U.S.S. Tempest - Out Of Character

Moderators: SokothQultuq, Spacedaisy

Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 74

U.S.S. Tempest - Out Of Character

Post by Spacedaisy »

Hello Syndicate members!

Some of you have seen this Crazy Klingon hanging around the site by the name of SokothQultuq. He's an old friend of mine that I met many years ago playing in a Star Trek themed sim. We have been tossing around the idea of starting up a Star Trek themed sim here at The Syndicate, so I wanted to toss this out there to gauge interest in such an idea.

You may be wondering, what the heck is a sim?

Well, going back to its roots on AOL and even before, this was essentially a "Simulation" in which whatever topic you were interested in you simulated the character and situation in your head and acted that part. Its much like D&D in the fact that you create a character concept, grow it, and play it. Its sort of like acting. Just like in D&D you have a game master which we call a "SIM Master" the only difference is there are no dice involved. The SM comes up with a Storyline and has an idea on where it should start and end. You fill in the gap. It's much like fast paced cooperative story writing. it requires you to have only an imagination and the ability to type.

Some of the players who migrated from Lostpedia might recall The Whispers. This was essentially a sim as well, only the format was a bulletin board sim. For the purposes we are looking at here, we will be using the live chat format. The reason is that it requires less time investment (one hour or two once a week) and has a different feel. While in a bulletin board format one can get more detailed with the writing, in a chat format it fosters a community feeling, a team working together toward the end goal as they collectively tell the story. Perhaps someday we will supplement the chat format with a bulletin board sim as well for those that might prefer it, maybe even venturing out side the Star Trek themes, who knows. But for now we are looking at a chat format sim. We would have a weekly time we meet up to play, and it usually runs for an hour or two. We can decide as a group what the best time will be and what kind of ship/era in which we want the sim set. Also, don't stress about being strict on time investment, we get that everyone has busy lives and there will be weeks you can't make it. If we can establish a few core players then others can rotate in as they are available with no issues at all really. We will start out with some one off practice sims, unrelated to the storyline we will eventually get into, so everyone can get comfortable with the format and has time to work out what kind of character they want to play.

So what do you say? Have you ever thought what fun it would be to pilot a ship like the Enterprise? Or be the Chief Engineer of a ship like Voyager? Does creating a character to play who will have a position on a Star Trek starship interest you? Well come play with us! You're guaranteed to have some some fun times!
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman
Posts in topic: 125

Re: Syndicate Sim

Post by SokothQultuq »

It wouldn't be right not to vote yes! LOL

I've been involved in star trek Simminig for a long time. As far back as 1997, I Previously Captained my own ship for 5 1/2 years in total and participated in many others in various positions. If i can answer any questions you might have about the concept I would be happy to answer.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

*raises hand*
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Really? You of all people have a question? ::Face, Palm::
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

What's the in flight movie? :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

::He shakes his head:: For you it is going to be that Star Wars Ewok Adventure. If that isn't torture enough we can arrange four hours of Teletubbies followed by Barnie...
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

:sigh:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

::He chuckles:: Okay, okay... I'm not that mean. Give me some credit. It's actually "Galaxy Quest". I cant have just a little fun.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Not really my thing.

Well, the Sim idea is fun (and sounds like the game of Fiasco DH hosted for us), but I'm not into Star Trek.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I have not played fiasco but there are similarities and differences from what I understand. I'm going to have to try Fiasco soon. :)

And not everyone is into Star Trek. I'll only vote to lynch you Day 1 for a few games for this blasphemy. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I've done plenty of role playing, so it sounds great. :)

I do admit though that it'll be a bit difficult for me to do it in the live chat format because my daily schedule is not terribly consistent. I can do my best.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 7

Post by S~V~S »

I really don't have time, but I would like to spectate occasionally if that is allowed?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Absolutly. A lot of the time there is some fluidity in the positions so if you wanted to play randomly you could as well. Generally we fit players where we can or where they would like. Spectating is perfectly fine. 8-) If you decide you want to play as a random character we can work with that too.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 7

Post by S~V~S »

OK, if it is not a defined commitment, I can work with that too. So I will say yes, but won't be able to be a major, or regular, character.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Here is the tentative plan, if we can get an idea for those who might enjoy something like this, then what we would like to do is organize a one time sim session, so you can try it out and play. This will be a one off so to speak. If everyone enjoys it we will plan another, I would guess for maybe the first three or four, they will continue to be one off kind of practice sessions. You are welcome to come and play whenever your schedule allows, you don't have to be there from the start or there every week, think of it like the shows. Each session will be like one episode, whatever characters show up to play that night will be the ones who we use that week. So there is no requirement you show up every week, even after we get into a regular ship/era setting. While there will be overarching story lines by that time, it won't require you be there every week. So all we want here is to gauge interest. And we will plan a one off trial from there.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

When and if it becomes something more than just a few one off attempts, usually as the Captain i send out a "Captains Log" which is essentially a recap of the events that happened and I generally include the chat log from the room that night so that people can stay up to date with whats going on. Usually via E-Mail or I could do it on a bulliten board page. Either way we do keep everyone informed as to whats happening that is interested so they are not lost too if they come in mid storyline.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

SokothQultuq wrote:When and if it becomes something more than just a few one off attempts, usually as the Captain i send out a "Captains Log" which is essentially a recap of the events that happened and I generally include the chat log from the room that night so that people can stay up to date with whats going on. Usually via E-Mail or I could do it on a bulliten board page. Either way we do keep everyone informed as to whats happening that is interested so they are not lost too if they come in mid storyline.
:nicenod:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 50

Post by DharmaHelper »

Keep me postted aye..
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm totally new to this kind of thing and I'm not a huge Star Trek fan either, but count me in. :beer:
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Golden »

Depends on timing - I have my hands well full at the moment. But something I'm interested in trying.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

How many folks do we need for this to get started, by the way?
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Well, let me think... The important posts needed to be filled to do at least a couple of test runs..

SM, CO, HELM, TAC, ENG, MED so about 6 honestly. But the typical Chief Positions are SM, CO, XO, HELM, TAC, ENG, MED, OPS, SEC, SCI, CNS (Rare but sometimes..) and I think that covers it..
SM = Sim Master - Kinda like the DM in Dungeons and Dragons.
CO = Commanding Officer
XO = Executive Officer
HELM = Helmsman or Chief of Flight Operations
TAC = Tactical Officer
CENG/ENG = Chief Engineer
CMO = Chief Medical Officer
CSEC = Chief of Security
CSCI - Chief Science Officer
CNS = Chief Councilor

Those are the typical positions and if there are an overflow of poeple we start having them play Assistant positions which usually are an "A" and the position. Such as ASEC, AMO, AENG..
A little lesson I guess in simming "Tags"
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

So we have been playing around with various options and we are thinking Chatango will be the best option for venue for the sim. They have seemed to improve it to make it very usable for mobile devices and has the customization we need to make a sim more streamlined and easier to play. Now we can start talking about when a good time for everyone who might be interested to give it a first shot. Dan already has some fun stuff in store for our first couple practice sessions. I'm kind of excited to see how it goes. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Sounds fascinating enough to want to try!!!
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

:lorab:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nerolunar
The Mark
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Nerolunar »

I voted yes because I love the general idea, but I know nothing about Star Trek. Can I still play?
ImageImage

Regardless, I think Nero should be lynched on grounds that he's my partner, your partner, Enrique's partner, the Joker, the Riddler, the Gingerbread Man, and Toto.
LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Nerolunar wrote:I voted yes because I love the general idea, but I know nothing about Star Trek. Can I still play?
I'd imagine so. But, really, watch some Trek.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Nerolunar wrote:I voted yes because I love the general idea, but I know nothing about Star Trek. Can I still play?
Absolutely! :hugs:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nerolunar
The Mark

Post by Nerolunar »

I am going to check out a wiki or something. Just to get a feel of the locations and atmosphere if nothing else.
ImageImage

Regardless, I think Nero should be lynched on grounds that he's my partner, your partner, Enrique's partner, the Joker, the Riddler, the Gingerbread Man, and Toto.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Nerolunar - There certainly are plenty of them out there. They have most of the series and some of the movies on Netflix and other streaming services so its not a bad idea to watch a few shows. It would also give you an idea on what kind of a character you want to play. Essentially the role on the ship you want to play. If this kicks off and we make it a regular thing being able to create a character around what it is you want to do would be helpful to you in the long run.

Once we do decide to pick an era in which we will play that will also give you a good idea on which show series to watch to help acclimate will help too. But we've not really discussed that yet too.

One thing we will also be looking for if playing a specific role on the ship isnt of interest we'll be looking for a few Story Tellers. (Sim Masters) to also participate so even if you play a random character while trading off that position it might also work for you. Having more than one SM helps because it can keep the story fresh and allows you to brain storm ideas together. interweave storylines for long term events and help each other with individual one off stories.

I think one of the funnest parts of playing in this for me has always been creating characters with a Rich Background and growing it. You can start as the fresh newbie right out of Starfleet Academy or semi-experienced officer all the way up to the "Old man of the oaks" status guy who's just enjoying the career ride. Its really up to you. But thats a bridge we cross when and if this becomes an actual thing. The character you make can be as complicated or a simple as you want. Usually for first time people I tell them to put together a character concept that fits them the best just the basics and then grow as you play. As you interact with other players you might talk about experiences in Starfleet, on that ship you once served or that Battle you once fought in and that starts growing your character. If you've played Role Playing games like D&D you probably get my meaning. Daisy and I will also be able to help you a lot with your characters. Some things that will add restrictions onto our game play will involve the era because during certain times there are certain races and species that were not part of Starfleet so that will also put some constraints on characters. For Example: You couldn't play a Ferengi in Starfleet before the time frame that Nog became the first cadet in Starfleet from the Feringi alliance. Or for that matter a Klingon. As Worf has always been the only known full blooded Klingon in Starfleet. However I've always been very flexible about discussing proposals for characters and "Home grown" characters or cultures within the game as long as you can convince me that its plausible and logical. As an Example: I had a group of players that was able to make a good argument on how the characters from the cartoon series "Swat Kats" were able to live within the Star Trek World. Well there are Catians which are Cat like Humanoids. So why couldnt it be plausable for them to exist in the Star Trek Universe. The argument was sound I allowed it and Chance and I think Jake Furlong were part of my ships history. LOL My First Officer was a home grown species which was something like the cross between a Q and Jedi, and that concept worked because we needed him to fight his twin brother who was just like him but more powerful. Best longest running storyline we had was involving that man. It ran for a couple of years. So it is possible to get exceptions to the rules, we just need to talk.

The ship is something that you should keep in mind. I generally like to have the crew vote on what ship class we end up using, as well as the Name. Once we have the base of the ship in mind, I generally build out general specifications and get your input on any specific build out changes we want based on the era and time frame. This can change the make up of the ship in some cases due to War, or mission or both. So if your a trekkie and you have or know an Era you want to play in start considering a class of ship to use. But keep in mind when the class comes available.

Here is something for your reference: http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/federation.html This is a great site for Starships, and their specifications as well as other information. I use it a lot as a reference.

Something to note, for our first practice SIM we will be using a Miranda Class Starship so looking over the specifications at the Defensive Systems, Decks, Crew Compliment, to get some basics wouldnt hurt. But not a necessary thing.

Sorry I'm rambling on.. LOL
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Golden »

I really just want to be there when someone beats the Koboyashi Maru.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

That's the second practice run...
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I think you forgot this smilie :feb:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Yes.. yes I did. LOL :feb: :haha: :slick:
Nerolunar
The Mark

Post by Nerolunar »

That sounds pretty cool, although also a little confusing :eek: I hope we can start soon because I have a few weeks before Im going on a hiatus for 2 weeks at about 24th of June.
ImageImage

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I will play if I get to be the plucky space janitor.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I'm sure it could be arranged, somebody has to clean the latrines...

So, if we were to run our first practice session this week, what days/times work for you all for our first go round this coming week. Let us know all the days/times that would work for you during this coming week and we will set up the first session based on those answers.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Damnit Jim I'm a Janitor not a clock.

ImageImage
ImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Depending upon the time Saturday or Sunday would be better for me. Just because I know in September I will be starting school and I know for a fact I wont have school on those days at night. The later the better because I'm on the Pacific Coast.

http://syndicatesim.chatango.com/ <--- Here is a link to our temporary room while we figure out the ship.

I was thinking maybe somewhere between 9-11 East Coast Time to start. Just some thoughts to get us started.
Last edited by SokothQultuq on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

But for the purposes of practice sims. I could probably swing just about any day/time right now.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I'm off Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday so I'm open availability on those nights this week. I open tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. So really the only evening I couldn't make work this week would be Wednesday.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Any day and time works for me apart from Sundays. and I'm going on a vacation in two weeks, but other than that I should be good. Also I don't plan on being much more than a casual observer for now anyway.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Oh yeah, this reminds me, I don't want us to run over the time frame DH and Aces use for their game. Which is Sunday afternoons I believe. Correct?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Spacedaisy wrote:Oh yeah, this reminds me, I don't want us to run over the time frame DH and Aces use for their game. Which is Sunday afternoons I believe. Correct?
Sunday from 1-5 usually. EST

ImageImage
ImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 24

Post by insertnamehere »

This sounds vaguely familiar.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

insertnamehere wrote:This sounds vaguely familiar.
Oh? And hey! Welcome back!! :hugs: :daisy: You've been missed.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 24

Post by insertnamehere »

Thanks! Yeah, I had the idea to make a bizarre RPG/Mafia hybrid that was insanely ambitious, frayed my nerves to no end, and ended with me abandoning ship, and being disproportionally ashamed of doing so. This sounds much closer to what I actually wanted to accomplish, and I'm excited to play!
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Well you are more than welcome sir, and I am very glad to see you again!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

So do you want I should go and pull some old examples of logs to post as examples to help people understand whats going on with this when we do start? A tutorial sorta thing?
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

That might be good idea actually.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage