ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 19

Re: ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Post by a2thezebra »

Spoiler: show
I didn't complain about it being wonky, I complained about it being unwarranted and unbelievable. I can see how young Hodor may seem narmy to some but I was moved by it, as opposed to being enraged at 6x04. The reason I could see this season outdoing the second is because Dany was the first part about that season as well, for me anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*worst part, not first part
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Ricochet »

A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

So I just checked out " The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History if Westeros And the Game of Thrones" from my local library, and it is a great read. It has amazing art work and dives so much deeper into the world of ASOIAF . I live it so far.
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Ricochet wrote:
A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
The inexplicable obligatory cock was way more warranted than Dany's finale in 6x04. :P

To clarify, I don't mean it's unwarranted in the sense that I think that she should've just stayed there for the rest of the series. I mean it's unwarranted that she earned the respect of all the Dothraki so easily. All she did was not get burned, again. It was just lame in my opinion.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I also find it unbelievable that just burning the other Dothraki leaders to death...worked. Like, couldn't they just run away? Or stop her after she knocked down the first fire thingamabob? They're fucking Dothraki, not a spoiled Arryn child.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Fire burns, ykno. Also maybe you missed the fact that Jorah and Daario sealed the place shut, as far as running away goes.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Okay, I did miss that, which helps a lot. I still don't think that the Dothraki people who were totally dismissive of Dany even knowing her past successes before, would then bow down before her for killing their leaders and not getting burnt. Again. I was just like, really???
Illyria
The Mark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Illyria »

I. AM. WRECKED. I can NOT BELIEVE we lost another godfrakingdamn Direwolf, we only have Ghost (and technically Nymeria)left. I just cant w/ Hodor. I just.. can't. I have not been hurt like that since I read the chapter that had "The Red Wedding" in it. :pout:

I am such an easy person, I loved this episode (and the ones previous). I really am looking forward to the Brienne/Sansa buddy cop movie and ohhhh MAN did I want her to kill Littlefinger. SO MUCH. I was stoked about The Blackfish, I hope we get to see him soon. I was actually kind of upset when Jon legit left The Wall. I want him to go and kick that twat's ass, but I was conflicted about it, which I think he is as well, so well done there.Dany and Jorah. :puppy: And there is a cure but I seroiusly doubt he will find it in time. The more I think about it, the less I think we will see Dany on the Iron Throne. I am starting to wonder if she will get all the way over to Westeros, kill everyone then die right at the last second by some lame way.

Arya watching the play was horrible. Poor baby. :( But whoooo those fight scenes with Bitch Face were REALLY good, the stunt team and fight choreographer really stepped it up this year. :huh:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

How could I forget the fantastic scene with Sansa, Brienne and Littlefinger!? That floored me. I'm also impressed with the fight choreography this season. If I were to compose a third party cut of this series (which I actually plan to do when it's over) I would remove almost all of the fight scenes until this season, to illustrate the feeling that shit is about to go down.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Hodor. Hodor :( That last scene was such a mindfuck (possibly even literally).

I have so many questions about Bran's abilities now. Can he influence the past, or has his influence on the past already occurred? I feel like a lot of mysteries are going to be solved with "Bran did it", time travel is such a cop-out. But I'm intrigued at least.

I really hope Littlefinger wasn't lying to Sansa. I'm worried that Brienne is walking into a trap. She should probably take the ginger wildling with her just to be safe.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

a2thezebra wrote:I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
What does that mean?
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

BEEEEEENJEEEEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg, longest tease EVER. I am glad they gave us an explanation as to why he has been gone for so long. Now that Bran has another protector I am hoping they start high tailing it south, cause.. damn.

Tomnen, you ass. :disappoint:

Marjorie was playing a Long Con that failed when you saw her face when the army showed up she was like "Damn, that was not what I thought was going to happen".

Jamie and Cersei felt like a goodbye. If Blackfish kills Jamie, I legit won't know how to feel. :puppy:

Yes Ayra, it is time for you to go. You have learned what you needed to learn. Get your ass on a boat and GTFO of there and head home.

Khalessi.. it is about damn time. I get they are setting up Yara showing up with the boats but this whole thing feels like it is taking forever. Which, to be fair, massive warfare does take forever to organize and implement... so I guess that is okay??? I just want her to lay waste to Westeros soon, but I guess she wont show up til the White Walkers show in Kings Landing or the Riverlands. :sigh:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I don't know about the rest of you, but this was probably the most satisfying and even episode of the season for me. Nothing bloated, nothing not worth sharing with the viewers story- and character-wise, nothing outrageous (well unless you count Her Smugness riding a dragon), the visuals were alright, the twists were fantasy-writing-worthy and quite agreeable.

Up until now, I would have prefered Arya to become the ascetic, distanced-from-the-world member of the Starks, but funny thing is, the scenes were so neatly constructed in this episode, I actually have no qualms with her betraying the cult and retaining a bit of herself after all. Hopefully the conclusion of this will be just as worthwhile.

Benjen, Bran and Meera scenes were also something I enjoyed. I felt the writing was finally spot on here, explanatory but still in a stylised way.

Sam and Gilly's visit to the family in law (holy frak was that fracking Dr. Chase?) was probably the closest thing to a "window into a place on that earth and an entourage which will never show up ever again, for us to care", but I enjoyed its resolution as well. I believe that sword is Valyrian? So yeah it foreshadows Sam becoming White Walker maesterslayer or something, right?

Lore-wise, it is my understanding that the Frey story and how they end up decimated after their shameful Red Wedding plot has been completely wasted in the series, but in this episode it felt like a decent "oh hey these guys still exist" moment.

I don't care how The Door blew everyone's minds, this for me was the most I-Can-Watch-and-Enjoy-This episode of the season, you guys.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Illyria wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
What does that mean?
An edited down version of the complete television series to flow as if it was a very long film. I've thought about doing this with other shows as well, such as Twin Peaks, Columbo, Buffy, Angel, and a few others.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

My response to the most recent episode was lukewarm. I liked it overall, especially Samwell's part which is a first, but the final scene was really tepid IMO. I am so tired of the show acting like Khaleesi is more magnificent than she actually is. Every single thing she does is portrayed as triumphant and it's annoying. Other than that though, I liked this one, and I'm glad Arya's story is heading in a new direction, although I was much more of a fan of her temporary quest to become no one in Season 5 than a lot of other people.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I heard something interesting the other day, is Khaleesi becoming a villain? Rulers know they can't go in and murder everyone, burn cities to the ground, etc.Which is what she has been saying she will do for some time now. Is the Targaryen (okay, my spell check just corrected that how great is that?) in her taking over? I think that would be a VERY interesting twist that I could get behind. :feb:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I welcome it as well and I do think that's where it's going, it's just that I think this development should've happened way earlier. Like Season 2 earlier. As soon as Khal Drogo died this is the direction I believe Khaleesi should have immediately gone. As it is we've had over four seasons of what I would consider meandering with her arc.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I don't think it would matter for me if Daenerys ends up fully antagonised. She's a loose cannon and her urges to rule and reclaim may look 'bildungsroman'-like, but they could easily veer into the dark side. I think the talk with Daario summed up the whole thing. "Hey Dany you should focus on building yourself a new empire." *Dany jumps on dragonback* "NAH LET'S TAKE BAC WHATS MINE ROOOOOOOOAR"
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 36

Post by S~V~S »

Yup, her parents were brother & sister,and her dad was the Mad King.She could go madder than a hatter at any time. The cuter and more sympathetic she is now, the more shocking and GRRMish it would be in the end. A friend of mine suggested the possibility that she is the eventual big bad in the end game. Not sure if I would go that far, but I could easily see her going dark. Her dropping that ring was ominous to me.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

If she does become the big band in the end, that would make me almost forgive the extremely uneventful and unnecessarily long developments with her character arc. It would be great to have the one character in the entire series that the audience is actively encouraged to root for become the one character that is the primary antagonist of every other character that the audience has rooted for on the basis of the characters themselves.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

Given this new perspective, I have started to wonder. If she is the Big Bad (or band! We don't judge here) how in the WORLD are they going to kill all 3 dragons. Who, no lie, I will be more upset about losing than Dany. :blush: I would love to see Sansa and Jon in the North and Arya ruling down South. :noble:

But I am very sure that we are losing a Stark this season and I do not think it will be Rickon... or just Rickon. :eek: :huh:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Well, re dragons, don't forget she locked up two of the three and abandoned them. Tyrion let them go. My opinions on Dany, already complex, took a turn for the worse when she locked them up.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

S~V~S wrote:
Well, re dragons, don't forget she locked up two of the three and abandoned them. Tyrion let them go. My opinions on Dany, already complex, took a turn for the worse when she locked them up.
No, I didn't forget and I concur my feelings became confused and unhappy when she did that as well. But there are still three of them, and I am guessing in order to survive in any world it would be "safer" sans dragons. I had a great dream of Sansa and Ayra riding the other two until Dany fucked it all up. :mad: :rolleyes: :doh:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Alright I just spent this week catching up on the season and I'm actually really liking it for the most part. Some thoughts:
- That Hodor reveal. Was NUTS. Damn that was mindbending.
- I've really loved every bit of Arya's storyline, and Sansa's as well. I love all the starklings too much I just want them to be ok. If Asshole Faceless Girl kills Arya I will flip ten thousand shits she is not meant to die. And I hope Bran and Benjen meet up with Jon and Sansa eventually (though we've probably already far exceeded the Stark reunion quota for the year).
- Gilly meeting the parents was SUUUPER awkward. Glad they got out of there. And damn if that is not the most ADORABLE baby!!
- I agree with zebra re: Dany. She's always been kinda boring to me and is just constantly overrated and glorified and I'm really tired of it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

nutella wrote: - I agree with zebra re: Dany. She's always been kinda boring to me and is just constantly overrated and glorified and I'm really tired of it.[/spoiler]
I'M NOT ALONE, THANK YOU! :noble:

This video touches on one of my (many) problems with how the show handles Dany. Although I disagree with the video's main point because I don't think that adaptations are obligated to keep the spirit of what they're adapting, I have not read the books myself and this video has gotten me more curious about them than I ever thought I would be simply because this guy makes the ideology of the books sound more interesting than the ideology of the show, though neither are set in stone yet. Spoilers for the books and for the show:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

CLEGANEBOWL CONFIRMED WOOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

G
E
T

H
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
P
P
P
P
P

Bet you didn't expect Ian McShane to be so... one-moment, though. He should have been Euron, instead.

Anyway, I was ok with this episode, too. King's Landing is as filler as always, but that's about it. Very pre-wars-y feel to it, in a good way. I can only assume Stark and Lannisters battling their own will be the thematic of this season's culmination.

Also, how exactly do you survive this many stabs in the belly?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Pretty alright episode. Nice to see ol Houndy again, nice to have a break from Dany. Jon/Sansa/Davos seeking support was actually interesting for what it's leading up to. I loved the Asha/Theon scene (I refuse to call her Yara she will always be Asha). And Arya, yiiikes I am really hoping against hope for her.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Lyanna Mormont FTW.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

NOPE. NOPEDIDDYNOPENOPENOPE.

I was STOKED about The Hound, even more that he is gonna kick some ass.

Lyanna Mormont was AWESOME and that kid radiated strength but was not petulant so major kudos to that young actress. Ser Davos FTW as per usual, and I love that Tormund was all "lets go bitches" to the Wildlings.

The rest of it was pretty meh. One of my least favorite eps so far this season.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Really? This was my second favorite episode so far. No Dany was a plus, as well as no Tyrion (make no mistake I love Tyrion, but I agree with Rico that it seems like they have no idea what to do with him right now) and all of the dialogue was really engaging in this one.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Lol, off-screen kills... in GoT... Granted, Arya's blind D'Artagnan moment was a nicer touch, cinematically, but still a cop out in terms of explaining how she'd ever have gotten the upper hand on a Waif that was superior to her until then. Also, the facial expressions of the Waif whilst chasing Arya in town are simply not great acting choices.

Anyway, I feel this arc has been cut off short of potential. If this is the last we see of the Faceless and Jaqen H'gar, what to understand, really, of this myth and this cult? Has Arya really gained any skills besides sharpening her assassin ones? Can she become a Faceless right now or anything in particular? Just feels like the showrunners, at least, resorted on an "Arya who shall remain a Stark at heart" angle rather than her becoming a more independent pawn.

I felt nothing about the other stories and thus most of the episode. No wait, if there's one big low, it has to be that I can't stand any more of Tyrion wasting away in Meereen. Whoever came up with the idea that Tyrion with Missandei and Whatever-His-Name bantzing in a room needs to happen for two-thirds of a season deserves to be chased by a dragon. [/size]
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 10

Post by fingersplints »

Ricochet wrote:
Whoever came up with the idea that Tyrion with Missandei and Whatever-His-Name bantzing in a room needs to happen for two-thirds of a season deserves to be chased by a dragon. [/size]
This. ^^^
The show has all but ruined all my favorite characters. Tyrion scenes are funny, but a waste of a talented actor and an important character.
I don't want to even get started on how they have destroyed Jaime. How will he redeem himself? :shrug2: :puppy: :pout:

I'm so happy to have the Hound back. This is one of the few characters I just adore both the show and book version. The actor is really nailing it.

I'm a little disappointed with the off screen deaths. While I think it kind of worked this episode with Arya, not seeing the Blackfish's final battle sucked. I didn't like most of that scene. I didn't find it believable that all the Tully men would side with stupid Edmure. (I think I'm having a hard time here too because the actor plays such a convincing baddie on Outlander.)
Gro-oo-ovy
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

FUCK YES ARYA

largely agree with you guys on the rest
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I'm not too sure how I feel about that last episode overall. I tried to not dismiss the ending of Arya's No One arc as best as I could but the more I think about it the more I really do think everyone's right and that it's pretty damn bad. I hope I change my mind as time goes on, perhaps future events will make it seem like a more purposeful arc in the long run but as of right now it just feels like a major disappointment. And while I didn't seem to mind Tyrion's banter with Grey Worm and whatshername as much as a lot of other people, Dany's return was absolutely cringeworthy. It's bad enough that I called it but even if I didn't the way it was done was just really bad.

That being said however, the non-Dany and non-Arya parts of this episode I liked quite a bit, particularly Jaime and Cersei's parts. So I have mixed feelings about it overall. Mainly I'm looking forward to the final episode (not the next one so much because I'm not a fan of the episodes that are battle-heavy) to see how this strange season wraps up. Depending on the conclusion I could see it being one of my favorite or one of my least favorite seasons. As of right now it's totally up in the air.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Well, I was hoping for a Winterfell-only episode, overall. The Meereen scenes were not very useful, but at least they won't clog the finale next week, I suppose. I dislike the focus set more on Theon/Asha, because that means Euron badassery is still at too low. Euron badassery, people! Give us the goods!

As for the battle, I wonder if I'm a bastard (no pun intended) for having mixed feelings about it, because all in all it was gruesome and chaotic and hard to pull; but it didn't fell as compelling as Hardhome, for instance. The chaotic part was also technical, at times. It also felt like a replica of Blackwater, in terms of dynamic and change of tides, if you think about it and center it all around Tyrion / Jon, respectively.

I also have an issue with how much things were foreshadowed: Erie's army coming to save the day, Rickon being a gonner from the moment he was captured by Bolton, even Ramsay losing and then being fed to his pups being poetic justice.

Davos was in less danger than I anticipated, but I'm starting to feel that Tormund is being kept around for fan service (and maybe the lumberjack demographic of viewers? idk)

I almost feel like Jon came out losing out of this one - his own army almost slaughtered by Ramsay's superior tactics, then nearly losing humanity in beating Ramsay up to a pulp, etc. He has yet to exhibit anything Azor Hai-esque and it'll be interesting to see how he can become acknowledged as the leader of Wildlings, northern Houses, Erie and alike...if at all, I mean.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Just watched it. Wow. Damn. I think that episode was pretty close to perfect, for what it was. Except for Rickon -- there had to be a loss there but it was still really disappointing especially since I've always thought that GRRM had huge plans for Rickon going into the end of the series.
But yeah, wow that battle was incredibly well done from start to finish. I'm not usually much of a battle fan but that was just incredibly impressive and captivating all the way through. The chaos of the fight, the crowded barricade, the dramatic entry of the Vale army with Sansa's smile, Jon's descent into savagery, the giant's demise, Jon beating Ramsay to a pulp and then deciding to leave him for Sansa to finish off and then finally her turning the hounds on him. Just. SO. GOOD.
I even have to say I enjoyed the Meereen scenes quite a bit too. Grey Worm was fantastic, and I liked Dany meeting the Greyjoys -- and might I add that Dany/Asha is the ship I never knew I wanted :p
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by unfurl »

DO NOT WATCH
If you have not seen epidode 9

I LOL watching it, and I thought to share it
I have been thinking for a while that Danny is going to go mad crazy eventually at the end, but now Tyrion is mentioning/hinting so much, that if that happens then is gonna be sort of obvious

Also no one big major has died, (I was sad at Hodor dead ) (And we barely knew older Rickon), (And Ramsey had it coming) but I think something major is got to happend tomorrow finale season episode, maybe Cersie dies at the end of the seven gods, I need a shocking end, but I guess if I thought about i, and it happends then it will not be shocing, haha

And Jon Snow :cloud9:
Last edited by unfurl on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Just FYI, you can put embedded videos in spoilers, too.
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by unfurl »

Ricochet wrote:Just FYI, you can put embedded videos in spoilers, too.
I thought it did not worked, but I just edited and it worked :p
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Welp.

I wonder if the Valar Morghulis is starting to sound like it's meant to be taken literally, lol. This might sound odd, but I'll be curious if GRRM in the books will have actually envisioned this shift towards matriarchy. The show, honestly, gives a feminist tone. Cersei, Dany, Asha (except for the threat of Euron), Dorne Snakes, Arya, even bossy Lady Mormont... Everyone except Sansa has basically ended in a commanding position (or at least hopeful one).

Anyway, apart from a theory confirmation that seemed confirmed eons ago, I bet this episode will mostly displease the bookies. The shocking stuff was clearly whack, the rest of puzzle pieces placing in for the finale, which was not uncommon for a lengthy season wrap-up. So I really won't go into detail. I still can't tell if Varys showing up in Dorne and then on Dany's boat is a goof, cause lmao, high back-channel dimensional travel skills there. And I guess Arya did in fact master to be a Faceless warrior...after...a lot of bodies washing and one mission she failed to carry through and having to survive her assassination? Coolio.

Basically, I think things are shaping up as Cersei becoming the Mad Queen and fighting Dany for the Throne. With House Tully and Frey broken and the North alligned with neither, Targaryen (with half the Greyjoys and apparently Dorne and Tyrell) vs Lannisters seems like a good distribution of forces. Jon might get caught up in this or might just fight the Night King. I can see the former only if he'll need to rally every living soul on the planet against the Walkers. I know, I know, RLJ, ergo rightful claimer, but I just don't feel it at the moment.

I can see two more seasons being fitting for this entire development, overall.

Pros of the season:
-- more focused, overall, and pushing most of the stories in a significant direction. I think the stretchiest bit of the season was basically King's Landing.
-- some of its best episodes for me were NOT the hyped ones; that shows some style
-- making a stronger case than ever that this is not your usual type of heroes & villains fantasy, in the bigger picture; I really see no clear good & evil portrayal here anymore, just a literal game for that freaking throne in which all sides are on the wrong side; for all its clickbait style, I found this Vox article quite good

Mixed:
-- since there is little book material left to judge the season by, I'll say it would prove to have had its "textbook" moments and its "what are you doing" moments; the writing has felt lost at bay at times, surprisingly inspired other times, too

Cons:
-- Dorne. Laughable.
-- Tyrion. Reduced to a shadow.
-- Going with Tyrells being cast on the complete losing side. Feels pretty bad. It is my understanding that Mace Tyrell was planned to just appear to be a goofing twat, when in fact cooking some serious stuff behind the curtains. "No guys let's just blow him up". Ok.
-- Can't. Take. Any. More. Episodes. Or Seasons. That Cut. To Black. After A Scene. Of Dany. Looking. On Top. Of Things. She. Is Not. A Heroine. For Christ's Sake. I counted at least 4, is this a season record?
-- Euron development. Frak you. (With Daario now pushed aside, the theories regarding his nature seems thrown away, too.)
-- Foreshadowing, and not even trying to be subtle about it. Mainly concerning the Battle of the Bastards, but even some of the stuff in the finale.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Lyanna Mormont for President
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

WOW. I loved that. Rico, you're right there are certainly some things that I'm questioning/disappointed in, but overall I really enjoyed the finale and most of the season. Sad to see Margaery et al gone and Cersei on the throne, that was actually pretty unexpected, but I actually liked the cinematic execution of it. As usual, I feel pretty meh about Dany/Tyrion/etc and much more excited about the Stark end of things. I'm glad they did the R+L=J thing, I loved Arya offing Frey, I love Lyanna Mormont. The real star of the show though for me was Ramin Djawadi. The soundtrack was absolutely STUNNING all the way through.

I enjoyed this assessment of the episode, it touches on a few fun things.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

An entertaining finale, but also one with few surprises. The wildfire thing was foreshadowed obviously, the only surprise was that poor Margaery couldn't escape. Arya knocking Walder Frey off her list was fun, but why couldn't that have happened 5 episodes ago? The whole episode felt like setting the table for the conclusion of the series, and when I think about it, that's how this whole season felt.

I agree with nutella about the music though. Lots of new and beautiful themes in the finale!
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I liked the finale a lot, I can't even think of any nitpicks. Even the Dany stuff was great for me.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Olol, did people forget there's a thread here for discussing new eps? :p
I'm pretty much on auto-pilot at this point with watching this series, i.e. whatever they throw, I'll just watch it. The first two episodes both seemed to place pieces on the final chess board - at least until ep2's all-hell-break-loose ending (which was, echh, Euron-in-need-of-hype disposing of disposable characters; it's not like Cersei was going to get KO'd in just half of a penultimate season.

Have to say, though, ep2 especially hit me with some cringe, boring writing. Jon's scenes this episode have literally been copypasta from the previous one - it's either sitting with Sansa or having board meetings in which to deliver heroic, kinglike speeches. I also feel for Jorah, but during his medical scene with Sam, they both exhibited facial gestures that made me actually chuckle rather than take it as a dramatic moment. So there goes tone out the window.

Arya keeps having nice scenes, but otherwise I have genuinely no idea which plot I'm supposed to be that invested in.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Nobody here cares anymore (cont.)
The rushing pace of these final two seasons is beyond ridiculous, in relation to how they need to make up for six sluggish previous ones. Tyrion moved from the Reach to Dragonstone to King's Landing within 30 minutes of one single episode. :| It's even more inconsistent, considering the Walkers, on the other hand, seem apparently to be advancing at the pace of ten steps a day, just because they need to fulfill a finale season showdown material.

Even without having read the books, the feeling of this final stretch being watered down is so strong, I might contemplate actually reading the last two books of how GGRM planned the saga to en- oh wait he'll never write them. Plus, if anyone heard of the spoilers from the supposed hacking (and it does seem to go according to what was leaked, thus far), you'll know it'll only get worse. The show has entered Twilight tier at this point. I refuse to be fooled by this crappy and rushed of a plot, only because it's supposed to be entertaining and because dragons.

The show seems to have forgotten about Euron and Casterly Rock gang completely. It's been two episodes. Two *rolleyes*

Jon's performance is beyond annoying at this point - all his entries are speech after speech after speech. Same tone, same mannerisms.
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DrWilgy »

Man... I've been here how long and I'm only now dinding the GoT thread?
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Care to share something with us, Maester Wilgy who is definitely not a Maester?

Return to “Tinsel Town”