to life than fun, yeah. :srsnod:
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 21

Post by thellama73 »

I'm not sure what thread to put this in, but this is about rating music, so I guess it's as good a place as any. I've decided to listen to every album in the Pitchfork Top 100 Albums of the 1970s list and write a review of each one. I know a lot of them already, but I'm looking forward to discovering new stuff.

I posted the first entry tonight. The project can be found here.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:I'm not sure what thread to put this in, but this is about rating music, so I guess it's as good a place as any. I've decided to listen to every album in the Pitchfork Top 100 Albums of the 1970s list and write a review of each one. I know a lot of them already, but I'm looking forward to discovering new stuff.

That's neat! It sounds fun too.

I've never written a review for an album before, but I might just listen along as you write your reviews.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:I'm not sure what thread to put this in, but this is about rating music, so I guess it's as good a place as any. I've decided to listen to every album in the Pitchfork Top 100 Albums of the 1970s list and write a review of each one. I know a lot of them already, but I'm looking forward to discovering new stuff.

Oh man, that's awesome! I should join you. At least in listening to them, not reviewing. Don't have the time or writing expertise for that.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Nobody should pay attention to anything by Pitchfork. Most of these writers, at best, weren't even 10 when the 70s ended. That list has four Zeppelin albums and as much Bowie and Eno or Eno-related or Eno-generated or Eno-influenced music as they could cram in, without forgetting to tick all the other boxes that collective knowledge holds in high esteem. As a music fan, if you feel this is the most you've immersed in that decade of music, that's all dandy, but coming from music critics who pressed to gain online importance and sell out (or cash in from) any artsy, gimmick indie rock on the radar, and then try to cover all the older decades and genres with above 9.0 reviews of reissue boxes and shallow waters lists like these, nah.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I don't particularly care what Pitchfork says, but my music listening tends to run in grooves of what I already know I like. I thought it would be good for me to listen to some records that are considered great but which fall far enough outside my comfort zone that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered. I selected the Pitchfork list because they tend to like the kinds of albums that I like, whereas Rolling Stone and others would probably be unbearable for me to listen to.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Second review is up. After the Gold Rush.

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

thellama73 wrote:Second review is up. After the Gold Rush.
One of my favorite albums. Glad you enjoyed it.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

0.6% of my ratings on RYM are 5 stars, and one of them is After the Gold Rush. Great album.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I love that album as well, definitely his best!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I am partial to Zuma, but yeah, ATGR is a classic.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

My next post in the series is delayed because Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is apparently out of print and hard to get a copy of. I'm expecting to receive it on Monday.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I liked your ATGR review. It made me want to break out all of my Neil Young which I don't do as often as I should.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

You are very kind, SVS. I don't know why people always call you a bear. ;)

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:My next post in the series is delayed because Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is apparently out of print and hard to get a copy of. I'm expecting to receive it on Monday.
Oh man, you've never heard Rock Bottom? Prepare yourself for an awesome album. Love that one.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So while I was active at ProgArchives almost 10 years ago I did some music reviews/ratings, but wasn't that prolific. Since then I've largely discovered music without reviewing or giving any ratings; even though I've used RYM ratings and reviews as a primary source of discovering new music for the last 5+ years, for example, I've never rated a single piece of music myself.

Starting tomorrow morning I think I'm going to try giving a quick rating on RYM to everything I'm listening to by the time each album is complete -- just a gut-based evaluation. It's daunting, but exciting, and as necessary for my current schedule will demand very little time commitment (since I won't be writing reviews). We'll see how long I can keep this up. :p
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:So while I was active at ProgArchives almost 10 years ago I did some music reviews/ratings, but wasn't that prolific. Since then I've largely discovered music without reviewing or giving any ratings; even though I've used RYM ratings and reviews as a primary source of discovering new music for the last 5+ years, for example, I've never rated a single piece of music myself.

Starting tomorrow morning I think I'm going to try giving a quick rating on RYM to everything I'm listening to by the time each album is complete -- just a gut-based evaluation. It's daunting, but exciting, and as necessary for my current schedule will demand very little time commitment (since I won't be writing reviews). We'll see how long I can keep this up. :p
I look forward to disagreeing with your ratings. :)

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:So while I was active at ProgArchives almost 10 years ago I did some music reviews/ratings, but wasn't that prolific. Since then I've largely discovered music without reviewing or giving any ratings; even though I've used RYM ratings and reviews as a primary source of discovering new music for the last 5+ years, for example, I've never rated a single piece of music myself.

I already disagree with his future ratings.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It's a good thing the RYM:OT forum is gone or they'd have made fun of your prog ratings. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:

I thought we had similar music taste. :sigh:

:p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:It's a good thing the RYM:OT forum is gone or they'd have made fun of your prog ratings. :p
Oh, I'm sure. Though I'm suspecting that current MP will be harsher on prog music than any past version of MP would have been. We'll see.

It may take a bit to find out though since I'm not necessarily going out of my way to rate anything, just in the course of normal listening habits. So it'll be weird to not have rated all these prog albums I spun the fuck out of years ago, but I have to start somewhere I guess!
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote: I thought we had similar music taste. :sigh:

:p
We do, but you gave Pawn Hearts one star, so I have to tease you about it.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”