Most Recently Played Tabletop Game

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Most Recently Played Tabletop Game

Post by Tangrowth »

This site desperately needs this thread, so here it is!

Annie (Spacedaisy) and I love playing tabletop games together; it's one of the ways we like to spend "us" time and we've bonded a lot over the past few years playing board, party, and card games. Not sure why I or someone else hasn't created this thread yet!

While Annie and I were in Austin visiting Emerald Tavern this past weekend, we picked up Mottainai at the suggestion of the staff, since it's one of the handful or two of games there we hadn't previously heard of. It's a good game if you don't want to spend more than $25 or so on a tabletop game and you only have 2 players (though you can play with as many as 5). Played it a few times so far, and we're both pretty impressed. There's a bit of a learning curve, but not an intense one in the slightest.

I recommend it for sure.

What tabletop game have you most recently played, and what did you think of it?
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Re: Most Recently Played Tabletop Game

Post by Marmot »

The game I have played most recently (and probably most often) - Settlers of Catan. Despite playing this game dozens of times (no exaggeration), I have only ever won this game once. It seems I still haven't figured it out. :blush:

Some other favorites of mine.

Power Grid - my family owns this one, and I like to play whenever I can, mainly because I've developed a strategy that usually works.

Hanabi - This is a simple to learn, but hard to master card game that involves all players teaming up to try to win. My friend has owned this game for years, and says he still hasn't achieved a perfect score.

Coup - Another card game, with a little bit of complexity. It reminds me of mafia in that the goal is to bluff and deceive other players based on 1 or 2 cards you hold in your hand.

Monopoly - Well, this one is a classic. I can never win when I play with my brothers because I have one brother who cares more about stopping me from winning than he does about winning himself. Regardless, still a wonderful one to play despite its age.

Risk - Another classic. Again, same story with this game that I described with Monopoly, but it is still fun to play at any time.

Pandemic - I've only played this game once, but I feel a strong urge to play it again. It's most interesting because of it's focus on teamwork, and I think the Legacy edition would be a blast to spend some time on.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Spacedaisy »

We love Coup and Pandemic!

Alex really wants Powergrid, but it's expensive so we haven't purchased it yet.

Mottainai is a ton of fun, but the first one or two times playing is difficult, I think because the terminology in the directions are a bit unclear. But it is definitely a good strategy game without requiring a heavy time investment. Once you get a handle on the game it most likely lasts about half an hour.

I am really interested in getting Time Stories, has anyone here played it?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DharmaHelper »

Heres a pretty good website for board games news and reviews and stuff:

www.shutupandsitdown.com
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Golden »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Pandemic - I've only played this game once, but I feel a strong urge to play it again. It's most interesting because of it's focus on teamwork, and I think the Legacy edition would be a blast to spend some time on.
I just yesterday said to MP that I have discovered Pandemic Legacy and it is now an immediately must buy. I'm buying it today lol.

I've never come across this 'legacy system' before, but it blows my mind.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

My go to game is Ticket to Ride. It seems that most people really have fun even if they do not win.

Power Grid - worth the investment, but I don't enjoy it as much as TTR. I think it is much harder to get a sense of your own progress at times, but if you can get a sense that you really aren't in the game I find it moves quite slow and takes a while. It may just be because of the overthinker in my group whose turns are interminably long.

Mystery Express is a great update to the Clue genre which I think is really well done.

Settlers of Catan is something I always enjoy, even when I am not winning.

@Daisy - I was also just looking at TIME stories, and wondering if it could be quite fun.

Articulate is my favourite big group game. I don't know if it is available in USA but it inevitably leads to some people saying dumb things and everyone ending up in stitches (it's like a much improved version of Taboo).

Board Game confession: I've never played Risk :disappoint:
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Oh TTR is one of my favorites as well! We have USA, Europe, Scandinavia, and Africa plus one of the expansions.

I prefer Smallworld to Risk. Not nearly such a time investment and less of the tedious losing, lol. We've got the original, a few of the expansions and the Underworld (or is it Underground?) one as well. I'd like to get the expansion that allows you to play across both boards.

Has anyone played Battlestar Galactica? A-maz-ing! It's very similar to mafia,so much fun and so much strategy.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I have the BSG game but I haven't played it yet. I need to! But, since I have Pandemic Legacy being delivered to my door today, I think thats coming first.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I'm jealous, haven't played Legacy yet. Too many board games I want!!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Also, I highly recommend getting TTR UK/Pennsylvania. I think it is one of the best.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I only saw that one for the first time last weekend. I forgot, we also have Märklen. We haven't played that one as much, not sure why. What do you prefer about the UK/Pennsylvania version?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Spacedaisy wrote:I only saw that one for the first time last weekend. I forgot, we also have Märklen. We haven't played that one as much, not sure why. What do you prefer about the UK/Pennsylvania version?
I think the Pennsylvania twist in particular is very compelling and plays well. I really love all of the maps and enjoy playing all of the games but I think some of the twists make for more interesting gameplay than others. Penn is one. UK twist is also very interesting as it allows for different strategies and I'm not sure I've worked out if there is one that is particularly preferable yet.

We play Marklin less too but its because of the fiddly numbers set up.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

some of my favorites are Dominion (all expansions), Splendor, Carcassonne, Ascension, Nexus Ops, Nothing Personal, Tokaido, King of Tokyo, Smallworld, Puerto Rico... and that's just to name a few :p I've played a lot of things thanks to my nerdy friends :derp:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I wish I had more money to spend on tabletop games and more time to play them. There are so many amazing looking games out there that Annie and I haven't even checked out. Definitely give out more recommendations, folks!

Yeah, Monopoly is such a classic; that was the first tabletop game I fell in love with when I was young. Loved playing it with my family, still one of my favorites despite the fact that I almost never play it these days. Coup is a really fun game too; I haven't played it in too long. It's so simple, but just so awesome, and never gets old when you have a good group of 5+ people.

Duly noted on Pennsylvania, that's good to know. I was wondering about it myself when we saw it at the store.

Some of my top priorities at the moment are: Pandemic Legacy (because the original and other expansions are so amazing, and this looks somehow better), Power Grid (I really want this), Twilight Struggle, TIME Stories, Netrunner, etc. Too many to name.

Also, has anyone here play the "new" 7 Wonders Duel version of the game (for 2-players only)? I've been really wanting to get it but haven't had a chance to yet. As much as I love games of all types, Annie and I have been trying to specifically find really solid 2-player games for obvious reasons.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote:some of my favorites are Dominion (all expansions), Splendor, Carcassonne, Ascension, Nexus Ops, Nothing Personal, Tokaido, King of Tokyo, Smallworld, Puerto Rico... and that's just to name a few :p I've played a lot of things thanks to my nerdy friends :derp:
How would you rank the Dominion expansions? Somehow we were a bit late to the party on Dominion, but we love it, and I've been debating on which expansions to get first.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I wish I had more money to spend on tabletop games and more time to play them. There are so many amazing looking games out there that Annie and I haven't even checked out. Definitely give out more recommendations, folks!

Yeah, Monopoly is such a classic; that was the first tabletop game I fell in love with when I was young. Loved playing it with my family, still one of my favorites despite the fact that I almost never play it these days. Coup is a really fun game too; I haven't played it in too long. It's so simple, but just so awesome, and never gets old when you have a good group of 5+ people.

Duly noted on Pennsylvania, that's good to know. I was wondering about it myself when we saw it at the store.

Some of my top priorities at the moment are: Pandemic Legacy (because the original and other expansions are so amazing, and this looks somehow better), Power Grid (I really want this), Twilight Struggle, TIME Stories, Netrunner, etc. Too many to name.

Also, has anyone here play the "new" 7 Wonders Duel version of the game (for 2-players only)? I've been really wanting to get it but haven't had a chance to yet. As much as I love games of all types, Annie and I have been trying to specifically find really solid 2-player games for obvious reasons.
My family has 7 Wonders, and my brother have played a 2-person variation. But I don't know of this duel version you speak of.

I've also played Dominion. That one is good, I've just forgotten about it.

I've also played Ticket to Ride once. That one is excellent. My friend who is really into games (she's got about 50+ board games on her shelf) invited me over and taught me how to play it. She was a little salty that I beat her on the first go. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

It's pretty hard to rank the dominion sets, they all have some really good cards. Intrigue, Seaside and Prosperity are all good for sure. I know the newest one that came out (Adventures) has some really crazy mechanics, but I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. There is an online client at playdominion.com where you can purchase the sets to play online, or just play with other people who have them.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote:It's pretty hard to rank the dominion sets, they all have some really good cards. Intrigue, Seaside and Prosperity are all good for sure. I know the newest one that came out (Adventures) has some really crazy mechanics, but I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. There is an online client at playdominion.com where you can purchase the sets to play online, or just play with other people who have them.
Good to know, thanks!
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:My go to game is Ticket to Ride. It seems that most people really have fun even if they do not win.
Until someone puts that one train car in the single space you must have to complete a cross-continental rail. :wall:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I. Hate. Risk.

Everyone's favorite strategy game is really a game of luck and nothing but luck. I'll stop there before it becomes a rant. :doh:

I love board games though. One of my favorites is Formula 1, for its simplicity and speed. I quite like cooperative board games like Atlantis Rising and Forbidden Desert. It's typical but I've always loved Monopoly too.

To answer the title: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire roleplaying game. It's okay, I like the unique dice system (much preferred with a computer program though over actual dice -- a lot easier to figure out). I've also played a crapload of D&D in the Forgotten Realms setting primarily.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I. Hate. Risk.

Everyone's favorite strategy game is really a game of luck and nothing but luck. I'll stop there before it becomes a rant. :doh:

I love board games though. One of my favorites is Formula 1, for its simplicity and speed. I quite like cooperative board games like Atlantis Rising and Forbidden Desert. It's typical but I've always loved Monopoly too.

To answer the title: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire roleplaying game. It's okay, I like the unique dice system (much preferred with a computer program though over actual dice -- a lot easier to figure out). I've also played a crapload of D&D in the Forgotten Realms setting primarily.
Risk is somewhat luck, like most games.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I. Hate. Risk.

I agree; Risk is overrated. I'm with my wife in saying that Small World is infinitely better.

Formula 1 is awesome! I've played it only a couple of times with friends, but it's a great game. I need to get it. Cooperative games are always fun too, in a different way, but you can't beat a competitive game. :feb:
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G-Man »

Here is a picture of our game cabinet. Not sure why the pic is loading sideways. I saved the file rotated properly. Oh well. We've got more games for our four-year-old upstairs.

Or go to this link to see the full picture. The forum cuts off the top shelf for some reason.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Golden wrote:My go to game is Ticket to Ride. It seems that most people really have fun even if they do not win.
Until someone puts that one train car in the single space you must have to complete a cross-continental rail. :wall:
In which case... your go to game should be TTR: Europe lol. The stations in that one definitely make for the most friendly experience.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Nice game shelves, G-Man!

Golden wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
In which case... your go to game should be TTR: Europe lol. The stations in that one definitely make for the most friendly experience.
+1

Europe is my favorite perhaps for this reason, as much as I love a lot of the others.
Scotty
Jeff
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

I was actually lookin to go into the board game business instead of just a hobby but chose to focus on acting instead.

I love board games!

2 player is always an oddity that eludes me, because there is infinitely better games out there for more than 2 people. The hard part is always getting more people to join. I'm like a golden retriever. Always ready to go play fetch or dig up squirrel carcasses or what have you.

So I'm sure you've played Stratego. I play it with my gf all the time. It's my favorite game of all time.

7 wonders plays pretty well as 2 player. I haven't played the dueling version you guys mentioned already.

The party games we play a lot if you ever have people over are:

Codenames: this one is by far the most heavily played and easily accessible one on this list. Where I REALLY like hidden traitor games, this one is perfect for the creative linking minds. It's rated #1 Party game on BGG (I think) and it deserves it. Because even boring old Cathy from accounting can play this game. It's not overbearing may strategic and it engages the mind. It can play as 2, but I'd recommend it as a 4 person minimum. Literally no limit on how many people can play.

Resistance- Avalon: this game is a variant on Resistance. It's heavily regarded in my circle as the more preferred game over its predecessor. It's bluffing, but with strategic selection and statistical analysis. Probably one of my all time favorite party games. Needs minimum of 5 people to play, but it is the most requested game when that many people are around. I've logged over 500 games playing this online, which, coincidentally, introduced me to online Mafia and how I found the Syndicate! So there's that.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf: this is a madness hidden role bluffing game. Games are super fast, and anyone can pick it up and play for their first time, with the help of a handy supplemental app on the phone. Much more chaotic than your standard fair, like Mafia, but always a fun time. Plays 3 minimum.

I'm also into RPG dungeon crawling/fantasy type games, and so I have a few on my list:
Descent 2.0: is a classic one on my list. Can be played with 2 minimum. Sprawling, miniatures, campaign questing. One player plays as the evil overlord, and the other(s) play as the good heroes attempting to achieve a quest. It really is a chess game with missions and die rolling. It's like D&D put to cards and pieces. It's not cheap, and it has expansions once the first campaign is done, but I have fond memories playing with friends on this game.

Lord of the Rings: the Card game: I have a bit of a tough time recommending this because inherently don't like the advent of collectible card games. You will spend money buying expansions for this. But the combat system and drafting system is so well crafted, and the stories you make up are so grand, I fall in love with it. Plays 2 people minimum.

Zombicide (and its expansions): this is another big box game that can cost $90 often times, but if you like the undead/zombie genre, then look no further. It's a dungeon crawly type of game that has you and up to 5 other people working to get out of town via specific missions. Each turn zombies spawn and attempt to come eat you, so you must scavenge for supplies and weapons to fend off the hoard and escape. Always a fun time, and I have specific gaming groups just interested in playing this game, it's such a fun time. Plays 2 minimum.

Game of Thrones: the board game: this is risk. But better, more composed, and more hepatic ally fun. Players are playing as one of the six major families working to conquer Westeros. But its has a timer and a real threat in the wildlings knocking on the door to the north. So will you put aside your petty differences to appeal to the Wall and save the kingdom or get greedy? Plays best with 4-6 people.

I have shit ton of games. And have played a bunch. And am always looking out for good 2 player games, though it's always hard to find ones with replayability
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Quin »

I haven't played board games in such a long time. I miss it. I play monopoly online with a couple of internet friends once in a blue moon but nothing beats the real thing.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

Happy Tabletop Day
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I played Battlesheep for the first time last night. It was great. An incredibly simple game to learn (only took a minute to learn the rules), but the strategy involved has a very high ceiling, not unlike Go or Chess.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Snow Dog
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Snow Dog »

Jamaica
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Anyone here ever play Scotland Yard? I just ordered it online to play with my kids - I remember loving it as a child. :)
My siggie.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Scotty wrote:I was actually lookin to go into the board game business instead of just a hobby but chose to focus on acting instead.

I love board games!

2 player is always an oddity that eludes me, because there is infinitely better games out there for more than 2 people. The hard part is always getting more people to join. I'm like a golden retriever. Always ready to go play fetch or dig up squirrel carcasses or what have you.

So I'm sure you've played Stratego. I play it with my gf all the time. It's my favorite game of all time.

7 wonders plays pretty well as 2 player. I haven't played the dueling version you guys mentioned already.

The party games we play a lot if you ever have people over are:

Codenames: this one is by far the most heavily played and easily accessible one on this list. Where I REALLY like hidden traitor games, this one is perfect for the creative linking minds. It's rated #1 Party game on BGG (I think) and it deserves it. Because even boring old Cathy from accounting can play this game. It's not overbearing may strategic and it engages the mind. It can play as 2, but I'd recommend it as a 4 person minimum. Literally no limit on how many people can play.

Resistance- Avalon: this game is a variant on Resistance. It's heavily regarded in my circle as the more preferred game over its predecessor. It's bluffing, but with strategic selection and statistical analysis. Probably one of my all time favorite party games. Needs minimum of 5 people to play, but it is the most requested game when that many people are around. I've logged over 500 games playing this online, which, coincidentally, introduced me to online Mafia and how I found the Syndicate! So there's that.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf: this is a madness hidden role bluffing game. Games are super fast, and anyone can pick it up and play for their first time, with the help of a handy supplemental app on the phone. Much more chaotic than your standard fair, like Mafia, but always a fun time. Plays 3 minimum.

I'm also into RPG dungeon crawling/fantasy type games, and so I have a few on my list:
Descent 2.0: is a classic one on my list. Can be played with 2 minimum. Sprawling, miniatures, campaign questing. One player plays as the evil overlord, and the other(s) play as the good heroes attempting to achieve a quest. It really is a chess game with missions and die rolling. It's like D&D put to cards and pieces. It's not cheap, and it has expansions once the first campaign is done, but I have fond memories playing with friends on this game.

Lord of the Rings: the Card game: I have a bit of a tough time recommending this because inherently don't like the advent of collectible card games. You will spend money buying expansions for this. But the combat system and drafting system is so well crafted, and the stories you make up are so grand, I fall in love with it. Plays 2 people minimum.

Zombicide (and its expansions): this is another big box game that can cost $90 often times, but if you like the undead/zombie genre, then look no further. It's a dungeon crawly type of game that has you and up to 5 other people working to get out of town via specific missions. Each turn zombies spawn and attempt to come eat you, so you must scavenge for supplies and weapons to fend off the hoard and escape. Always a fun time, and I have specific gaming groups just interested in playing this game, it's such a fun time. Plays 2 minimum.

Game of Thrones: the board game: this is risk. But better, more composed, and more hepatic ally fun. Players are playing as one of the six major families working to conquer Westeros. But its has a timer and a real threat in the wildlings knocking on the door to the north. So will you put aside your petty differences to appeal to the Wall and save the kingdom or get greedy? Plays best with 4-6 people.

I have shit ton of games. And have played a bunch. And am always looking out for good 2 player games, though it's always hard to find ones with replayability
Hey Scotty, nice post! Here I am reading and getting back to it over half a year later, my bad. :p I really should post in this section more often!

I haven't played most of these games, so I'll check them out for sure. Codenames is one of those games that somehow I've managed to avoid even though I've been wanting to check it out. Zombicide I've played with one of my friends from the PhD program (Zombarella, actually!) and her wife (Snowman), and that game is pretty freaking awesome.

Speaking of Resistance and related offshoots, have you played Coup? Annie and I love that game.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I played Battlesheep for the first time last night. It was great. An incredibly simple game to learn (only took a minute to learn the rules), but the strategy involved has a very high ceiling, not unlike Go or Chess.
Battlesheep? What?!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

timmer wrote:Anyone here ever play Scotland Yard? I just ordered it online to play with my kids - I remember loving it as a child. :)
I haven't! I think my parents had this game though. Not sure why we never played it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Oh, and I'm crazy addicted to Power Grid. I'm asking for expansions for Christmas. :slick:
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Here are some games i am thinking of getting.

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Snow Dog wrote:Here are some games i am thinking of getting.

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion
Dominion is amazing; do it. Annie and I still need to get some expansions for it.
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

MovingPictures07 wrote:

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion
Dominion is amazing; do it. Annie and I still need to get some expansions for it.
I rather fancy Village more at the moment and if the price is right 7 Wonders. I have to buy games that the family want to play otherwise it'd pointless. I bought Hansa recently and no one wants to play.
:disappoint:
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Snow Dog wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion
I rather fancy Village more at the moment and if the price is right 7 Wonders. I have to buy games that the family want to play otherwise it'd pointless. I bought Hansa recently and no one wants to play.
I don't blame you; I really want 7 Wonders as well. I'm hoping to get that new Duel version (still, lol, I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread) though because I continue to hear awesome things about it and Annie and I most often just play 2-players.

I'm not as familiar with Village and Ulm, but I've heard good things about them too.
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Snow Dog wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion
I don't blame you; I really want 7 Wonders as well. I'm hoping to get that new Duel version (still, lol, I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread) though because I continue to hear awesome things about it and Annie and I most often just play 2-players.

I'm not as familiar with Village and Ulm, but I've heard good things about them too.
tbh I keep changing my mind on what to get and meanwhile my list gets longer! :omg:
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Snow Dog wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Snow Dog wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

7 Wonders
Village
Ulm
Dominion

tbh I keep changing my mind on what to get and meanwhile my list gets longer! :omg:
Lol, same, my list is ridiculously long. :p

My parents asked me to give them a Wish List so I just gave them a list of board games. :slick:
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Sheriiff of Nottingham is a good game. Lot's of fun and there is little down time
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Snow Dog wrote:Sheriiff of Nottingham is a good game. Lot's of fun and there is little down time
Oooh, yeah, I agree. I played that one with Zomberella and Snowman as well, so we don't own it, but it's good fun.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm mostly doing Legacy games at the moment.

Just finished July in Pandemic Legacy.

Also in the middle of a game of Seafall.

Bought Risk Legacy for my nephew whose birthday it is today. Let's see how that one goes!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:I'm mostly doing Legacy games at the moment.

Just finished July in Pandemic Legacy.

Also in the middle of a game of Seafall.

Bought Risk Legacy for my nephew whose birthday it is today. Let's see how that one goes!
We need to play Pandemic Legacy again! It's been a while. We're on March, lol.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Been playing XCOM2 and Dead by Daylight recently, both super fun!

I am however about to pickup FFXV today so I'll be sure to tell you all how it is
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sprityo wrote:Been playing XCOM2 and Dead by Daylight recently, both super fun!

I am however about to pickup FFXV today so I'll be sure to tell you all how it is
I think you're in the wrong game thread! :p

But still super cool. :beer:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I played Dominion with my new roommates tonight. I hadn't played in a while, and they were all very proficient at it. I could barely keep up.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Recently I have played 221b Baker Street and a swift hand of Love letter.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

221b is fun, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Return to “Park Place”