2016 Rio Games

This is the place to discuss sports and play fantasy sports.

Moderator: Community Team

Post Reply
User avatar
G-Man
Hitman
Posts: 4862
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Isolate Posts by G-Man

2016 Rio Games

#1

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:20 pm

We need a thread for these Olympics.

The guy who did the national anthem was totally lip-syncing.
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Image
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

User avatar
Marmot
Marmot
Posts: 17254
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:21 am
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Isolate Posts by Marmot

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#2

Post by Marmot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:33 am

I'm excited for the 2020 Olympics. 2 of my favorite sports will be back in action. Baseball will be making a return after being out for a couple rounds. Rock climbing will be making its Olympic debut. :beer:
S~V~S wrote:You killed my marmot.

Banners.
Spoiler: show
Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#3

Post by Ricochet » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:24 pm

I have watched rowing, gymnastics, cycling, handball, fencing, tennis, judo and archery today.

I don't know who I am anymore.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
G-Man
Hitman
Posts: 4862
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#4

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:12 pm

For me it was cycling, rowing, gymnastics, water polo, beach volleyball, indoor volleyball, and soccer. It was a good day.
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Image
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

User avatar
juliets
Crimson Tide
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:16 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Moobyworld

Isolate Posts by juliets

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#5

Post by juliets » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Gymnastics? Would that be the mens gymnastics on tonight? I hope I haven't missed something with the women.
These are the days of miracles and wonder...

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#6

Post by Ricochet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:13 am

juliets wrote:Gymnastics? Would that be the mens gymnastics on tonight? I hope I haven't missed something with the women.
Not yet. I think the women are today, early in the morning, Rio time.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Golden
The Coward
Posts: 12718
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:27 am
Gender: Male
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Isolate Posts by Golden

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#7

Post by Golden » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:45 am

Great day. I watched rowing, cycling, equestrian, gymnastics, swimming, rugby, soccer, hockey... I'm limited to whatever they put on free to air in NZ (most of the coverage you have to pay to see). But it was still a good 15 hours worth of TV. So much fun!
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#8

Post by Ricochet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 am

Swimming is very late at night and the national television doesn't seem to care about reruns, so I'll miss a lot of it. I honestly cannot believe Eurosport dropped or lost this coverage, at least in my country.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#9

Post by Ricochet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 am

Watched more of the same yesterday, meaning women's archery, men's foil, judo, cycling, my parents had the women's gymnastics pretty much the whole time on, plus I have also watched Sweden - Germany in handball and a bit of Croatia - Spain in basketball.

I missed Goddess Ledecky and Djokovic getting rekt, because of the lateness of their events. :(

Also, I hate to bring this up, but it's been just two days, yet the number of freak accidents is pretty disconcerting, wouldn't you say?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Marmot
Marmot
Posts: 17254
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:21 am
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Isolate Posts by Marmot

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#10

Post by Marmot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:29 am

Ricochet wrote:Watched more of the same yesterday, meaning women's archery, men's foil, judo, cycling, my parents had the women's gymnastics pretty much the whole time on, plus I have also watched Sweden - Germany in handball and a bit of Croatia - Spain in basketball.

I missed Goddess Ledecky and Djokovic getting rekt, because of the lateness of their events. :(

Also, I hate to bring this up, but it's been just two days, yet the number of freak accidents is pretty disconcerting, wouldn't you say?
I figure that's normal with the Olympics. On the international stage, some folks push themselves further than they've ever done, and thus further than their bodies can handle.

Is it more prevalent this year?
S~V~S wrote:You killed my marmot.

Banners.
Spoiler: show
Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image

User avatar
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts: 2858
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Kentucky

Isolate Posts by birdwithteeth11

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#11

Post by birdwithteeth11 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Still looking for a replay of the men's 4X100 freestyle relay from last night. Apparently Michael Phelps had the best flip turn ever based on the internet comments I've read.

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#12

Post by Ricochet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Watched more of the same yesterday, meaning women's archery, men's foil, judo, cycling, my parents had the women's gymnastics pretty much the whole time on, plus I have also watched Sweden - Germany in handball and a bit of Croatia - Spain in basketball.

I missed Goddess Ledecky and Djokovic getting rekt, because of the lateness of their events. :(

Also, I hate to bring this up, but it's been just two days, yet the number of freak accidents is pretty disconcerting, wouldn't you say?
I figure that's normal with the Olympics. On the international stage, some folks push themselves further than they've ever done, and thus further than their bodies can handle.

Is it more prevalent this year?
I have no term of comparison, at least from recollections of previous Olympics. You're basically right, they can all be attributed to utter exertion or that one tactical slip that proves costly, but I find it was more than simple walkovers or technical injuries. At least two of them, in two different sports, were damn freaky.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Marmot
Marmot
Posts: 17254
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:21 am
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Isolate Posts by Marmot

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#13

Post by Marmot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Ricochet wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Watched more of the same yesterday, meaning women's archery, men's foil, judo, cycling, my parents had the women's gymnastics pretty much the whole time on, plus I have also watched Sweden - Germany in handball and a bit of Croatia - Spain in basketball.

I missed Goddess Ledecky and Djokovic getting rekt, because of the lateness of their events. :(

Also, I hate to bring this up, but it's been just two days, yet the number of freak accidents is pretty disconcerting, wouldn't you say?
I figure that's normal with the Olympics. On the international stage, some folks push themselves further than they've ever done, and thus further than their bodies can handle.

Is it more prevalent this year?
I have no term of comparison, at least from recollections of previous Olympics. You're basically right, they can all be attributed to utter exertion or that one tactical slip that proves costly, but I find it was more than simple walkovers or technical injuries. At least two of them, in two different sports, were damn freaky.
Maybe that's why I don't get hurt. I don't try hard enough. :sigh:
S~V~S wrote:You killed my marmot.

Banners.
Spoiler: show
Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image

User avatar
Ricochet
call for help
Posts: 10506
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm
Gender: Fluid
Location: :-) ALL

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#14

Post by Ricochet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:28 am

A little lighter on viewing yesterday, since there weren't too many tennis matches I was interested in and went to see a movie at a local festival. Our handball team is getting butchered, that's nice. Also caught the final stages of the men's team gymnastics and the women's sabre final.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Golden
The Coward
Posts: 12718
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:27 am
Gender: Male
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Isolate Posts by Golden

Re: 2016 Rio Games

#15

Post by Golden » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:28 pm

One of my friends just got bronze in the 1500m. So exciting!
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward

Post Reply