General tabletop games discussion

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

DharmaHelper
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Isolate Posts by DharmaHelper

Re: General tabletop games discussion

Post by DharmaHelper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Going to spend the day reading the Trail of Cthulu manual.
our Linkitis is our lives.

#BroughtBackThePoliticsThread

Marmot
Marmot

Isolate Posts by Marmot

Post by Marmot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:35 pm

thellama73 wrote:7 wonders is pretty fun.
Agreed!

I'm a big fan of Power Grid as well. Never heard of Village though. What's that one like Snow Dog?
S~V~S wrote:You killed my marmot.

Banners.
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Snow Dog
Racketeer

Isolate Posts by Snow Dog

Post by Snow Dog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 am

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
thellama73 wrote:7 wonders is pretty fun.
Agreed!

I'm a big fan of Power Grid as well. Never heard of Village though. What's that one like Snow Dog?
looks great to me. You have to bring up a family in a village and send them to do work. In the church or town hall for example. Then they die. So you have several generations.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage

Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 am

Just bought Hotel at a charity shop.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage

MovingPictures07
The Don

Isolate Posts by MovingPictures07

Post by MovingPictures07 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:32 pm

We got 7 Wonders and it's awesome!

JaggedJimmyJay
The Consigliere

Isolate Posts by JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm

I just got Mysterium at the recommendation of a friend. I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet but I look forward to it. It appears to be a sort of combination between Dixit and Clue.
My banners:
Civilian wins: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not pictured: Felt Mafia 2, Greater Idea (Burglary)

Mafia wins: ImageImage
Not pictured: A Game About Chinese Food (Burglary)

Independent wins: ImageImageImage

Host: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not pictured: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary (Burglary)

Awards: ImageImageImage
Not pictured: Best Civilian (2016 Socky), Best Independent (2016 Socky), Best Civilian Team Victory (2016 Socky - Mad Max)

MovingPictures07
The Don

Post by MovingPictures07 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 pm

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I just got Mysterium at the recommendation of a friend. I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet but I look forward to it. It appears to be a sort of combination between Dixit and Clue.
I've heard really good things about that game; I'm very intrigued what you'll think of it. It's a game Annie and I considered getting too.

Golden
The Coward

Isolate Posts by Golden

Post by Golden » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 pm

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I just got Mysterium at the recommendation of a friend. I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet but I look forward to it. It appears to be a sort of combination between Dixit and Clue.
Got it for my nephew at Christmas. It's good, but we haven't won yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward

Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 am

MovingPictures07 wrote:We got 7 Wonders and it's awesome!
Yep it's my daughter's one of her favourites. The expansions look good too. I also got Village but unfortunately they don't like it. I do. I think it's awesome. No one to play with. My other daughter is buying Dixit.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Anybody play Edge of the Empire?

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:47 pm

WAIT A FUCKIN MINUTE

NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES CONSULTING DETECTIVE EXPANSION

10 NEW CASES

4 OF WHICH ARE

JACK
THE
FUCKIN
RIPPER

Long Con
So Divine

Isolate Posts by Long Con

Post by Long Con » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 am

I actually played Monopoly for the first time in years last night. Had Med and Baltic after my first pass of GO, and that was sweet. I had just put three houses on each of the yellows when the game got sidelined. I believe I would have won.

Interesting strategy I never thought of before: instead of building hotels, get as many properties to four houses as you can and sit on them. If there are not enough houses for your opponents to build, then they can't build houses... and they can't build hotels if there's not enough houses left to put four on the property first. Unethical! :nicenod:

JaggedJimmyJay
The Consigliere

Isolate Posts by JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:39 pm

I love Monopoly. It always irks me when people refuse to play because they expect it to take forever. Let me handle the banking and we'll be finished in under an hour. I've found after a lot of online play that most games end in the very way you describe, LC. Someone manages to control all of the houses and it becomes impossible for anyone else to make up the ground.
My banners:
Civilian wins: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not pictured: Felt Mafia 2, Greater Idea (Burglary)

Mafia wins: ImageImage
Not pictured: A Game About Chinese Food (Burglary)

Independent wins: ImageImageImage

Host: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not pictured: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary (Burglary)

Awards: ImageImageImage
Not pictured: Best Civilian (2016 Socky), Best Independent (2016 Socky), Best Civilian Team Victory (2016 Socky - Mad Max)

Marmot
Marmot

Isolate Posts by Marmot

Post by Marmot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am

In monopoly, I have an uncle who will trade properties for ~25% of the profit gained from that property and/or free rent on that particular color. It's an interesting strategy that seems to work for him.

Our family games don't take under 2-3 hours. I'm a rapid banker, but we get into so much bickering and discussion as the game goes on when trades begin to happen.
S~V~S wrote:You killed my marmot.

Banners.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

G-Man
Hitman

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm

At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:02 pm

G-Man wrote:At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
I've seen it at the store and have been tempted to acquire it because it looks neat, but I could gather nothing about the game play or object of the game by looking at the box.

G-Man
Hitman

Isolate Posts by G-Man

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Epignosis wrote:
G-Man wrote:At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
I've seen it at the store and have been tempted to acquire it because it looks neat, but I could gather nothing about the game play or object of the game by looking at the box.
Cliffs Notes version is as follows:

-The point is not to finish first but to finish with the most points. Bonus points are awarded at the end for certain achievements.

-Everybody (up to 5 players) picks two character cards without looking, read the two character descriptions and attributes (how much $ you start with and what your special attributes are), and select one of them for your character in the game.

-Player pieces are drawn out of a hat. Whichever piece is picked last gets to go first.

-You can only move forward along the board and can only move as far as the next hotel/inn (you start at one and move through four more). Nobody can move past the next hotel until all players reach the next hotel. So if someone is slow-poking it, they might get a few extra turns while you're waiting at the hotel doing nothing.

-Which ever piece is currently the closest to the start always moves next.

-When it's your turn, you can move to any space you like up to and including the next hotel, so long as there is room for your piece. If all spaces between you and the hotel are occupied, you must go to the hotel.

-All the spaces between hotels have different functions: a temple you can donate money to, encounters, a gift shop you can buy stuff from, three different panorama pictures you can build, and a hot spring. Just about every space earns you points, though some spaces require you to spend money to get those points. At each hotel, you can buy a meal if you have enough money for it, which gets you points.

-At the end, you count up your points and distribute the bonus points (things like most gift shop items bought, most encounters, most money donated to the temple). Whoever has the most points wins.

Some characters have bonus perks for landing on certain spaces but there's no guarantee you'll get to land on those spaces. You may have to move past a space you get perks for because it's occupied. When I played, my character got a free point and a free piece of gold each time I landed on an encounter space. Because there were five of us playing, I didn't hit any encounter spaces until the second half of the game. That's where the strategy is- where do you want to go now based on where you hope to go next. It took a while for it all to sink in but it would go much smoother the second time through.
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom

nutella
Loan Shark

Isolate Posts by nutella

Post by nutella » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Ohh my god I love Tokaido. So pretty and really well designed. One of my faves.
triangles are my favorite shape
three points where two lines meet

http://www.last.fm/user/nutella23
http://ofmonstersandmintcookies.tumblr.com

Image Image Image Image Image

Golden
The Coward

Isolate Posts by Golden

Post by Golden » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Gloomhaven is the next game to arrive that I'm massively excited for. It looks phenomenal. I can't wait.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Isolate Posts by Spacedaisy

Post by Spacedaisy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:54 am

You may have a board game addiction when you are drooling over the board gaming tables that cost a few thousand dollars... I'd say it may be time for a 12 step program but I have no intention of quitting.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am

Also I saw a video ad for the Vault Gamefolio system. I'm torn honestly. I mean I can see how it would make storage neater and more uniform, and transporting games for a game night would be easier, but I am kind of attached to the boxes. Is that weird? Not all of them though, I mean with expansions such as with Firefly we condensed them down into one or two boxes instead of keeping all the boxes. We condensed Machi Koro (side note, I always want to call this one Mari Kocho, I wonder what, if anything, this translates to in Japanese...) as well.

Golden
The Coward

Isolate Posts by Golden

Post by Golden » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 pm

I have never gone for systems that remove my boxes, even though they are technically a storage nightmare. Instead, I'm going to design a shelf especially for them.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

I saw a picture of shelves someone had designed that slide out. Pretty cool.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

These are the tables I was drooling over. I would go straight for the Titan. Need moar space for Firefly!!!

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am

I was just reading back in this thread and I think g-man and Nutella have sold me on Tokaido being the next game I purchase.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 am

We got a bunch of board games from Russtifinko and his lovely lady for our wedding gift. They bought into three kick starter campaigns so we got these brand new games in the mail unexpectedly. We got Vast, Tricksters, and Bears vs Babies. We really enjoy them all, but here's some points about each:

Vast: it's asymmetrical game play, so each player will have a character with different abilities/weaknesses and a different win con. It can be played with 2-5 players and it has the five following roles that the players can be: The Dragon, The Knight (which is a kickass woman!), The Theif, The Goblins, The Cave. The difficulty for us has been that outside of game nights it's just the two of us and it's hard for it to be a well balanced game with just two. The Knight may balance out the Theif, but the Dragon balances out the Knight and so forth. It really is probably best with the full five players. It can be a little complex since each role has its own rules and pieces and so forth, but it is very interesting to play.

Tricksters: This one was a slower start for us, because the rules are very unclear on some important aspects of gameplay. It took a it if research for me to figure it out. And it takes a bit to get a handle on the variety of strategies involved, but once you do it makes for a fairly interesting game actually. Because there are so many possibilities for how you can approach it. This is a solid two person game, I haven't played it with more but I think it would be a lot of fun and enhance the decision making aspect even more.

Bears vs. Babies: This is from the makers of Exploding Kittens, so that might give you an idea of the type of silliness involved. It's the least complex of all three games and their introduction to the rules was brilliant. They actually walk you through a few rounds of play. The concept is you are using cards with various monster parts to build an army in order to defeat one of the three evil baby armies. The goal is to have the most baby points at the end to win. While simple there are a few different strategies you could use, and some of them can be fairly be cut throat. I think this would be a good one for family play too with kids that aren't too young.

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:05 pm

I had my pick of a few board games on a shopping trip this afternoon to our state's capitol. I wanted Dead of Winter, but given the thematic intensity of that one, I figured it would be best to at least wait until Ephraim can, you know, read.

So I bought Small World. The best thing was it was misplaced on the shelf, and the salesman gave me the discount for the error. Bagged it for $35.99.

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 am

Nice! I love Smallworld. My only complaint is the amount of time it takes to set up. I really like the ten rounds and done part of it. We have the Underworld expansion and some of the other race expansions. It's been ages since we played, we should crack that one out sometime. Maybe at the next game night...

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Post by Spacedaisy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 am

Oh it's been a while since we shared our new additions to our collection. I don't know if we shared this or not but quite a while ago we got Alchemists and never got around to trying it. Well we finally did and it was fantastic! It has a high complexity rating, but it's mostly because there are a lot of fiddly bits and what not, but it's all super easy to understand really. It just takes a bit the first go round to learn it all. But it sticks easily. And the app is awesome, nice interactive touch. but you don't have to use the app either, you can do it manually or online at a website. It's really interesting.

Also, last time birdwithteeth came to visit we went to Emerald Tavern in Austin and we can never leave without getting a game. This time it was my choice and i went with Above and Below. I really really recommend this game. It is a great blend of worker management and role play. So much fun, especially if you get into using voices and so forth when you read the encounters. I could not speak highly enough of this game. :)

MovingPictures07
The Don

Post by MovingPictures07 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:45 am

Small World is a fantastic game. Never tire of that one.

I also echo Daisy's comments about Alchemists and Above and Below. I'm especially addicted to the former even though I'm not great at it.

K-Ness
Patsy

Isolate Posts by K-Ness

Post by K-Ness » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 pm

We picked up Betrayal at Baldur's Gate this week. Being a huge fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill and D&D, I really look forward to this game.