The Hunters: The Story of Samuel McKenzie

Do you have a creative streak or enjoy writing, or writing stories with others? Do you have a slick tongue when it comes to word play? (I mean poetry of course...) This might just be the place for you, share your stories, have some fun!

Moderator: Community Team

SokothQultuq
Henchman
Posts in topic: 4

The Hunters: The Story of Samuel McKenzie

Post by SokothQultuq »

The Hunters
“The Hunters: The Story of Samuel McKenzie”
A short story by Daniel Ratterree AKA: SokothQultuq

A little History: The Hunter's was actually a Play by Bulletin Board Role Playing game that a friend of mine and SpaceDaisy's started long ago, it was somewhat short lived but it fostered some amazing writing in the few people we had working with us. It's something that she and I had talked about revisiting at some point and one day I just started essentially re-writing my character introduction. The story that follows is in some form or fashion that same story that Introduced my Character Samuel McKenzie to the world. I hope you enjoy this short story.

Notable Characters
Samuel Allan McKenzie
Ernest Bernard – Business Man, Sam’s Employer
Alan Fredrickson – Man Servant/Butler
Ms. Caroline – Maid at the Bernard Estate
Mr. Dewitt – Socialite and Friend of Ernest Bernard
Charles Cornelius Vanderbilt – Proprietor & Financer
Ling Hwang – Researcher & Suan Ming

Index
Part 1 – Homecoming
Part 2 – Barefoot in the park
Part 3 – The Hunters
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Re: The Hunters: The Story of Samuel McKenzie

Post by SokothQultuq »

Part 1
“Homecoming”

It was early morning when the Barque sailing vessel Lady Bernard made her port of call in Southhampton in south Britain. It was clear to Sam as they began to tie up that the local fisherman had already come in for the day. The angry black and grey clouds closing on the costal land and looking as though two mammoth waves were about to crash in upon one another were at both ends of the sky. The smell of salt, fish and rain was on the wind. Sam felt his stomach turn as the smell of fish became more potent.

Samuel McKenzie quickly strolled across the dock and bent over a piling, his lunch lurching forward having finally made landfall. Fought in many wars, seen unspeakable things, but the sea was still too much for this stomach. Hazard of the line of work he partook, but at least it was an honest living.

“Damn Son,” one of the sailors called out to him chiding him on.

Sam reached back as he let loose another gout of last night’s food, and gave the passing sailor the finger. He stayed hunkered over the piling until he was certain that his stomach was through. That feeling of queerness still haunting him as he slowly stood upright.

“Sam my boy, are you alright?” the voice of an elderly man called to him from behind.

Turning he spotted his employer sauntering down the ramp to make landfall of his own, and he could see that the sailors were quickly unloading his wares. The expedition they took to South Africa had afforded him many spoils indeed. “Just a touch of sea sickness governor.” He said.

“Well ol’ boy I suppose you’d be used to the sea by now. After all having spent many days and nights traveling as you have, you’d be used to it by now.” He regarded him. “Well you look well enough to travel at least I’d say. Are you well enough, can’t have you…” he gestured with his cane to the sea. “You know, in the carriage.” He said with a halfhearted smile.

Sam nodded. “I’ll ride on the buckboard. That should keep things safe and clean in there.” He said.

The elder man nodded, and pointed with his cane down the dock before shouting. “Make way you brigands!”

With a chuckle of amazement and a half smile he followed the man who very successfully parted the sea of sailors and dock workers. They came to the end of the pier and met up with the caravan of carriages that would take them the long journey to the Bernard Estate. His charge was Ernest Bernard, who had gained some of his fortunes from his many mines all around the world. Eventually starting up several companies in the textiles and tobacco industry. He was a fair man to work for, and Samuel had taken to enjoying his time with him.

Vaulting his way up to into the seat next to the carriage driver he nodded, tipping his hat. “Sam!” he said extending his hand.

“Jim,” the young man said taking his hand in a firm shake. “Rain’s a comin, you sure you don’t want to ride inside?” he asked.

“I don’t wear the duster for looks son.” He said pulling it close doing the fasteners. “How are the roads?”

“Tis England Sir, horrible as always. But the ruts are at least well worn.” He said glancing back at the other carriage drivers.

“Well at least we have that going our way lad.” He clapped him on the back and looked up as he heard the first drop of rain pelt into the leather of the rim of his hat. He pulled the neck strap around and under as to keep the thing on his head as the young driver urged the horses ahead of them on.

Foot traffic was quickly starting to thin as the rain began to fall, lighting scorched the sky in blinding rage, and left only the sound of thunder in its wake. It had been some time since they had been back. One extreme into the next, it would seem. From the heat and oppressive lack of humidity to this. “How long do you think it will take for us to transit to our destination?”

“Oh, probably at least four hours in this mess!” he said gesturing ahead as they slowly made their way down the muddy street the horses feet clopping along. “We should get solid street in a bit, but as we move back out into the country things will slow down.” He said.

Sam watched as the man jumped in his seat as lighting struck, and the explosion of thunder accompanied it. He didn’t even feel his body flinch. He chuckled as the man checked himself. Turning back to the road ahead he stared on, his eyes keen and looking for anything that might signal trouble other than the weather and road.

The rain came down in sheets and dropped visibility low, and as the sky grew more and more angry the darker it got. It took a good bit longer for them to reach their destination than the young coachman had indicated but they made it to the Bernard Estate, the place looked eerie as they, most the estate was buttoned up it would seem, all the storm shutters were closed, the gate though was open and secured as to keep it from swaying. There were lights on in the foyer which meant that the massive estates keepers knew they were coming. The carriages one by one looped around in front of the massive home coming to a stop under the covering at the entrance. Part of Sam was glad to see the old place, his posterior thanked the maker on his behalf just to be free of that terrible buckboard.

The door to the carriage flew open slinging water and mud across the driveway, the doors to the estate opened with urgency as several of the buildings caretakers rushed forth to greet their master. “Mighty good to be home!” the elder man said as he stepped down from the carriage, a smile graced his lips. “Tis been too long!” he said waving at his butler.

“Welcome back sir.” Fredrickson said in his base filled voice, if he wasn’t a cliché Sam didn’t know what might be. He was just the kind of man servant you’d hear about in books, or perhaps in one of those rare moving pictures. Dreadful things as far as he was concerned. He nodded to Fredrickson as he too stretched his body.

“Ah, I’ve such tales to tell you Alan, so many adventures.” He yawned deeply and then rubbed his belly. “I’m famished!” he stated.

“The chef has already begun to prepare a light lunch in honor of your return, and a welcome home dinner sir.” The man servant said as he followed diligently after his master.

Sam couldn’t help but smile watching the old man shift gears as if he’d never left. He had watched this scenario play out hundreds of times. He turned and looked back at the carriage driver who was staring off into the distance through the rain. “Thank you good sir, to you and your men!” he said and tossed a small bag of coin up to him.

The man caught it with ease, and then continued to stare out into the distance. “Something foul on the air.” He said, and then looked back at Sam. “Might consider staying in tonight, foul things have been afoot at night in these parts. Ye should avoid going out at night!” he said nodding knowingly. He urged the horse on and entered the deluge and very quickly disappeared.

Sam stared out into the distance the same direction the driver had been looking, and sniffed the air. The only thing he could get was a hint of pine, what he was certain was a compost pile, and the smell of wet dog which was likely the house hounds. He looked up as the first cart pulled up, and shook away the odd urge he felt.

“Where do you want all this?” The driver of the next carriage asked, and then thumbed back towards the other wagons.

Sam nodded to the man. “Textiles through that door!” he pointed to a door just off to the side of the entrance and down a set of stairs. “Food…” he turned and pointed to the door the exact opposite. “Everything else to the warehouse. It’s on the backside of the house.” He said. “Just follow the road. It loops back around.” He said pointing to the road which was visible but faint that lead around the house. “I’ll send someone to meet your men there to help organize where it goes.”

He watched for a moment as the man gave orders, and then turned himself and walked into the house. He was dripping wet and Caroline, one of the maids was waiting with a towel in hand. “Welcome back Master McKenzie.” She said with a certain level of glee in her voice. “Hasn’t been the same without you.” She said handing him the towel and offering to take his soaked jacket and hat.

He peeled the duster off and folded it over and handed it to her, then set his hat upon it which allowed his overgrown hair to fall around his neck. “Mighty kind of you to say Ms. Caroline.” He bowed to her and suddenly felt a chill. “I believe a bath and a change of cloths might be in order.” He said.

She nodded. “Indeed. You smell of the sea to be certain.” She said poking fun at him.

He smiled and nodded. “No doubt. Let Master Bernard know that I shall join him after I’ve freshened up a bit.” He said as he started down the hallway to his right.

“That I will sir.” She said and disappeared the other direction. He assumed she was heading for the laundry to deposit his jacket and hat.

He strolled the length of the long hall glancing at the windows as he walked. The shutters were pulled, and occasionally flickered with the play of lighting flashing through the sky. They clattered back and forth as wind threatened them. But they held all the same. The storm outside was getting worse, that Sam was certain of. He stopped at his door, and slowly pushed it open. He had not seen his own room for many months and it was nearly as he had left it.

Stepping through the door, it was a modest room even for someone who was paid to protect someone. Mr. Bernard paid his people well and treated them equally as well which was a far cry from most wealthy people Sam had the pleasure of meeting. Perhaps it was why he had decided to stay for so long. He’d been working for Ernest Bernard for three years, nearly or it seemed.

Crossing his room, he stepped into the bathing room and turned the gas valve under the water vessel on, and used a nearby match to light the pilot. The flame came alive and as he turned up the gas feed the fire increased. He would have hot water in no time. It was one of the few modernizations Ernest had added to his home. It took time to fill the metal vessels but it was worth it to have hot water on demand essentially.
Walking back out into his room he pulled his Navy 1851 revolver from his Buscadero and dropped it on the bed, his rifle was still packed away, he would have to find that sometime after lunch and see to it. He slowly stripped out of his cloths, allowing them to slap to the floor with a wet slapping sound. He would deal with them later. He let out a sigh as he felt his stomach churn again. Even though he was miles from the sea, he still felt its effects, but one thing was certain it was good to be home.

Sam strolled into the dining area, the sound of light music playing from an old Phonograph somewhere deep within the estate. The music flowed lazily through the building. A fire was crackling in the fireplace in the modest informal dining room. He spotted Mr. Bernard and apparently, a guest had come calling. “Sir Dewitt,” he said crossing the room.

“Ah, Samuel my boy. Still keeping this stuffy corpse from his demise I see!” the other person sad offering a wave. “Join us will you!”

Sam nodded and slid into one of the few empty seats. “What brings you out on such an afternoon?” he said gesturing to the ceiling and the constant pounding of rain and the shuddering wood as the wind flexed its natural muscle.

“Oh, and miss an opportunity to be the first to be regaled of the tails of the wild lands of Africa? My boy, surely you jest!” he said with a chuckle.
“Indeed.” Mr. Bernard said.

Sam laid a napkin across his lap and as if on cue, Fredrickson was there. “Café sir?” he asked holding the large silver steaming carafe. He simply nodded and allowed the scent of freshly brewed coffee fill his senses.

“Thank you Alan.” He said with a smile, he took up the ceramic mug after Alan deposited the usual amount of cream and sugar into it. “I so missed this.” He said as he took a drink.

The butler smirked. “They didn’t have coffee in Africa?”

“Yes they did, but it was nothing like this!” Sam said enjoying another drink. He held the mug under his nose taking in the smell for a moment.
“So as I was saying, were having a gala in honor of your return at my place in three days’ time, you absolutely must come and regale every one of your tails from your time in the wild. Everyone’s just dying to hear all about it.” Mr. Dewitt said.

Ernest scoffed. “Oh please, you know it’s just you who really cares about the stories. It’s the food and booze the rest of them come for!”

“A small price to pay for good company!” Mr. Dewitt said and set the large envelope down in front of Mr. Bernard. “I shall see you then?” he said standing.

Sam stood in concert with Mr. Bernard, and gave a slight bow out of respect. He stood erect and watched as the two slowly made their way towards the foyer still chatting. He settled back into his chair taking a moment to savor the Columbian café, its rich sent was always a welcome thing. He watched as Mr. Bernard came back into the room, he settled back into his chair and likewise took up his mug of coffee. “Always interesting when he comes calling sir.” Sam said offering a smile.

Mr. Bernard nodded knowingly. “Indeed. Though it’s good to have his support in my endeavors so it pays to play.” He said as he leaned back in his chair.

The kitchen staff came out and began placing some finger food on the table between him and Mr. Bernard, it was a mix of meats, cheeses, and some fruit. It was common a meal as it is what Mr. Bernard liked to indulge in when he ate light and healthy. “I suppose I shall need to get out my fancy attire.” Sam said adding a mocking vain tone. He offered his employer another smile.

Mr. Bernard smiled in return as he collected some items from the plates in front of them. “Oh not too formal, it is after all Mr. Dewitt.”

Sam nodded. “I wanted to talk to you about something if I may?” he said setting his mug down and began collecting some of the food himself. “Our contract is coming to a close in a few months’ time.”

“Has it really been that long already?”

Sam nodded. “Yes, sir. I was wondering if you’d consider making the appointment a permanent arrangement.” He watched the man to gauge his reaction.

The elder man leaned back in his chair. “To be honest, it was something that came to mind a short time ago. I have already had a mind to ask you to stay. You have done a fine job keeping me from my own vices. It is not an easy task considering my lifestyle. Might I ask you why you want to stay?”
“Truly sir,” he paused a moment considering his words. “These last few years have been the best I’ve had since signing into this profession. I enjoy the company. Though death does not walk at my door daily so it is far less exciting there is the occasional run in which adds just enough excitement to make things interesting. Of all the men and women I have served, you have respected me when you did not have to. You have take great care of me and I have not asked for anything. You could have given me simplicity and you have treated me like family. It is time I tried to settle. I’m not getting any younger.”

“Is it the lifestyle?” he asked very pointedly.

“I won’t lie to you and say that I do not enjoy the lifestyle that has come with the job. But no, you could have given me the simplest of appointments and I would still have asked.” Sam said with a reassuring nod.

The elder man smiled warmly. “I thought as much.” He nodded. “I accept, and truth be told I’ve already sent off a notice to your employer letting them know I was going to make an offer hedging on a meeting such as this. All you need do at this point is inform them of your resignation from their ranks.”

Sam Smiled broadly. “I shall dispatch a letter post haste.”

“Are you satisfied with your pay?” Mr. Bernard asked.

Sam nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“Good then, I intend on providing you a small raise now, and we can revisit your salary at the end of each year. Necessary or not, it’s what I do with all my employees, you shall be no exception.” Mr. Bernard said with a nod. “I’m glad you decided to stay.”

“I know how much you hate breaking in new Employees.” Sam said with a grin.

“Indeed.”

Alan suddenly appeared next to him, “Sir. The warehouse workers have located your package, do you want it delivered to your room?” he asked.
Sam nodded. “Yes please Alan. Thank you.”

Alan glanced up at Mr. Bernard. “Your package that you marked as direct deliver sir.” He gestured as a man came walking in with a long wooden box. “Where would you like it?”

Mr. Bernard stood excitedly. “Excellent! Here…” he said pointing to an empty spot on the table next to Sam. “Right here.”

Sam watched as the elder man took a crowbar from the man who brought the crate in his curiosity piqued as he watched the elder man start to pry away boards with an excited fervor.

The elder man set the crowbar aside and began pushing straw away, and then unwrapped some burlap from within the case and he turned to look at Sam. “I was saving this for this exact moment.” He said and reached into the box. “A gift for your service.” He said and slowly pulled out a sword.
Sam’s eyes followed the sword as it came out of the box; he immediately identified it as Japanese. A Katana to be exact, it was something of a marvel in itself. Its scabbard was intricately carved, and painted. The Tsuba was a solid piece of metal with engravings around the edge and flats. The handle he could see was certainly an Ivory and very well wrapped. “It’s…” He felt the weight of the weapon as it fell into his hands. It was lighter than any Katana he had held. It was balanced to perfection. He worked his hand0 up the scabbard and pushed the blade by the Tsuba with his thumb releasing it and drew the blade slowly from the scabbard, the blade was swirled and almost appeared engraved but Sam was certain that this was something to do with the material. He looked up at his employer. “It’s amazing!”

“There is none like it in this world.” He said admiring the blade himself.

“Clearly, I’ve never seen anything like it!” Sam said inspecting the length of the blade.

“It was made from metal found in a rock that fell from the sky.” Mr. Bernard said, a grin gracing his lips. “I couldn’t pass it up.”

“From the sky?” he asked and looked from the blade to his employer.

“Unbelievable, I know!”

“Rocks don’t fall from the sky.” Sam said, his eyes going back to the blade.

Mr. Bernard held up a hand. “I saw the rock with my own eyes, and the gleaming metal inside. I have never seen anything like it. I have seen many strange rocks, including those from a volcano. This was nothing like those. It will cut just about anything.”

“Anything?” he asked looking back at his employer.

“Anything.” He repeated. “Mr. Fredrickson, if you please.”

Sam watched as Mr. Bernard slowly moved around the table, he then quickly found the butler who was standing by the kitchen door holding a small cast iron pot in hand. He reared back and threw the pot right at him. Sam deftly brought the blade up and though the weight put him slightly out of place, he swung, the motion was fluid and he nearly spun himself around. The sound of the two halves of the pot hitting the floor caused him to immediately look to the floor in disbelief. “Magnificent!”

“I thought you might say so. Consider it my gift to you for your loyal service and our continued partnership.” Mr. Bernard said with a smile, the ends of his mustache wiggling.

“Thank you.” Sam said still admiring the artisan-ship of the blade. “I’ll certainly put it to good use!” he knew that his employer knew some of his past and why he carried such a weapon with him in addition to his firearms, he had learned to fight from an old friend he had met in his travels. Hard lessons but good ones. He would put this to good use indeed.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Part 2
“Barefoot in the Park”

Samuel steadied himself within the carriage, he had preferred to ride where he could well protect his employer but on this day, Mr. Bernard had insisted that they ride together in the coach. It was a bumpy and nauseating ride to say the least. In true Brittan form it had rained for days since their return and tonight was no different, the rain was light and the winds teasing, and in the distance they could see the occasional dance of lightning across the sky mixed with a low rumble as if a great beast was approaching.

The carriage line took nearly the better part of an hour to traverse as they waited in line for admittance to the gala. While Mr. Bernard had an ample estate, Mr. Dewitt had a well-appointed home. Sam was certain the thing was at least twice the size of his employers, but the majority of the space was taken up by a much larger dining hall as well as a ball room to which his employer had forgone in the construction of his humble estate.

“Ready ol’ boy?” Mr. Bernard asked him pulling him back to the here and now.

Sam gave his Employer a nod as the carriage door clicked and swung open, and he lead the way out the door nodding to the ushers as they bowed in respect. He took a quick glance around surveying the area for threats, force of habit, but one could never be too careful. He turned and nodded to his Employer who was slowly extracting himself from the carriage. His eyes narrowed as he caught the scent of something on the air, against the smell of the falling rain was something else, it reminded him of wet dog.

“Everything alright Samuel?” Mr. Bernard asked him as he came to stand next to him noting the narrowing of his eyes and his sudden scanning of the area once more.

Sam shook his head. “It’s fine, just an odd smell.” He said as he gestured for the door. “Shall we?”

“Oh yes,” his employer said with a smile. “We shall!” he said leading the way up the stairs to the entrance.

They passed through the first set of doors and then a second as they moved into the estate’s foyer. They were again greeted by more Ushers who took their coats and hats leaving them with a check ticket which Sam spirited away into a vest pocket on his shirt. He declined to relinquish his weapons choosing to keep the sword hanging at his left side and his pistol on his right hip. He often came to these events with his employer and he wanted to believe they would have stopped asking him by now but they persisted. He was polite about it of course. The two were sent down the main hall to which the steady stream of music was floating down to greet them. At the end, a brightly lit set of double doors, which would admit them to the great ballroom.

“You know you can relax here.” His employer said as they slowly made their way down the hall. “Mr. Dewitt has guards of his own.”

Sam smiled broadly, “It’s not their job to protect you. It is mine.” He said. “Besides I assumed I looked more dashing with my weapons.”

The elder man laughed and nodded. “I suppose that to be true but I imagine it would make others feel more at ease if you didn’t. But I do appreciate it all the same Sam.” He said as they came to a stop at the doors. “Besides, it will give you a chance to show off your new blade.”

Sam could not help the smile that slipped onto his lips. He glanced down at the intricate hilt and then back to his employer. “Indeed.”

They turned as the doors parted to admit them to the ballroom; it was a sight to be sure. Mr. Dewitt had clearly remodeled since the last time they were here as the room had changed drastically. No doubt, he had gotten bored with the same décor. There were now four large chandeliers and several small ones hanging from the ceiling all decorated with some kind of glass or crystal, which seem to send intricate lighting effects in all directions as the light passed through them. There was a new stage now set in the middle of the room, tables and chairs were all around with plenty of real estate for dancing. The two pressed on weaving through the tables heading towards the long table, which was slightly elevated over the rest, and Mr. Dewitt.

“Ah, Ernest my boy. Please come, you must tell Mr. Peebles of our adventure to the new world. He does not believe my account and I could use some affirmation!” Mr. Dewitt said spotting the two approaching. He waved both to chairs at his rounded table. He noted the two spots, which bore their names. He stopped astonished, as there was a seat at the table assigned to him as well, which was not something he had not expected. Normally he sat nearby at a table with what these socialites considered ‘the help’.

He bowed slightly in respect to Mr. Dewitt and settled slowly into his chair taking a moment to take in the scene as his employer moved to stand between Mr. Dewitt and Peebles and began recounting the tale of the two’s adventure. He remembered that vividly as this was how he came to be in Mr. Bernard’s employ. He could not help but smile, his eyes starting to scan the room. He came back around full circle stopping on the trio.
“So we were traversing New York and in a not so hospitable part of town actually heading back to our ship as we were due to depart that very afternoon when we were waylaid by bandits. Lucky for us Mr. McKenzie was near!” he heard and caught a hand gesturing towards him.
Sam nodded. “Indeed, those men meant business.” He added.

“Sam was at one of the local establishments enjoying a refreshment when the commotion went down. Had it not had been for a stray bullet I’m not sure we would have met.” His employer said.

“Damned thing hit my bottle.” He added.

All three men laughed. “He was so angry, he came rushing out of the saloon half drunken himself. All he had was a sword in hand, it was spectacular he rushed forward and just in the nick of time, he took the leaders arm off at the bicep it was rather frightening and yet entertaining.”

“I was aiming for his head.” Sam said flatly, which once again brought another round of laughter. “I had the element of surprise, and of course intimidation at that point against the others.”

“Really? How many?” Mr. Peebles asked.

“While Mr. Dewitt seems to remember a few more men than there were sometimes, in total there was five.” Sam said with a bit of a grin.

“Surely you don’t recall with as drunk as you were?” Their host said scoffing in mock insult.

Sam shook a hand in the air. “It sound so much better when you tell it though!” he said with a smirk. “After disabling the obvious loud mouthed leader the others were in shock and I took advantage even with only my sword. I advanced on the first and ran him through without a thought, took the leg from his companion. The other two began shooting at me as I ran toward them but they were so frightened by my unholy charge they missed every shot. I disarmed both of them as they frantically tried to reload, knocked one cold the other stood shaking in fear having dropped his weapon, my blade resting on his chest above his heart.”

“Truly?” Mr. Peebles asked, clearly enthralled.

“Truly.” Sam said nodding. “I poked him ever so gently with the tip of the blade, he was frozen in fear. I stood there with my blade.” He said standing and taking a pose holding one hand back as a fencer would and the other outstretched. “You owe me a bottle of whiskey!” he said smiling.

“He provided the correct compensation and ran. I’m certain based on the stench he left in his wake that he was going to need a dip in the river.” He said returning to his seat.

“Incredible. Now I see why Mr. Bernard hired you.” Mr. Peebles said leaning back in his chair, the man seemed spent of energy himself as if he had been part of the act himself.

Sam Smiled. “You should see what I can do with a pistol and a rifle.”

The man nodded, clearly his mind racing he seemed to regress into his own mind leaving the others to chat. Mr. Dewitt turned to him. “You downplay your role in that adventure sir, truly.”

Sam nodded. “It’s a bit more plausible.”

“Indeed. Even the two of us were taken back by what you did that day.” Mr. Bernard added.

“Thank you.” Sam simply said taking up a glass of water on the table. “Fate put me in your path, I may have saved you two but you certainly saved me.”

“Why did you take his offer and not mine?” Mr. Dewitt asked an eyebrow rising in curiosity.

“Honestly?” Sam said setting the water back down, he looked between the two men. He could see that Mr. Bernard’s curiosity was also piqued.

“Alright. While you made a very generous offer on a contract, you seemed to have a well-protected lifestyle. You were not the adventurous type as much as Mr. Bernard was. He seemed like the logical choice with as unique as his lifestyle was.”

Mr. Bernard’s head tilted, he appeared confused. However, Mr. Dewitt seemed to catch the inference. “You meant he presented a greater opportunity for adventure?”

Sam nodded knowingly. “That and the best opportunity for a good death.” All three men suddenly were staring at him in amazement. “I was in a far different place then.”

“How did you know he would present the highest chance for something such as that?” Mr. Dewitt asked. “I mean you didn’t know us if at all.”

Sam thought about his request and the consequences of indulging that curiosity but he felt he had nothing to lose by being honest. “The company I worked for. You asked them about a possible contract with me after we parted ways that day, despite what you might think that organization is very well connected and they were able to look into both your backgrounds and presented a dossier on both of you to me in order to make a choice.

While Mr. Dewitt you offered a considerable sum of money you did not possess the opportunity that person that I was, was looking for at the time. “

“Dossier?” Mr. Peebles asked suddenly.

“It’s an intelligence file, just gave an account of activities, social circles, Political affiliations, and any other pertinent information.” Sam said.

“I had no idea that people did such a thing for such a job.” Mr. Dewitt said.

“They do it to make sure you can pay my friend.” Mr. Bernard said patting him on the shoulder. “I knew they did such things.”

“Why would you seek death?” Mr. Peebles asked, he seemed confused about the idea.

“I was a different person back then, lost, confused. I had some…” he paused as his mind suddenly flashed back on his time with the Military. “I had an experience that I cannot rightly explain or talk about. I ended up leaving military service because of it.”

“Ah, you were in the Queen’s Regiments?”

Sam shook his head. “Not exactly.”

“Oh…” Mr. Peebles said as he realized what he was implying. “I see.”

The conversation seemed to take a somber turn; Sam had given a little too much information perhaps about his past. He was not concerned about the company as much as how it had turned the mood. He frowned looking down at his hands for a moment. The sound of someone clearing their throat caught his attention bringing his eyes up to meet Mr. Bernard’s.

“You should show off your new blade perhaps?”

The smile returned suddenly to his lips. “Ah, yes.” He said standing.

“New blade?” Mr. Dewitt said. “Ah yes, that trinket you picked up that you were telling me about?”

Mr. Bernard nodded to his friend smiling and pointing with his cane as Sam was removing it from its belt clasp. “The very same!”

“Oh, I’ve been waiting to see this. He wouldn’t talk about anything else when we met, he was certain you would be smitten with the trinket.” Mr. Dewitt said.

“That is certainly one word.” He said holding the blade aloft between his hands. “Certainly a work of art.”

“My word...” Mr. Peebles said leaning forward to look closer. “Such craftsmanship.”

“Very nice.” Mr. Dewitt said as he leaned in to inspect the scabbard.

The blade sung as Sam slowly pulled it from its sheath. He held the blade upside down resting the backside of the Katana on his hand. “I’m told it’s made from a rock that fell from the sky and it unbelievably can cut anything!” he could not help keep the excitement out of his voice.

“Anything?”

Sam Nodded. “Indeed anything. Split a cast iron pot in two perfectly and didn’t even scratch the blade.”

“Impossible!” Mr. Peebles said leaning back in his chair.

Mr. Dewitt picked up one of the candelabra from the table with a sly grin and tossed it into the air candles and all. It tumbled up into the air wax dripping and flying through the air. Sam slipped his hand down to the handle, flipped the blade, and deftly swung the blade in an upward arc as the candelabra came down. The sword hummed as it passed through the metal and sent the two pieces tumbling to the floor in two directions to the amazement of all.

“That’s incredible!” both men said, and Mr. Bernard just stood smiling.

“Amazing, and it’s not even marked!” Mr. Peebles said staring at the blade.

Sam smiled in return and knew that some interesting antics were likely to be had, and he was right they went on to demonstrate this several more times choosing various trinkets and bobbles to throw at him while he deftly severed them in two and on one occasional three parts. Sam did not entirely enjoy these kinds of parties but he was enjoying himself now, though short lived. He sat and watched as they sang, danced, and told stories of the adventures they undertook while in Africa.

He did not like bragging about his exploits but did not mind when others did, even when they were embarrassing. He was listening to his employer telling a particularly embarrassing story about his being assaulted by a slithering reptile while in the John. It had made its way into the ceiling, and then fell upon him while he was in the processes of relieving himself when he caught that smell again, something much like wet dog over the smell of food, smoke, and alcohol. He slowly looked around the room until he spotted a particularly odd sight, one of the staff; a waiter was staring at him from the complete opposite side of the room. The man seemed much focused on him. His gaze was intense. He blinked and shook his head and the man was gone. He stood and looked across the crowd for signs of hurried movement, but other than dancing, there was none.

“What is it?” he heard Mr. Bernard’s hushed voice.

He shook his head still scanning the room. “I don’t know.”

Mr. Bernard stood now and was looking across the room in the direction of Sam’s gaze. “Are you having one of those things you get?” he asked.
Sam nodded, indeed his senses were screaming at him that something was off, that something was out of place, and not right. He gave a nod. “Yes.” He said. “We should go.” He said, his tone shifting to convey the seriousness of his suggestion.

“Alright, allow me a moment to thank our host.” He said a bit of dismay at their early departure snuck into his voice.

Sam stayed by his employer’s side as they found their host and graciously thanked him for his hospitality and the invitation then the two moved to the exit saying a few quick goodbyes as they fled. The ferocity of the storm outside did not become obvious until they entered the hall that would take them to the foyer. The rain was coming down in sheets beating against the shutters. The wind howled outside, but something else entirely was making the hair on Sam’s neck stand on end. It was not the lightning. It was the feeling of being stalked by something sinister.

“Are you certain we need such a hasty retreat Sam?” his boss asked, noting the look on his face as they moved down the hall.

He nodded. “Yes, very!” he said as they rounded the corner. One of the ushers perked up as he spotted the two and stepped forward.

He bowed. “Sir’s tis not safe to depart, I wouldn’t advise against it. Tis storm’n something fierce.” He said.

“Never the less, we must depart.” Sam said sternly.

“Aye, as you wish.” The man said somewhat dejectedly, turned and nodded to the two men standing side by side at the doors. “Fetch Mr. Bernard’s carriage!”

The doors swung open and powerfully so as the wind forced the doors against their ushers pushing them back into the walls side by side, the wind violently whipped through the hall starting everyone. Lightning ripped and crackled through the sky in the distance sending a rumble so deep one felt it. Sam quickly pulled down his next strap from his hat to try to keep it securely on his head; he still had to raise a hand to block the onslaught of rain that beat on them as they moved to the carriage. They hastily climbed into the carriage; the driver gave them a worried look as they disappeared from sight.

The horses dutifully bumped the carriage into motion, the wind buffeted the carriage causing it to creek and shudder as the wind slammed into it, the rain was steady thunderous sound as they pulled out into the weather and the driver spurred the horses to continue around the bend and take them from the estate. “This is one hell of a storm!” Sam said as he peered out the cloudy windows.

“Indeed!” Mr. Bernard said as he settled back into his seat trying to get comfortable as the carriage bucked and bobbed.

Sam stared intently back towards the manor as they moved further away, his eyebrow rose as he caught a momentary flash of a figure darting from the side of the building. The speed was alarming, so much so he had to blink wondering if it was his eyes playing tricks on him. “Almost as bad as that storm we hit near South Africa!”

“Very much so I wager.” The elder man said and then let out a screech as lightning struck above them, the flash of light was blinding, and the thunder came immediately with a deafening roar. “My word!”

The carriage suddenly lurched to a stop, sending Sam against the wall and the elder Bernard nearly into his lap. The horses could be heard in a panic and the carriage shook as they bucked. Lightning struck again causing both men to jump. “Stay here!” Sam said pushing himself towards the carriage door. He undid the latch and pushed his way out, the rain had calmed considerably and very suddenly. Looking to his left Sam could see one of the two horses lay slain on the ground, which caused him to immediately draw his firearm and hastily close the carriage door latching it. “Stay inside!” he said loudly and sternly.

Pulling back the hammer, he moved towards the front of the carriage. The driver lay slumped over, blood was pouring down the front of his body his jugular had been ripped from his throat, it was a gory sight. He scanned around him listening, strange sounds emanated from the nearby hedgerow which caused him to press forward.

Sam slowly peered around the bushes and leveled his revolver; the first thing he could see was the other horse and as lighting struck it silhouetted something else. It slowly stood upright its head craning around to look at him, he steadied his aim and fired into the creature, and continued firing until he expended all the rounds in his pistol. The creature jerked with each round that landed but it did not seem to faze it otherwise.

He had no chance to move, the creature was lighting fact. Sam suddenly found himself pitched through the air and landed hard rolling. His body screaming in pain at him. He had the right of mind to roll over and start to draw his sword, but the creature was already upon him. This time he was able to see it for a brief moment in time, it looked like a dog but much more sinister. He had only heard about things such as this in fable, his face contorted in a mixture of pain and horror as struck again sending him sprawling to the floor. He felt his vision swim, as his head lulled to the side; he could see the door to the carriage faintly swing open and only for a split second could he see his employer and the astonished look on his face before, Mr. Bernard’s lips moved as he pointed and raised his cane high drawing the hidden blade from within. The last thing he could see was the dog like creature leap through the air slamming into the carte knocking it clean over, and then darkness came.

Sam was not sure how long had passed, but when his eyes fluttered open it was still night, still certainly raining. The pain was nothing like he had felt before. Everything seemed to echo, the raindrops sounded like cannons reporting next to his ears. Slowly his vision rolled as his body did. It was like his instincts were taking over he slowly rose to his feet. Looking down he could see the ragged wounds in his chest and across his stomach, he was certain he could see his insides, but he felt no panic. Oddly all he felt was calm, and focus despite the pain.

His head spun around and his eyes came to rest on the toppled carriage, his hand went for his revolver but it was missing and in a flash of steel his sword was in hand and at the ready. He crept up to the carriage, and quickly moved around to the other side of the badly damaged vehicle. The top had been ripped apart, and the sight that met him was grizzly indeed. All that remained of his now former employer was a mangled mess.

“You should have stayed down!” a labored voice called from behind sam.

He spun bringing the blade up in a guard position both ready to block any incoming attack and ready himself for an assault himself. The creature stood before him, its fur drenched in blood, eyes boring into his soul. “I’ll kill you!” He said through clenched teeth.

“You’ll try!” it said, laughing and slowly began moving to his right. He started moving to his left away from the carriage. “Others have.” It says flexing its clawed fingers taunting him.

Sam felt his body tense and he let out a battle cry before charging forward with startling speed, his first attach missed high as the creature bobbed under his attack and he took a blow to the chest for it sending him back several paces sliding in the mud. He repositioned the blade and again was hit in the chest sliding back another few feet but this time he was ready bringing the blade down and drawing it back across the creatures shoulder, then swiped back up diagonally across his chest missing this time.

The creature howled in pain backing a way, he had clearly surprised it. He pressed the advantage. Quickly he thrust forward while leaping and sliding forward but the creature dodged and swiped at him racking its claws across his back. ‘

Sam cried out in pain, but spun bringing the blade around deftly in a waist high swipe and ducking another swipe by the creature meant to take his head clean off he assumed, his blade found purchase on its stomach sending it leaping away howling in pain. He stumbled himself as he stood back upright, he was starting to feel cold, he could feel his fingertips and toes starting to go numb no doubt from blood loss. “Come on!” he taunted.
The creature held its belly starting back at him, breathing labored. “It’s been a long time since I fought someone worthy such as you.” It lowered itself down on all fours. “Shame I must end this game!” It spat, and then sprung forward.

Everything seemed to slow down for Sam, the rain drops seemed to suspend themselves as the creature lept into the air, and moved through the air, he could see the raindrops as the creature collided with them. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears; he knew the end was near. He brought the sword down in front of him and summoned what strength he had left, and pushed forward dropping to his knees sliding in the mud forward, he brought the blade up as the creature came over head, he felt claws again as it made a last ditch effort to attack him as it flew over him. His blade flashed as it passed through the creature, and for a moment, the look of horror on its face was obvious to him. He had heard tales about moments like this where time seemed to stop for two warriors locked in combat during his training in Japan. Never thought he would experience a single moment in time such as this.

Sam came to a stop, his arms felt heavy and fell to his side his blade dropping from his hand. His vision swam as he slowly fell over, he willed himself to roll over. If his death was coming, he was going to see it coming.

The creature slowly turned, stumbling as it did. It stared down at him and slowly began to change back into a man. He stood naked in the rain, covered in mud and blood. It looked down at him and smiled. Not something Sam expected at all. “Thank you.” The words came out as a gurgle, and to his horror the man split in two and fell in two halves into the mud, his blade had cut clean through the body. He felt his breathing getting harder and harder. Trying desperately to get up, he managed for a moment but found himself fixated on the fact that his boots were missing. He was barefoot. Glancing around him spotting his boots sitting where he had stood originally by the hedgerow. He had been knocked clean out of his boots. He looked down at the blood still oozing from his wounds then everything went sideways as he collapsed back to the ground, and darkness took him once again. His last thoughts were of how silly it must be to be caught in this kind of weather barefoot in the park.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Part 3
“The Hunters”

A deep echo, there was rain. Horses and a busy street, or at least Sam was sure that is what he was hearing, it was as if he had put one of those amazing shells you find on the beach that allowed you to listen to the sea to his ear, but this was city noise. Shafts of light flickered above him, reminding him of a time long ago and a war he wanted to still forget. It was like heavy sand and soot had filled the room but it hadn't, it was his vision playing tricks on him.

"Doctor, I think he's coming around!" The voice of a young woman said suddenly. It too felt as if it was at the hollow end of a cave. A rhythmic thumping suddenly droned out any further word. His eyes fluttered and then darkness rushed back at him. He was all too familiar with the sight of eminent death from this perspective, he was dyeing, or at least on the cusp.

It was unclear to him how long he had drifted in and out of consciousness but it had to be several days. But when his eyes fluttered open and the cold registered it was clearly winter. He was alert, his senses were on overdrive he could hear the subtle scrape of snow against the window as it fell outside. His eyes quickly found the window above him, the sky was grey and white, and snow was indeed falling. Slowly he sat upright his body ached, and the sounds the bed made were amplified beyond measure causing him to grimace.

Slowly he looked around, he could see a fresh set of pressed and cleaned cloths nearby, his firearm and sword neatly laid atop a dresser. Clearly he was in good company. The appointments to the room were not entirely modest, very comfortable in fact. The door was open just a crack, which allowed the sound of light music and voices to float through.

Throwing back the blankets he found he was dressed warmly, and clearly someone had been taking care of him. Pulling back the shirt he glanced at his belly where he now bore the scares of his last encounter. They had healed nicely but still left a swirl of death upon him. He would never forget that encounter for more reasons than one. A man who was a dog. He had only heard of such things in fairy tails. Slowly he swung his feet out onto the carpeted floor, and sat back down quickly when his legs protested his attempt to stand. "Okay then..." He said softly. He took a moment to collect himself and then stood this time managing without issue. Though the ache in his body was present it was already starting to subside.

Pulling on the paints laid out for him and taking the time to neatly button his shirt, he strapped on his belt checked his revolver which was loaded. He dropped it into its holster, and buttoned it down safely. Picking up the sword, he felt a rush as the memories of the fight rushed back at him made him shudder, close his eyes and take a sharp breath. He let it out, remembering that his employer and friend was brutally murdered. His heart sunk as he realized that he had failed to protect Mr. Bernard try as he might. His grip tightened on the sword before he wiped it away with a swipe of the scabbard across his vision. He slowly pulled the door open and stepped slowly into the hall. He was clearly in the upstairs of a manor.

It was very nicely appointed, the floors carpeted, paintings, suits of armor. It wasn't very large he determined by his initial walk around the upper floor and allowed his curiosity to drive him down the stairs. The staircase in itself was an oddity curving down the entire wall consumed by books. Books of all shapes and sizes. As he came to the bottom of the stairs, the smell of tea and food pulled him towards two sliding doors which were parted but inches.

"Do come in Samuel!" A voice called from the other side.

Sam flinched and stopped. How had he been detected so easily. Maybe despite his heightened senses he was not paying attention to his steps. Slowly he pressed forward and pulled the doors slowly apart to reveal a dining room.

"Come, you must be famished!" An elder gentleman said gesturing him forward.

Slowly he stepped into the room glancing around to take in his surroundings, it was a modest dining room for such a large estate. Much larger than two people would need as he noted a second person was sitting in a chair facing away from him. "Where am I?" He asked.

"Do come and sit Samuel, I promise I will explain everything!" The elder man said.

Sam slowly made his way around the opposite end of the table allowing him to get a better view of the rest of the 'L' shaped room. There were two doors towards the end likely one that lead into the Kitchen. He noted the presence of what appeared to be a butler and cautiously crossed in front of him. "Where am I?" He asked again as he settled into a chair next to him. He felt the tenderness of his injuries as a sharp pain ran through his body when he settled on the chair.

"You've had quite the trip and recovery my boy. That were beast did a number on you to be sure. You're lucky to have survived." The elder man said with a nod. "I'm Charles Vanderbilt and this is my manner. As for where we are, you're in New York my boy in the United States, a bit far removed from your home in England. We had no choice but to spirit you away after your incident and Ling here's services were need to ensure you did not meet your demise." He gestured to the oriental woman sitting at his side.

Sam gave the woman a polite nod. "How long was I out for?" He asked as a bowl of soup was dropped in front of him. He felt his stomach growl reminding him that he had not eaten in some time.

"You've been in our care for nearly a months time." Ling said.

Sam looked between the two before picking up a spoon. "A month?" He asked.

"Yes Sam. It's hard to believe but you survived an encounter that nearly no mortal has had with such a creature and while you nearly did succumb to your wounds you live on. Though I cannot say it's not without its issues. You will likely see some kind of side effects as a result."

"What do you mean side effects?" He asked.

He nodded. "Your wounds while they still pain you healed faster than any of that severity that I've ever seen. Have you always had a sensitivity to things?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" Sam asked leaning back in the chair a moment. "Sensitivity to what kind of things?"

"Danger, sounds, smells, and the like?" Charles picked up his tea cup and took a drink watching Samuel closely.

Sam shook his head in the affirmative, "Yes, always. Parents always said it was a gift and a curse." He shrugged. "Guess I never really thought of it much as a sensitivity."

Ling leaned forward resting her arms on the table, cupping her face in her hands staring at him. "Your special Sam," she said with a smile. "You just didn't know it until now. There are many special people in this world and when they find out most hide it, or run from it. You embraced it. Very admirable to do such a thing and not shun it or hide it. Most people do it out of fear, yet you don't seem to have much fear."

"Begging your pardon Ms, but fear is something everyone has. I just choose not to let it govern my response to what is in front of me. Its fear that keeps me alive to be certain." He said.

"Indeed." Charles said with a nod. "And that is one thing amongst others that makes you right for a job I have."

"I'm not in any condition to take on work now sir, though given time I would be willing to offer myself for such employment. But I'd certainly like to know what kind of work you have in mind."

"Where did you learn to fight as you do with a blade?" Charles asked.

Sam set his spoon aside. "A long time ago, from an old friend."

"Indeed, and he saw you for what you were capable of didn't he?" Charles asked.

Sam nodded. "He could have killed me for intruding on his lands, I was already nearly dead. He saved my life and in turn I saved his at nearly the cost of my own knowing full well he had not decided my fate."

"Why?" Charles asked, an inquisitive eyebrow rising.

"I don't know why, he never told me. He just simply offered his protection and he began to teach me. The only thing he said is that one day I would need it. He was very right, unfortunately I wasn't able to save him when that day came."

Charles nodded. "You can choose to take the offer now, or later the time matters not. The job is this. Our organization is not always well received, but we do work that Is necessary to maintain the balance in this world. We call ourselves 'The Hunters'."

"And what exactly do you hunt?" Sam asked.

"The Paranormal mostly, but we go where we are needed."

"Who do you work for?" Sam asked.

Charles shrugged. "For me, For the President, Queen of England, the Butler," he said pointing across the room. "For the child on the street, for the fallen, we are master of none, but of all." He said offering a smile.

Sam stared at him for a long moment trying to gauge if he was serious or not. "This is a joke?" He asked. "Your joking?"

Charles laughed. "No, my boy, dead serious." He gestured to Ling. "Show him if you please."

Ling slowly rose from her chair and crossed behind Charles to come stand next to him. "Your hand's please." She asked holding hers out.
Sam stared at her for a moment. "Okay, I'll bite."

"I won't" she whispered offering a coy smile. She took his hands in hers and closed her eyes. It seemed as nothing was going to happen then something strange, he felt his hands grow suddenly cold, and then a jolt of something white hot hit him and he was suddenly standing in the field, in the rain. Not far away a carriage pulled into view and it was in that moment he realized that he was seeing the events that led him to this very moment, in vivid detail. He jerked away just as he saw the beast leap onto the carriage.

Normality rushed back at Sam, and his head swam. He shook away the woozy feeling and stared up at Ling, then over to Charles. "What the hell was that!" He asked.

"That was a vision of the past, would you like to see your future?" She asked.

"You can do that at will?" He asked rubbing his hands together to make the chill go away.

"Not exactly, but once I've had a vision I can recall it anytime. Anything I see, read, or hear I can recall and share in this maner." She slowly made her way back around returning to her seat.

"That's just a small taste of what our people can do. Your unique, you belong here. We could certainly use a man of your talents." Charles said.
Sam sat for a long moment quiet, staring at his now empty bowl of soup. This was not the strangest thing he'd ever seen but it certainly rang true, he had known he was different for a long time and perhaps that's why he didn't quite fit in anywhere. "Okay." He said.

"You join us?" Charles asked, his voice picked up with excitement.

"Yes. Is there some kind of crazy ritual I need to do to be a part of this thing?" He asked, glancing over at Charles.

"Yes, of course. You must go to India and slay a Sand Dragon, Acquire the tears of a mermaid off the coast of Japan, and a lava rock from an actively erupting volcano." Charle's said with all seriousness.

Sam had just started to look over at the Butler and was about to ask when he turned his sight back on Charles. "Seriously?" He asked.

"No, what are we savages?" Charles asked with a hearty chuckle. "Your simply now part of our family Mr. McKenzie. Welcome to the hunters!"

Return to “Creative Writing, Co-Op Writing, Poetry & More...”