Dungeons and Dragons

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

D&D preferences? Select as many as you like.

WHAT GENERAL STARTING PERIOD IS BEST?
2%
- Within a couple weeks
6%
- Late March
9%
- April or later
8%
WHAT DAYS OF THE WEEK ARE BEST?
No votes
- Sunday
5%
- Monday
7%
- Tuesday
6%
- Wednesday
5%
- Thursday
8%
- Friday
4%
- Saturday
7%
WHAT TIME OF DAY IS BEST (estimated)?
No votes
- Morning EDT, 9 AM - Noon
4%
- Afternoon EDT, Noon - 3 PM
9%
- Late afternoon EDT, 3 PM - 6 PM
6%
- Evening EDT, 6 PM - 9 PM
7%
- Night EDT, 9 PM - Midnight
6%
~~~
No votes
I'm just clicking this one to see the results.
1%

Total votes: 85
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Dungeons and Dragons

Post by boo »

I'm looking to expand my DMing from dungeon world to also doing DnD 5e. I'm planning on running a session on Wednesdays at 7pm EST. If you might like to play (it doesn't need to be weekly, just as you're available), please PM me.

Also, I'm looking to put together a general ttrpg community for the world I'm building, and would love some help in the form of additional DMs. You can run any system you wish, as a oneshot or however frequent session you're able to commit to. That can be found here: https://discord.gg/ET2svf3
Banners
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Tangrowth »

boo needs to come back and start this up again. :srsnod:
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 24
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I play weekly with an Ohio group and monthly online via Fantasy Grounds with friends from my time in England. Sometimes I get burned out on this game, but I clearly still play it. In recent memory it's been all 5e for me. I got started with AD&D, quite liked 3.0/3.5, hated 4e, and now find myself content with 5e.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I only dabbled a bit in D&D with 4e, but I didn't like it that much either. I need to give it a fair shake again.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm I only dabbled a bit in D&D with 4e, but I didn't like it that much either. I need to give it a fair shake again.
4e is garbo-trash.

5e is slick. Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the most amazing thing I've ever seen from DnD
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

AD&D was counter-intuitive as hell, but it was still cool. 3.5 offered the most customization, but it could also be tedious. I liked it. 4e was garbo-trash. 5e returns to the core of 3.5 and eliminates much of the tedium. It's probably my favorite to this point.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

I've only played 3.5 and 5. I like both, but I think 5 is for better or worse a leaner system, and 3.5 is for better or worse a more open/lax/meatier beast. If they can build 5e into a bigger beefier boy, it'll be great.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 pm
MovingPictures07 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm I only dabbled a bit in D&D with 4e, but I didn't like it that much either. I need to give it a fair shake again.
4e is garbo-trash.

5e is slick. Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the most amazing thing I've ever seen from DnD
One of these days I do want to try playing again, so preferably not 4e because it seems that's a consensus.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

4e was thoroughly cheesy. It turned the game into MAKING SWEET MOVES instead of personally-driven role play.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Granted, any edition can be okay depending upon the people. Some people will turn anything into making sweet moves. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Alright gang, here's the deal:

I have a rather massive, sprawling campaign that I have constructed. I ran it for a while with some people from "the real world", but they've eventually fettered off and don't seem super interested in the game at this point. I'd like to run it, even if just to make use of the time and energy I put into making the damned thing. :goofp:

Anyone interested in doing a Roll20 thing? I can make any number work as long as we have at least four people beyond myself. I hate playing D&D more often than every two weeks, so don't expect constant time sinks or pestering. Sessions may not last more than 3 hours or so either. I'm old and get tired.

This doesn't have to happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It doesn't matter how much experience you have or don't have playing the game. I don't care.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

I’d love to give it a shot
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Urist
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Urist »

depending on the timeslot i'd definitely be down, i've been looking for a chance to get back into the game.
which edition are you using?
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I have just signed on to do every other Sunday from 6-9pm EST with a friend's campaign. This might line me up for joining you in the future, but I'm taking it one at a time for now.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Urist wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:36 pm depending on the timeslot i'd definitely be down, i've been looking for a chance to get back into the game.
which edition are you using?
5th

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 pm Alright gang, here's the deal:

I have a rather massive, sprawling campaign that I have constructed. I ran it for a while with some people from "the real world", but they've eventually fettered off and don't seem super interested in the game at this point. I'd like to run it, even if just to make use of the time and energy I put into making the damned thing. :goofp:

Anyone interested in doing a Roll20 thing? I can make any number work as long as we have at least four people beyond myself. I hate playing D&D more often than every two weeks, so don't expect constant time sinks or pestering. Sessions may not last more than 3 hours or so either. I'm old and get tired.

This doesn't have to happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It doesn't matter how much experience you have or don't have playing the game. I don't care.
I'll give this one pitiful bump and see what happens.

I'll only do this with people that I know and who know each other. So nobody should expect awkward chatter with total strangers. Nanook and Urist are already known Syndicats (if they take part), and I will be running the operation.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Potential participation from @dunya

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Possibly also @Carotenoid, @Marmot, and @dyachei

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Interest confirmed Jay, what are the next steps?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Put me down as a /maybe in case you find yourself one person short. I've never played and D&D ever in my life, and I have a bad habit of working exclusively at night, so I don't know how well my schedule would mesh with the rest of the crew. But I'd be interested.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Splendid, Sloonbeard.

Marmot, I suppose the next step is to determine the next step! I will personally violate boo's first post in this thread and make a poll.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

There's a poll.

@Urist
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@Marmot
@dunya
@dyachei
@Carotenoid
@Sloonei

Click on things!

If anyone else out there wants to participate, I might be able to fit one more. Any more than that and it becomes a bit congested. However, there may still be chances to play a one-off session as an NPC if you want, or perhaps rotate if folks don't have the time.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Where's the midnight to 3am option
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

hype
Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

Post by Justplayingitcool »

I'd be interested for sure. never played one so may be a noob
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Welcome aboard @Justplayingitcool. :nicenod:

Looks like we’re encountering some day of the week controversy. It can probably be sorted.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

By sheer plurality, these seem to be the most popular:

Late March
Monday or Thursday
Afternoonish

Those apply to everyone with a couple exceptions. Monday is bad for dyachei and JPIC, and Thursday is bad for JPIC. @Justplayingitcool would you say Thursday is out of the question?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

Depends on the time.

Im in the uk timezone so I couldn’t play too late as i have work the next day
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Justplayingitcool wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:25 pm Depends on the time.

Im in the uk timezone so I couldn’t play too late as i have work the next day
Understandable, and the same goes for dunya. It appears we'd likely play in the early afternoon EDT, which ought to translate to approximately 5/6 - 8/9 PM for you.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

I think I could do 9PM (UK). @JaggedJimmyJay

Roughly, how long is each session?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Justplayingitcool wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:36 am I think I could do 9PM (UK). @JaggedJimmyJay

I would generally not want to go much longer than 3 hours or I'll burn myself out. :smile:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 am
Justplayingitcool wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:36 am I think I could do 9PM (UK). @JaggedJimmyJay

I would generally not want to go much longer than 3 hours or I'll burn myself out. :smile:
Cool, that seems reasonable to me :nicenod:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@Urist
@Marmot
@dunya
@dyachei
@Carotenoid
@Sloonei
@Justplayingitcool

How do y'all feel about Thursday, the 1st of April at 12:00 noon EDT? The first time would likely consist of character creation and tutorial foremost since we have some newcomers to the game.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Kid has a doc appointment that day. Can do every other Thursday tho
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 pm Kid has a doc appointment that day. Can do every other Thursday tho
this, basically
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm braced for the April Fools face-pies.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Carotenoid
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/herself

Post by Carotenoid »

Too early for a weekday :/
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

My schedule is probably not consistent enough for me to be able to make anything regularly :(
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

At the very least it looks like April 1 is not the play. That’s okay!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@Urist
@Marmot
@dunya
@dyachei
@Carotenoid
@Sloonei
@Justplayingitcool

How about Thursday 8 April

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Works for me
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

At noon EST right?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Urist wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm At noon EST right?
affirmative

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Yeah it works for me.
I don't think your mass ping worked btw, I don't recall getting a notification.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

yeah it definitely didn't. i was too lazy to fix it

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

Noon EST probably won't work well with me. I'll still be working!
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Do we know if this is happening @JaggedJimmyJay? I need to block my calendar if so.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Urist wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm Do we know if this is happening @JaggedJimmyJay? I need to block my calendar if so.
I'd say it's unlikely, at least not in early April. We'll have to reconvene and figure out something that works, maybe on discord. No rush gang.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Justplayingitcool
Racketeer

Maybe it's best to do another poll on the time? I feel like some of the answers on the times were clicked for days that would have been ideal to them, if that makes any sense.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Is this still gonna happen?

I'd love to, but probably can't realistically until the fall or winter as I tend to have much less free time in the summer.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.

Return to “Park Place”