You're Gonna Miss Me (Chapter 4)

We aim to misbehave! Join the crew of Jenny Wren in this sim set within the Firefly Universe.
Kitsune
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Kitsune

Re: You're Gonna Miss Me (Chapter 4)

Post by Kitsune » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:55 pm

"What are you laying around for lad, can't you see our pilot's dodging incoming space?" Teddy laughed heartedly

Kit waved he hand above his head and picked him self up taking a second glance at the bottle while he dusted him self off.

"Alright Kit, it's your connection, so how about you take lead?" Ellie said from behind him.

Looking back over his shoulder "Yea sure" heading over to the ramp and opening both sets of doors. The ramp however lowered till it got to a 25 degree incline. "Huh" kit examined and headed up the ramp to check it out. They appeared to have landed in a pasture and not a refueling depot. a few small streams traveled around the jenny, the ground was pure mud. Shaking his head and cursing to him self he turned back to the rest.

"Hope you're not wearing your good cloths." Which Kit was wearing some. A type of cow approached the ship, clearly it was not afraid. Kit saw this and replied back "good news I think we found a ride" though he knew they would not be riding a cow.

LiamWhelan
Patsy

Isolate Posts by LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Ellie stood thoughtfully looking at the message, trying to inwardly quell the sense of dread she felt rising. She drew a slow, deep breath and straightened up to look Low in the eye, "We don't know any of that for sure. He could be taken by anyone. We'll find him. In the meantime, he's made of stronger stuff than he looks." She wished she felt as confident as she tried to sound about finding him.

"Before we can do that though, we need to get Jenny flying again. Which means we need fuel, so let's go." She turned and led the way out of the cockpit and to the stairs down to the catwalk, inquiring over her shoulder as she moved, "Did you break anything in that landing?"

Low nodded, "Nothing we can't fix with a bit of brute force, speed breaks saying its broken most likely just need to get out and physically tweek them a bit and they should return to normal." he followed her as she headed aft. "Just thanking my lucky star's that was the only thing that appears broken."

She came upon Teddy laughing on the stairs and peered down to see what was so funny. Kitsune seemed to be brushing himself off and looking at a bottle of something or other. Lifting an eyebrow she asked, "Want to join us planetside, Teddy?" and went on past him to meet up with Kitsune in the cargo hold.

"Alright Kit, it's your connection, so how about you take lead?"

Low took stock of the various messes about the cargo hold and nodded thanking they didn't damage too much both inside and out.

Looking back over his shoulder "Yea sure" heading over to the ramp and opening both sets of doors. The ramp however lowered till it got to a 25 degree incline. "Huh" kit examined and headed up the ramp to check it out. They appeared to have landed in a pasture and not a refueling depot. a few small streams traveled around the jenny, the ground was pure mud. Shaking his head and cursing to him self he turned back to the rest.

"Hope you're not wearing your good cloths."
Which Kit was wearing some. A type of cow approached the ship, clearly it was not afraid. Kit saw this and replied back "good news I think we found a ride" though he knew they would not be riding a cow.

Slowly walking to the edge of the ramp, he glances around with a bit of a grin. "Odd how some things just work out..." he pointed outside the craft. "Nasty but that's probably what saved us from external damage and cushioned that drop. Good and lucky I'd say." he glanced over at Kitsune. "Where we off too?"

@Ellie @Kitsune @Teddy

Teddy
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Teddy

Post by Teddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 am

When Theodore saw Kitsune rise and still had the bottle unbroken, he punched a fist in the air and shouted down at him "Good show Sir, just bully of you! Gotta keep your priorities eh?"

Things had calmed and it was noticable that the ship had landed, his ears could even hear the engines winding down and the struts settling. He shook out the ache, or at least tried, the pain in his shoulder that revealed itself during the landing, and muttered under his breath. He saw Ellie approach and peer down on Kitsune, then look back at him. "What to join us planetside, Teddy?" He came to a form of attention, and smiled back. "It'll probably be safer down there, then aboard with our pilot currently I'd think." A smile crossing his ace, "At your disposal, Miss Ellie." He came about, and followed behind her.

"Patriotism means to stand by one's Country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official." Theodore Roosevelt (Earth proper, early 20th century)

Fellow Simmer at: scifi-imperium.proboards.com

Kitsune
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm

ATTENTION-ATTENTION-FAIR WARNING- THIS IS A JOINT POST BETWEEN ELLIE, LOW and KIT- SHINANIGENZ INPLIED- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Low nodded, then turned and disappeared heading back into the ship, figured he would likely need his rifle just in case. It didn’t take him long to get to his quarters, pull the thing off the wall and sling it before heading back to the Cargo Hold. “I’m good to go!” he said glancing about.

While Low was heading away Kit walked up the ramp again and measured the distance from the top of the ramp to the upper part of the ship using his body. The Mule would fit by his reckoning. “I think we can get her out without scratching the paint” He said to the captain.

“Scratching the paint adds character.” Low said with a smirk.

Ellie glanced between Low and Kitsune, “If either of you scratches the mule, you’re repainting it!”

Low chuckles. “So she’s driving apparently.” he says eyeing the mule dubiously.

Kit jumped up onto the back and layed down on his back “Well I know I’m not.” crossing one leg over the other and tipping his hat down over his eyes. Teddy meanwhile, squeezed into what little space Kitsune left him.

Low exchanged glances with Ellie, “Isn’t he directing this show?” he peers over the edge of the mule. “I take it were visiting the owner of this property? I assume so since we landed here.”

“Well we were going to his fuel depot and that’s probably where he was heading when he picked up our transponder signal entering atmo, buuutttt… cant rightfully say now.” Kit said still lazily reclined in the mule.

“Good place as any to start I suppose.” he looked over at Ellie. “Want me to drive, or do you want the wheel this time?”

“Well you got us this far alive, what’s another short jaunt?” She climbed into the passenger seat and looked at Kitsune in the back, “Does you friend have a name?”

“Danny Gilzeen, was called The Darkness, back in the day, cause he is darker than midnight on a sunless moon.I mean pure soul sucking creepy” Kit scoffed

Low nodded and climbed into the driver's seat taking a moment to belt himself in, then flipped the switches to start the motor and waited while it warmed up and the thing went through its own self diagnostic tests. Reaching down between the seats he pulled up on the long lever and depressed the button on its end releasing it from its mooring that kept it in place. “And away we go!” he said putting it in gear and giving it some gas. He slowly guided it out the cargo hold, and over the ramp and had to give it a bit more gas to get it through the mud bog at the base of the ramp but soon they were on dry land and he increased speed directing the craft towards the distant buildings.

As the landscape zipped by Low pointed towards a series of tanks and a gantry in the distance not far from the building they could see. “Betting that’s the refueling depot.” he said as he turned the vehicle toward that location.

Kit lifted the brim of his hat just a bit to see what Low was talking about. “I reckon or he is stockpiling a shit ton of cow shit.”

“Could be both.” Low said with a chuckle.

“Well we can’t fly Jenny on cow shit, so let’s hope it’s the fuel,” Ellie remarked.

“Ah, but methane is one of the many chemicals that are used in fuel production so, it’s more likely an export than a fuel source.” he said, starting to slow the mule as they got closer to the depot.

“Wow I did not see the Encyclopedia Britannica coming out of that guy.” tipping his hat back down over his eyes.

Low simply gave him the finger, while laughing, then brought the Mule to a stop.

Kit lifted the brim of his hat yet again confused to why they stopped then realized. “Well guess we have arrived.” Getting up and hopping of the mule.

In the distance a small group of people started approaching them a slender pale man with dark black clothing and black facial hair and semi long black hair, who was accompanied by three ladies two of whom looked like grease monkeys, or scavengers (One carrying a giant ass wrench) and one businesswoman.

Low took a moment to set the parking brake, and then shut the motor off. He glanced at his other two companions, then unbelted himself and slid from the vehicle standing beside it.

Climbing out of the mule, she watched the group approaching them. She hoped Kit’s friend was trustworthy, it was always so hard to tell on some of the Border planets.

Teddy’s eyes narrowed at the sight of the group approaching, he didn’t like the look of them. Ellie noticed his hesitance and said, “Why don’t you hang back, keep an eye on the whole picture, make sure we’re covered for anything we might be too close to notice?” He gave her a nod and climbed out of the mule. He leaned up against the side facing the approaching group, and while his stance looked casual, Ellie knew he was in a prime spot and position to take someone out should the need arise. She smiled and gave him a knowing nod before turning back to the other two.

Kit noticed the ladies approaching. And made a strange sound “HUWAAAAA!!! I LOVE LADIES!" And took off at a run toward them spouting all kinds of unintelligible words with great enthusiasm.

“This is not going to end well…” Low muttered.

Ellie nodded her agreement, “But at least he’s bugging someone other than me, so I’m not going to complain. Besides, I think we can handle it even if it does go sideways, which it most likely will.” She grins jokingly at Low.

As he ran kit passed by a shrub with blooming flowers and in a blink of an eye had snatched a large hand full without slowing his pace. When he was within arms reach hi same spinning to a halt on one knee and offering up the flowers. “wéi nǐ , wǒ de fū rén” Presenting it to the taller of the mechanically inclined females.

Low took his hand off the rifle sitting down next to the chair. “Naa, he’s totally got this.” he couldn’t help but smile watching what he was pretty sure was about to be a train wreck of biblical proportions.

She shifted her toothpick in her mouth looking at kit with utter dubiousness and took the flowers he had just snatched off their trees, but said nothing.

The man with them spoke up “So how many did you lose just now in the crash, I hope it was a few” wringing his hands together “Hogs have not had fine fiddles in some time” evilly grinning

“It was more like a controlled, crash landing.” Low said walking forward. “Just a few bumps and bruises. You must be, the Darkness?” he felt weird saying it like that but it seemed fitting.

The man’s voice sent a chill up kits spine and made him want to vomit. Such a sinister sounding man who even kit couldn’t read or ever get used to. Standing he gained his composure and seriousness. He handed Dan the bottle of thousand needles. “Sorry about the cow pasture”
Turning slightly “Let me introduce you, Daniel this is our Captain Ellie McKee and our pilot Liam Owen Whelan or Low."

Low gave a nod. “Nice to meet ya.” he said as he walked up to the man to shake his hand. Low felt the hair stand up on the back of his neck as the man seemed to grip his hand for an incredibly awkward amount of time, the look he gave staring at his hand and skin was enough to creep anyone out.

Ellie wondered if it really was nice to meet him, but all she did was give a small nod as well, her face passive as she simply said, “Hello.”

Dan spoke. “Nice grip you go there son, and your skin color, why I have not had such a good grip from someone with that skin tone since that stabbing vic on Osiris decades back…. Man she had a grip on her…… rigamortis and what not.”

Low glanced down at their hands. “Gonna need that back, or I’m going to have to start charging by the minute.” he said. If felt awkward, that look made his stomach churn a bit.

As Ellie observed this exchange she couldn’t help but wonder if everyone in Kitsune’s sphere was so prone to extremes. She certainly never knew what to expect, and couldn’t have guessed this was who they would be dealing with. She only hoped they could get the fuel and get a move on.

“Well on to business, that’s why you’re here” Daniel began “ Now as I said in my wave fuel out here is at a premium, it runs about twenty two times the rate you would find on most worlds” he looked to the captain “And I can assure you, you will not find a better rate than what I’m given ya, what with you hauling this sorry sack around.” pointing to kit.

Ellie’s eyebrow lifted, as she registered this news. She said aside to Low and Kitsune, “Or last job won’t cover that.”

“Maybe we could come to an agreement, you got anything you need moved off world?” he asked. “Maybe we can haggle on that price a bit?” Low asked taking a few steps away for comfort.

“Well to be honest folks I don't need anything moved off world, Most of my business is here on Harvest but as I am sure Kit knows I am the local Sheriff for these here parts, and I don't have the manpower to tend to all that needs tending too. Ifen you all need work I just got landed with a missing person's case that we just don't have time for. Daughter of a landowner here in my county…… course there's other work to be had here too.” Handing Kit a pad from the business lady. “One of our county’s wealthier citizens is hiring a mess load of hired guns, says to protect his mine and what not. Couple banks who could use extra hands during their pay day delivery….” leaving it at that for them to look it over.

Kit looked at the job offerings, there was a few but one listing caught his eye, not a single viewing, and the posting only said we need help but we can't pay much. He handed the pad over to the captain.

Her eyes skimmed the list. They didn’t have time to work for a mine. And she tried not to get involved with payrolls, it was like painting a big target on your back, messy. “Any kind of reward in the missing persons case?” she asked without looking up from the list.

“Oh aye they are offering pay that would damn near cover your fuel cost, but I warn ya I don’t think it’s a missing persons. We don't have missing persons here on Harvest, it's likely she ran away off world or got knocked up by some rich fella and he's keeping her round till he has what's owed him. She went missing near Clint, a small town a few miles west of here. If that's where you're heading I suggest you stick to your task and don't let the people there try to get you to do their side jobs. Every time I go there they hound me to no end.”

Clint was the name of the town on the help request on the job listing Kit realized.

Finally Ellie looked up at the guys, she handed the list to Low and asked them both, “Well what do you guys think? Whatever we do, we’re going to be working the job together so I’m open to input here.”

“We could pool all the money and side money we got from Vegas and pay for the gas but I am pretty sure once we get back we will be stranded on vegas…. Not a place we want to be seeing how we just high tailed it out of there” kit noted. “So i say we take the job find her and get a going. Like he said she probably left or is with someone, either way we can find out.”

Ellie sighed, “The problem is you don’t get good reward money for telling them she left with someone, you get good reward money for finding the missing person and getting them home safe. I don’t want to waste my time. We have our own missing person to find, remember?”

“You’re right, but I figure getting this off his plate and her parents off his back will ingratiate him to use some what, perhaps enough to get us the fuel we need and money left over for fuel once there.” Kit hoped, though he thought he hoped the money they got on vegas would have been enough for fuel too and look where that got him.

“If we don’t find her, we don’t get the parents off his back or the job off his plate,” Ellie remained unconvinced.

Low finally decided to chime in listening to the two go back and forth for a time. “How about we go inquire on the details of that, see if there is a deadline to complete that missing persons thing, do another task or two that will get us some quick money now and then get off this rock?” he shrugged. “Kill two birds with one stone, and get paid on the back end.”

“Well it seems you both want to take the missing persons case, so let’s go ahead,” she was hesitant still, but not because she didn’t like the work. She had enough experience with this sort of business back on Whitefall. She just wasn’t entirely convinced they weren’t going on a snipe hunt.

“No, not what I meant. I said we should at least get more information on it to see if it’s something viable we can do on the long term, that kind of pay we shouldn’t just pass on lightly.” he said.

“Either way it’s the only job that pays enough, and doesn’t require a long stay…. Aside from bank work.” Kit responded. “And they do that whole taxes thing, background checks and that pesky reporting to the FDIC stuff.”

She shrugged, “Let’s do it. We can look for other work while we are at it, like Low suggested.”

Teddy
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Teddy

Post by Teddy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:18 am

Theodore nodded in affirmation to Ellie's request, and while the three of them walked towards the group that approached, creating a small buffer zone, he stayed back. He leaned back on the Mule, and pulled a knife and a piece of wood off the ground, and began strike the two together; wildling it down. Every fair sized piece that came off, he picked at his teeth with. He looked very casual and very indifferent to what was going on, very much a hired hand. While his sidearm sat comfy at his side, and his shotgun slung over his back, he didn't look threatening, he looked bored.

That was the idea.

He'd learned long ago, a woman could be just as dangerous as a man, even more so, and he didn't want to take any challenges. He watched the group talk, and took a drink from his canteen. There was an exchange of information of some kind, but he kept his eyes open on his surroundings; without actually appearing to do so.

When the group returned with information and their decision, Teddy commented lowly to Ellie; "Not sure what ya'll were talking about, but we weren't the only ones present to it." When Ellie looked at him, he continued. "About a mile, mile and half, off to the West, in the tree's behind the paired boulders; caught me a glint of a reflection. As soon as you three started heading back, I could see a small dust cloud and trail heading away." He took another swig from his canteen, never fully looking at the direction of the odd activity, just in case they were still being watched.

He flicked a piece of the wood from his teeth, into the ground. "So, what did our cohort's friend have to say? Anything interesting?"

"Patriotism means to stand by one's Country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official." Theodore Roosevelt (Earth proper, early 20th century)

Fellow Simmer at: scifi-imperium.proboards.com

Kitsune
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Kit looked to the direction Teddy had advised of a glint then back to the group. "You three head on back to the ship and get what ever you need I will talk to Dark and see what's going on and maybe coax some more information out of him related to this job." Tipping his hat to them he turned and headed back towards Dark's entourage.

"So you're the Law-Man, what made you go back?" Kit asked Dark.

"Well you know, you just cant get it out of your blood no matter how hard it gets."

"I know what you mean."

"I see that, bounty hunter P.I., Has to be entertaining"

"Not as much as you think some times."
Playing coy

"Then why not join up here, you know I don't care about your past."
placing his index finger on kits chest " and I know a guy, highly regarded here who could perhaps pull some strings and get you on the payroll, I have it on good authority he's the Law around these parts."

"Perhaps, It would be good to get back into uniform again" Kit knew he was not going to join up, he had something more important to do.

"To be honest though I really could use a man like you right about now. You know that Kid your sister hung out with back in the day, the lanky one with the red curly hair, loads of freckles. Newton."

Kit immediately snapped to and had a serious look on his face at the mention of his sister and her associates.

"He's here on planet, got here nine days ago and since his arrival our homicide rate has gone up more then 800%. I hear he's an arms merchant these day's and I am willing to bet a years wages, some of those deaths were product demonstration."

"You think he's selling to the guy hiring out all your guns?"

"Absolutely, I just cant prove it." shifting slightly to one leg "and around these parts you don't do anything with out proof"

"What is going on, on this rock"
Kit mubled to him self. He might not have gotten anything on the missing persons, but he got much much more.

LiamWhelan
Patsy

Post by LiamWhelan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 am

Low watched the rest of the exchange in relative silence, slowly surveying the area. It was pretty wide open for long stretches, he didn't care entirely much for such wide open spaces usually meant it was easy for people to see you, shoot you from a distance. The conversation of weapons and exotic ones at that did catch his ear, which meant they should be expecting anything while on this visit to the planet. While he was somewhat excited to be doing something for the greater good, he had started questioning at least in his head if they should be really encouraging or working with this man, but they were desperate for fuel.

Things started to stand out to Low, the three ladies, this man called Darkness. Something didn't feel like it was adding up to him, the hair on the back of his neck was starting to bristle. He narrowed his eyes and began to survey the distance. He was certain he had seen something but his mind wasn't quite sure what it was.

Low moved closer to the Mule, now leaning against the side watching. Looking for a glimpse of whatever it was he thought he saw, 'Your seeing things' his voice echoed in his head. That itching feeling didn't go away. He was clearly preoccupied with this, all the conversation around him faded into the background until all he could hear was the rhythmic breathing.

He was scanning, when his eyes stopped catching just a hint of a dust cloud not far from a Tree in the distance. "You expecting any other company Dark?" he asked slowly pulling the rifle from his shoulder, slipping a scope from a jacket pocket he slipped it into the socket spinning it and locking it into place. Flipping the caps open on the scope and using the hood of the Mule to steady himself he took a glance through the scope in the distance hoping to catch a look at what was out there.
Last edited by LiamWhelan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsune
Patsy

Isolate Posts by Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Kit's mind unsettled but he overcame it so that he might continue on with his information gathering. "Could there be a rival group apposing the guy on the job posting?"

"Anything's possible but I don't think anyone on harvest could compete..... But that's besides the point lets get you back onto the missing persons case for me. "

"Alright"

"the data is all there in the file, but I would recommend going back to follow up with the family and friends your self, see if anything new has developed or if their stories have changed."

still a bit of his brain preoccupied the moment his sister was mentioned. "Roger standard fact finding I can do."

"Great this will be a real big help you just don't know."

Lows voice rang out from the mule in mid conversation. "You expecting any other company Dark?"

Both Kit and Dark stopped talking, Kit instinctively drawing his weapon at the tone in Lows voice, the girls and Dark moving with purpose to the mule for cover. Kit moving to a large decretive rock formation meters away from the mule. Now kit would really like to have had a long rifle on him of any sort.

"Not on that ridge, That's just beyond my property line. But the Man who owns that parcel is 98 years old and I have not seen him off of his porch since I arrived."

LiamWhelan
Patsy

Post by LiamWhelan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 am

Low stared intently through his scope scanning the ridge line in the distance. "Whatever it is, its not moving slowly. But it's putting up very little debris. So its not a hover or grav vehicle. Could be on foot, or in a rolling vehicle. Moving too fast to be on foot, heading..." he waited for a moment for another drift of dust to rise, and he indicated away. "I can't see anyone though. They know the property well enough to keep hidden." he said glancing over at Darkness. "You have this problem regularly?" he resumed looking through the scope, but began scanning down the ridge the other direction just in case this was a decoy.

"Hard to say, I've done my fair share of righting wrongs, and in doing so rubbed people wrong in the process." he said squinting to look into the distance himself. "Probably just came looking at what came down out of the sky." he said jerking a thumb into the distance at the Jenny.

Low nodded. "Let's hope that's the case. Last we need is more trouble." Low said.