people who enjoy food (host/deads/nons)
33%

Total votes: 12
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 176

Re: Monopoly Mafia [Day 0]

Post by thellama73 »

Metalmarsh89 wrote: This is an excellent strategy. I agree that not many people would go along with the idea of NOT sending search actions in. Sure it's ideal, but who's gonna prove that you did or didn't search and find a partner?
Prisoner's dilemma. It'll never work. While it's in the group's interest for us all to remain civvies, it's in the individual's interest to try to obtain BTSC.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 51

Post by zeek »

Checking in. How much money do we start with? $1500?
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 183
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

$1000

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Let's say I'm Baltic Ave. Let's further say llama lands on and buys Mediterranean Ave, my partner. In the night I find Mediterranean, snowy. Now, llama's got the card but Snowy is the card. Can snowy and I still put up houses? What are the consequences of llama having the card?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 42

Post by FZ. »

juliets wrote:$1000

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Let's say I'm Baltic Ave. Let's further say llama lands on and buys Mediterranean Ave, my partner. In the night I find Mediterranean, snowy. Now, llama's got the card but Snowy is the card. Can snowy and I still put up houses? What are the consequences of llama having the card?
I thought only cards of dead people could be bought. No?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Oh I see - thats the only way to acquire properties. I've got the game in my head where you land on a property and buy it if you want it. THanks FZ.!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I shouldnt say only way because people could want to trade or put a property up for sale, except their original property, and I think thats allowed too.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

juliets wrote:I shouldnt say only way because people could want to trade or put a property up for sale, except their original property, and I think thats allowed too.
Luckily, you do not pay rent unless there is a hotel. So if there are houses or nothing, you are in the clear.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

So we use our money for powers and/or bidding on dead players cards? Okay this isn't as confusing as I thought :)
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

EBWOP: until the paying rent comes into play
keys56000000000
The Mark
Posts in topic: 61

Post by keys56000000000 »

So if Llama is right, what incentives, if any, do we have as civilians to work together? Is it mafia vs civs or mafia vs potential mafia?

I'm not convinced that Llama is right, yet. Llama, what incentive do we have to search for teammates? Once you're in a BTSC set, you're playing against everyone. You're going to have to survive every other player. Seems like when you are in a set, your overall chances of winning drop significantly. Especially those 2-player sets. Is there really any reason why we can't stick together as loose civilians? Even if some civs do search, and find their partners, we'd still have the advantage over them. At least that's how it seems to me at this early juncture.
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 176

Post by thellama73 »

keys56000000000 wrote:So if Llama is right, what incentives, if any, do we have as civilians to work together? Is it mafia vs civs or mafia vs potential mafia?

I'm not convinced that Llama is right, yet. Llama, what incentive do we have to search for teammates? Once you're in a BTSC set, you're playing against everyone. You're going to have to survive every other player. Seems like when you are in a set, your overall chances of winning drop significantly. Especially those 2-player sets. Is there really any reason why we can't stick together as loose civilians? Even if some civs do search, and find their partners, we'd still have the advantage over them. At least that's how it seems to me at this early juncture.
The individuals have an incentive to acquire BTSC because no one wants to be stuck as the one team that doesn't get it if everyone else does.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

Let's just aim for a civ, any civ, win. Even if we all get into sets the mafia are the biggest threat, after they're gone it can be every man for themselves. Or their set.
keys56000000000
The Mark

thellama73 wrote:
keys56000000000 wrote:So if Llama is right, what incentives, if any, do we have as civilians to work together? Is it mafia vs civs or mafia vs potential mafia?

The individuals have an incentive to acquire BTSC because no one wants to be stuck as the one team that doesn't get it if everyone else does.
I hear that, but you're assuming everyone will find their partners. You'd have to be pretty lucky to complete your set any time soon. Chances are, most people will never complete their set. Were I to complete my set, it would seem much more reasonable to assume that most, if not all other civilians were unable to find their sets and ergo are more people I have to survive, lessening my chances of victory.

I guess it's up to the indicidual players, but I myself am cautioning against looking for your partner/s. Sure you get stuff for finding them, but you will find yourself in a little team against everybody. Wouldn't it be better to be in a loose-knit team that has the overwhelming numerical advantage? That's what I'm going for.
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Degobunny
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Degobunny »

I can tell this is going to be complicated game. So are we just checking in day 0 and asking for clarification on the rules?
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 42

Post by FZ. »

Maybe the question we should ask ourselves is what will the mafia gain the most from and consider that. Trouble is, I'm too tired to think about this now...

Boo, Are we even allowed to not send in a name of a player or will there be penalty for those who don't do it?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 304
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Degobunny wrote:I can tell this is going to be complicated game. So are we just checking in day 0 and asking for clarification on the rules?
That is what I have done so far. You are welcome to launch into some sort of accusation if you wish!

We are also instructed to PM the host our favourite song/quote/movie/other about Capitalism.
Degobunny

Post by Degobunny »

I think we should look our partners. Not looking for your partners gives the mafia the advantage. The way I understand is if multiple groups find there partners the group's can join together and then overwhelm the mafia? I am hoping I read the rules right on that.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ash, I thought that was the part he took out. But i could be mistaken.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ash see below -
boo wrote:You can ignore old thread stuff about monopolies, I changed needing a full side to get money from the player to just needing a hotel to do the same. However, owning a full side between yourself and BTSC partners will have some potential benefits through the use of powers (if you get the necessary powers).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
keys56000000000
The Mark

Degobunny wrote:I think we should look our partners. Not looking for your partners gives the mafia the advantage. The way I understand is if multiple groups find there partners the group's can join together and then overwhelm the mafia? I am hoping I read the rules right on that.
I don't think the groups can join together. In fact it seems the groups would face each other. If you form a group, you are basically forming your own mafia team. So, rather than taking away the advantage from the mafia, you are forming your own smaller, presumably weaker mafia team. I've yet to see exactly what advantage there is to be had from forming a BTSC set.
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 350
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Yay game! Still need to look over all the mechanics to see what I think about the BTSC vs non-BTSC. But from past experience it would seem that BTSC is always an advantage worth pursuing. Especially when we're trying to find baddies, having BTSC members makes it easier to find those baddie needles in the haystack.

Linki. Especially if having a monopoly gives you extra powers it seems worth it. But I agree we should all be trying to work together as much as we can.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 350
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

@boo:

You said we won't get a PM if our check fails... Will we get a PM if we're blocked so thAt we know to possibly check that person in the future?
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Hello, good people! I will do my best to keep up with this game better than DW (especially since it definitely seems to take a lot more strategy). I am epically bad at Monopoly (I always spent all my damned money on everything and had nothing to buy houses/hotels with in the end), but maybe I'll be better via mafia :biggrin:
Boogs wrote:Yay! I want to be the kitty token. Now let's roll them dice! Kitty needs a new can of tuna!
I love your kitty posts oh so much.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Degobunny

Post by Degobunny »

juliets wrote:Ash, I thought that was the part he took out. But i could be mistaken.
Oh okay I looked at the old rules then.
Degobunny

Post by Degobunny »

Okay I am having trouble posting now. I was trying to respond that the advantage of finding your partner would be building a monopoly and having more money for powers.
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 68

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Turnip Head wrote:@boo:

You said we won't get a PM if our check fails... Will we get a PM if we're blocked so thAt we know to possibly check that person in the future?
This is a good question I was wondering the same thing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 123
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

FZ. wrote:Maybe the question we should ask ourselves is what will the mafia gain the most from and consider that. Trouble is, I'm too tired to think about this now...

Boo, Are we even allowed to not send in a name of a player or will there be penalty for those who don't do it?
No penalty.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Turnip Head wrote:@boo:

Yes.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

hi! I'm here.

3 months into a new job and snowed in at work, so I'll likely only be posting at night and sometimes during lunch.

Looking forward to a good, clean game.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Black Rock »

I thought I'd check in. I'm going to go over everything now and make sure I understand. I see there isn't a poll, are we just checking in then?
ImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Just 2 people that haven't opened the role PMs, so it will just be a 24 hour D0, so about 30 minutes to get your favourite capitalism related PM in if you're doing that.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Day 1 Start: You told us you’d say that, too.

Welcome to Monopoly Mafia. The first rule of Monopoly Mafia is: you do not stop talking about Monopoly Mafia. The second rule of Monopoly Mafia is: you DO NOT stop talking about Monopoly Mafia! Third rule of Monopoly Mafia: someone yells "stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is not over, you take that sucker for all they’re worth. Fourth rule: at least two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: at least one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes, no service. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Monopoly Mafia, you have to fight.

I see in capitalist societies the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential. An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; up-and-comers with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we love so we can buy stuff we truly need. We're the middle children of history, man. So much purpose and place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. No distractions. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. And we will be. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very excited.

Day 1 has begun, you have 48 hours to lynch someone (vote changes will be enabled).
List of all player movements on the board and results.
Updated board.

There are three powers available to bid on.
1st: Add a die (Allows the player who uses it to add a third dice roll to anyone they want)
2nd: Get a chance card (Allows the player who uses it to give 1 player of their choice a random chance card)
3rd: Windfall (Makes the next amount of money the player who uses this card gets be at least double what it would be, with the possibility of being as high as x5. If used on a hotel payment, the payer pays the normal amount, but the receiver gets 2-5x the listed amount).

The bidding for all three powers starts at $50, and subsequent bids must increase by a minimum of $10. If you sent in a PM with your favourite capitalism related movie/book/song/etc., $25 is automatically added to any bid you make on any of the three powers (you bid $50, your actual bid is sitting at $75 for example). The bids are done in thread, and end 10 minutes before the lynch ends. All powers also have a maximum sell price, so if bidding reaches that amount before the end of the lynch, the bidder who was at (or closest without going over) the cap wins it. The caps are not going to be shared.

Any power that receives no bids will be available for purchase at the starting bid, with the person who buys it posting in the thread that they would like to do so. If, within 30 minutes of that post, anyone else ups the amount they will pay for it (any amount), that person gets it (and the 30 minute rule still applies)

Also: keep in mind powers do not have to be used immediately. You can hold onto them and use them any time you like (this goes for all powers unless otherwise stated).
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 142

Post by Epignosis »

$o I $ee I have already benefited an a$$hole. I al$o $ee that my $pou$e did wor$e.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Re: Monopoly Mafia [Day 1]

Post by Epignosis »

I want Chance. $50.
keys56000000000
The Mark

Cool. RIP Boo. I'd like to bid $50 each on all three powers, please.

linki: $60 on chance. :haha:
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

$70 on Chance.
keys56000000000
The Mark

$80 on chance :haha:
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Made
Hitman
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Made »

Starting Windfall at $100
Pov: you reading my takes
keys56000000000
The Mark

$110 windfall
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

keys56000000000 wrote:$80 on chance :haha:
$500 on chance.

Come at me bitche$.

I will make it $prinkle up in here.
Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

keys56000000000 wrote:$110 windfall
$200 windfall
keys56000000000
The Mark

Yeah make it rain!

$60 on the extra die role power!
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Elohcin »

first of all, I am just now checking in, sorry. second, this game sounds freakin' awesome boo! 3rd, I was windfall. Made, why did you start the bid so high? I'm going to step it up and bid the highest I'm willing to go. $250 bid for windfall.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Elohcin wrote:first of all, I am just now checking in, sorry. second, this game sounds freakin' awesome boo! 3rd, I was windfall. Made, why did you start the bid so high? I'm going to step it up and bid the highest I'm willing to go. $250 bid for windfall.
ebwop, I want windfall
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

keys56000000000 wrote:Yeah make it rain!

I'll make $ure you get an extra die. :feb:
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Epignosis wrote:

you gonna keep up he $$$$$ all game Epi?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Elohcin wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

you gonna keep up he $$$$$ all game Epi?
Ca$h rule$ everything around me.

Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

:haha:
keys56000000000
The Mark

Ooh, there's a poll asking us who should die. Tough question.

Now, I've noticed this game has a money theme. I can dig it. Capitalism is great, it's given the west stability and prosperity. But, unchecked, us hard working folk can get a raw deal. We need to band together to have any leverage over the man. And that's why I say we unionise!

UNION!

UNION!

UNION! :haha:

The advantage of being in this union? Safety in numbers. They can't fire us all! And if we stick together, in the thread, we can win. We don't need BTSC to make it. Just need to do the right thing by our fellow working men and women and stick together. UNION!

And vote for the filthy scabs. Anyone looking to start their own BTSC set is no friend of The Civilian Union!

I nominate Long Con for union president!
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Boogs
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 140

Post by Boogs »

70 on extra dice.

Return to “Previous Jobs”