General tabletop games discussion

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 14

Re: General tabletop games discussion

Post by DharmaHelper »

WAIT A FUCKIN MINUTE

NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES CONSULTING DETECTIVE EXPANSION

10 NEW CASES

4 OF WHICH ARE

JACK
THE
FUCKIN
RIPPER
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I actually played Monopoly for the first time in years last night. Had Med and Baltic after my first pass of GO, and that was sweet. I had just put three houses on each of the yellows when the game got sidelined. I believe I would have won.

Interesting strategy I never thought of before: instead of building hotels, get as many properties to four houses as you can and sit on them. If there are not enough houses for your opponents to build, then they can't build houses... and they can't build hotels if there's not enough houses left to put four on the property first. Unethical! :nicenod:
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I love Monopoly. It always irks me when people refuse to play because they expect it to take forever. Let me handle the banking and we'll be finished in under an hour. I've found after a lot of online play that most games end in the very way you describe, LC. Someone manages to control all of the houses and it becomes impossible for anyone else to make up the ground.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

In monopoly, I have an uncle who will trade properties for ~25% of the profit gained from that property and/or free rent on that particular color. It's an interesting strategy that seems to work for him.

Our family games don't take under 2-3 hours. I'm a rapid banker, but we get into so much bickering and discussion as the game goes on when trades begin to happen.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote:At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
I've seen it at the store and have been tempted to acquire it because it looks neat, but I could gather nothing about the game play or object of the game by looking at the box.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote:
G-Man wrote:At a men's retreat over the weekend one of the guys brought a game called Tokaido. Anybody heard of it? There were a ton of rules (the rule book was like a small magazine) but by halfway through the game we more or less knew what we were doing. It was neat. It also didn't hurt that I won. ;)
I've seen it at the store and have been tempted to acquire it because it looks neat, but I could gather nothing about the game play or object of the game by looking at the box.
Cliffs Notes version is as follows:

-The point is not to finish first but to finish with the most points. Bonus points are awarded at the end for certain achievements.

-Everybody (up to 5 players) picks two character cards without looking, read the two character descriptions and attributes (how much $ you start with and what your special attributes are), and select one of them for your character in the game.

-Player pieces are drawn out of a hat. Whichever piece is picked last gets to go first.

-You can only move forward along the board and can only move as far as the next hotel/inn (you start at one and move through four more). Nobody can move past the next hotel until all players reach the next hotel. So if someone is slow-poking it, they might get a few extra turns while you're waiting at the hotel doing nothing.

-Which ever piece is currently the closest to the start always moves next.

-When it's your turn, you can move to any space you like up to and including the next hotel, so long as there is room for your piece. If all spaces between you and the hotel are occupied, you must go to the hotel.

-All the spaces between hotels have different functions: a temple you can donate money to, encounters, a gift shop you can buy stuff from, three different panorama pictures you can build, and a hot spring. Just about every space earns you points, though some spaces require you to spend money to get those points. At each hotel, you can buy a meal if you have enough money for it, which gets you points.

-At the end, you count up your points and distribute the bonus points (things like most gift shop items bought, most encounters, most money donated to the temple). Whoever has the most points wins.

Some characters have bonus perks for landing on certain spaces but there's no guarantee you'll get to land on those spaces. You may have to move past a space you get perks for because it's occupied. When I played, my character got a free point and a free piece of gold each time I landed on an encounter space. Because there were five of us playing, I didn't hit any encounter spaces until the second half of the game. That's where the strategy is- where do you want to go now based on where you hope to go next. It took a while for it all to sink in but it would go much smoother the second time through.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Ohh my god I love Tokaido. So pretty and really well designed. One of my faves.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Golden »

Gloomhaven is the next game to arrive that I'm massively excited for. It looks phenomenal. I can't wait.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Spacedaisy »

You may have a board game addiction when you are drooling over the board gaming tables that cost a few thousand dollars... I'd say it may be time for a 12 step program but I have no intention of quitting.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Also I saw a video ad for the Vault Gamefolio system. I'm torn honestly. I mean I can see how it would make storage neater and more uniform, and transporting games for a game night would be easier, but I am kind of attached to the boxes. Is that weird? Not all of them though, I mean with expansions such as with Firefly we condensed them down into one or two boxes instead of keeping all the boxes. We condensed Machi Koro (side note, I always want to call this one Mari Kocho, I wonder what, if anything, this translates to in Japanese...) as well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I have never gone for systems that remove my boxes, even though they are technically a storage nightmare. Instead, I'm going to design a shelf especially for them.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I saw a picture of shelves someone had designed that slide out. Pretty cool.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

These are the tables I was drooling over. I would go straight for the Titan. Need moar space for Firefly!!!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I was just reading back in this thread and I think g-man and Nutella have sold me on Tokaido being the next game I purchase.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

We got a bunch of board games from Russtifinko and his lovely lady for our wedding gift. They bought into three kick starter campaigns so we got these brand new games in the mail unexpectedly. We got Vast, Tricksters, and Bears vs Babies. We really enjoy them all, but here's some points about each:

Vast: it's asymmetrical game play, so each player will have a character with different abilities/weaknesses and a different win con. It can be played with 2-5 players and it has the five following roles that the players can be: The Dragon, The Knight (which is a kickass woman!), The Theif, The Goblins, The Cave. The difficulty for us has been that outside of game nights it's just the two of us and it's hard for it to be a well balanced game with just two. The Knight may balance out the Theif, but the Dragon balances out the Knight and so forth. It really is probably best with the full five players. It can be a little complex since each role has its own rules and pieces and so forth, but it is very interesting to play.

Tricksters: This one was a slower start for us, because the rules are very unclear on some important aspects of gameplay. It took a bit of research for me to figure it out. And it takes a bit to get a handle on the variety of strategies involved, but once you do it makes for a fairly interesting game actually. Because there are so many possibilities for how you can approach it. This is a solid two person game, I haven't played it with more but I think it would be a lot of fun and enhance the decision making aspect even more.

Bears vs. Babies: This is from the makers of Exploding Kittens, so that might give you an idea of the type of silliness involved. It's the least complex of all three games and their introduction to the rules was brilliant. They actually walk you through a few rounds of play. The concept is you are using cards with various monster parts to build an army in order to defeat one of the three evil baby armies. The goal is to have the most baby points at the end to win. While simple there are a few different strategies you could use, and some of them can be fairly be cut throat. I think this would be a good one for family play too with kids that aren't too young.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I had my pick of a few board games on a shopping trip this afternoon to our state's capitol. I wanted Dead of Winter, but given the thematic intensity of that one, I figured it would be best to at least wait until Ephraim can, you know, read.

So I bought Small World. The best thing was it was misplaced on the shelf, and the salesman gave me the discount for the error. Bagged it for $35.99.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Nice! I love Smallworld. My only complaint is the amount of time it takes to set up. I really like the ten rounds and done part of it. We have the Underworld expansion and some of the other race expansions. It's been ages since we played, we should crack that one out sometime. Maybe at the next game night...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Oh it's been a while since we shared our new additions to our collection. I don't know if we shared this or not but quite a while ago we got Alchemists and never got around to trying it. Well we finally did and it was fantastic! It has a high complexity rating, but it's mostly because there are a lot of fiddly bits and what not, but it's all super easy to understand really. It just takes a bit the first go round to learn it all. But it sticks easily. And the app is awesome, nice interactive touch. but you don't have to use the app either, you can do it manually or online at a website. It's really interesting.

Also, last time birdwithteeth came to visit we went to Emerald Tavern in Austin and we can never leave without getting a game. This time it was my choice and i went with Above and Below. I really really recommend this game. It is a great blend of worker management and role play. So much fun, especially if you get into using voices and so forth when you read the encounters. I could not speak highly enough of this game. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Small World is a fantastic game. Never tire of that one.

I also echo Daisy's comments about Alchemists and Above and Below. I'm especially addicted to the former even though I'm not great at it.
K-Ness
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K-Ness »

We picked up Betrayal at Baldur's Gate this week. Being a huge fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill and D&D, I really look forward to this game.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Spacedaisy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 amAlso, last time birdwithteeth came to visit we went to Emerald Tavern in Austin and we can never leave without getting a game. This time it was my choice and i went with Above and Below. I really really recommend this game. It is a great blend of worker management and role play. So much fun, especially if you get into using voices and so forth when you read the encounters. I could not speak highly enough of this game. :)
The sequel, Near and Far, is even better in my opinion. And it is available with an expansion of sorts on Kickstarter right now.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Seriously? Must check this out....
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedchuck »

So, I'm going to do most of my Christmas shopping with board games, I think.

I usually play with 4-8 people when I play these games. We like games that are strategic, flavorful, and interesting. Not too difficult to pick up and play, but not boring and played out after a few games.

The games I'm familiar with are Bang! The Dice Game, Captain Sonar, One Night Werewolf, Plague Inc. (board game, not the app), Citadels, Catan, Munchkin, and Love Letter. I much prefer the games with strong strategy more than One Night Werewolf or Munchkin.

What are your strongest suggestions for a family new to the world of GOOD board games?
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

One Night Werewolf is great, we should try playing it here eventually
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

What are the ages, all adults or children as well?

[mention]speedchuck[/mention]
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

All adults.

One Night Werewolf is amazing. I would happily run a few games of it, but I don't think it fits into any of the mafia categories. Maybe the non-mafia forum games section?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

We could organize that sir.

As far as board game recommendations... I'm grouping these into three kind of loose categories. Basically Simple Play Strategy are ones that I think are super easy to learn and play quickly, but still require a fair bit of strategy in order to win. Straightforward Strategy Heavy are games that I don't think are particularly unconventional, and may have more parts or take more time to learn or play, but they rely heavily on strategy in order to win. Unconventional, but still strategic games are ones that have a very different kind of game play or some aspect that I don't feel like fit it well into the other categories, but they are still are pretty strong strategy games.

Simple Play Strategy:
7 Wonders (2-7, best with 3 or more) - Very simple, lots of strategy. Lots of fun for large groups.
Dominion (2-4) - Deck building, quick play but loads of fun. They have quite a few expansions too. This is one of my all time favorites.
Splendor (2-4) - Very quick game play. Very easy to learn. But very competitive, be ready to screw each other over in this one.
Forbidden Desert or Forbidden Island - These are cooperative. Both very simple play and quick play time, but there are deceptively difficult.

Straightforward Strategy Heavy:
Power Grid (2-6) - strategy heavy
Castles of Burgundy (2-4) - Lot of pieces and setup, but it's not too hard to pick up on and is one of our favorites.
Pandemic (2-4) - Cooperative play, and if you like the standard Pandemic then try Pandemic Legacy which is fantastic as well.
Ticket to Ride (2-5) - Easy to play, not too long but not quick play either. This is a pretty standard game in most board gamers library and there are a lot of variants too.

Unconventional, but still strategic:
Firefly (1-4?) - This game is absolutely fantastic. Most spin offs from TV shows or movies wouldn't get more than a Meh from me, but Firefly is just so perfect. However, it has a LOT of pieces and it takes up a LOT of space. It also takes a long time to play, 2 hours at least. There are also like four to six expansions that you can add, this will expand the game to up to 6 players I believe and add a lot more variation options onto the game. But I cannot give this game enough of a rave review.
Time Stories (2-4) - This is a cooperative game, but it's unconventional for a couple reasons. It set out to encapsulate the feel of roleplaying, and does it very very well. The second reason is that it is a single story you play through. The base game contains the board and pieces needed and one story. The expansions provide new stories to play. Once you've played through the story it doesn't hold the same replay value for you. That said, it's also VERY difficult. We have played our base game four times and still haven't beat it yet, so... take that as you will. We really enjoy it though. Play time can get quite long too, so make sure you have a chunk of time when you start. And be open to playing it up with crazy voices and put some fun into the roleplay aspect of it. It makes it awesome.
Alchemists (2-5) - This is like Clue crossed with a resource management game. And it uses an app, so every game is randomized and it's really interesting. We still are learning to find the balance in our strategy in order to get a win. It's easy in this one to get obsessed with figuring out the elements, and not get enough reputation points. So it's hard to find the balance in order to win in six rounds. It's got a lot going on in it. Can be a little more overwhelming to learn too, but worth it once you do. Please note that if you play with 5, one of you has to play like game director and you wouldn't use the app. Only four people can compete against each other.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

[mention]Spacedaisy[/mention] You organize something for One Night Werewolf, and I'd be happy to run it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've played Ticket to Ride before, good game. I've heard of Dominion before, and lots of good things about Pandemic (I really want to get into the legacy version with some friends once I finish SeaFall.) I'll definitely be researching all of these. Alchemists, Pandemic, Castles of Burgundy, and all of the simple games especially. :)
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

I'd be happy to trade off on hosting with you speedchuck so you get a chance to play as well! (that's also the thing about One Night Werewolf is that you can have anyone host since the rules and everything you need is gonna be in the OP, similar to an Open Setup)
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

I'm sitting on a personal collection of almost 150 games here. This is my kind of thread/forum. I wonder if you guys feel my mafia + boardgaming pain of not being able to play mafia in person due to not having a large enough group.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Gumshoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am I'm sitting on a personal collection of almost 150 games here. This is my kind of thread/forum. I wonder if you guys feel my mafia + boardgaming pain of not being able to play mafia in person due to not having a large enough group.
That's a frequent frustration for me. When I'm at a party, "let's play mafia" is pretty much my only move, and it drives me nuts when I can collect about 6 willing participants and nobody else feels like it. One needs a solid 9 at least for it to really be worth bothering.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Gumshoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am I'm sitting on a personal collection of almost 150 games here. This is my kind of thread/forum. I wonder if you guys feel my mafia + boardgaming pain of not being able to play mafia in person due to not having a large enough group.
Got any recommendations for a board game newbie?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

speedchuck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm
What games have you enjoyed in the past and why? Which games have you not enjoyed and why? I'd have to know what you're into to give a good suggestion. My favorites might be game types that you hate. :smoky: Or are you a complete newbie and don't know any games?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Gumshoe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm
What games have you enjoyed in the past and why? Which games have you not enjoyed and why? I'd have to know what you're into to give a good suggestion. My favorites might be game types that you hate. :smoky: Or are you a complete newbie and don't know any games?
Catan, Citadels, Ticket to Ride, One Night Werewolf, Plague Inc. (the board game), Bang! the dice game . . . thats about it
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

speedchuck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm
Catan, Citadels, Ticket to Ride, One Night Werewolf, Plague Inc. (the board game), Bang! the dice game . . . thats about it
Ok, I'll just have to assume that you liked all of those games. I have no real knowledge of Plague so I'm ignoring that one in favour of the others. So none of your games are too heavy on the theme (although far from abstract). Longer than a filler but not about to eat through all of your play time.

Machi Koro, Takenoko, & Five Tribes are all fun games that you might compare to Catan in the sense that each player can devise their own technique for acquiring points and you can choose to step on each other's toes or do your own thing. Machi Koro is about building shops and such to form the nicest town, Takenoko is a battle over bamboo between a gardener & a hungry panda, & Five Tribes comes down to balancing your use of workers in order to best control a board that at it's core is the game Mancala (this game is an arabian theme featuring powerful djinns :nicenod: ).

If you love Citadels due to choosing when is the best time to use which character then you may like Libertalia or Beasty Bar. If you like it for the drafting mechanic you can go heavy with 7 Wonders or light with Sushi Go. I'm gonna go out on a limb though and kind of stretch out a bit here and maybe find something you haven't considered before. First, Mr. Jack - as long as you're okay with a Jack the Ripper theme then this game is a blast. It's a deduction game (like Bang & ONUW) but it also allows you to choose which characters to use and when (ala Citadels). One player is Mr. Jack. The other is a detective. The game features many characters that are eligible to be moved by either player but only Jack knows which character he is. His goal is to subtly move that character to the exit without being exposed and stopped by the detective. My other recommendation in that area would be Smash Up. Smash Up (along with it's 10 million expansions) features over 89.86 billion different ridiculous(ly awesome) factions (I counted :srsnod: ). Each player chooses two factions and smashes the decks of those factions together for that game. That makes your team. Your team may be Pirate Zombies, Rockstar Killer Plants, Grandma Princesses, etc. Then the players fight over bases. You choose which base to assign which cards to in order to break the bases that are in your favour. Buying the expansions for this game is addicting. :beer:

The only recommendation I can think to make off of Ticket to Ride, personally, would be Tsuro. This is a bit of a stretch but you could say Tsuro is like Ticket to Ride due to path building. Tsuro is much more simple. It's a game that you put in as much thought you want. You could just place tiles and you'll probably lose hilariously but could accidentally win. Equally hilarious. You could try your best and run others off the board or just get a bad draw and lose anyway. Luck based but fun. The theme is nearly abstract but you're meant to be dragons forging your path in hopes of staying on the board for as long as possible.

For deduction games like ONUW & Bang, you could always go with Ultimate Werewolf (Deluxe Edition) as that is basic werewolf/mafia and nothing can trump that in my opinion. For a new spin you could go with The Resistance (or Resistance: Avalon) or Secret Hitler if you like the idea of deciphering who the baddies are so that you can exclude them from missions and law-making. You could go with Spyfall or The Chameleon if you like the idea of a solo baddie attempting to suss out secret information being given via clues by the good guys as they try to figure out which player doesn't seem to have the same information that they do (aka the baddie who knows nothing). If you're willing to try a longer game with heavier theme (although still a simple game), you could try Dead of Winter (or Dead of Winter: Long Night). I would highly recommend this game. You control survivors of the zombie apocalypse that have formed a colony in order to help each other survive. You can gather food, build barricades, rummage through buildings (finding objects and fun, game status changing stories), etc. Why do I recommend this under deduction you ask? Because each player has a hidden goal and one player's hidden goal MAY be to cause everyone else to lose. Are you all working toward similar goals or is a traitor in the mix ready to let the zombies overwhelm your home?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Gumshoe wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 am
speedchuck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm
Ok, I'll just have to assume that you liked all of those games. I have no real knowledge of Plague so I'm ignoring that one in favour of the others. So none of your games are too heavy on the theme (although far from abstract). Longer than a filler but not about to eat through all of your play time.

Machi Koro, Takenoko, & Five Tribes are all fun games that you might compare to Catan in the sense that each player can devise their own technique for acquiring points and you can choose to step on each other's toes or do your own thing. Machi Koro is about building shops and such to form the nicest town, Takenoko is a battle over bamboo between a gardener & a hungry panda, & Five Tribes comes down to balancing your use of workers in order to best control a board that at it's core is the game Mancala (this game is an arabian theme featuring powerful djinns :nicenod: ).

If you love Citadels due to choosing when is the best time to use which character then you may like Libertalia or Beasty Bar. If you like it for the drafting mechanic you can go heavy with 7 Wonders or light with Sushi Go. I'm gonna go out on a limb though and kind of stretch out a bit here and maybe find something you haven't considered before. First, Mr. Jack - as long as you're okay with a Jack the Ripper theme then this game is a blast. It's a deduction game (like Bang & ONUW) but it also allows you to choose which characters to use and when (ala Citadels). One player is Mr. Jack. The other is a detective. The game features many characters that are eligible to be moved by either player but only Jack knows which character he is. His goal is to subtly move that character to the exit without being exposed and stopped by the detective. My other recommendation in that area would be Smash Up. Smash Up (along with it's 10 million expansions) features over 89.86 billion different ridiculous(ly awesome) factions (I counted :srsnod: ). Each player chooses two factions and smashes the decks of those factions together for that game. That makes your team. Your team may be Pirate Zombies, Rockstar Killer Plants, Grandma Princesses, etc. Then the players fight over bases. You choose which base to assign which cards to in order to break the bases that are in your favour. Buying the expansions for this game is addicting. :beer:

The only recommendation I can think to make off of Ticket to Ride, personally, would be Tsuro. This is a bit of a stretch but you could say Tsuro is like Ticket to Ride due to path building. Tsuro is much more simple. It's a game that you put in as much thought you want. You could just place tiles and you'll probably lose hilariously but could accidentally win. Equally hilarious. You could try your best and run others off the board or just get a bad draw and lose anyway. Luck based but fun. The theme is nearly abstract but you're meant to be dragons forging your path in hopes of staying on the board for as long as possible.

For deduction games like ONUW & Bang, you could always go with Ultimate Werewolf (Deluxe Edition) as that is basic werewolf/mafia and nothing can trump that in my opinion. For a new spin you could go with The Resistance (or Resistance: Avalon) or Secret Hitler if you like the idea of deciphering who the baddies are so that you can exclude them from missions and law-making. You could go with Spyfall or The Chameleon if you like the idea of a solo baddie attempting to suss out secret information being given via clues by the good guys as they try to figure out which player doesn't seem to have the same information that they do (aka the baddie who knows nothing). If you're willing to try a longer game with heavier theme (although still a simple game), you could try Dead of Winter (or Dead of Winter: Long Night). I would highly recommend this game. You control survivors of the zombie apocalypse that have formed a colony in order to help each other survive. You can gather food, build barricades, rummage through buildings (finding objects and fun, game status changing stories), etc. Why do I recommend this under deduction you ask? Because each player has a hidden goal and one player's hidden goal MAY be to cause everyone else to lose. Are you all working toward similar goals or is a traitor in the mix ready to let the zombies overwhelm your home?
Wow, that's pretty in-depth. Thanks! I'll look these up!
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Forbidden Island is fun.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

You could also try Munchkin, Avalon, Coup, Love Letter, Sheriff of Nottingham, Betrayal at House on the Hill,

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 am You could also try Munchkin, Coup, Love Letter, Sheriff of Nottingham, Betrayal at House on the Hill,

ImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 am You could also try Munchkin, Avalon, Coup, Love Letter, Sheriff of Nottingham, Betrayal at House on the Hill,
Munchkin, Avalon (played it on a mafia site), and Love Letter are great! I'll check out the others. A friend of mine has Betrayal, and we're going to play it soon. While eating sushi.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Finished Seafall today. I'd give it an 8/10 overall.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Golden wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm
Spacedaisy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 amAlso, last time birdwithteeth came to visit we went to Emerald Tavern in Austin and we can never leave without getting a game. This time it was my choice and i went with Above and Below. I really really recommend this game. It is a great blend of worker management and role play. So much fun, especially if you get into using voices and so forth when you read the encounters. I could not speak highly enough of this game. :)
The sequel, Near and Far, is even better in my opinion. And it is available with an expansion of sorts on Kickstarter right now.
I got Near and Far for Christmas and I LOVE it! We did add a house rule though because we found that if someone just rushes through and throws camps out all over it ends the game too quickly for anyone to play any kind of strategy. It's kind of a good way to lose friends. So now we play it so if you build a camp on the map it ends your turn.

Otherwise a fantastic game!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

So I got a bunch of the DC Deckbuilding Game recently and it is pretty fun. So far the 2 games I played were completely different in terms of strategy/cards so thats cool.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Watching Star Trek always makes me want to play it on a tabletop in classic dice form. I’ve never managed to hold anyone’s interest long setting it up though.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 am
Golden wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm
I got Near and Far for Christmas and I LOVE it! We did add a house rule though because we found that if someone just rushes through and throws camps out all over it ends the game too quickly for anyone to play any kind of strategy. It's kind of a good way to lose friends. So now we play it so if you build a camp on the map it ends your turn.

Otherwise a fantastic game!
Interesting house rule. I've seen it that you can't place a camp when you defeat threats, for similar reasons. It's definitely hard to build a strategy (so is Above and Below) because it's hard to trace how others are getting points (or could get them) versus yourself. I always end up way too slow and can't do the storylines further away from the city as fast as others can.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I got Gloomhaven and it could easily become an obsession. It's soooo immersive. But the box weighs more than my 16 month old does.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Yo I'm real good at the DC Deckbuidling game
Also the "man of steel" card in that game is OP as hell.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

I just bought and played through Spirit Island twice- the rules are so clunky getting started, but once you get the hang of it, it's an astounding co op Euro game that I've never really been into. Like, I tend to gravitate towards the ameri-trash theme games like Zombicide (nothing will beat the storylines we weave in that one- not even Dead of Winter), but this one has sold me albeit given me tons of analysis paralysis.

Spirit Island checklist- You should buy it if--
-You like co op games ok, but don't care for "quarterbacking", aka one person running the show while others watch that person play. This game doesn't have that much at all.
-You like strategy. TONS of strategy, and apparently there's expansions. Tons of replayability with different variations of cards/spirits
-You like continual action. The game never really lets up and kicks you while you're down.
-You only have 2 players. Scales well at 2. Probably would be even immersive with more. Wouldn't know.
-You like original themes and nice artwork
-You like *complex* games. Even knowing how most of the mechanics work now (took us 2 hours studying the rule book), I still feel like I know nothing jon snow.
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm Yo I'm real good at the DC Deckbuidling game
Also the "man of steel" card in that game is OP as hell.
Have you tried Sentinels of the Multiverse? Not exactly deck building, but an immersive co-op filler with non-copyrited characters.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I've heard of it and seen it played but not had the chance to play myself.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Park Place”