LOST

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 22

Re: LOST

Post by S~V~S »

I always thought Sun was a hypocrite, once you started seeing her back story. Jin became what he did for her. When she planned to run away, she should have taken him with her. They BOTH needed to escape her father. Jin did not become her Dads goon becasue he liked it, he did it for her. So she could have the life she had. In their culture he behaved traditionally, and if you look at Sun & Jin from that perspective, he becomes more sympathetic, and she less in my eyes.

She is my least favorite main character.

Who are you alls least favorite Losties?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by timmer »

Least fave? Jack, lol.
My siggie.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G-Man »

Even though they tried to soften her up with her death-episode flashback, I never found myself missing Shannon after she was gone. I understand the purpose of Ana Lucia but I never liked her character either. I maybe approached empathy with her but she wasn't a character who was made to last.

I also thought that Claire and Charlie got lame. Charlie got a bit stale in Season 2 and only really got interesting in Season 3 because of Desmond's flashes. Claire was cool through Season 2. Season 3 she was just background blah. Par Avion was a lame episode in my book, at least the Claire-focused parts. I still found myself feeling meh towards her in Season 6.

I loved Jin and Sun's arc through the series. My wife and I were livid when they died. They overcame their personal failings as husband and wife and finally got their chance to live for each other but then died with each other. It sucked how they kept getting pulled apart (Season 1 & 2- the raft; Season 4, 5 & 6- the bomb/timewarp Island). I've always said that the showrunners never knew what to do with them, big picture wise. They made up but then they were kept apart. When they got back together, they weren't allowed to live happily ever after because the Island was supposed to be the most important place for everyone in the afterlife. As a father, I am sad that Jin never got to be a father to his daughter. With both of them dying, their poor little girl is probably being raised by Sun's horrible mother and father.

Someone mentioned the music from Lost earlier. I love the incidental music. Powerful stuff. Movie quality stuff. I own every season soundtrack and the two-disc set for the last couple episodes.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Watching Tabula Rasa now. Some thoughts:

Jack and his incessant need to play savior annoys me every time. Sorry for you Jack fans. But I loved how insightful Sawyer was in the fuselage. Is it a good idea to use up medicine on a dead man. It would be a tough decision to make in that situation.

Surely John Locke could understand why it might seem creepy when an old guy tells a little boy a "secret" that he shouldn't tell his dad. I never cared much for Michael, but I can't blame him for hating Locke, lol. I would have thought the guy was a weird old pedo if I heard that from my kid too.

Awkward Sun/Michael moment. I don't know about you all but my first reaction when being interrupted in a state of undress is not to just stand there explosed. I'd be leaping to cover up real fast. Trust me, I've had my moment. In a dressing room at a outdoor and sporting goods store buying a new swimsuit. Really damn awkward, lol. I felt like this storyline was a bit forced, I was glad when they got away from it.

I always was rooting for Kate and Sawyer. Jack was the guy Kate wanted to be right for, Sawyer was the guy she really was right for. Until Juliet came along, then I was like just say no to Kate!!! I don't like Kate. But I love Sawyer. I love all manner of sarcasm and snark.

Why didn't Ray just pull over. Why drive next to the marshall? That was just dramatic writing right there. LOL, it was great when his arm came off though! I did feel for Kate during the crash though, what's worse than being in a horrific plane crash? Being handcuffed to the chair in front of you through it all, of course! Talk about being helpless and terrified!

The sunrise and sunset scenes are so gorgeous. Makes me want to be in Hawaii.

This game of I want to know what Kate did, I don't care what Kate did. And I want to tell Jack what I did, it's none of Jack's damn business what I did, gets old too.

I must apologize now to the Kate and Jack fans, you will hear a lot of complaining about them from me.

I love that musical ending. The way Jin looks at Sun makes up for his douche-bagery in the last episode. :insertluffsmiliehere:

So yeah Kate and Jack are clearly my least favorite. Never cared for Ana Lucia either.

I agree with the assessment of Sun and Jin. I have always much preferred Jin out of the two of them. Sun was pretty dark. Jin's major malfunction was his pride that kept him communicating honestly with his wife. There was a lot of yelling at the TV during Jin back story episodes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Golden »

I never minded Kate as much as other people. Her flashback episodes were usually the weakest, though, so I don't think that helped. Jack was definitely my least liked for most of the show, although season 5 and 6 Jack I didn't mind so much. He mellowed out.

I loved Henry Gale in season 2 but I didn't much like Ben's character in season 3 (or is it that I didn't like Locke's arc in season 3, and it was Ben's fault? Hard to say - the whole others thing just didn't work so well for me). Then he felt he regained his mojo in season 4.

I also didn't love Ana. Ilana and Charlotte could have been good if we'd had a proper flashback of them - in the end they both just felt wasted for the most part, although I never disliked either.

And here I will be at my most controversial... I wasn't much of a Juliet fan. I really liked her early season 3... possibly all of season 3, maybe. But, I never bought her romances with Jack OR Sawyer. Especially with Sawyer. I feel like the story would have benefitted from her getting off the island in season 4 and coming back somehow to help the end game but without her Sawyer relationship. I know I'm in a pretty sizable minority with that.

Otherwise, I liked all the major characters.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

I'd have listed Ana Lucia but I like to pretend that the tail section never existed. Easily the worst part of the show.
My siggie.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

timmer wrote:I'd have listed Ana Lucia but I like to pretend that the tail section never existed. Easily the worst part of the show.
But I really liked Mr Eko (until the actor ballsed it up) and Bernard.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Don't like Sun, Don't like Jack, Don't like Kate.

Like Boone better than Shannon, like Claire better than Charlie. Until she had the squirrel baby. That was weak. Loved Sayid, hated how they made him forget the intense torture related love of his life for...Shannon in Purgatory? :duds:

I utterly loathed Michael, and nothing ever happened to change that for me. I thought Ana Lucia was more interesting than Libby as a person, and hated that they never really finished Libbys backstory up.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

S~V~S wrote:I always thought Sun was a hypocrite, once you started seeing her back story. Jin became what he did for her. When she planned to run away, she should have taken him with her. They BOTH needed to escape her father. Jin did not become her Dads goon becasue he liked it, he did it for her. So she could have the life she had. In their culture he behaved traditionally, and if you look at Sun & Jin from that perspective, he becomes more sympathetic, and she less in my eyes.

She is my least favorite main character.
I disagree. :noble:

(what, that's not enough? alrighty then)

Sun is one of Lost's best examples of someone who was freed by the island. Sun grew up the daughter of a brutally violent business magnate, who seemed more like a mobster than a tycoon, in the middle of Korea, whose cultural traditions are very limiting to women who want to break free of gender roles. She was attracted to Jin because he was a genuinely good human being who hadn't grown up in the sea of amorality that she had. He also represented independence from what society expected of her, what with him being a humble fisherman's son and all.

Of course, this all comes to an end when Sun learns he'll be working for her father, who then proceeds to corrupt him much in the same way he corrupted her. When she looked at Jin, she didn't see the man that she wanted to marry, she saw her father. Also, Jin came home covered in blood, which is always a deal-breaker. Yes, he was trying to provide for her, but he went into dark Tony Soprano/Walter White territory to do it.

This plus the whole fertility kerfuffle basically ended all passion in the relationship, and Sun decided to get away from her father and his corrupting influence by running to America.

But, in the iconic scene we see from five or six different angles, at the plane ticket desk while Jack is desperately pleading about his father, Sun is reminded of Jin's core humanity when he whips out a flower, a reference to their courtship. She realizes that the man she loved still existed and chose not to run. Then, when flight 815 crashed, she ended up being able to escape her father after all.

I know I've basically recapped "House of the Rising Sun," (one of the worst episode titles) but I just read everything in their relationship in a completely different way than you did.

I think the worst thing either of them did was Jin committing suicide and abandoning Ji Yeon.

Now, my least favorite main characters, withstanding "fake" ones like Nikki, Paulo, or Illana, would have to be either Kate "Toy Plane" Austen, and Claire "Squirrel Baby" Littleton. Leaning towards Claire.

Claire's stock went down for me almost entirely due to the weird possessive codependent relationship she and Charlie had for a big chunk of the show. They were honestly my least favorite romantic pairing the show ever did, and were the center of my least favorite episode of Lost ever: "Fire + Water"
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

timmer wrote:I'd have listed Ana Lucia but I like to pretend that the tail section never existed. Easily the worst part of the show.
MR EKO FOREVER AND FOREVER
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Hurley

*runs*
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Really? Oh well, to each his own. I don't *love* Hurley like some do, but he was pretty cool :)

@INH. well, if we all liked all the same people/things, it would be a pretty boring world :)
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

The REALLY important question, obvs, is... who was your fave from a "hottie" perspective?

For me, Juliet and Shannon :blush: Guy-wise, I'd have to go Desmond or Jin.
My siggie.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Juliet and Penny
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Claire. It was always Claire.

Honorable mention to the version of Eloise Hawking that was in Jughead.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

timmer wrote:The REALLY important question, obvs, is... who was your fave from a "hottie" perspective?

Daniel Faraday.

What can I say, I have a thing for scrawny nerds...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Spacedaisy wrote:
timmer wrote:The REALLY important question, obvs, is... who was your fave from a "hottie" perspective?

Daniel Faraday.

What can I say, I have a thing for scrawny nerds...
I always liked Daniel too! But he is second behind Des to me. These are my number 1 and 2 favorite characters all around, and not just in attractiveness.
(keys actually has a shirt with Desmond and Daniel on it. It's how I knew we were meant to be. :noble: )

I have a harder time picking an attractive female character, because they are all so unattractive personality wise.
Golden wrote:And here I will be at my most controversial... I wasn't much of a Juliet fan. I really liked her early season 3... possibly all of season 3, maybe. But, I never bought her romances with Jack OR Sawyer. Especially with Sawyer. I feel like the story would have benefitted from her getting off the island in season 4 and coming back somehow to help the end game but without her Sawyer relationship. I know I'm in a pretty sizable minority with that.

Otherwise, I liked all the major characters.
I think this is why we became friends on STV all those years ago. XD :haha: I really can't stand Juliet.
Gro-oo-ovy
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

My wife LOATHED juliet. There was something about that sideways little smile she would do that she just hated, lol. Whereas I'd be next to her all :clap: :cloud9: :blush: :grin: .

She also hated Kate, and I didn't argue too much with her on that one.
My siggie.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I didn't like any of them. They all looked like they needed a bath.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Quin »

I had a go at rewatching LOST a few months back and got back up to season 3. I finished it the first time years ago.

I can't really remember what I did and didn't like about all the characters, which may be because I forget half the storyline or because character growth takes a backseat to other things, I couldn't tell you.

But I did love Sun, and Sawyer at parts. One of my favourites early on was Danielle.

I also loved Rose. Such a chill woman.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

These are my new 2 favorite things:

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

This is the version of Lost I feel we deserve, but don't need:

WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
tin man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tin man »

FYI the BEST lost character is Desmond and the WORST lost character is Jack :)

also, nikki and paulo's episode is a top 20 episode.

ALSO season ranking:

3 part 2 >1>4>5>2>3 part 1>6 i think. i may swap 1 and 3 pt 2 but to be REAL i haven't watched since the finale lmao
also i had to separate 3 into that weird section before the show took like a break or something?? idk but the first 6 episodes or so were lame but the end of season 3 is the show's peak i think.

BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigDamnHero »

There's a new comedy on TBS called WRECKED....watch it! HILARIOUS parody of Lost!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

tin man wrote:FYI the BEST lost character is Desmond
:nicenod:

I've been doing a little bit of a LOST rewatch. I recently started putting it on in the background while using my rowing machine. It's nice because I know it well so I don't have to pay too much attention, and ~40 minutes is the perfect amount of rowing time.

I've only gotten up to White Rabbit. What I've learned so far is that Kate episodes aren't any more enjoyable with added exercise. :puppy: And the Smoke Monster sound gets me pumped. Whenever it starts I go much faster. :feb:
Gro-oo-ovy
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigDamnHero »

fingersplints wrote:
tin man wrote:FYI the BEST lost character is Desmond
:nicenod:

I've been doing a little bit of a LOST rewatch. I recently started putting it on in the background while using my rowing machine. It's nice because I know it well so I don't have to pay too much attention, and ~40 minutes is the perfect amount of rowing time.

I've only gotten up to White Rabbit. What I've learned so far is that Kate episodes aren't any more enjoyable with added exercise. :puppy: And the Smoke Monster sound gets me pumped. Whenever it starts I go much faster. :feb:
Rowing faster won't help...it's stationary...it'll STILL catch you! :omg: :haha:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Happy LOST Day! Hard to believe it's been 12 years since the series premier.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Yeah, wow.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Today I discovered that Lost has the same birthday as one of my other very favourite shows, The West Wing! So I can celebrate both of them at once :)
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Oh nice!!
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Dom »

Add Friends to the list :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

So Annie and I did a rewatch over the last few months, and finally got to the finale this past weekend. To my incredible surprise, I actually liked it. I stayed away from rewatching the show for so long because I fell into the 'increasingly unhappy with the finale' side of the camp, but I just watched the show and stopped demanding all of the answers, and I liked it. I can't believe it.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:So Annie and I did a rewatch over the last few months, and finally got to the finale this past weekend. To my incredible surprise, I actually liked it. I stayed away from rewatching the show for so long because I fell into the 'increasingly unhappy with the finale' side of the camp, but I just watched the show and stopped demanding all of the answers, and I liked it. I can't believe it.
:haha:

I always liked it. Nice to have another person who has moved to my side of the ledger.

I don't think season six is the best season - too much filler for me. But I liked it's basic storyline and endpoint. I liked the flash-sideways. And I liked the much maligned Across The Sea, which was basically the writers way of saying 'we've given you answers, but you just ask more questions' - it set out their philosophy, and I was cool with it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:So Annie and I did a rewatch over the last few months, and finally got to the finale this past weekend. To my incredible surprise, I actually liked it. I stayed away from rewatching the show for so long because I fell into the 'increasingly unhappy with the finale' side of the camp, but I just watched the show and stopped demanding all of the answers, and I liked it. I can't believe it.
:haha:

I always liked it. Nice to have another person who has moved to my side of the ledger.

I don't think season six is the best season - too much filler for me. But I liked it's basic storyline and endpoint. I liked the flash-sideways. And I liked the much maligned Across The Sea, which was basically the writers way of saying 'we've given you answers, but you just ask more questions' - it set out their philosophy, and I was cool with it.
Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. Season 4 is my favorite.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sellout.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:Sellout.
To the minority opinion? :p
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I feel that I'm already in the middle of a Lost rewatch.

It's called Westworld.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:I feel that I'm already in the middle of a Lost rewatch.

It's called Westworld.
I haven't seen it, but I've heard mostly good things.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

It's called Westworld.
HA!

I can't wait for the center of the maze to be a metal hatch. But seriously, I expect the backlash against Westworld to be even nastier than the one against Lost, which is a shame, because I like Westworld quite a lot.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I want to watch Westworld, but I don't have HBO or whatever pay channel it is on. :pouts:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Spacedaisy wrote:I want to watch Westworld, but I don't have HBO or whatever pay channel it is on. :pouts:
Tis why I just wait to get DVDs for everything.

The next generation is side-eyeing my DVD collection and calling me an old man.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

insertnamehere wrote:

It's called Westworld.
HA!

I can't wait for the center of the maze to be a metal hatch. But seriously, I expect the backlash against Westworld to be even nastier than the one against Lost, which is a shame, because I like Westworld quite a lot.
It appears it's more mystery-friendly, since fans seem to pick up on a lot.

It doesn't make the show's cohesion any less frustrating, at least for me.
Srsly, name one fledged character whose drive I can understand and thus relate to and root for.

Except Maeve.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Ricochet wrote:
insertnamehere wrote:

It's called Westworld.
HA!

It appears it's more mystery-friendly, since fans seem to pick up on a lot.

It doesn't make the show's cohesion any less frustrating, at least for me.
Srsly, name one fledged character whose drive I can understand and thus relate to and root for.

Except Maeve.
Teddy, I suppose.

I'd also add that I relate to Bernard and his plight against Ford, and Jeffrey Wright has been giving a nice emotive performance so far. I personally don't see the big Arnold reveal as necessarily discounting Bernard's character development and his drive/goal as a character, which remains pretty damn similar: Get woke and escape Ford's clutches.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image

Return to “Tinsel Town”