Time for College Football

This is the place to discuss sports and play fantasy sports.

Moderator: Community Team

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Time for College Football

Post by juliets » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:05 am

Hard to believe the season has finally started. We (Alabama) play FSU tonight and I'm nervous as hell. Usually we play some school like Barton College for the first game of the season but no, this time we have to play a powerhouse. Hate to lose right out of the gate. Well, root for us! We're on at 8:00. Who's your team this year?
These are the days of miracles and wonder...

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Re: Time for College Football

Post by juliets » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 am

So, nobody watches college football here? You're missing out! It's better than the NFL and I love the NFL. So much more emotion in college and nerve wracking if you're pulling for a particular school.

G-Man
Hitman

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Post by G-Man » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Here's my problem with college football- it's an inferior play style compared to the NFL. Few college teams even run NFL-style offensive and defensive systems, which is why rookies often times look overwhelmed in the NFL. Top draft picks are never a sure thing and a fair amount of them turn out to be busts because they can't adapt to the NFL game. It's becoming more and more a problem and is weakening the NFL (though the continued reduction of contact practices isn't helping players adjust either). Take last week for example- Week 1 of the NFL season was pretty lackluster. All week I heard sports radio people talking about how young lineman just aren't playing well.

Plus college football has a lot of BS in the ranking of teams. I don't think they should rank teams nationally until at least halfway through the season. You also have a number of top 25 schools that pad their records and stats by playing against nobodies and yet we're somehow supposed to apply significance to those games.

DISCLAIMER: I've lived in the heart of Penn State football country all my life and the rampant idiocy of die-hard fans drives me bonkers. This probably is the foundation of my indifference to college football.
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Post by juliets » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Thats very interesting GMan. I find college football superior to the NFL because most of the time I get the feeling the players in the NFL are just all about the money and many times are indifferent to their play. And not all college stars are bad when they move to the NFL. Some colleges play a more pro style offense and even those that don't like Alabama produce some awesome NFL players. So mostly for me its the passion with which the game is played in college that wins me over. A lot - though I'm sure not all - of those kids care whether they win or lose or even just get the opportunity to play. As for the fans, you've not seen rabid fans until ou go to Alabama during football season, and if possible the Auburn-Alabama game. The state is divided between Alabama and Auburn and people are just wild about their team. Families (like mine) are divided. It's a lot of pure, uncomplicated fun and a nice break from the stress of real life.

G-Man
Hitman

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Post by G-Man » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

There's probably some truth to your "all about the money" feelings toward the NFL. Some guys bust their butts for lucrative contracts and then ease up once they get their fat contract.

As for struggling in the NFL, a lot of the top QBs in college struggle taking snaps under center when they hit the NFL because most colleges call offensive plays from the shotgun. Given that the speed of college football is much slower than the NFL, shotgun snaps become a crutch and a burden to unlearn. To find a total-package, NFL-ready QB is rare.

As far as kids caring more than the pros, I can see some of that. There are over 100 Division 1 FBS teams and only 32 NFL teams. You have to work hard to get yourself noticed (if making the NFL is your goal). For some players, professional sports is their only shot at escaping poverty or bad home situations and wouldn't be going to college if it weren't for their athletic scholarship. That's a whole other can of worms though.

In some ways, I think central Pennsylvania is a little like Alabama in that we don't have a professional football team claiming our full loyalty. Where I'm from, it's a mix of Eagles fans and Steelers fans but both teams are far enough away to not make it worth the time and money to attend games. Penn State is the closest thing central PA has to professional football and it runs deep. I'm glad they brought back the rivalry match-up with Pitt though. Alabama doesn't have any major professional sports teams, though, so I suppose that magnifies the obsession with college football beyond my comprehension.

Amusingly enough, many of your points in favor of college football match my views on why college basketball is better than the NBA.
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Post by juliets » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Lol G-Man that is funny! I'm not a basketball fan but I know the NBA playoffs can't match the insanely crazy passion for March madness. I even occasionally watch it when it gets to that point but I never watch the NBA.