Original Horror RPG

Join a quest to storm a dungeon or explore the stars in one of our active RPGs, or discuss roleplaying games with fellow enthusiasts!

Moderator: Community Team

sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Original Horror RPG

Post by sprityo »

Name pending, I'm copy pasting this down here from an old idea I have for a non mafia game.

Add feedback as you please since it's not 100% and hasn't been judged in at least a year:

Hello all, I'm back after a considerable amount of time, but I've come back with a tabletop/text based adventure. Originally I had a friend who laid out the basis of it, but it was terribly broken, so I simply took it, did some editing, then did some more editing and balancing, and that is where it currently stands, in the third iteration. Simply put, I was wondering if I could get some tips and suggestions on what should be done to make it optimal for play. So, here it is:

This is the list of Classes and Modifiers along with their stats:
Spoiler: show
Classes:
Researcher: -3 SAN, +1 INS
Doctor: +2 Medi-kits, -3 SAN
Villager: +1 Blood Vial, +2 INS, +3 COR, -3 SAN
Explorer: -5 HP, +1 STR/+1 AGL
Hoarder: +1 Backpack, -3 SAN
Noble: +5 BLTG, 2x COR recieved
Priest: +7 SAN, -1 INS
General Modifiers:
No Modifier: N/A
Weak upper, Strong lower: -2 STR, +2 AGL
Strong upper, Weak lower: +3 STR, -3 AGL
Heavyset: -2 AGL, +5 HP
Lightweight: +2 AGL, -10 HP
Logical: +10 SAN, -2 INS
Believer: -5 SAN, +1 INS
Age Modifier:
No Modifier: N/A
Old: +3 SAN, +1 INS, +1 COR
Young: -1 INS, +7 SAN, +2 COR

Here is information over inventory and items that will always be in the game:
(Again, suggestions for items and comments are always accepted)
Consistent Items:
-Blood Vial: Heals for 50% Max HP, adds +1 COR to the player.
-Medi-Kit: Heals for 100% Max HP. When used in combat, takes one turn to use.
-INS Book: Gives the player +1 INS, but the player loses their new INS value from their SAN. The amount of SAN lost is doubled if 2 (newINS) < (SAN/2). Using this item also incapacitates the player for approximately 1 hour (game time). This item can only be used once per Scenario. It cannot be used to reach level 30 INS from level 29. This item also comes in multiple forms and different names.

Inventory information:
Items take up a certain amount of grid space, similar to that of Resident Evil and Day Z. Pockets are separated. Every player has a default of two pockets. Weapons can be carried and one can be slung on the back, given the player is able to craft a way of doing so. Some weapons come with sheathes/holsters and may be carried in them without being placed in a pocket. Certain items can be placed in special equipment, typically an infinite number of times. These are typically small items such as blood vials or ammunition.

For example a Trench coat gives Two 3x1 Pockets and Two 2x1 Pockets in addition to your defaulted Two 2x1 Pockets
A Backpack gives a single 4x4 pocket.

So the game has seven stats:
(For tables, the number on the left is the level and the number on the right is the total amount of points.)

Hit Points (HP)
This is the amount of health you have. The base value of HP is 30. HP doesn't have a scale and can be upgraded an unlimited amount of times. It can only be purchased in increments of 5 Pts which will increase HP by 5. If a player puts any amount of points less than 5 into HP, they will only receive the previous increment, but the points may stay there so in that when another chance to upgrade comes around, it will only cost as many points needed to reach that next increment. Losing all HP kills the player permanently.
Strength (STR)
This is the physical strength of the player. The base value of STR is zero. It's used when checking for damage dealt, breaking objects, throwing objects, and anything else involving contact with an object. It as well effects your ability to carry certain objects and to carry and wield weapons. You are required to have a STR of level 1.

The general scale of how strong someone is as followed:
1-3: child or out of shape adult
4-6: normal
7-9: heavyweight lifter
10-12: superhuman
13-15: impossible

The table for upgrading is as followed:

1-1
2-2
3-3
4-5
5-7
6-10
7-14
8-18
9-23
10-28
11-34
12-41
13-50
14-60
15-70
Agility (AGL)
This is the physical agility of the player. The base value is zero. It's used for running, recovery from falling and similar action, and sneaking. You are allowed to have an AGL of zero but it means that you cannot move on your own means. The agility stat is required to be at zero or higher.

The scale for how fast someone is as followed:
1-3: encumbered/overweight
4-6: normal (jogging/running)
7-9: Olympic runner
10-12: 30 miles per hour
13-15: blink stepping

1-1
2-2
3-4
4-6
5-8
6-13
7-18
8-24
9-31
10-38
11-45
12-53
13-61
14-70
15-80
Sanity (SAN)
This is the sanity of the player. The base value is 15. The maximum sanity an be raised to by default is 30. The cap can be raised once the amount of bonus points in SAN is over 30, that value becomes the player's new cap. Losing all sanity causes the player to go insane and will result in the Host taking control of them. Players who are not quickly cured (by any means) of their insanity will receive a game over and will be as if they were dead. Like HP, SAN does have a table for levels. It costs 3 points to upgrade sanity and you receive 3 SAN upon the upgrade. The maximum capacity for SAN upgrading is also unlimited.

A scale for sanity is as followed:
0: insane
1-5: crazy
6-10: paranoid
11-15: wary
16-20: normal
21-25: brave
26-30: clear minded
31+: zen state
Insight (INS)
This is the vision/knowledge the player has. It has a base value of zero. It's used for checking the area for enemies and items, spotting runes and reading them, and noticing things in general. It as well gives increased vision in the dark depending on how high the stat is. INS is the only stat allowed to go negative.

The scale is as followed:
<0-0: blind
1-3: normal
4-6: decryptor
7-10: seer

The upgrading table is as followed:

1-5
2-10
3-15
4-21
5-27
6-33
7-40
8-47
9-54
10-65
Corruption (COR)
This (as I was originally told) is the amount of corruption to the player. The base level is zero. I'm not entirely sure what corruption should do to the player, it is open as of now. Simply put though, you don't want corruption. You gain COR from drinking blood vials and actions/events that would effect your character's blood. You are of course unable to put Pts towards COR to upgrade it.
Blood-tinge (BLTG)
This is the player's purity of blood. The base level is zero. It effects their recognition by NPCs as such. The higher the BLTG, the more abilities to weapon use the player's blood are acquired. Blood attacks cost HP. When upgrading from level 29 to level 30 of BLTG, the player must be at 99 points, THEN rank up to receive level 30.

The scaling for this is as followed:
0-5: low blood
6-12: mid blood
13-20: high blood
21-30: royalty

1-1
2-2
3-3
4-4
5-5
6-7
7-9
8-11
9-14
10-17
11-20
12-23
13-27
14-31
15-35
16-39
17-43
18-47
19-51
20-55
21-60
22-65
23-70
24-75
25-80
26-85
27-90
28-95
29-99
30-100

NEW! Here are the BLTG Abilities List: When referring to BLTG, it is referring to the level.

Level 6-Bloodshot: able to load a firearm of any type with your blood as ammunition. It costs -1 hp per bullet. The damage scales with your 2/3 BLTG

Level 8-Coagulator: recover from bleeding effects twice as quickly.

Level 13-Forged Pact
: placing your blood onto a bladed weapon increases the total damage dealt by 1/2 your BLTG. If you aren't bleeding already you can opt to cut yourself at no HP cost, but it will inflict a bleeding effect.

Level 15-Transfuse: share blood with a fellow player, careful of disease. HP Lost=Host BLTG, HP recovered=1/2 Recipient BLTG.

Level 20-Universal Recipient: Leech blood from a target's open wounds. Amount healed = (BLTG x Stacks of Bleeding)1/2; This causes your allies nearby and witnesses to lose SAN=50% amount healed. You have a 50% chance to gain +1 COR per Bleed Stack. Bleed stack effect maxes at 3x

NEW! Status Effects
Blight: Poison/Acidic damage, from horrors spewing bile to plants and insects spitting venom
Bleed: Self explanatory, you bleed from various sources, be it cuts, broken limbs, or self inflicted wounds. This effect can stack.
Curse: Reserved for ancient artifacts, witches, and occultists alike. Permanently stat reduction unless you can be cured by a higher power, or kill the caster in some cases.
Insane: you lose control and slip from your grip on reality. If immediate action is not taken, death will ensue.
Paralysis/Constricted: You are unable to move, simple as that.
Disease:
A potion might cure you of your horrible illness, careful of sharing blood. Can contract multiple diseases.
Corruption: It's in the blood, it messes with your head. Whatever it is, it's not good (Secrets!!!)

Further information:

So the original concept of the game is Love-Craft style horror along with general horror mixed in with a DnD styled system of play that is simplified. How you receive Pts or Points to put towards upgrading your stats I decided would be similar to that of the FATE system where it would be upon the players achieving something such as clearing an area of the game or doing something difficult like beating a boss. The game originally was played with a number system where I, the host, would have an assigned number that's between two numbers and the player(s) would simply give me a number and depending on how close it was, determined the action. For example, I say "choose a number between 1-20." And for fairness sake, I will probably use random.org to get that number. Then the player's would guess. It's typically action dependent but a normal success is 3 within the number. If the number was 13, 10-16 are all successful actions, with 10 and 16 having the slightest of penalties and 13 being a critical hit. As with DnD I will also have a pre made quest that the group will follow. The game ends when they finish the entire quest(s) or everyone is dead/unplayable.
Last edited by sprityo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Original Horror RPG

Post by Quin »

It'll be cool to see how this shapes up. I'm not really one for RP but I'm sure there are some people here that could get into it.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Spacedaisy »

I saw your link and thought it looked interesting. I'm going to move this to the RPG sub-forum though. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Questions and discussion will go a long way with getting this rolling as soon as possible :D
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

When did you have an idea of running this? And does it have a start/middle/end or does it just run indefinitely?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Disregard my second question. Your OP answered it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

[mention]DharmaHelper[/mention] Have you seen this?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 11

Post by DharmaHelper »

Spacedaisy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 pm @DharmaHelper Have you seen this?
I saw it the other day but haven't had a chance to deep dive into it.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Spacedaisy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 pm When did you have an idea of running this? And does it have a start/middle/end or does it just run indefinitely?
As soon as I felt any potential flaws have been addressed and when the tables for leveling are finalized

Not to mention additional items and the blood skills
Banners:
ImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Well, if anyone can help give it a thorough vetting, I would bet it would be Dharmahelper.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Would it be more practical to have modifiers for the stats that impact rolls of the dice towards hitting the target number instead of having players randomly pick a number?

Like, if I want to kick down a door, that's a str test, and I have X strength, so thats a +2 to STR tests, and then you as the host roll a D20 or whatever it is, and the target number is 15 since it's a sturdy wood door that's relatively new.

Idk. Does that track? Rambled a bit.

Looks solid otherwise. Dunno if you were around when Epi/Boo ran the gladiator games on the forum but they'd be the ones to talk to about stats/rolls/randomizing/rewards etc.

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

The concept was made during a time in which I didn't have a dice or a way to effectively get random numbers, especially off a d20, and it allows for far varied numbers

Not to mention I don't want to be messing with multiple modifiers outside of just the base stats, which aren't high to begin with. The game isn't meant to last an exceedingly long amount of time for each adventure, unlike a DnD game or typical RPG
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

I see what you're getting at though and the current way I've got it planned, it'll work a similar way
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

The only blood tinge abilities I can think of right now though are as follows:

Bloodshot: able to load a firearm of any type with your blood as ammunition. It costs -1 hp per bullet. The damage scales with your BLTG

Coagulator: recover from bleeding effects extremely quickly.

Forged Pact: placing your blood onto a bladed weapon increases the total damage dealt by 1/2 your BLTG. If you aren't bleeding already you can opt to cut yourself at no HP cost, but it will inflict a bleeding effect

Any more ideas are welcomed
Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

sprityo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 pm The only blood tinge abilities I can think of right now though are as follows:

Bloodshot: able to load a firearm of any type with your blood as ammunition. It costs -1 hp per bullet. The damage scales with your BLTG

Coagulator: recover from bleeding effects extremely quickly.

Forged Pact: placing your blood onto a bladed weapon increases the total damage dealt by 1/2 your BLTG. If you aren't bleeding already you can opt to cut yourself at no HP cost, but it will inflict a bleeding effect

Any more ideas are welcomed
Blood Transfusions to give blood to another player
Leeching against enemies

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

I like it, I'll have to save leeching to a higher tier,

It will effect sanity too I'm sure
Banners:
ImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

[mention]sprityo[/mention] Just want to make sure you noticed we set up a new forum dedicated to RPGs rather than just having it as a subforum in Park Place.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Yea, i did
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

so if i wrap up some loose ends and make a signup, who can i expect to join?
Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I'd probably hop in on it.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I most likely would too. We need to see if we can kind of advertise it elsewhere on the site to see if there is any other interest too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

If I can get one or two more I think we'll be set!
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Updated with fancy color scheme for an easier time identifying!
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Example Character Sheet:

Name: John Smith
Background: Normal man, Normal life. Is now in what seems like hell.
Class/Modifiers: Researcher/Believer+Old
Stats:
HP: 30 > 30
STR: 0 > 0
AGL: 0 > 0
SAN: 15 > 10
INS: 0 > 4
COR: 0 > 4
BLTG: 0 > 0
Inventory: +1 Blood Vial
So the above is the new stats based off of just the class and modifiers, you get an additional 7 Pts to spend on the other categories.

You can make your character however you wish, but it's not recommended you make a Young Logical Priest since the +24 SAN would be cut off at 15, and you would be -4 INS in the hole and have +2 COR. The good news is you scale the same way, it only effectively reduces your maximum INS in this instance to a level 6.

It's worth noting that for whatever level your modifier adjusts you to, you have to account for the missing debt of Pts to level up afterwards. So if you have +4 INS such as above, you would need +27 Pts in INS to get level 5.

Below is the final stats after having placed my points accordingly:

(here is the process)
Stats:
HP: 30 > 30 +0 > 30
STR: 0 > 0 +2 > 2
AGL: 0 > 0 +4> 3
SAN: 15 > 10 +0 > 10
INS: 0 > 4 +0 > 4
COR: 0 > 4 +0 > 4
BLTG: 0 > 0 +1 > 1
Stats:
HP: 30
STR: 2
AGL: 3
SAN: 10
INS: 4
COR: 4
BLTG: 1

My character has high INS and decent strength and agility. He has decent corruption already which is bad because [redacted], and he has a subpar sanity, making him all that much closer to being insane.
Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

How did you put 4 levels into AGL with the cost being 1+2+4+6?

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I probably did this wrong but hopefully you can correct it

Character Name: Little John
Character Class: Explorer (+1 AGL)
Character Mods: Lightweight (+2AGL, -10HP), Old (+3SAN, +1INS,+1COR)
---
HP:20
STR: 3 (Base 0, 7pts spent to Level 3)
AGL: 3 (Base 0, Mods +3)
SAN: 18 (Base 15, Mods +3)
INS: 1 (Base 0, Mods +1)
COR: 1 (Base 0, Mods +1)
BLTG: 0

1pts left over?

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Your strength should be. Level 5 and you should have 15 HP since explorer also gives -5 HP

Also you only have seven points to use

The yellow number on the tables represents total points put in
Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

sprityo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:31 pm Your strength should be. Level 5 and you should have 15 HP since explorer also gives -5 HP

So its not a matter of "To get from 0 to 2 you have to spend 0->1->2 costs?

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:14 pm I probably did this wrong but hopefully you can correct it

Character Name: Little John
Character Class: Explorer (+1 AGL -5HP)
Character Mods: Lightweight (+2AGL, -10HP), Old (+3SAN, +1INS,+1COR)
---
HP:15
STR: 5 Base 0, 7pts spent to Level 5)
AGL: 3 (Base 0, Mods +3)
SAN: 18 (Base 15, Mods +3)
INS: 1 (Base 0, Mods +1)
COR: 1 (Base 0, Mods +1)
BLTG: 0

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 pm
sprityo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:31 pm Your strength should be. Level 5 and you should have 15 HP since explorer also gives -5 HP

So its not a matter of "To get from 0 to 2 you have to spend 0->1->2 costs?
Correct. This is balanced out with the modifiers so say you want to get level 6 strength, you'll need to put in 10 points instead of 3 which would be the normal amount from 5 to 6
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Also you are required by me to have your character look like Lil Jon :p

Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

sprityo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:13 pm Also you are required by me to have your character look like Lil Jon :p

What?

ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

(You named your guy "little john")
Banners:
ImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

sprityo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:36 pm (You named your guy "little john")
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

OK!

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Great joke everyone we can delete the thread now.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

:haha:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage