Whatcha Watchin? (Spoiler Free)

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Social Moderators

DharmaHelper
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Isolate Posts by DharmaHelper

Re: Whatcha Watchin? (Spoiler Free)

Post by DharmaHelper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm

All goofs and gifs aside, Negan and especially JDM's version of Negan is way too good of a character for TWD
our Linkitis is our lives.

#BroughtBackThePoliticsThread

Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official

Isolate Posts by Fredwood

Post by Fredwood » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:47 pm

nutella wrote:In case y'all weren't aware s3e1 of Rick and Morty came out and it's excellent :D
Oh shit, I watched that reenactment of that crazy judge and prisoner interaction in Georgia like 40 times waiting for a new ep to come out. I almost don't want to watch it because it will be over too soon.
Was I the same as when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I am not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I?

Golden
The Coward

Isolate Posts by Golden

Post by Golden » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 pm

I've been watching the Korean show the Genuis (2 seasons through now), after having been reliably informed it was the best reality competition show ever made. I have to say that I agree, it's been a really enjoyable experience. It doesn't even bother me that I have to read subtitles since everyone is speaking in Korean, because the show keeps me hooked.

If anyone decides to watch it, let me know. It might end up being worth it's own thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwIgWPfNvc
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Isolate Posts by S~V~S

Post by S~V~S » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Final season of Orphan Black starts tonight.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Ricochet
call for help

Isolate Posts by Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:08 am

Meanwhile, Master of None is pretty amazing (and bingeable in its entirety on Netflix, as always). Must be something in the water for these 2nd seasons...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Tranq
The Mark

Isolate Posts by Tranq

Post by Tranq » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:40 pm

nutella
Money Launderer

Isolate Posts by nutella

Post by nutella » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 am

S~V~S wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 pm
Final season of Orphan Black starts tonight.
Oh man I've sort of forgotten about that show!! I totally LOVED it for the first couple seasons but now I can't even remember when/which season I watched it last. :blush: Should try to catch up.
Ricochet wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:08 am
Meanwhile, Master of None is pretty amazing (and bingeable in its entirety on Netflix, as always). Must be something in the water for these 2nd seasons...
Yeee the boyfriend and I love Master of None. We just finished season 2 a few days ago and I have to say I don't think it was overall as good as season 1, but it had some strong points.

Aaaand I have to catch up on the new season of OITNB as well, thanks for reminding me (was so upset at the end of last season though :sigh: ). Also House of Cards. :omg: I'd love to convince my bf to catch up on the previous seasons of HoC with me since he hasn't seen it (and I'd like to rewatch it anyway) but we have such a long list of things we want to watch and never get around to anyway.
triangles are my favorite shape
three points where two lines meet

http://www.last.fm/user/nutella23
http://ofmonstersandmintcookies.tumblr.com

Image Image Image Image Image

Ricochet
call for help

Post by Ricochet » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 am

I think Season 2's manner of dealing with particular topics (religion in family; online dating malaise; coming out in family) were hallmarks of smart, senseful writing. I sort of liked the Francesca romance way more than the Rachel one. Season 1 felt more quirky and swaggy. Season 2 felt like packing more real feels. My one wish would have been for more episodes set in Italy. I liked the idea of Dev taking an exodus abroad. I disliked that they timejumped that whole process and were forced to head back into NYC for their usual urban social skits and such. But seriously, this was overall great.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

nutella
Money Launderer

Isolate Posts by nutella

Post by nutella » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Yeah, I thought the first half of the season was great, as was the Denise episode. But I got really sick of the Francesca arc by those last two long-as-fuck episodes that just dragged on. And the whole Chef Jeff thing was fucking awful.
triangles are my favorite shape
three points where two lines meet

http://www.last.fm/user/nutella23
http://ofmonstersandmintcookies.tumblr.com

Image Image Image Image Image

Ricochet
call for help

Post by Ricochet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:52 pm

So I finished watching the first season of The Handmaid's Tale, a Hulu adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel. It was overall quite good, although, despite me being seemingly attracted to dystopian works in general and this show pumping serious, brutal doses of somber drama, I almost feel guilty for not feeling it was that gripping (I'm probably too desensitized).

If I were to recall Epignosis' complaints (stated once in Discord, I believe) about Atwood having the ideas, but struggling with pushing them till the end in her novels, I'd say the same issues of execution exist in the series. Being done in the American TV tradition of a 10-episode season bulk, that probably didn't even exhaust the book material and will now head into a second season, I'd say it had some stretchmarks, complete with backstories on each character midway through the season and such. Plus, if the first, say, three episodes or so are really tight, afterwards I felt with each episode a sort of tonal mellowing. The show exhibited both finesse (bleak, minimalistic art direction and visuals combined with the most striking, wild-ranging gamut of expressions and emotions via close-ups; very meaningful thematic juxtapositions of plot and backstory, adding weight to the individual episodes; dry, sharp humour to balance the gloom) and a few rough patches (with the exception of a handful of episodes, every other felt like they couldn't land an ending - tonally off and overdone; also, while the original score bits were excellently broody - think Enemy or Arrival - the insertion of songs / singles / schlagers were overkill and on-the-nose).

The performances were likely the strongest element of the show - you have Elisabeth Moss of Mad Men fame and Samira Wiley from Orange is the New Black, plus absolutely breakout stuff from Alexis Bledel (breaking out of her Gilmore Girly shell), Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck) and Madeleine Brewer (also Orange is the New Black). Plus, I feel this show would be worth recommending just for Ann Dowd's most spinechilling display of magnificence to date (making her Patti in Leftovers Grumpy Cat by comparison).

So yeah, well done and relevant all in all, but could have been a tad more subtle with its style, while at it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I agree with you.

Made
Money Launderer

Isolate Posts by Made

Post by Made » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Finally Started Game of Thrones. Season 1 was good. I finally understand the hype. Watching it with a friend, and I think my favorite part of the show is not really the show itself, but how fun it is to talk about. The show also weirdly reminds me off the office I work in <_<

This summer I also finished Luke Cage, worth the watch for the sake of defenders coming out at the end of the summer. Not game of thrones but worth the watch.

Iron Fist is a different story. The characters motives are silly, and the conflict are silly and unwarrented, and feel like they could be resolved if people just talked to each other. I didn't finish it, and i think i might just wiki the show instead of watching the rest tbh <_<

Finished Izombie season3. If you digged Veronica Mars, this show is definitely for you. I feel like it's one of those shows that if I were to describe it would sound really stupid, but the characters are fun, and don't take themselves too seriously unless it earns it's warranted. Probably my favorite show i've watch all summer.

Finished Season 3 of House of Cards. I get why people might call it slow, but I enjoyed the political focus this season's had. Less stuff happens this season, but save a redemption plot line that goes wayyy long than it aught to, it's watchable.

Think that's about everything I've watched this summer so far. Productive/10

Spacedaisy
Femme Fatale

Isolate Posts by Spacedaisy

Post by Spacedaisy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I started watching 11.22.63 the other day. I am intrigued, but not in love.

Golden
The Coward

Isolate Posts by Golden

Post by Golden » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Spacedaisy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm
The book is better.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward

Epignosis
Skeletor

Isolate Posts by Epignosis

Post by Epignosis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Gotham is

++++
getting sadly predictable. Bruce Wayne kills Alfred with the Lazarus Pit sitting right in the background. The directors are clearly trying to get OMGs from people who know as little of the canon as horses know of religion. Nobody ever dies and stays dead. Fish / Jerome / Mayor G. / and I assume Alfred is next to join the zombies. Very unimpressive.

JaggedJimmyJay
The Consigliere

Isolate Posts by JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Spacedaisy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm
I though the show was just alright, but I am in love with the actress who plays Sadie.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Isolate Posts by Dragon D. Luffy

Post by Dragon D. Luffy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Watching Steven Universe.

I was skeptical about it, but the reviews were overwhelmingly good so I had to try.

So I heard the show only started getting good at ep. 25. Fine. I decided to brace through it. But the first 24 episodes were pretty good. They were focused on comedy, but it was comedy like the old 90s Cartoon Network shows, and the best ones. Silly and creative in surreal ways. So it was pretty fun to watch them.

Then I passed that mark, got through a pretty good midseason climax, and after that, the show came back to episodic plots. But while it didn't suddenly get epic or dramatic, the stories started getting more mature and the character development started getting really good. This could be described as "Heartwarming: The Show". You want to feel good, watch Steven Universe. Most episodes start with silly plots, then they turn into something serious that gets resolved in the cutest way possible. We have a setting that is pretty dark but there are those characters who manage to stick together and overcome their weaknesses despite the odds, and a protagonist who lacks amazing fighting powers but is lovable and creative and innocent enough to somehow make everything work.

Now I'm at episode 45, getting to the season finale, which I hear it's pretty epic again. I recommend this show.