Cancer (The Host, the Non, the Dead)
60%

Total votes: 10
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 325

Re: Watchmen [ENDGAME]

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Still want to know why each one of the three night kills failed, though. The first one was aimed at Rico. What about the other two?

@MP: So you two never tracked Eloh? LOL
How would they track Elo and make a full wolf case on her afterwards?
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 121

Post by Golden »

Yeah, the elo lynch was so wonky from an external perspective. So was the MP lynch. There were a couple of times in this game where I so wanted to be in the thread. I don't really know how cookie and espers managed to last quite as long as they did.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Ricochet wrote:
nijuukyugou wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Also, I take it Ninja never got close to guessing correctly or having time to do so?
She was here at our house drinking and watching the Watchmen movie and talking a lot about boobs.

She lamented, "No one ever targets me with anything."

I shot back, "Someone targeted you tonight!" :haha:

Good times.
True story :suspish: I did at least get one (incorrect) guess in the first night.

Good game, all! :D
Which guess was that?
Total crapshoot since it was so early in the game:

Night Owl II - Bass
Dr. Manhattan - espers
The Comedian - Ricochet

I don't even remember why I picked those, except that I had a feeling I would die early :sigh:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 401
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

No, we never tracked Elo. I really thought she was bad and was willing to pull a gambit -- if I was right, then boom, my tracker partner and I were still both alive. If I was wrong, then it gave me another night to check, since otherwise I likely would have been lynched D5.

I tracked juliets N3.

Scotty tracked me on N4.

So you can see why I was frustrated.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

It was a total fail, though, I should have just continued my style of the previous four Days and let you all lynch me; instead, I led a lynch on an innocent civilian who couldn't even defend herself, which led you all to lynch me the subsequent Day, and is surely why TinyBubbles couldn't even bother to post, but could bother to silence me.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 395
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Ricochet wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Still want to know why each one of the three night kills failed, though. The first one was aimed at Rico. What about the other two?

Tracker uses his ability on Eloh.

Epi PMs him back and says "Eloh used an ability on X"

Night ends, X was killed.

Therefore, Eloh is the one who killed X, barring an incredible coincidence.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

nijuukyugou wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
nijuukyugou wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Also, I take it Ninja never got close to guessing correctly or having time to do so?
She was here at our house drinking and watching the Watchmen movie and talking a lot about boobs.

She lamented, "No one ever targets me with anything."

I shot back, "Someone targeted you tonight!" :haha:

Good times.
True story :suspish: I did at least get one (incorrect) guess in the first night.

Good game, all! :D
Which guess was that?
Total crapshoot since it was so early in the game:

Night Owl II - Bass
Dr. Manhattan - espers
The Comedian - Ricochet

I don't even remember why I picked those, except that I had a feeling I would die early :sigh:
I wouldn't have known what to do if I were the Comedian. I'm still surprised MM waited so fucking long to beg for the NK.

Then again, I didn't know what to do as Ozymandias, when I got the part, either. :grin:

linki: Ah, so that's what tracking is.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Ricochet wrote:

Exactly.

I figured Scotty was my partner for sure after I had no result N2 and then a result on N4. Then when he started defending me subtly after the N4 result, I knew 100% it was him.

It's possible he thought I had info on Elo that he didn't get to see (i.e., N3) and that's why he followed me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I was yelling at my computer screen multiple times during the D6 lynch, especially after Scotty uncovered Cookie knew espers replaced out due to RL (when he never said he had any intention to replace out in the thread). Can't believe I died in a three-way tie.

I've been in TWO three-way lynch ties in my entire mafia career and lost them both. :sigh:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

My suspicion on MP was one of the worst things I did in this game too.

Truth is, I've heard a few times about how MP tends to get quite angry when he is lynched as a bad. I assumed spotting mafia MP and lynching him would be very exciting, and also very challenging. When I started suspecting him, I let the thrill of the hunt get the best of me and tunneled hard. I also believe bad MP would emulate all the rainbow lists and the endless questions, so I was prepared to see all that as an elaborate play.

Still want to play against baddie MP, btw.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I was yelling at my computer screen multiple times during the D6 lynch, especially after Scotty uncovered Cookie knew espers replaced out due to RL (when he never said he had any intention to replace out in the thread). Can't believe I died in a three-way tie.

I've been in TWO three-way lynch ties in my entire mafia career and lost them both. :sigh:
What do you expect? Russ killed you, after all. ;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:My suspicion on MP was one of the worst things I did in this game too.

Truth is, I've heard a few times about how MP tends to get quite angry when he is lynched as a bad. I assumed spotting mafia MP and lynching him would be very exciting, and also very challenging. When I started suspecting him, I let the thrill of the hunt get the best of me and tunneled hard. I also believe bad MP would emulate all the rainbow lists and the endless questions, so I was prepared to see all that as an elaborate play.

Yeah, you and G-Man were tinfoiling me hard, but I suppose you had reason to -- I didn't exactly play a great game.

Your suspicion of me still wasn't as bad as mine of Elo. I didn't even consider a genuine possibility for why G-Man was so sure.

I'm nonetheless flattered that you think my baddie game is great. It is. :feb: But mainly when compared to my civilian game (since my civilian game really sucks). :P
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I was yelling at my computer screen multiple times during the D6 lynch, especially after Scotty uncovered Cookie knew espers replaced out due to RL (when he never said he had any intention to replace out in the thread). Can't believe I died in a three-way tie.

The bastard! That's true! At least it wasn't a coin toss.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:

You should have been nicer to him.

Like I was.
espers
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 28

Post by espers »

so it seems this is over. don't really understand what happened in the endgame (haven't looked through) but congrats to the winners.

sorry i had to drop out, a bit of explanation:
i fell ill a couple days before with some kind of stomach bug so i wasn't feeling up for mafia or any kind of protracted effort in general, i told the scum cave and epi this but didn't post it in the thread b/c i thought it'd look like i was trying to get concessions out of pity or something. that thing i said about most of the activity seeming to happen when i was asleep was true too btw. also after that awful sloonei vote d1 i knew i was a goner, which didn't exactly help with motivation lol
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:

You should have been nicer to him.

Like I was.
:sigh:

:feb:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

espers wrote:so it seems this is over. don't really understand what happened in the endgame (haven't looked through) but congrats to the winners.

sorry i had to drop out, a bit of explanation:
i fell ill a couple days before with some kind of stomach bug so i wasn't feeling up for mafia or any kind of protracted effort in general, i told the scum cave and epi this but didn't post it in the thread b/c i thought it'd look like i was trying to get concessions out of pity or something. that thing i said about most of the activity seeming to happen when i was asleep was true too btw. also after that awful sloonei vote d1 i knew i was a goner, which didn't exactly help with motivation lol
No worries, espers! I hope to get to play with you on a game again here soon. :)
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:My suspicion on MP was one of the worst things I did in this game too.

Yeah, you and G-Man were tinfoiling me hard, but I suppose you had reason to -- I didn't exactly play a great game.

Your suspicion of me still wasn't as bad as mine of Elo. I didn't even consider a genuine possibility for why G-Man was so sure.

I'm nonetheless flattered that you think my baddie game is great. It is. :feb: But mainly when compared to my civilian game (since my civilian game really sucks). :P
Dude, I hate trying to read uber-talkative players like you. You guys control the game and make it hard for me to call you mafia.

I spent the entirety of economics having a tinfoil that JJJ was mafia because I was just atraid of how he could be hiding it. I might have voted him on lylo if I were alive.

I also spent most of that champions game turnip player suspecting Banks.

Supatown players actually disguised as mafia dread me.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Actually, it should be "I dread supatown players disguised as mafia". Since I'm the one who fears them. Right?
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 48

Post by thellama73 »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Actually, it should be "I dread supatown players disguised as mafia". Since I'm the one who fears them. Right?
Supatown.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 100

Post by DharmaHelper »

Did I win?
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

More poetry in the stats:

Three of the Watchmen were slain early and, in fact, on consecutive phases: Ninja (Silk) N2, DH (Nite) D3, LC (Rorschach) N3. I only needed one of them gone.

I had to get rid of the remaining two on the last two Days of the game.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Seriously, it's so much easier to have a bad read on those people who say "hey guys just dropping by to say I didn't read the thread but I'm voting X because I have a hunch see ya tomorrow kthxbye"

@Rico

I knew the identity of every dead player from a certain point onwards (day 5 I think). I spent a lot of the game lol'ing about how you were so worried about Rorsrarch.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

DharmaHelper wrote:Did I win?
No. Everybody died except Derf.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Seriously, it's so much easier to have a bad read on those people who say "hey guys just dropping by to say I didn't read the thread but I'm voting X because I have a hunch see ya tomorrow kthxbye"

@Rico

I knew the identity of every dead player from a certain point onwards (day 5 I think). I spent a lot of the game lol'ing about how you were so worried about Rorsrarch.
I was never worried about Rorschach. :confused: I dissed G-Man and MM for bringing "woo Rorschach" reasons for voting far away from the main wagons.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I told you guys G-Man was totally Bernard. His posting style was so obvious, after getting accustomed to his dead ink monologues.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

@Rico

I meant "you" in the pulral sense, as of "you civs". This language you people like too use can be kind of impractical sometimes.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:@Rico

I meant "you" in the pulral sense, as of "you civs". This language you people like too use can be kind of impractical sometimes.
Well you shouldn't put @Rico ahead of a paragraph in which you use plural you.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I thought you were Baernard for a while because, for a very long time, G-Man mentioned every player except you.

Also lol at G-Man having himself as his main suspect the whole game.

Also I used the @Rico because I felt like I was relying to what you had just said.. Er... whatever, my mistake.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Things I still want to know.

- Who the hell did mafia try to kill on those nights where the kills failed? Danmit.
- Did G-Man actually have info on Eloh? Was the bet a dirty one? lol
LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Fascinating end game.

I was totally wrong on DDL's hinting--I was thinking Comedian. And then I was quite confused when that was wrong.

Anyway, fun game. Sad y'all lynched me. But well played and good fun.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

So I'll probably finish up and upload spreadsheets tomorrow (it's almost 5am!), but more unknown info would be helpful until then:

-- Russ confirming he got to kill on N2, since he inherited for a while Lawrence's NK. Or did he inherit it all the way through? So Russ tried to kill me??

-- Whether DH used any abilities in the two nights he was alive (and what and on whom)

-- If LC tracked anyone on N3 (even if it proved pointless)

-- Who did DDL check, in what order.

-- If Golden checked anybody on N1.

-- Who did Timmer/Juliets searched for.

-- Which players did Eloh denied being to Bernard.

-- If LoRab ever copied one of DH's abilities.

-- Who did Scotty track on N6.

-- Who did Cookie silence and on which Nights.

-- Who did Bass/TB/Made silence and on which Nights.

-- Who got "mystified" by Russ, if any.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 82

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Things I still want to know.

- Who the hell did mafia try to kill on those nights where the kills failed? Danmit.
- Did G-Man actually have info on Eloh? Was the bet a dirty one? lol
Rico and Russ.

Yes. Eloh went down the alphabet.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I figured Ninja was silk spectre. So did everyone else, I guess.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

-- Whether DH used any abilities in the two nights he was alive (and what and on whom)
4-Person poll thingy and protection on myself, I think.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

DharmaHelper wrote:
You are to blame for my lynch?
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Golden wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
In fairness, your vote was sketchy.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Thanks Epi. And what about the Night 8 kill?

@Rico

N1: Nobody (only Sloonei was dead)
N2: Scotty
N3: Revived Scotty (had to either revive or check roles).
N4: Long Con
N5: llama
N6: ninja
N7: juliets
N8: Nobody.
N9: G-Man

Also just noticed DH actually spotted Moloch in the D2 poll.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I won't prolong, however, the puzzles reveal. Here is a link where you can download and check all of them:

http://we.tl/gd21FPc1LB

If you want to have a go at them for fun, don't open the spoilers tab before you do.

If not:
This is a walkthrough of the puzzles I created and sent to players. Epig once asked me if there are actual solutions to them, so I'll post what I told him as explanation for how these puzzles worked.
If you're asking if they can be solved, yes, all of them can be cracked.

If you're asking if there's something at the end of cracking them, yes, all of them contain a message that can be called a "solution" to the puzzle. Even Eloh's maze. So far, they've been a(n) (intentional) mix of "fluff" (meaning a message with no bearing to the game; the target, by solving it, would only find out he's been rused) and "bait" (a message with bearing to the game, meant to manipulate players' reads and perceptions; the target, by solving it, would receive a fabricated info he could or not be tricked into making use of).
PUZZLE 1 - technically BAIT, but meant as FLUFF - Sent to MovingPictures07. Confirmed he didn't give a shit.

-- I sent MP07, via the Host, an mp3 file named "737473696c6e6f736f6e686374616d"
-- the title of the mp3 file is made up of hex numbers
-- converted, they spell stsilnosonhctam, which needs to be reversed
-- reversed, the text spells matchnosonlists
-- "match the numbers (nos.) on lists" (meaning the list of players and roles)
-- the numbers that need to be matched are recited in the audio recording
-- the audio fragment is an excerpt of an electro-acoustic experimental piece called "September" by Keith Rowe
-- everything that actually belongs to Rowe's piece - from electronic noise and radio static to an excerpt of EMF's "You're Unbelievable" - is completely irrelevant
-- superimposed on two occasions (quite audibly, too, because I suck at mixing) are two fragments from "Freitag-Abschluss" by Karlheinz Stockhausen, the last part of his "Freitag aus Licht" electro-classical opera
-- two numbers are separately and obstinately recited in the two fragments, "Sieben" and "Zwolf", which is German for "seven" and "twelve"
-- 7 and 12 are, thus, the two numbers that need to be matched on lists
-- version A of matching is 7 from the roles (Janey Slater) and 12 from the players (MP07), but since MP07 knows his role, this result wouldn't make any sense for him (except if he is actually Janey Slater) and he would normally discard it
-- version B of matching is 7 from the players (G-Man) and 12 from the roles (Silk Spectre II)
-- puzzle message is thus "G-Man is Silk Spectre II"

I intentionally (i.e. not randomly) crafted the version B matching, because I had a theory (disproven, of course, by Sloonei's D1 flip) that G-Man and Sloonei might be the Silk Spectres, Laurie knowing who Sally is. BUT AGAIN, this entire message was entirely fabricated, in case MP07 would have cracked it.

PUZZLE 2 - BAIT - Intended to Llama, but he got night killed, so I got Epig's permission to send it to Dharma instead (I sent Epig the puzzle in advance, because of going hiking); ironically, Dharma then also got lynched D2 without any indication that he got something out of the puzzle. He probably didn't give a shit at all, either. I'm quite fond of this one.

-- I sent to Dharma, via the Host, a zip archive named "woobjxib"
-- "woobjxib" is codified (ROT-4) for "assemble" [I chose +4 because it was the first codified version in the sequence that had a pretty form]
-- just as a nice touch, "assemble" is tongue-in-cheek for both superhero teams (such as the Watchmen) assembling, as well as for solving this puzzle
-- the zip archive contains 23 png files, each with a symbol
-- each symbol is actually a letter, written in blue ink, imitating the style of Rorschach's signature in his journal or messages
-- each image thus contains a letter; in some cases, it contains two letters (TH, TI, RR)
-- half of the images are randomly flipped horizontally, the others are normal
-- the images have to be assembled correctly, puzzle style, to create the message
-- the message is "The detectives are corruptible"

The message was basically intended to bait Llama/Dharma into thinking the statement is true and potentially mess up with his reads. The most obvious candidate for a recruiter is Moloch. The message's rate of validity is pretty decent in all situations, except if Llama/Dharma was Moloch and knew his actual ability - alternatively, in case either was one of the Detectives, the message could still have a potential effect on him. I initially considered writing "the civilians are corruptible", but then I narrowed it down to the detective pair. It seemed the better version, considering half the civilians can be linked with Watchmen, so it's harder to believe they can all be recruited or corrupted. All the letters were handwritten by me on paper, scanned to my computer, cropped and saved separately (duplicates included).

PUZZLE 3 - FLUFF - Sent to Elohcin. I laughed my ass off when she seemingly didn't even get the joke.

-- I sent to Elohcin, via the Host, a Flash file named MH, intended to stand for Manhattan
-- the file is a four-level maze game, called "Info Maze", imitating the "Scary maze game" format, whilst promising "precious info" upon completion
-- the start page says "Pyramid Deliveries Presents" in Symbol font, followed by the game name and the instruction to complete the maze for info
-- each level (apart from the last one) is split into separate increasingly difficult paths (two each, first two levels, three on the 3rd level), leading to different end points, one fake, one unlocking the next level; every fake end point leads to a dead end panel, after which the game needs to be restarted from scratch
-- dead end panel for Level 1 [left path, the easier of the two] is the Boy George impersonation picture Epig used in Guess Who, with an excerpt of Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence"
-- dead end panel for Level 2 [up path, ironically the harder of the two] is a gif from Disney's The Skeleton Dance, with an excerpt of "The Gonk" from the "Dawn of the Dead" soundtrack
-- dead end panels for Level 3 [down path, up and down path, equally challenging] are gif scenes from the Comedian's death in the Watchmen movie
-- end panel ("win" panel for Level 4) [which is completely straightforward] is a blue image with Manhattan's forehead symbol and the message "The cake is a lie"
-- "The cake is a lie" is a famous catchphrase from the game Portal, used to mean a promised reward at the end of several trials without actual intent of delivering said reward
-- so the maze game is esentially one big ruse. The harder time you had to complete the levels, the better.

I created the whole game in half a day. :o I had no knowledge of writing Flash and didn't even have Adobe Professional installed beforehand. I chose Eloh as a sort of revenge ruse for her "intentionally giddy" Day 3 endgame. I came up with this after struggling to think of something else. I definitely wanted to do something Manhattan-related and my first idea was sending a message, apparently from him (written in bright blue), in which he would promise to take the target away with him on another planet (immunity, so to say), if the target would post some subtle message in the thread of wanting to go away or even out himself/his alignment in some way - Canuck-style in Roger Rabbit, but you can already tell how difficult it was to come up with the right bait. Then it hit me that the "promise" can just as well be no promise at all, at the end of completing the puzzle, so I worked with that instead.

Further symbolism and tongue-in-cheek-ism:
-- the color of the start panel, level mazes and "win" panel are all intentionally Manhattan-hinting blue;
-- Epig's picture and the skeleton gif are a soft idea of "spooky"; also
-- the idea, in case Eloh was familiar with the actual "scary maze game", that you had to risk doing this (for the sake of info) and get spooked;
-- the "Cake" ruse is even more delicious in connection with Eloh's baking skills;
-- the Comedian scenes made no sense, but in case it would make the target wonder (considering the Comedian might be dead), yay for more apophenia;
-- this kind of silly game would normally be way too trivial for anyone to believe it's actually from Manhattan, but whatevs.

PUZZLE 4 - BAIT - Sent to Scotty. It turns out it influenced him, so I'm proud of this one.

-- I sent Scotty, via the Host, an mp3 file named "БТСЦ"
-- title of the mp3 file is cyrillic for "BTSC"
-- the audio is fully reversed and needs to be undone in order to be listened properly
-- the file is a combination of radio stock static, different others sources and a spoken text
-- I asked an internet/PA friend (some of you may know him as Brian or JJLetho from ProgArchives) to record himself reading the text, because my English accent is pretty butts
-- the text is supposed to be a BTSC fragment from the mafia team:

"Well, that was one hell of a backfire... I told you it was a bad idea for espers to tap out so suddenly, even if he missed a few days... too many replacements during that day to seem credible... good effort anyway, ika, going crazy on everyone was probably the only thing you could have done. anyway, I think the best thing right now is to keep the pressure and everyone's attention [on MP]... with some luck, everyone will hound him and he'll go down... his read on me yesterday was [so crazy]... but hopefully I'll calm the waters and make him seem unreasonable... my vote on espers looks so good, after all... I'll use that cred to my advantage... I'll do my best to survive for as long as possible, guys..."

-- further radio static is juxtaposed between some of the sentences or covering important details in the second half of the text, such as "MP", for the sake of confusion - it hints at Russtifinko as Big Figure, of course, but, with the proper editing, it ends up a bit more vague [Scotty thought it was Eloh, hah!]
-- the text, of course, is completely fabricated and intended as bait, to influence Scotty's gameplay
-- other notable, but entirely irrelevant, audio excerpts added to the mix include the catchphrase "Rorschach's Journal" cut from his first monologue in the movie, electro-acoustic or static noise bits by Ryoki Ikeda (various albums), Jeph Jarman ("Matterings", 2015) and Keith Rowe ("September", which you may recall I also used in Puzzle 1), classical bits from Dvorak's Piano Quintet and Stravinsky's Petrushka, Manfred Man's "There She Goes" and Espers' "Moon Occults the Sun" (which is tongue-in-cheek for espers' mafia role)

I don't think there's much more to add about the purpose of this puzzle and its main bait. I took a gamble with that much alleged BTSC content, since roles of this kind don't usually intercept more than a sentence, but I thought the incentive would be high enough, should Scotty decipher the audio properly, in order to believe that the Mafia might have been intercepted and subsequently influence perhaps Scotty's game. Oh, did I mention that it worked?!

PUZZLE 5 - BAIT - Sent to G-Man, poor lad

-- I sent G-Man, via the Host, two jpg files titled "Pic1" and "Pic2"
-- both pics contain material written on a dirty paper template background
-- Pic1 contains a written text and the instruction to decode it, whilst Pic2 contains a sequence of numbers
-- the instruction at the bottom right of Pic1 was added simply to not torture G-Man more than necessary by wrongly using ROT forwards [which would normally be the right way to use ROT, except that I completely screwed up and wrote the cipher so that it needs to be rotated backwards, gah!]
-- the sequence of numbers in Pic2 matches the word and letter counts of the text in Pic1. It means that each letter needs to be rotated (backwards) according to its corresponding number in the sequence in order to be deciphered
-- however, the text is almost one entire massive ruse, because it's a "lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" template
-- I used a lorem ipsum online generator to generate the text and I banged my hands on the keyboard to generate the sequence of numbers; I did however manually rotate (the wrong fucking way, too!!) each letter in the text, for reasons of insanity
-- what this text does contain, however, is a four-word actual message, each word hidden in each paragraph of the lorem ipsum bullshit text
-- to not torture G-Man more than necessary [although, from the looks of it, he didn't even notice] the first three words of the message were rotated intentionally to create another legible word: "upstep" (paragraph 1), "pay" (paragraph 2) and "timmer" (paragraph 3). The word "timmer" was especially created to capture the target's attention towards what the message could be.
-- nevertheless, to still torture G-Man in some way, the legible word appearing in the fourth paragraph (nightkill - even more incentive to make the target curious, or even imply something, since timmer/juliets was NK'd) is actually bait, since it rotates into a nonsensical form. The word that, rotated correctly, reveals the fourth word of the real message, is the nonsensical "BEQOKWMJV", situated slightly earlier in the paragraph
-- the four words of the real message, if rotated correctly, are UPSTEP => MOLOCH | PAY => HAS | TIMMER => SEEMER | BEQOKWMJV => ABILITIES

The message was basically intended to bait G-Man into thinking the statement is true and potentially mess up with his reads. The timing seemed right at that stage in the game, when Moloch was hard to trace - although, given that G-Man was suspected as a Moloch candidate, it risked being rendered null, in case G-Man was indeed Moloch and was aware of his abilities.

PUZZLE 6 - BAIT - Sent to Rico... err wait hold on

What puzzle? :dark:

I intentionally took a break from sending puzzles, because with MP gone (and his role revealed), I didn't want to risk making people believe I could be the only potential actively player to manufacture these types of puzzles - well, there was also G-Man, but... I announced the Host I wouldn't be sending a puzzle that Night and on D7 I made the fake announcement of receiving one. It would also help me not be perceived as Ozymandias (in case players were wondering), since self-targetting was regarded as inconceivable. The message I said in the thread I uncovered was something I simply thought off, without any real basis. If I would have sent it to someone else, it probably would have read "Moloch only needs the former Minutemen and the Watchmen dead" - this was my hint, in the thread, at a more "subtle general win con", compared to the rest of the field.

PUZZLE 7 - FLUFF - Sent to Cookie

-- I sent Cookie, via the Host, a pdf file titled "red err sun"
-- the title is an anagram of "Surrender"
-- the pdf contains 12 pages, modified or not, extracted from a virtual copy of the Watchmen comic that I have
-- in an alternative sequence, 6 pages were an image of a clock with blood slowly pooring from the top of the page (they look to me like the back cover of distinct volumes of the comic, but I could be wrong and they could be fan art, added to the mix) and 6 pages from the comic
-- the latter pages were modified so that they highlighted only a panel, with the face of a Watchman member (one page for each of the six Watchmen), while the rest is covered in red
-- each Watchman panel also has a modified text in the dialogue bubble, compared to the original dialogue in the comic; unfortunately I couldn't find a free version of Dave Gibbons' original fonts (and I sure wasn't going to pay 39 bucks to acquire them!), so I used a lookalike VLC Letterer Pro font
-- almost* every modified text was transcribed from a game post made by every living (at that time) player
-- each modified text has a bolded word that is part of the real message of this puzzle; the bolded words are not in the right order
-- rearranged, the real message of the puzzle is "You are not fooling anyone anymore"

Without any real knowledge if Cookie was or not a baddie, the message was nevertheless intended to mess up with her game and intimidate her. The "Surrender" anagram in the pdf title was also appropriate for this.

PUZZLE 8 - BAIT - Sent to G-Man, alas he died the same night

-- I sent G-Man, via the host, six items, out of which five were put in a zip; these five pictures were also encrypted with a password
-- the title of the first jpg file and the five zip files indicate the passwords that need to be entered to unlock the next picture in the sequence; they're also numbered, to not screw up the sequence
-- the first item is a jpg called "beast"; it is a old representation of the demon beast Moloch (with its name also appearing written on top); thus, the password to the next picture was "moloch"
-- the second item is a jpg put in a zip called "maker"; the pic itself is called "syracuse"; it is a painting by Giulio Parigi of Archimedes' parabolic reflectors allegedly used to burn ships attacking Syracuse; Giulio Parigi's name is written in morse code on the bottom of the painting, to hint at the painting's origin and meaning; the connection is that Moloch also tried to built a sun mirror weapon, until his plan was foiled by the Minutemen; but the "maker" is neither him, nor Parigi for the painting, but Archimedes' for creating the original sun mirrors; thus, the password to the next picture was "Archimedes" (caps sensitive)
-- the third item is a jpg put in a zip called "number"; the pic itself is called "inletters", hinting at the "number"; it depicts a scene from the Watchmen movie when Rorschach first checks on Moloch; I was hoping a number of Moloch's apartment would be detectable, alas not, so I referred instead to the "XXX" letters in the porn movie announcement, left on the screen; XXX, "in (roman) letters", is thirty; thus, the password to the next picture was "thirty"
-- the fourth item is a jpg put in a zip called "time"; the pic itself is called "isup", hinting at the location of the item to be deciphered; it depicts a scene when Molock opens the fridge in his kitchen; up ("isup" -> "is up") on the wall, right to him, is a clock; the time reads 8:20pm; thus, the password to the next picture was "twentypasteight"
-- the fifth item is a jpg put in a zip called "identity"; the pic itself is called "duh", hinting at the sillyness and simplicity of the puzzle; it is a text written in Watchmen font, on a blue (Manhattan) background, that says "Moloch is _____ ______ (duh)"; contrary to this being an indication of who plays Moloch's role in the game, but simply what is Moloch's name in the comic; the fact that Edgar Jacobi isn't actually his real name is a mere technicality; thus, the password to the final item was "edgarjacobi"
-- the sixth item is an avi put in a zip called "answer"; the avi itself is called "omg"; it is a video of a mountain marmot eating a carrot, because why not
-- therefore, the real message of this puzzle is "Moloch is a mountain marmot eating a carrot"... err I mean "Moloch is MetalMarsh"

The message was basically intended to bait G-Man into thinking the statement is true and potentially make him vote for MM. Him getting killed made the whole plan flop. Even if I was wrong about MM being Moloch, the puzzle having its effect and making MM further get votes would have suited me nevertheless, since I needed the Comedian gone.

PUZZLE 9 - BAIT - Sent to Made

-- I sent Made, via the Host, a PowerPoint show called "Presentation1" (I got lazy with the titles)
-- it contains two slides, one with a movie clip, the second with the avatars of the other remaining players, besides him
-- the movie clip is a mix of the "bloodied midnight clock" from the comic and a short scene from the movie with each of the Watchmen, over which an excerpt from The Doors' "The End" is played
-- the movie clip is irrelevant, except for setting the atmosphere of a gloomy endgame
-- the avatars in the second slide each contain a hyperlink (activated upon mouse click) to certain pictures on the internet, meant to imply the real identities of the players
-- Russ' avatar links to a gif of Ozymandias
-- DDL's avatar links to a picture of the actor playing Moloch being interviewed
-- Rico's avatar links to a picture of Bernard the News Vendor taken from the wiki page of the character (only thing I could find)

The message was intended to bait Made into thinking these identities are real and potentially make him vote for DDL as Moloch. Of course, I deliberately cast myself as the more reliable Bernard and Russ as Ozymandias. I also started fearing DDL might be Manhattan, whom I also needed gone, so the bait worked in that interest as well. If Made was Moloch, the message could still have worked as an "interpretation" of the identities, seemingly sent to him by Russ.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Actually, the Night 9 kill. The one that failed yesterday. Or it didn't get sent at all?
LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

My power use: I LD-ed G-Man on a post where he said he wasn't Moloch. Night 3 maybe (it was a night Rorsharch could be checking me). But then I doubted my own results because I figured Moloch might be check-proof.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I love how consistent Ozymandias role was with the comic. He killed the Comedian, made a very elaborate ploy to make Manhattan go away, and framed Rorsrach to make him go to jail. How did I not stop to think of that?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

DharmaHelper wrote:
Golden wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
In fairness, your vote was sketchy.
In fairness - you created a poll in which I was virtually a guaranteed lynch with no information except one sketchy vote...

And I was a cop.

:disappoint:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Actually, the Night 9 kill. The one that failed yesterday. Or it didn't get sent at all?
Russ chose not to kill.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Actually, the Night 9 kill. The one that failed yesterday. Or it didn't get sent at all?
Russ chose not to kill.
Awww yisss. :biggrin:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I hope you all enjoyed the unusual host posts. I had a lot of fun making those. They were a test run for the game Long Con and I plan to run, Arkham Mafia, in which we will combine my recording skills with Long Con's graphic prowess to make an immersive experience.

I hope my side of it all held up for you!

If you were looking for a lighter, but no less intense, Mafia experience, my son is making his hosting debut in Angry Birds Mafia (I'll be helping him out!). Sign up and get angry!
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 192

Post by G-Man »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Ugh, the Elo debacle. Yeah, that was a mistake. It was a gambit, really, since I thought I was soon dead meat, people were finding my noncommital and floppy behavior suspicious, and I couldn't get any luck with tracking at night. N1 I track Scotty, he dies. N2, no result, I thought, 'fuck'.

Finally we had luck with Cookie the night right BEFORE I got lynched, but I was silenced and couldn't even hint about it. :haha:

Poetic justice after lynching a silenced Elo, I suppose.

For the record, the reason I was playing particularly washy was because I knew, as a tracker, I would eventually have good information. I just never got it.
MovingPictures07 wrote:No, we never tracked Elo. I really thought she was bad and was willing to pull a gambit -- if I was right, then boom, my tracker partner and I were still both alive. If I was wrong, then it gave me another night to check, since otherwise I likely would have been lynched D5.

I tracked juliets N3.

Scotty tracked me on N4.

MovingPictures07 wrote:I didn't even consider a genuine possibility for why G-Man was so sure.
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:- Did G-Man actually have info on Eloh? Was the bet a dirty one? lol
:shifty: Heh. MP, you can remove the signature regarding our bet if you wish. I made a dirty bet with you. I had just found out Night 4 that Elo was Joey. Elohcin went in alphabetical order: Night 1, she said she wasn't Bass; Night 2, she said she wasn't Cookie; Night 3, she said she wasn't Dragon (okay to skip DharmaHelper because he was lynched Day 3); and Night 4, she said she wasn't G-Man, skipping over herself.

I had been waiting for Joey to skip a name because that would mean Joey was that player. Sure enough, the day I knew Elohcin was innocent was the day MP07 decided to go all guns blazing on her. Had I had another day to work with, I could have come up with reasons for Elo to be trustworthy. Having been peed on by MP07 in Economics, though, I knew nothing was going to stop him. Thus, I decided to knock him down a peg by taking him up on his rhetorical bet. It was a dirty bet all the way but at least I got to re-write a little House of Pain:
G-Man wrote:I'll spam your ass like Rob Soloway
If you vote Elo, I'm looking your way
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
And just like the Prodigal Son I've returned
Anyone betting with me- you'll get burned
'Cause I got stats but you ain't got none
If you come to battle bring a shotgun
But if you do you're a fool, 'cause I duel to the death
Trying to step to me you'll take your last breath
I got the skill, come get your fill
'Cause when I place my vote, I vote to kill
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

The host post style was excelent.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 178
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Ricochet wrote:

Exactly.

I figured Scotty was my partner for sure after I had no result N2 and then a result on N4. Then when he started defending me subtly after the N4 result, I knew 100% it was him.

It's possible he thought I had info on Elo that he didn't get to see (i.e., N3) and that's why he followed me.
Ding ding ding.

Being away for 2 days and coming back in was a blur. I honestly skimmed days 2 and 3, and found that MP seemed the most out of place. Of course he was my partner. If I had been alive for those 3 days I probably would have tracked him N2 and gotten confirmation earlier, and maybe this game would have ended differently..

So coming back for Day 4, and knowing MP didn't do anything on N4 after tracking him, I knew he had to be either the Comedian or my partner.

Night 4, Ozy sent me this brilliantly done audio message that was so hard to hear, and concurrently needed to be played backwards. I spent like 45 minutes trying to listen to that shit.

Fucking Ozy. Puzzles are my kryptonite.

But here's the funny thing:
The message sounded so much like mafia chit-chat talking about ika's blowing up and such. Then it said distinctly that "he made a read on me yesterday so I'm going to make him look bad," followed by "I voted for espers to get some cred."

So me, in my dimly lit, World War 2 backwoods bunker thought "oh yis" and went to town looking at who might be attempting to frame someone that day, and who voted for espers.

It was all legit hogwash. However. That piece directly led me to either Elo and Cookie. So while Rico had given me false information, it actually led me to a little more conviction for those 2. But MP had done a biopic on why Elo was bad that night after, and Elo was avidly defending herself- so much so that it made MP look bad- so I was like, "GOTCHA" and, assuming MP had some info from one of the nights I missed, voted with him. It just seemed to fit.

Big kudos for Rico. He played me well.

N5 MP tracked Cookie and saw she targeted 2 People: Rico and MM. And then I found out MM was silenced, so...there ya go. Obvious for me, but a lynch was led against MP for some reason.

If I hadn't been silenced Day 7, I would have built more of a case against Cookie and maybe we could have bought ourselves some time.

Derf silencing me and Comedian killing me...well...you guys chose poorly. But hey, hindsight is 20/20.

I really do appreciate DDL for bringing me back. That was incredibly helpful for the time I had to spend with my partner.

I tracked DDL Night 6 and it said he targeted Ninjablooper, which made me go all Scooby Doo. So I knew you were Manhattan. But there was little I could do that following night, when no one heeded my advice. Cookie was toast by that point, but then I knew I was as well. My last speculation was that Moloch "is someone who looks the most civ." Which was hardly DDL. I knew it was either Russ or Rico as Moloch. I actually thought it was Rico til the end. Russ was a complete mystery to me, and he played a brilliant game as well.

Thanks for blowing up my brain with this game, Epi. It felt really immersive and your technical expertise was sure fun to witness! :beer: Here's an obscure stout from Germany in your honor.

If I could go back and change one thing of my play, it would be not to piss off MM day 1 when he's a vigi ;)

Good game all!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Ugh, the Elo debacle. Yeah, that was a mistake. It was a gambit, really, since I thought I was soon dead meat, people were finding my noncommital and floppy behavior suspicious, and I couldn't get any luck with tracking at night. N1 I track Scotty, he dies. N2, no result, I thought, 'fuck'.

Finally we had luck with Cookie the night right BEFORE I got lynched, but I was silenced and couldn't even hint about it. :haha:

Poetic justice after lynching a silenced Elo, I suppose.

For the record, the reason I was playing particularly washy was because I knew, as a tracker, I would eventually have good information. I just never got it.
MovingPictures07 wrote:No, we never tracked Elo. I really thought she was bad and was willing to pull a gambit -- if I was right, then boom, my tracker partner and I were still both alive. If I was wrong, then it gave me another night to check, since otherwise I likely would have been lynched D5.

I tracked juliets N3.

Scotty tracked me on N4.

MovingPictures07 wrote:I didn't even consider a genuine possibility for why G-Man was so sure.
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:- Did G-Man actually have info on Eloh? Was the bet a dirty one? lol
:shifty: Heh. MP, you can remove the signature regarding our bet if you wish. I made a dirty bet with you. I had just found out Night 4 that Elo was Joey. Elohcin went in alphabetical order: Night 1, she said she wasn't Bass; Night 2, she said she wasn't Cookie; Night 3, she said she wasn't Dragon (okay to skip DharmaHelper because he was lynched Day 3); and Night 4, she said she wasn't G-Man, skipping over herself.

I had been waiting for Joey to skip a name because that would mean Joey was that player. Sure enough, the day I knew Elohcin was innocent was the day MP07 decided to go all guns blazing on her. Had I had another day to work with, I could have come up with reasons for Elo to be trustworthy. Having been peed on by MP07 in Economics, though, I knew nothing was going to stop him. Thus, I decided to knock him down a peg by taking him up on his rhetorical bet. It was a dirty bet all the way but at least I got to re-write a little House of Pain:
G-Man wrote:I'll spam your ass like Rob Soloway
If you vote Elo, I'm looking your way
And just like the Prodigal Son I've returned
Anyone betting with me- you'll get burned
'Cause I got stats but you ain't got none
If you come to battle bring a shotgun
But if you do you're a fool, 'cause I duel to the death
Trying to step to me you'll take your last breath
I got the skill, come get your fill
'Cause when I place my vote, I vote to kill