LOST

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: LOST

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote:To me, Season 6 just seemed like an entirely different show. The showrunners kept so much of the Island mythology bottled up and then dumped it on us, beginning with The Temple and ending with Jacob & MIB's history. They should have injected a little bit more of all that starting with Season 4 to ease us into it.

The flash-sideways were a source of frustration to me because it kept the possibility of an alternate reality open for far too long. I never subscribed to the Alternate Timeline camp. I was firmly entrenched in the Whatever Happened Happened theory. That's just how I approach the theoretical concept of time travel in general. Had Desmond started his mission to "wake up" the rest of the survivors from the get-go, the flash-sideways would have had a better sense of urgency and purpose.

A few of you from the STV forums might remember that I ran the Lost Fantasy League on DarkUFO. I think by Season 6 I was getting a little burnt out from all the work that the LFL required every week. That might be another contributing factor in my :shrug: attitude toward Season 6. I'm okay with the finale. I don't love and I don't hate it. Yeah, it leaves a few things dangling but I can accept the resolution it gave us.

The Constant is still my favorite episode though. Desmond rocked.
I echo a lot of this.

That said, I haven't re-watched LOST since it ended because I'm afraid to reconfront the ending, thinking I will hate it more this time rather than initially feeling good about it but gradually turning indifferent the more I thought about it in the weeks after finale.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G-Man »

MovingPictures07 wrote:That said, I haven't re-watched LOST since it ended because I'm afraid to reconfront the ending, thinking I will hate it more this time rather than initially feeling good about it but gradually turning indifferent the more I thought about it in the weeks after finale.
See I'm more worried about what the last two seasons will do to my perception of the first two seasons. I loved Season 1 and was a major Locke fan until the end of Season 3. Locke was built up for so long to be this important character but later on we learn that he was nothing more than a pawn in MIB's plot. That realization crushed me hard. I think I'm worried to re-watch those early episodes and feel like they're just a waste of time. That and I will probably want to analyze every episode and character in relation to the overall plot. If nothing else, Season 6 informed us that some characters weren't all that necessary.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:That said, I haven't re-watched LOST since it ended because I'm afraid to reconfront the ending, thinking I will hate it more this time rather than initially feeling good about it but gradually turning indifferent the more I thought about it in the weeks after finale.
See I'm more worried about what the last two seasons will do to my perception of the first two seasons. I loved Season 1 and was a major Locke fan until the end of Season 3. Locke was built up for so long to be this important character but later on we learn that he was nothing more than a pawn in MIB's plot. That realization crushed me hard. I think I'm worried to re-watch those early episodes and feel like they're just a waste of time. That and I will probably want to analyze every episode and character in relation to the overall plot. If nothing else, Season 6 informed us that some characters weren't all that necessary.
Yeah, that's a concern to me as well. I loved the show so much with all of my heart while it was going on, but the value of revisiting the episodes is elusive to me because I already know what happened to everyone, and I don't want to waste my time either. I felt like what was really driving me was knowing what was going to happen, and now that I know what happened, I don't have any real motivation to go back and rewatch any of the episodes, even though I loved the show as it was happening (mostly).

I don't have that same problem with Breaking Bad or many other shows I love, really, so LOST has sort of fallen down my list gradually.
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by zeek »

I'm firmly in the minority here, I really liked the final two seasons. Ever seen my teenage years crushed my perspective on the world I've always known expectations are rarely fulfilled. So knowing it couldn't be as good as I wanted it to be really made me free to enjoy it. I was still a bit disappointed with certain things, just as I was for Dexter and Breaking Bad, but I can honestly say I enjoyed the last two seasons.

I even have an appreciation for John Locke's arc. I think he did have an important role and it fit his tragic life that ultimately he was always a pawn. He may not have been the Messiah we expected but he got them where they needed to go.

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Golden »

I agree Zeek. Plus, I don't think Locke was 'just' a pawn. I think his death was a significant part of the reason that the island was ultimately able to be saved.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 22

Post by S~V~S »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
G-Man wrote:
Yeah, that's a concern to me as well. I loved the show so much with all of my heart while it was going on, but the value of revisiting the episodes is elusive to me because I already know what happened to everyone, and I don't want to waste my time either. I felt like what was really driving me was knowing what was going to happen, and now that I know what happened, I don't have any real motivation to go back and rewatch any of the episodes, even though I loved the show as it was happening (mostly).

I don't have that same problem with Breaking Bad or many other shows I love, really, so LOST has sort of fallen down my list gradually.
I have not watched season six since it aired. I have the box set... still in the box. I was thinking of rewatching this year, to see if I still loathe the endling, lol. I probably will. But knowing how it ends may help me get more out of the season itself, without constantly waiting to see where they were going with all of those new characters. Every week i waited for Ilana to do some awesome thing like a sucker ha ha.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

G-Man wrote:To me, Season 6 just seemed like an entirely different show. The showrunners kept so much of the Island mythology bottled up and then dumped it on us, beginning with The Temple and ending with Jacob & MIB's history. They should have injected a little bit more of all that starting with Season 4 to ease us into it.
This was my biggest complaint with Season Six. Across The Sea was one of my least favorite of the entire series tbh.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rabbit8 »

Locke was a pawn. Best part of his character IMO. Made the whole show that much better for me when it was revealed and I was proven right.

Most epic thread I was ever involved in. Thanks Summer!!!!!
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 7

Post by fingersplints »

Happy LOST day everyone! Anyone interested in doing a rewatch? Bea and I were discussing doing one, but wondered if anyone else wanted to join us.
Gro-oo-ovy
Black Rock
Loan Shark

Post by Black Rock »

I tried to do a rewatch with LC last year but we never finished it. He's still hurting over the finale.
ImageImage
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training

Post by rabbit8 »

Best Finale ever! :noble:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

:meany:

I think I am up for a rewatch. I thought the finale maybe scarred me for life, but maybe it only scarred me for 5 years, lol. I want to try a rewatch, though. If worse comes to worst, I can always stop after season 5 if I can't handle it. I would be game.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Never intend to watch it again, to be honest.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I have not been to Reddit in a while, but I might go early Monday AM for that :D
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

OK watching the pilot for the first time in years. I had forgotten how powerful season one was.
unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

I think for Season 6,
the end would had been better if they had explained it more with a Parallel Universe theory
like timelines can affect a person if you made a different choice, creating another version of yourself with some changes in a new reality
Neverwhere
The Mark

Post by Neverwhere »

I remember being quite disappointed with the ending when I initially watched it. I was expecting more in some ways.

Last year I went and rewatched the entire show and I think I enjoyed it more than I did the first time. When it was airing I found the middle couple of seasons boring, but I actually enjoyed them all right the way through. Being able to watch them one after the other with no breaks or wait periods really highlighted just how incredible the character development on this show really was. When I was able to see it all more clearly like that, the ending didn't bother me as much.

I was actually scrolling through the forum looking to see if there would be a LOST mafia game going. :biggrin:
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Neverwhere wrote:I remember being quite disappointed with the ending when I initially watched it. I was expecting more in some ways.

Last year I went and rewatched the entire show and I think I enjoyed it more than I did the first time. When it was airing I found the middle couple of seasons boring, but I actually enjoyed them all right the way through. Being able to watch them one after the other with no breaks or wait periods really highlighted just how incredible the character development on this show really was. When I was able to see it all more clearly like that, the ending didn't bother me as much.

I was actually scrolling through the forum looking to see if there would be a LOST mafia game going. :biggrin:
A decent chunk of this site originally starting playing mafia on a Lost fan site (including me). The island brought us together, or something.

I remember when sophie was called sophie_locke! :hugs:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Heiots »

Juliet Burke all the way. :cloud9:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Heiots wrote:Juliet Burke all the way. :cloud9:
:clap: :hugs: :blush:
My siggie.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I feel like we have had this conversation before. :ponder: :D

When the actress was on Once Upon a Time I thought of you.

Neverwhere you are in good company here. Golden isn't exagerating. There is a bunch of us who are all huge fans. I even went to a West End show that one of the actors from the later seasons was in so that I could try to meet him after the show. :grin:
Gro-oo-ovy
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Epignosis »

fingersplints wrote:

They sure don't mind showing off her...colden assets.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

fingersplints wrote:

Neverwhere you are in good company here. Golden isn't exagerating. There is a bunch of us who are all huge fans. I even went to a West End show that one of the actors from the later seasons was in so that I could try to meet him after the show. :grin:
I have been known to watch things just because a LOST alum was starring. So yeah.
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

fingersplints wrote:
We did. :nicenod:
timmer wrote:
:clap: :hugs: :blush:
Backpack guy is a Juliet fan. :eek: :hug:
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Reminds me of the hed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Heiots
Stool Pigeon

Post by Heiots »

Dom wrote:Reminds me of the hed.
Hed?
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

dinasaur hed on lost, a thread of awesomeness. A Lostpedia thing, with captions on screencaps. But the captions were things people in the forum said on sequential lost scene screencaps. SOme of them,most of them, really, were epic. When you hear of "Hedville", that was a forum made up of the DHC (Dinasaur Hed Cult) members. We were (and are,although quieter than we used to be) a forum based totally on an epic joke that would not die :)

There was a shout out to it, we think, in the series with Hurleys dinasaur award.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Ah, memories. The hed brought so much joy and funnies.

And some truly crative work.

And all from a post by a troll. Or an alleged troll. I still posti that Diarmy was someone we all knew and enjoyed.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

You think so? Who?
LoRab
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

I do think so. The holes in his life story were huge, and the internal logic and intelligence of his thought process dindn't match up (at all) with his initial posting. Also, IIRC, his OP came at a time when the forum needed a positive jolt to rally around. believed Diarmy to be a sock from early on. I thought LC for a while, butI stopped believing that. After a while, I stopped trying to figure out who it was.

Also, just read this whole thread, and I'm somewhat indifferent to the finale. But I cherish the memory of watching it on my roof deck with LC, BR and others. :)
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Indeed, LoRab. It brought so many of us together, eh?
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Bow down to the glory of the hed.

All things serve the funny.
All dinaurus are invisuble.
No rap is spoketh man.

The hed brings light and joy to all things dark and sad.
The hed brings love and peace.
The hed brings friends together.
The hed finds soul mates.
These things are all trustrys.

Thus says the 4th Scribe to the Cult of the Invisubl Dinausur :noble:

*pours out a bit of fago rootbeer in honor of the Lost Scribe.*
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Huh interesting conspiracy theory lorab. I don't buy it though, I think he was legit :p
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Re: LOST.

Post by bea »

Thus spoketh the 3rd Scribe of the Cult of the Invisubul Dianasur.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

The thread in which we remain vigilante. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So Annie has been bugging me about a LOST rewatch for years now, and I've never been ready for it. I haven't seen a single episode since the Finale aired.

I'm finally "ready" I guess, even though every time I think about the MiB/Jacob storyline and the Finale, I like it less and less. But I guess I'd never be really ready to rewatch it so I caved. I'm multitasking PhD work now as we watch the Pilot.

I have to admit, there was really no show like LOST in its prime. The character development was just so compelling and the mysteries were ridiculously enticing. It's just a shame the way they wrapped a lot of it up (or failed to).

It's really weird watching the Pilot again after all this time and knowing what's going to happen. I don't know what to think.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

MovingPictures07 wrote:So Annie has been bugging me about a LOST rewatch for years now, and I've never been ready for it. I haven't seen a single episode since the Finale aired.

I'm finally "ready" I guess, even though every time I think about the MiB/Jacob storyline and the Finale, I like it less and less. But I guess I'd never be really ready to rewatch it so I caved. I'm multitasking PhD work now as we watch the Pilot.

I have to admit, there was really no show like LOST in its prime. The character development was just so compelling and the mysteries were ridiculously enticing. It's just a shame the way they wrapped a lot of it up (or failed to).

It's really weird watching the Pilot again after all this time and knowing what's going to happen. I don't know what to think.
Ok, we were just talking about it, and I know there was a rewatch over at Hedville. Anyone be up for a LOST rewatch here? We are only in the second half the pilot at the moment, but we can stop here if so and organize it...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Definitely, I'd be cool with stopping after the Pilot and re-watching the rest with some of you all, if anyone else is wanting to.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I could do a rewatch.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

S~V~S wrote:I could do a rewatch.
:fiesta:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I was considering doing the chronological rewatch, but like Alex, I have not been able to bring myself to rewatch the last season. I have the DVDs still in the shrink wrap. So maybe a regular rewatch will be good for me.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

S~V~S wrote:I was considering doing the chronological rewatch, but like Alex, I have not been able to bring myself to rewatch the last season. I have the DVDs still in the shrink wrap. So maybe a regular rewatch will be good for me.
Could you explain the difference for me, I'm not sure I follow.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

There is a thing, Chronologically LOST,where they play the scenes in actual time order.So the Mother/prehistoric island scenes are first, all the flashback stuff happens before the crash, etc. Plug it into a search engine, or see this:

http://www.chronologicallylost.com/
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I could do a rewatch. I am coming up on a slow TV period in summer.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

So do we want to do a time when we all watch each week or would we rather have it so we watch an episode or two each week apache ever we have the time individually and come chat about it here?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

Spacedaisy wrote:So do we want to do a time when we all watch each week or would we rather have it so we watch an episode or two each week apache ever we have the time individually and come chat about it here?
I think that may be easier for most of us, I know my schedule is all over the place.

Return to “Tinsel Town”