All Things NFL

This is the place to discuss sports and play fantasy sports.

Moderator: Community Team

Who do you think is going to win this weekend?

NFC: #2 Atlanta Falcons
25%
NFC: #4 Green Bay Packers
13%
------------------------------------------
No votes
AFC: #1 New England Patriots
50%
AFC: #3 Pittsburgh Steelers
13%

Total votes: 8

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Re: All Things NFL

Post by juliets » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 pm

So...whats everyone's opinion about the flag controversy? I stand on the side that says people have a right to protest but my fb is blowing up with people saying they are going to boycott the NFL (like my aunt who I'm sure has never watched an NFL game in her life), or one meme showing a picture of Tebow saying liberals protested when he prayed on the field but they don't care that people won't stand up for their nation. People are really rabid about this. Personally, I'm more wondering how we're going to stave off a nuclear war with Korea and save Puerto Rico from starving and dying from disease. Oh, and health care.
These are the days of miracles and wonder...

G-Man
Hitman

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm not doing any Fantasy Football (pick 'em, survival, etc.) this year, so I have been very detached from football so far this season.

Overall, I don't care if people exercise their First Amendment right in public. They have to deal with the consequences of their speech but they won't hear anything out of me about it. I have far more pressing things to devote my attention to than football players "dissing 'merica."

I'd like to know how many of the people who are threatening to boycott the NFL over players kneeling were part of the birther movement or flew a flag upside-down under Obama. I think all the media coverage is a bit ridiculous because the news networks aren't focusing on why players are kneeling. They're just talking about who is kneeling, which is a distraction to the original message.
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I think it's their right, but I don't think it accomplishes anything.

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Post by juliets » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 am

I agree with both of you. The coverage needs to focus on what the original message was because I think thats been lost. And thats one reason I agree with Epi that it is not accomplishing anything.

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 pm

juliets wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 am
I agree with both of you. The coverage needs to focus on what the original message was because I think thats been lost. And thats one reason I agree with Epi that it is not accomplishing anything.
I've had numerous conversations with others about this subject (including a huge Cowboys fan who used to idolize Jerry Jones until recently). Here is my full view:

"Disrespecting" the anthem or flag is going to

1) Piss off at least half of the people you (presumably) want to reach, and
2) Make the issue(s) about disrespecting the anthem or the flag.

I think a smarter protester would pick the battleground and realize this one isn't it.

The "taking a knee" movement is starting to balloon into a gesture that can be and has been assumed by anyone who holds a grievance. Colin Kaepernick sat originally to protest the US oppression "of black people and people of color," which in context was about controversial police interventions.

Now people are kneeling because of what Trump says on Twitter (and Trump wasn't President when Colin K. originally took a knee).

My point is that vague demonstrations such as this will only be blurred by being commandeered by others for their own reasons and grievances, it will become trendy, temporarily sensational, and eventually pointless.

Off topic, I work with Jadeveon Clowney's cousin.

juliets
Crimson Tide

Isolate Posts by juliets

Post by juliets » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 am

Yes, I may have said this already but my feeling this last weekend was they were protesting Trump, not racial injustice. Did the Green Bay fans link arms last night? I heard the team asked them to but there was a lot of resistance.