Kudos To You!!

Are you new to The Syndicate's mafia crime family? If so, introduce yourself here! For all Syndicateers, this is the place to get to know your fellow family members.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 100
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: Kudos To You!!

Post by Tangrowth »

So today and yesterday were big days for me in terms of finding out assistant professor job market stuff.

I applied to 12 universities over the holidays. Since the Spring 2018 semester began, I have received phone interviews with 3 of those universities.

I now have campus visits/interviews with 2 of those 3, and for the third one I am a first alternate (which means I will be interviewed in the event that at least one of the candidates falls through).

I'm definitely pretty stoked about all of this, but also suddenly a lot more nervous.
lapluie
Moon Child
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lapluie »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 pm So today and yesterday were big days for me in terms of finding out assistant professor job market stuff.

I applied to 12 universities over the holidays. Since the Spring 2018 semester began, I have received phone interviews with 3 of those universities.

I now have campus visits/interviews with 2 of those 3, and for the third one I am a first alternate (which means I will be interviewed in the event that at least one of the candidates falls through).

I'm definitely pretty stoked about all of this, but also suddenly a lot more nervous.
That's awesome! I hope it goes all well for you, best of luck =]
* ☆ kepler 22b ~ °
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 37
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

MP I'm so excited for you as you nail down this job! Adventures ahead!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 30

Post by S~V~S »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 pm So today and yesterday were big days for me in terms of finding out assistant professor job market stuff.

Are they all snow free for the most part?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 am

Some universities I applied to are, but some aren’t for sure. I quickly realized I had to widen my geographical range from my initial target area (Southeast, which didn’t provide nearly enough options given the current job market). But that said, I still applied to more southern universities than not, and I didn’t end up applying to any Midwest or Northeast locations.

The two campus visits I have as of now though are snow-free: California State University, Fullerton and University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Im pretty confident ill be receiving a promotion on thursday. And then i have a ball to attend that night as well :D

busy busy
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Spacedaisy »

:yay:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Some universities I applied to are, but some aren’t for sure. I quickly realized I had to widen my geographical range from my initial target area (Southeast, which didn’t provide nearly enough options given the current job market). But that said, I still applied to more southern universities than not, and I didn’t end up applying to any Midwest or Northeast locations.

The two campus visits I have as of now though are snow-free: California State University, Fullerton and University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
Both very interesting choices, CA can be awesome, but LA will be closer to friends/family. Does Daisy have a preference? I have to tell you you are my impressive wunderkind online friend, I brag about you all the time, lol.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:10 am
MovingPictures07 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Both very interesting choices, CA can be awesome, but LA will be closer to friends/family. Does Daisy have a preference? I have to tell you you are my impressive wunderkind online friend, I brag about you all the time, lol.
I know, right? Both universities have their pros/cons as well in terms of likely salary/offer, database resources, teaching/research load, etc., so we'll see what happens. Daisy has been incredibly supportive, so she doesn't seem to mind as long as I find the best fit. She is accompanying me to campus visits to check out the areas too (we actually just arrived in Lafayette!).

Aww, thanks, I appreciate that. Haha. Honestly though a lot of the time I don't think of myself as having accomplished that much.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Ricochet »

I received some results today that allow me to share that I have been offered, applied, interviewed, auditioned for and am to become a University Assistant* at my hometown's Faculty of Music and Theatre, where I've already collaborated as an accompanist** for the past two years and a half.

*apologies, but I never know how these terms accurately translate abroad. I think you have the ranks Instructor -> Assistant Prof. -> Associate Prof. -> Professor in U.S. academies, while ours is "Asistent" (Teaching Assistant / Assistant Lecturer / Assistant Professor / Instructor), "Lector" (Lecturer or Assistant Professor), "Conferentiar" (no real equivalent in English, so basically Associate Professor) and "Profesor" (idem).
**I've been often asked by some of you what this job means, so what I basically do, as a pianist, is to accompany students that play other instruments or singers with musical works in their repertoire that require a piano accompaniment (or a piano reduction of a larger accompaniment, say an orchestral one). Sometimes it's basically chamber music, but to them I rank as their accompanist.

It's a three-year fixed term position, for now, due to not having finished my doctorate (its current status being in shambles, pls no ask).

I wouldn't say it's something to brag about, since for one it was sort of in the books, given that I've been appreciated there both as a student and as an employee until now. Plus nobody else applied for the spot, hence zero competition. Plus plus, the weeks leading up to this have been hectic, because I've had to balance exams at music school with long rehearsals for the students' midterms and with preparing for the interview/audition (including practicing at the piano myself); I'm not entirely satisfied with how I did in regards to the latter, but it was an easy hurdle anyway, so yay? The audition had several parts and I'd give myself a light 7 for the interview, a decent 8 for the teaching demonstration (cut awfully short by the committee ugh), a light 5 for the recital because I'm an underpracticed moron and a strong "ech, those things are never a bother" on the writing subject. Somehow I passed, though, so m'kay.

The only downside is that I might have to give up my permanent position at the music school, despite my fixed-term position status, and revert to an associate there. Regulations and some other stuff, ech. It would therefore be a mere full/part time switch between school and Faculty.

Overall, in case I don't have any major plans or any fuel left in me to still pursue some other career, studies or opportunities abroad (and some might say the clock is near run out, at 28 years of age), this academic direction is likely the one I'm most comfortable taking. Piano teaching at music school is demanding, taxing, frustrating at times and hasn't really awoken in me any wild passion. This job, instead, keeps me active as a musician, I still have my ensemble for more serious stuff, I have good friends and people to relate with around and I seem to be doing a fairly good, invested job thus far. So this rank is a first step.

"Please clap."
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Rico that is great! Congratulations! I am happy to see you take a job that will have you performing more (if I read what you said correctly). I think you will enjoy it more than a position where your primary role is teaching - no crazy parents or unmotivated students to deal with. It seems like a great job for you and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Spacedaisy »

:yay:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 26
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats Rico!

I'd give you a hearty 10 for being a stellar dude.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I am about to travel back to San Antonio now from my second campus visit (Fullerton, CA now; Lafayette, LA was my first a few weeks back).

For anyone who is interested in my job search progress, here is more information on that front:

TL;DR version:

I have two universities that I'm considering at this point. I just visited CSUF (California State University Fullerton), and I visited ULL (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) a few weeks ago.

This interview was incredible. I pretty much fell in love CSUF more than I could have imagined, and the interview went I think really well. I really loved ULL as well, so either university would definitely be a great position for me, but it's now pretty clear that CSUF is my #1 and ULL is my #2.

I should hear back from both next week.

Longer version:

The reason I'm only considering CSUF and ULL at this point are due to them being the only two which I've taken beyond the phone interview phase into the campus visit phase. I had two other phone interviews: Northern Arizona University (NAU) and California State University Northridge (CSUN), but the former made me their first alternate and the latter I actually declined a campus visit because their combination of salary, resources, etc. was very undesirable. I have a few other universities I've applied to which have an even later timeline, the one I was most interested in of those being University of New Mexico (UNM), but the main reason I was interested in them was due to being able to teach Accounting Analytics, which is a class that CSUF has offered me, and the timeline is just too far off. The only way I would consider them is if both these schools fall through, which I now know isn't happening.

Somehow the timing worked out perfectly between CSUF and ULL even though I was worried and thinking it likely wouldn't. I heard from ULL yesterday telling me I will receive an offer if I'm still interested in them, so I should hear back from ULL regarding what their offer is next week. I should also hear from CSUF as to whether I get an offer and what that is as well next week too. So I'll be able to know all of the hard facts making a decision next week, theoretically, unless either school gets held up for whatever reason.

In nearly every way, CSUF surpassed my expectations: (1) more reasonable tenure requirements (both teaching and research); (2) better database availability for my research; (3) better $$ resources; (4) more ways to make $$ than the base salary (which is capped), such as summer teaching support, conference support, etc.; (5) lots of junior faculty and eligible co-authors (because so many of them are still trying to get tenure); (6) the exact classes they want me to teach (either/both Accounting Information Systems and/or Accounting Analytics, which are my most preferred areas); (7) CSUF has pretty much guaranteed that they will pay for all of our moving expenses; etc.

In all of these regards, CSUF is also more competitive and preferable to ULL.

Pretty much the only advantages ULL have are: (1) base salary will be higher and (2) cost of living in Lafayette is less insane. And it's just not enough to justify choosing it over all of the other advantages that CSUF has.

In the end, I've sort of come full circle I suppose. Before either campus visit I was preferring CSUF, but then ULL surpassed my expectations so it went above CSUF, but then now CSUF surpassed those expectations, so it went higher again.

Either way it's a win-win; I think either university would be a great position and that I'd be pretty happy at either university. Nonetheless, I'm trying to make the optimal decision for my happiness and for career opportunities especially considering how much longer I have, and under that perspective, CSUF is the clear winner. So hopefully I'll hear good news from them next week.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Fullerton is the home of Fender, isn't it?

Also reasonably out of LA and not too far from San Diego, and some of the best year round weather in the USA!

Isn't Louisiana closer/easier for family/friends?

I don't know anyone who has lived in or visited So Cal south of LA that didn't love it. It sounds like a few excellent choices, but I am rooting for Fullerton.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 pm Fullerton is the home of Fender, isn't it?

Also reasonably out of LA and not too far from San Diego, and some of the best year round weather in the USA!

Isn't Louisiana closer/easier for family/friends?

I don't know anyone who has lived in or visited So Cal south of LA that didn't love it. It sounds like a few excellent choices, but I am rooting for Fullerton.
It is indeed the home of the Fender! And the location is definitely ideal in terms of weather, things to do, etc.; even after only seeing barely any of the area, I could tell it is pretty great.

I've been throwing around every possible comparison, factor, and angle I can think of over the last 24 hours especially, and although I'll likely be busier at CSUF and the cost of living/salary cap deal makes it less flexible $-wise, it just really is an especially impressive institution (and accounting dept in particular) that I would be super thrilled to work for. I still think CSUF really is the best move both for my career opportunities and happiness, ULL would be good for both but just not as much (especially the former, since they have limited resources). Either option would truly be great though. I really can't wait to see what happens next week. I'm on edge.

Louisiana would be easier and closer to friends and family, so that has been a consideration, but unfortunately it is still relatively far. Lafayette is still a haul driving-wise from OH/KY (almost 14 hours from Cincinnati) and even other places where we have friends and family such as FL (closest FL city is Tallahassee at 7 hours). At either location it's very likely that we would be flying regularly to see folks.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Alex we're talking about you in discord.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

New update:

I received both offers! ULL yesterday, CSUF first thing this morning Pacific time. Couldn't have worked out better.

ULL's offer is about what I expected. CSUF's is significantly better than expected.

Pretty stoked right now, to say the least. I'll be meeting with the PhD coordinator momentarily to discuss negotiation strategy. I'll have a job finalized this week or next week for sure.

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm I am about to travel back to San Antonio now from my second campus visit (Fullerton, CA now; Lafayette, LA was my first a few weeks back).

For anyone who is interested in my job search progress, here is more information on that front:

TL;DR version:

I have two universities that I'm considering at this point. I just visited CSUF (California State University Fullerton), and I visited ULL (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) a few weeks ago.

This interview was incredible. I pretty much fell in love CSUF more than I could have imagined, and the interview went I think really well. I really loved ULL as well, so either university would definitely be a great position for me, but it's now pretty clear that CSUF is my #1 and ULL is my #2.

Longer version:

The reason I'm only considering CSUF and ULL at this point are due to them being the only two which I've taken beyond the phone interview phase into the campus visit phase. I had two other phone interviews: Northern Arizona University (NAU) and California State University Northridge (CSUN), but the former made me their first alternate and the latter I actually declined a campus visit because their combination of salary, resources, etc. was very undesirable. I have a few other universities I've applied to which have an even later timeline, the one I was most interested in of those being University of New Mexico (UNM), but the main reason I was interested in them was due to being able to teach Accounting Analytics, which is a class that CSUF has offered me, and the timeline is just too far off. The only way I would consider them is if both these schools fall through, which I now know isn't happening.

Somehow the timing worked out perfectly between CSUF and ULL even though I was worried and thinking it likely wouldn't. I heard from ULL yesterday telling me I will receive an offer if I'm still interested in them, so I should hear back from ULL regarding what their offer is next week. I should also hear from CSUF as to whether I get an offer and what that is as well next week too. So I'll be able to know all of the hard facts making a decision next week, theoretically, unless either school gets held up for whatever reason.

In nearly every way, CSUF surpassed my expectations: (1) more reasonable tenure requirements (both teaching and research); (2) better database availability for my research; (3) better $$ resources; (4) more ways to make $$ than the base salary (which is capped), such as summer teaching support, conference support, etc.; (5) lots of junior faculty and eligible co-authors (because so many of them are still trying to get tenure); (6) the exact classes they want me to teach (either/both Accounting Information Systems and/or Accounting Analytics, which are my most preferred areas); (7) CSUF has pretty much guaranteed that they will pay for all of our moving expenses; etc.

Pretty much the only advantages ULL have are: (1) base salary will be higher and (2) cost of living in Lafayette is less insane. And it's just not enough to justify choosing it over all of the other advantages that CSUF has.

In the end, I've sort of come full circle I suppose. Before either campus visit I was preferring CSUF, but then ULL surpassed my expectations so it went above CSUF, but then now CSUF surpassed those expectations, so it went higher again.

Either way it's a win-win; I think either university would be a great position and that I'd be pretty happy at either university. Nonetheless, I'm trying to make the optimal decision for my happiness and for career opportunities especially considering how much longer I have, and under that perspective, CSUF is the clear winner. So hopefully I'll hear good news from them next week.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Golden »

Oooh, negotiation strategy. Always fun.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 pm New update:

I received both offers! ULL yesterday, CSUF first thing this morning Pacific time. Couldn't have worked out better.

ULL's offer is about what I expected. CSUF's is significantly better than expected.

Pretty stoked right now, to say the least. I'll be meeting with the PhD coordinator momentarily to discuss negotiation strategy. I'll have a job finalized this week or next week for sure.

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm I am about to travel back to San Antonio now from my second campus visit (Fullerton, CA now; Lafayette, LA was my first a few weeks back).

TL;DR version:

Longer version:

Oooh congrats!! Better than expected is awesome, especially living in CA, extra cash will come in handy. Make sure you get a guest room in your home there; you will need it. You always gets lots of company when you live somewhere like that.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

congrats MP you are so deserving. You and daisy both. Can't wait to hear about your adventures as a professor.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm pretty sure MP will take the California one because I told him to, and what other justification does he need.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Alright, I'm done! I took the CSUF offer! It is official.

I start August 13th.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm Alright, I'm done! I took the CSUF offer! It is official.

I start August 13th.
Here's a job offer. Could you start in around 3 years please?

Congrats Alex. If you stay there for any decent length of time, I'm absolutely certain we will come visit you.
Golden wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 pm I'm pretty sure MP will take the California one because I told him to, and what other justification does he need.
I knew it!
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Epignosis »

MP at the interview:

Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm Alright, I'm done! I took the CSUF offer! It is official.

I start August 13th.
Congrats! :)

When do y'all move?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Congrats, Socky!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Thanks, guys! I seriously cannot stop smiling; I am absolutely stoked. It seemed like I was never going to get here. Now just have to finish up that dissertation and I'm out of here.

Epignosis wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 pm MP at the interview:
Pretty much. :haha:

Dom wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm

I start August 13th.
Congrats! :)

When do y'all move?
We'll be moving in July. Haven't exactly figured out the date yet, but it'll likely be a mid or late month move to California.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

July is a great time to travel cross country. Try to remember to post pictures, and remember to bring your fish with you if you plan to be out of the car for more than an hour or so, big temp swings are not good for him.

(Not sure why I thought of that ha ha. I drove cross country with a fish once and you get a lot of weird looks in restaurants).
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 15

Post by dunya »

[mention]MovingPictures07[/mention]

never doubted you could do it
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 29
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Got my first acceptance. :omg:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:09 pm Got my first acceptance. :omg:
Yay Sloonei! First of many I'm sure.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

As am I. This is my last choice school for geographical reasons, but it's a school and it means I get to move forward with the dream I've been aspiring to for ~5 years now. The anxiety of waiting for an acceptance from anywhere was really weighing me for the last two months. I feel like I just exhaled for the first time in 2018.

Also thank you
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Congrats, Sloonei! :yay:

I know how it feels; at least now you have an option, but hopefully you'll get in your highest preference too!
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Well done Sloonei

The whole idea is sort of foreign to me. I mean, I did have to make the cut for second year law, but it wasn't like 'this university accepted me, this one didn't'. American college education is a foreign world to me, especially the pressure that comes with it. It seems so cruel and unusual - glad the tension is off your back.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I promise to refrain from saying bad things about graduate school until you start saying them yourself. :beer:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Being a Master's student is like super different from being a PhD student, right? It'll be a breeze and I won't have a single complaint ever.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm I promise to refrain from saying bad things about graduate school until you start saying them yourself. :beer:
I could say plenty of bad things about grad school myself (especially the PhD), but as someone who is now finally getting close to exiting the grad school tunnel, I can assure you that it's totally worth suffering through all of the bad things.

Sloonei wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 pm Being a Master's student is like super different from being a PhD student, right? It'll be a breeze and I won't have a single complaint ever.
Something like that.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I don't know what I'd do with myself professionally if I don't go into education, and for the time being there's not much else I feel like doing besides continuing to learn things full-time. I'm excited to be entering this tunnel. I'll probably be way more excited when I get to leave it a lifetime from now.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

And thank you all for the kind words again.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 26
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:28 pm I don't know what I'd do with myself professionally if I don't go into education, and for the time being there's not much else I feel like doing besides continuing to learn things full-time. I'm excited to be entering this tunnel. I'll probably be way more excited when I get to leave it a lifetime from now.
One of the nice things of full-time learning is you might come across other stimulating ideas you'll be passionate about (if you're worried about not getting into education).

Congratulations by the way! I'm really excited for you. :beer:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:28 pm I don't know what I'd do with myself professionally if I don't go into education, and for the time being there's not much else I feel like doing besides continuing to learn things full-time. I'm excited to be entering this tunnel. I'll probably be way more excited when I get to leave it a lifetime from now.
Seriously. With a job lined up for August and my dissertation defense supposedly still in May, part of me still doesn't feel like it's going to come.

Even in the midst of my most frustrating moments and epic meltdowns (and boy have there been many, just ask Daisy), I've never seriously regretted grad school. And that's after 2 years of Master's, all the while getting my CPA certification, and then now closing in on 4 years of the PhD. Not ever, not even for a second. There's a lot of frustration to be found in higher education, but at least from my perspective, it's all worth it and incredibly rewarding. I'd never give it up for any other career.

We really need more people in education who care, and I know you'll be one of those people. Not only that, but you're going to absolutely rock it, I just know it. I wish you the best of luck with deciding on the program and entering the tunnel. :beer:
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pmepic meltdowns (and boy have there been many, just ask Daisy)
For some reason, this is believable at face value, without needing to ask Daisy.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 pm
MovingPictures07 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pmepic meltdowns (and boy have there been many, just ask Daisy)
For some reason, this is believable at face value, without needing to ask Daisy.
:haha:

Well, I suppose that's understandable. :p
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Got my second acceptance! I now have the option of going to school in either america or canada. :ike:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 19

Post by speedchuck »

Sloonei wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 am Got my second acceptance! I now have the option of going to school in either america or canada. :ike:
That's awesome!
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Sloonei wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 am Got my second acceptance! I now have the option of going to school in either america or canada. :ike:
awesome! is Canada where your gf is?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

dunya wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 pm
It is. My American schools are right near the border as well.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:02 am
dunya wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 pm
It is. My American schools are right near the border as well.
that's awesome, really pleased for you! :hugs:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That’s fantastic, Sloonei! :D

Return to “Welcome to the Family”