POLL: Scoring and Settings Preferences

Discuss everything related to The Syndicate's fantasy football league here!

Choose your preferred options:

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS
No votes
4 points
6%
6 points
16%
Don't care
9%
POINT PER RECEPTION
No votes
0 points
6%
.5 point
16%
1 point
6%
Don't care
6%
WAIVER WIRE SYSTEM
No votes
Rolling priority waivers
9%
Priority changes each week based on standings (last place picks first)
13%
$100 Free Agent Acquisition Budget (bid "money" on free agents each week)
3%
Don't care
9%

Total votes: 32
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

POLL: Scoring and Settings Preferences

Post by Turnip Head »

I figured I'd make a quick poll for everyone to choose their preferred settings for the year. Please choose one from each category!

This would also be the place to discuss any other changes you'd like to see, or any other concerns you might have about the league settings.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Re: POLL: Scoring and Settings Preferences

Post by Epignosis »

Voted.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BigDamnHero »

Me too...

Also, I'm a fan of all-purpose yds. It allows even the lowliest of bench players to score as much as a top tier player (i.e. punt returners).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

If we did all purpose yards, then return yards would be worth less than rushing/receiving/passing. Something like 30 yards per point, maybe even less.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Voted and Turnip Head thanks for getting this organized so early this year.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 really is giving a damn.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think 6pt TDs overvalue QBs and 0ppr undervalues WRs, but I honestly don't care that much. It's all a crapshoot anyway. I'm down for whatever.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Personally I'd love to play with 1 IDP spot, but I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea :P
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Turnip Head wrote:If we did all purpose yards, then return yards would be worth less than rushing/receiving/passing. Something like 30 yards per point, maybe even less.
I think this undervalues A LOT of lower tier players whose contributions are equal to that of any other player but the only time they get a chance to make plays is on special teams. For example, last year Ameer Abdullah had more yds as a kick returner than he did at the RB position, and that had value for his team but wasn't reflected in our league.

It would also make things more competitive because there are more options at free agents rather than sifting through the pile of garbage hoping for someone who could score more than 3-5 pts. in a given week.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Turnip Head wrote:Personally I'd love to play with 1 IDP spot, but I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea :P
I'd like that too. Always annoyed me that defense gets no love in FF.

I think if we include all-purpose yards, then we should respect the other phantom yardage that never gets its due. Punter yardage. :noble:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

BigDamnHero wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:If we did all purpose yards, then return yards would be worth less than rushing/receiving/passing. Something like 30 yards per point, maybe even less.
I think this undervalues A LOT of lower tier players whose contributions are equal to that of any other player but the only time they get a chance to make plays is on special teams. For example, last year Ameer Abdullah had more yds as a kick returner than he did at the RB position, and that had value for his team but wasn't reflected in our league.

It would also make things more competitive because there are more options at free agents rather than sifting through the pile of garbage hoping for someone who could score more than 3-5 pts. in a given week.
I'm trying to do a max of 12 teams per league, and at least this first league will have a short bench (5 players). It shouldn't be too difficult to find decent fill ins or even every week starters on the waiver wire, and there should always be something there if you need it. Players DO get points for return TDs so those types of players are still valuabke if you need to roll the dice.

linki Lmao, punters. Now I'm sold.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

-2 points for every bad longsnapper snap.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Should we just make a league with all the obscure and ridiculous scoring methods? 3 starting QBs anyone?? :noble:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Three points for every dab. :clap:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Epignosis wrote:Three points for every dab. :clap:
He said he's retiring it.
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Turnip Head wrote:
BigDamnHero wrote:

I'm trying to do a max of 12 teams per league, and at least this first league will have a short bench (5 players). It shouldn't be too difficult to find decent fill ins or even every week starters on the waiver wire, and there should always be something there if you need it. Players DO get points for return TDs so those types of players are still valuabke if you need to roll the dice.

to your first point, I will concede that a smaller league will alleviate some of that, but to the second point, those players only have value IF they score a TD. They could run it back for 60, 70, 80 yds, but ONLY get credit for the effort if they get it in the endzome which, given the state of kick returns, is few and far between.

I look at it like this: fantasy football is like coaching an actual team of players. Just because a player doesn't score doesn't mean they don't have value. Every yardage gain should have a benefit not just to the individual but to the team.

I seem to be the only one in favor of this, so I'm fine to concede to the group consensus.

I've never played in an IDP league, so how does that work? Is there an extra slot for that position or does it eliminate Def or take another position's spot?
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Turnip Head wrote:
$20 says he still dabs at some point this season...

I think he should bring back the Charleston...

...until he accidently round-houses another player (or even funnier a referee) or else tears his ACL. :haha:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Probably a Tim Tebow fan wrote:I've never played in an IDP league, so how does that work? Is there an extra slot for that position or does it eliminate Def or take another position's spot?
I've seen it both ways. It can either take the place of Team Defense or complement it.

With IDP you get points for things like tackles, sacks, passes defended, those sorts of things.
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Turnip Head wrote:
Probably a Tim Tebow fan wrote:I've never played in an IDP league, so how does that work? Is there an extra slot for that position or does it eliminate Def or take another position's spot?
I've seen it both ways. It can either take the place of Team Defense or complement it.

With IDP you get points for things like tackles, sacks, passes defended, those sorts of things.
You realize this isn't the Psych thread, right?

I'd be good with IDP to complement the normal DEF pos.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

BigDamnHero wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
$20 says he still dabs at some point this season...

I think he should bring back the Charleston...

...until he accidently round-houses another player (or even funnier a referee) or else tears his ACL. :haha:
Better yet...

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:MovingPictures07 really is giving a damn.
Damn straight. :mafia:

I'm pretty much just playing if you all need another person. All this terminology went in one ear and out the other last time. :p
Scotty
Jeff
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:MovingPictures07 really is giving a damn.
Damn straight. :mafia:

I'm pretty much just playing if you all need another person. All this terminology went in one ear and out the other last time. :p
Just draft the best wicket-keeper on the board and try to get as many birdies as you can on the first pitch!

:beer:
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

BigDamnHero wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:

You realize this isn't the Psych thread, right?

I'd be good with IDP to complement the normal DEF pos.
I know I don't have a lot of leeway here as a potential newcomer this year, but I personally don't like playing with a DEF slot. I personally prefer to allocate it to another WR slot. But then again, I also don't like having kickers so I'm a weirdo like that.

But ultimately, I will go along with whatever the group decides. And I've never been in a league that used the IDP, so it might be interesting to try it out and see what we think of it.

I may or may not be talking myself into doing this btw. :haha:
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

BigDamnHero wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
BigDamnHero wrote:

to your first point, I will concede that a smaller league will alleviate some of that, but to the second point, those players only have value IF they score a TD. They could run it back for 60, 70, 80 yds, but ONLY get credit for the effort if they get it in the endzome which, given the state of kick returns, is few and far between.

I look at it like this: fantasy football is like coaching an actual team of players. Just because a player doesn't score doesn't mean they don't have value. Every yardage gain should have a benefit not just to the individual but to the team.

I seem to be the only one in favor of this, so I'm fine to concede to the group consensus.

I've never played in an IDP league, so how does that work? Is there an extra slot for that position or does it eliminate Def or take another position's spot?
I like the way this man thinks!

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Screw it. Let's do all-purpose yards. Significant kickoff returns are such a rare event in the NFL nowadays anyway. Plus adding an extra kink of strategy is always interesting to me!
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Don't forget to sign up BWT! I'll move the sign ups thread to this forum.

I think all purpose/ return yards is a bit silly unless it's something like 30 yards per point, and maybe a 100+ yard bonus. That way a big TD run is worth about 10 points, I think that's fair. Special Teams just doesn't have much time to impact a normal football game, and I think their fantasy output should reflect that.

If I could delete kickers too, I would :feb:

I would however be down for an IDP slot if enough people were in favor of it.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Turnip Head wrote:Don't forget to sign up BWT! I'll move the sign ups thread to this forum.

I think all purpose/ return yards is a bit silly unless it's something like 30 yards per point, and maybe a 100+ yard bonus. That way a big TD run is worth about 10 points, I think that's fair. Special Teams just doesn't have much time to impact a normal football game, and I think their fantasy output should reflect that.

If I could delete kickers too, I would :feb:

I would however be down for an IDP slot if enough people were in favor of it.
I definitely will! I want to see if I can handle doing 4 leagues this year. Because I'm a sado-masochistic bastard. :P

If there's a way to just implement it for kickoff returns I would be in favor of that. Otherwise I agree. It's such a rare event and usually has very little effect on the outcome of a normal football game that I think it should be reflective of that in a fantasy league.

If you could delete kickers, I would love you forever. I hate playing with kickers almost as much as I hate playing with defensive units. But maybe you could add an IDP slot and take kickers out that way? :shrug:
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Looking over the rules, I see trade approvals are set for 4 days...maybe we wanna change that to 2 days, maybe 3? Because presumably after the week ends monday night, if someone wanted to trade for a player playing thursday, it wouldn't go through in time.

also, did you check whatever box to ROUND-UP pts...or whatever that was that got messed up last year on the ESPN site?
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I vote for fractional points because ties are bullshit. :D

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Good idea Dirk, I'll change the trade approval to 2 days. Here's the thing though, I switched from a veto system to commissioner approval. Veto system has never worked out in my experience. I hope you guys can trust my judgment here. I won't veto any trades unless it's clear collusion or sometime is trying to rob someone who has no idea what's going on... which, since MP isn't currently playing, shouldn't be a problem :P In a perfect world, no trades will be vetoed.

And yeah, we have fractional points enabled. Yahoo has that box checked automatically, AS IT SHOULD BE :P
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

I'm good with ALL of that...
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

No punter? :why:

(I'm good with it)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

Now thats in excellent point! Why don't punters get points if they pinned opposition back at the one yard line or having exceptionally long hang time on the return? Then you can also get negative points for muffing a punt.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

While we're at it, let's have points for which fans cheer the loudest. CenturyLink Field should be picked up second, third round.
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Voted
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.

Return to “Fantasy Football”