Tabletop Games on IRC - Aces Needs You!

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

AceofSpaces
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 4

Tabletop Games on IRC - Aces Needs You!

Post by AceofSpaces »

Hello Syndicate! Do you like to tell stories? Do you enjoy using your imagination and ingenuity to solve problems? Do you just want to swing a giant sword around and slay dragons? Well do I have good news for you!

For two years now I have been hosting tabletop games over IRC. We’ve played D&D, Fiasco, and Star Wars Edge of the Empire. And now we’re expanding to even more games. But I need you to make this possible. Our group is looking for two or more new players. I’m sure you have some questions, so let me cover the basics.

What is it that your group does, Aces?

We hang out and have fun playing tabletop role playing games over IRC with the help of the fantastic roll20.com software.

What’s a “tabletop role playing game”?

It’s a game that uses a set of basic rules and dice rolls to let a group of players and a game master tell a collaborative story. It could be a story about a band of heroes slaying an evil dragon, or hunting down a notorious space pirate. The only limit is our imagination.

OK, Spongebob. What’s a “Game Master”?

A game master, or gm, is the referee and narrator in the game. It’s their job to describe the world and arbitrate the rules. They also take on the role of anyone who isn’t a player character.

And you do all this in a chat room? How does that work?

Think of it like we’re all writing a book together, line by line. Roll20.com also has a lot of cool tools to help bring the game to life and make each session exciting and enjoyable.

So, what are we playing now? And when do we meet?

Over the next couple of months, we’ll be playing the following games.
1. Dragon Age RPG
2. Call of Cithulu
3. Stars Without Number
4. Star Wars Edge of the Empire
5. Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition.

The first game on the list, Dragon Age, will be starting next Saturday, October 10th. But we’ll be meeting this Saturday to create characters and go over some of the basic rules. Game sessions are always at 1pm EST and last until 5pm EST. They will either be on Saturday or Sunday depending on how busy everyone is.
We need two new players, so if you’re interested or if you have any more questions, please feel free to send me a PM or post in here. And remember, play more games!
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Re: Tabletop Games on IRC - Aces Needs You!

Post by Turnip Head »

This sounds fun, I've never played these sorts of games before. Do I have to commit to playing every weekend? What happens if I can't make it one week?
AceofSpaces
Corrupt Union Official

Post by AceofSpaces »

Turnip Head wrote:This sounds fun, I've never played these sorts of games before. Do I have to commit to playing every weekend? What happens if I can't make it one week?
We do try and have one game every weekend. The way I have organized everything we'll be able to play Saturday or Sunday, depending on peoples schedule that week. If it's absolutely impossible for someone to play one week, we usually have that session without them (with their approval). If more than one person can't play a particular week, we reschedule for the next week.
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by reywaS »

Aces I'd love to get back into playing if you'll have me. I've been really missing D&D, and my weekends have opened up so there is nothing keeping me from being able to play anymore. :)
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
AceofSpaces
Corrupt Union Official

Post by AceofSpaces »

reywaS wrote:Aces I'd love to get back into playing if you'll have me. I've been really missing D&D, and my weekends have opened up so there is nothing keeping me from being able to play anymore. :)
:omg: Yeah! You're more than welcome, rey.

Turnip Head (if he wants to play) and Rey would round us out to six players. However, if anyone else is interested in playing let me know and I'll accommodate you as best I can. The ideal party is 6 players, but I can stretch it a bit if the demand is there.
leggyorlyb

Post by leggyorlyb »

reywaS wrote:Aces I'd love to get back into playing if you'll have me. I've been really missing D&D, and my weekends have opened up so there is nothing keeping me from being able to play anymore. :)

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

TH we'd love to have you!!! Come join the fun!! :D :nicenod:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I'm in.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 35

Post by DharmaHelper »

Nerds.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I played some online game with DH and Enrique last year and that was fun. If this is anything like that, I would be interested in playing some, but probably not every week.
Gro-oo-ovy
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

fingersplints wrote:I played some online game with DH and Enrique last year and that was fun. If this is anything like that, I would be interested in playing some, but probably not every week.
This is nothing like what we played with Enri, but its fun regardless. You should at least pop in to Saturday's meeting and see if it's something you'd like.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I would check it out if I'm not doing anything else. I'm out of town all next weekend though, so I know I would miss the October 10th date.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

DharmaHelper wrote:
fingersplints wrote:I played some online game with DH and Enrique last year and that was fun. If this is anything like that, I would be interested in playing some, but probably not every week.
This is nothing like what we played with Enri, but its fun regardless. You should at least pop in to Saturday's meeting and see if it's something you'd like.
I've been busy the past two Saturdays. I'll try to remember next week, so I can check it out. If it looks like something keys would like and is able to play, he might want to join too.
Gro-oo-ovy
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I *may* run a game of Outbreak Undead, a zombie survival RPG, soon if Aces/the schedule allows. The system itself would be tweaked slightly but I think I could do it and it would be fun.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Update: I have character sheets and a pocket starter-guide of OU. A little rules heavy but I could deffo adapt as needed. GM has the final say and all that.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Another idea I had (and one I think is more likely) is a Pendragon session or two. Arthurian era knights and such. I'll bone up on the system in the new year.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

ATTENTION TABLETOPPERS:

Effective Immediately, Aces-run games are on a hiatus for now. Never fear, for I, the once and future king of Tabletop Games, have returned to take my throne.

To help pass the time until Aces feels comfortable with a return, I will be hosting Fiasco on the weekends. What is Fiasco, you might ask?

Before we go any further here are the basics:

1. If you want an idea on how the game is played And if you have any questions PM me or get a hold of me on IRC!

2. If you're interested in playing, POST IN THIS THREAD AND/OR SEND ME A PM BY FRIDAY JANUARY 15TH I am shooting for 5 players, including myself so four more people. If we get more than 4, what I will do is have the first five people including me be our "cast of characters" and anyone extra that is interested in Fiasco can come and help set the scene by offering ideas, helping to resolve scenes, develop the story, etc. If we get enough interest, each session will have a different cast, so sign up even if we hit 4 people because that will give you priority for a spot in the next session.

3. We will be playing using a different "playset" each week. A playset is a road map basically of each story's theme. Playsets are available FOR FREE at http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/downloa ... .php?cat=7 If you see a theme you want to play on that site, download it, read it over, and let me know! Fiasco is all about community, so the more involved you get the better the experience will be. Our first playset for this session will be "London 1593", so download that one first and read it over.
-----

So how/when are we going to play, you ask? I would like to play THIS SATURDAY AT 1:00 PM EST, but schedules change and as I get in contact with players we will work out when to run the game. Some notes about what to expect:

1. Bring a notepad, open up notepad on your computer, or a spreadsheet or something. You won't need to keep EXTENSIVE notes as I'll be doing most of that leg work but it will be helpful if you take notes on things like your characters Needs, Relationships, etc. Also, keep the PDF of the playset handy for identifying the Needs/Locations/Objects/Relationships during set up.

2. Come to IRC at #RevMafia like normal, but when we start, the game will be played at #RMGames

3. When we start, I will go over the set up, rules, etc *IN IRC* And help people to understand how the game is played. The initial dice pool (which we will use to define Relationships, Locations, Objects, and Needs) I will roll ahead of time. Included in this post is a BRIEF AND NONSPECIFIC outline of how the game should go. Again please contact me with questions.

1. Set Up Phase: I will roll a pool of 20 dice, posting the results in IRC, and denoting 10 dice as "Blue" and 10 dice as "Red". This distinction will be important later. We will each take turns using one dice to flesh out one aspect of our characters. For example, Player 1 picks a blue 3 to try and define a "Need" between himself and Player 2. Player 2 Defines that need with a red 1. And so on and so on until everyone has a Need, and we have at least 1 object and 1 location defined.

2. Act 1: We will take turns using the same order as in the Set Up Phase to either act out or describe scenes for our characters. Every character gets 2 scenes in Act 1. At the start of the scene, the player whose turn it is chooses to Resolve or Establish. If they "Resolve" that means they pick the result of their scene (good=blue dice, bad=red dice) but the other players get to set up the scene's specifics. If they choose to establish, the reverse is true and the other players award the result. The player whose scene it is gives the resulting dice away to someone else during Act 1. For example if Player 1 Resolves, everyone else describes his scene, but he decides it ends well so he gets a blue dice. He then gives that blue dice away.

3. Tilt: After half of the dice have been used, players roll the dice they have been given. In our case, I will ask everyone to use the rollbot and denote x dice as blue and y dice as red. For example if Player 1 ends up with 1 Blue and 1 Red, I'll say "Player 1, type !roll 2 6 and treat the first number as your blue dice, and the second as your Red dice". Player 1 rolls a 5 Blue and 2 Red. Player 2 has 2 blue dice and 1 red dice and rolls 5 red, 1 blue and 2 blue, Player 3 has only 3 red dice and rolls 2 red, 2 red, and 3 red. Because Player 3 has the highest red total and player 1 has the highest blue total, they will pick 2 elements from the tilt table using those rolls the same way they picked things in the Set Up phase. *DO NOT WORRY, I WILL EXPLAIN THE TILT AND AFTERMATH WHEN WE PLAY*

4. Act 2: Exactly like Act 1, except keep the dice you receive from your scenes, and elements from the Tilt interfere with the story we establish.

5. Aftermath: When the remaining dice are assigned, everyone rolls their dice. Then you subtract the lowest color from the highest color to get your Aftermath score. I will explain this in IRC as well, so no worries. Depending on your aftermath score, you use your dice to narrate a montage-style finale for your character, using each die you have as a "scene" in the montage with blue dice being good things, and red dice being bad things.

Handy links:

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/downloa ... .php?cat=7 --> List of play sets

Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop" Fiasco Episode - This is the set up video, there are 2 actual "gameplay" videos as well.

Part 1
Part 2

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I should mention this is way easier than it looks. A couple of us have played several games and can easily integrate newbies and teach as we play.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Keep me down as a "one day" participant but I'm too busy for the next little while!
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

timmer wrote:Keep me down as a "one day" participant but I'm too busy for the next little while!
10-4

ImageImage
ImageImage
leggyorlyb

Post by leggyorlyb »

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!! :omg: :omg:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Saturdays are bad for me, and I don't want you to reschedule for me since Sundays are not much better for the next few weeks.

This was fun the last time we did it; can you put me on the PM? I can't do it either day this weekend, but perhaps the following week.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

S~V~S wrote:Saturdays are bad for me, and I don't want you to reschedule for me since Sundays are not much better for the next few weeks.

This was fun the last time we did it; can you put me on the PM? I can't do it either day this weekend, but perhaps the following week.
Sure. Like I said the schedule is likely to change once I get a set roster, so I'll keep you in mind and if I get 5 players we'll work out a day/time.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Update: Game couldn't fill. Need 1 more player and we can start working on schedules. Or not. :P

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

DharmaHelper wrote:Update: Game couldn't fill. Need 1 more player and we can start working on schedules. Or not. :P
Count me in. This is a weekly Saturday thing, right?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:Update: Game couldn't fill. Need 1 more player and we can start working on schedules. Or not. :P
Count me in. This is a weekly Saturday thing, right?
I'd like it to be, yes. Although scheduling obviously might change that. I'll send a PM out to everyone today.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I'd absolutely love to play this, but my schedule is beyond ridiculously busy at this point. Consider me in the future as someone who's in as soon as my schedule becomes bearable though.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I'd absolutely love to play this, but my schedule is beyond ridiculously busy at this point. Consider me in the future as someone who's in as soon as my schedule becomes bearable though.
Gotcha

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

DharmaHelper wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I'd absolutely love to play this, but my schedule is beyond ridiculously busy at this point. Consider me in the future as someone who's in as soon as my schedule becomes bearable though.
Gotcha
:beer:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Objective Zebra was long, but definitely a success. Thanks for the invite y'all. :beer:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Session log!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ekeknat

Post by ekeknat »

hey yall, if you are doing this again tomorrow (or if you do any irc based games like this in the future), it sounds like it would be purdy darn fun! i'm in another irc channel on the same network pretty often anyway so i figure i'll stop by there now and then. i've never played a tabletop game but i'd be interesting in playing one of those too
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I don't think we're doing a Fiasco session this weekend, and if we are, I probably can't make it anyway.

I'm ready for another round in the future.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

ekeknat wrote:hey yall, if you are doing this again tomorrow (or if you do any irc based games like this in the future), it sounds like it would be purdy darn fun! i'm in another irc channel on the same network pretty often anyway so i figure i'll stop by there now and then. i've never played a tabletop game but i'd be interesting in playing one of those too
I'll keep you in mind for future sessions! Not doing one this week but I'll touch base with everybody soon and see if we can hammer out a time/date for another game.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Also good to know you'd be down for the tabletop stuff once that resumes :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Attention Syndicate!

Hello to all the Syndicate Members, and thanks to MovingPictures07 my true friend for allowing me to reach you all with this VERY IMPORTANT message!

Do you like superheroes? Who doesn't! Do you like roleplaying games? Who doesn't! Well boy howdy do I have an opportunity for you! As a select few of you know, some of us like to play RPGs and other tabletop games on the weekends from classic staples like Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars, and Dragon Age to fun and fast games like FIASCO!

This has been a quiet tradition among a very small pool of players for over 2 years now, and has in large part been lead through the hosting efforts of my brother, AceofSpaces, our long time GM or "Games Master". And now the time has come when I feel comfortable in taking up the mantle of responsibility from my brother and hosting a game of my own. To do that however, I will need YOUR HELP!

Because I dare not profane the holy temple of games we've already covered in our group, I have decided to learn and host a new game: Wild Talents, a superhero themed Role Playing Game with rules that are flexible enough for a new GM and new players to learn, and a system of play that is fun enough that I'd feel comfortable at the head of the table.

So, if this has piqued your interest, the next question you might have is "What can I do to help?", and the answer is this:

1. Send DHARMAHELPER a PM on or before FRIDAY APRIL 1ST expressing interest in playing the game. I am looking to host anywhere from 4-5 players, however if I somehow receive an enormous amount of interest, I can very easily adapt to fit more players into the game. After all, superheroes need super villains :feb:

2. Once you've confirmed your interest in the game, please make sure that you can use an IRC client and join our IRC channel. If you need help doing this, include that in your PM to me and I will walk you through the steps personally.

3. Also included in your PM should be any questions you have for me about the system, the game, or anything in between. I will try and answer as many questions as I can, since I am still learning the system as of yet. Part of the reason the deadline is 3 weeks from now is both to give you time to get to know me, the IRC channel, and the system and to allow me to familiarize myself with the system.

4. I would like to host this game on the IRC channel on the weekends (either Saturday or Sunday) at 1pm EST. In the past when we've run similar games they tend to run anywhere from 3-5 hours. If this schedule does not work for you, please heavily consider whether you should apply.

I WILL NOT TURN AWAY ANY NEW PLAYERS SEEKING TO PLAY! I AM A COMPLETELY NOVICE GM USING A COMPLETELY NEW GAME! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT A LACK OF EXPERIENCE! I AM HERE 100% OF THE TIME TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IS NOT NECESSARY

Once more, if you are interested in playing feel free to contact DharmaHelper (That's Me!) on or before April 1st. Once I have a confirmed stable of 4-5 players, I will send out a date for character creation and rules orientation.

Thank you for your time!

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

If anything plz help me prove I'm a better GM than Aces. pls.

ImageImage
ImageImage
AceofSpaces
Corrupt Union Official

Post by AceofSpaces »

DharmaHelper wrote:If anything plz help me prove I'm a better GM than Aces. pls.
:haha:
Serge
The Mark

Post by Serge »

I want to join this but it's so late at night. Have fun everyone!
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Serge wrote:I want to join this but it's so late at night. Have fun everyone!
Thanks for your interest, and if something opens up in the future I will keep you in mind

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I have a roster of 5 players now, which is about what we're used to running. If anyone else is interested and able to play, it would be in a guest-villain or guest-hero capacity.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Our first game will be on April 10th, at 1pm EST/ 12pm Central. Spectators welcome.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I will probably pop in to watch. Will there be pictures?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I will probably pop in to watch. Will there be pictures?
No pictures :P But Leggy will have logs.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I still have space on my roster for players, if you want to play PM me.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

DharmaHelper wrote:I still have space on my roster for players, if you want to play PM me.
I have 2 spots open as of this post, with a couple of people showing interest, PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE COME PLAY WITH US

ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I would like to play this, but schedule-wise I am not sure I will be able to be there weekly. :(
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Spacedaisy wrote:I would like to play this, but schedule-wise I am not sure I will be able to be there weekly. :(
That's ok, we're in a transitional phase right now anyway. Probably taking this next week off, since I'll be away early in the week and unable to nail down anything game related, so if you wanted to get in contact after this week to make a character or something lemme know, And feel free to PM me any questions or w/e

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Ideally, for what I have planned moving forward I'd like a roster of 6 players, nobody has to be available every week.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Sorry for the recent spam, but I've become recently invigorated and I have some very cool ideas for the future of this game that I will hopefully be able to announce soon (within the coming weeks).

I will have MUCH more to say on this very soon, but for now to those of you who've played or watched before, know that my plans for the future are different than what we've been doing, but hopefully will translate to a better, cleaner experience for everyone.

ImageImage
ImageImage
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

If people are interested, I've been looking at systems, and found one I'd like to try and DM. It's called Dungeon World, it's similar to D&D, but I think it seems a bit more straightforward.

It would just be a one shot (about a 4-5 hour game tops, not multiple sessions long).

I'd have characters ready to go (for about 3-5 players. It can handle more than that, but like any game, people start to get drowned out if you have to many people), and then people could choose which one they want, so most of the character creation would already be dealt with (the things you'd need to fill out would deal with the rp part of the game, which you'd do after everyone has chose their character and you can ask each other questions and agree on back stories).

What I like about this system is that the combat seems like it should be interesting, but the rolling is all very simple, and only serves to further the fiction that the players come up with. You say what you want to do and how, and then you're told the result. I also think the bond system seems like a really good way to help get the rp flowing, and based on what I've read about it from people who have played, that seems to be the consensus (bonds are basically class specific things you fill out about other people in your party. You use them to create things your character already thinks about the other players characters, and then you act on them over the course of the game. When you and the other player agree the bond you have has finished, meaning you've used up the story telling you can do with it, you both get some xp and you make a new bond).

If you'd be interested in playing, shoot me a PM. I'm thinking either a weeknight starting around 5 or 6, or Saturday starting any time after 2 that would work once there's a group set (times are est), if you could include your preference, that'd be helpful.

If it went well, I'd probably be up for DMing a one shot game once a month or so, probably sticking with this system but homebrewing it as we see fit.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.

Return to “Park Place”