Dark Angel

Do you have a creative streak or enjoy writing, or writing stories with others? Do you have a slick tongue when it comes to word play? (I mean poetry of course...) This might just be the place for you, share your stories, have some fun!

Moderator: Community Team

SokothQultuq
Henchman
Posts in topic: 16

Dark Angel

Post by SokothQultuq »

STAR TREK: Dark Angel
The So'koth Chronicals - Part 6
“Dark Angel”

By Daniel Ratterree

Characters
Sokoth Qultuq, Captain – Commanding Officer
T’lok, Commander – Executive Officer
Zokeith Terry, Lieutenant– Chief of Flight Operations
Chance Furlong, Lieutenant J.G. – Flight Officer
Jaykumba, Lieutenant – Flight Officer
Mia Braddock, Ensign – Operations Officer
K’lyn, Lieutenant Commander – Chief Engineer
Zachary “Zack” Martin, Lieutenant – Assistant Engineering Officer
William White, Lieutenant – Assistant Engineering Officer
Cj Brown, Lieutenant – Tactical Officer
Nathanial Horn, Lieutenant – Chief of Security, Tactical Officer
Scott Robinson, Lieutenant Commander – Chief Security Officer
Jake Clawson, Lieutenant Commander – Chief Medical Officer
Kestra Oliver, Lieutenant – Assistant Medical Officer
Jennifer Troy, Lieutenant Commander – Head Councilor
Ian McCaig, Lieutenant – Chief Science Officer

Admiral Travis Rotteger – Chief of Operations – Utopia Planitia
Admiral Dwain – Chief of Research & Development
Kerian Horn – Nate Horns Evil Twin Brother

Synopsis: This story provides some closure for my character from the Dark Angel, tells the story of the beginning of how the Dark Angel Came together and became a crew. Albeit a misfit crew but a crew non-the-less. Paints a brief picture of how long So’koth Served and lived, up to an unknown point at which he realized his time was at a close. Finally retiring and fading into the background of life until the point at which he’s needed again or just eventually passes on from old age. For however long that takes.

A Bit of History: I started the Dark Angel Star Trek SIM (RP) at the very end of 1997, it ran nightly for nearly a year and a half before life got in the way and we went to a once a week meeting. Much like we do with the Tempest. Sokoth Qultuq was my very first Star Trek Character which I played for a total of about 6 1/2 years before officially retiring the character. I decided a couple of years ago that I still had some stories to tell, they kept kind of floating around in my head and needed to be put into something. So it became this series of short stories which touched on some major points in that characters life that were brought up during the course of those 6.5 years of Role Playing. Here is one of those which actually takes you to both the beginning and the end of the characters life.

Index
Chapter 1 – “Remembering the past”
Chapter 2 – “Dark Angel”
Chapter 3 – “First Blood”
Chapter 4 – “Inside the box”
Chapter 5 – “The Chief’s Knock”
Chapter 6 – “Fate”
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Re: Dark Angel

Post by SokothQultuq »

“Remembering the past”

So’koth squinted in the bright lights that filled the small stark room he sat in. The metal table and chairs were all that furnished the room. He glanced around noting a sensor cluster at each corner of the room and the door with the lone window, to his dismay it was of course a one-way mirror. They could see in but he couldn’t see out. He waited knowing that someone would eventually come, he tested the restraints but they failed to yield to his strength. He sighed looking down at his uniform. It was tattered and worn, signs of his last stand aboard his ship showed in its stains and burns. He looked up as the door’s mechanism turned and the door swung open.

A woman, meek in frame wearing tan pants, and a white long sleeves shirt peered in at him from the door. A bright light was shining in behind her so he could not see what was beyond. Slowly she stepped forward into the room and the door closed with a metallic bump and a hiss. “How do you feel?” she asked her melodious voice called to him.

He continued to stare at her not sure if he should lash out or restrain himself and be diplomatic. “Where’s my crew?” he asked sharply.
“They are safe. Asleep for now.” She said.

“Why have you taken us?” he asked, examining her looking for anything that might help him out of this situation, but she was a stone to him.
She regarded him a long moment then nodded. “We took you,” she said. “We had no intention of taking your crew but they are our guests while we conduct this meeting.”

He could feel a certain level of anger rising in him but pushed it down, “Why?” he asked again.

She gestured to the table and a click could be heard and his restraints fell away. “You do not recognize us. That is to be expected. We wish to examine how far humanity has come. You are a representative of your people. All of your people.” She said.

“Should I recognize you?” he regarded her for a long moment. “You look humanoid. But I don’t recall us ever having met.”

She offered a warm smile. “It matters not; we just want information.” She gestured to the door. “Would you like to go somewhere more comfortable?”

He stood slowly and oddly despite the injuries he remembered he felt spry, not even his arthritis was aching in his joints at the back of his mind. “Am I a prisoner?” he asked pointedly.

“No, just a guest.” She stopped at the door to think for a long moment. “But I suppose in the literal sense you are, until were ready to release you and your crew.” She smiled again. “We would prefer you consider yourself a guest instead of a prisoner.” She gestured down the hall. “Come, have something to eat.”

Reluctantly he moved around the table stepping from the hall and headed down the hall she had indicated. He noted that everything was very plain. No windows, doors that were decorated similarly. He came to the end of the hall and stopped waiting for her to open the door.

She placed her hand on the all near the door and it slid open to reveal something he didn't altogether expect. As he stepped out into what was a terrace he couldn’t help but be captivated by the beauty of what he was seeing. "This..." He turned and looked around as he moved further into the terrace. "This is amazing." He said.

She joined him on the Terrace also taking a moment to take in the scene. "It was a remarkable feat of engineering to say the least." She said, a hint of pride slipping into her voice. "It took many years to complete."

"How many people live here?" He asked still staring. He was on the inside of what he could only assume was a Dyson sphere. The horizon curved for kilometers, it was lush and full of plant life. From his own position he could see four distinct climate zones, rivers, and what he assumed was an ocean. "I've seen the one the Enterprise found, or the Jenolan anyhow, but this is far bigger."

"Ah, yes. A tragedy to be sure." She seemed mournful at the mention of that giant planetoid. "There are about eighty-eight trillion people on this sphere alone. There are nine others scattered throughout the galaxy."

He looked at her now as she stared off into the distance. "Eighty-eight trillion?"

She smiled warmly. "Have something to eat Captain, and rest. We have much to discuss. She pointed towards a table. "It has a built in replicator and will make whatever you wish."

He started to walk over and stopped. "Would you answer me two questions before you go?"

She stopped near the door and turn. "Your crew is there." She pointed to a dome not far away. "It’s a holding environment with shelter and food. For now, they believe they survived the destruction of your vessel and are now stranded on a planet. I promise you they are safe. She pointed off in the distance. "Your ship is moored on the far side of the sphere at our space port." She said offering a warm smile. "We've started effecting repairs to your systems when we return you to your ship you will be able to sail away as if nothing happened." She said, bowing her head she turned and left him standing there at the table. It was as if he was standing on the patio of a strange new world.

He decided that if they were trying to kill him they would have done so. They gave him freedom so they were none too concerned with him trying to escape. Repairing his ship, taking care of his crew even if it was an illusion. He settled down into a chair at the table and sat back watching the sky. A flock of birds with two sets of wings and a variety of pink and red colors glided by. They were massive avian creatures. He glanced at the table. "Water, cold, and a..." he considered what he wanted not sure what it would make. "A sandwich, Havarti cheese, pastrami, ham, light mustard, mayo, French bread, cut in half, and make it hot." He waited and watched as a plate with his requested sandwich appeared as well as his glass of cold water. He took up the sandwich and took a bite and was surprised. It was just as he had expected.

Hours went by as he sat and watched the scene change from day to night, he enjoyed his lunch and a light dinner while he waited for whatever was to come next. The door opened to admit the woman he spoke to earlier, he watched as she crossed the terrace.

"I trust you found our replication system efficient?" She asked.

He nodded. "I was beginning to think you weren’t coming back."

"Please accept my humble apology. I was called to several meetings." She settled into the chair across from him. "Primarily about you and your crew."

"I see." He said and took a drink of the tea he had been nursing. "And?"

She smiled. "It realized after I left that we had not had the chance to exchange names, I know who you are but you do not know who I am. Though we assume that you knew who we are, we also have to remember we've been gone for a long time." She frowned. "So it seems that we have much to discuss and to apologize for." She said.

He leaned forward in his chair reaching across the table. "So'koth."

She took his hand and shook it firmly. "Enara." She smiled. "My people are known to yours as the Organians."

He sat back slowly, his mouth opens in question but he failed to ask as if he was dumbstruck by her statement. "Organian's" he said.

"We've run into each other a few times over the decades but thus far we've kept to ourselves watching as your society has progressed. My job in particular has been just that. To study your culture and now my life's work is coming to completion. Now it falls to me to decide if it is time to open up a dialog with your people or to maintain our position on observation."

He frowned. "And you've chosen me to represent the federation in this respect?"

"In a way yes. You've lived longer than any human that we know of. You've participated in some of humanities worst events and despite being betrayed by your own people you still serve within Starfleet. So in a way you’re the perfect candidate to speak to."

So'koth shifted uneasy in his chair. "Though I've been trained at diplomacy you have to know that it's not my strong suite. You have questions, I will answer. But it sounds like you know more than most about my life. Why the questions?"

"Facts without context." She said plainly.

He considered her words and nodded. "Alright. When do we begin?"

"Tomorrow," she stood and gestured back towards the far side of the terrace. A large door began to slide out of the way to reveal what he assumed was an apartment. "You'll stay here. It's Spartan but it should suit your needs. Again there are replicators that will provide you with food and clothing." She pointed to a device on the wall near the door. "That is a communications unit that is linked to me if you should need anything. I shall return in the morning and we can begin."

"In the morning then." He said walking towards to the apartment. He stopped at the entrance and looked around. It reminded him of when he was a young officer. There was a bed, a table, replicator and a bathroom. The only thing missing was the adjoining junior officer's quarters on the other side of the bathroom.

She watched him for a long moment as he stood there examining his new quarters before departing herself.

He took a moment to replicate something comfortable to sleep in and a fresh uniform for tomorrow. He took a quick shower, and turned in for the night. His brain couldn’t help but think this was a doomed situation. He was never the best when it came to diplomatic ventures, he started out with diplomacy by way of Torpedo's in the past. Now he managed to use his words more than torpedo's.

The next morning, he woke feeling very rested, stretching out before he walked out of the apartment he settled into a chair at a similar patio setting as the other out deeper in the terrace. He sat and drank hot tea and ate a light breakfast then dressed in his uniform and settled back in at the patio setting further away from the apartment.

"Good morning So'koth." Enara said as she approached.

He glanced over at her as she approached. "Welcome back." He gestured to the seat across from him. "What would you like to discuss today?" He asked leaning back in his chair.

"Straight and to the point I see." She said with a smile. "Where would you like to start?"

"I'm not sure."

"You had a unique time in the Academy?" She asked pointedly.

He nodded. "Indeed. Looking back on my time at the Academy I was certainly a handful."

"Why was it so much trouble for you?" She asked.

"Honestly?" He asked taking a drink from his tea.

She nodded. "That's what were hoping for."

"I didn't agree with some of the policies they had in place, it was stuffy. No fun." He said with a laugh. "So I had some fun, and got caught."

She smiled. "So you rebelled?"

He nodded. "In a way."

"What about your survival training?" She asked an eyebrow rising out of curiosity.

He opened his mouth as if he was about to say something then stopped. "I lost a friend, gained some more." He shifted uneasy. "I'd prefer not to talk about that if its ok."

She regarded him closely. "That was a difficult time for you?"

He nodded. "Yes."

"Alright," she said "What about your time at White Sands?"

He smiled, "That was probably a small turning point in my career. It started out great and turned into a bit of a nightmare. Perhaps a comedy even so at the end."

"How so?" She asked.

He smiled remembering something. "Yeah, well it started to become apparent to me that the base Commander was either intentionally or unintentionally trying to kill me. Turns out that he truly was in the end." His expression changed. "A lot of people got hurt. I lost a good friend there too."

"But she was much more than a friend to you?" Enara asked.

He nodded. "Yes."

"But she chooses a path you couldn't follow." She asked.

He nodded again. "Yes."

"Might I know why? You seemed well equipped for intelligence work." She said watching his reaction.

He frowned, "You know a good bit more than you lead on I think." He nodded. "Alright, then you know about the mission I presume?"
She nodded. "The Romulan station."

"It was a tragic accident, or so I thought it was. It took me a little time to figure out exactly what happened. Put the pieces together. Chris helped a little with that. It wasn't supposed to end like that, or so I thought. In the end it turns out that was the mission all along. It was supposed to be made to look like someone was making an attempt on the life of one of the Tal'shiar operatives but in the end it was about destabilizing that region by taking out that Starbase." He frowned. "I will regret that mission for the rest of my life."

"But wasn’t this part of the job?" She asked.

He shook his head. "No, not entirely. Yes, in intelligence you do end up ending lives but usually they are surgical, not with such a large level of collateral damage."

"How did you find out who caused the destruction of the station." She asked.

"When I got hit on the back of the head." He said. "The only one behind me was Jennifer. It wasn't hard to put two and two together."
"How did this make you feel?" She asked watching his reaction.

"Betrayed mostly. I already felt betrayed before that this just hammered the nail in it for me. But at the time I didn't want to dwell on it. There wasn’t any point, I had to live with the deaths of countless lives on my shoulders. But that wouldn't be the last time. After all the Dominion war was nearly as bad."

She regarded him a moment, "Tell me about your experience with the Dominion war." She said.

"That may take some time. It was long, and we were fighting on two sides. Not just the Dominion, but another group who tried to change things." he said considering where to start.

"Horn and Dwain?" She asked.

"Yes. Horn and Dwain." He took another drink from his tea. "And Gwen, and others." He frowned. "There was so much that those three had to answer for, they got what they deserved in the end. Though a cell would have been better in hindsight at least for Dwain and Gwen. Gwen at least made it there for a short time." He laughed. "Horn very rarely left behind loose ends."

She nodded. "But he got his eventually?"

He nodded. "Yes. Indeed. My late wife took his head. He tried to pull one over on us by posing as my first officer. His brother at the time."
"Late wife?" She asked.

"An unfortunate side effect of not aging." He said, glancing down at the table a moment. "We parted ways a long time ago. But you never stop caring about those you love even if your destiny isn't to be happy in that life."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not, we had a great life together. Despite all that happened between us I will always love and cherish our time together. Even though we were not near and together her passing was very hard on me." He looked up from the table. "She was an amazing woman."

"How did you meet?" Enara asked.

He took another drink from his tea and ordered another from the replicator. "At Utopia Planitia. She was an engineer there. Rough around the edges, but a brilliant engineer." He took a drink from the new steaming mug. "I think I knew from the moment I met her that she was special, but I wasn’t sure how. Didn't think I would fall in love with here considering I had been involved at the time with another woman named Zosha."

"We don't always know, that is certain." She nodded knowingly. "How do you feel about your essential immortality?"

"All good things come to an end." He said. "Eventually it will catch up with me. Almost has on countless occasions. It's only a matter of time. We live and die how we are intended."

"Retirement wasn't something that you found in your blood I take it? You retired more than once from Starfleet?" She asked.

"Yes, each time was usually in relation to some event in my life." He nodded. "But it was short lived. Retirement wasn't my destiny." He regarded her a long moment. "If you want the story of my life it only makes sense to start from the beginning of my trek, my destiny. One thing lead into another."

"So where do you think your destiny began?" She asked.

He nodded and smiled. "With another woman in my life. The Dark Angel."

"How did the Dark Angel come about?" She asked. "The ship of misfits is what she was known as wasn’t she?" Enara asked.

"Indeed." He said and leaned back in his chair. "That was an exciting time, and very deadly."

"Why is that?"

He chuckled. "Because I made another decision that would effect the lives of thousands again. But it also saved so many souls that it was worth it."
"How so?"

"I made a deal with the devil." He chuckled and nodded. "So let me tell you the story of the Dark Angel." He smiled. "What is a Dark Angel" So'koth asked. "But A fallen angel who walks amongst us, knows right from wrong, but choose wrong to complete the task that must be done."

"And this is what you did?"

"Everyday." He said solemnly.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

"Dark Angel"

So'koth stood silhouetted against a large set of windows overlooking the Utopia Planitia fleet shipyards. A mug of steaming liquid held between his hands. "Chief Designer's log, the construction of NCC-53286 is coming along, though parts of construction are on schedule or well ahead others are behind. Admiral Roteger was not kidding when he said that this job was a balancing act. Granted its not my first rodeo but I have a lot to learn about operations here." He shifts his weight. "I'm told we only have a few days before we have to push the Dark Angel out of her berth. They will likely ha..."

"Lieutenant Prevela to Commander So'koth?" The voice of Admiral Roteger's aid called over the intercom.

"Computer pause log." He said and then hit his communicator badge. "So'koth here, go ahead."

"Admiral wants to see you, observation lounge deck one hundred nineteen room eight. As soon as you can."

He nodded setting his mug down on the small table next to the windows. He looked down at the vessel he'd been working hard on over the last several months. "I'll be right down, thank you Lieutenant." He said closing the channel. "Computer Resume Log!" He said. "No rest for the weary, I've been called to a meeting with Admiral. No doubt to discuss the ships discharge. End Log!" He said starting for the door.

It was a quick stroll to the turbolift, it arrived only moments after he hit the call button. Stepping inside he nodded to the young officer. "Hello Mr. Terry, how are things today?" He stepped to the side of the lift. "Deck one hundred ninteen." He said.

"Not too bad, I'm heading over to the ship to help engineering with an engine test. There have been some issues with the port side thrusters. I hear Transporter room two blew up on the chief a little bit ago. You might want to avoid her, she's apparently on the warpath." He said with a smile.

"That's not good." He said mournfully.

Van smiled wider. "Have you heard yet who their giving the ship over too?"

So'koth shook his head, "No, not just yet. I'm on my way to a meeting with the Admiral now. Hopefully we'll know today. We don't have much longer before she's getting kicked out of the dock."

"Well, good luck with the meeting. I'll see you aboard later?" Van asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, I should be over after this meeting. Don't have too much fun." He said watching the doors close as the young Lieutenant Junior Grade departed. He waited in silence the rest of the ride. The doors parted into a hallway which featured a long set of windows overlooking the ship yard. He took a moment to stop and admire the view. The vessel he was constructing was floating not far from the windows. Workbee's clambering all over the ships trying desperately to meet their push off deadline. He smiled and turned taking a deep breath before hitting the doorbell next to conference room.

"Come in!" He heard the familiar voice of Admiral Roteger.

He stepped into the room looking up to find not just his boss but several of Starfleet's brass, including a familiar face he had not seen in some time. Rear Admiral Dwain now it would appear. The two regarded each other for a long moment. "Reporting as ordered." He said coming to attention.

"At ease." Admiral Roteger said, "have a seat Commander." He said gesturing to the opposite end of the table from him.

Slowly he moved forward into the room and settled into the seat, but barely had a moment to sit before the Admiral addressed him. "What are you still doing here So'koth?" The Admiral asked.

"Sir?" He asked looking up. "Your aid asked me to come here." He stood abruptly. "Would you like me to leave?"

"No. Commander. I mean here at Utopia Planitia." He said gesturing for him to sit.

"Building ships for you sir." He said.

"No, no your not. Not anymore." He said sliding a padd the length of the table.

So'koth began to protest. "Sir, I've done everything by the book since coming here. You've said yourself I'm one of the brightest officers you've worked with in a long time." He picked up the padd and began reading. "I...is this a joke?" He asked standing.

Admiral Roteger was standing next him holding out a small box. "No joke son, congratulation Captain." He said clapping him on the shoulder.
There were smiles all around accept for Dwain, who seemed entirely uninterested. "Thank you sir, I wont let you down!" He said shaking the Admirals hand.

"You've got work to do son, your out of that slot tomorrow." The admiral said dropping back into his eat. "Get to it!'

"Tomorrow? Right, Aye..." He said as he headed for the door. He stopped just outside of the conference room holding the small box containing his Captain's pip in it. He couldn’t help but smile broadly looking out at his new ship. Turning he headed down to the turbolift and stopped his finger inches from the call button hearing a familiar sound. Growling. He slowly backed away from the turbolift as the doors parted. A very angry half Klingon, half Vulcan woman charged forward out of the lift a finger immediately burring itself in his chest.

"Those stupid engineers couldn't fix a sonic shower let alone a transporter room." She growled.

"Hello chief." He said and was about to ask what went wrong.

"Don’t you hello me So'koth!" She said poking him in the chest several times. "Those morons blew up the damn transporter while I was working on the buffers trying to fix it from the last time they blew it up." She pointed to her hair which was nearly standing on end. "It will take weeks for me to get my hair to sit back down." She poked him in the chest yet again. "That's it, I've had it!" She said pushing past him and towards the conference room.

He opened his mouth to try and stop her but she had already walked into the room. He blinked unsure of what to do. Something loud went bang inside the room causing him to flinch. He just turned and hit the call button. "Good luck!" He muttered as the doors parted. Two security guards rushed out past him. The last thing he could see was them trying to get the door open.

The doors parted to admit K'lyn to the conference room, she had not even given the occupants the option of giving her permission to enter the room she just overrode the locking mechanism. She charged right up to the table and planted both hands on the glass table. Prompting a few of them to stand up and back away at the level of hostility she was displaying.

"Lieutenant Commander, what is the meaning of this!" One of the admirals said.

She reared back and pointed at the table. "Your engineers are morons!" She pointed to her hair. "They blew up the damn transporter again."

"Lieutenant Commander this is entirely inappropriate. You will file your grievances through your commanding officer. This is not h.."

"Shove your grievances!" She yelled and launched the chair across the room without thought. It slammed into the display behind the admirals sending a shower of sparks across the room and everyone scattering.

Admiral Dwain hit his communicator. "Security to Conference room eight, deck one hundred nineteen." He said backing to the wall.

"K'lyn you will stop this madness this instance." Admiral Roteger said, his voice stern and booming. "Do you hear me!"

She suddenly straightened as if she was struck in the face.

He came around the table until he nearly stood nose to nose with the woman. He only broke eye contact for a moment when someone began pounding on the door. Clearly security attempting to get in. "You will go with those men, straight to the brig and stay there until I decide what to do with you!" He said meeting her eyes. "Am I clear?" He asked.

She nodded. "Yes, Sir." She said calmly.

"Dismissed!" He said loud enough to cause her to jump.

She turned and walked to the door, and released the lock. She was met by Members of Starfleet Security who nearly fell through the door when it opened abruptly. They both drew weapons and leveled them at her. "Is everyone alright?" One of them asked.

"Fine, escort her to the brig!" The admiral said tugging his uniform tight.

"Aye sir." He said returning his weapon to his holster. He gestured for her to exit and she did heading for the turbolift a slight grin on her lips leaving the brass to their meeting.

"What are you going to do with her?" Admiral Dwain asked pushing his chair back to its place at the table. The others looked to Roteger.

"Court martial. This cannot be let to go. Let's pick this up and the discussion of her for tomorrow. What do you say?" He asked looking at the mess left behind.

Most nodded, and Admiral Dwain headed for the door and smarted as he hit the door when it didn't open. He hit the release on the door and it failed to yield to his request. He glanced back realizing they were stuck in the room. "Great." He said.

Admiral Roteger hit his communicator. "Roteger to Maintenance."

"Really Jes, you should invest in some new cloths. Those old leathers of yours have seen better days." Kitty said as she leaned on the bar pouring a drink.

"I don't like that replicated crap!" He said gruffly tossing back the drink. "Besides, these give me added character." He said.

She shook her head. "That may be, but if you get any more character you might become a holonovel." She said.

"How do you know he's not?" Nate Horn said as he approached his usual spot at the bar next to Jester and Kitty. "We don't call him Jester for nothing."

"How long have you had that duster?" Jester asked looking sidelong at Nate.

"Longer than you've been alive." He said settling on his stool.

Kitty shrugged pouring them both a drink now. "Maybe you both need a change in cloths!"

"I like my cloths!" Nate said. "I've worked hard to disobey the uniform code of conduct and I intend on keeping I that way until it suits my needs thank you!" He said knocking back his drink.

“Besides, Starfleet and the Federation is supposed to be about diversity right?” Jester said.

“Exactly.” Nate said setting his glass down and asking for another.

“Justify it how you want. Your cloths are both outdated.” Kitty said smiling.

“And yours aren’t?” Jester asked regarding her.

She smiled broadly. “They might look old, but they are new.” She said striking a pose. “You wouldn’t know it by looking but my vest is actually Targ leather.”

“Really?” Jester said with mild curiosity.

She nodded knowingly. “That’s what I said. Then I tried it on. It has the same feel and texture but its twice as durable as traditional leathers and it retains warmth so much better. Helps in places like this where the temperature is controlled for the benefit of the whole.” She nodded to the exit where the rest of the Station was.

Jester reached out and touched the leather, holding it between his fingers a moment. “Nice. I may have to look into one of those myself. Where did you get it?”

“Botts, second level. He custom tailors so you know it will fit.” She regarded him a moment. “Assuming you can stay one weight and size for any length of time.” She said flatly.

He let out a low rumble. “I’m the same bloody weight I was when I left Starfleet!”

“Sure you are!” she said pouring him another drink.

“You may be the same weight, but your likely just as slow.” A rough voice called from behind. “Perhaps you should have him Tailor you a vest in the size of a shuttle pod.”

Jester and Nate slowly turned to regard the man, a Klingon and his companions who had just settled into a table behind them. “Mighty big words coming from a single celled organism such as yourself.” Jester sneered.

“Now boys, behave!” Kitty said in a warning tone. “You know what happened the last time you got into it. The station commander said you’d be banned. We don’t want that now do we?” she asked eyeing the Klingon.

“Indeed.” The Klingon quipped.

Both Nate and Jester turned back around to face the bar, and held up their glasses to Kitty before drinking them down. Nate regarded his glass for a moment mournfully before putting it back down. “So where you off to next Jes?”

Jester watched as Kitty poured them another drink. “The Antares system, hauling some exotic cargo for an interest there. Mostly agricultural supplies.” He shrugged. “Nothing special.”

“Farm equipment, how nice.” Kitty said. “At least its honest and profitable.”

“No Risk, no Reward!” one of the Klingon’s said behind them. “Perhaps you’d be better equipped to haul garbage instead.” He let out another obnoxious chuckle.

Jester’s face flushed red, but he held his ground and just took another drink. Kitty peered past the two at the Klingons who were laughing at the situation. “Pipe down or your out!” she said sternly.

The Klingon’s head came around, a sneer on his lips. “Who’s going to make me leave, you?” he asked grinning back at her.

“Yeah, me knuckle head.” She snapped. “One more negative remark. Give me a reason!”

His grin deepened as he stood and turned toward the bar. “Here I am. Perhaps I grow tired of this scum sucking establishment. Your booze is watered down as is the company!” he said. “Your Starfleet lap dog and this thing!” he said gesturing to Jester. “Are no better than idle threats to buffer you from the real men. If you want real strength, you want a Klingon bouncer, not these two humans!” he snapped.

Slowly Kitty walked the length of the bar, both Nate and Jester watched as she lifted the end of the bar out of the way. She had a grin on her face as she sauntered her way down the length of the bar now in the customer space, she strolled right up to the Klingon stopping well within his reach. “Leave!” she said pointing to the door. “Or you’ll be leaving on a stretcher.” She remarked and her grin grew wider. “I hope you choose to stay so I can wipe that stupid grin off your face.” She said.

The other two Klingon’s slowly rose from their seats as did both Nate and Jester who slid off their stools. The Klingon in front of Kitty continued to grin. “Make me!”

The Klingon barely had enough time to finish his sentence before she snapped his head back with an uppercut which landed right on his chin and sent him sprawling to the ground in surprise. The other two looked down at their fallen comrade who was slowly getting up off the ground. “Ready to leave now?” she asked.

The Klingon merely grinned and threw a punch.

Kitty deflected the punch wide and sent his follow up down and away before she landed an open palm right to the center of his chest sending him back a few steps sliding on his feet. The surprise at her strength was written all over the Klingon’s face as he grinned and moved back toward her to press his attack, punching and kicking at her.

The other two Klingon’s wasted no time moving quickly towards Nate and Jester. Nate Yawned, which sent his opponent into a rage and he came on throwing punch after punch which Nate batted aside with no more than what seemed like a flick of the wrist.

Jester on the other hand had a cruder fighting style, he had taken a couple of punches in the opening barrage but managed to hurl himself at the Klingon and take him to the ground where the two continued to pummel each other on the floor.

Kitty took a few steps back as her Klingon Opponent pressed his attack, harder and harder. She blocked his three punch combination but a hook came through and got her across the face drawing blood from her lip, and one of the two forward facing kicks landed in her gut which caused her to lose some ground as well. But she quickly recovered catching him across the jaw twice and nearly missed with a glancing blow to his shoulder. It happened to send him backward a few paces giving her enough from for a roundhouse kick which sent him hurling backwards and into another table full of bystanders who had no trouble tossing him off and into another table. The entire bar suddenly erupted into a brawl.

Nate had finally grown tired after being hit a few times by his opponent, he threw a punch of his own putting enough force behind it to send the Klingon back about two feet sliding on the floor and left him holding his chest for a moment. But the Klingon wasn’t done yet, he rushed back in this time angrier and committed as ever to this battle. He threw a flurry of blows Nate’s way and to his frustration any that landed didn’t seem to even make him flinch. The Klingon started to slow already, Nate pressed his own attack. He landed a blow to each shoulder stunning the Klingon. Then hit him square in the chest again sending him sliding back several feet. He glided over the ground spinning and planting a roundhouse into the Klingon’s chest and sent him flying up and over a booth divider and sprawling across the floor. He took a moment to look around, the bar was in full-fledged chaos now.

Jester stood up next to Nate suddenly, “Hey, this is fun!” a hand adorned in leather and fur suddenly shot up from the ground and grabbed the back of Jesters clothing pulling him back down the floor. The two continued to pummel each other.

Nate blocked glasses and beer bottles as well as flying bodies. He managed to knock an Andorian clean out in one blow as he came at her in a drunken rage. He could see Starfleet Security starting to arrive outside, they were getting ready to come into the room but were waiting for enough backup.

Kitty suddenly appeared next to Nate. “This is not good!” she said, her chest heaving a little out of breath. “Fun. But not good!” she said looking around.

Starfleet Security entered shouting for people to stop. Most did but some continued and were stunned for their trouble. It didn’t take long for them to secure most everyone. The bar was a disaster. One of the officers approached Nate and Kitty. “I’m afraid you’re going to have to come with me.” He said sternly.

“Great.” Kitty said looking around one more time before following the Starfleet Security officer. “Damn Klingon’s. Every time!” she muttered.

“You need to stop letting them get your goat!” Jester said.

“Your one to talk!” Kitty snapped back at him.

Nate shook his head. “Well we all participated in this one. It’s all our faults!” he said flatly.

“I’m going to lose my bar aren’t I? “Kitty asked the Starfleet Security officer.

He nodded. “As much as I’d had to say it, yeah that is a high probability seeing as your bar has the worst reputation for this sort of thing.” He waited as they all piled into the Security office and were led by others back to cells to await what was to come next.

“This probably ended your career.” One of them said mournfully to Nate. “You’ve been in here far too many time’s yourself.” He shook his head. “Damn shame if you ask me.”

“I didn’t!” Nate said as the force field snapped to life between them. Nate settled down onto one of the seats and leaned back against the wall.
Kitty regarded him for a long moment. “Part of you wanted that fight, you’ve been trying to decide on leaving Starfleet anyhow and you just let this happen didn’t you? To give you an out?” a bit of irritation filled her voice.

“Not exactly, but it works.” He said without even bothering to look up.

Kitty dropped hard into one of the chairs. “Unbelievable.”

Jester regarded the two of them. “But…”

She looked up at him sharply. “But what?”

“You started it!” he said.

“Shut Up Jes!” both Nate and Kitty said at the same time.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

So’koth had spent most of the afternoon and a good portion of the evening over on his ship, he worked with new vigor having gotten some of the best news in a long time. He could not stop grinning up until he found a flaw in the computer’s security subroutines which he had to correct. This was an important loophole that had to be closed in the Security protocols as it left them vulnerable to outside connections using some very old radio band frequencies. It was an odd by chance find on his part. It was early morning when he woke up in his quarters aboard ship. He had already requisitioned them from the Quartermaster the night before, he still had yet to move his things over so it was different in that he had to replicate a new uniform. He had showed and was just sitting down to enjoy a breakfast when his communicator began beeping. It was still two hours technically before his shift was to begin.

“Engineering to So’koth!” the voice of the ships soon to be Assistant Chief Engineer Zachary Martin called to him.

“So’koth here, go ahead!” he said after hitting the badge to activate the channel.

“Sir Commander K’lyn has not reported for duty, I was just informed by Station Security she has been detained pending a court martial.” He said. There was a bit of worry in his voice.

So’koth considered his options for a long moment leaving them in silence for probably longer than he should. “Mr. Martin, get the crews going this morning I will see to the Commander. We’ve got a schedule to keep. Were due out of port by the end of the day today. We cannot afford any delays!” he said.

“Aye sir.” Zach said, it was apparently by his tone that he was nervous.

“You’ll be fine Zach, you know what you’re doing. So’koth out!” he said and hit the communicator again to close the channel. He stared down at his breakfast. “She’s not going anywhere anytime soon.” He muttered to himself, and began eating his breakfast, he didn’t exactly take his time but was not in an extreme hurry. He recycled the dishes into the replicator and pulled forth a travel mug of tea and quickly departed his quarters. The trip to the turbolift was quick as it was only three doors down from his quarters. He stepped into the turbolift. “Deck ten!” he called and the lift began to descend. “How am I going to get her out of this one!” he muttered to himself. “Should I?”

The lift doors parted and he stepped from the lift heading down the corridor and across the docking gantry to the base. A quickly transport over to the primary Starbase hub for the massive complex and he was in another turbolift. He stopped just outside the security office considering just how he was going to approach this one. He stepped through the doors and nodded to the man behind the security desk.

“Can I help you Captain?” he asked.

“He nodded. “Yes Lieutenant, I’d like to Visit Lieutenant Commander K’lyn if that is possible.” He asked.

The Security Officer nodded. “That’s fine, you’ll need to check any weapons you may have on your person before you go back. She’s in Cell three.” He pointed toward the door.

So’koth nodded, and headed back. He was not armed at the moment and thought better of it before departing the ship. The doors parted and he stepped into a Sally Port which allowed him entry into the Holding Cell area. He stood there a long moment at the door glancing around at those present in the cells. It was clear that most of them had been involved in an altercation. He recognized a few of the young officers, and some older ones. He slowly walked around the room starting at cell one, until he came to stop at cell three which only held K’lyn. He regarded her sitting with her back to him. “You’ve gotten yourself into a bit of trouble again chief.” He said.

“Go away So’koth, let me be!” she said.

“I’ve been doing everything I can to keep this from happening. I’m told you’re going to be court martialed?” he asked. He waited a long moment and she didn’t’ respond. “I really needed your help!” he said.

She stood up and stomped her way around the chairs nearly running into the force field between them. “Go away!” she growled. “Starfleet’s always been trouble for me. This is likely for the best!” she said. “Now go!”

He stayed there for a long moment, he could see the pain in her eyes even through the anger. He took a step back, and turned as if to leave. “I was really looking forward to working with you. It’s a shame, I think you had a promising career.” He said flatly.

“Screw you!” she said and bounced a fist angrily off the force field before turning and walking away.

“See you soon Chief.” He said as he took one more glance around at those present. He stepped out of the cell area after passing through the Sally port once more. He stopped at the desk considering his options. He turned to the Security officer. “Who’s presiding over her court martial?” he asked.

“Rear Admiral Gwen, and Admiral Roteger.” He said, checking his computer. “Looks like they are in a session now discussing several of our guests.” He said looking up from his console.

“Thank you Lieutenant.” He said.

“No problem Captain, and congratulations on the promotion.”

So’koth nodded and stepped from the Security office and stood for a long moment. “Computer Locate Admiral Roteger.” He said.

“Admiral Roteger is in Conference room 100, on deck twenty.” The computer’s voice called back to him.

So’koth turned and headed for the turbolift, he found himself suddenly paused at the entrance to Kitty’s saloon. It’s doors still hung open, but it was dark inside. He didn’t have to venture too far in to see the level of destruction the night’s bar fight did to the location. He took it all in and then turned and headed for the lift. “Deck 20” he said as he entered.

The lift ride took what felt like an eternity as he went over what he was going to say when he arrived unannounced. He didn’t normally make it a point to barge in on the Brass when they were in such meetings. But he felt this was an exception. The lift finally deposited him on the desired deck he made his way quickly around the bend to the conference room. He took a moment to pull his uniform tight and then pressed the call button on the panel next to the door. It took a moment but he heard a familiar voice. “Come in!”

So’koth walked through the doors as they parted to admit him, he noted that the same group of people who were present for his promotion were likewise present today. The only difference was Rear Admiral Gwen, one of Starfleet’s Judge Advocate Generals. “Good Day, I apologize for the intrusion.” He said approaching the head of the table.

“Yes, what can we do for you Captain?” Admiral Dwain asked.

“It’s my understanding your discussing what is to be done with Commander K’Lyn.” He said.

Admiral Roteger leaned back in his chair, he seemed to be interested in what he was leading into. “Indeed we are. That and those involved in a brawl last night in Kitty’s Saloon.”

“It’s not looking good for your Chief engineer. You may want to start looking into another.” Dwain said flatly.

So’koth nodded. “I understand. K’lyn is one of the most gifted Engineer’s I’ve come to know. I agree she’s a good bit rough around the edges. Sometimes she does not play well with others.” He looked around the room. “The way I see it, with war looming we cannot afford to lose more officers. Especially those with her skills. She threw a chair across the room, I woul…”

“She threw a chair at us Captain!” Dwain said, his voice rising.

SO’koth’s gaze shifted back to Dwain. “If she had intended you harm, you would have been hurt.” He said flatly. “I understand how the situation looks from your perspective. I’m not saying she should get off Scott free.” He shifted back to Roteger. “She’s due for crew rotation anyhow, and your intention was to put her on the Dark Angel. Let me take her away from here, she will be my problem.”

“We wouldn’t be doing you any favors by doing this!” Roteger said flatly.

“No, perhaps not. But never-the-less I’m volunteering to take her.”

“No, absolutely not.” Dwain said, his anger now coming out clear in his voice.

So’koth regarded him a long moment. “What would it take?” he asked.

“What do you mean what would it take?” Dwain asked.

So’koth shrugged. “What would it take to get you to agree to this deal?” he leaned on the table. “I’m willing to negotiate.”
“I’m not!” Dwain said flatly.

“Actually,” Admiral Gwen pipped up. “This situation at the Bar is going to cause a lot of work for my people. There were several involved that were going to be stationed to the Dark Angel anyhow. These people are all on their way out of Starfleet anyhow. They’ve proven to be a bunch of misfits, perhaps he can take them as well. Maybe make something out of nothing.”

Roteger leaned forward as if to say something but was cut off by Dwain. “All of them!” he said sharply.

“Sir?” So’koth turned back to him.

“You’ll take them all!” he smiled broadly. “We will put together a committee to determine officers that do not fit in. Go against the grain, much like you did in your younger years. You’ll take them all.”

So’koth considered his words. “Agreed.” He said with only the slightest hesitation. “I’ll take them all!”

“Are you certain you want to do that?” Admiral Roteger asked.

“Yes.” So’koth said this time without hesitation.

“This would be difficult for a seasoned officer let alone someone just now taking his first command. Are you certain? You realize this could also be a career ender for you as well should this fail.” Admiral Roteger stated.

So’koth was about to respond but was cut off by Dwain. “Exactly.” He said. There was a bit of excitement in the man’s voice.

“Give me your misfits. They will either come around, retire, or die. Either way, they are out of your hair.” So’koth said. “Despite Admiral Dwain’s best wishes, hopes, and dreams, I was able to pull myself out of that hole. I will help these people realize their potential and return them to you as good officers. I accept this deal.” He said.

Admiral Roteger glanced over at Gwen. “Are you okay with this?”

She nodded. “Yes.”

“So be it. So’koth, go get your people. Expect some changes in your crew postings coming.” Roteger said.

So’koth nodded. “Thank you.” He bowed his head. “Good day.” He exited the room heading for the turbolift.

“You realize you just put a challenge ahead of him that he will fight tooth and nail to succeed at right?” Roteger said, looking at Dwain. “He does not give up easily.”

Dwain Nodded. “Yes. I know exactly what I’m doing. Saving Starfleet any more heartache from misfits who are just like him. He’s not changed, and he won’t change anyone else. He’s a waste of time and resources. This will just lead to being rid of him once and for all!”

“I think you’re in for a big disappointment.” Roteger said.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

So’koth pulled at the collar of his dress uniform. Though it was fairly new and so were his measurements he still subconsciously felt as if it was choking him to death. He stepped into the room and glanced around at the many individuals gathered. Many of the new crew were milling about, even those who had been released from the Station brig. He slowly crossed the room, shaking hands and offering smiles until he found himself standing at the long buffet table. He gathered up a plate mostly of protein, he had not had a chance to eat much throughout the day.

After collecting his food, he made his way over to the large windows looking out at his ship. They would be leaving port in another two hours. Ready or not.

“Captain.” A voice called to him.

“Yes,” he slowly turned to meet the eyes of a man who looked as if he had stepped out of a Western. “Lieutenant Horn?” he asked.

The man nodded. “I wanted to thank you for getting us out of the brig. And giving us a place to go. Thought I was content with getting drummed out of Starfleet, this works.” He said.

So’koth nodded, and shook the man’s hand. “All I ask is you do your job.”

Nate nodded. “Aye.” He said and then moved off and collected his own plate of food.

“Nice turn out!” Admiral Roteger said coming up from behind him.

So’koth turned and shook the man’s hand. “Aye, that it is!”

“You going to be ready on time?” the older man asked.

“Don’t have much choice in that matter. We will launch, one way or another.” So’koth said.

Roteger smiled, “Even if you have to get out and push?”

A smile spread across So’koth’s lips. “Aye, even if I have to get out and push.”

“Have you had a chance to talk to K’lyn?” he asked.

So’koth shook his head. “No, she’s been avoiding me. And to be honest, I’ve been rather busy myself.” He shrugged. “She should be here tonight.”
The Admiral nodded. “I’m still not sure I did you any favors agreeing to this.”

So’koth regarded him a long moment. “Someone once took me in, gave me a chance to turn my life around at a time when I could have made some seriously bad decisions regarding my future. I owe that man my life. But in turn I feel it’s my obligation to do the same to others. Most of these people are misunderstood. Some are just not meant to be in. But with War, they will have to make those decisions. Work together, die together, or succeed together. At least they will know that they have the option. I know what it’s like to feel like you’ve got none.”

Admiral Roteger smiled. “I knew I made the right choice back then, and I know I’ve made the right choice now.”

So’koth continued eyeing the man. “You knew this was going to happen?”

The Admiral smiled and nodded, then turned, walking over to meet up with another Admiral leaving him to ponder that ideal. Had he been set up? A growling from behind caused him to freeze. Slowly he turned around

A finger found its way right in between two of his ribs as he was poked by K’lyn. “You couldn’t find the time to tell me!” she said.

“Been busy chief.”

“Don’t chief me!” she said poking him again. “I cannot believe they gave you my ship!” she said flatly.

“They gave me My ship chief!” he said.

“It’s mine, I built the damn thing.” She said, a bit of anger was seeping into his voice.

“I’m not going to argue the point with you chief.” He said taking a bite of the food on his plate.

She seemed to become more flustered at his refusal to continue the argument. “We will finish this conversation later!” she said and walked off, leaving him there with Zach Martin. He had followed her from the ship apparently. He offered a sheepish shrug of the shoulders.

“Mr. Martin!” he said.

“Captain, congratulations.” He said shaking his hand. “Glad you got her.” He gestured after K’lyn. “She’s been on a bit of a warpath since they let her out of the clink.”

So’koth nodded knowingly. “It’s not a surprise.” He set his plate down. “She does not like to be in debt to others. Not to mention the deadlines were under. She still hasn’t been told what’s going on. Or that she’s staying aboard.” He said with a small grin.

“Wait, she thinks she’s being kicked off the ship?” Zach asked surprised.

So’koth nodded. “Yup!”

The sound of a fork bouncing off glass drew his attention over to a small stage set up near an open airlock. Admiral Roteger was standing up on the stage at the podium. “If I could have your attention for a few moments.” He waited as people began to gather around and push toward the airlock. “It’s been a long standing Naval tradition to send off a ship and to give her a name. A name says a lot about a vessel. Up until today this fine vessel sitting out beyond has been known as only a designation. NCC-53286, but it’s time she had a name. A name that is fitting. It’s hard to name a ship as most of the time they are just the same build being sent out time and time again. But not today. Starfleet normally does not make a habit of building ships that’s sole purpose is to fight a war. When I gave the keys to the proverbial castle to Mr. So’koth and told him to build me a ship that was capable of dealing damage to our enemies, he was elated. You should have seen the look on his face. Where is So’koth! Get up here!” he said gesturing to him.

Slowly So’koth weaved his way through the crowd gathered, and faulted up onto the stage offering a wave to the crowd.

The Admiral clapped him on the shoulder. “So’koth has come a long way since joining us here at Utopia Planitia. I’m proud to see him off on his pride and joy. So with that: By order of Starfleet Command this vessels, registry number NCC-53286 shall be entered into the Starfleet Registry and known hence forth as USS Dark Angel NCC-53286. A name fitting of a vessel designed to strike fear and death into the enemies of the Federation wherever they may be. Congratulation Mr. So’koth.” The Admiral reached over and picked up a bottle of Champaign and handed it to him.

So’koth held the heavy bottle aloft in his hands and smiled up at the Admiral. “Thank you Admiral Roteger, this is an honor. But I feel that there is someone out there who deserves this moment just as much as I do. Maybe even more. Lieutenant Commander K’lyn, can you come up here!” he asked looking out at the crowd.

Slowly she came forward and stepped up on stage, her expression was neutral and one of confusion.

“K’lyn worked just as hard as I did, perhaps harder in some respects. And I think that it’s only fair that the ships Chief Engineer should have the opportunity to be the first one to damage the hull.” He said holding the bottle out to her.

Her expression changed from one of confusion, to realization, and then as quickly as it had changed it went back to neutral. She took the bottle holding it in both her hands, she slowly stepped past both men to the open airlock, its force field buzzing a little as she got near. She reached back and hurled the bottle through the field with all her might. It tumbled through space quickly and hit the hull splattering, creating a cascade of frozen beverage and glass. The crowd behind her cheered and clapped. She slowly turned around and just for a moment, smiled.

So’koth nodded to her. “Congratulation’s chief.” He said before turning to walk away.

She grabbed him by the arm and turned him back. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I wanted it to be a surprise.” He smiled and then turned and left her standing there.

There was a laugh from behind K’lyn which caused her to turn around. “He has a way with people doesn’t he.” Admiral Roteger said taking a drink from his Champaign glass.

“He’s infuriating.” She said.

Roteger grinned and nodded. “He’s a Captain, he’s supposed to be infuriating!” he said and turned to leave her in peace.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

So’koth strolled out onto the bridge still dressed in his dress uniform from the ceremony earlier, he’d not had a chance to change with all the necessary inspections that needed to be completed before their departure. He would soon rectify that but they were down the wire literally. He stopped at his new chair on the bridge and took a quick look around. Engineers, and the crew were still scrambling to get everything working as it was intended to.

“Captain,” the familiar stoic voice of the ships first officer T’lok said as he approached. “Welcome to the bridge.” He extended a hand with a PADD. “Our readiness report. I would like to state my objection to our leaving port as all systems are not fully functional as of yet. Those include our Weapons, and defensive system which have not been fully tested to specifications.”

“Noted, and unfortunately we don’t have the luxury. We’re going to have to complete these things on the fly Commander. We’ll be discussing this at our first staff meeting in an hour.” He slowly settled into his chair. “We’ve got containment, life support, and a whole lot of motivation. What could possibly go wrong?” he said looking up at the Vulcan.

“Indeed.” He said. “There are countless ways that this could go wrong. Shall I list them for you?”

“No T’lok that’s alright.” He smiled. “Shall we get this show on the road then?”

The Vulcan nodded and retreated to his own seat.

So’koth took a quick glance around the bridge and noted the presence of the majority of the senior staff. Even Doctor Oliver was on the bridge, though she hated being called that, both her and Jennifer Troy were on the bridge standing off to the side chatting with one another. “Departure stations!” he said a little above the noise. The bridge immediately went quiet, and everyone began to take their stations.

“Engineering is reporting ready.” T’lok said looking up from his console.

“Good to go!” Lieutenant Terry said from the helm.

“We still have some system’s incomplete but were as ready as we need to be to shove off.” Mia said as she turned to look over her shoulder from the Operations console.

“Alright then, let’s do this.” So’koth said shifting in his chair. “Dock master please Mia.”

“Control tower is reading you sir.” She said as she activated the ship to shore communications.

“Control this is the USS Dark Angel requesting permission to depart.” He said.

“Standby Dark Angel we have traffic movement in your sector.” A womans voice called over the open intercom.

“Roger that, standing by.” He said. “Mr. Terry Engage Running lights, thrusters to Stations Keeping!” he said.

“Running lights, and stations keeping aye!”

“Mia confirm all yard personnel are off ship and clear, button up the gangway and retract, then clear moorings.” So’koth said.

“Aye sir, clear the gantry and moorings.”

“Control to Dark Angel.” The voice of Admiral Roteger came over the intercom. “What are you still doing in my drydock.”

“Awaiting departure clearance.” So’koth said, a smile gracing his lips.

“Get out of here already, we’ve got work to do.” The Admiral said.

“Aye sir. Dark Angel out!” he said then looked to Zokeith at the helm. “Ahead four thousand KPH until you clear the dock, then quarter impulse until we clear the field.”

“Aye sir. Ahead four thousand KPH.” Zokeith said as he turned around and engaged the ships engines.

The viewscreen suddenly seemed to surge forward and the edges of the dry dock faded behind them. The stars began to drift, and the rest of Utopia Planitia with it as the vessel began to move forward. “Clear to navigate.” Mia said.

“Quarter impulse!” Zokeith said as he ramped the ships engines up.

Everything on the viewscreen sped up and very quickly the ship yard fell out of sight. “Very good, all ahead full Impulse until we clear the system. Then we can have some real fun!” So’koth said, he allowed a bit of excitement into his tone. He couldn’t help it. He had been waiting for this day for some time. He was never really sure it would happen, yet here he was.

“We’ve cleared the SOL system.” Mia called over her shoulder.

“Lay in a course for Deep Space Nine. Let’s start at Warp one.”

“Course laid in for DS9, Warp one.” The helmsman said.

“Engage!” So’koth said and stood. “Hold this course and speed for one hour.” He turned to T’lok after watching the stars stretch as the vessel shot to Warp without even a tremble. “Mr. T’lok, you have the bridge.” He said heading over to his new office. He crossed the room dropping into his chair behind the desk and hit the key on the computer on his desk. He quickly accessed their mission orders.

TO: Commanding Officer USS Dark Angel NCC-53286
RE: Dispatch Orders

Hello Captain, allow us to congratulate you on your new command, and the finalization of your new vessel. Your ship is going to be assigned to the 3rd Fleet as a Patrol asset along the Cardassian Neutral zone. With tensions on the rise in the area we need all the vessels we can get on the front line between us and the amassing Dominion forces. You will be there as a deterrent and observer. You will not engage the enemy should they encroach on the neutral zone with a sizable force that you cannot engage. It is paramount that you report any violations of our boarders over the destruction of the vessels that have breached the neutral zone. You will be under the command of Admiral Charles Hammer the commanding officer of the 3rd fleet. Additional orders will be provided to you upon your arrival at Deep Space Nine.

Admiral William Ross
Starfleet Command, Starbase 375

So’koth sat back in his chair staring off at the picture of the Horse head nebula on the wall. It was a picture that was rich in color and certainly was a cross of beauty and destruction. The nebula was charted centuries ago but it still captivated people. It was some place he hoped that even for a brief chance they would visit to explore. He had heard rumors about Admiral Hammer, he was reclusive but still managed to get his job done. Didn’t really intervene with his Captain’s command style as he preferred to let them do their own thing. This could be useful to him in the future, trying to mold Starfleet’s Misfits was going to require some flexibility. They had left the yard with nearly two thirds of their crew, the rest they were due to pick up upon arrival at Deep Space Nine.

Slowly So’koth got up and crossed the room and headed back out on the bridge, he nodded to T’lok as he settled back into his chair and hit the intercom button for a ship wide address. He hesitated for a moment. “Crew of the Dark Angel, I want to take a moment to speak with you. Look at the person standing next to you. That person living down the hall. Standing across the room at their duty station. Most of you have never met, but by the end of your tour on this vessel you will be close enough to call one another family. Starfleet does not know what to do with you. You’ve been labeled misfits because you don’t fit in anywhere. On this ship were all misfits and we wear that badge with pride. But consider that the person you’re thinking of, seeing near you. Their lives depend on you. To work as a team, to be a functioning member of this crew. We live together, and we die together. You don’t do your part; a lot more death will be the case. For most of you this is your last chance. Your last attempt at making something of yourself other than just being a misfit. If you want your career to end, this is where it will either with your resignation or your death. The choice in how you leave this vessel is yours. Welcome aboard the USS Dark Angel.” He cut the channel, and slowly looked around the bridge at all the eyes that were on him.

“Is that really what Starfleet thinks of us?” Zokeith asked.

So’koth nodded. “For the most part, yes.”
“But you’re not a misfit, how could you be here?” the helmsman asked.

So’koth smiled. “I had a troubled past, and only in the last few years has that changed Mr. Terry. “I believe that you should have the opportunity just like I did as a last chance. Which is why this ship will be crewed by those very people. Given a last chance to find a way to work and function within Starfleet but still maintain your identities.”

The helmsman turned back to his station pondering his words, So’koth smiled. “Increase to warp three Mr. Terry.” He watched as the Helmsman simply nodded and increased speed. “Every thirty minutes I want you to increase by one Warp Factor starting now.” He said.

“Aye sir.”

So’koth again hit the intercom button. “Bridge to Engineering.”

“Engineering here.” He heard K’lyn’s voice call back though it appeared to be muffled.

“I’m going to ramp up our warp drive testing, one factor increases every half hour.” He said and waited for the usual retaliation. But only a moment of silence graced the communications channel.

There was a grunt, and then her voice came through clearly. “Understood, engineering out!” the channel abruptly closed.

So’koth sat there a moment pondering what she was up too, normally she was more vocal about things like this, pushing her people or the ship too far. They had this argument time and time again while building the ship. ‘You cannot route that much power through the ship to one weapon system, it’s not possible’ then turning around and suggesting something fantastic to manage routing the power to something to make it happen. It was one of the many reasons he had come to love working with her.

He stood up and pulled his uniform tight. “T’lok, the bridge is yours. I’m going to go see about getting some food now that things have calmed down. I’ll see you in the morning?”

The Vulcan nodded. “Aye sir. Good Evening.” He said.

So’koth stepped into the turbolift. “Deck 5!” he said and sank into the back wall of the lift. It had been a long day. A little too long. The days ahead would undoubtedly be just as long or longer. War was a hell of a thing. The lift stopped but a few moments later, he strolled slowly down the corridor and stopped at his room but he stopped just as he was about to punch in his code spotting the chief engineer at the next door down. “Long day?”

She slowly looked his direction, her uniform was entirely covered in all manner of grime. Her expression was entirely neutral, she simply nodded.
“You get a chance to eat yet?” he asked as she punched her code into the door to unlock.

“No, you?” she asked.

He shook his head. “No. Too busy!”

“That’s an understatement. We’ve been working nonstop. Probably will be for days.” She said turning and leaning against the wall.
“Well if you want some company your welcome to join me for dinner, you can tell me about it?” he asked punching in the code to his room.
She nodded. “Sounds good to me. How about thirty, give me a chance to shower and change.” She said.

He nodded. “Yeah, I’ll do the same. See you in thirty.” He said and watched as she disappeared into her room. He likewise entered his quarter. “Computer lights, eighty percent.” He said crossing the room. He opened up his bag with his cloths and pulled out something comfortable and spent the next ten minutes just relaxing in the shower.

He pulled on his cloths and began setting his small table. He had chosen his quarters to mirror the other officers on board, it was Spartan and functional. He didn’t need much space so he had a room that doubled as both a Dining area, and living space with a small couch and two chairs. He did have a decent view looking out over the edge of the ship into space ahead of the ship. The stars were streaking by outside as they traversed space towards their destination. He was just off center on the port side so the stars were at least going the right way.

The door chime pulled him towards the door and away from the view. He hit the release on the door and meet his Chief Engineer. “Welcome, come in.” he said gesturing past himself.

She was dressed in something relaxing, they appeared to be a flexible fabric for the pants, and a long sleeve shirt in a hunter green color. “Thank you.” She said.

“Do you have any preference on food?” he asked.

“No, nothing specific.” She said.

He nodded and walked over to the replicator. “Something to drink?” he asked.

She considered her options in her head. “Raktajino, double sweet!” she said.

He nodded in approval of her request. “One Raktagjino, double sweet. One ice water, Pitcher and glass.” He said. A small tray with the two requests appeared, he set them on the table. He watched her for a moment as she strolled along the set of windows, she picked up something off the small shelf admiring it before setting it down and joining him over by the table.

“Computer, two Ribeye beef steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, and a sweet dinner roll.” He said, and then watched as both plates appeared, and suddenly the room filled with the scent of cooked beef and mashed potatoes. He set one plate down on each side of the table, and then replicated some condiments to go with the food. Then settled into a chair. “How are thing’s going down in Engineering?”

“Slowly. We’ve got so much to do still. You do realize that we just barely were certified and that were forgoing the usual shake down?” she asked as she began to eat.

He nodded. “Yes. Not exactly ideal but we didn’t have a choice. We had a few too many setbacks and a few too many launch changes.” He took a moment to take a bite of his own food. “Were under staffed, lacking in teamwork, and untested.”

She nodded. “Indeed. It could go very bad if we get caught out in the open with the ship in such a patchwork way. Let’s not even get into the idea of combat.”

“We’ve got about two weeks before we need to be ready for that. I’ve got an idea that might help with our equipment stores and other projects.” He said.

“Oh?” she asked perking up a bit.

“We’d have to break a few rules.” He said offering a sly grin.

She set her fork and knife down. “Do tell!”

“You know that there is a starship graveyard near Antares?” he said.

She sat back, her mouth hanging open a moment as if to say something. “Yes. But most of the vessels there are very old.”

He let out a chuckle. “That’s Starfleet’s official story, but unofficially it’s home to a lot of scraped projects, and experimental vessels that didn’t make the cut.”

“They didn’t strip them?” she asked astonished.

“Anything that is remotely classified yes. But there are still usable parts. I also heard from a friend there are a couple of vessels that were just taken there pending the removal of materials.” He continued to eat.

“So you’re thinking we just waltz up and pick and pull parts from ships?” she seemed suddenly skeptical. “What about security?”

“I’ve an idea on that as well.” He smiled. “We’ll be going over it with the command crew in the morning. So you might want to start putting together a wish list of things.”

“How about a second Warp Drive?” she asked.

“Yeah, I doubt we’ll find any of those laying around. Why would we want another Warp Drive?”

“To power the egos on the ship, or at least weapons and shields?” she asked allowing a slight grin herself.

“That’s not a bad idea!” he said suddenly drifting mentally.

“Not to say our Warp drive isn’t its own special kind of engineering. Who thought of using liquefied Dilithium as a catalyst. I’m not going to say that it’s not proving itself as super-efficient but it feels really damn dangerous too.”

He nodded. “I’d like to think it was a creative solution to help provide the power we need. Besides two warp cores would have been overkill. This is what happens when they give you the keys to R&D. You end up with a new computer core and operating system, warp drive, RCS maneuvering system, torpedo’s and the CRP.”

“Yeah, the CRP seems overkill. You think it will ever fully charge to use in combat?” she asked quizzically.

He shook his head. “No, but on the off chance it’s a nice emergency weapon.”

“That could kill us as well.” She said flatly.

“But at least we’d take them with us!” he said.

She nodded. “Fair enough.”

“The sooner we get that done the sooner we can get to Deep Space Nine and pick up the rest of our crew.” He took a drink. “Have you thought of any ways to try and bring your people together as a more cohesive unit?”

She shook her head. “I’ve barely time enough to go the bathroom, let alone team build.”

So’koth chuckled at the idea. “I wonder how many it will take before they realize they have to work together or die?”

She stared at him for a long moment. “You didn’t have to make that deal.”

“What deal?” he asked glancing up from his plate, like a deer caught in headlights.

She frowned. “To save our careers.”

So’koth sat back in his chair setting down his fork and knife. “Yes I did. For the most part these people are brilliant or could be at their jobs. They are just misunderstood or don’t fit in. That’s not reason to shove them out of Starfleet. That’s how you end up with Marquis.”

She regarded him for a moment. “So just like that, you put your reputation and life on the line for a bunch of strangers that you feel might be more than meets the eye?”

He nodded. “Someone gave me that chance. I found a way to pay it forward.”

“Fascinating.” She said.

His eyebrow rose in curiosity. “What?”

“Are you sure you’re not part Vulcan?” she asked.

So’koth scoffed. “Not a chance. But that does not mean that even I can’t be logical from time to time.” He shook a finger. “I know what you’re thinking, needs of the many crap. I suppose that is the case, even if I didn’t think it or quote it. But I’m entirely too human and entirely too Klingon to say I’m Vulcan by any right.”

“Could have fooled me.” She grinned. “You realize, and this is just something that occurred to me. The days ahead are going to be trying while we get everyone accustomed to working together. And by the sounds of it, your deal is going to have some ramifications for our crew compliment. “

He nodded knowingly. “You haven’t checked your in-box then I take it?”

“What?” she asked, all the fun leaching out of her voice.

“They cut our incoming crew by almost a quarter. Mostly engineers.” He said. She stared at him, he could see the anger growing. He held up a hand.

“Don’t shoot the messenger chief. I’ve already field a formal request to have that re-evaluated. A lot of our departments are going to be shorthanded for a while. With the largest crew on board, your department took the brunt of the cuts.”

“I cannot do this job with no staff.” She said angrily.

“I know. But were going to have to make do with what were given. Find ways to get the job done. Cross train people. Whatever it takes.”
She stood abruptly. “Your optimism is infuriating sometimes!”

“I’m just trying to make the best of a bad situation. This deal I made is going to ma….” He stopped as the alert status suddenly changed and the room was suddenly bathed in the amber glow of the condition yellow lighting. “Ut oh!” he said.

“Yellow Alert, Captain to the bridge!” a voice called over the intercom.

He shook his head. “This should be interesting. Shall we take a rain check to finish this conversation?” he asked as he headed for the door. She was right on his heels.

“Yes!” she said.

He turned the corner as he exited and headed down the hall for the turbolift. They both stepped in. “Bridge!” he said and the lift began to rise.
“Were not ready for this!” she said.

He nodded. “I know.”
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“First Blood”

So’koth stepped off the turbolift onto the bridge and crossed the room to his chair. “Report!” he said as he came to stop next to the chair.
T’lok looked up from his console. “We’ve detected four sensor readings that will cross our path in the next five minutes. They are at high warp and have deviated to intercept us. Based on their Warp Field and power output I estimate that there is a ninety-one percent probability that they are Jem’hadar vessels.”

So’koth turned back towards the Tactical Station. “Let me know once you have a reliable profile.” He said settling into his chair.

“Mister…” he had to think about his name. “Jaykumba right?” he asked the man at the helm.

“Yes Captain.” He said. He creaked as he turned his body.

“What is our current speed?” he asked.

“Warp eight at the moment sir.” The helmsman said.

“Mia, can you confirm they are on an intercept course?” he asked.

She nodded. “Confirmed. They will intercept us in about four minutes.”

So’koth considered his options. “Red Alert, All hands to battle stations. All Stop Mr. Jaykumba. Mia send an encoded transmission to Starfleet and apprise them of our situation.” He looked back over at the Tactical Station. “Mr. Horn, how are our defensive systems?”

“Untested.” He said flatly.

“Looks like we’re going to get one hell of a test now.” So’koth said his gaze falling on his first officer. “Get our pilots out there. Time is short. Have them form up close to the hull and be ready for combat assignments.”

T’lok nodded. “Aye,” he hit a button. “Bridge to Flight Deck, launch the alert five and get the rest out. We’re going to try out the beehive maneuver!” he said in his customary flat tone.

“I’ve confirmed sir; they are Jem’Hadar vessels. Three Attack ships, and one I cannot readily identify. It’s lagging behind the others.” Nate said.

So’koth settled down into his chair. Everything seemed to be going good so far, it seemed unlikely that it would continue but this would be a test of the ships capabilities. But what was the Jem’Hadar doing this deep in Federation Space, and undetected. “Designate Targets, let’s give the lead ship something to let the others think about.”

The viewscreen flashed as the first ship emerged from Warp, then twice more as the other two came in behind it, the two vessels rushed forward. They immediately opened fire, causing the ship to rock violently. “Fire!” he barked holding onto his chair.

“Sheilds are at ninety-four percent.” Mia called out.

The Dark Angel’s weapons lashed out and played across the lead vessel as it began to bank away. Most of the weapons missed, a singular torpedo landed. Slowly So’koth glanced over at Nate. “Really?”

The ship shook hard several times as they took more hits. “Targeting sensors are not calibrated. I will try manual but we won’t be as effective.”

“Mia, help get the targeting sensors aligned!” he said turning back as the ship shook again. “Center the weapons forward, use the zero plane to get them set right!” he said holding onto his chair. He shielded his eyes as sparks flew from something in the ceiling.

“Shields are down to eighty percent!” Nate said.

“Mr. T’lok release the fighters, have them take some heat off our back. Have them tag team Charlie!”

“Aye sir.” T’lok said as he went about sending orders.

Mia glanced back. “I think I’ve got it, try it now!” she said.

The bridge bucked hard as they took a heavy hit, the lights flickered and an explosion ripped through one of the unmanned stations. “Mr. Horn, target Bravo and give them a full spread!”

Nate looked down at his console and brought the ships targeting scanners online and let fly another spread from the Phaser’s and torpedo’s. Once again the viewscreen lit up with the Dark Angel’s weapons reporting. Though they managed to hit with one of the phaser blasts and two torpedoes’ they were still off. “Minor damage!”

“Keep at it Mia!” he shouted as the bridge erupted again and sparks and smoke began billowing out of the ceiling. Another empty seat erupted.
“Shields are at sixty-eight percent, and I’m showing a fluctuation in the shield grid. I think we’re losing the shields!” Nate said looking across at the engineering station.

“What?” So’koth said and stood up looking between K’lyn and Nate. “Get those shields back online!” he said. The vessel suddenly pitched hard and sent them sprawling to the floor. It took a moment for everyone to climb back to the console.

“Hull breach on deck eleven.” Mia said. “Emergency force fields are in place!”

“Transfer auxiliary power to the shields!” So’koth said over the chaos.

“Unable to transfer power, it appears a power coupling to the Shield system has depolarized.” T’lok said as things suddenly became calm.

So’koth looked back at Nate. “How are those sensor calibrations coming?” he asked.

Nate shrugged sheepishly. “Still wo... wait...” he looked up at the viewscreen as one of the Attack ships appeared. The Dark Angels weapons reported again and each one slammed into the vessel sending it skidding through space burning. The vessel shook as the ill-fated Jem’Hadar vessel exploded into a ball of expanding gasses and debris. “Got it!”

A cheer went up on the bridge, but only long enough for the bridge to erupt again as they took another pounding. So’koth turned. “Chief, what’s with this defective power coupling?” he asked crossing the trembling bridge.

“It was installed incorrectly. I’m working on it!” She shouted, her fingers furiously pounding away at the keys.

He turned back towards the main view screen to see the weapons play out across another of the vessels returning fire. It seemed to shrug off their attack and turned and hit them again. He had to grip the bridge railing to stay upright. “Status of shields?”

Mia shouted over the chaos on the bridge. “Shields still fluctuating, registering fifty-one percent!”

He turned. “I need those shields, or this will be the shortest command stint in all of Starfleet!” he said allowing the seriousness of his voice to convey urgency.

“I’m trying!” she said glancing over. “The only thing I can think to do is to reverse the polarity of the energy going through it. It will blow out the system eventually!” she said.

“Do it!” he said without hesitation.

“We won’t have shields if they blow!” she growled.

“We won’t have a ship if you don’t do it!” he growled back. “Do it, that’s an order!” She turned back to the console, and he headed for his seat. The lights on the bridge dimmed, flickered then came back online. The sound of something exploding deep within the ship echoed and vibrated through the hull, the ship shook hard.

“Hull Breach on deck thirteen, an EPS power conduit just ruptured. Shield just failed!” Mia called.

“Were being boarded!” Nate called.

During times like this Scott Robinson hated being part of Security, let alone security chief. Everyone else was fighting the good fight in ship to ship combat and he was stuck in the Armory waiting for a boarding action. You’d think he would have dreaded close quarters combat aboard ship but it was essentially his team’s bread and butter. He glanced around at his teams assembled in the Armory, they were armed and ready to go as a rapid response to any threat that boarded. “Alright boys, remember these guys do not play around. No Glory hounds, you put them down as soon as you see them. Focus, and shoot straight. They get in close don’t hesitate to switch out your weapons for hand to hand combat.” He said adjusting the phaser rifle he was gripping to his chest.

“Sir, is it true that they are dependent upon drugs to keep them going?” one of his junior officers, one literally straight out of the Academy asked him.

He nodded. “Yeah, white they call it!” he grabbed at a piece of the armory rack as the ship shook heard, the lights in the room flickered and went dark bathing them in the Red of the Emergency lighting. “Look sharp guys, it could be our time any moment.”

“Bridge to Security, we’ve detected transporter effect in Cargo bay two. Intruder alert!” T’lok’s voice called over the intercom.

“Let’s do this!” he said turning and heading out the door. He rushed down the corridor and into the Jefferies tubes. He preferred to take his teams manually there because if the lifts went down with them trapped inside or worse it could spell disaster for the ship. The ship rocked hard as he climbed the rungs opening the doors as he climbed. He nearly lost his hand hold and footing when the ship rocked hard again, and again. “Keep climbing!” he yelled.

It only took them about five minutes to climb to the right deck, he waited for the others to enter the small room, the stacked up. “Remember. Shoot straight, take your time. Remember your training!” he said and then slapped the manual release for the doors. There was smoke lingering and it bellowed in as the doors parted. He went low into a crouch and began to duck walk quickly into the hall, his rifle butted up against his shoulder.
The first volley of Jem’Hadar weapons fire from the Cargo bay streaked down the hall illuminating the smoke. He wasn’t sure if he heard someone get hit because he began firing and advancing until he got to a door and slipped just into the jam firing occasionally into the cargo bay. Not exactly the smartest option. But effective to keep them suppressed. The door across the hall opened and a man in Starfleet Gold was standing there his cloths stained with blood staring across the hall at him. He held up a hand for the man to stay put but he was shaking like a leaf, he lunged forward and he managed to make it about halfway across before his was struck along his flank, it nearly spun him around. Scott was able to catch him with one arm and drag him back into the room. “Moron!” he shouted.

“I was just trying to fix that damn power coupling.” The injured man said. “I have to fix it!” he said.

“Ok, where is it?” Scott asked him.

“In the Cargo bay, just inside the Jefferies tube access.”

“Great,” Scott said. “So we have to fight through those bastards and get you in there alive.” He pulled open one of his many pockets of his tactical gear, and handed him a bandage. “Wrap that around your wound!” he said.

“Yes. That about sums it up.” The man said, his voice was shaking.

“What’s your name?” Scott asked.

“William, William white!” he stammered.

“Alright William, can you walk?” Scott asked him.

He nodded. “I think so.”

Scott hit his communicator badge. “Alright people, new mission. We need to get this engineer into the Cargo Bay and into the Jefferies tube. It’s paramount so were going to push, on three.” He said.

There were several clicking noises over the communicator channel and he counted them off, all six. “One… two… three!” he said and spun out the door and began firing in through the cargo bay doors. He shouted in glee as he hit one of the Jem’Hadar and sent him sprawling to the floor. A few shots came back at them as they got closer to the doors. He pushed past and to the opposite sides. The doors were splayed open from an explosive charge that had been used to breach it into the ship. The metal was jagged and bent. The rest of his team were firing as they came up as well splitting like the bow of a ship through water.

One of his team mates was struck trying to cross the space between blown out door halves. It caught him right in the throat and sent him gurgling to the floor, he stopped moving in seconds and the pool of blood was growing frighteningly fast. He noted that the smoke was very suddenly beginning to clear and what they were using for cover to move was now gone.

“Flashbangs!” he yelled, and pulled out a spherical ball. Set the fuse and tossed it through the doors. The report of several flashbangs going off all at once was music to his years. His team rushed the doors and in they went firing wildly. One of his people was hit and went down, but they continued to fire until they were hit several more times. He followed the last ones in and signaled for William to follow quickly and he did.
Another went down, and just a few seconds earlier it would have been him. She tumbled across the ground and behind cover. She gripped the wound in her side and began to cover it with her hands. She pulled her phaser and began firing while trying to staunch the blood flowing from the wound.

He had a brief moment to survey the room before ducking below cover. There were still eight of them. He looked at William. You run for that Jefferies tube hatch and lock it when you get in there.”

William nodded, his face was white as a sheet.

Scott popped up from his position and began moving to his left, his other two officers likewise followed popping up from behind cover and began firing wildly at the Jem’hadar and in that brief moment three of them fell. They continued to move advancing on their positions firing all the way. Another Jem’Hadar fell. He felt a tug on his hip but continued forward even as pain blossomed from the wound.

He saw one of his other team members go down to his right. He in turn fell the Jem’Hadar soldier that took her down. He lept over a crate and went straight to the ground for his efforts. He pulled his weapon up and looked up to find one of the Jem’Hadar standing over him. He saw him thrust with his weapon, and felt the sharp pain and the sudden inability to breath. Out of the corner of his eye he could see William White disappearing into the Jefferies tube. The hatch slammed shut.

The Jem’Hadar soldier drew the weapon back and thrust it again, Scott didn’t feel it this time as the blade plunged into his chest, but he had a brief moment of clarity as the Soldier looked away. He lifted his weapon and fired catching the unaware Jem’Hadar soldier right under the chin lifting him off the ground and sending him falling out of sight. He pressed the code into the control on the top of the weapon as black started to creep into his sight.

There was a surge as the ships shields came back online, and an explosion blew the Jefferies tube hatch off its mountings on the wall. The fire raging inside the tube was clear sign that William had made the connection, but paid for it with his life. Scott saw through the darkness as the tell-tale flash of a Jem’Hadar weapon reporting and the world faded into darkness. But he was leaving behind a long lasting impression with those remaining Jem’Hadar.

The phaser set to overload exploded ripping apart the cargo bay, killing everyone inside and leaving behind a raging fire.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“Shields just came back online, were at seventy percent!” Mia called out in surprise.

“Mr. Horn,” he turned. “I grow tired of this game!”

The Tactical Officer nodded, and looked back at his station intently.

“Mr. Jaykumba, let’s play chicken!” he said coming to stand between the operations officer and the helmsman. “Bring us to about!”

The viewscreen spun, and very quickly the Jem’Hadar vessel closed. So’koth stood doing everything to hold his footing as the ship rocked under the oncoming vessels onslaught. “Fire!” he said simply. The vessel was closing rapidly when the Dark Angel’s weapons lashed out and began pummeling the vessel. “Sparrows, load two aft!” he barked.

“Loaded!” Nate called but moments later.

They passed the vessel which was burning in several spaces, they were still fighting, firing all the way. “Fire!” So’koth barked again as the viewscreen shifted aft and showed their angle of departure. Both the blue torpedoes streaked out and it seemed for a moment that nothing happened. No explosions on impact, but Sparrows were not designed to detonate on impact. Suddenly the vessel turned into a ball of expanding gasses and debris.

“Vessel destroyed!”

“How’s our fighter compliment doing?” he turned and headed back to his chair.

“All still showing active. A few are damaged. The Jem’Hadar vessel has taken a considerable beating Mia said.

“Jay, let’s go finish this!” he said settling into his chair. “K’lyn how’s the shields?”

“Still there for the moment.” She said begrudgingly.

“Range?” he asked looking back to Mia.

“Twenty thousand Kilometers and closing.” She said.

“Mr. Horn, as much as I’d hate to rob the flyboys, can you soften them up a bit?” So’koth asked looking over at the Tactical Officer.

“Yes sir.” He said and a single torpedo streaked out and struck the Jem’Hadar vessel near dead center of its ventral side. The vessel visibly heaved upward. The fighters that were swarming over the craft hitting it from all directions suddenly formed as if on Cue and all hit the same spot with their own torpedoes. The vessel turned into a ball of light as it ripped itself apart.

“I hate to break up the party,” Nate said as he looked up from his console over the cheers of those present on the bridge. “We have more company!” he said shifting the viewscreen to show the large Jem’Hadar battlecruiser appear out of warp.

So’koth didn’t skip a beat. “Evasive Maneuvers Jay!” he watched as the first volley from the massive vessel grazed his ship causing tremors to run through the vessel. “Return fire! T’lok get those fighters formed up on us.” He pulled open the console at arm and surveyed the technical read out form the sensors. “Jay, get us in close. Right on top of him if you have too! Nate, coordinate your fire with the fighters. Where we hit, they hit were going to need all the punching power we can muster! Load a full spread of sparrows aft. As soon as you have a hole, plug it with those!” he said.

The battlecruiser loomed large on the viewscreen until it took up the entire screen, the ship shook as both sides exchanged blows and with the proximity of the two vessels it was hard for the damage to not splash over. The inertial dampeners struggled and everyone clung to their chairs as the vessel pitched and rolled to go around to the ventral side of the vessel. Again the exchange ensued.

“Report!” So’koth called as he sat back upright after they took a hard hit.

“Shields are holding at forty percent!” Mia called.

“Enemy vessel shields are at seventy-nine percent; we did manage to knock out two of their weapon systems by luck. But this thing’s got more teeth than I can count!” Nate said.

He glanced over his shoulder to the engineering console. “K’lyn how is your patch holding up?”

She looked up and shook her head. “It’s barely holding together. I’ve got engineer’s running bypass lines like crazy in case it does fail but even with a Christmas tree of bypasses it’s not going to be enough if this fails.” She said. “Not against that!”

“Options?” he asked glancing around.

“Sir, our security forces have engaged the Jem’Hadar soldiers, they are locked in a stalemate.” T’lok said. “We should send reinforcements.”

“Do it!” he nodded.

“Mia, what do the fighters have left?” So’koth asked.

“Each one has at least one torpedo left, a few are on reserve power for their phaser coils.” She said gripping her seat as the ship rocked again.
“We need a kitchen sink.” He muttered.

“Sir?” T’lok said looking up. “I fail to see how a kitchen sink would assist us in this situation.”

So’koth shook his head. “It’s a metaphor.”

“Tractor beam?” he heard Jaykumba said.

He pondered the thought, he thought at first to dismiss it but then he turned to T’lok. “Do we have enough power to use the tractor beam to try and disrupt their shields enough we can punch through?” he asked glancing back at the screen. He gripped his chair as they were about to transition again to the Jem’hadar vessels dorsal hull again.

He could see the gears turning in the Vulcan’s head. “I believe so. If we can alternate the frequency and modulation of the graviton beam, we could potentially disrupt their shields enough to get a few shots through. They would have to be calculated as I’m certain they would adapt.”

He nodded. “Mia find the sweet spot on this tin can and lets crack it open.” He looked at T’lok. “Get it ready.”

“I still have those Sparrows in the aft tubes.” Nate said.

“Load something fun in the forward tubes, were going to need something to knock with!” So’koth said grinning.

“Aye!” the Tactical Officer said.

So’koth sat back and watched as the hull of the Jem’Hadar vessel flew past at blinding speed. They were getting ready to make that transition again back to the lower portion of the ship. “Mia?” he asked.

“Their hull reflects our scans, I can barely make anything out.” She said in a panic.

“Best Guess Ensign.” He said.

“I have completed the necessary modifications.” T’lok said.

Mia nodded and then ran her hands over the console then gripped it as the vessel made the turn again and transitioned. There was a heavy shift and shudder as the ship took a hit. Sparks shot from the helm console causing Jay to leap from the chair just as the console erupted sending sparks, debris, and smoke to the ceiling. “Coordinates sent!” she shouted.

So’koth was up and moving, he dropped into the helm brushing some of the debris off. He noted the course and heading and corrected sending them toward the area in question. He glanced over and saw Jaykumba was unconscious. He hit his communicator. “Medical Team to the bridge!” he began to reorient the ship spinning it so that the hull was above them. “Standby!” he said.

The ship suddenly stopped, and the rear end of the ship kicked out and away. The Engines screamed and sent a groan through the vessel as they suddenly went into reverse pulling away. “Now!” he shouted.

The Tractor beam lashed out and began licking away at the Jem’Hadar vessels shields. But with the aft end of the ship now sticking out the Jem”Hadar vessel began to pound them. The ship shook and it didn’t stop. “Anytime now Mr’ T’lok!”

“There is a hole!” the Vulcan said shouting over the chaos.

“Fire!” So’koth shouted.

The Ships weapons reported, phasers lashed out in short bursts hitting the edge of the shields as they slowly peeled open. Then they elongated ripping into the hull of the Jem’Hadar vessel crating ruts of melted metal. Four blue orbs lept the distance between them and hit the hull in succession. The viewscreen whitewashed and the resulting explosions sent everyone sprawling to the floor. Smoke quickly filled the bridge as fires erupted in consoles. A conduit blew out leaving a gaping hole providing a hole into the observation lounge where a console one lived. So’koth pulled himself back into the helm, and started twisting the ship.

“Shields have failed!” he heard K’lyn call out from the back of the bridge.

“Nate!”

“Launching!” he heard the tactical officer yell.

They all looked up at the gaping hole and saw the energy field rapidly closing, but all four torpedoes passed through the hole and made small sliver flashes as the impacted the hull. So’koth didn’t care to wait for the report if they made it through or not, he pressed the ships engines to full impulse. “Keep firing!” he yelled.

The ships aft weapons began to report as they pulled away, the Jem’Hadar vessels hit them a few more times sending tremors through the ship that you could feel in your bones, they had to fight to stay in their seats. The lights on the bridge went out bathing them in the red of the Emergency lighting. On the viewscreen explosions began ripping through the hull starting at the angry black scar where they had punched through. So’koth got up as Zo’keith Terry appeared to take over at the helm. “Mia?” he asked trying to get the dry feeling out of his mouth.

“Internal damage, our sparrows punched through. Those are secondary’s running through the ship.” She said watching as the vessel began to tear itself apart from the inside out. “Their shields are down.” She said.

So’koth stood there watching the explosions for a long moment. “Nate.”

“Yes Captain?”

“Finish it!” he said walking back to his seat. He settled back into his chair. A full spread of torpedoes angry and red suddenly streaked away from the Dark Angle hitting at various points only amplifying the already destructive chain reaction. The vessel erupted into a massive explosion sending whole starship sized chunks of vessel into space.

He nodded. “Mr. Terry, get us back on course for Deep Space Nine.” He surveyed the darkened bridge. His eyes finally landed on his executive officer who was looking at him with a quizzical eyebrow raised. “My ready room.” He said flatly and stood heading for the doors. T’lok followed him into the room. “I want a damage assessment as soon as possible. I also want an analysis of this action. I feel like we were not prepared for this, not just because of our untried systems.” He set his chair upright and began picking up the mountain of PADD’s laying on the ground strewn about.

“Aye sir.” T’lok said and stood there, it was obvious that he had something on his mind.

“What is it T’lok?” he said tossing the last of the PADDs’ back on his desk.

He nodded in some sort of approval. “I’m curious Captain, what was the logic in finishing the vessel off?”

He sat down hard in his chair and let out a sigh. “You’ve not read any of the intelligence reports on these people?” he asked.

“I have. But I am still unsure why we choose to destroy them instead of giving them the option to be prisoners.”

“Because we don’t have the space. They fight to the death. They would have either committed suicide against us in hand to hand combat or flown their vessel into ours to try and take us with them. The option had to be taken out of their hands.” He said, his tone was mournful. “We have enough of them on the ship as it is don’t you think?”

“Indeed.” He nodded. “You didn’t ask for a report on that situation which I found puzzling.”

“Has the situation been rectified?” he asked.

The Vulcan nodded. “Yes.”

So’koth regarded him for a long moment. “T’lok, if there is something that you feel I miss your welcome to say something. On the bridge, wherever. We have to gain each other’s trust. One thing you’re going to find working with me is I trust that if there is still a danger you’re going to tell me. That you’re going to anticipate those types of questions or answers. I know that you’re a highly educated being. I trust that you’ll always do the right thing for me and for this crew. That’s why I asked for you to be my first officer. So I didn’t have to ask because I knew that you would have addressed that situation.”

The Vulcan seemed to ponder his words for a long moment. “I find that a logical arrangement.”

“We need those assessments.” He said.

T’lok nodded. “Aye sir.” He turned and left, he wasn’t out the door before K’lyn was coming in, the two nearly collided. She pushed past him and stood right in front of his desk, she was eradiating anger. He slowly looked up and nodded to T’lok who had stopped a moment at the door. It slowly slid shut.

“Sit down chief. Take a breath.” He pointed to the chair.

“Sit down?” She said through clenched teeth.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

He stood and slapped both hands down on the desk. “Sit down!” he yelled allowing the stress and anger that was built up in him roll forth in his words. “Now!”

Visibly it looked as if she had just been smacked across the face when she flinched at his sudden and swift outburst. She slowly sank into the seat. Her own anger subsiding quickly.

He sat down again this time slower, he let out an exasperated sigh. “I’m sorry.” He said after a few heartbeats had passed. “Are you alright?”
She nodded. “My ship isn’t!” she said.

He nodded knowingly. “I know chief. We’ll get her back in line.” He stood and walked over to the replicator. “Water, cold!” he said and looked over. “Drink?”

She shook her head. “I’m sorry. She wasn’t ready for this!” she said.

He picked up the glass of water and stopped as he raised the glass, his hands were shaking. “I know. It’s not your fault. We should have been focusing on some of these things as soon as we left dry dock but no one could have imagined we’d run into Jem’Hadar vessels this close to Sol.”
She nodded. “The shield grid is gone.”

“We expected that. Do we still have Warp Drive?” he asked.

She shook her head. “Those last hits we took disabled the Warp Drive. It’s going to be a few days before we will have it back up.” She said.
He finished drinking and set the glass back down on the table. “Do what you can. I’m going to call a Staff meeting in an hour to go over this action and our reaction to it. We need to figure out how bad this hurt and rub it in.” he said.

“Rub it in?” she asked looking up.

“Yes. They need a reason to come together. This is one of many. This was their first taste of what life is to come.”

She slowly stood up. “If this is a taste of the future maybe I’ll retire early.” She said as she started walking for the door.

“That would probably be eternally boring.” He said and took up his glass. “It will get better.”

“I hope so, or we’ll be spending a lot of time floating around trying to patch her up with duct tape and bubblegum.” She said disappearing out the door.

He Sat there in silence for a long while, going over the battle. Again, and again. He wasn’t sure how long had passed when he finally hit his communicator. “So’koth to Braddock.”

“Mia here captain, how can I help you?” she asked.

“Mia get me Starfleet Command.” He said.

“Aye sir. One moment.” She went silent, he could hear her working the console. “Admiral Ross on subspace sir. Channel is secured.” The image on his desktop computer shifted and the Admiral appeared.

“Captain So’koth, this is unexpected. What can I do for you?” he asked. “You look like hell. Is everything alright?”

So’koth nodded. “I thought it best to call this in right away. We ran into a small fleet of Jem’Hadar vessels while in transit to Deep Space Nine. Were only about six hours out of Sol at warp.” He said.

“Six hours?” the Admiral sat back in his chair. “Dominion forces that close to Sol. This just took an unexpected turn. What was the compliment of ships?” he asked.

So’koth let his hands dance across his computer console and packaged up the sensor data from the engagement from the point they detected the vessels up to the completion, once putting it into a secure data packet he sent it to the Admiral. “One Battlecruiser, three attack ships.” He said.
The Admiral was staring intently at his screen. “How bad did you fair?” the admiral asked.

“Were limping along at Full Impulse for the time being, were assessing damage now. We took a beating. We’ll be back up and running soon enough.” He shifted uneasy. “I’ll send a full report as soon as we assess damage and casualties. We managed to keep all our fighters in tact so we didn’t lose any pilots.”

“You actually used those crazy son’s of bitches?” the admiral asked.

So’koth nodded. “We threw everything at them next to the kitchen sink.” He said. “In the end we did that as well in a way.”

“This tractor beam thing you did, that was pretty impressive.” The admiral said pointing at his screen. “Those Sparrow torpedoes were an interesting choice.”

“Too close for Tricobalts.” So’koth said.

The Admiral Nodded. “I hate to say it, but I need you to classify this. Instruct your crew that this is not to be spoken of outside of your vessels channels. We cannot have people thinking that they are not safe and that the Dominion has already begun reaching into Federation Space.” The admiral shook his head. “The fact they got this far without anyone noticing is concerning.”

So’koth nodded. “Aye sir.”

“Good job So’koth, despite your sacrifices today you guys saved lives.” The admiral said. “Ross out!” the image faded away. Slowly he got up just as his door chime beeped. “Come!” he said.

T’lok walked in. “Senior staff has been assembled in the conference room.”

“Let’s go have a chat!” So’koth said, rubbing his hands together. The two of them exited the room and headed across the bridge. Despite the hole in the wall they still chose to use the door. Slowly So’koth threaded his way to his chair at the table and settled back into it. “Are we all here?”

“All but one sir. I asked Mr. Horn to join us in place of Mr. Robertson.” T’lok said.

“Where’s Mr. Robertson?” he asked but stopped seeing the mournful look from a few of his officers.

“Mr. Robertson and his team gave their lives fighting against the Jem’Hadar boarding party.” T’lok said. “I’ve asked Mr. Horn to share the duties of chief of Security with myself until we decide on a replacement.”

So’koth nodded. “Very well. Doctor Clawson, casualty report.”

The Catian doctor nodded. “We have forty-seven wounded, twenty-one dead.”

“Forty-seven wounded, and twenty-one dead.” He repeated looking around the room. “Forty-seven wounded, and twenty-one dead because both this ship and our crew were not ready.” He slowly leaned back in his chair. “Let that sink in for a moment. We lost a department head. We all lost people from our departments, and now were down sixty-eight crew.”

“No one could have known that was going to happen, that we would run into a Jem’Hadar fleet so close to Sol.” One of the department heads said.
“It’s war. We should have been ready.” He said. “Now we have to repair the ship and finish what was not completed in dry dock. For that were going to need a considerable amount of supplies.”

“So let’s turn back around and get supplies from Utopia Planitia?” someone said at the back of the room.

So’koth nodded. “That would be ideal, but we were given our allotment of parts and supplies. So there is no turning back, so we will need to think outside the box on this one. So here is the plan. “Mr. Terry, I want you to pick one of our oldest shuttles and make it look as the part. You’ll want to change the ships transponder to a civilian registry. We are going to sneak into the fleet starship graveyard at Antares.”

“The graveyard?” K’lyn stated. “How do you suppose we’ll get permission to take what we want?”

“Were not asking.” He said flatly. “Anyone who has objections may note them in your logs. But it’s really our only choice. If someone has another idea I’m certainly open. K’lyn how much of our supply reserve will repairing just the warp drive and main power systems?”

“Nearly all of it. And we won’t have enough to get everything running at full efficiency, were going to be bypassed like a Christmas tree. Just like we are now.” She said, her lips curling into a frown.

“There you have it. Now I considered barter with civilian and other Starfleet vessels, but that’s only going to get us so far. We won’t get another yard period for a long while. So, you may want to get used to thinking outside of the box.” He said leaning forward again. “Alright, unless anyone has anything further on that subject?” he glanced around the room. “My last bit of quick news is not going to go over so well with everyone but it’s what we’ve been ordered to do. Our encounter with the Jem’hadar never happened. All records, sensor logs are to be classified level ten and higher. It’s up to each of you to deliver this message to the crew and ensure that they follow those orders.” He held up a hand as everyone around the table began to complain. “I agree with you entirely. But these are our orders. For now, I want you to pull your crews together and start repairing what you can. Anyone with any engineering experience needs to pitch in. Coordinate with the chief, and then once we get the ship to the point where she’s in decent shape we will begin to brainstorm ideas on how to prevent further death. Dismissed!” he said sternly.
The crew began piling out to go do their duties. K’lyn stayed as well as Nathan and T’lok. He glanced over at his first officer. “Well, spit it out!” he said.

“I must point out that this course of action violates several laws. Despite our being Starfleet, were not authorized to take these items.” T’lok stated flatly.

“I’m aware.” So’koth said.

K’lyn’s frown depended further. “You’re willing to risk your career over this?” she asked.

He nodded. “If ever did we need the crew to come together this is it. We need supplies and it’s the only option. Besides how far are we going to get if we do not do this?” he looked to each.

“The course you’ve chosen is a logical one.” T’lok said.

Nate stood up slowly from his chair. “I believe it is the right one as well. One little known fact is that there is a sensor net around the yard. As soon as anything passes over it that vessel will be detected. Your idea of a decoy shuttle is actually spot on. What I would suggest is have them fly over the line and cross with enough time to register both ships.”

“Good idea!” So’koth said standing as well. “We’ve got a lot of space to cover and a lot of repairs ahead of us.”
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“Inside the box”

“Shuttle Gambit, what is your status?” a voice called over the intercom.

Van Terry activated the communications channel. “Shuttle Gambit here, all systems have checked out. I’m about ready to make the jump. Are you ready?” he asked.

There was a brief pause. “Were finishing up our diagnostics now. Standby.”

He nodded and closed the channel and began running a diagnostic on the shuttle systems. The results once again came back as positive.

“Dark Angel to Gambit, were go for mission. Slave your navigation and engine’s to our computer. Sit back and enjoy the ride.” Jaykumba said over the communications channel.

“Roger that Dark Angel, see you at the rendezvous.” He said and closed the channel. With a quick tap on the communications and navigational systems he slaved his shuttles drive to the Dark Angel’s and quickly received a confirmation on the connection. The countdown appeared on the navigational console and the small vessel’s warp drive kicked in sending the vessel streaking into subspace.

Van sat back into the acceleration couch. The trip to the Antares fleet graveyard would not last long as they had come out of warp just beyond long range sensor distance from the yard. He also wanted to make sure that he was comfortable for the coming event. They had set it up so that his warp drive would fail in a dangerous but not fatal maneuver which would have his course suddenly sheer and toss him over the sensor grid at the yard.

He felt the sudden shift in the vessels course, an alarm started to go off indicating that the vessel’s warp drive was experiencing an unexpected failure. He hit the communications channel opening up the emergency frequency. “This is Shuttle Gambit, I’ve suffered a Warp Drive system’s failure. Navigational system has just failed. I’m off course. Requesting assistan..” he noted that the communications channel more pointedly the subspace transmitter failed. ‘So far so good!’ he thought to himself. Then the stars streaked and snapped back to pinpoints and the hulk of an old Constellation class starship appeared larger than life in the main viewscreen. He quickly activated the thrusters and avoided the collision, and immediately shut down his drive. Breathing a sigh of relief, he leaned back in his chair, and waited.

The shuttles sensors registered the small patrol craft leaving the main complex and heading his direction. The communications channel began to beep. He waited until they were nearby and then opened the channel. “Thank the maker!” he said looking at the woman who appeared on the communication channel. “I nearly ran into that ship coming out of warp. My drives are down.” He said.

“You’re in a restricted area, you need to leave.” She said.

He nodded. “Understood but my engines are out. If you scan my vessel you’ll see that this is the case.”

She looked off screen. “And your hull is polarized.” She said flatly. “Why is your hull polarized.” She asked.

“I had to have some place to dump all the excess energy. It should only be a few hours before it completely discharges. Your welcome to keep me company and make sure I don’t get into anything I’m not supposed to. Besides I cannot transport, and my sensors are limited in range.”
She looked away again and then nodded. “Very well. Let us know if we can be of assistance in some way.” She said and the screen went back to the view of the shipyard and the patrol craft coming around the edge of the Connie nearby. It’s weapons ports glowed, and his passive sensors detected a weapons lock. They apparently meant business.

“Status?” So’koth asked looking over at Nate.

“We passed through exactly at the same time and speed as the shuttle. We have not been detected. The Shuttle has the company of one of the facilities patrol craft.” Nate said looking up from his console.

“Alright, maintain low power mode. Start scanning the ships in our vicinity. Start sending away teams and beaming what we can on board.” He said.

“Chief, start with the absolute essentials first.” He said eyeing her from the doors of the turbolift. “Let’s do this as quickly as we can but as careful as we can without getting attention.”

“Yes father!” she said in a mocking tone.

He gave her a sharp glare. “Get the job done K’lyn.” He said

She disappeared into the lift. She had been moody about this idea since they finished the details and as they got closer and closer to this operation. He shook his head. “T’lok, how long do you figure we have before we’ll have to abandon this?” he asked.

“I estimate about two hours before the hull polarization effect has dissipated from the shuttle, about another twenty minutes to reinitialize the engines and navigational systems.” The Vulcan replied.

So’koth nodded. “Let’s hope we can get enough things together within that time frame. Perhaps we should set up more away teams?” he asked.
“We would risk the transporter effect being detected. We are taking a significant risk using the transporters and even then so the Cargo Transporters. But the dampening field we’ve set up around the ship should help distort it for at least a distance. If there are any sensor buoy’s or other security measures set up within the field it is likely we will be detected.” T’lok said.

He glanced over at Nate. “Keep an eye out for any surprises?”

Nate simply nodded. “On it boss.”

He turned back to the T’lok. “It’s worth the risk. We need this.”

The Vulcan’s eyebrow rose. “Indeed, we do need the parts and materials. However, I must point out that it is non-the-less against regulations.”
So’koth nodded. “Noted.” He stood and strolled over to his office. “I’ll be in my ready room, let me know if anything changes.” He said heading toward the doors.

“Something has changed.” Nate said flatly.

So’koth stopped and looked across at the Tactical Officer. “What’s wrong?”

Nate pointed to the viewscreen. There was a patrol ship on the viewscreen.

“They are hailing us.” Mia said.

“Damn!” So’koth said. “How did they detect us?” he asked crossing back to his chair.

“I have no idea.” Nate said.

So’koth let out a sigh. “On screen!” he said.

The image of a man appeared on the viewscreen, a Starfleet Lieutenant commander by his pips and part of the Engineering division. “This is a bit unexpected.” The man said flatly.

“Indeed. We thought we made it through the sensor net undetected.” So’koth said not trying to hid the fact that they snuck in.

“Your vessel looks a bit worse for wear Captain, run into some trouble?” He checked something off screen. “You just launched?” he said looking back to the screen. His eyebrow rising.

So’koth nodded. “Yes on both accounts. We were trying to think of a way we could recoup our material losses. Figured that the graveyard wouldn’t miss a few parts.”

The Engineer sat back. “Why not just turn back to Utopia Planitia?”

“We can’t.” So’koth said, and gestured. “This never happened.”

The man considered something and then turned off screen a moment.

“Were being scanned.” Mia said.

The man on the viewscreen looked back at the viewscreen. “I see. Well Captain, if we ever meet some day in the future I hope you’ll return the favor. I never saw you and you never saw me poking around out here either.” He said with a smile.

So’koth bowed his head. “Understood. Dark Angel out!” he said.

Mia turned. “They are moving away.”

“Mia, erase all logs pertaining to that contact.” So’koth said crossing the bridge to his ready room doors. He trolled the length of the room and stopped at the replicator. “Crackers, Ham, Turkey, and Salami with Cheddar, Swiss, and smoked gouda cheeses and ice water.” He said. It took but a moment for the replicator to return his request. He took the plate and settled down at his desk and took a moment to stack a few of the items together.

Taking up one of the many PADD’s on his desk he began reading over the service record of one of their currently officers. “Lieutenant Kestra Oliver.” He began reading through her Academy record, she showed exceptional aptitude for the Medical department. He was starting to think she should be part Klingon with all of her problems through the Academy. Reminded him of himself to a degree. Though most of her instructors cited that she was an amazing academic she was going to be a handful to her future Commanding Officers. She had made it to the rank of Lieutenant despite her varied issues. That was saying that she was trying to fit in, but all the issues she was having meant she was likely very misunderstood.

He tossed the PADD into another growing pile and blinked as he keyed it online. “Aj Halliwell, a Science Hologram?” he blinked a few times and read through the proposal. “An autonomous Science Department hologram. Self-aware. This has all the ingredients for disaster.” He tossed the padd aside. “Well get to testing you out before long.”

The door chime rang catching his attention. “Come!” he said.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

The Door’s parted to admit the ships Doctor Jack Clawson. The Caitian doctor was straight and to the point. He didn’t pull any punches from what So’koth had learned. The man had been one of the Utopia Planitia doctors before being assigned to the ship. “Hello Doctor how can I help you?”

“You can set the right freaking example and come do your physical instead of making me come chase you down!” he said, his voice had an edge of humor and sternness to it.

He nodded. “Fair enough, now would not be a good time.” He said. “We’ve got away teams off ship.”

The Catian nodded. “I know. Which is why I came to you instead! We’ll still have to do the stress test down there but the least I can do is get your scans, take blood, and give you your vaccines.”

So’koth nodded as the man pulled out the medical sensor from his tricorder. “Ok.” He nodded taking another bite of cracker, meat, and cheese. “What do you think of Lieutenant Oliver?” he asked

“Don’t ever call her that.” He said, he stared at him knowingly. “She absolutely hate’s that.”

“She hates her surname?” he asked an eyebrow rising.

He nodded knowingly. “Not sure rightly why, but she prefers Kes, or Kestra.” He said.

So’koth nodded. “Thanks. One mistake I can avoid. Or use to my advantage.” He looked up at the Caitian. “Have you read her file?”

“Nope. Didn’t want to judge her based on other people’s experiences. I will of course do so eventually but wanted to see what she was made of before passing some kind of judgement.” The doctor said. “I wouldn’t poke at her with her surname. Could get the both of into trouble.” he pressed one hypo to his neck and drew a vial of blood. “I’ll need to get you down to sickbay to check on your little helpers as well at some point to make sure they are working as intended.”

So’koth nodded. “Indeed.” He took another bite of his meat and cheese snack. “How’s our wounded?”

“Most of the wounded are either back on light duty or back on duty altogether. We’ve sent a few back to their quarters. Even some of the more serious are back in their own beds with house calls.” He said. “We took more casualties than were needed. Most could have been prevented had most of them worked together instead of climbing over one another to get out of the way of danger.”

“Yeah, that’s the same story I’m hearing from most of the senior staff.” So’koth said. “They were scared. We do have a lot of green collar officers on board. So that is to be expected. But they survived. Now we improve.”

“How are you so sure that this is what is going to happen?” Jake asked.

So’koth glanced up as the doctor administered a hypo with a battery of inoculations. “They want to live. They will learn.” He said. “Besides, no one has given them the chance I have. It’s my hope that they will see the opportunity to learn and grown on this ship. Help build their confidence and then they can go off into the universe and do the same with open eyes, open hearts, and open minds!”

“You dream a bit bigger than I think this crew is capable of.” Jake said flatly.

“Perhaps. But it’s more of a chance than Starfleet was willing to give some of them. “So’koth said.

The doctor nodded. “I’ll get these entered into your record. I’ll send you an appointment invite for the rest. Make sure you accept it or I’ll be up here to drag your ass down for it personally. Even if I have to involve a phaser.” He said sternly.

So’koth smiled, and chuckled. “Aye Captain!” he said offering a mocking salute.

Jakes salute was not as nice, but it made So’koth laugh again as the doctor departed. He took up his last cracker and finished it. “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.” He said. He stood and crossed the bridge and exited the room. He crossed the bridge over to where Nate stood. Some of the bridge crew had already rotated out for lunch. He glanced around and spotted Mia still at her station. “Our engagement with the Jem’Hadar, we took casualties due to breaches in the hull. Some losses were barely stopped by emergency force fields. How much power is allocated when those fields come online?” he asked.

Mia turned in her chair. “Well we had about thirty of them going by the end of the engagement. It was fairly significant.” She said. “I can get you some numbers if you’d like but it might take a little time?”

He shook his hand. “We could better spend that power elsewhere. Any ideas on how we could prevent those losses without the use of force fields?” he asked.

Nate’s eyebrow rose out of curiosity. “There is no other SOP on the subject.” He said.

“We could establish safe zones in the ship and reinforced them further than they already are. Galaxy class vessels have these zones built in for family’s during situations like this.” Mia asked. “It’s logical since we do have some families on board and with what you’ve said about our missions it seems like something we may very well need.”

He nodded. “Good idea. Draw up some plans!” he said.

“Water Tight doors.” Nate said.

“Were in space, not on a planet?” So’koth said, an eyebrow rising.

Nate frowned. “The concept,” he said. “We could have designated spaces along the framework and install space tight doors with built in airlock doors that would close during combat. We’d still be able to pass through using the airlock door but it would reduce casualties from decompression and prevent additional damage from the same.”

So’koth slowly nodded as the idea grew in his head. “I like it. Draw up a proposal.”

“It will take some time to install. I have something similar back on Pinnacle Station.” Nate said.

“Pinnacle station, I thought that thing exploded?” he asked.

Nate nodded. “Four did.”

“Wait, there is another?” he asked.

“Always have a backup plan!” Nate said with a sly grin.

So’koth regarded him for a long moment. “You’re a surprise at every turn aren’t you?”

Nate shrugged. “I had not considered it. Sure.” He said in agreeance.

“Captain, one of the away team’s is hailing.” Mia said.

“Put it up.” He said moving over toward his chair. K’lyn’s face suddenly appeared on the main viewscreen. “Hello Chief, how goes the scavenger hunt?” he asked.

“We found something on this old heap.” She said gesturing behind her into a deep cargo bay. It was full of materials.

“That’s an awfully lot of cargo for a sleeping starship.” He said, his curiosity was piqued.

“Indeed. If we can transport this aboard it will give is a decent amount of materials. But this looks like it belongs to someone. All of it has Starfleet Requisition tags on it. Mostly for Research and Development. We cannot get into or scan all the containers but they all indicate safe to transport.” She said.

“Let’s put a focus on that then, pull all the resources you need. We’re starting to run short on time.” He said looking at the chronometer.

“Aye, away team out!” She said, and the channel closed.

“Pay dirt!” he said settling into his chair. “Nate how long do we have until the shuttle is back online?” he asked.

“Looks like the process has sped up, he’s getting help from that patrol ship. We don’t have long at all.” He said.

“Educated guess?” He said turning to look.

“Twenty minutes.”

“Mia, start recalling the away teams. Have them tag everything they want to bring back to the ship. We’re going to have to risk our presence becoming known. Bring all the transporters online.” He hit the button for the intercom in engineering. “Bridge to Engineering!” he called.
“Martin here, go ahead!” Zach Martin one of the assistant engineers called back.

“Mr. Martin I’m going to need a disguise for our Warp Field. We need to be something big, but something civilian.” He checked the chronometer. “I need this done in eighteen minutes.”

“Aye sir, engineering out!” the young officer called back.

So’koth surveyed the bridge. “Jaykumba, please plot us a course back to the rendezvous but put us in position to retrieve all the items were here to get.” He said.

“Aye sir,” the helmsman said and began to maneuver the vessel into position. “Reorienting based on incoming sensor data.” He said.

“Sir, all the away teams aside from Chief K’lyn’s have returned to the ship. Transporter rooms are starting to beam back those items that are furthest away.”

“Thank you Mia. Get me the chief.” He looked to Nate. “Time?”

“The same, we have about ten minutes.” The Tactical officer said.

“Chief K’lyn’s on Captain.” Mia said.

“K’lyn, were running out of time.” He said urgently.

“I know, were hurrying. Were almost done.” She said.

“How much longer?” He asked.

“Done!” she proclaimed.

“Good,” he said. “Mia get them out of there and signal the transporter rooms to go for it. Full bore!” he said. The sound of the transporter effect could be heard over the open communications channel. “Mr. Jaykumba, prepare to warp us out of here.”

“Cargo Transporters energizing. Main Power is coming online.” Mia said.

“Sir our Warp Field is fluctuating.” Jaykumba said.

“Don’t panic, it’s probably Zach changing it to make us look different.” He said.

Jaykumba nodded. “Ah, yes I see.”

“Fifty percent!” Mia said.

“Two-minute warning boss!” Nate said.

T’lok appeared from the turbolift, crossing the bridge to take his position. “Our time table has pushed up?” he asked settling into his seat.
So’koth nodded. “Yeah. The patrol craft decided to help out Mr. Terry with his hull polarization problem.” He said.

Nate looked up from his console. “The remaining two patrol craft have just detached from the station and are heading our direction.”

“Mia?” So’koth asked.

“Almost done!” she said.

“Jay, standby! This is going to be close.” He said.

“Done!” Mia said.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“Go Jay, go!” he said, and the Stars streaked and the vessel launched itself at High Warp out of the yard with their bounty safe in the holds. “Did they get a good read on us?” he asked looking at Mia.

She shook her head. “No. We were shielded mostly by two vessels that were between us and them right when we went to Warp. They are not perusing.”

“Good job everyone.” He said. “Did Mr. Terry make it out?”

Nate nodded and gestured to the viewscreen as both the Dark Angel and the Shuttle dropped from Warp. “Still tied into our navigational system.”
“Jaykumba disengage that connection and have him dock so we can move on.” So’koth said. “Let’s get to those repairs.”

K’lyn walked into So’koth’s ready room and dropped heavily into the chair across from him. “I hate you!” she said flatly.
“I’m not here to be liked Chief.” He said with a smile.

“You’re doing a good job then.” She said slumping in the chair. “Working eighteen hour days sucks.” She said.

“This probably won’t be the last time.” He said.

She frowned and looked up at him. “How does Starfleet expect that we will succeed without proper yard periods and supplies?” she asked.
He sighed. “You’re not the first to ask me this question today.” He said. “I’m going to be honest with you most of all on this subject. Normally I wouldn’t say this, but I honestly do not know. This was an off the wall idea that I had to borrow parts from the starship graveyard. We won’t have that opportunity again I can almost guarantee it. We’ll have to find them where we can. Even if we have to linger on the battlefield to salvage.” He said.

“Salvage?” she looked at him and shook his head. “Most of the time salvage isn’t worth spit!”

“Raw Materials are better than none!” he said.

“But replicators are only so quick.” She said shaking her head. “We will burn those out.”

“Were going to have to find a way to make those last as long as we can, find better ways to refine things. Store parts. Whatever it takes K’lyn.”
“Whatever it takes?” she scoffed. “It’s going to take an Army of engineers. Part’s we don’t have. Storage we don’t have to store that many parts.”
“We can convert one of the cargo bays, find a way to extend our cargo capacity.” He said.

“If we have to reduce the crew quarter’s size down a few and bunk more together to make things work we will do it.” He sat back in his chair and sighed. “I don’t have all the answers. We’re going to have to work together and brainstorm these things out. We’ve got a lot of brilliant minds on board. Encourage them to think outside the box.” He said.

She nodded. “Yeah, we do have that going for us at least. So this idea that Nate had about installing ‘space tight doors’, you asked my opinion. I like it, the problem is it’s going to be time consuming and resource intensive.”

“How can we get them in place sooner rather than later?” he asked.

“Well putting them in place shouldn’t take that long honestly. Replicating the parts, putting them together, that’s going to take time.’ She said.
“What if we were to put them in place and install the actual mechanisms later? Make them sealed now and in place.” He asked.

“It will still take time but that will take less. Getting the mechanism’s in place won’t be easy. Plus, were going to have to modify the structural framework, do some reinforcing to ensure that it won’t weaken. There are a lot of things we can start doing now to be ready for these when we get to that point. We may need to install them in larger sections and then add more later.” He said seeming to be lost in her own thoughts. “It’s a genius idea. Why ships weren’t equipped with these now is beyond me.” She said.

“Inconvenient. Those hatches will have to be manually opened and closed to ensure that someone does not breach a section of the ship and if they do we can go after who done it.” He said. “Why someone would open the door to space is beyond me. But it’s a good safety gap, and less mechanisms that have to be replicated and installed over time.”

“What about these spaces that Mia wants to create on the ship?” she asked tossing a PADD on his desk. “I like the concept, but I’m not sure if it’s practical?”

“The ejection thing?” he asked picking up the padd.

“Yeah, the ejection thing. You approved this.” She asked staring across the desk at him.

He nodded. “Yes, I think it’s a great idea. However impractical it might seem. We can start on making them safe zones, and work on the ejection and escape pod features at a later time.” He said. “One step at a time.”

“This will take forever.” She said, a bit of irritation filtering into his voice.

He nodded again. “Maybe so, but you’ve got a lot of volunteers willing to help however they can. Donate time and such. People want to make sure their families are safe. Think about it, if you had children how would you safeguard them?”

“I wouldn’t have them on this death trap!” she said.

He chuckled. “Do you think you could spend that long out in the galaxy without children? Without your spouse?” he asked.

She shook her head. “That’s all not very likely but I don’t know. I cannot fairly answer this question. Only someone with a family could. So I suppose if there has been enough call for it then we should do it. But I’m not sure how.”

“Well right now you’re probably tired and we have other concerns we need to tackle. I would put a small engineering team to start assembling materials and setting up designs. Figuring out how to make it all fit together first. One step at a time.” He said.

She nodded this time. “That’s about all we can do right now is plan and prep. I’ll put Zach on it.” She said. “I’ve got too many concerns of my own to worry about.” She tossed another Padd on the desk. “Starfleet cut my crew again.” She said pointing. “I cannot run an engine room with a minimal staff in the conditions that are being suggested here.”

“I know, I’m working on it.” He said.

She nodded. “Work harder, I need people to do these things and keep your ship running So’koth.” She said flatly standing. “These things would be nice to have but we won’t get far and we’ll lose more people if we do not get a full crew aboard this ship. My engineers are already working till exhaustion. We’re going to burn out more than the ship if we don’t get more crew.”

“I know.” He said glancing at the new Padd. She was already disappearing out of the door to his office waving over her head as she went. He glanced up at the time. It was already growing late. He hit the activation key on his desktop computer and keyed in a communications frequency and sent the hail over the secure channel, and waited.

Admiral Roteger’s face appeared on the viewscreen. “So’koth do you know what time it is?” he asked pulling a robe around him. “Jesus man you look like you’ve not slept in days!”

He nodded. “Nearly.”

“Well what can I do for you?” the Admiral asked.

“My crew sir. I made a deal to take the Misfits.” He started.

“Right. Are you asking to back out of that deal already?” the Admiral looked astonished. “That’s not like you.”

“NO. Not at all. But the continuous cuts to my crew are not helping for both Moral and for ensuring that my ship is going to run. I left dry dock with about two thirds of my crew. Each time I check or hear back from my Command Staff there are more cuts. At this rate I’m looking at about twenty new incomings. That puts my crew at just under four hundred on a ship that is intended to be run with five hundred.” He leaned back in his chair. “I’m always up to the challenge, you know this. But this isn’t a challenge, this is blatant sabotage.” He said.

The Admiral looked off screen a moment and then seemed to press a few buttons on his own computer console. The encryption level suddenly changed on the channel bumping up higher. “It is. You know it is and you knew when you took this job and made that deal with everyone else that Admiral Dwain was going to do this to you. This is his influence within the fleet So’koth. You knew what kind of man he was. He knew you would do it.” The admiral said.

“And you knew?” he asked.

The Admiral Nodded. “Because I knew you could handle it, and would be resourceful. That stunt you pulled at Antares for example.”

“What?” he asked and looked as if he’d just been slapped.

The admiral Smiled. “A report came back to me here you know since I’m in charge of that yard in addition to Utopia Planitia. When I saw the video logs of the Shuttle pilot I knew exactly what this was. It got buried by the way. They couldn’t trace the Warp Signature back to a specific source. Mighty fine bit of Engineering.”

So’koth shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about Admiral.”

“So what are you going to do now?” the Admiral asked.

“Abduct some crew?” So’koth let out a hearty chuckle. “We’ll have to make do. If there is anything you can do to help I would appreciate it.”

The Admiral nodded. “Keep fighting the good fight So’koth. The time’s ahead will be tough. I will see what I can do about augmenting your supply chain as well to get you additional parts and raw materials as I think you’re going to need them. “

“Thanks boss.” He said. “Sorry to wake you.”

“No worries, go get some sleep. That is an order!” the elder man said.

He nodded as the screen went black, So’koth sat there for a long moment pondering Dwain’s influence and what he was going to have to do to get around that. That man continued to meddle in his affairs. Even subtly this time he was working to sabotage him. He honestly should have expected it.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“The Chief’s knock”

So’koth stood next to his chair on the bridge, it was hard to believe that it had already been nearly two weeks since they left dry dock. The ship was back at least running decently at the moment. All of the hull breaches in the recent engagement had been patched and reinforced. The intention was to lay over at Deep Space Nine for about a week to finish repairs on the hull. They had fabricated all the necessary repair components and were ready to do the job.

“Captain, we are secure from Warp and are closing on DS9.” Van called out drawing his attention from the chair.

“Very good, slow to half impulse once you hit the ten thousand kilometer mark. Mia, can you get me the station?”

“Aye, opening hailing frequencies” she said.

“This is Captain So’koth Qul’tuq of the USS Dark Angel, requesting permission to dock for crew transfer, re-supply and repair?” he asked.

The viewscreen came alive to show a Bajorian woman in a traditional Bajorian military officer’s uniform. “This is Major Kira, Welcome Dark Angel, permission to dock granted upper pylon two. How long will you be with us?”

“About seven days at the most, we’ll have to resume our patrol route by then, hopefully our repairs will be completed.” He said.

She nodded. “Very well, have your chief engineer contact Chief O”Brien he might be able to help you with that. Deep Space Nine out!” she said, and the transmission abruptly ended.

“Friendly.” Nate said.

So’koth nodded. “Indeed. She’s good at her job from what I hear but rough around the edges. An occupation will do that to a person.” He said.
Nate nodded. “Indeed.”

“T’lok, set up shore leave rotations for the crew. Let’s give each of them a day liberty I think everyone’s earned at least that.” He said nodding to the Commander.

“Aye sir,” he stood and pulled out a padd. “I already anticipated your request.” He said holding out the padd.

So’koth regarded the man and took the PADD. “Thank you Mr. T’lok.” He glanced over the names and noted that the majority of the senior staff was in the first rotation out. All accept T’lok of course. He wasn’t on any of the rotations. He looked at his first officer a bit sternly. “You forgot yourself Mr. T’lok.”

“I do not require shore leave. My talents would be best served aboard the ship.” T’lok responded.

So’koth nodded. “That may be, but I want you off the ship for at least half a day.”

“Aye sir.” He said and took the PADD that was being offered back to him.

He turned back to the viewscreen and noted the station was very close now. “Alright Mr. Terry, nice and gentle we don’t want to upset our hosts by scratching the paint.” He said watching as the massive station loomed out of sight on the screen as they moved underneath. He looked up through the transparent aluminum windows and could see the station without the need of the sensor enhanced viewscreen. He admired the sculpture like features of the station. He had never been a fan of Cardassian art but this station was certainly that.

“Hard dock achieved, moorings engaged. Securing from flight.” Van said as he began shutting down the ships engines and securing the ships navigational systems.”

“Good job Mr. Terry.” He glanced around. “Enjoy your shore leave!” he said as he gave T’lok a nod and headed for the turbolift himself. The ride down to his quarters was short, he stopped entering the code to his room just as a finger swung around in front of him pointing accusingly at him.

“Hello Chief” he said.

“Shore leave?” she growled.

He nodded. “Yes, even you need leave!”

“I don’t have time for leave!” she said. “This ship will never get fixed if I take leave!”

“Actually I don’t think it will get fixed efficiently if you don’t. You’re on the verge of exploding. I’ve gotten a lot of complaints from your staff that you’ve been getting increasingly short with them. That you’re getting just as short with just about everyone else, especially those that try and help.” He said leaning back against the door jam.

“So?” she said sharply.

“You’re taking a day’s shore leave. Go find something fun to do to relieve your stress chief. That’s an order.” His words came out sharp causing her to recoil a step. “I cannot have my chief engineer on the verge of a violent episode because she’s tired, cranky, and overworked. Take the time and go rest. Sleep the entire day. Whatever floats your boat chief.”

“Floats my boat?” she asked, confusion spreading across her face.

“Never mind. Just go find something fun to do. Relieve some stress!” he said and turned and punched in the code to his room. He stepped inside, and turned around. She was staring at him intently. “Good day chief.” He said and hit the button to cut off any further argument. He started walking away but stopped and laughed under his breath hearing her bounce her fist off his door a couple of times before stomping away.

He grinned and crossed his room into the bedroom and dropped onto his bed laying across it for a long moment. The bed suddenly was vibrating, as was the wall. He realized that it got louder and louder. She apparently decided that listening to Klingon Opera as loud as possible would do the trick. He glanced back at the wall just as a picture fell off and crashed to the ground. He sighed. “Computer book me a room on the station for the night.” He said. The computer beeped and acknowledged his request.

He stood and grabbed his go bag and was out the door a few moments later. He made his way through the ship and across the airlock into the station. He took the lift to the stations promenade figuring on sampling some local cuisine. He stepped off the lift with his bag over his shoulder. The business center of the station was bustling with activity. He pushed his way into the crowd and stopped at a small shop with only a handful of tables. He quickly identified it as a Bajoran food establishment and sat down.

“Hello, you must be just arriving?” A young woman dressed in vibrant colors asked as she came to stand across from him.

He nodded. “Yes, visiting for a few days, was given a day liberty pass.” He glanced around. “Is it always this busy?”

She nodded. “Yes, most of the time. Well, have you ever had Bajoran food before?” she asked holding out a menu.

He shook his head. “No, never had the pleasure.” He glanced over the menu. “What would you recommend?”

“Hasperat, Ratamba Stew, the Kava juice is really good this time of year. Mapa Bread is a favorite.” She said.

He nodded. “Hasparat, the Kava Juice and Mapa bread sounds good. Let’s go with that!” he said and sat back handing her the menu.

She smiled, and disappeared back into the back of the small restaurant. He took a moment to take it all in the site and smells of the place were pretty intense by some standards. He liked the background noise. After spending a lot of time on wide open stations as were most Federation Starbase’s, this was a refreshing change of pace. This place was functional, and barely large enough to handle some of the foot traffic.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

Nate strolled into the Dark Angel’s lounge, it had colloquially become known as the ‘Misfits lounge’. T’lok had taken to stationing two members of the security team at the lounge full time knowing that the majority of the crew had a propensity for violence when partaking upon bar like activities. Unlike most vessels this one served real alcohol more often than not. Though restrictions were put on how much could be given out at any given time. Duty rosters were made available to Kitty to help prevent members of the crew from drinking on duty. She didn’t have much to do but it was nice to have a place to call home considering she’d lost hers on the station.

“Well look at who the cat dragged in. Thought I might never see you.” She said as he came to settle on a barstool. She had been bartering with whomever she could to secure enough supplies to retrofit the bar to look a specific way. They kept it dark in half the place, walled off part of the lounge to accommodate some private party rooms to help the rowdier guests not to disrupt the more family oriented environment.

Nate smiled as he set his hat aside. The lounge was a ghost town as most of the crew was either on duty or rotated ashore. “Sorry, it’s been busy.” He said.

“Busy?” she eyed him. “You actually working?”

He nodded. “Yeah.”

“You sick?” she asked.

He shook his head, “No, why?”

“I’ve not known you to be so serious about a job in a long, long time.” She said leaning back while retrieving a glass. She set it down in front of him and pulled out an unmarked bottle.

“This is different.” He said.

“What do you mean?” she poured him a glass of the strong smelling liquid.

He shrugged. “I’m not sure, but something is just different. You ever been in a place that just felt right but you couldn’t explain it?” he asked.
She shook her head. “Nope.”

“You don’t feel it here?” he asked. “How different it is, the people, the environment. This guy seems to really care about his crew. Think about it, when’s the last time you knew a Starfleet Captain who didn’t throw his junk around and expect people to just jump to it regardless of how they feel? I mean he came out and flat told the entire crew were underdogs, that to survive this were going to have to work together and then he proved it.” He took the drink and emptied the glass.

She poured him another. “Yeah, I guess I did notice that.”

“He gave you a job with very little restrictions here on the ship.” He lifted the glass again. “This is different.” He said, and took a smaller drink from the glass.

“You like this guy?” she asked.

He nodded. “Yeah, I think I could do a lot of good here.”

“Or a lot of bad.” She said flatly. “Especially if your brother shows up.”

Nate’s attitude suddenly shifted and his voice took on a more somber tone. “Yeah. But I think that they could handle it.”

“Let’s just hope he stays out of everyone’s hair. That bastard is always popping up when you least expect it.” She said.

Nate nodded knowingly. “Yes he does.”

“You going to tell him?” Kitty asked.

He seemed to ponder that for a long moment. “Yes.”

“When?” she asked.

“When the time is right of course. Just not right now. He’s got enough on his mind. Though I might talk to him about PS5 a bit more in detail.” Nate said leaning forward he took another drink from the glass.

“You sure he won’t give that up?” she asked.

“As far as Starfleet is concerned PS4 is gone, PS5 no one knows about. Well accept for him. I kind of let that out of the bag in a conversation earlier. But at some point when it’s necessary I’ll avail him of its resources. I want to see if this plays out how I expect.” He shifted on his stool. “Wouldn’t be the first time a Commanding Officer lost my trust.”

She nodded. “Well I’m content with my little watering hole. He’s given me pretty much run of the mill aside from specific rules which are practical.”

“Place is looking nice. I like how you’ve got the whole light side, dark side thing going.” He said gesturing with his glass. “Fitting for this crew.”
She nodded. “Yeah I’m starting to get that. A lot of people living on both sides or toeing the line. Where do you suppose he sits?” she asked.

“Pretty sure he’s on the line, part of that grey which means this could be a place I can thrive and do the best. Better than being stuffed away in a subspace relay station for all eternity. Or whatever eternity is to most humans. How about you, you going to tell him about you?”

She shook her head. “No. I don’t want him getting any ideas either way.”

He nodded. “He will figure it out.”

She gave him one of those ‘Oh really’ looks and smiled. “Ok, put your money where your mouth is.” She said.

He leaned back in his chair again. “Alright, what do you want?” he asked.

“One of those cases of that crazy plumb tasting stuff.” She said.

He nodded. “A case of Shiskey!”

She blinked. “Really? An entire case? You know how hard that stuff is to make?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Nope. Do you know how hard it is to make that plumb tasting stuff?”

She smiled. “Deal!” she held a hand out and they shook. She pointed at him. “You cannot tell him, or hint at it!”

He laughed. “I would never!”

“Yes you would!” she said sternly and headed off into the back of the bar to pull something.

Nate grinned to himself. He was certain his intuition about So’koth was right, he would be a case richer, and she would still get her case of plumb because that was the kind of guy he was. He pulled back his sleeve and tapped into his write computer the order to have it sent. Later that evening he would have the case sitting in his quarters.

Seven days was not a long time in the grand scheme of things when you’re working yourself to the bone. It took the better part of the seven days to repair the hull damage both inside and out. But the hull looked as natural as possible with the new hull plates put in place. The structural damage was what took the longest but they managed that in half the time. The rest of the cosmetic and internal workings would have to be added while they were under way again. So’koth strolled out onto the bridge and took stock of the officers present. “T’lok has our crew reported aboard?” he asked approaching his chair.

The Commander nodded. “Yes Captain, all crew present and accounted for.”

“A miracle.” He said.

T’lok looked up from his console his eyebrow raised out of curiosity. “A Miracle sir?”

So’koth looked over at his first officer. “Yes Mr. T’lok. Despite our first two weeks they all didn’t jump ship. Not a one.”

“You had doubts?” T’lok asked.

He nodded. “A few. But I’m glad I was wrong. Shall we get under way? There is a lot of area to patrol.”

“Aye sir. Mr. Terry, engage running lights. Thrusters to stations keeping.” His first offer said turning his attention towards the helmsman.

“Aye, thrusters to stations keeping, engaging running lights.” Van Terry said.

“Mia get me operations please.” So’koth said.

“Operations has given us permission to depart they regret being unable to send us off as they are in a staff meeting.” Mia said looking over her shoulder.

“Very well button her up, clear moorings.” He said.

She nodded. “Aye sir. Moorings clear,”

“Van take us out, you should have the coordinates for our patrol route in the system.”

The helmsman nodded. “Aye sir, course laid in.”

“Engage!” So’koth said and watched as the station fell away and the stars dominated the viewscreen. They slowly rotated and the image of Bajor appeared a long way’s away but it was a glowing orb that passed by on the viewscreen, the stars elongated and turned to streaks as the vessel shot to warp and into subspace. So’koth slapped his knees and rose form his chair. “I’ll be in my ready room for the time being going over the new transfers. Let’s try not to blow up the ship for the chief’s sanity.” He said walking across the bridge.

So’koth settled down at his desk, and picked up one of the many PADD’s on it. He had three mountains going. One for those new incoming officers that he had yet to peruse and those outgoing that he had to make notations for Starfleet’s office of personnel which was relatively small and those who’s files he already dealt with. Leaning back he began to read the information on this one, Andy Hanamore was a rather young officer. Right out of the Academy his record showed that he was one of those by the book hard core types, he was going to have to learn to fit in or he would not have a great time on this ship.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

K’lyn stepped off the turbolift with a growl which caught everyone on the bridge’s attention. She looked around. “Where is he!” she said through clenched teeth.

Nate pointed towards the ready room doors. He seemed to perk up at the situation.

“The Captain is in his ready room.” T’lok said.

She strolled over to the doors to the ready room and began pounding on the doors with her hands, growling.

‘Thump’

So’koth blinked looking towards his door.

‘Thump, thump’.

He blinked again slowly standing. He wasn’t certain but that sounded like someone was pounding on his doors.

“Crack, crack, crack.’ This time it was louder. Much louder, this time it wounded like a spanner. And a voice followed. That of his chief engineer. “So’koth! You bastard!” she yelled through the door.

Slowly a frown spread across his lips. Slowly he walked over to the door and stopped as the banging continued.

“You cannot hide from me forever!” she shouted. “You said you would work on my crew.” She hit the door several more times.

He waited until the loud banging stopped and hit the release on the door. He reached out quickly and grabbed K’lyn by the front of her uniform pulling her off balance into the room, hit the latch and lock buttons on the door and lifted her off her feet and planted her back into the door. “At Ease!” he yelled.

She raised the spanner in her hand out of reflex but with a slap of the wrist he sent it clattering across the room. “You promised!” she breathed through her teeth.

“Are you finished?” he asked.

“No!” she squirmed. “I am not. You promised me crew!” she yelled and struck him suddenly across the face.

He pushed her into the door again as if to prove a point. “NO, I promised you I would try.” He let her go allowing her to drop to her feet. “I did try!”
“Not good enough!” She shouted. “Three more, seriously!” she yelled.

“Stop yelling!” he shouted back at her. “You’re not the only one working with less staff. You’re not the only one who lost out on transfer’s here. So do not think that your department is the only one suffering!” he snapped back, turning on his heels. He moved quickly toward her causing her to back up against the doors again banging into them. “You are better than this! Stop your complaining and learn to work with what you have!” he said his finger bouncing off her shoulder. “You can do this; I know your capable. I’ve given you the tools, use them!”

“You’ve given me nothing!” she shouted.

He pointed again and stopped. “Perhaps your scared? Frightened that you cannot do the job you’ve been tasked with. But I know differently.” He said, his voice going lower.

“What am I supposed to do with two thirds of a staff?” she asked, her voice following his.

“The best you can!” he said. “I understand; I’ve been there before. We don’t have a choice, this is war. People are assigned how they are assigned. We’re not getting more than what Starfleet is willing to send us until we prove ourselves!”

She was about to say something then stopped. “Prove ourselves?” she sighed.

“It’s a challenge. One we will be given time and time again. Don’t you understand?” He walked away putting distance between himself and her. “We will constantly have to prove ourselves. I cannot do it without you. You’re the best damn engineer I know next to me, and I know you can do this. Stop fighting it and find a way to work with it.”

She stared at him for a long moment. “This is unfair.”

He sighed. “Yes it is!”

“Why, didn’t we prove what we could do what that small group of ships we destroyed?” she asked. “We nearly paid for it with our own lives.”

“No, we didn’t!”

“Why the hell not? She asked.

“Because were misfits and they believe we will fail. Why put materials and manpower into something that is going to fail?” he asked.

She seemed to sober up suddenly, standing there staring at him as if some switch had been thrown and everything suddenly made sense. “I’m sorry.” She said.

“Dismissed!” he said pointing toward the door.

She nodded and turned and hit the buttons to release the door, she was greeted by four security members and a Medical staff and both T’lok and Nate standing behind them. She gave them a look that could melt Duranium and then pushed past them to the turbolift.

So’koth stood there staring at the group.

“We thought you might need back up Captain.” Nate said.

T’lok, looked at Nate briefly and then at him. “It was the logical course of action. Are you injured Captain?”

So’koth moved around his desk and hit a button under it and snapped the doors shut. He sat there for a moment and took a deep breath. “This is going to be fun!” he smiled.
SokothQultuq
Henchman

Post by SokothQultuq »

“Fate”

“Things catch up with us in the end.” So’koth said taking a drink of his water. He glances out looking into the distance at the star at the center of the sphere. “I suppose just like me ending up here.”

“What happened to your family?” Enara asked.

He nodded. “Fate, as with all things they die or move on.” His eyes fell to his feet, he felt suddenly overcome with sorrow. “My wife passed away several years ago. Lived to almost one hundred fifty. My children have children and they are starting to get to the age where they are going to have children.” He smirked. “But they distanced themselves from me long ago.”

“How does that make you feel?” Enara asked.

He took a long moment to truly search his feelings for this answer. “Lonely.” He simply said.

“Have you tried to reconnect?” she asked.

“Many times, but usually it’s a single communique and then nothing for months and sometimes years. I let my job get in the way of spending quality time with them. And then even when I did retire one of the few times it just wasn’t enough. Too soon, too late.” He sat forward in his chair. He could feel the emotions building up inside him. “I miss them so much.”

“You’ve been in pain for a long time?”

He nodded. “Ever since my wife’s condition grew worse and worse. When we finally parted ways. I died again.” He met her eyes. “I could feel her all the way up to the day she died. It was such a profound feeling as that connection we had that was so strong faded, and then suddenly wasn’t there anymore.”

“Are you ready to move on?” she asked.

He blinked. “What do you mean?”

“Do you think that your life has come full circle, that you’ve done all you can for humanity? That you’re ready to pass on and move on to whatever’s next? You’ve been out pushing the limits for a long time now. It’s almost like you’re looking for death.” She asked.

The question was sobering, he considered her words and the truth they seemed to convey. Was he looking for his death? “Perhaps, I never really thought about it. I was more intent on burring myself in my work more than ever. It’s all I have these days.”

“What if there was more? What if you could be offered a comfortable place to stay and live out the rest of your day’s and that you could choose when that day would come?” she asked.

He blinked and sat back in the chair. “I don’t feel like I’m meant to pass on into the next life. For better or worse I’m here to do what I’m here to do. When Kahless is ready to call me home he will.”

She nodded. “Even given the opportunity to end your loneliness, and suffering?

He nodded sagely. “Yes. Even at the expense of loneliness and suffering. I believe were all put into this world for a reason. But...” he hesitated a moment thinking. “It wouldn’t be bad to take a break.” He said.

“Would you like to stay with us?” she asked.

He nodded. “As long as I could be allowed to leave when I was ready, then yes. I think I would like that.”

“Your crew would not know, they would have to consider you lost.” She said. “We don’t believe your people are ready yet to know of our existence. Your almost there, but not yet ready.” She said with a half-smile.

“May I tell my crew?” he asked.

She nodded. “Yes, that would help them move on and stop trying to fight us.”

“That’s kind of how we are when you cage us against our will.” He said with a bit of a chuckle. “My first officer would be fine. Jenny Yen.” He said.
Enara nodded. “Alright. I’ll leave you to say your goodbye.” She said and stood and started walking toward the exit.

A column of white light appeared and his first officer was standing there a little dazed and confused. He held up a hand. “It’s alright Jenny.” He said.

“What’s going on, where are we?” she asked.

“I’m afraid I cannot say. Have they been treating you well?” he asked her looking for any signs of mistreatment.

“No, they took care of our wounded. They gave us a place to stay kind of like this one. But they singled you out. We thought you were dead.” She said. “I’m glad the scuttlebutt was wrong.”

He nodded. “Me too. They are going to release you back to the ship and send you on your way.” He said. “It has been my pleasure serving with you Jenny, you’ve grown a lot. The ship is yours.”

“You’re not coming back with us?”

He shook his head. “No. I’m going to stay here for the time being, when the time is right I’ll be back.” He said with a reassuring smile. “Take care of that ship and our crew. I know you’re going to do great things.”

She nodded. “Aye Sir.” She held a hand out. “Goodbye So’koth.”

“Goodbye Captain Yen.” He shook her hand firmly, then she hugged him.

A column of white light engulfed her and she was gone. He craned his head up towards where his people where and watched as the same white flashes blinked within the compound his people were in and then his vessel which was hanging in the distance powered up, and in a similar fashion was gone. It was if it was never there. Whisked away by light. He felt a particular sadness come over him as he realized that this was going to be his home for a long time. When he was needed again he would return to Starfleet, but this was another place to explore and discover. The possibilities ahead of him were seemingly endless. A new undiscovered country. He had spent nearly one hundred and seventy-seven years of his life in and out of Starfleet. For once, he wasn’t sad about leaving. He had no regrets aside from the feeling of pride in his first officer taking up where he was leaving off, that he was leaving the fleet at a time of peace that he had helped establish. After so many years of war and skirmishes, it was a relief. But for now it was time that the new generation made their mark. “Goodbye.” He whispered.

The End

Return to “Creative Writing, Co-Op Writing, Poetry & More...”