Closed Doors and Open Windows (Chapter 3)

We aim to misbehave! Join the crew of Jenny Wren in this sim set within the Firefly Universe.
Ellie
The Mark
Posts in topic: 71

Re: Closed Doors and Open Windows (Chapter 3)

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Bridge

Low stood back up from the flight controls console and strolled towards the front of the bridge, looking out the windows out over the bustle of the space port. It wasn't exactly busy but there were people still moving around. He shook his head, they had no idea how terrible life could be. Most of them had not lifted a finger in violence, some did far too often. He suddenly pondered if perhaps he had made it into the latter category. Had he exerted himself too much by way of violence over the years. Having lived through a war, and worked mostly in security ever since having left prison. He had a nice long list of dead bodies in his wake. He leaned against the windows watching the people, even the few of them that there were. "Lucky bastards." he mumbled to himself. Part of him was anxious to get off this rock, but his usual attitude towards the slow and easy road gave him the patience to wait. He fished into one of his pockets and pulled out a nutrient bar, and began eating it. Watching the world outside the ship with mild curiosity.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Jane's Quarters.

Having finished up what he was doing Kitsune left Jane's quarters. Once out in the hall he heard a masculine voice coming from the cockpit. He turned and looked to see the side of the man from the Galley. The captain said she would do introduction but Kitsune decided he might as well do his own. To him this guy seemed interesting. Haggard and Grizzled yet he had this way about him that wasn't so off-putting as one with those characteristics usually are. As he stepped into the cockpit Kitsune saw the man take a bite of a food stuff bar. He almost horked in his mouth as the memory of the taste entered his mind. you eat those when your low on food not cause your hungry. He began to shake his head as if to shake the nasty flavor from his mouth.

"Please don't tell me you enjoy those" Kitsune spoke to the man

He in turn just shrugged his gaze remaining transfixed on the transpiring's of the world outside.

"Names Chris" Offering him a hand

"Liam" the man replied turning and shaking Kits hand "But folks call me Low"

"Nice to meet you partner, now come on let me get you something to eradicate that taste from your mouth." turning he lead the man back to the galley.

Entering the galley Kitsune say Fiona still there siting comfortably on one of the galley couches a glass of water in her hands, arching her back forward and staring at the floor.

As Kitsune approached the bar he pointed with an open palm to the man to have a seat on one of the stools. Moving behind the counter Kitsune saw a glass in the sink, by the smell it contained one of his cooking liquors, a dirty earth blend of rum called Nanaki's Potion. Potent but more suited for mixed drinks or cooking, yet someone did it strait. He realized it had to be Low. Reaching beneath the counter Kitsune brought forth a black and gold bottle with a colorful label.

Uncorking it he poured Low a new glass, thru in a split red pepper and set it in front of him. "you have to try that with some of these desserts I made". Kitsune universally known for his massive sweet tooth opened the ice box and pulled out pre-plated dessert trays. He always kept a small stack in the icebox. On the plates were two chocolate truffles and a small slice of Lemon Curd Italiano Semifreddo. Kitsune knew that Chocolates can bring out the distinctive characteristics of the 1000 needles tequila. The first truffle was a spicy Savannah flavored with honey, cayenne, apello chili, white pepper, and hot Hungarian paprika topped with a chili mango. It packed quite a punch, but was delicious and contrasted beautifully by making the tequila burst with fruitiness. The other truffle, had a Morella cherry aged in French brandy, with white pepper and a rich dark chocolate ganache. The sweetness of the truffle combined with the smooth fruitiness of the Tequila truly made for an elegant dessert course. Finally the Semifreddo was a classic Italian dessert which unique lemony taste paired it well with any good beverage.

Kitsune set one of the plated in front of Low, spinning a fork in his free hand and stabbing the Semifreddo once the plate hit the counter. "bon appetite".

Low looked at Kitsune a little funny but decided to give it a shot.

While that was going on Kitsune picked up another plate and fork and headed over to Miss Fiona.. "Here you go Ma'am, I hope this will help" offering her the tray.

Tag: Fiona and Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Galley

"Please don't tell me you enjoy those" Kitsune spoke to the man

He in turn just shrugged his gaze remaining transfixed on the transpiring of the world outside. "Yeah, guess it became a bad habit from the war. You kind of get used to living off the things, when your staring anything tastes amazing, even these.."

"Names Chris" Offering him a hand

"Liam" the man replied turning and shaking Kits hand "But folks call me Low" he regarded the lanky man standing in front of him. He seemed thin to the average eye but Low could see his corded muscles and knew the man was deceptively athletic and muscular.

"Nice to meet you partner, now come on let me get you something to eradicate that taste from your mouth." turning he lead the man back to the galley.

Low stole one more glance outside and turned and headed aft towards the galley following the man. His gate told him the rest, he was sly about it but his steps were measured. A man who when needed could move and potential deal damage swiftly and perhaps even scarily. Liam nodded to himself admiring that ability. He preferred to shoot and then ask questions later. He found himself sliding onto a seat, and before he could start asking a question the man began to present him with a variety of things. First some sort of liqueur, by the smell when it was uncorked it was Tequila.

"You have to try that with some of these desserts I made" he said producing a couple of plates from the freeze. He began to describe them and Low suddenly found his mouth was watering. He didn't much care for incredibly spicy things but this was sounding intriguing. "bon appetite". he said, then took the second plate to the weary young lady still sitting at the table. He was happy that she was at least feeling better. It always tugged at his heartstrings when a child was ill, injured, or worse.

He popped spicy Savannah flavored truffle in his mouth and took a swallow from the glass and let the two mingle in his mouth as he chewed the truffle, it was like a savory explosion in his mouth as the two mixed together. He swallowed just as the spice hit him, he gasped. "Hot damn." he exclaimed blowing out. "Good lord..." he fanned his face. "That..." he swallowed hard. "That is some good stuff. And it's a kick in the teeth!" he said, laughing. He was sweating now. "Where did you learn to cook stuff like this? And on a ship of all places?" he popped the other truffle and took another swallow from the glass and let the two mingle and was greeted the same.

TAG: Kitsune & Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Passenger Cabin

Graham turned a slow circle, taking in his new quarters. It was plain, there was a single occupant bed with a simple blanket, sheet and pillow. A small, worn desk bolted to the floor. Paired with it was an equally worn wooden chair. Next to it was a metal box affixed to the wall with a bar that appeared to be a handle, which Graham pulled to discover folded down and revealed a very small sink. He knew water was a precious commodity on a ship, so he knew to use this sparingly. Finally, there was a metal closet structure affixed to the wall. No dresser, or other place to keep belongings. Good thing he had only packed his medical bag and a single duffel of clothes and belongings. The whole thing gave him an intense feeling of claustrophobia. Probably more because he had just thrown his entire life's work away to live in this tiny room than due to the size of the place. Luckily, he wouldn't need to spend every waking moment in this cabin. Carefully unpacking his clothes, he hung them neatly in the closet. He placed a few personal items in the drawers and set a framed photo on the desk. Then he tucked the duffel bag away and picked up the medical bag. Now it was time to go see his new infirmary.

He had noticed it as he went looking for Ellie earlier, just off the cargo hold. Heading down the small corridor, e passed by the other passenger cabins until he reached the spiral stairs. Passing these as well he went left and through the door into the cargo hold, then walked along the back side of the hold until he reached the opposite side of the ship and found the door to the infirmary. The door resisted a bit as he tried to slide it open, clearly it didn't get much use so far. The air felt stagnant, probably from lack of circulation since the door was usually kept closed. The room was fairly bare, with a thick layer of dust coating every surface. Two beds were spaced in the center of the room and the outer walls were lined with cupboards, shelves, and counters. A couple roll away carts were tucked under a counter. He perused the various cupboards and shelves, pulling open drawers and just generally taking inventory of what kind of supplies they had. It wasn't much in the way of medicines. Not surprising since medicine was generally expensive. But basic supplies were well stocked. Nothing fancy as far as medical tools, but the same kind of equipment he had been accustomed to working with back home. He hadn't been living on some well to do core planet, he was a family practitioner on a border world. He could definitely make do with what was here and what he had in his bag. He dropped his bag on the counter and located some rags and a wash basin, which he filled with hot water. Rolling up his sleeves he started scrubbing the entire place down. He wanted it sterile before he ever had to work in it.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Spiral Staircase

As she stood there collecting her thoughts, a delicious smell floated down to her. Taking a deep breath, she went on upstairs and came into the galley to find Kitsune cooking and Low taste testing. She stood at the top of the stairs and listened to their friendly conversation as they got to know each other. She smiled to herself. It was nice having Low here, and even Kitsune was growing on her. He was certainly helpful in a pinch, and no questions asked. Even little Fiona, giving them a scare earlier had pulled them together. Yeah, for the first time since she set out on Jenny Wren, it was starting to feel like a real crew. Stepping lightly across the room she took a seat at the counter, "What's cooking Kit?"

Insert interaction here Kitsune

"I see you guys have met then?" She eyed the two of them, wondering how they would work together. They were very different personalities, but somehow she thought they might hit it off. "Guess I should let you guys know, the Doctor and I have come to agreement. He's going to be joining our crew as well."

Tag: Low, Kitsune, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

"I see you guys have met then?" She eyed the two of them, wondering how they would work together. They were very different personalities, but somehow she thought they might hit it off. "Guess I should let you guys know, the Doctor and I have come to agreement. He's going to be joining our crew as well."

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seem's kind of out of place on a Ship." he said before looking back at Kitsune as he went about his culinary wizardry.

Tag: Ellie, Kitsune, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:LOCATION: GALLEY

"Where did you learn to cook stuff like this? And on a ship of all places?" Low said downing the second truffle.

Kitsune placed the tray next to Fiona and returned to the bar "Well back in the day I had a lot of time sitting around watching things like doors and alleys and the only thing constantly present no matter the time of day was the Galactic Food Network. On top of that when I had time off I found it very Relaxing." Kitsune came back to the counter. "As for the on the ship, well a few weeks back we visited a Core world and I decided to look into a better way then few weeks out having only canned or dried goods to rely on. So I visited a junk yard and found some really high quality stuff....well you know how the rich just pitch stuff cause its out of fashion or needed minor repairs.. I found a large refrigeration unit capable of holding large quantities of fruits and vegetables and a deep freezer for some meats and all both them needed was a little maintenance. I also found a liquid nitrogen dispenser , a vat fryer and a dehydrator. So I just had Timmy our ships resident tinkerer fix them up and here we are. With the ability to keep stuff in the cargo bay longer I was able to expand our meal selections....and seeing how I have no real function on this ship I spend my days creating things for the crew." His mind drifted to thinking of serving beautiful ladies his creations and their reactions, like falling for him, causing him to grin and get this pervy look on his face. and as if on cue.....

((*INSERTED CONVERSATION IN ELLIES POST*))
"whats cooking Kit." Ellie chimed in

Sweeping up a tray of rice balls and sushi as he began to spin his way over to Ellie. "Ellie-swan!!" as he reached her he spun to a halt on one knee and removed one of the refrigerated lids revealing the food inside.

"Thank you Kit" she said picking up a Rice ball and walking over to were Low was sitting.

Shutting the Lid kit gain his composure again and walked back behind the counter.
((*END INSERT*))

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seems kind of out of place on a Ship." he said

While Low and Ellie talked Kitsune decided to replenish the two dessert trays he had just pulled, Not that he would likely run out sugary confections anytime soon. He still had that whole tub of candy he bought from the Old-timer. What to make he thought. "Perhaps a marbled white chocolate cheese cake with clotted cream fudge drizzle. Or perhaps a Hazelnut-and-Chocolate Meringue Cake. No wait a peanut butter chocolate tart......." then it hit him " Nectarine Pavlovas!! surely such a delicious rose like dish for such a beautiful rose" pounding one fist into the palm of the other. He begins his prep work.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona got up, processors still off, and stumbled out of the general area of everyone else, only a bit drunkenly. She still wasn't used to the ship's movements and she doubted she'd ever be fully comfortable with it. Her head was throbbing and she felt distinctly untethered.

She wandered off down the hallway and went to the cabin she'd been assigned. She closed the door behind her and, judging the room to be as secure as it possibly could be, she knelt and took out the artist's portfolio from beneath the bed. She set it on the bed and pulled the blanket up over it. Then, making herself as small as she could be, she curled up on the end of the bed and completely removed her processors and the control box. She dumped them on the floor, completely ignorant of their cost and delicacy as she normally would be, and let her fingers rest on the bag containing the priceless book she'd risked everything to steal.

Fiona didn't want to cry, but her body was not in the habit of listening to her (or, really, anything). She cried anyway.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Galley

As Kitsune removed his first item, a whipping bowl, he noticed out of the corner of his eye the young man Timmy leaving the engine room with an empty dolly that he was taking back to the cargo bay. "That's it" kit thought putting the bowl down and walking off after Timmy.

Timmy having been contemplating things as he moved, walking oblivious to the others, smelled something sweet right next to him. He quickly snatched up the Lemon Curd Italiano Semifreddo from the plate left on the couch for Fiona and took a bite. "Fancy core world Fru Fru." talking with the food in his mouth, he continued walking.

"Mind if I use that Timmy sir?" he asked Timmy.

Timmy stopped, turned, still chewing some of the dessert, and shrugged an "I guess so" as he handed the dolly over to kit before continuing on. mumbling something about not sir

"Thank you kindly" kit spoke. This is what he needed to get Jane down to the cargo bay with out creating a huge scene.

a short while later Kitsune had loaded the casket up and delivered it to the cargo bay were he saw Timmy heading into the dorm section, most likely to use the spiral stairs back to his office. Kitsune headed that way him self as it came up into the galley anyway.

Timmy having reached the spiral stair case stopped walking around in contemplation at the sight of movement between the stairs. There was someone in the Infirmary. Timmy squatted down and looked thru the stairs. He saw a man he didn't recognize. Timmy began sizing him up. He was well dressed, groomed with nice hair, clean but then Timmy saw something that didn't sit well for just a brief moment. He continued to sit there seeming to struggle with his assessments.

Just then Kitsune came in the door behind him and noticed Timmy crouched on the stairs. He thought it be best to leave him be he obviously was thinking of something. So Kitsune slide past Timmy and started to ascend the stairs when he felt a tug at his pant leg. Looking down he saw Timmy holding his leg with one hand, his other hands thumbnail in his mouth as if truly struggling with something. Then Timmy let go of him and pointed forward. Kitsune bent over to see what he was pointing at, seeing Graham in the infirmary. "Oh that's one of Ellies friends he's going to be the ships doctor." He continued on up the stairs, Timmy remained bit longer staring. He then returned to the task of cooking.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Galley

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seems kind of out of place on a Ship." he said.

Ellie glanced over her shoulder at Fiona, who was getting up and leaving the room just as she looked over. "Don't rightly know to be honest. She came onboard back on Beaumonde, I believe. Seems skittish, probably a runaway. Other than that, I got no knowledge of her. Bit of a lost little lamb really. I seem to attract 'em." She grinned and gave him a wink. "Wait 'til you meet my mechanic. Kid's a real character, but I'm pretty fond of the boy. Sure does give me a lot of trouble if I don't keep an eye on him though." She chuckled at the memories, but there was a fondness in her eye as she talked about Timmy, it was the nearest to motherly Ellie had ever looked in her life, though she didn't realize that. "Top notch mechanic though, don't think I've met finer." Even as she said all this Timmy wandered through pushing a dolly, but stopped to snag the food Fiona had left behind. He went on without seeming to have even noticed their presence though. Kitsune followed Timmy and Ellie said to Low, "That was him, now you've seen my whole crew. What do you think?"

Tag: Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low sat and listened to Ellie tell him about her crew, his new companions. He glanced over as Timmy made his way through and Kitsune seemed to chase him out looking for something from the kid. He frowned but for a moment, he turned back to Ellie and opened his mouth as if to ask a question but stopped. "I never would have thought you'd turn into a mother hen." he smiled and gave a chuckle. "Though having kids aboard and in space. The black isn't a forgiving place, certainly not a place for the average kid. But they don't seem average." he took a bite of the food that had been placed in front of him. "But as far as the whole, I can see this being very interesting." he nodded to himself. "When do we leave?" he asked, his voice took on an anxious tone for a moment. "Really don't want to be here when my employer gets back, which should be anytime."

There was a smell, something from the kitchen that suddenly snapped him back to the past, back to the mine. He blinked as images suddenly flooded his mind. Hie eyes glazed over for a moment, and he steadied himself with a firm hand on the bar. Closing his eyes for a moment he took in a sharp breath and let it out slowly opening his eyes then offering a half-hearten smile.

Tag: Ellie, anyone else in the Galley.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Teddy wrote:Location: Out doing Errands and Deliveries

Teddy rode along with Kitsune as he had been ordered to, but stayed mostly quiet.

Being a former Alliance Officer, and having been 'on the run' for under a year now, he still wasn't sure where he fit in. He was a soldier, a leader among men, held dozens of medals and commendations for his actions against the Reavers and during the infernal war against the Brown Coats. Yet, having fallen from the Alliances grace due to their refusal to deal with the Reaver threat, and constant cover ups, he found himself ostracized from the world he knew, and the service he loved.

Now, he was out here, living like a bandit, with bandits, as if in the Old West he'd read about in books. He was a gun for hire, who actually did worry about (sometimes) who he was pointing the gun at. But, for now, this 'ship' he was on, and her captain, were the closest thing to home he had, and she'd stuck her neck out for him to get him away from the chase team that almost had him that year ago.

Once back aboard, the Theodore helped unloaded the materials, and then stood along the gantries in the cargo bay. He retrieved a flask he carried with him, and took a few plugs from him, and leaned over the railing. He stood and let his mind wander for a bit, and chewed on an unlit cigar as well; using a hanky to wipe the sweat from him brow, then replacing his hat.

He heard footsteps approaching, long before he saw whose they were, but he had a guess. Ellie had a soft, yet determined gaint to her walk. As she ascended the top stair on the level he was at, he smiled at her; red heads always seemed to bring out the warmest smiles from him. "I see you made it back in one piece." He nodded to her "And you and Kitsune didn't kill each other.", he chuckled and smiled broadly "No Miss Ellie, no not today."

He watched her open the case, "Not quite the drugs I think that Kitsune thought he was transporting." She commented as she was going through everything. Teddy nodded "No. But medicine can be worth a lot more then illegal drugs, especially to the right people." He wasn't sure how he felt about all of this underhandedness and the illegalities of his current life style, but unlike some uncurthed brigands he'd chased and fought in the past, so far these people at least had a code, and while may do things illegally in the eyes of the, they were at least giving the people a square deal; which is something he fully agreed with.

Ellie locked up and away the materials, than turned back to Theodore "The doctor wasn't able to save Jane, she passed away a bit ago." He lowered his head and shook it, "Ahhh..." he groaned, as he kicked the railing post. "I know you two weren't friends or anything, but for now you seem to be part of my crew so I thought you deserved to hear it from me." He nodded, and removed his hat, taking another plug from his flask, before offering it to Ellie for a drink. "Friends? No... But, she was the lass that saved me from a wrongful death, and stood for me when others wouldn't."

He saw Ellie look at the flask briefly before drinking "Don't task to much, it's strong and it'll..." He scoffed "It'll make your hair grow... but it'll take a sting of the mind away briefly too." He hit it again once he got it back. "But allies at least, I think. Tis a shame. She was at least an honorable woman" he said with a smile "for a turncoat." He said with a friendly mocking tone.

"We're deciding whether to take her out after night fall and bury her here or give her a burial in space, you have an opinion or feelings on the matter?" Theodore thought a moment, and re-holstered his flask in his coat. "Oh well now, lass, that is a bit of a heavy question..." His time in the service, he had seen a lot of funerals and burials, some large and extravagant, some simple by men in the trenches; some done out of necessity, some out of procedure.

"I didn't know her enough to know what her wishes were?" he paused a moment, and seemed to 'look far away', and as if talking to nobody particular "All depends on what your view on our souls are, I suppose. At what point can they finally rest..." He took his glasses off his face, and cleaned the lenses, a habitual OCD/ADHD habit that he had, and looked back at Ellie "It's a big question..."

OOC Note: will catch up on the second part, later, but wanted this one posted.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low & Kitsune wrote:Joint post between Low and Kitsune with guest appearances by Timmy and Ellie….played by Kit and Low.

he nodded to himself. "When do we leave?" he asked, his voice took on an anxious tone for a moment. "Really don't want to be here when my employer gets back, which should be anytime."

“How about nowish?” Ellie said spinning in the stool and standing up. “If that's alright by you.” Ellie decided it was best to just head out now that the contraband was on board too get the ship into orbit.

“No not at all” low too got up and headed for the cockpit.

Low took his time getting the ship's systems online and ready to go to leave the planet, it took a bit longer than he would have expected for the ship to come up and the engines to be ready for lift, he began running through the usual flight systems checks to ensure they wouldn’t have a malfunction and end up nose into a mountain. It was not exactly what he wanted and would most certainly make this a very short tour. Once he saw a green board and that the ship had been buttoned up and sealed he waited for a long moment to allow people to get there things stowed and started increasing power to the engine's, rotating them to provide lift and steadied the craft for climb. It was a little shaky as he got used to the flight controls, the ship was more sensitive compared to previous craft that he’d piloted, which he felt would most certainly come in handy in a pinch. The vessel roared up into the sky, and they punched through the cloud cover and burst into the planet's upper atmosphere then the vessel began to vibrate and shake as it pulled away from the planetary gravity well.

The total trip into orbit probably took about eight minutes in total, he verified that they were clear to navigate and pulled away from the planet’s gravity well, heading towards the local star. “Looking good so far.” he said as Kit walked onto the bridge. “Ellie said you wanted to send off our recently departed?” he asked watching the cook.

Kit nodded and checked the vessels navigational sensors looking up traffic in and around the system to ensure no celestial objects or vessels were in their flight path towards the systems sun. Nor would they be for some time, it was ideal for a burial in space. “Yeah!” he nodded. “Looks like we’ve got a clear path. I’m going to go down and get things ready.” he said and disappeared from the bridge.

When he had gathered all his things he began his benediction. Long and drawn out as it was. But as he drew it to a close he noticed only Ellie and Low were present. Perhaps it was for the best he thought. With that he moved over to the airlock view port and waited till it was clear to finish.

When they were out of Greenleaf’s orbit and gravity well Kit put Janes coffin in the airlock and let the vacuum pull it out sending it adrift toward the sun.

Low stood at the back of the cargo bay choosing to keep his distance, he didn’t know the deceased so he didn’t feel so attached. Despite not knowing her he did feel for the crew, losing one of your own, blood or not, had a bit of an impact. He remembered how he felt when he had lost some of his friends during the war, lost a lot of people that he didn’t know. But the sting was no different when they were part of his own crew. He especially remembered how he felt when he woke up after being captured and had no idea what happened to Ellie. He had thought she was dead at the time. It was devastating, after fighting along as they had and to suddenly lose her, not to mention their entire unit. But he couldn’t help but feel for the old crew of the Jenny.

Ellie came down the set of stairs and approached Low. "Were heading to the Space Bazaar Vegas orbiting Newhall, please go lay in a coarse."

Low nodded

“We have to deliver the packages we just picked up here on green leaf with my contacts.” Ellie said. Kit was approaching as Low started to leave. “Once we are there I will take the packages out while the crew gets some time to shop and stretch their legs. Be sure to pick up the previsions we need” looking to Kit.

A while later...

As the Jenny Wren approached the space station Vegas, in deep stationary orbit of Newhall, Kitsune pointed out the large cargo landing bay that was open. "Look there's a large cargo bay open, that would make it Ideal for loading up goods. it's also a lot shorter of a trip between the bazaar and the ship."

"Agreed." Ellie replied as she began to signal the station for intent to land and the proper permission to do so. A few moments past and an acknowledgment is returned from the station electronically to the Jenny. "We're clear to land" Ellie said looking at Low.

"Right." Low replied and began to maneuver the Jenny towards the open spot but just as he did a Stingray class personal transport screamed over the top of the ship cutting them off..

"Mother..." Kit started.

The stingray landed in the Large cargo bay its broad wings taking up space just enough to keep the Jenny from landing. "Did you happen to get that jibái húli jing registration number!?" Kitsune profaned.

"Yea give me a sec." Low said as he pulled hard to the right to maneuver the ship so it didn't wreck. Low had no doubt in his mind that they would have turned that Stingray class into slag had they have continued the maneuver but that was no way to exactly make yourself at home.

Low circled about the station, trying to locate another parking space for the vessel since they had been effectively robbed of their parking spot.

Kitsune looked up the vessels registration on the net, utilizing a backdoor program he installed back when he was a lawman. It was a Small personal transport capable of carrying no more than two people that could barely be rated above a fighter and It was registered to a Sir George Clooney out of Ariel. Of course it would be some stuck up piece of gosa from the core Kitsune thought. He continued to look up information on the man when he came across a low priority warrant from Deadwood on Mr. Clooney. Reading the case report attached to the warrant, it seemed Clooney had run roughshod over a small town on Deadwood, taking what he wanted and doing what he wanted culminating into him disfiguring a young girl.

Knowing the state of the verse this warrant was probably issued by the lawman as the only thing he could do. But knowing this verse no one was going to fight a ‘noble’ over this, a ‘noble’ who could clearly pay more than the entire town could probably muster. This was just the type of bounty Kit was looking for to supplement his income.

"There we go!” Low said pointing to an open space. He swung the Jenny into a turn, having been forced away from the only open cargo dock, came to dock along a pressurized docking arm toward the bottom of the stations lower spire. “It’s not exactly ideal, but it's the best we’ve got!” he said as he went about securing the ship's systems and putting the engines into a standby mode in case they needed to bolt anytime soon.

“Thanks Low we’ll make it work.” Ellie said then flipped on the inter ship communications. “This the captain speaking to all crew and passengers. We are now docked at the space bazaar Vegas in orbit of Newhall, We will be docked here for approximately a short while. Everyone is welcome to leave the ship and stretch their legs in the border world's premier shopping destination. There are several recreational facilities located throughout the station. Once we are ready to depart we will ask for a station wide announcement of our eminent departure, until that time, go out and enjoy yourselves.” turning the intercom off.

"Shiny, if it's alright by you Miss Ellie, mind if I go do the supply shopping and perhaps some personal errands now?" Kitsune Said.

"Sure, go right ahead, I will go take care of our little assignment and meet up with you all later." Ellie replied.

"Roger." Kit said.

"You mind if I tagged along." Low asked seeing the little bit of mischief in Kits eyes.

"I don't know, might not be your cup of tea." A cattish smile crossing his face as he and Low began leaving the bridge.

"Noooo, I reckon it just might be." Low said under his breath as he followed his new companion.

"Suit yourself." Kit knew Low wouldn't be a burden. "Just got to get a few things from my room." he said stepping into his room, Kit kicked open his foot locker.

Low whistled a surprised tune. "That's a lot of nice lot of toys you got there." he said admiring the depth and variety of the weapons this man possessed. It was most certainly impressive. Especially considering he was a ‘cook’.

"Any catch your eye? You can use whichever you like, if you need too."

"Naa, I’m good.” he said tapping the weapon at his hip.

Kit grabbed a few unconventional weapons, some restraints and his trusty duct tape. "Alright I am set, let's go!" standing up and leading the way out.

As they walked the gantry Kit noticed Ellie fall in behind them leaving for her rendezvous as well.

A while Later on the station...

"So what are we doing" Low asked Kit as they walked the corridor towards the airlock.

"Looking for this man" Showing Low the file on George Clooney.

"Hummmm why this guy? It’s only a 500 credit bounty for this guy alive. Doesn't really seem worth it."

"It would be enough for the basics and some walking around money don't you think?" Kit said and shrugged. “Easy money, and it’s the jack hole that cut us off at that parking space!”

"Ehh if you say so" Low said shrugging but following along as they entered the station. It didn’t take long for them to find their way into the general population spaces of the station.

"Bingo" As if God had plopped their target right in front of them at that very moment. "Found him." Kit pointed to a man heading into a maintenance corridor.

Low nodded and both began to look over the people in the main corridor around them. No one seemed to be look outs or paying any much attention to the corridor that they just went down. Nor did the station seem to have any security cameras eavesdropping on the stations going ons. Seeing this they both slipped down the corridor in silent pursuit of Clooney until he entered a room labeled ‘Storage closet 1C’. Kitsune signaled to hold up and leaned his head to the door gently. He could make out two distinct voices inside talking, but that didn't mean there wasn't more who were not flapping their gums at the moment. Kitsune held up two fingers then made the talking gesture.

Low simply nodded that he understood.

This man was calm and collected even though they were about to ambush someone on unknown ground and he seemed just fine with doing it. Kit wondered for a fraction of a second how this impromptu never tested partnership would work. But it vanished as Kit knew just by the man's movements this was not his first rodeo.

Both men drew their weapons and readied to enter. Low began a 3 fingered countdown after which Kit burst through the door his weapons immediately trained. Clooney was standing back to Kit and there was another man sitting on top of a crate. Kit moved to the right clearing the door so Low could enter, his 608's trained on both men.

"Beggin yer pardon gentlemen, hope we are not intruding!" Low said as he moved to the left of the door and clearing the corners.

"In fact you are!" Clooney answered a smug untouchable superiority in his voice.

"My apologies Sir Clooney, but I am afraid it can't be helped, you're needed on Deadwood most urgently" Kit feigned politeness.

"For that you interrupted us? " Clooney's smugness only intensified, “Not the best decision you have ever made in your life, more precisely the farthest from it!”

The other man began to shift slightly drawing Kitsune's full attention.

"I'll be your Huckleberry if you wish to dance mister", pulling the hammer back on the revolver he pointed at the man. Suddenly Kitsune recognized the man, Arms dealer and Capo of the Kei Pirates. Hazanko Anten, His bounty alone was worth 50 thousand credits. This man was wanted dead or alive for some of the worst crimes imaginable... this was bad Kitsune thought.

"Oh I think I just might," the man spoke up, "Cause you don't seem to realize what you just stepped into" sliding off the crate to stand on the deck. "Cause no matter how you think this is going to play out, you too are just walking dead men."

Low smirked, “I’ve been dead before, yet here I am.”

"Oh and how do you figure that? Seems to me that I’m not the one on the wrong end of a barrel."

"Oh but you are." Hazanko said lighting a cigarette. "Let me see if I can explain it to you so you will understand. Let's see your plan was by the looks to take George here in for his bounty but what you didn't expect was to find me. Now let's say you chose to let me be, or not you take me with you either way doesn't matter. But let's say you turn me in with him. You think I will go to trial?" he laughed "Right, ok or that I will spend even a minute in custody once you turn me over? No, and the Bounty money, what is it 50k, you think that will be enough to hide from me? No, now that I have seen your faces, and you have pointed a gun at me there is no place for you to go where I won't find you."

Before he could continue Kit interrupted, "Your right!" he said firing a 357 Tactical edge extreme shock round hitting the man in his right sinus cavity right under his eye. It caused a bloodless entry wound that rapidly sent ripples along the man's face while the back of his head, simultaneously vomited on the crates and walls behind him. Kit knew the sound probably got the attention of some of the people in the hall but in this day and age, it probably only encourages some to move on. The man’s body slammed head first backwards as it violently crumpled to a lifeless ragged pose.

Low watched unmoved. “Hay you think we can have some spaghetti for dinner tonight?” Noticing a piece of brain matter jiggle a little as it fell to the floor. “With some jello”

"Boy now you done it yo...." Unable to finish his sentence as Low came up and pistol whipped the back of the man's head rendering him unconscious.

"No one asked you to speak!” he said to the unconscious man. He looked over at Kit. “What's the plan now" Low asked. To Kit, Liam was calm as a breezeless lake and as solid as Dragonite. As if this was nothing more than a meaningless stroll down a street.

Kit pulling a dolly off the wall. "Lets box them up and get them back to the ship." he thought for a brief second. "After I undress them, don't want any surprises. Also once we get back maybe I should hang them in the freezer....for uh freshness " Kit also knew he would have to find at least one of the fragmentations of his bullet so that it could not be matched to his revolver. However the question of this man's fate would be undeniable as the DNA evidence was all over a 6 foot area at the least.

Low nodded. “You don’t think Ellie will mind a couple of Meat Popsicles hanging around?” he gave Kit a questioning glance. “Where are you planning on turning them over?”

“Newhall has a lot of Bounty Exchange agencies who can pay his bounty. And as they are in the Core system they will have many ties to Federal agencies who would want the credit for a Pirate. Especially since showing off a freshly deceased pirate is good PR for them, makes the populace feel like the law can keep them safe and will stand up to such people as the Kei pirates.” Kit said “But I will go to where the Captain wants to and exchange him. To be honest though a Larger system would be preferable for keeping identities secret, smaller worlds have fewer agencies so they can be targeted by the pirates and squeezed for information like what I look like. Plus most small towns rarely keep enough currency on hand to pay for high value criminals.”

Wrapping the body's up and placing them in suitable boxes (only one human sized box was available...... so they stuffed the two of them in smaller boxes, as not to deprive the next person a good human sized box) kit then began to search for damaged area that would indicate impact from a fast moving fragment, or even a glint of copper or nickel.He moved cautiously as not to step in any thing that would leave behind a footprint or anything else that might help narrow down who did this. After about a minute, Kit discovered a piece of crate with a crack and could see it, a small fragment of the round he fired. “Perfect he thought”. Once they were done Kit moved the crates out side leaving low to stand watch and then went back in. Kit knew the last thing he needed to do. Hopefully this stations fire suppression systems were liquid foam based and not Halon gas. Using a trick he learned from an arson investigation taught to him by a specialist Kit triggered the fire suppression test mode for the room, this would ensure no alarms went off only an alert would be sent to the stations Command & Control. Unfortunately for Kit it was high pressure Halon gas, ‘of course’ he thought “Were in the happy go lucky Alliance border world system. This meant the halon gas would only smear and chemically adulterate most evidence but not completely remove it. But it was better then nothing so he left the room and let it run its test phase duration. “We are as good as we are going to get partner.” Kit said, so the two of them left. "Let's play it cool and act nonchalantly" Kit Said as they neared the junction.

"Agreed" Low said. He smiled wondering why he would state the obvious. Perhaps he was nervous since they had not worked together yet. People had to earn each other’s trust, Low was hoping this little shin dig was going to earn him some brownie points with the cook. If there was someone next to the Captain of a ship you wanted to be friends with it was the cook.

Kit was impressed and reassured. Low didn't say anything, show concern, shock or dismay. It was as if this was perfectly ok by him. He blended so well even though he was just helping out. The fact that Kit shot down a unarmed man didn't seem to register with him as morally wrong either. It was all as if he was of one mind with Kit and was not going to second guess any play they made.

On the way back the two did a little shopping acting like they didn't even have two boxes full of men.

Once back on the ship Kit, knowing the air in the box wouldn't last long enough for him to stay in it, opened the crate to a groggy semi awake Clooney. "Morning Cloontang, have a nice rest” pulling the bound man out of the box.

"pū​jiē​" Clooney said trying to get his feet under him.

"Aww that's not nice" Kit said, Low laughing as he stowed the other crate.

"You're fucking dead you know that!" Standing to look Kit in the face. "Dead!" hacking back and spitting on Kit.

Kit did not even flinch, whipped away the spit. "You know." Kit kneed him right in the junk. "Your naked and restrained and you thought the best choice of action was to be a vulgar twat and spit on me..... I don't know how they do it were your from, though I doubt nobles spit on people, but were I come from we take it personal and" kneeing him in the face putting him back out "I am thinking that just taking you to Deadwood won't be enough." he began searching for items, a marker and some perfume or something.

Low pulled open the bag of goods that they had taken from both men and and pulled out Mr. Clooney’s document fold and pulled out some papers. “I’ll be back!” he said and bolted from the ship. He jogged his way through the station until he reached his destination. He surveyed the shops as he moved his way until finally coming to the bizarre. He knew what he was looking for and it was easy to find. Pushing through the blanketed opening he came to stand in the dark and smokey room. It was small but functional.

“What do you want?” one of the three men asked moving toward him. The other two sat silently playing some card game.

He pulled out the papers and handed them over. “To make a sale!” he said.

The older man took the offered papers and glanced back up at him. “Ten Thousand!” he said. He knew the ship was worth ten times that but this was a black market deal full price is out of the question.

Low frowned he knew the ship was worth around a hundred grand. “Twenty! You know it’s worth considerably more than this.” he reached for the papers.

“Yes, but I’m guessing it’s owner didn’t give it up willingly!, Besides this is the black market, if a customer had the money to pay for it they would buy it themselves” he considered the paper. “Fifteen, final offer!”

Low nodded. “Fifteen!”

The old man pulled the funds out of a safe and handed it to Low. “Good doing business with you. I didn’t catch your name?”

Low turned and was walking out the door. “No, you didn’t!” he made his way back through the bizarre and to the docking port of the Jenny Wren. He divided up the spoils having sold away Mr. Clooney’s Stingray class vessel. He would give part of the sale to Ellie the other half to Kit and he would keep part himself. Kit’s idea for a grand venture for some walk around money would turn out to to be more than just that. He found Ellie in the Galley and set the bag of five thousand platinum in front of her offering a warm smile before heading off to find Kitsune to provide him with his. It didn’t take long to find him, he was stowing his weapons and other supplies away.

“Hey!” Low said leaning against the door jam to his room. “Got you a little present courtesy of Mr. Clooney.” he said tossing him the bag. “A good bit more walking around money!” he said before tipping his hat and disappearing down the way to make a quick stop at his own quarters tossing the bag into a locker on the wall.

Kit opened the bag. “Thanks” he yelled but wondered how he came by this. The money alone from this trip would tide the crew over for a long while, less they needed to buy parts. Putting the bag away in a drawer kit found just what he was looking for.

Kit being the sadistic man that he is, sprayed Sir Clooney with honey and rose petal water (He was saving to serve with some fresh turkish delight to Lady Ellie and Miss Fiona), which added a bit of shimmer and glisten to his skin, the beads of water reflecting the interior lights. and then he wrote in sharpie on his butt "I like it super rough" and “Check temperature here” with an arrow pointing to the hidden happy hole. Followed by placing a gag around his mouth which also had attached to it, a small cow bell. He then braided Clooneys hair into a long braided tail the likes of which would make a good handle bar. ”If only this could be recorded.” Kit said dragging Clooney to the engine room. He then hung him from the locker-room corridor ceiling. As Kit began to walk away from the corridor a pair of eyes appear in the dark, a ray of light reflecting off of them revealing the presence in the engine room, with an obligatory faint sniffing sound following shortly thereafter.

This caused Kitsune to smile and continue walking. He knew what Timmy was, the moment so long ago that Timmy sniffed him as an introduction on their first encounter. This would be a small gift to himself and to Timmy and a giant ‘F U’ to SIr Clooney. He also knew. While it would never set right his wrongs, that the townsfolk would be grateful for the additional punishment that the law could not provide. But deep down he knew that he could not let the Cloontang be acquitted now that he killed a member of the Kei pirates. That would certainly heap a whole mess of trouble on him and his even if they had nothing to do with it. But he couldn't just kill Clooney on vidlink, he would get no reward, the town would not get their justice by their hands and such a vid would definitely cause trouble.

“Eh” Kit thought ‘Im sure Lady Ellie and the crew will be able to help me figure something out while our guest enjoys his stay at motel chikawowow.’

Now at the exit hatch he hears the man start screaming, clearly having come around, and the sounds of a struggle as vicious as anything the beasts of earth that was could accomplish mixed with the sounds of metal lockers being hit by something or as kit knew someone. “Enjoy your self’s you two.” Kit yelled loudly over his shoulder, the sound of hair clippers buzzing filled the ship “And drip some hot engine grease on him too he likes it like that.” then exited back to the station to get provisions and maybe a Tattoo or some sort of memorabilia of today. As he reached the end of the gantry he saw low heading into the market as well.

Low - Market entrance

Ellie - Dark alley meeting area.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Cortex Pathway: Bernadette>Sullivan>Lehman.Paul.Murphy

Video.Exe

The screen flickers to life. Graham can be seen sitting in the cockpit. He smiles and gives a nod to the screen, "Hello Paul! I suppose by now you are wondering where I disappeared to..." Graham clears his throat nervously before continuing, "Well, I'm fine. It's a long story that I don't want to go into at the moment. But there are obviously some things that need addressed." The sound of rustling paper can be heard and he glances down for a moment, looking over the unseen paperwork. "First of all, make sure you check in with the Carlson's. Their youngest was nursing strep throat and you need to make sure it doesn't develop into rheumatic fever. And Jimmy Foster should get his cast off in a week and a half."

A woman's voice can be heard from somewhere behind Graham, but the words are indiscernible. He looks to his left and replies, "I'm just sending a message to someone in my practice, I won't be long."

When he turns back to the screen, his face looks slightly flushed. "Umm.. so where was I? Oh yeah, your internship. I'm attaching the paperwork approving your fieldwork completion. All you need to do is sign it and forward it to the Academy and you'll officially be Dr. Lehman. Congratulations, wish I was there to take you out for a drink, but I'm not sure when I will be back. Which brings me to my next topic..."

He glances down again and the sound of the papers being shuffled again accentuates the long pause. Finally he continues once more, "I'm also attaching the paperwork making you a full partner in the practice. In fact, you will now be the majority partner of the practice. My patients are yours now, and there is no doctor I'd trust more. The only terms I have is that I will have a 25% holding in the practice, and should the day come that I return to Bernadette I trust there will be a place held for me to return to the practice. It's only a hypothetical situation, I don't know when or if I will be back. But I want to ensure I have a place to return to if I do. On that note, the final attachment is for Mrs. King. She'll be receiving regular payments each week, as usual. Additionally, she should see about renting out my house. Make sure she knows I'm doing well, I'm sure she's worried sick. I'm sorry to put you in this position, Paul. But I'm sure the practice will treat you as well as it has treated me. Oh, and take Jill out on a proper date. She's been head over heels over you since the first day you showed up." He reaches to turn off the recorder, the screen goes black.

/closechannel

>Attach_file:Lehman.P.C.Internship
>Attach_file:Graham.Lehman.Practice
>Attach_file:King.agreement
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie & Teddy wrote:Joint Post: Ellie and Teddy

Shortly after the landing, Low and Kitsune disappeared. Ellie wasn’t sure what they were up to, but it wasn’t really her business anyway. Heading down into the cargo hold she opened up the cubby hole where she had hidden the goods. She pulled the box out and slid the panel back into place. The sound of footsteps came from behind her and she glanced over her shoulder to see Teddy wander in. “Well hello there,” she commented to him as she picked up the box and turned to face him, “Got big plans for fun and recreation while we are stopped here on the bazaar?”

Teddy adjusted his glasses, as was a nervous (or more of a fidget then nerves) tweek he had now and then, and shrugged. “Oh, not so much. My luck, I’ll find myself sitting in a bar having one too many drinks thinking of old times.” He showed his toothy grin, “An old soldier like me has a few memories from his years; not all he wants to remember, ya know?” He found himself at the bottom of the stairs, next to Ellie. “Soo, looking for some company in your errand?”

“Sure! Well, I don’t exactly need help carrying the box or anything, but it would be nice to have another person along for the meeting with the buyer. Makes me less of a vulnerable mark for any unsavory types who might be looking to acquire some free goods.” Ellie set the box down, and picked up her brown leather jacket, slipping it on as she waited for his response.

Teddy smiled and nodded, looking at the box she removed. “I can watch your back Ellie, one of the few things I am still good at; I’ll try not to prattle on too much Miss Ellie.” He tugged on his bet, and adjusted his saber scabbard. “Do you already have a buyer, or hitting the streets looking around?”

Reaching into her pocket she withdrew a small slip of paper and looked at the location on it to remind herself where she was going. “Looks like the meetup will be on the third level section B. It’s a stall in the general parts market. Busy enough to throw off suspicion, hopefully not too busy though. Shouldn’t be too much to worry over though, the Alliance doesn’t pay too much attention to the Space Bazaar. They know back alley dealing goes on here, but they usually have bigger fish to fry, so I doubt you will be in much danger either.”

Teddy nodded and leaned up against the railing to the stairs, crossing his legs in a relaxed stance “Yeah, I keep wondering about that; I’d like to think that I wasn’t that important to constantly be looking for… But there is a chance that some Alliance Brass have very long memories…” He showed another smile, showing his arrogant lack of worry about facing those searching for him.

Ellie picked the small box up once more and nodded toward the door, “Let’s get going then. The sooner we offload these goods, the better.” She led the way off the ship and into the bustling bazaar. People milled around the main walkway as they picked their way through. Sellers at various stalls were calling out, trying to draw attention to their wares. The air was thick with the scents of greasy foods prepared at tiny food stalls. In the corner a barker called out above the din, expounding on the wonders of whatever was inside his dark booth that would “...both amaze and terrify…” or so he claimed. Ellie ignored most of it, she had visited here a couple times before, it was nothing outstanding, but it was a nice break from the black. She found a lift and stepped inside and once Teddy was in she pressed the button for the third level. The gate slid shut with the piercing sound of metal scraping against metal, until it clanged against the lift frame. Then the gears began to grind and the lift jerked to life. Ellie made small talk as they waited, “So is there someone in your life wondering where you might be now? Someone who doesn’t want you dead or arrested that is…” Despite having him a part of their crew for some time now, she really knew very little about him, and she didn’t like that. A captain should always have some feel for who their crew is, at least Ellie thought that was the way it should be. Hopefully he didn’t feel like she was prying too much though.

Theodore held the lift door, allowing her to enter. He stepped of center from Ellie, putting himself in between the door and her, an old security habit of his. Ellie’s inquiry seemed to echo in the lift, but as good as Teddy’s control of his body language was, Ellie was seasoned enough to see his shoulders stiffen, and his head bow ever so little. “There was… once…” He arched his head to one side, cracking his neck, then rubbing it slightly with his left hand “I doubt she would be anymore…”

One thing Ellie was good at was reading people, and it was pretty clear that she had unintentionally touched a nerve. She knew enough to let the subject go. The lift stopped and the gate scraped open, revealing the third level parts market. It wasn’t quite as busy as the first level. The people here seemed to be more on a mission to get what they need. It was less entertaining, more business. “We’re looking for a stall with a red canvas and a monkey logo,” she told Teddy as they started down the main drag of the market. She added, “Glad I brought you and not Timmy, otherwise I’d be leaving here broke. He would want to buy everything,” Ellie laughed lightly.

The old soldier in Major Grant kicked in and his eyes cut through the crowds and the scenery in seconds. He shuddered inwardly when she mentioned Timmy, something about that boy bothered him, but he’d worry about it later. In a nonchalant way, he indicated the stall she’d pointed out, “Over there Miss Ellie. After you.”

Ellie’s gaze followed where Teddy was pointing. She could just barely see the stall past a larger one full of engine components. With a nod she headed that direction, her way was blocked by a large man in dirty overalls. He tried to get her attention, “Well hello little missy, you need engine parts? I’ve got the best selection, quality parts.” She tried to go around him, but he moved to block her path again, “Everything’s guaranteed. You have a problem with a product, I’ll replace it.” She shook her head and moved the other way to try and go around him, but once again he blocked her path, this time catching hold of the crook of her arm, “Come on, pretty girl like you, don’t give me the cold shoulder.”

Theodore was close by, but was working not to stand out as a bodyguard. Teddy was next to her in an instant, his right hand goosenecking the wrist of the loud salesmen, pushing his fingers back almost to his own elbow joint. He immediately let go of Ellie’s arm. “Now now now, good Sir.” Teddy stepped in and gave a little extra push, and the loud man in the overalls was being loud again, but there was pain in it now, as he was down to his knees “That’s no way to treat a lady.”

He looked back at Ellie to make sure she was okay, even knowing she would be. “Now, you have something you want to say to this lovely lady?” There was a confused look in the man’s eyes, as he was fighting through the pain. After a moment’s hesitation, he mumbled something, and Teddy leaned in closer to him and whispered “Say it like you mean it…” The harassing salesmen looked back at Ellie “I’m sorry good madam, I was out of line… forgive me?”

“Thanks,” she gave Teddy a grateful look as they moved on over to the stall with the red canvas. A woman was in the stall and she eyed them as they approached. As Ellie entered the stall, the woman looked back down at the engine part she was cleaning. She was a thin woman, with jet black hair, tied up in a loose, messy bun. She had grease smeared on her chin and ear and was wearing a white crop top and baggy cargo pants and clunky work boots.

“Oy, what do you want?” the woman demanded tersely in a thick Cockney accent as they walked up to her. Ellie set the box down on the metal table with a clang. “Marcum gave me your name. Said you’d be interested in this,” she tapped the box lid.

The woman didn’t even glance at the box, but instead turned her gaze to Ellie’s face, studying her intently and without any expression. Ellie returned her gaze without flinching, waiting for her response. The woman tossed the part she was cleaning on the table and the rag on top of it. “Marcum told me to expect McKee, didn’t figure it to be a sodding princess. Come on,” she turned and lifted a canvas flap into the enclosed back area of the stall. Ellie grabbed the box and shot an annoyed look at Teddy, “Figures we got the Ice Queen for a buyer.” She followed the woman into the back and Teddy followed her. Ellie set the box on the floor and the woman faced them with her arms crossed, “Were you tagged?”

“If you mean, were we identified during our job or do the feds know we picked up these goods, then no,” Ellie responded with growing irritation.

“My experience, girl like you tends to throw a spanner in the works. I don’t need that kind of mess in my lap, dong ma?”

Ellie stepped up to bring her a mere few inches from the other woman’s face, “I don’t know what your problem is, but me and my crew are capable of pulling a job off. Marcum told me you’d be interested in the goods,” as she said this Ellie used her foot to flip open the lid of the box without giving a bit of ground to the other woman, “Goods that can earn a middle man a nice bundle. Now if you don’t want them, I’m sure I can find another buyer with enough business sense to know a good deal when it bites them in the ass. What’s it going to be?”

The woman looked down at the box for a moment and then back at Ellie in surprise before kneeling down and inspecting the contents more closely. She stood up and said, “We can deal.”

“I thought you might see it that way,” Ellie smirked.

A short while later, Ellie and Teddy were back on the ship minus one box and with a considerable bit of credits concealed on their persons. Ellie smiled at Teddy, “I’d call that a win.”

Teddy smiled “Well, it’s always nice to feel useful!” that big grin of his shinny through. He parked the mule for Ellie, and then stopped her before she head back to check on her ship and crew. “Um, thanks Miss Ellie.” there was a short pause. “I appreciate the trust you’re trying to place in me, and the fact that you asked me to come along with you.” He adjusted his glasses and rubbed left shoulder, another wound he suffered during his recent escape from Alliance forces. “Glad I was able to help. A good day's work; a wins a win.”

Ellie gave him a grin and replied, “You’ve been a lot of help to me, so no need to thank me.” She looked around, “I wonder what everyone else is up to?”

As Ellie left, Teddy gave her walking away a look, and then turned back and walked away. He went to the cabin that was assigned to him, and sat down at the desk. He opened the drawer and took out a flask, and an old book. He poured himself a couple fingers of the liquor he had with him, and opened the book; he sighed.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Cargo Hold

Ellie walked off with a spring in her step, getting paid had that effect on her. she took the steps two at a time and came into the galley whistling. She peered around and was surprised to see no one was around. "I suppose they are probably checking out the Space Bazaar..." Ellie opened the fridge and rummaged around for an apple. She pushed the door shut and tossed the apple up and caught it again as she headed towards the cockpit. As she approached the bridge she could hear a voice talking, which she found odd. She stepped inside and glanced around. It was dim in there as usual, the lighting wasn't all that great in here. At one of the consoles she could see Graham talking to the screen. She came up behind him and to his left, "Ian? What's going on, did you need help with something?" She didn't expect to see him here.

He seemed a little startled as he answered, "I'm just sending a message to someone in my practice, I won't be long."

She turned and went back out the door and the short distance to her room, where she dug out the book she got from Kitsune. Taking a bite of her apple, she went back to the galley and dropped lazily onto the couch to eat her apple and read since the ship was so quiet.

Tag: Anyone who wants to wander into the galley and visit with me.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona yawned as she woke. She groaned and grimaced; sleeping while wrapped around a giant book wasn't very relaxing.

She tucked the portfolio back under the bed and flicked her processors back on before leaving the room and heading back up to the galley. It was time to have a talk with the captain.

Fiona stood in the doorway of the galley, looking in at the captain, who sat at the table. Fiona took a hesitant step in. "I have to tell you something."
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Ellie lowered her book and peered at Fiona over the top of it for a moment. Lifting her feet, she swung around and put them on the floor and set the book on the arm of the chair. Then she patted the spot on the couch next to her and opffered the nervous girl a reassuring smile. "Come sit, mei mei." After Fiona sits down, she asks gently, "Now what's weighing on your mind?"

Tag: Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Locaton: Galley

Fiona hesitated a few seconds before sitting on the very edge of the couch. She twisted one finger in her hair and looked anywhere but at the captain. "I... I don't know how relevant this is... but I ran away. And I stole something. Something very valuable."

She turned her head slightly, not enough to look at the captain, but just enough to catch Ellie's shoes in her peripheral vision.

Tags: Ellie
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Guest Quarters, Jenny Wren

Low had not yet been officially assigned a room aboard the Wren but he figured Ellie wouldn't mind if he took up residence at least temporarily in one of the guest rooms. They had only been at the station in what he would consider a handful of hours, he and Kitsune had made trouble and fun of a bounty, and it was clear that the crew had already managed some trade. It was good to be back aboard a ship, but at the moment the only thing that existed was the soft rain that fell on his body. He'd not had a chance to take a proper shower since they left Greenleaf. His body was certainly appreciative of the shower. He was also certain that the others would appreciate it too. He still smelled of blood and dust and if he could smell it, he was certain the others could. His eyes slowly cantered over to the wound in his shoulder, it was nicely sewed shut and he was thankful as there was no sign or smell of infection, granted he couldn't see the back side but he was sure it would give him a sign either way. It wouldn't be the first time he'd had been shot and suffered an infection. He laid his head against the cold metal of the wall of the shower stall and just let the water cascade down his naked body. His muscles were finally started to loosen up. He blinked his eyes open suddenly as something from his memory flashed in his vision.

There was a sudden echo of metal on stone, rattling of chains. It was as if it was somewhere in the back of his mind. He stood straight staring at the wall in front of him.

"What?" he muttered.

There it was again, that telltale sound. Metal on stone, then a rattle of chain. It was louder, it echoed in his head. "Hey, get back to work!" he heard the voice clear as day and he spun to meet it.

He blinked as his vision swam a moment and he found himself suddenly standing in a dark, dank mine with a pick axe in his hands staring at a man he had come to hate. He had come to know him as Clarence. He was pointing one of those wonderful shock sticks at him, the electrode sparking an angry blue.

"Got to hell!" Low snarled at the man.

It was almost as if it was slow motion, Low saw the smile on Clarence lips, he could see the shock stick coming for his chest the angry blue spark lighting up the cave as more voltage rushed between the electrodes. Then the sensation of white hot energy arcing through his body. Low's vision swam, and reality came back.

"Fuck!" Low cried out started as he found himself huddled in the bottom of the shower stall. He stayed there for a long moment, getting his breathing back under control. His heart was racing. He might as well have been shocked, his body sure remembered what it was like, it felt like all his nerves had fired again. It took him a moment longer to compose himself and crawl out of the bottom of the shower stall. He let out a long drawn out breath as he turned off the water. Grabbing the towel from just outside the stall he began toweling himself off. He stopped and stared for a long moment at the many dots that littered his chest and stomach. Souvenirs from Clarence and his lackeys at the mine. He dare not say that thing's name.

He tossed the towel away and began pulling on clean cloths, and clipped on his Buscadero holster, and slipped on his black Stetson with its brown leather band, pulled up his suspenders, and slipped on his boots. He stopped and stared into the mirror for a moment, he stared for as long as it took for him to make that look disappear. That looks that could get a man killed, turmoil. Distraction even. He needed a damn drink.

Tossing his dirty cloths into a hamper in the corner of his room he exited the door and headed out towards the galley, it only took a few moments for him to traverse the ship and enter the space. He spotted both Ellie and Fiona sitting together on a couch, Fiona was looking particularly nervous. He simple gave them a tip of the hat and walked over to the kitchen and began his search for a stiff drink.

TAG: Anyone that wants to jump in.
OOC: Sorry for the delay in posting. Wanted to get back into the swing of things, and this is what popped into my head... LOL
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Locaton: Jenny Wren, Galley

Fiona hesitated a few seconds before sitting on the very edge of the couch. She twisted one finger in her hair and looked anywhere but at the captain. "I... I don't know how relevant this is... but I ran away. And I stole something. Something very valuable."

She turned her head slightly, not enough to look at the captain, but just enough to catch Ellie's shoes in her peripheral vision.

Ellie studied the girl's face, suppressing a smile. So that was what was bothering her conscience!

"Well now, I kind of assumed you ran away. It's not often a girl of your age and bearing books passage on a ship like mine, never mind the fact you're alone. It didn't give me pause when we took you on, and it's not giving me pause now. If you don't mind talking about it, can you tell me why you ran away?"

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Locaton: Jenny Wren, Galley

Ellie studied the girl's face, suppressing a smile. So that was what was bothering her conscience!

"Well now, I kind of assumed you ran away. It's not often a girl of your age and bearing books passage on a ship like mine, never mind the fact you're alone. It didn't give me pause when we took you on, and it's not giving me pause now. If you don't mind talking about it, can you tell me why you ran away?"

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Locaton: Jenny Wren, Galley

The captain didn't sound mad. That had to be good. Or at least, not directly bad.

Fiona sighed. "I was at the university in Ariel. I've been dreaming about going there since I was little, and yet... once I got there... I only wanted to be somewhere else. Then I heard about this book in the library in Beaumonde. It was priceless, and the people in Beaumonde were stingy with it, even though one of my professors said they didn't take it out or let anyone read it without special permission. I got it in my head that I needed to see it. And so I left and I went to find it."

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

Tag: Ellie
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location :Vegas

Having completes some shopping for supplies, cloths and a new laser etched tattoo Kit headed to the Biosphere of this station, satisfied in a job well done. He laid in the grass relaxing worry free as he did almost everything human to make sure this bust lead back to him.

When suddenly as if some ghost Nappa esc person put the idea in his head, "Do not tell me he sold Coloneys ship" hopping up in a slight panic, coming to the realization of were Liam might have gotten the money he tossed kit....specially since they didn't do any other jobs together to warrant pay. In a rush kit headed back to the ship full at a sprint.

Kit plowed passed the newly arrived cargo he bought and ran strait for the stairs to the galley which would take him to Liam's room and the bridge were he most likely would be.

Location bottom of galley spiral stairs.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Liam rummaged through the Cabinets for a little while until finally finding a bottle, he recognized the word "Whiskey" in just about any language and grabbed a glass from a cabinet and walked over to the table dropping into a chair, he poured himself two fingers. He propped his feet up on the chair and took a swallow allowing the warm liquid to burn it's way down his throat. He felt that intense cold he felt slowly fade. Part of him knew that it was just in his head, but that didn't make him feel any less uncomfortable. He took another swallow, he glanced over at the two ladies chatting and then his eyes shifted towards the sudden sound of running, it was getting closer. He reached down and rocked the hammer back on his pistol just in case, and waited glass in hand, swirling the liquid.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Haemis had taken his time drinking down the brown liquid from his glass, he admired the bottle he had found with great curiosity. It certainly wasn't what one would consider the 'good stuff' but it was actually pretty tasty he thought to himself. He poured another glass and swirled the liquid once more watching Ellie and Fiona from across the room which honestly brought a smile to his lips. It had been a long while since he was this happy and to be honest free. Working for the Company back on Greenleaf you didn't get much time to go off on your own. You stayed at the compound, never went out unless it was as a group. Since he pretty much hated all those bastards he worked with not to mention those who were dead now he never really left. But the money was good. Most of the time he got paid for just sitting around waiting to go on an escort.

He took a drink from the glass, and headed forward out through the door in the middle of the room and out onto the Gantry overlooking the Cargo hold. He paused for a moment to survey what was happening down below before finishing he walked past his, Kit's, and Ellie's rooms out onto the bridge. He set the bottle down in a safe spot and took a drink from the glass before setting it down as well. He stopped long enough to admire the scenery outside. He missed space, but he never thought to venture back out into after finding his way to Greenleaf. He couldn't find someone he trusted to fly with. But this was entirely different.

He walked over and powered up the Helm control, and started going through turning on the various consoles and stations on the bridge, and began going through Diagnostics on them just to see what was truly working and what was not. He wasn't surprised when he found several 'creative repairs and bypass jobs' as he went about checking things. If you were not part of the Alliance you had to buy everything at cost. It wasn't cheap to run a ship and yet somehow Ellie had managed. He knew she was enterprising even after all they had been through during the war. He sat back into the Helm chair and took a drink from his glass staring out into space.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Ellie studied the girl as she told her story. Then she smiled slowly before standing up and motioning for Fiona to follow her, "Come with me, I want to show you something."

Fiona clutched the book tightly, obviously still afraid of what Ellie might decide to do with her, or perhaps afraid of losing her prize, Ellie couldn't be sure. Leading Fiona to the Captain's quarters, she slid open the door and waited for the girl to come inside. She slid the door shut behind her and crossed the small room to the opposite wall where a worn fabric curtain hung on the wall like a window dressing where there was no window. Grasping the curtain, she slid it back to reveal a cubby with shelves installed. Lining those shelves were a number of books. All of the bound paper variety. They were classics from Earth-That-Was; Dickens, Austen, Bronte, Twain, just to name a few. She looked back at Fiona, "This is my own collection. Most are reproductions of originals. I couldn't afford a collection full of Earth-That-Was artifacts. But a couple are treasures..." she ran her fingers lightly along the shelf and stopped at a copy of Our Mutual Friend and tapped it. "This one is my favorite. It's where Jenny Wren got her name." She slid the book out of it's place on the shelf and opened it, flipping through until she found a page illustrating little Jenny Wren. Holding it out, she offered it to Fiona to take a look. "She was a twisted cripple girl, no bigger than a child. But she had more strength than most. Guess I came back from the war feeling a bit broken, so it only seemed fitting when I bought this ship to name her after Jenny."

She saw Fiona look at her with a curious gaze. Ellie assumed she wondered how someone such as herself came to old such an interest in dusty old books. "My parents were college professors before I was born. They left their very well paid careers because they saw the border planets needed good educators. Gave everything they had up to help people in need." A faint smile crept across her lips as she remembered her parents. "Anyway, I never went to college myself. But I had a college level education from my parents. They taught my about literature, history, art, science, math, you name it. And I learned to love books. Now I guess it makes me feel like I still have a part of them with me."

With a shake of her head she went on, "Anyway, my point is that books are meant to be read, and pored over. Held and treasured. Not kept behind glass. They lose their purpose when they become nothing more than an artifact that no one can read. Way I see it, you gave that book it's purpose back. The only question I have for you is what do you want to do now? We can check to see if they have any warrants out for you on the cortex, if you were identified. If so you might be safest staying on the move with us. Or we can take you back to Ariel to the college if you want. Choice is yours."

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona barely heard what Ellie said, her attention laser-focused on the books. "My parents are professors, too," she murmured, her fingers itching to touch, to turn pages, to lose herself. Her grip on the bag in her hands lessened just slightly, her head tilting as she considered the new open worlds in front of her, just waiting.

"I don't think I belong at the college any longer," she said softly, as though it disappointed her to even have to speak the words aloud. "But for my entire life I've been told that's where I should be. Now I'm just... a thief."

The box at her hip let out a squeal and she jumped, looking down at it crossly. She shifted the book in her arms and flicked one of the switches on it, wincing as then reached up to turn down the processors. "Unh."

She pushed her hands against her head, the book falling to the floor, as though she was trying to press away the pain caused by the sudden sharp spike of sound against her enhanced cochleae.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Bridge

Low sat back on the bridge sinking into the chair behind the helm, his eyes peering out into space beyond the windows. He took another drink letting the liquid burning its way down his throat. It was moments like this that he had to remind himself that came so rarely. Peace and quiet, no one shooting at you or the people you cared about. Just a moment to pause in time and remember the good things. This place felt like home, a concept that he had let go of a long time ago.

Closing his eyes Low could feel the gentle vibration of the ship and her engines, he could hear the subtle vibration of the life support systems working to move air through the ship. The subtle buzz of the live electronics. While part of him longed for adventure he also wanted this.

He opened his eyes and took another quick drink. Leaning over he reached down into one of his pant’s pockets and pulled a small card from it and glanced around until his eyes fell upon the ships communications board, he found the internal playback device and activated the circuit for the bridge only and slipped the tape in.

It took a moment for it to queue up, he settled back down into the seat and allowed the old datagram from some long time ago play over the bridge’s intercom. It was fitting for this vessel. It was a song titled “Jenny Wren” by someone from long ago named McCartney. He leaned back in the chair and just let the music flow, a smile spread across his lips.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie leaned down and scooped the fallen book off the floor, handling with care. Then she motioned to the chair for Fiona to take a seat. As the girl sat down, Ellie set the book down on the small writing table next to her. She shifted uncomfortably, unsure of how to handle the situation. How did a Captain communicate with a passenger on her ship when that passenger couldn't hear her? Ellie was used to making herself heard and was on some pretty foreign territory here.

fionafiacha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fionafiacha »

The pain seemed to last longer than normal, and Fiona felt herself helped into a chair before it ended. She tried to look up at the captain but her eyes were blurry from the strange sensation still rattling around her brain-pan.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie knelt down so she was eye level with the young girl. She was clearly in some pain. Speaking slowly and giving Fiona a clear view of her lips, Ellie asked, "Do you need me to call the doctor?" She looked on with concern, waiting for the response and wondering how Fiona being on board was going to work out, for both of them. Did they have the ability to give her a stable place to live given her physical limitation? Was being on the ship exacerbating the pain Fiona was experiencing? She had a feeling she needed to have a long talk with Ian about their young passenger and what could be done for her.

Return to “Big Damn Heroes”