So Do You Come Here Often?~ Intro's etc.

Are you new to The Syndicate's mafia crime family? If so, introduce yourself here! For all Syndicateers, this is the place to get to know your fellow family members.

Moderator: Community Team

Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Re: So Do You Come Here Often?~ Intro's etc.

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Heh. The vague awareness of Mafiascum as the only other online mafia site and that it is an unpleasant place to play mirrors our awareness exactly pre tournament.
:haha: Ahhhhh, that's too funny. :)
HCRealms also rarely has vanilla roles but our roles are generally not revealed at all except in name only through nightkills/lynches and then in full at the end of the game. Having setup knowledge is usually reserved for specific mafia variants like Texas Justice or One Night Ultimate Mafia. Should be interesting trying out a home brew game with an open setup.

Infodumping is one of the main things I dislike about that community and there has been heavy resistance to restricting roleclaims. The plethora of powers has lead to an attitude of "waiting for info" or "pressure votes" that get removed when someone name claims. I'm okay with a couple townies being able to self confirm with name claims but I've also played games where the theme and player count were so restrictive that there was no room at all for false claims and any townie could self confirm. That's not much of a game, IMO, and it's frustrating that some players have no idea what to do without roleclaiming or a cop to follow.
It has been a very long and difficult battle around here, trying to balance "no infodumping" with "game censorship". Too many times, I have seen a role-checker type of role who KNOWS someone is Mafia, and they get too frustrated trying to get that player lynched... so they drop a post that says something like "I'm 100% sure that this person is bad" in one way or another. Once something like that is out, it never goes away, and everyone else can easily put the pieces together that it was said by a role-checker... and then the game is tainted by infodumping, and the role-checker never really even meant to do it.

You just gotta make a case. If you KNOW someone is bad, then cobble together any convincing-sounding thing you can to sawy hearts and minds - I think that those players who "have no idea what to do without roleclaiming" just need to play harder, do more research, and be more creative. :shrug2: Which is why I support the "no infodumping" side of things.

And it is very much a "spirit of the law" thing, rather than the "letter of the law", which is why some players still go to far and accidentally infodump. To me, a game should be played within the desired parameters that a Host wishes, and it's not good sportsmanship to try and find a loophole in any rules or roles that the Host didn't intend. But I'm rambling now. It's cool to see that you seem to be someone that will enjoy The Syndicate, Jack.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Sounds like you'll fit in real well around here then. :feb:
That's my hope. :)

Went ahead and signed up for a game.

There is a Christmas game open on the realms that could use some more players if anyone wants to try something different and try to siphon off a couple more players for the Syndicate.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569190
Long Con wrote:
HCRealms also rarely has vanilla roles but our roles are generally not revealed at all except in name only through nightkills/lynches and then in full at the end of the game. Having setup knowledge is usually reserved for specific mafia variants like Texas Justice or One Night Ultimate Mafia. Should be interesting trying out a home brew game with an open setup.

Infodumping is one of the main things I dislike about that community and there has been heavy resistance to restricting roleclaims. The plethora of powers has lead to an attitude of "waiting for info" or "pressure votes" that get removed when someone name claims. I'm okay with a couple townies being able to self confirm with name claims but I've also played games where the theme and player count were so restrictive that there was no room at all for false claims and any townie could self confirm. That's not much of a game, IMO, and it's frustrating that some players have no idea what to do without roleclaiming or a cop to follow.
It has been a very long and difficult battle around here, trying to balance "no infodumping" with "game censorship". Too many times, I have seen a role-checker type of role who KNOWS someone is Mafia, and they get too frustrated trying to get that player lynched... so they drop a post that says something like "I'm 100% sure that this person is bad" in one way or another. Once something like that is out, it never goes away, and everyone else can easily put the pieces together that it was said by a role-checker... and then the game is tainted by infodumping, and the role-checker never really even meant to do it.

You just gotta make a case. If you KNOW someone is bad, then cobble together any convincing-sounding thing you can to sawy hearts and minds - I think that those players who "have no idea what to do without roleclaiming" just need to play harder, do more research, and be more creative. :shrug2: Which is why I support the "no infodumping" side of things.

And it is very much a "spirit of the law" thing, rather than the "letter of the law", which is why some players still go to far and accidentally infodump. To me, a game should be played within the desired parameters that a Host wishes, and it's not good sportsmanship to try and find a loophole in any rules or roles that the Host didn't intend. But I'm rambling now. It's cool to see that you seem to be someone that will enjoy The Syndicate, Jack.
Oh, but I love game mechanics discussions. :p

The realms usually allows info sharing like "I copped LC as mafia" but tempers it with fairly common misdirection powers, millers (townies copping as scum), cloaks (scum copping as town) and the occasional naive/paranoid/reverse/random cop that's info can't be trusted anyway. Plus there's nothing in the OP saying there is a cop at all or that character X is the cop so if character X is dead, the guy claiming cop could be lying and then use all of the above as an excuse when the accused flips town. And then there is always the possibility of a scum info gatherer trying to string up an opposing scummer to look good.

We've hit the somewhat paradoxical point where an info gathering role is required to get much of anything done but "I copped JoH as mafia" only leads to my death like 50-75% of the time.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:There is a Christmas game open on the realms that could use some more players if anyone wants to try something different and try to siphon off a couple more players for the Syndicate.

LOL I tried... and then posted a thread in the new member forum, and:

You have been banned for the following reason:
SpamBot

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Haha. Probably happened if you linked to the Syndicate in your first post. Sent a message to a mod to unban you.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Haha. Probably happened if you linked to the Syndicate in your first post. Sent a message to a mod to unban you.
Thanks, that's exactly what I did.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Okay. You've been moderator unbanned but Quebbster (mod) wasn't sure it went though and might need admin approval.

I can click on your profile now without the site erroring out so...you're probably no longer banned. :shrug2:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Okay. You've been moderator unbanned but Quebbster (mod) wasn't sure it went though and might need admin approval.

I can click on your profile now without the site erroring out so...you're probably no longer banned. :shrug2:
Still banned on my end. :D
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 107
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Leave it to LC to get banned with his first post. :haha:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: Sounds like you'll fit in real well around here then. :feb:
That's my hope. :)

Went ahead and signed up for a game.

There is a Christmas game open on the realms that could use some more players if anyone wants to try something different and try to siphon off a couple more players for the Syndicate.

Sweet! I'll register and try this out myself if anyone besides Mr. Ban over there wants to join us. ;)
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 53
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I'm getting in the Christmas spirit with the HeroClickers.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Golden »

juliets wrote:Leave it to LC to get banned with his first post. :haha:
Legitimately amazing!

He has a knack. It's like a callback.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:I'm getting in the Christmas spirit with the HeroClickers.
:beer:

I'm still awaiting activation, but whenever I get activated I'm totally signing up.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
juliets wrote:Leave it to LC to get banned with his first post. :haha:
Legitimately amazing!

He has a knack. It's like a callback.
It is pretty funny. :haha:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

MovingPictures07 wrote:

I'm still awaiting activation, but whenever I get activated I'm totally signing up.
That message is kinda misleading. They really should change it.

The steps are
1) Register
2) Post something without a link to the new player forum
3) Get autoconfirmed/banned
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

That message is kinda misleading. They really should change it.

The steps are
1) Register
2) Post something without a link to the new player forum
3) Get autoconfirmed/banned
Oh, okay! Thanks for clarifying that. I figured it was similar to this site where the admin activates every new member.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MovingPictures07 wrote:

How odd. I saw your name on the site as a "new member".
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Are You New? Welcome! You have taken then first step in becoming a member of HCRealms.com, The HeroClix Community! Before we can give you full access of the site; drop into New Member Forum and introduce yourself! Once we've determined that you're a real, live, person (or zombie), we'll grant you access to the full site automatically. BTW, don't post links ... the system will think you're a SpamBot and automatically ban you. Thanks!
:haha:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Are You New? Welcome! You have taken then first step in becoming a member of HCRealms.com, The HeroClix Community! Before we can give you full access of the site; drop into New Member Forum and introduce yourself! Once we've determined that you're a real, live, person (or zombie), we'll grant you access to the full site automatically. BTW, don't post links ... the system will think you're a SpamBot and automatically ban you. Thanks!
Pffft, as if I read the rules. :pout: I'm unbanned now anyway. :meany:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Long Con wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Pffft, as if I read the rules. :pout: I'm unbanned now anyway. :meany:
No, wait, I'm not... I was just not signed in. :puppy:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Apparently an admin needs to unban and the mods are a bit more active/chummy with the mafia board than the admins. Should get fixed in the next day or two.

You're no longer super banned. You're just on double secret probation.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

:slick: Nice!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

What's the unbanning status of Long Con?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Looks like the game filled up without LC :(

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Butts. I was looking forward to some long cons in that game. MP and I will do our darndest to represent the Syndicate well, or die trying!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:Butts. I was looking forward to some long cons in that game. MP and I will do our darndest to represent the Syndicate well, or die trying!
:srsnod:
TheFloyd73
The Mark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by TheFloyd73 »

I suppose I didn't introduce myself here the first time, so I guess I can make a second impression.

Hello, I'm Floyd, and I made fool out of myself during the Talking Heads game.
Winner:
Tree Mafia (MVP)
Lost Again Mafia (Season One)
Haiku Mafia
Game Of Champions 2016

Host:
Currents Mafia
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

TheFloyd73 wrote:I suppose I didn't introduce myself here the first time, so I guess I can make a second impression.

Good to see you, Floyd, welcome back! :D
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Hi Floyd, glad to have you. Hope you'll play another game soon!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 68
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

TheFloyd73 wrote:I suppose I didn't introduce myself here the first time, so I guess I can make a second impression.

I make a fool out of myself in most games I play. :goofp:

Welcome back bud.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Doober
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Doober »

yea not sure who i am lol been so long. hi
Doober

Post by Doober »

yea not sure who i am lol been so long. hi
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Hello, Doober! Wow, it's been ages. Hope you've been doing well!

So good to see you again. :D
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Doober wrote:yea not sure who i am lol been so long. hi
I recognize your name, probably from the RM chat.

Welcome aboard! :beer:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Golden »

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: DOOBER! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

hi doober! Welcome!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Doober

Post by Doober »

i guess some do remember me lol yes RM. been so long. hi all
Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Fredwood »

Howdy I'm Fred.

I've played and ran games off and on a super casual mafia site that is a bit stagnant, someone posted a link and as I still had my one risky click for the day, here I am. I'm ready to get bulldozed a bunch of times, I like to think I'm a better moderator then I am a player but eh, I'm here now.
Was I the same as when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I am not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I?
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 20

Post by thellama73 »

Fredwood wrote:Howdy I'm Fred.

I've played and ran games off and on a super casual mafia site that is a bit stagnant, someone posted a link and as I still had my one risky click for the day, here I am. I'm ready to get bulldozed a bunch of times, I like to think I'm a better moderator then I am a player but eh, I'm here now.
Hi Fred! Welcome aboard. I look forward to playing a game with you soon, and I promise not to bulldoze you too hard (unless you are bad, then I'm coming for you).
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Hi Fred! Glad you're here. Sounds like your a friendly mafia player so you'll fit right in to our group. I saw you have signed up for a game so have fun! Let us know if there is any way we can help you.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Fredwood wrote:Howdy I'm Fred.

Excellent! I just bought myself a brand new bulldozer yesterday, and I've been looking for a good opportunity to use it.

What's your favorite bulldozing technique?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Fredwood »

Side Casting...and yes I did just look up bulldozing techniques.
Was I the same as when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I am not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I?
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 59

Post by S~V~S »

Hi Fred~ so tell me why you love Hemingway as much as you do?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Fredwood »

lol...because I like him way more then Emerson (Who is a philosopher not a "writer" in the way I see it), Salinger, Williams, Fitzgerald, Hawthorne and Mellville. Plus Old Man and the Sea and The Sun Also Rises are two of the best books I've ever read.

Really though it's mainly Salinger that's giving me fits, everyone else is understandable by opinion. But I REEAAAAALLLY loathe Salinger, so if we just remove Salinger my resolve will weaken.
Last edited by Fredwood on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 59

Post by S~V~S »

Nice answer, I will back off Hemingway for now. He is far from my fave, but yeah, Old Man and the Sea was pretty good :noble:
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

As I said in the Phenon sign-ups thread, welcome, Fred! We're glad to have you here. :yay:

Hope you enjoy it, and don't be afraid to ask whatever questions come to mind. :D
gfishfunk
Stool Pigeon

Post by gfishfunk »

Hello. I'm new here. I'm not new to mafia.

I've run games and made some brilliant plays before. I've also lost horribly and made blatant wire with the best of them.

I enjoy things sometimes and other times I don't.

Historically, I've been very active as a poster, but real life has forced me to allow my playstyle. I rarely take hints well because I never get them.
Sig block: Reserved for future epic fails.

I take things literally. See if you can find an example in my profile!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Welcome to The Syndicate, gfishfunk!!!! :yay:

I see ColonialBob has recently signed up too. Welcome to him as well! So glad to see you folks over here from HCR already. :D

Don't hesitate to let any of us know what questions you may have about how things run around these parts.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

gfishfunk wrote:Hello. I'm new here. I'm not new to mafia.

I've run games and made some brilliant plays before. I've also lost horribly and made blatant wire with the best of them.

I enjoy things sometimes and other times I don't.

Historically, I've been very active as a poster, but real life has forced me to allow my playstyle. I rarely take hints well because I never get them.
Also, this all sounds too much like me. :haha:
gfishfunk
Stool Pigeon

Post by gfishfunk »

Thanks. I was thinking of stealing someone's avatar midgame to create confusion. I'd that frowned upon here?
Sig block: Reserved for future epic fails.

I take things literally. See if you can find an example in my profile!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

gfishfunk wrote:Thanks. I was thinking of stealing someone's avatar midgame to create confusion. I'd that frowned upon here?
It probably would be, yeah, if the joke outran its 15 seconds of fame. :p

Return to “Welcome to the Family”