ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 36

Re: ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Post by S~V~S »

Although that actress looks different :shrug:
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by sig »

Thanks! :)

Spoiler: show
If we believe the red women is glamoured/magic then it could be another version. I also saw a theory awhile back that they are all really faceless ones, so if the red women is just a faceless one maybe it's just that. Though one hole in the glamour theory, if she was just glamoured how did she do all that stuff? Have a shadow child, ride a horse, not be old in anyway? The other possibility would be that the Red Women aged because she performed some magic and that was the cost, but I doubt it.
I was over at westeros.org and a good portion of them seem very unhappy with this episode.
Have any of you heard of the Great Northern Conspiracy, if so what do you think? It would be awesome if it was real and I could see GRRM dropping hints in the books about it.
ImageImage
Illyria
The Mark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Illyria »

I have not sig, do tell!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

This is more book based than show based. There was also a Great Southern Conspiracy theory, which I suppose is still possible in the books, due to changes in the story, it would have to significantly change for it to work on the show.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Ricochet »

A.V. Club is doing articles with odds on who might die in the next episode(s) and that's such lazy clickbait, even for them.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, but it does pretty much lay out the Northern Conspiracy Theory, which was the topic.

And I voted in one of those polls, I think that
Roose Bolton

will die next week.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ironically, that name never came up in that article, but Theon's did
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

Illyria wrote:I have not sig, do tell!
SVS posted a good accurate video about it, it's almost 100% book based.
The original theory was created by someone on reddit I believe, it is really in depth and good imo. If you're a book fan you'll enjoy reading it.
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, I saw it on reddit, too. All those poor Stannis the Mannis people, I have not been there in a while, they must have been broken hearted :p
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

S~V~S wrote:Yeah, I saw it on reddit, too. All those poor Stannis the Mannis people, I have not been there in a while, they must have been broken hearted :p
lol yes, I never was a fan of Stannis, but it was heartbreaking to see some of their posts.
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

S~V~S wrote:Yeah, but it does pretty much lay out the Northern Conspiracy Theory, which was the topic.

And I voted in one of those polls, I think that
Roose Bolton

will die next week.
Fistpump!!
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

I feel satisfied after that episode.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

It could have been better; that little fucker Olly could have died.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I thought it was laughable. I'm seriously not even 0% malicious in saying this.
Wildlings putting an end to shenanigans made sense, although surprised Throne is still breathing after this.
Tyrion freeing the pups was script-wise awful. "I'm friends with your mother"? Yeah, they have no idea what to do, now that they're out of books.
Ironically, the Bolton affair earns me a shrug, which is almost positive. The actor playing Roose clearly had his bored written-off face on throughout these two episodes.
How many seasons has it been since Balon disappeared from the show's storyline? Yeah, lol, and then filler kill. Still hopeful Euron would develop into something interesting, though.
And the scene you've all been waiting for. Literally schoolyard filmmaking. "Melisande doesn't do shit, gives a hopeless look, everyone leaves, freeze frame on face for 10 seconds, aaaaaah *gasp of liveliness*, cut to black". 100% mainstream tropes, 0% intelligent design. Sorry, but no. No.
Every other scene was filler, you know it's true.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Also, yes, congrats SVS. I find it extremely funny that an entire website wrote a clickbait piece on calling odds on characters that weren't in harms way one bit this episode, whilst leaving out Roose, which you were spot on. :p
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ricochet wrote:
Also, yes, congrats SVS. I find it extremely funny that an entire website wrote a clickbait piece on calling odds on characters that weren't in harms way one bit this episode, whilst leaving out Roose, which you were spot on. :p
Well, it was pretty obvious. Ramsey tells dead psycho girlfriend hes gonna make Sansa/Theon suffer for what they did to her. Next Scene, Dad tells Ramsey, you played your games with Sansa, get her back. Threatens him with the baby, criticizes everything Ramsey does. Ramsey would be unable to get Myrandas revenge with Daddy looking over his shoulder, Daddy has to go. And I was bummed that they took out the whole Greyjoy Bros plot, so glad to see they brought it back, I hope they don't trash it like they trashed Dorne.

And yeah, climactic scene was anti climactic. They made it super obvious he had warged into Ghost. Plus poor demoralized psycho Melisandre.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

The way Euron's appeared only now - and still not "technically" revealed, because "we need a mysterious scene, hurr" first - and given how important he seems in the books, or the theory surrounding him and his goals, I think the show would need to massively invest in his storyline, from this point onwards, to have any chance of pulling a decent coverage.
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 19

Post by a2thezebra »

Ricochet wrote:
And the scene you've all been waiting for. Literally schoolyard filmmaking. "Melisande doesn't do shit, gives a hopeless look, everyone leaves, freeze frame on face for 10 seconds, aaaaaah *gasp of liveliness*, cut to black". 100% mainstream tropes, 0% intelligent design. Sorry, but no. No.
Every other scene was filler, you know it's true.
I disagree with everything else you said about the episode, but I'm with you one hundred percent here.
Seriously, fuck that last scene. I was hoping so, so badly that they were doing the buildup to the gasp of liveliness only to have no gasp of liveliness at the end...you know, to actually be as unpredictable as everyone parades the show to be for once, but nope.
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

sig wrote:
Illyria wrote:I have not sig, do tell!
SVS posted a good accurate video about it, it's almost 100% book based.
The original theory was created by someone on reddit I believe, it is really in depth and good imo. If you're a book fan you'll enjoy reading it.
I read the books once, and would re-read them but the 4th one just about killed me to finish, it was a ponderous tome. I DONT CARE WHAT THEY ARE EATING GEORGE.
I concur that it was anticlimactic, and I was unsurprised but still thrilled. :blush:

Ser Davos wins again! "I apologize for what you are about to see" *draws sword* :haha:

I know it is wrong, but that damn wolf growling as they broke the door down was SO HOT. (I do not support bestiality because eww-- but DAMN IT WAS AWESOME) I love that they have a real one with some added CGI for size it makes the difference imo.

So this episode's theme was Down with the Old Guard and The Kids Are Taking Over Bitches. Did the Happy dance for Roose Bolton VENGEANCE FOR THE KING OF THE NORTH! :noble: , not so much for the baby and Doofie.

I want the dragons to come into play, and I remember the brother and Dead Pyke Dad (I suck at names) having a smackdown and the SUUUUUPPPPER boring political struggle with Asha and Uncle Pyke from the books. By all the Old Gods and The New I hope they do a better job of that on screen.

Arya's little pause and the way her voice escalated in pitch on the last "A girl has no name" :puppy:

I like that the Red Woman still thinks that She SUCKS. I am 1000% down with that, psycho hussy. :fist:
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

What do we think?
Not terribly surprised by most of it, took me a second when Jon walked away from The Wall-- but I get it. I want Ser Davos and Jon to get to Winterfell RFN.

That convo on Whats app was HILARIOUS between my sister during THAT reveal.

"Who does he.. NO.NO.

"noooo"

"NO! NO!!! NOT SHAGGY DOG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Khaleesi, I am already getting bored so lets get a move on and raise some hell please.

Ayra, thats a girl. :srsnod: The discipline will be good for you, and make you a far more efficient killer. :noble:

Tomnen, you sweet stupid baby. :huh:

So happy to see Diana Rigg back!!!!!!!!!! :workit:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I was distracted by Mafia during this episode, so I'd have to strain for some impressions. I was most ok with
Jon's story, actually. Felt like a good, simple wrap-up. Runner-up is Arya's story, because I'm ok with this taking three episodes to head in a new direction just as much.

Tyrion "doing... stuff" is starting to feel like a complete trainwreck. There is no chemistry and purpose to what he does there and who he's interacting with and even his snark is starting to fall completely flat. The standout character is growing dead inside. Yet again, I sense that the writers are surprisingly out of their depth. SVS, was this the slave you mentioned being cast this season? If so, it must mean the hot lady in the trailer is a different character and still to show up? Maybe it's Arianne. <3

Daenerys story progression at this point is just unbearable.

This week's flashback was kinda ugh. Too much nothing. Fight coreography seemed pretty good, though.

So really, completely neutral on this one, but it's episode 3 of 10 and my general impression is that the progression pace and style is incredibly bad.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, neutral is a good word.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

That was one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen, the stunt team should be commended. Well thought out and executed.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Illyria wrote:
That was one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen, the stunt team should be commended. Well thought out and executed.
They should, but I think they're too dead to care.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

Ricochet wrote:
Illyria wrote:
They should, but I think they're too dead to care.
This actually took me a second, I almost went and googled "major accident on GoT set". :haha:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Well guess what, I rather liked this one. It had more moments with weight and significance, while the scenes that were merely filler or transitory didn't burden or bore as much. Snow/Stark reunion and plotting was again a strong point, because it felt to comform to a general assumption about where the narration in the books would go as well. Danaerys had her compulsory smug comeback moment, but even those scenes looked rather interesting and it was a relief for the plot to finally go somewhere. Sadly, it's not going anywhere over in King's Landing. Or Pyke. I still believe that the reign of Tyrion is a very, very poorly done and shockingly uninteresting part of the plot, but that negotiation scene was a bit more like it, at least.

Most not bad episode of the season by far, imo.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

LOVED IT. Best ep of the season thus far. I loved the Women Were Meant to Rule theme, all the way through. Sansa reading the letter (how creepy was that letter?) Brienne putting the Red Woman on notice :clap: Dany getting back to her roots, I have to say her Flamethrower Music is so good. I get so stoked when it happens. Majorie telling her brother to suck it the fuck up, I can't wait to see what happens when she gets free.

Jorah and Darrio buddy cop movie is fun, and I am glad they have gotten that story line put together that was a MESS.

I agree with Tyrion, and I would like to see more of that kind of stuff. He is good at that, and we should sell it.

I totally:
Cried with Sansa and Jon I needed that to happen so much, and their conversations immediately after was lovely.
Ship Tormund and Brienne with Edd. :srsnod: :noble: My new OTP! :D
Knew we would lose Asha and HATED IT. :sigh:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I agree that it was a good episode overall, perhaps the best so far in this season, but am I the only that thought that Daenarys' final scene was ridiculously bad?
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

No, I thought it was a bit derivative. I love the episode overall, that was the only complaint I really had as well. Although it must be said the whole emerging naked from the flames impressed the shit out of the Dothraki before, why not again?

Hopefully we get the story I was expecting (both show & books) when Dani first joined the Khalasar. the whole Drogo dying thing was so upsetting. I want to see the Screaming horde in Kings Landing.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

It doesn't make sense to me that it would work a second time because the Dothraki were already aware of Khaleesi's history with Khal Drogo and as the mother of dragons, they just didn't care because she wasn't in a position to impress anymore. Then she pulls the rabbit out of the hat again and then everyone's suddenly like "oh we didn't know you could like actually survive flames and shit, here let us all bow down to you even though you just killed our leaders and we don't like or care for you much at all." It just feels really unearned and unbelievable to me. Since Season 2 (with the exception of Season 5) it feels like the show's been nicer to Khaleesi than any other character, and that's been annoying me. When she gets lucky the show portrays her as a heroine when her blood is the only thing about her that has managed to get anyone's respect and/or loyalty, and when her decision-making skills are tested they are revealed to be tepid, over and over again. Yet the show seems to hand her success on a silver platter when every other character has to either earn it or at the very least seize an opportunity. Out of everyone in the show who believes that they are destined for greatness she's the only one where the show's presentation seems to agree with her.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I think, for me, where I can tell the writers no longer have a rudder is the Khaleesi story line. I understand why y'all thought it was derivative, but I will never tire of setting misogynists on fire. :D :noble: I also want to see the Dothraki horde with the Unsullied roll over Kings Landing like hot molasses SVS. :biggrin: Goooooood times.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I am loving how Tormund is "appreciating" Brienne. He thinks shes the hottest thing ever, you can just tell how he looks at her .
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

She's heeeeeeere!

Alas, it doesn't inspire the thought that she would be Arianne. In fact the Dorne stuff just dropped off the earth, right now. (Good riddance)
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

She is another red woman. Look at her necklace, her outfit. She is one of Melisandres sorority sisters.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I'm glad that the Arya, Sansa and Dany storylines are already moving in new directions. In previous seasons, these storylines would have taken all year. Jon's story is moving a little more slowly, so hopefully that pays off, but I'm expecting it to simply end with a big battle at Winterfell. And hopefully we get rid of the High Sparrow soon... I think that's gone on long enough at this point.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Some sort of resolution is definitely coming with the High Sparrow, but I love his segments in each episode. He's such a contrast to everything else. I like how powerless and irrelevant everyone and everything at King's Landing has become, mostly because of him.
This season has been the best since season 2 and it might even be able to surpass that by the end. I really like the direction everything is moving in and for the first time it actually feels like the show is building toward a resolution, even if it's still far off in the distance.

And RE: last night's episode: That was a different kind of emotional debilitation than I'm used to experiencing from Game of Thrones. :(
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Even though Arya is my favorite character in the books, I am finding her story arc with the endless staff fights with the waif & Jacquen saying enigmatic things to be kind of boring. I am also looking forward to seeing what Davos does when he finds out about Shireen. I was HORRIFIED that both Summer & Hodor died. I just couldn't :disappoint:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

My thoughts on you-know-what
The rest
was rather fine, actually. I might return with actual thoughts. I might not.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Sloonei wrote:
Some sort of resolution is definitely coming with the High Sparrow, but I love his segments in each episode. He's such a contrast to everything else. I like how powerless and irrelevant everyone and everything at King's Landing has become, mostly because of him.
This season has been the best since season 2 and it might even be able to surpass that by the end. I really like the direction everything is moving in and for the first time it actually feels like the show is building toward a resolution, even if it's still far off in the distance.

And RE: last night's episode: That was a different kind of emotional debilitation than I'm used to experiencing from Game of Thrones. :(
I think I may be starting to agree with this. Last night's episode was the first 10/10 episode I've seen from this show since Season 2's finale. The pacing was immaculate, every scene followed the one before it beautifully.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

That's ironic, because you complained about Dany's climax from 6x04 being/looking wonky, but to me the whole assault on the Tree in this one was cringy in effects and setpieces. And dat kid acting. Yeah, let's shout for 15 seconds, that will make the message clear.

I had no problem with the rest of the episode having considerable depth and flow. And mmm Kinvara.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I didn't complain about it being wonky, I complained about it being unwarranted and unbelievable. I can see how young Hodor may seem narmy to some but I was moved by it, as opposed to being enraged at 6x04. The reason I could see this season outdoing the second is because Dany was the first part about that season as well, for me anyway.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*worst part, not first part
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

So I just checked out " The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History if Westeros And the Game of Thrones" from my local library, and it is a great read. It has amazing art work and dives so much deeper into the world of ASOIAF . I live it so far.
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Ricochet wrote:
A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
The inexplicable obligatory cock was way more warranted than Dany's finale in 6x04. :P

To clarify, I don't mean it's unwarranted in the sense that I think that she should've just stayed there for the rest of the series. I mean it's unwarranted that she earned the respect of all the Dothraki so easily. All she did was not get burned, again. It was just lame in my opinion.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I also find it unbelievable that just burning the other Dothraki leaders to death...worked. Like, couldn't they just run away? Or stop her after she knocked down the first fire thingamabob? They're fucking Dothraki, not a spoiled Arryn child.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Fire burns, ykno. Also maybe you missed the fact that Jorah and Daario sealed the place shut, as far as running away goes.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Okay, I did miss that, which helps a lot. I still don't think that the Dothraki people who were totally dismissive of Dany even knowing her past successes before, would then bow down before her for killing their leaders and not getting burnt. Again. I was just like, really???
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I. AM. WRECKED. I can NOT BELIEVE we lost another godfrakingdamn Direwolf, we only have Ghost (and technically Nymeria)left. I just cant w/ Hodor. I just.. can't. I have not been hurt like that since I read the chapter that had "The Red Wedding" in it. :pout:

I am such an easy person, I loved this episode (and the ones previous). I really am looking forward to the Brienne/Sansa buddy cop movie and ohhhh MAN did I want her to kill Littlefinger. SO MUCH. I was stoked about The Blackfish, I hope we get to see him soon. I was actually kind of upset when Jon legit left The Wall. I want him to go and kick that twat's ass, but I was conflicted about it, which I think he is as well, so well done there.Dany and Jorah. :puppy: And there is a cure but I seroiusly doubt he will find it in time. The more I think about it, the less I think we will see Dany on the Iron Throne. I am starting to wonder if she will get all the way over to Westeros, kill everyone then die right at the last second by some lame way.

Arya watching the play was horrible. Poor baby. :( But whoooo those fight scenes with Bitch Face were REALLY good, the stunt team and fight choreographer really stepped it up this year. :huh:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

How could I forget the fantastic scene with Sansa, Brienne and Littlefinger!? That floored me. I'm also impressed with the fight choreography this season. If I were to compose a third party cut of this series (which I actually plan to do when it's over) I would remove almost all of the fight scenes until this season, to illustrate the feeling that shit is about to go down.

Return to “Tinsel Town”