Can We Talk About Mulan For A Second?

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 7

Can We Talk About Mulan For A Second?

Post by DharmaHelper »

I dunno how to fit this into anything but its own thread but I've had this thought for the longest and I need some other thoughts on it I guess.

Am I tripping or is Mulan about a transgender woman?
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Can We Talk About Mulan For A Second?

Post by Golden »

I'd need to read the source material. I don't think Disneys version is though. I think it's about gender stereotyping. In some ways, if it is about a transgender woman, I think that would undermine the message about gender stereotyping significantly.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Golden wrote:I'd need to read the source material. I don't think Disneys version is though. I think it's about gender stereotyping. In some ways, if it is about a transgender woman, I think that would undermine the message about gender stereotyping significantly.
I mean the Disney Movie, if that wasn't clear from my opening post, sorry. See, I dunno. Maybe you're right and it's just about gender stereotyping. But this song has some interesting context if you think about it from a trans perspective:

I dunno, I just thought about it since a lot of people give Disney shit for no queer/LGBTQ+ representation within their stuff, and it's like...Mulan in retrospect seems pretty LGBTQ+ to me.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

(Yes I get that dressing like a man, or in the case of the soldiers later in the film, dressing like a woman doesn't make you trans but they ARE Disney after all it's not like they were going to get into the weeds)

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

i don't think it's incumbent on Disney to represent everyone anyway. It's up to Disney. I find it frustrating that Elsa turns into some icon for representation - why? Let Elsa be who she is.

But then I often have issues with public activism. But there's no doubt it is important sometimes. So what do I know.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Golden wrote:i don't think it's incumbent on Disney to represent everyone anyway. It's up to Disney. I find it frustrating that Elsa turns into some icon for representation - why? Let Elsa be who she is.

But then I often have issues with public activism. But there's no doubt it is important sometimes. So what do I know.
I get what you mean. It's sort of a minefield topic really. Just as an example:

Say I wrote a comic book with a main character who, through their actions, implied or strongly hinted at not being heterosexual. Suddenly I'd have people on both sides saying different things. On the one hand, you'd have people who are up in arms about a "gay" comic book character, and on the other you'd have people from the gay community or the LGBTQ+ community or whatever trying to put a "label" on a character they had no hand in making. I, as the author, would just prefer people let the media speak for itself and not put a label one way or the other on it, because people get pissed way to easily on both sides.

Which, to my larger point, I guess means that, from my perspective I see Disney's Mulan as having transgender themes. I don't know if I'd be 100% comfortable saying Mulan the character is transgender, but I'm pretty sure she's not...what's the word... gender normative?

I dunno. I don't want to say "This is who she is" or w/e.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I completely agree. I've considered scriptwriting as a career at times, and I've always felt that my vision is mine. Characters enter my head whole. If I start writing a character based on demographic traits such as sexual identity, I'm starting in the wrong place as the writer.

I also think it's good writing if you can interpret things differently, so the fact you are able to have this take on Milan and I can see how you got there without seeing it the same way is a sign of good characterisation I think.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Golden wrote:I completely agree. I've considered scriptwriting as a career at times, and I've always felt that my vision is mine. Characters enter my head whole. If I start writing a character based on demographic traits such as sexual identity, I'm starting in the wrong place as the writer.

I also think it's good writing if you can interpret things differently, so the fact you are able to have this take on Milan and I can see how you got there without seeing it the same way is a sign of good characterisation I think.
The same way I can see the themes of gender role/identity you were talking about and agree on that :bighug:

Also you should write.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

DharmaHelper wrote:Also you should write.
Moving to the USA to try to get into a competitive and insecure industry, for which I will be paid much less.... in the end that just doesn't appeal. Even though I have two more or less completely formed TV shows in my head.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A Person »

DharmaHelper wrote:
Golden wrote:I'd need to read the source material. I don't think Disneys version is though. I think it's about gender stereotyping. In some ways, if it is about a transgender woman, I think that would undermine the message about gender stereotyping significantly.
I mean the Disney Movie, if that wasn't clear from my opening post, sorry. See, I dunno. Maybe you're right and it's just about gender stereotyping. But this song has some interesting context if you think about it from a trans perspective:

I dunno, I just thought about it since a lot of people give Disney shit for no queer/LGBTQ+ representation within their stuff, and it's like...Mulan in retrospect seems pretty LGBTQ+ to me.
I don't know about Disney's intentions and don't think it is particularly purposeful myself, but I do know that song is appreciated by some trans people.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 1

Post by S~V~S »

Even if Disney did not intend it that way, I view Milan that way.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:Even if Disney did not intend it that way, I view Milan that way.
You had the same phone autocorrect fail that I did. C'mon, phone, why don't you know who Mulan is!
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Epignosis »

Mulan was born a person but now identifies as a place.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote:Mulan was born a person but now identifies as a place.
Fine, that was funny.

ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

As a writer, I like to let readers interpret things however they like. In some cases, I feel like when the Word of God tells readers "things are this way and only this way" it can limit enjoyment. For example, there is a character in one of my novels (which one? I'm not telling! You have to buy them and read them.) that I wrote with the intention that he was homosexual, but I never came out and said it explicitly. If readers pick up on it, great. If not, that's fine too.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

thellama73 wrote:As a writer, I like to let readers interpret things however they like. In some cases, I feel like when the Word of God tells readers "things are this way and only this way" it can limit enjoyment. For example, there is a character in one of my novels (which one? I'm not telling! You have to buy them and read them.) that I wrote with the intention that he was homosexual, but I never came out and said it explicitly. If readers pick up on it, great. If not, that's fine too.
All right, Salinger.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A Person »

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

thellama73 wrote:As a writer, I like to let readers interpret things however they like. In some cases, I feel like when the Word of God tells readers "things are this way and only this way" it can limit enjoyment. For example, there is a character in one of my novels (which one? I'm not telling! You have to buy them and read them.) that I wrote with the intention that he was homosexual, but I never came out and said it explicitly. If readers pick up on it, great. If not, that's fine too.
I tried a similar approach with my screenplay starring Detective Gaylord Liberalpants.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

DharmaHelper wrote:
I tried a similar approach with my screenplay starring Detective Gaylord Liberalpants.
Was he the guy who caught Dick Suckermcanus?

Great story, but the prison scenes were rough, :disappoint:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Eh, the original Chinese story isn't, and I doubt the Disney one is too, but all forms of art are open to interpretation.

Return to “Tinsel Town”