T W I N P E A K S {Season 3: May 21st}

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 32

Re: T W I N P E A K S {Season 3: May 21st}

Post by Ricochet »

Diane, blablabla
Spoiler: show
Season 2, Episode 2 felt like the weakest of the Lynch-directed episodes (I've no doubt the finale will leave up to at least some expectations, so I'm calling it now). In my post on s2e01 that I've fudged, I noted having had the same inevitable gripes with his style of discourse and connecting with me as a watcher - for which "hey man, you couldn't see stuff like this on television back in those days" argument is just not sufficient -- but in retrospect now, I'll take even that heavily stretchmarked scene with The Waiter over much from this episode. The most notable stuff was probably the scene in which James, Donna and Maddy sing a song and I've no idea what that was for at all. Or the times BOB shows up - who seems to be pushed to "shit-getting-real" levels now - another thing I mentioned about s2e01 that was lost was how 2spooky its last two minutes were. :scared:

Season 2, Episode 3, 'The Man Behind the Glass'... mucho mejor. Firstly I thought the screenplay was really sharp, with lines and moments that just stuck on landing. That Albert-Truman exchange was just what the shit. XD Even Hawk's snarky quips together with Lucy and Richard caught me chuckling. Characters were introduced in a way that was explainable -- except for maybe that Asian stalking dude (Lynch, bro, if you're going to add a tertiary Asian strange character, you need to have him steal the show right away and then vanish... look, like The Coens did).

Bless you, James, it took you three episodes to notice stuff about Donna changing, that I did ever since the first episode of the season. On that note, the new J - D - M love triangle is not something I'd label as desirable, but I suppose it is inevitable for the soapy substrata of this show (and lo and behold, they plunged right into it this episode) - also probably speaks of how people start reflecting the image of Laura onto Maddy, or how Maddy herself might get enamoured with being the substitute of her lookalike icon, who knows.

Audrey being stuck for so long at One Eyed Jacks is also something I'm not enjoying to the fullest, mostly because I feel Audrey is a character needs to be out there, everywhere, anywhere, the way she was in season 1; on the other hand, she's probably now used as the female token descending in the same dark place as Laura once did. The plot advance here is just too slow, simply because Cooper is dumb or distracted at figuring out (surely the tuxedo bit should have tipped him off that he wore it not only at the Northern), with nothing truly alarming happening to Audrey in the process either. Oh, she was gagged this episode? And nothing else? Oh my, what danger.

Holy frak that Nadine scene. Finally something to remember her other than the Tarantino throwback (or is it... throw-... forward?).

MIKE's reappearance in the episode only reminded me of the most bugging question that I forget about from one episode to the next... where da hell happened to Mike?

Honestly, one of the best eps overall from those I've watched.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Diane, I went biking this past Sunday and my nose, back of the neck and wrists now look like they've been ironed over. Most unpleasant. Sometimes I go out with the mental preparation and wisdom of a 12 year old... but more importantly, frak u sun :meany:
Season 2, Episode 4, "Laura Secret Diary" was something I felt no need to write anything about, on Monday. I was half asleep for a little slept Sunday night, anyway.

Season 2, Episode 5, " The Orchirds Curse" was more like it, although I was surprised to stumble upon a review on A.V. Club that was among the first in the series to be labeled as a stinkeroo. I felt it was fairly good, it had the power and focus to push along. Not perfect, though, I didn't care for the sellsman slapstick stuff or Leland's "trial" scene at whatever tavern that was shot in - which also seemed poorly mixed at times, the judge sounded like he was recorded from inside bathroom or something. Although I did find it funny that Sid, the clerk lady, acted as both, well, the clerk during the trial and then as a bartender during the respiro. And that the judge's judging skills were about as sharp as asking the cops what he should do.

Also kek to the notion of Leo being still kept alive in the show (the old coma / vegetative state ploy in the book), yet being so disgraced as to just show up in pictures, never in actual scenes.

Can we ascertain already that, if Season 1's stereotype was Nordic countries, Season 2 is Asian peeps? And always linked with Benjamin Horne or his inn bizz, lol. Lynch & co. seem to be going zero fucks with this.

Andy keeps testing my patience as the comic relief, but that being said, I liked his "I'm a whole damn town" line. The stuff with Lucy is sheer telenova, the stuff which I can't imagine a serious fella like Lynch give any damns about, but I suppose the other writers are driving it through the usual tropes.

Despite my expectations, Harold and the scenes in his house continue to bring a solid flow and atmosphere, there's been some tense stuff in this episode (and Donna's been given creepy lines to work with, the stuff only Audrey used to receive back in Season 1), even with all the inevitable clumsiness that Donna and Maddy's plotting prompted. When Harold got sick exiting his house, it did make me wonder if it's just his exhibited psych disorder or his confined to this place by a voodoo, outside force. Even so, now that Harold decided to scratch his face with a rake and ketchup sauce, I'm hoping for a quick resolution here. In vain, probably, but oh well...

And speaking of resolutions, the show finally found a way to make Cooper realize Audrey's at Jacks and finally go rescue her. I was amused by the telenova string of treatchery and backstab between Jean, Blackie, whoever that other woman was and Hank, but I suppose it comes with the territory.

Oh shizzles, COOP GUT PUNCHING A WOMAN. e d g y t v

I seem to be talking by myself in here lately.
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 27

Post by insertnamehere »

Spoilers for 2x05
First off, sorry for not being able to keep up with your updates. I'll attempt to provide more reliably constant smirkingly informed commentary from here on out.

Those places look pretty damn picturesque. And the graveyard is especially appropriate for the part of the series you're getting close to.

Jack Nance, the actor who played Pete Martell, was a goddamn national treasure and should be revered for time immemorial. He also died in a donut shop fist fight, appropriately enough.

Gonna be honest, I unabashedly love the two intentionally offputting Lynch directed sequences in the first two episodes of season 2- the long scene with the waiter, and the "Just You" performance followed by the BOB attack.

RE: Senor Droolcup, allow me to quote myself.
insertnamehere wrote:You have to realize the context here. Against all rational logic, Twin Peaks is a hit television show and a bona fide national phenomenon, to the surprise of everyone, especially Lynch himself. He opens the second season by poking fans who desperately want resolution to the cliffhangers directly in the eye. About half of the viewing audience flipped the channel after the first 30 minutes of the Season 2 premiere, which feels like an intentional move on Lynch's part.

For me personally, I laugh my ass off every time I see that uber-long, bizarre exchange while Cooper's bleeding out on the floor. Something about it speaks to my sense of humor, idk.
The "Just You" scene and the chaser of BOB vaulting over the couch also work in the super duper sincere and super duper fucked up vein of the show. YMMV, obviously, but all of Lynch's directoral quirks just work for me.

Episode 2x03 is one of better non-Lynch episodes, definitely. Nice Coen Brothers reference. Now there's a filmography that could be easily suited for mafia.

This is about when the show loses the plot with Audrey. She just kinda got stuck at One Eyed Jack's until she became mostly irrelevant.

Leo's character becomes ten times more ridiculous and ten times more interesting in Season 2.

The Harold plot is a nice little contained performance and bit of entertaining stalling.

Also, Rico, WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THE LITTLE MAGICIAN BOY WITH THE CREAMED CORN

C'mon, you gotta have something to say about that.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

insertnamehere wrote: Those places look pretty damn picturesque. And the graveyard is especially appropriate for the part of the series you're getting close to.
The graveyard's stairs is where I sat and watched the season 1 finale. :grin: I didn't spot any passerbies taking pictures of me, like a weird exhibit, though.
insertnamehere wrote: Jack Nance, the actor who played Pete Martell, was a goddamn national treasure and should be revered for time immemorial. He also died in a donut shop fist fight, appropriately enough.
You're making this us. Good lord. Anyway, you're replying to something concerning the s1 cliffhanger, and Pete has been fine since, so I will still get to enjoy him a bit longer. He's the kind of relative I would have liked to tell me bedtime stories. For one, he would have made the funniest voices, hence awesome. For two, the stories would have taken seven hours, considering how slow he talks, hence double awesome.
insertnamehere wrote: Gonna be honest, I unabashedly love the two intentionally offputting Lynch directed sequences in the first two episodes of season 2- the long scene with the waiter, and the "Just You" performance followed by the BOB attack.
Well, consider me to be a half and half, then. The Giant, but not The Waiter. BOB freaking me out, but not whatever non-sequitur song or shtick is also in the mix. I forgot to state that the "Just You" song also made my eyebrow raise towards Badalamenti having perhaps gone in search for a new tune pivot in the show, instead of having the same two or three. But then, in later episodes, I didn't sense any OST shift in accompanying the JDM triangle at any stage, so I guess the song was just... put... in there. Hrmpf.
insertnamehere wrote: This is about when the show loses the plot with Audrey. She just kinda got stuck at One Eyed Jack's until she became mostly irrelevant.
Gah, this sucks.
insertnamehere wrote: Also, Rico, WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THE LITTLE MAGICIAN BOY WITH THE CREAMED CORN
Theeee...........

Yeah, you should tell by now that thing flew by me.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote:
insertnamehere wrote: Jack Nance, the actor who played Pete Martell, was a goddamn national treasure and should be revered for time immemorial. He also died in a donut shop fist fight, appropriately enough.
You're making this us. Good lord. Anyway, you're replying to something concerning the s1 cliffhanger, and Pete has been fine since, so I will still get to enjoy him a bit longer. He's the kind of relative I would have liked to tell me bedtime stories. For one, he would have made the funniest voices, hence awesome. For two, the stories would have taken seven hours, considering how slow he talks, hence double awesome.
He plays the main character in Eraserhead, and also has roles in Lynch's Wild At Heart, Lost Highway, and (wink wink, nudge nudge) Blue Velvet.
Ricochet wrote:
insertnamehere wrote: Also, Rico, WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THE LITTLE MAGICIAN BOY WITH THE CREAMED CORN
Theeee...........

Yeah, you should tell by now that thing flew by me.
This scene:

And yes, that's David Lynch's son. It looks eerily like a miniature version of him.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

D.

Season 2, Episode 6, "Demons"
I'll be swift, because I'm writing this at 3am, nearly two days after having watched it, according to regular schedule. Was good overall and sketchy at the same time:

Harold denounment, following last ep's cliffhanger, took a fast dive into shlock, but it was to be expected.
This episode had too much James in it.
insertnamehere wrote:Leo's character becomes ten times more ridiculous and ten times more interesting in Season 2.
I did not expect, nor requested this to get into motion this quickly. Frak.

This episode was also quite Ben Horne heavy, but in ways the scenes held up in significance or simple parlé.
Leland going singy songy, cuckoo lulu again wasn't as strong as that dance shtick with the Icelanders, but two thirds of the routine was still delectable.
Strong finish, getting darkly serious with MIKE. This show needs no-more-goofing-around scenes, at this point.

idk what else. what else... wh-

fire cringe with me
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Diane... I'm scared.
Whoa boy.

So let's not kid around, "Lonely Souls" was all about its last 15 minutes. And how convincingly so. For one, during the early stages, I was ready to shoot it down for its filler contents and especially their lenghts - a whole lot of minutes with Leo & Bobby or with Nadine & Ed, jesus. Most of the set pieces felt in fact lenghty; not your average two-line exchanges.

But then the second half happened and I declare myself more than "appeased", so to speak. Such surreal transitions between the events at the Roadhouse and the Palmers' residence. As for the latter... grueling. It's like Lynch went all in. It's a small detail in this whole wretched chemistry, but pretty sure I don't want to hear anything alike Leland's shout inflexion in "going back to Missoula, MONTANAAAA" ever again. There were moments in which I genuinely shivered. So good stuff, ya got me here, Lynch old sport, pulling the rug like that after 20 minutes of bore. I even knew beforehand that this episode had important, revelatory stuff and still didn't expect it to go down like this. And the very end scene afterwards, with everyone breaking down at the Roundhouse. Just... what...

Further stray observations:

I'm not even going to pretend having a clue, what was up with the horse.

holy shit Mike suddenly returned. wat! did he had homework to do for a season and a half or something?

LMAO I was confident Tojimura was someone in drag, but it never crossed my mind it could've been Catherine. For a while, I thought Josie could be up to stunts. (Wait a minute, where did "Tojimura" get five millions to pass it to Benji?)

Another element I felt was long-winded and incessant early on was the background music. It just went on and on and on, over everything (and anything) that was happening or what the characters were talking - only to do then cut dry to, ironically, non-music, as it was only the sound of vinyl spinning freely, during the murder scene. Not sure what the actual intent was with this, but, in line with my train of thought regarding the tone switch during the last stretch, I have an inkling of a feeling that Lynch was keen to bore us with the first half of the episode and weigh everything down on us - filler scenes, banal or quirky casual dynamics and background music galore - only to then take a sharp turn into serious and cutthroat territory.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Twine Beaks comments postponed until site issues are fixed and spoiler tags can function again (o god all my writing is now locked). I will continue to watch, according to schedule.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Hey Rico, you watching this crazy shit?
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Yeah.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I still can't get over how some of the actors nail the same friggin inflexion after 25 years of actual life.

Lucy pls
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

On the other hand, though... the reverse speeches (or whatever it is)used to be better made than this. Sherry Lee sounded real good at it. But now in ep2 her lines sounded like shit.

And wouldnt you know, the only actor who was actually skilled at it got into an edgy feud and was replaced with a tree. Blargh.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm On the other hand, though... the reverse speeches (or whatever it is)used to be better made than this. Sherry Lee sounded real good at it. But now in ep2 her lines sounded like shit.

And wouldnt you know, the only actor who was actually skilled at it got into an edgy feud and was replaced with a tree. Blargh.
Eh. The "...yet I live" and screaming parts were enough to convince me that Sheryl Lee's still got it.

As far as Mike Anderson goes...
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

me at having to wait another week to see Laura Dern as Diane with that bitchin haircut

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Diane!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Stanton better hit 100 years, god bless him. I don't remember anything about his character, though. Wasn't he in the shitty part of FWWM?

Also, I can't express how well the outro songs hit the mood here, compared to Lefty's juxebox covers shuffle idea for S3 intros.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.

THIS IS THE WATER, AND THIS IS THE WELL. DRINK FULL, AND DESCEND.
THE HORSE IS THE WHITE OF THE EYES, AND DARK WITHIN.

i love this show so fucking much.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

whoo boi. what in all fucks

I guess the world needed a doppelganger of Tree of Life and Satantango, with a bit of Scott Walker, Penderecki and The Caretaker in the mix
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I CLAPPED, I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW AUDREY

I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW TWIN PEAKS

I KNOW WHAT THAT IIIIIIIIS
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:43 pm I CLAPPED, I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW AUDREY

I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW TWIN PEAKS

I KNOW WHAT THAT IIIIIIIIS
Yeaaah, this was probably my least favorite episode of The Return, Sarah Palmer and CEILING FAN aside.

Stalling in a painfully self-aware way. The sweeping scene from Part 7 writ into an entire episode.

But hey, at least we still know that Grace Zabriskie is a fucking great actress, if "BRUTAL FUCKING MURDER" didn't convince you.

(seriously, wtf was with that Audrey scene. In one way, it's Lynch giving the middle finger to people expecting fanservice like you describe, by putting Audrey in some clearly unhappy marriage with the little dude from The Path. On the other hand, jesus fucking christ David Lynch we don't need ten more goddamn plotlines about people we don't know. And yes, I know that you know that, and you're choosing to do them anyway, but self-awareness doesn't make mediocrity somehow legitimate.) *cough cough emoji posting*

Still greatly enjoying the show, but I can't help but be thankful I saw the first two seasons on Netflix, and could just get through the less-than-stellar parts without waiting a week in-between.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

still the best line reading of all time
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I played Binding of Isaac during it. That's how I can sum it up.

(I didn't win)
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

The very last shot of The Return will be Leo still clinging to that piece of rope with his teeth, after 25 years.

Screenshot this.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Diane,

I've been away for the past 25 years, but I'm back and banging your step-sister now.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Good night, Margaret.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

My reaction to this weeks' episode:

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

lyl
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

well

part 17 was fantastic, loved every second

part 18...

well

it's gonna take me a while to formulate an opinion.

We waited twenty five years for Season 3 to resolve the cliffhangers from Seasons 1 & 2.

Hopefully we won't have to wait that long for the cliffhangers from Season 3 to be resolved. Because...I have some questions.

A lot of fucking questions.

But shit, no other movie or television show in a long while made me this invested, even if Part 18 is an epilogue which potentially invalidates the entire series

If there's no Season 4, and there's no plans for a Season 4, I'll have to just stand and applaud for the sheer testicle size that it takes to produce Part 18.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

welp

Return to “Tinsel Town”