The evil space monkeys! (Hosts/Dead)
71%

Total votes: 14
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 7]

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:One thing I don't understand is why implementing a cop is you are so vehemently against allowing the cop to use that information. Sure, not allowing role reveals is one thing, but wanting to modkill a player because he switched his reads too fast?

It gets too subjective for my tastes. What exactly is considered a cop "dumping information" and a cop "not dumping information"? Is he supposed to keep his apparent reads unchanged so there is no chance people will notice he is a cop? Or was he supposed to quote a few random posts from splints and pretend there was evidence for her being a townie in them?

At this point I'd rather stop implementing info roles in the games altogether, if I were you. Better than enforcing a very subjective set of roles to nerf the cop.

Sorry for the criticism, but this is just an aspect of this site that baffles me.
I have developed a highly nuanced opinion of this subject. I would love to write about it, but I haven't done so yet, and I'm boozing, and about to watch some bullshit TV program.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:One thing I don't understand is why implementing a cop is you are so vehemently against allowing the cop to use that information. Sure, not allowing role reveals is one thing, but wanting to modkill a player because he switched his reads too fast?

It gets too subjective for my tastes. What exactly is considered a cop "dumping information" and a cop "not dumping information"? Is he supposed to keep his apparent reads unchanged so there is no chance people will notice he is a cop? Or was he supposed to quote a few random posts from splints and pretend there was evidence for her being a townie in them?

At this point I'd rather stop implementing info roles in the games altogether, if I were you. Better than enforcing a very subjective set of roles to nerf the cop.

Sorry for the criticism, but this is just an aspect of this site that baffles me.
This is a subject of much debate in our 'open set up' sites, and has been for all time :D I mean, in some ways you could say your role was an 'info role' and you were 'infodumping' by having contests happen in the thread, so there is definitely a subjective standard in play.

TH played his role well within the confines of Russti's rules, I thought.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Different hosts and players have very different opinions on infodumping and we've continually had debates about this. I would say that Russ, Dom, and DharmaHelper are the three people at this site who are the strictest against info dumping, but the site culture is pretty much in general agreement on it in its most broad form, since all of our games (except one) have been historically open setup.

Personally, I feel I am much more loose about it than many; I am really bothered only when it is blatant and requires no skill, and my players make statements such as "I know DDL is bad" or "I know DDL is good".

For many, myself included, the rule makes the game of mafia much more nuanced. It takes no skill to check someone with your power and then go into the thread and say "so and so is mafia", then ending the game for that player, and thereafter getting yourself NKed. Instead, despite the role madness setup of many of our games, the game thread itself still maintains a strict form of the hunt. Players must instead challenge themselves to disseminate anything learned outside of the thread into their posts in a nuanced fashion. Games have become increasingly unconventional and very heavy on role madness here due mostly to demand, since many of us don't like playing vanilla games as much. It's partly ingrained in Lostpedia-based culture, as well as preferred by those I brought over from ProgArchives and other facets of my life.

What you say has some truth, though, and many hosts around here have stopped including straight-up cops in their games.

In Death Note, I had made Mogi a modified cop role in that, if he was silent for 48 straight hours, he could gain a role check that revealed to him that person's role with 50% accuracy. There was a 50% chance he would get the correct role, but a 50% chance that it was a randomly selected role from all roles in the game. I had tons of secrets in that game, though, so no one knew what Mogi's role actually did until it was revealed about halfway through the game. Funnily enough, Russ actually had that role. Russ never knew whether I was going to reveal the secrets or not, so he had the risk of playing it blatantly and trying to cash as many role checks as possible, yet risk outing himself later and getting NKed if I ever revealed them, or playing it safe but not getting near as many role checks. He did the former.

Linki with Epi and Golden: I am very intrigued by Epi's elaboration on this matter, though I do know his general view on it already. I also agree with Golden that Turnip Head played the role absolutely brilliantly.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 5

Post by S~V~S »

What would have happened had someone refused to participate in a contest? Like I am fairly private; I don't upload pictures of myself to Facebook, for instance. I would NOT have made a video of myself singing or doing anything else, lol.

What were the punishments for refusing a contest? Did anyone refuse?

And like Epi, I have a very nuanced and layered view of the disco role issues. It boils down to I don't think it's sporting to ruin the baddies game. They work hard, and through no fault of their own, they get outed and lynched. When baddies go down (die, baddies, die!) it should be because they screwed up, not because someone got a PM from the host.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

S~V~S wrote:And like Epi, I have a very nuanced and layered view of the disco role issues. It boils down to I don't think it's sporting to ruin the baddies game. They work hard, and through no fault of their own, they get outed and lynched. When baddies go down (die, baddies, die!) it should be because they screwed up, not because someone got a PM from the host.
The lady said it better than the gent. :clap:

To go ahead and add the nuances I was referring to myself: If you allow civilians to win whether dead or alive, and its an open setup, then there is no reason for the info role to refrain from sharing everything.

And that makes for boring.

If you make civilians have to be careful because they don't win if dead, it makes the info role more careful in his function.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I almost refused to do the singing contest because I felt really embarrassed about it. Then I thought I probably would just try to loosen up and do it anyway, but forgot about it amid my busy schedule and in dogpeeing in the thread, actually, until Llama reminded me. XD

I think that Russ and Llama would have been disappointed and I would have lost by default, since I did ask them if I could just upload a partial video (like 10 seconds), but I think that's it. Either of them can correct me though, since I'm not entirely sure.

My punishment for losing was that I couldn't produce or sell for the Night.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote:It boils down to I don't think it's sporting to ruin the baddies game. They work hard, and through no fault of their own, they get outed and lynched. When baddies go down (die, baddies, die!) it should be because they screwed up, not because someone got a PM from the host.
QFT
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Golden wrote:

This is a subject of much debate in our 'open set up' sites, and has been for all time :D I mean, in some ways you could say your role was an 'info role' and you were 'infodumping' by having contests happen in the thread, so there is definitely a subjective standard in play.

TH played his role well within the confines of Russti's rules, I thought.
Of course I was, and I was intentionally timing my games so I would get myself confirmed on lylo. Only reason that did not happen was that I died earlier.

But if a mod noticed it, should they modkill me for it? Because every ability in a mafia game comes with the ihnerent potential to "info dump", as long as the player is smart/creative enough to use it. Should mods change rules the on the fly so they can curb any attempt from the players to use their roles to produce in-thread info?

The problem is the subjectiveness. It doesn't specify what a player can or cannot do, just a big "no info dumping" rule by the mod which they can enforce depending on how they think the game is going on. And that's uncompetitive in my opinion, because I think good games should have rules clearly speficied before they start, which as little input from the mod during the game as possible.

Personally, if I am to design a game to stop cops from breaking it, I'll probably try to do it using game mechanics. One obvious way it to implement millers and godfathers, or some more elaborated versions of those. so investigations become a suggestion instead of a certain read. Another one is to limit the number of investigations a cop can do. Another one is to simply reduce the rate of information roles by number of players in the game. But I want my game to be balanced before it starts, not try counter-attack the players' exploits as they play it.
MovingPictures07 wrote:Personally, I feel I am much more loose about it than many; I am really bothered only when it is blatant and requires no skill, and my players make statements such as "I know DDL is bad" or "I know DDL is good".
I agree with you, I think cops can ruin a game of mafia if they are let loose. The worst thing in being a baddie is being outed by a cop.

I just don't like approaches to solving the problem that force the players to pretend they don't know things they do, or that rely on subjective rules that depend on mod interpretations. I think there are more elegant ways of solving the issue.
S~V~S wrote:What would have happened had someone refused to participate in a contest? Like I am fairly private; I don't upload pictures of myself to Facebook, for instance. I would NOT have made a video of myself singing or doing anything else, lol.

What were the punishments for refusing a contest? Did anyone refuse?

And like Epi, I have a very nuanced and layered view of the disco role issues. It boils down to I don't think it's sporting to ruin the baddies game. They work hard, and through no fault of their own, they get outed and lynched. When baddies go down (die, baddies, die!) it should be because they screwed up, not because someone got a PM from the host.
It would have counted as if you had lost the contest (and you'd have lost guns/butter if I'm not wrong). That's what happened to aether, in fact.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

^ broken quotes are broken. Please note that I tried to quote MP's and SVS's posts separately.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:
S~V~S wrote:And like Epi, I have a very nuanced and layered view of the disco role issues. It boils down to I don't think it's sporting to ruin the baddies game. They work hard, and through no fault of their own, they get outed and lynched. When baddies go down (die, baddies, die!) it should be because they screwed up, not because someone got a PM from the host.

To go ahead and add the nuances I was referring to myself: If you allow civilians to win whether dead or alive, and its an open setup, then there is no reason for the info role to refrain from sharing everything.

If you make civilians have to be careful because they don't win if dead, it makes the info role more careful in his function.
I see your point, but that comes with the nasty side effect of making players unwilling to play the game to the fullest, imo. Because a player who does not try hard would have a better chance at winning than one who does. JJJ would never win a game in this format, for example.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 269

Post by G-Man »

I loved the idea of the singing contest and made the video but I had the video set to private at first. I sent the link to our hosts hoping they could view it because they had the direct link. A few hours after the deadline, I saw that I had been notified that the video wouldn't play for them. I think they gave us both an extra 24 hours to get the videos in.

The hardest part for me was choosing a song to sing. I wasn't sure if I should be serious or silly. Here's the shortlist I came up with:

"Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie (my ultimate choice because it had me going all over the place vocally and I LOVE this song)

"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" by Weezer (I joked in LMS3 that this was my theme song- I actually sing it on my way to work everyday as a pick-me-up)

"Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music (gorgeous song and it's safe for my low range but I didn't want people to think I was claiming or hinting at being Menger)

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness (I would have gotten too into this one and I realized that I didn't want any videos of me gyrating and thrusting on the internet)

"Summer" from Frozen (because who doesn't love Olaf?)

"It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones (scrapped it because I didn't have enough time to choreograph my own version of The Carlton dance)
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DDL, I fixed your quotes for you.

I can understand your PoV. Inevitably, it depends on how the Host wants to run it, and I have noticed that Hosts have been increasingly experimenting on ways to counteract it using game mechanics instead of the way Russ included a straight-up cop here. It was intriguing to play with a standard cop role though.

I do think that there is inevitable subjectivity involved in any game though, since there always can be cheating or asshattery, particularly so when games become more and more unconventional.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

I see your point, but that comes with the nasty side effect of making players unwilling to play the game to the fullest, imo. Because a player who does not try hard would have a better chance at winning than one who does. JJJ would never win a game in this format, for example.
I never win a game in this format. I'm not complaining. ;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote:"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness (I would have gotten too into this one and I realized that I didn't want any videos of me gyrating and thrusting on the internet)
:haha:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:DDL, I fixed your quotes for you.

I can understand your PoV. Inevitably, it depends on how the Host wants to run it, and I have noticed that Hosts have been increasingly experimenting on ways to counteract it using game mechanics instead of the way Russ included a straight-up cop here. It was intriguing to play with a standard cop role though.

I do think that there is inevitable subjectivity involved in any game though, since there always can be cheating or asshattery, particularly so when games become more and more unconventional.
Yes, some things are impossible to predict. You think you have everything covered then people use 2 roles at the same time ina way you weren't expecting and now you have to evaluate how those roles interact, and make a decision on the fly. It's hard to be completely objective when modding.

But I can try.
MovingPictures07 wrote:In Death Note, I had made Mogi a modified cop role in that, if he was silent for 48 straight hours, he could gain a role check that revealed to him that person's role with 50% accuracy. There was a 50% chance he would get the correct role, but a 50% chance that it was a randomly selected role from all roles in the game. I had tons of secrets in that game, though, so no one knew what Mogi's role actually did until it was revealed about halfway through the game. Funnily enough, Russ actually had that role. Russ never knew whether I was going to reveal the secrets or not, so he had the risk of playing it blatantly and trying to cash as many role checks as possible, yet risk outing himself later and getting NKed if I ever revealed them, or playing it safe but not getting near as many role checks. He did the former.
I like this. It's the kind of anti-cop mechanics I was talking about.

One game I hosted once had mafia have a one-shot ability that made every cop get inverted results for a cycle. They used it on day 1, and it almost made mafia win the game. Because town followed the results of an investigation blindly, and when it was wrong, they also blindly lynched the cop in the following day. So the idea is that town should have relied on their brains ALONG with the abilitiy instead of just the ability.

Unfortunately town ended up winning for role dumping because I had put too many masons on the game, but that's something I wanna correct in my next one.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote: I do think that there is inevitable subjectivity involved in any game though, since there always can be cheating or asshattery, particularly so when games become more and more unconventional.
This is worded horribly, sorry.

I mean, I think there is inevitable subjectivity and subjectivity increases with unconventionality. Two examples of subjectivity are how the Host wants to deal with various cheating or asshattery (do you modkill them or punish them in another way?). There's also inactivity and how each Host wants to handle that.

Of course, a Host can choose to deal with only those issues and no subjectivity in terms of the game setup by making a game vanilla completely, or by making it role madness but making the roles unconventional and ambiguous. Again, depends on what the Host wants for his or her game.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Make info rare. That's the obvious answer.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

And "info" doesn't just mean things people learn. Civilian BTSC (Masons?) is info.

Keep it rare in any game of any setting.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:In Death Note, I had made Mogi a modified cop role in that, if he was silent for 48 straight hours, he could gain a role check that revealed to him that person's role with 50% accuracy. There was a 50% chance he would get the correct role, but a 50% chance that it was a randomly selected role from all roles in the game. I had tons of secrets in that game, though, so no one knew what Mogi's role actually did until it was revealed about halfway through the game. Funnily enough, Russ actually had that role. Russ never knew whether I was going to reveal the secrets or not, so he had the risk of playing it blatantly and trying to cash as many role checks as possible, yet risk outing himself later and getting NKed if I ever revealed them, or playing it safe but not getting near as many role checks. He did the former.
I like this. It's the kind of anti-cop mechanics I was talking about.

One game I hosted once had mafia have a one-shot ability that made every cop get inverted results for a cycle. They used it on day 1, and it almost made mafia win the game. Because town followed the results of an investigation blindly, and when it was wrong, they also blindly lynched the cop in the following day. So the idea is that town should have relied on their brains ALONG with the abilitiy instead of just the ability.

Unfortunately town ended up winning for role dumping because I had put too many masons on the game, but that's something I wanna correct in my next one.
I would actually say with confidence that there are more roles in games here like Mogi (unconventional takes on a standard role) or Nash (unconventional role) than Akerlof (straight-up standard role), that's for sure.

Re: the bolded/italicized, I love that. Awesome ability.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:Make info rare. That's the obvious answer.
Yeah, that's definitely an answer. Lol.

I personally have a liking of info roles though; I'd rather include them and just make them weird. :P
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

I do agree with you re civs winning dead or alive. I think no fear of death makes for more aggressive civs rather than blendy civs. When I host everyone has win with your team, dead or alive, except LMS roles.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

I do agree with you re civs winning dead or alive. I think no fear of death makes for more aggressive civs rather than blendy civs. When I host everyone has win with your team, dead or alive, except LMS roles.
I agree with this as well. Henceforth I'm going to be hosting my games either straight-up faction win (regardless of dead/alive) or make it an altered form. Like in Death Note where the win con was dead/alive but the mafia had additional win conditions, or in my upcoming RUSH game where you earn coins, but your team winning doesn't give you enough coins on its own so you have to win various individual role win cons (which are smaller) and accrue enough coins to win.

I will admit I love different perspectives at The Syndicate though. For example, Epi obviously disagrees with my view on dead/alive and Russ is more hardass than I am on info dumping (I say this with complete respect and friendlove), but I still play their games, and I still love the shit out of them. :D
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

S~V~S wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

That's another thing I'd never heard of until I started playing here.

You guys surely have a very distinct mafia culture. It's like you're an island or something. :P

In my site, direct role revealing is usually not allowed (to avoid those horrible mass-claim scenarios), but role dumping of any kind is fair game. But the games there are so full of abilities that information could come from literally anywhere, so a good mafioso can WIFOM their way out of most situations.

I've come to realize that cops become somewhat weaker the more role madness a game is. It's in the generic ones that they are the most powerful.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I don't have a hard stance on civilians being alive to win. In Masters of the Universe, the entire civilian faction won because Flyin' High won.

Since then, I've been meticulous about whether civilians should win as a group or not. It always depends on the roles and powers.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:Make info rare. That's the obvious answer.
I agree with this.

But sometimes it's hard to do that when you're trying to make 30 roles with 2-3 abilities each and you need ideas. :scared:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:I don't have a hard stance on civilians being alive to win. In Masters of the Universe, the entire civilian faction won because Flyin' High won.

Since then, I've been meticulous about whether civilians should win as a group or not. It always depends on the roles and powers.
Ah, that's true, I just know you tend to be opinionated about it anymore and you haven't had a game where entire factions have won ever since (right? correct me if I'm wrong).
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

When you have an open setup with a large number of detailed, thematic roles, you can't have info dumping. And if you do, Mafia should be able to quickly snuff it out, and the dumper shouldn't win for doing it and getting killed.

That's the "dirty version" of my perspective.

Closed vanilla games? Knock yourselves out with the info and claims. It works there.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Well for all it's worth, almost every game in my site is closed setup.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I see your point, but that comes with the nasty side effect of making players unwilling to play the game to the fullest, imo. Because a player who does not try hard would have a better chance at winning than one who does. JJJ would never win a game in this format, for example.
It can have that nasty side effect if that's how players play it. But playing a game differently or more quietly does not necessarily equal not playing it to its fullest. I very much enjoy being a civilian and trying to get the town a win WHILE trying to win, and I don't think my civilian reputation has ever suffered any knocks for how I go about achieving that.

Each setting has it's own impact on balance. Epi's point is correct in that being able to win or lose if you are alive has an impact on balance, one that has to be taken into account when designing.

What I enjoy about this kind of open set up is the variance it creates.

PS - I agree with you on creating info that is merely a suggestion. My West Wing game had a mafia role that could make others appear mafia if checked. My Pixar game, an info role got some correct and some poor info each day (and even then the info was ambiguous - for instance one true piece of information was that 'X is a monster' - which they literally were (Sully from Monsters inc) but they weren't mafia).

I think the best outcome for info roles is to balance them with counter-info roles. This means that someone with info has to consider that info in the context of the thread to decide if they believe it or not.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Golden wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I see your point, but that comes with the nasty side effect of making players unwilling to play the game to the fullest, imo. Because a player who does not try hard would have a better chance at winning than one who does. JJJ would never win a game in this format, for example.
It can have that nasty side effect if that's how players play it. But playing a game differently or more quietly does not necessarily equal not playing it to its fullest. I very much enjoy being a civilian and trying to get the town a win WHILE trying to win, and I don't think my civilian reputation has ever suffered any knocks for how I go about achieving that.
Well I this isn't the first time you say this to me so I'll give it the benefit of doubt. I'll play at least one game like that so I can decide my opinion on it. :ponder:
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Part of the trick is definitely to be ok losing and to be more invested in the town winning than yourself.

Part of it is to keep your cards held closer to your chest. If dead civs couldn't win this game, MP and TH might have kept their cards closer, I might not have been on to them and killed them, and the town might have won as a result. The game isn't necessarily balanced more in favour of the mafia by having dead civs lose (although I do think you should assume it is in favour of the mafia if dead mafia CAN win). I personally quite like games where deadies on neither side win. I've seen some epic meltdowns from baddie teams when bussing went on and deadies couldn't win.
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

Well, the distinction I would make is that cops are supposed to use their info; their teammates generally aren't supposed to share in that benefit. Really that just comes down to a game balancing question. I have no doubt that if you made a cop role that was allowed to share it's info, you'd "nerf" the civvie team in other ways. So I think the end effect of the differing rules would be minimal.

As MP mentioned, I take an extremely negative stance on info dumping of any type because I have seen it ruin games over and over. It simply takes all the fun, and all of the mafia, out of mafia for me. And I have definitely seen info dumping absolutely wreck games even when it wasn't an explicit outing per se. Someone changing stance radically just as dawn breaks is a fairly established tell on this site for "I have info", which is why I considered coming down on it hard. To answer your questions about alternatives, yes, your suggestions for handling info were what I would consider the "right" way to play it within my rules. Pretend that you're believing a player's defense if you've found out they're civ and being suspected, or find something, however small, in their posts that incriminates them if you've found they're bad. Even just say that they read as genuine/not genuine to you and say that you might be changing your mind on them, and take a post or two exchanged with them to come around.

I find games with some amount of info in them to be more exciting, so I'll keep including info roles in my games. Will I have another unmitigated straight-up nightly role check? Probably not, for some of the reasons you discussed above. But imo TH played a perfect info role game: he managed to help the civs lynch baddies without ever implying that he had info. Sure, a few people seem to have cottoned on to his role, but figuring out roles is half the fun of mafia. And to me the essential point is that they figured it out more because he was on a hot streak with his reads than because of anything he said. So, in true mafia style, they figured it out for themselves instead of having it waved in their faces.

As for subjectiveness, I don't think you found that in this game to a greater extent than any other game that has rules of any type. Sure, I had a strict stance. Say what you want otherwise, but I made my stance abundantly clear in the pregame rules. It says that you're breaking the rule by even implying that you have info, real or fake. If you break that you're risking a modkill; pretty clear-cut. But there's subjectivity in enforcement of any rule, in or out of mafia. For example, BTSC is prohibited unless expressly granted in most games. Is a player reminding a friend that the game has started and they need to post a violation of that? They're not talking in thread. And what about rules against being an asshat? That's a HUGE issue in mafia, and it's probably the most subjective rule of all. There's tons of factor to consider, like is a player being mean-spirited, trying to get a reaction in order to make a voting decision, or simply getting into the persona of a role? Are they joking around and forgot to use sarcastic orange, or are they seriously putting someone down? There's no way for a mod to decide how they will rule on a case like that before the game starts.

I appreciate your advice on "more elegant" solutions to the info role conundrum. My advice to you is this: Yes, The Syndicate isn't like every other mafia site you've played at, and that's probably a good thing. Not to say there is even the slightest thing wrong with any site you've been at, but a diversity of styles and cultures means this game can appeal to a broader range of people. And I say the more the merrier. So please, feel welcome, give it a try, and see what you think of our flavor of the game. Definitely share ideas from other places, too, because taking a little of the best from everywhere is a great way to improve mafia here. If, after a few game, you've found that you don't enjoy the games being offered or don't agree with the rules set, stop playing. We'll be sad to see you go, but we understand that you should play mafia that gives you joy, not makes you frustrated or stressed.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I almost refused to do the singing contest because I felt really embarrassed about it. Then I thought I probably would just try to loosen up and do it anyway, but forgot about it amid my busy schedule and in dogpeeing in the thread, actually, until Llama reminded me. XD

I think that Russ and Llama would have been disappointed and I would have lost by default, since I did ask them if I could just upload a partial video (like 10 seconds), but I think that's it. Either of them can correct me though, since I'm not entirely sure.

My punishment for losing was that I couldn't produce or sell for the Night.
This is exactly correct.
G-Man wrote:I loved the idea of the singing contest and made the video but I had the video set to private at first. I sent the link to our hosts hoping they could view it because they had the direct link. A few hours after the deadline, I saw that I had been notified that the video wouldn't play for them. I think they gave us both an extra 24 hours to get the videos in.

The hardest part for me was choosing a song to sing. I wasn't sure if I should be serious or silly. Here's the shortlist I came up with:

"Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie (my ultimate choice because it had me going all over the place vocally and I LOVE this song)

"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" by Weezer (I joked in LMS3 that this was my theme song- I actually sing it on my way to work everyday as a pick-me-up)

"Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music (gorgeous song and it's safe for my low range but I didn't want people to think I was claiming or hinting at being Menger)

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness (I would have gotten too into this one and I realized that I didn't want any videos of me gyrating and thrusting on the internet)

"Summer" from Frozen (because who doesn't love Olaf?)

"It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones (scrapped it because I didn't have enough time to choreograph my own version of The Carlton dance)
This setlist makes me so happy. :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 52

Post by thellama73 »

Regarding infodumping, I used to be more tightfisted about it, but Epignosis pointed out to me (and experience proved him right) that civilians who infodump usually don't last long. They create their own punishment, which I prefer to having to hand donw punishments as a host.

Rehgarding dead civs winning, I don't know, I just don't like the idea of having 25 winners in every game the civilians win. It cheapens the win, in my view, to have the entire faction receive it. With smaller teams, it's less of a problem
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Who's idea was it to kill me on Night 1 and why?

I like to know these things. :grin:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Congrats on 6,000 posts, MM!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Oh, seems I missed Golden's 1,000 too. Happy belated 1,000 posts, Golden!

I like numbers. :nicenod:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Congrats on 6,000 posts, MM!
Oh dang, I didn't even notice. ;airguitar:

Muchas gracias!

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 83

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Well played Golden, you did a great job.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

@Russ. I see your point. I just don't like the ideas of players acting like they don't know something they do, because it makes it feel unnatural. I like things to be more clear cut.

But don't worry, I'm not quitting this site because of this. Your game was awesome in ways no other games I've ever played were, and your ruleset does have advantages which I can't ignore, so it can make things fresh. I've never played a mafia game where I thought everything about it was perfect. Not even the games I hosted were like that. Every host has their own quirks that can make a game better or worse for each player depending on their tastes.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I agree with your point about cops breaking games though. I actually stopped playing mafia on a certain place because I got tired of cops soloing the games every time. It's a lot easier for a game to be ruined by excess of information than by the lack of it.

I just differ on the idea of how to tackle the problem. But like I said, I'm open to experience new games from different mods. And yes, I'd play another game hosted by you.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I don't know if Russti is hosting again anytime soon, but llama's Frisky Dingbat Mafia is the next full game in the queue.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 52

Post by thellama73 »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I don't know if Russti is hosting again anytime soon, but llama's Frisky Dingbat Mafia is the next full game in the queue.
That's true, and I think it will be a fun one!
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Where is that queue?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Where is that queue?
Here it is!
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Where is that queue?
After the P.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

We're at the end of the queue. We are voting on the next one.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Whose idea was it to kill me on Night 1 and why?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 231

Post by fingersplints »

Probably how you were on to Bass :p
Gro-oo-ovy
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 83

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Whose idea was it to kill me on Night 1 and why?
It wasn't my idea. I think it was Roxy only because you weren't tossing any of our names around really. I wanted JJJ or DDL or MP gone night one because they were posting a ton. lol
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.

Return to “Previous Side Missions”