Rate the last movie you've seen

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 15

Rate the last movie you've seen

Post by insertnamehere »

Skyfall

I think this is definitely the best Bond film in my opinion, great performances by Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, and Javier Bardem. Great cinematography and direction also.

9.5/10
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Spoiler: show

Image Image Image
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Re: Rate the last movie you've seen

Post by bea »

I hear so many great things about skyfell from sooooo many Bond fans. I can't wait to see it! (Sadly, my sweetie is not a Bond fan, so this one is all me when I can see it on my own. :( )

Last movie I saw was "The Hobbit." - it was entertaining. I'm saddened by the fact that for some reason we need to stretch the shortest of Tolkin's books to 3 movies. I can't quiet decide if this is because I hate waiting for things, or if I fear the stretching will somehow take away the power of the story. I'm guessing it's a mix of both. As for the movie itself - when the story was moving along, it was awesome. Everything else felt like the filler it was.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
DFaraday
Money Launderer

Post by DFaraday »

bea wrote:I hear so many great things about skyfell from sooooo many Bond fans. I can't wait to see it! (Sadly, my sweetie is not a Bond fan, so this one is all me when I can see it on my own. :( )

Last movie I saw was "The Hobbit." - it was entertaining. I'm saddened by the fact that for some reason we need to stretch the shortest of Tolkin's books to 3 movies. I can't quiet decide if this is because I hate waiting for things, or if I fear the stretching will somehow take away the power of the story. I'm guessing it's a mix of both. As for the movie itself - when the story was moving along, it was awesome. Everything else felt like the filler it was.
I think I liked the Hobbit a little more than you, since I liked the lighter tone, so stuff like the Dwarves singing as they do the dishes was cool to me.

Last movie I went to the theater to see was Les Mis. Loved it. I even didn't mind Russell Crowe. 10/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Kate
LAMIST Supatown
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Kate »

So I've been sick a lot lately, so lots of Netflix...I watched heathers. Still a great freaking campy and creepy and could actually happen. You know what I mean if you were a mean girl in the 90s :(
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 11

Post by A Person »

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 8/10
It was crazy, yo.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 9

Post by thellama73 »

I don't go to see new movies much anymore because I have become hopelessly snobbish and hate everything. However, I went to see the indie film Kon-Tiki and quite enjoyed it. Some of the editing is sloppy, but overall it's a really enjoyable adventure story. 7.5/10
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 14
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

I saw Cheerful Weather for the Wedding last night, which was mildly engaging but a bit stuffy and sleepy. Some good performances mixed amongst the blander ones.

6/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

insertnamehere wrote:Skyfall

I think this is definitely the best Bond film in my opinion, great performances by Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, and Javier Bardem. Great cinematography and direction also.

9.5/10
I've been reading on Cinema Blend et al. that now Sam Mendes may indeed be back to direct the next Bond. I sure hope so!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I saw A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III last night. It's by Roman Coppola, who is Sofia's brother and Francis Ford's son. You'd think being friends with Wes Anderson would give Roman some great directorial skills, but that was hardly the case. I found this film nearly unwatchable despite its very cinematically-solvent cast (P Arquette/B Murray/J Schwartzman).

Here's hoping Roman will get his sea legs.

3/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Rust & Bone, starring Marion Cotillard and the guy from Bullhead. Pretty good but weird pacing, especially in the last act.

7.5/10
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Last week I saw Three Extremes by Fruit Chan, Park Chan-wook, and Takashi Miike. It too was crazy yo. Overall I'd rate it 9/10 but Takashi Miike and Fruit Chan's shorts were my favorites.
I also saw the new Star Trek film and it was entertaining, but it's not the kind of film you should think about too much. Three and a half stars, really.
Atavachron
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Atavachron »

Jack Reacher

Small-budgeted but tightly rendered crime thriller has Tom Cruise as an ex-army investigator culled to help find a sniper. Reminiscent of Steve McQueen's better work in Bullitt and The Hunter, Reacher is a refreshing change for Cruise after endless Mission:Impossibles, features the stunning Rosamund Pike, Robert Duvall in a good supporting part, Werner Herzog as a chilling villain, and the best non-Asian fight scenes in recent memory. Decent popcorn flick.
I will show you where I have made my home whilst preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I saw the new Farrelly Bros movie, Movie 43. It has one billion famous A-listers in it. Some of the concepts were pretty good, but the execution was usually lacking. It was better than an episode of SNL lately though.

I give it a hard 6 because I enjoyed it even though it was somewhat crappy.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
boo
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

Saw This is the End today. Probably the funniest (new) movie I've seen since the first Hangover (and better, because Michael Cera blowing coke into someone's face was fantastic).

I just liked the general not-taking-themselves-seriously (both in terms of main cast and cameos) of it. You can tell they were stoned out of their minds when they wrote it, and it works.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Epignosis »

I watched Django Unchained last night and I liked it a good bit, despite the (probably deliberate) goofiness of the gunfights and the ending.

That scene about the masks...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Today I saw No, starring Gael Garcia Bernal. It's about the "No Campaign" which tried to oust Pinochet back in the 80s. I liked it a lot, and I think it's important historically, so I would recommend in despite (because of?) the minimalist cinematography.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

I saw Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing last week. I have been a fan of the Kenneth Branagh version, but would now recommend seeing this one too. It is nothing like the other version. I know the movie is getting some flack for being unpolished, but I really enjoyed watching through the first time. I have been debating whether it will hold up for multiple viewings.

Filmed in 12 days at Whedon's house with many Whedon World actors, it was enjoyable just to see them in different roles. Also they did a good job making the jokes in the play understandable. If you don't know the plot I would recommend a quick summary read, so things are a bit clearer.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Hedgeowl wrote:I saw Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing last week. I have been a fan of the Kenneth Branagh version, but would now recommend seeing this one too. It is nothing like the other version. I know the movie is getting some flack for being unpolished, but I really enjoyed watching through the first time. I have been debating whether it will hold up for multiple viewings.

Filmed in 12 days at Whedon's house with many Whedon World actors, it was enjoyable just to see them in different roles. Also they did a good job making the jokes in the play understandable. If you don't know the plot I would recommend a quick summary read, so things are a bit clearer.
oh my good god. Wasn't that magical? I saw it at the historic Tampa Theatre, which is worth a visit to all y'all who might come to this rea from out of town.

I just saw Pacific Rim. It's very ID4 meets Godzilla meets Rock Em Sock Em Robots, but it's a fun enough ride. You can tell it was del Toro behind it, because of the patina'd look of the metal that you see in Hellboy and even more historical fare like Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

I just saw Cloverfield. It was alright, but I would have liked it more if I cared about the characters more I think.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 9

Post by thellama73 »

Just saw a documentary called The Imposter about a guy who pretends to be a missing kid from Texas. Chilling.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:Just saw a documentary called The Imposter about a guy who pretends to be a missing kid from Texas. Chilling.
Oh man, that was an intense film!!! Are you watching it on Netflix Instant? We are about to watch My Amityville Horror (a doc about the real haunting) on there now.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by timmer »

Elysium - just like every other movie this summer, it suffers from too much poorly constructed action, and not enough buildup. The movie hits 10 on the intensity scale about 30 minutes in and never eases off, which makes the film a bit exhausting. That said, Sharlto Copely, from District 9 and A-Team, makes for a wonderfully batshit crazy bad guy. Even if I can only understand 1 out of every 4th word he says.
My siggie.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I am teaching cinema studies this year, and I could not have asked for a more thoughtful class, big as it is. 30 kids- but Jesus, they are so fun. I could not even get through the Syllabus yesterday before they went to arguing about what the title of "The Butterfly Effect" meant.

I made sure they understood by the end of the class. :noble:

So stoked.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Also, Disney doesn't excite me often, but holy hell, I want to see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maleficent_%28film%29
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Epignosis wrote:I am teaching cinema studies this year, and I could not have asked for a more thoughtful class, big as it is. 30 kids- but Jesus, they are so fun. I could not even get through the Syllabus yesterday before they went to arguing about what the title of "The Butterfly Effect" meant.

I made sure they understood by the end of the class. :noble:

So stoked.
Re: Cinema Studies -- Are you showing them A Sound of Thunder? It was in development hell for years, but I was stoked to see it when it finally came out. I find it a terrible version of the source material though.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

God, I'd love to teach a film studies class. Or even attend one.

Speaking of movies, in about two weeks I find out if I've been given press credentials for the Vancouver Film Fest. :noble:
My siggie.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

timmer wrote:God, I'd love to teach a film studies class. Or even attend one.

Speaking of movies, in about two weeks I find out if I've been given press credentials for the Vancouver Film Fest. :noble:
Timmer - Being outraged with me - the Film Studies course at the college where I work - it does not even have New Wave on it.

The last movie I saw was The Sapphires. It's Australian and is about 4 Aboriginal girls (3 sisters and a cousin) who sing Motown and Soul hits for the troops in Vietnam. It's not Dreamgirls + Jindabyne though; it's so much richer than that. Chris O'Dowd takes a evocative turn at their manager, and I loved seeing him play a more "straight" role.

Also I am of course jealous of the possibilities of your press credentials for Vancouver. It's on my bucket list. When I was still in the game, the only place I got press credentials for (of that caliber) was Savannah Film Fest, but Peter O'Toole was there, and I'll never forget that
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

BTW, I hope you will get to see Blue is the Warmest Color if it's playing there.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 8/10 - This is the storytelling standard I wish all summer blockbusters were held to.
My siggie.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I finally saw Snowpiercer. I loved the alleghory of transversing the train being like transvering social castes. I loved the references to Terry Gilliam (a character is named Gilliam and it will make you think of Brazil).

Well acted
Well paced
Well structured
Good cinematography
Okay SFX

The Ending WTF

an 8.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
DisgruntledPorcupine
Drug Dealer

Post by DisgruntledPorcupine »

I'll rate all the movies I've seen the last 4 days.

Man Bites Dog - 7/10

Jagten (The Hunt) - 10/10

Her - 9/10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 7/10

Synecdoche, New York - 11/10

Amour - 9/10

Needless to say I've made some amazing choices the past few days.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:
;airguitar: You, Sir.... know a thing or so.

Tonight, I watched Bicycle Thieves for maybe the third time. It's astonishing... :noble:
My siggie.
DisgruntledPorcupine
Drug Dealer

Post by DisgruntledPorcupine »

timmer wrote:
DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:
;airguitar: You, Sir.... know a thing or so.
I actually had to watch that one twice to really decide what my opinion was. The first time I watched it I knew I really liked it, but there were certain things I didn't get. My second watch I started really understanding and it's now up there with my all time favourites for sure.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:I'll rate all the movies I've seen the last 4 days.

Man Bites Dog - 7/10

Jagten (The Hunt) - 10/10

Her - 9/10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 7/10

Amour - 9/10

Needless to say I've made some amazing choices the past few days.

Well color me impressed.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Roxy
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

I just found a copy of Wonder Man in my little bookstore uptown yesterday. I watched it last night and ofc I have seen it before but it was still just so awesome and so "Danny Kaye" <3

His eyes and facial expressions make any movie he is in better. In know his movies are not well liked or thought of as crap but I like like crap B-rated movies :biggrin:
;)
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Just saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and though I wasn't amazed by it, it was a pretty good film. I probably would have been more impressed if it hadn't won the golden globes so I was expecting something magical.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Housebound

A New Zealand film that is both a serious horror film and a comedy. Odd combination, but I was entertained throughout. 7/10.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Trollhunter - Mongoose has been on me to watch this literally for over a year, so when it was recommended to me on Netflix I remembered it and gave it a shot. I loved the mix of horror and fantasy, it kept me in a state of suspense and awe. The rural Norwegian landscapes are painfully beautiful, and it's easily my favorite found footage film so far. It was a great film all around. It made use of well worn tropes but didn't really suffer because of it, I only was slightly distracted a few times when it felt a bit "movieish". I was a little sad when the credits rolled because I wanted to believe it was a real documentary. 8/10

I also recently watched Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary. It was good, it made me cry a lot. I want to read the book now. Last week I watched Through a Glass Darkly as well, but I am not even sure what to say about that yet.

Tonight I'm watching Nymphomaniac, but I'll probably finish that tomorrow.
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I've not been able to stay awake long enough to watch a movie for like 2 weeks now. I made it most of the way through the Roger Ebert doc. I tried really hard and even crying, was just too damn tired.

I'm that woman now - the one that falls asleep as soon as she sits down to watch something. :sigh:
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 27

Post by G-Man »

Fifty Shades of Grey- As controversial as the books and film are, I was surprised at how boring this movie is. I never read the book and cannot envision myself ever doing so, given that the poor script is considered to be an improvement over the book's prose. I expected it to be either a guilty pleasure or like Showgirls- so bad it's funny. It was neither.

Poor and forgettable.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Pickpocket - My first Bresson film. The first thing that struck me about it was how it reminded me of Camus' The Stranger, both in tone and plot. The protagonists goes through each in a strange emotionless way, as if their actions are outside of their control. It causes me to not necessarily empathize with them as characters, but rather I had the feeling that I was watching them. And in the end, when they finally facing the fate they couldn't help but make for themselves, they have a single outburst. Pickpocket's is particularly famous, and I can see why. It almost made me want to rewatch the film in light of it. Despite Bresson's desire for unperformancelike performances from his actors, I really liked Martin LaSalle as the main character Michel, he projects a sense of innocence that perhaps does not make him an enduring protagonist due to Bresson's style, but makes his actions in the film all the more interesting. Despite appreciating it's qualities as a film, and being a fan of the sort of stripped back approach it has in common with directors that I love, like Ozu for example, I wasn't super enamored with it and only rate it 7/10 with regards to personal enjoyment. But I do suspect I'll find something else of his I like more.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

American Sniper- Holy cow was this movie intense. It's definitely not a pro-war propaganda-esque he-man war film. Clint Eastwood knows how to make a great film. I think it's a better depiction of PTSD and how war becomes something like a drug to some soldiers than The Hurt Locker. Hands down a great movie. Not sure how I'd rate it on my scale yet, but definitely great.
My Banners:
RadicalFuzz
The Mark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RadicalFuzz »

I work at a Studio Movie Grill, so I'm gonna be in here a lot, disclaimer.

Saw the Scorch Trials. Was really impressed with the first Maze Runner movie, so I had moderately high hopes for this one. It didn't disappoint, but it didn't blow me out of the water. A few scenes the main character would stand around shining his light at the approaching enemies for like 10 seconds, and it felt like the character in the movie was only doing that to give the audience a better camera shot, which is a bit annoying. Really good length at 130 minutes, and there's not very much "filler" where you feel your time is wasted, so that's a big plus. On a scale of 1-10, with 5 being average, I'd give it a 7. Not gonna be a movie I remember 10 years and strive to watch again, but it's a well-made movie.
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 12

Post by a2thezebra »

The Walk - 8/10

Great film that flows beautifully and spends just the right amount of time with every scene and each character. The ending, not just the walk (that goes without saying), but the end of the monologue that flows through the film's entirety, is especially powerful.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 72

Post by Ricochet »

Oh, hey, I like watching movies!

I was worried that, at only 44 posts, this thread doesn't have enough Mongoose in it, but then I checked the first page and the ratio is still pretty alright. :biggrin:

I watched these movies last week:

Bergman's Winter Light (I should learn by heart its original name: Nattvardsgasterna). Piss-poor job I did to really focus on watching this, so a rewatch is compulsory, nonetheless there were gripping scenes even for such a superficial viewing. Seems intimate, profound and classic Bergman.

Avengers. Age of Ultron. Ugh, can it really be called bad? Thing is, I watched it for purposes of munching popcorn and tortilla chips, and even then the entertainment value felt pretty flat. The cast keeps expanding and the latest additions didn't impress me much. This particular franchise feels like it's about to explode completely out of proportions and lose any sense of direction. Meh/10

The Tribe or Plemya. Dangerously good movie, in its gimmick, realism and formalism - it's completely in sign language (and as far as I understand, Ukrainian sign language is pretty distinct on its own), with no subtitles, no nothing, so basically it's bound to redefine what watching a movie is supposed to mean!! - however I'm ultimately disappointed in the approach to the story: miserabilism, fairly hardcore violence and scenes, probably some moral deep within about inherent human cruelty, anyway stuff that should send chills down your spine, but also feeling ugly and shocking for the sake of ugliness and shock and quite exploitative. 6/10

One night Denis Villeneuve's Enemy was on TV and I didn't object to not change the channel and seeing it again. One of my favourite movies of 2013. Not only a good, if unsophisticated adaptation of Saramago's The Double, but also adding some new psychological extra details on its own. It's bleak, introverted and abstract, but for me it still works. With Villeneuve's oeuvre (Incendies, Prisoners, this one) now enrichened with Sicario, I'm starting to feel he can become one of my favourite current directors. 7/10

Stop Making Sense. Tina 10/10. Cool stuff otherwise, especially the Psycho Killer number.

Audition - wat. I was surprisingly less spooked or disturbed by the last 30 minutes (in a horror-shit-my-pants manner or anything) and it was still a bloody weird and near incomprehensible experience. The build up to all that is good, if only very slow and with several scenes feeling really hasty B-movie shlock-like (I mean, this is considered to be his masterpiece and the guy still made 4 or 5 more movies in that same year!). Anyway, I have no idea what I think of this / 10

Third Person (on TV) - oh god this pissed me off big time. First of all, Paul Haggis (Crash), the Oscar winner one) is completely obsessed with multi-story plots and filmmaking (he did the same in this year's Show Me a Hero TV series, which was ok). The film is pretty bland and soapy on its own, but then it lands a "tweeest" that I was stupid enough not to figure out from the freaking title of the movie, but it still made me go berserk when it happened. Seriously, bad feels. 3/10

----

BTW, I have a group on FB for discussing movies, currently dead because nobody cares. But if any of you would like to join and liven it up a bit, lemme know. :beer:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- Not quite as good as the original but it had me laughing pretty regularly. Maggie Smith and Dev Patel get all the best lines even though Judi Dench is sort of the film's anchor role. I'm usually not a Richard Gere fan but he was fine in his supporting role. The film doesn't do anything too outlandish, which is good. It's fun, thoughtful, and enjoyable. Just like the first one, this is a good date night kind of movie.

On my rating scale, I give a 3.5 out of 5
My Banners:
RadicalFuzz
The Mark

Post by RadicalFuzz »

Hotel Transylvania 2 was better-ish than I expected. I haven't seen the first one, but with the amount of alcohol I've had to run to showings I assumed it was bad. There were a few pretty funny parts but I was kinda disappointed by how the ending was handled. They build up a character the entire movie only for him to have a few lines and have literally less effect on the overall story than his henchmen.
RadicalFuzz
The Mark

Post by RadicalFuzz »

Martian was pretty good. Lots of the monologues felt appropriate, he would be creating a video log as opposed to just talking to himself, and the movie wasn't bogged down with crazy amounts of "I'm the only man on Mars dear god why" depression. A few characters were introduced by name for the five minutes they affected the story and then promptly forgotten about. The characters the movie spends time on, however, feel pretty complete. Really solid, you feel empathy for Damon, and that's what sells the movie.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I went to watch Pan in the movies a few days ago. The film had terrible reviews and the premise sounded stupid, so I went with zero expectations. What I can say is... it's not that bad.

Well, it's incredibly cliche. Some of the actors are clearly in the wrong movie. The plot has multiple flaws. But the action scenes are pretty damn cool. I gotta give it, a battle between Luftwaffe and a Flying Pirate Ship was something I needed in my life and did not know. The final battle is also pretty cool. And though it has some bad acting, the acting for Cap. Hook and Blackbeard are pretty good, specially the later. The guy is incredibly hammy, and in a good way.

So 5/10, because it managed to entertain me, and I wasn't expecting anything more than that. Go watch it if you need some cheap fun.

Later on I watched Divergent at home. Based on a book series for young adults about a dystopia, which seems to be all the rage nowadays. Well, I actually liked the movie. Most of it. The plot is good, albeit very unrealistic, but it's original. Most of the acting is okay (the main character and the villain, mostly). My main problem with it is that the plot takes too long to start rolling. Like, WAY too long. The first act takes over half of the movie. It starts well, but at some point you just wish those characters stopped training and SOMETHING started happening. The second act is good but everything happens incredibly fast. And then we are at the third act which is the best part of the movie.

Compared to Hunger Games, I like the first HG movie a lot more. But Hunger Games, in subsequent films, quickly deteriorated into a story about one of the most useless protagonists I've ever seen. Divergent actually has a protagonist that shows she can quick ass, and she can do that even if there is no survival game going on. I actually have faith for the other movies in the series even though there some bad reviews.

So 7/10.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

RadicalFuzz wrote:Martian was pretty good. Lots of the monologues felt appropriate, he would be creating a video log as opposed to just talking to himself, and the movie wasn't bogged down with crazy amounts of "I'm the only man on Mars dear god why" depression. A few characters were introduced by name for the five minutes they affected the story and then promptly forgotten about. The characters the movie spends time on, however, feel pretty complete. Really solid, you feel empathy for Damon, and that's what sells the movie.
I loved The Martian. I had read the book, which was quite good, and the movie was totally true to it and brought the story to life in a terrifying, awe-inspiring way that brought me to tears more than once. Definitely recommend it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Tinsel Town”