ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Re: ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Post by Ricochet »

I was distracted by Mafia during this episode, so I'd have to strain for some impressions. I was most ok with
Spoiler: show
Jon's story, actually. Felt like a good, simple wrap-up. Runner-up is Arya's story, because I'm ok with this taking three episodes to head in a new direction just as much.

Tyrion "doing... stuff" is starting to feel like a complete trainwreck. There is no chemistry and purpose to what he does there and who he's interacting with and even his snark is starting to fall completely flat. The standout character is growing dead inside. Yet again, I sense that the writers are surprisingly out of their depth. SVS, was this the slave you mentioned being cast this season? If so, it must mean the hot lady in the trailer is a different character and still to show up? Maybe it's Arianne. <3

Daenerys story progression at this point is just unbearable.

This week's flashback was kinda ugh. Too much nothing. Fight coreography seemed pretty good, though.

So really, completely neutral on this one, but it's episode 3 of 10 and my general impression is that the progression pace and style is incredibly bad.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 36

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, neutral is a good word.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Illyria
The Mark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Illyria »

That was one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen, the stunt team should be commended. Well thought out and executed.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Illyria wrote:
That was one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen, the stunt team should be commended. Well thought out and executed.
They should, but I think they're too dead to care.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

Ricochet wrote:
Illyria wrote:
They should, but I think they're too dead to care.
This actually took me a second, I almost went and googled "major accident on GoT set". :haha:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Well guess what, I rather liked this one. It had more moments with weight and significance, while the scenes that were merely filler or transitory didn't burden or bore as much. Snow/Stark reunion and plotting was again a strong point, because it felt to comform to a general assumption about where the narration in the books would go as well. Danaerys had her compulsory smug comeback moment, but even those scenes looked rather interesting and it was a relief for the plot to finally go somewhere. Sadly, it's not going anywhere over in King's Landing. Or Pyke. I still believe that the reign of Tyrion is a very, very poorly done and shockingly uninteresting part of the plot, but that negotiation scene was a bit more like it, at least.

Most not bad episode of the season by far, imo.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

LOVED IT. Best ep of the season thus far. I loved the Women Were Meant to Rule theme, all the way through. Sansa reading the letter (how creepy was that letter?) Brienne putting the Red Woman on notice :clap: Dany getting back to her roots, I have to say her Flamethrower Music is so good. I get so stoked when it happens. Majorie telling her brother to suck it the fuck up, I can't wait to see what happens when she gets free.

Jorah and Darrio buddy cop movie is fun, and I am glad they have gotten that story line put together that was a MESS.

I agree with Tyrion, and I would like to see more of that kind of stuff. He is good at that, and we should sell it.

I totally:
Cried with Sansa and Jon I needed that to happen so much, and their conversations immediately after was lovely.
Ship Tormund and Brienne with Edd. :srsnod: :noble: My new OTP! :D
Knew we would lose Asha and HATED IT. :sigh:
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 19

Post by a2thezebra »

I agree that it was a good episode overall, perhaps the best so far in this season, but am I the only that thought that Daenarys' final scene was ridiculously bad?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

No, I thought it was a bit derivative. I love the episode overall, that was the only complaint I really had as well. Although it must be said the whole emerging naked from the flames impressed the shit out of the Dothraki before, why not again?

Hopefully we get the story I was expecting (both show & books) when Dani first joined the Khalasar. the whole Drogo dying thing was so upsetting. I want to see the Screaming horde in Kings Landing.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

It doesn't make sense to me that it would work a second time because the Dothraki were already aware of Khaleesi's history with Khal Drogo and as the mother of dragons, they just didn't care because she wasn't in a position to impress anymore. Then she pulls the rabbit out of the hat again and then everyone's suddenly like "oh we didn't know you could like actually survive flames and shit, here let us all bow down to you even though you just killed our leaders and we don't like or care for you much at all." It just feels really unearned and unbelievable to me. Since Season 2 (with the exception of Season 5) it feels like the show's been nicer to Khaleesi than any other character, and that's been annoying me. When she gets lucky the show portrays her as a heroine when her blood is the only thing about her that has managed to get anyone's respect and/or loyalty, and when her decision-making skills are tested they are revealed to be tepid, over and over again. Yet the show seems to hand her success on a silver platter when every other character has to either earn it or at the very least seize an opportunity. Out of everyone in the show who believes that they are destined for greatness she's the only one where the show's presentation seems to agree with her.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I think, for me, where I can tell the writers no longer have a rudder is the Khaleesi story line. I understand why y'all thought it was derivative, but I will never tire of setting misogynists on fire. :D :noble: I also want to see the Dothraki horde with the Unsullied roll over Kings Landing like hot molasses SVS. :biggrin: Goooooood times.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I am loving how Tormund is "appreciating" Brienne. He thinks shes the hottest thing ever, you can just tell how he looks at her .
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

She's heeeeeeere!

Alas, it doesn't inspire the thought that she would be Arianne. In fact the Dorne stuff just dropped off the earth, right now. (Good riddance)
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

She is another red woman. Look at her necklace, her outfit. She is one of Melisandres sorority sisters.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I'm glad that the Arya, Sansa and Dany storylines are already moving in new directions. In previous seasons, these storylines would have taken all year. Jon's story is moving a little more slowly, so hopefully that pays off, but I'm expecting it to simply end with a big battle at Winterfell. And hopefully we get rid of the High Sparrow soon... I think that's gone on long enough at this point.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Some sort of resolution is definitely coming with the High Sparrow, but I love his segments in each episode. He's such a contrast to everything else. I like how powerless and irrelevant everyone and everything at King's Landing has become, mostly because of him.
This season has been the best since season 2 and it might even be able to surpass that by the end. I really like the direction everything is moving in and for the first time it actually feels like the show is building toward a resolution, even if it's still far off in the distance.

And RE: last night's episode: That was a different kind of emotional debilitation than I'm used to experiencing from Game of Thrones. :(
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Even though Arya is my favorite character in the books, I am finding her story arc with the endless staff fights with the waif & Jacquen saying enigmatic things to be kind of boring. I am also looking forward to seeing what Davos does when he finds out about Shireen. I was HORRIFIED that both Summer & Hodor died. I just couldn't :disappoint:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

My thoughts on you-know-what
The rest
was rather fine, actually. I might return with actual thoughts. I might not.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Sloonei wrote:
Some sort of resolution is definitely coming with the High Sparrow, but I love his segments in each episode. He's such a contrast to everything else. I like how powerless and irrelevant everyone and everything at King's Landing has become, mostly because of him.
This season has been the best since season 2 and it might even be able to surpass that by the end. I really like the direction everything is moving in and for the first time it actually feels like the show is building toward a resolution, even if it's still far off in the distance.

And RE: last night's episode: That was a different kind of emotional debilitation than I'm used to experiencing from Game of Thrones. :(
I think I may be starting to agree with this. Last night's episode was the first 10/10 episode I've seen from this show since Season 2's finale. The pacing was immaculate, every scene followed the one before it beautifully.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

That's ironic, because you complained about Dany's climax from 6x04 being/looking wonky, but to me the whole assault on the Tree in this one was cringy in effects and setpieces. And dat kid acting. Yeah, let's shout for 15 seconds, that will make the message clear.

I had no problem with the rest of the episode having considerable depth and flow. And mmm Kinvara.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I didn't complain about it being wonky, I complained about it being unwarranted and unbelievable. I can see how young Hodor may seem narmy to some but I was moved by it, as opposed to being enraged at 6x04. The reason I could see this season outdoing the second is because Dany was the first part about that season as well, for me anyway.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*worst part, not first part
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

So I just checked out " The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History if Westeros And the Game of Thrones" from my local library, and it is a great read. It has amazing art work and dives so much deeper into the world of ASOIAF . I live it so far.
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Ricochet wrote:
A way out of Dany spending episodes fighting against tribal patriarchy and potentially knitting forever as a widower - unwarranted? Hmm. :p

Idk it seemed like you disliked something about the execution of those scenes.

Speaking of unwarranted, though: cocky cock talk... and a cock.
The inexplicable obligatory cock was way more warranted than Dany's finale in 6x04. :P

To clarify, I don't mean it's unwarranted in the sense that I think that she should've just stayed there for the rest of the series. I mean it's unwarranted that she earned the respect of all the Dothraki so easily. All she did was not get burned, again. It was just lame in my opinion.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I also find it unbelievable that just burning the other Dothraki leaders to death...worked. Like, couldn't they just run away? Or stop her after she knocked down the first fire thingamabob? They're fucking Dothraki, not a spoiled Arryn child.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Fire burns, ykno. Also maybe you missed the fact that Jorah and Daario sealed the place shut, as far as running away goes.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Okay, I did miss that, which helps a lot. I still don't think that the Dothraki people who were totally dismissive of Dany even knowing her past successes before, would then bow down before her for killing their leaders and not getting burnt. Again. I was just like, really???
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I. AM. WRECKED. I can NOT BELIEVE we lost another godfrakingdamn Direwolf, we only have Ghost (and technically Nymeria)left. I just cant w/ Hodor. I just.. can't. I have not been hurt like that since I read the chapter that had "The Red Wedding" in it. :pout:

I am such an easy person, I loved this episode (and the ones previous). I really am looking forward to the Brienne/Sansa buddy cop movie and ohhhh MAN did I want her to kill Littlefinger. SO MUCH. I was stoked about The Blackfish, I hope we get to see him soon. I was actually kind of upset when Jon legit left The Wall. I want him to go and kick that twat's ass, but I was conflicted about it, which I think he is as well, so well done there.Dany and Jorah. :puppy: And there is a cure but I seroiusly doubt he will find it in time. The more I think about it, the less I think we will see Dany on the Iron Throne. I am starting to wonder if she will get all the way over to Westeros, kill everyone then die right at the last second by some lame way.

Arya watching the play was horrible. Poor baby. :( But whoooo those fight scenes with Bitch Face were REALLY good, the stunt team and fight choreographer really stepped it up this year. :huh:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

How could I forget the fantastic scene with Sansa, Brienne and Littlefinger!? That floored me. I'm also impressed with the fight choreography this season. If I were to compose a third party cut of this series (which I actually plan to do when it's over) I would remove almost all of the fight scenes until this season, to illustrate the feeling that shit is about to go down.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Hodor. Hodor :( That last scene was such a mindfuck (possibly even literally).

I have so many questions about Bran's abilities now. Can he influence the past, or has his influence on the past already occurred? I feel like a lot of mysteries are going to be solved with "Bran did it", time travel is such a cop-out. But I'm intrigued at least.

I really hope Littlefinger wasn't lying to Sansa. I'm worried that Brienne is walking into a trap. She should probably take the ginger wildling with her just to be safe.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

a2thezebra wrote:I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
What does that mean?
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

BEEEEEENJEEEEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg, longest tease EVER. I am glad they gave us an explanation as to why he has been gone for so long. Now that Bran has another protector I am hoping they start high tailing it south, cause.. damn.

Tomnen, you ass. :disappoint:

Marjorie was playing a Long Con that failed when you saw her face when the army showed up she was like "Damn, that was not what I thought was going to happen".

Jamie and Cersei felt like a goodbye. If Blackfish kills Jamie, I legit won't know how to feel. :puppy:

Yes Ayra, it is time for you to go. You have learned what you needed to learn. Get your ass on a boat and GTFO of there and head home.

Khalessi.. it is about damn time. I get they are setting up Yara showing up with the boats but this whole thing feels like it is taking forever. Which, to be fair, massive warfare does take forever to organize and implement... so I guess that is okay??? I just want her to lay waste to Westeros soon, but I guess she wont show up til the White Walkers show in Kings Landing or the Riverlands. :sigh:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I don't know about the rest of you, but this was probably the most satisfying and even episode of the season for me. Nothing bloated, nothing not worth sharing with the viewers story- and character-wise, nothing outrageous (well unless you count Her Smugness riding a dragon), the visuals were alright, the twists were fantasy-writing-worthy and quite agreeable.

Up until now, I would have prefered Arya to become the ascetic, distanced-from-the-world member of the Starks, but funny thing is, the scenes were so neatly constructed in this episode, I actually have no qualms with her betraying the cult and retaining a bit of herself after all. Hopefully the conclusion of this will be just as worthwhile.

Benjen, Bran and Meera scenes were also something I enjoyed. I felt the writing was finally spot on here, explanatory but still in a stylised way.

Sam and Gilly's visit to the family in law (holy frak was that fracking Dr. Chase?) was probably the closest thing to a "window into a place on that earth and an entourage which will never show up ever again, for us to care", but I enjoyed its resolution as well. I believe that sword is Valyrian? So yeah it foreshadows Sam becoming White Walker maesterslayer or something, right?

Lore-wise, it is my understanding that the Frey story and how they end up decimated after their shameful Red Wedding plot has been completely wasted in the series, but in this episode it felt like a decent "oh hey these guys still exist" moment.

I don't care how The Door blew everyone's minds, this for me was the most I-Can-Watch-and-Enjoy-This episode of the season, you guys.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Illyria wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:I should clarify that I plan to make the third party cut as a single piece, I'm estimating around 10-15 hours.
What does that mean?
An edited down version of the complete television series to flow as if it was a very long film. I've thought about doing this with other shows as well, such as Twin Peaks, Columbo, Buffy, Angel, and a few others.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

My response to the most recent episode was lukewarm. I liked it overall, especially Samwell's part which is a first, but the final scene was really tepid IMO. I am so tired of the show acting like Khaleesi is more magnificent than she actually is. Every single thing she does is portrayed as triumphant and it's annoying. Other than that though, I liked this one, and I'm glad Arya's story is heading in a new direction, although I was much more of a fan of her temporary quest to become no one in Season 5 than a lot of other people.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I heard something interesting the other day, is Khaleesi becoming a villain? Rulers know they can't go in and murder everyone, burn cities to the ground, etc.Which is what she has been saying she will do for some time now. Is the Targaryen (okay, my spell check just corrected that how great is that?) in her taking over? I think that would be a VERY interesting twist that I could get behind. :feb:
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I welcome it as well and I do think that's where it's going, it's just that I think this development should've happened way earlier. Like Season 2 earlier. As soon as Khal Drogo died this is the direction I believe Khaleesi should have immediately gone. As it is we've had over four seasons of what I would consider meandering with her arc.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I don't think it would matter for me if Daenerys ends up fully antagonised. She's a loose cannon and her urges to rule and reclaim may look 'bildungsroman'-like, but they could easily veer into the dark side. I think the talk with Daario summed up the whole thing. "Hey Dany you should focus on building yourself a new empire." *Dany jumps on dragonback* "NAH LET'S TAKE BAC WHATS MINE ROOOOOOOOAR"
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yup, her parents were brother & sister,and her dad was the Mad King.She could go madder than a hatter at any time. The cuter and more sympathetic she is now, the more shocking and GRRMish it would be in the end. A friend of mine suggested the possibility that she is the eventual big bad in the end game. Not sure if I would go that far, but I could easily see her going dark. Her dropping that ring was ominous to me.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

If she does become the big band in the end, that would make me almost forgive the extremely uneventful and unnecessarily long developments with her character arc. It would be great to have the one character in the entire series that the audience is actively encouraged to root for become the one character that is the primary antagonist of every other character that the audience has rooted for on the basis of the characters themselves.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

Given this new perspective, I have started to wonder. If she is the Big Bad (or band! We don't judge here) how in the WORLD are they going to kill all 3 dragons. Who, no lie, I will be more upset about losing than Dany. :blush: I would love to see Sansa and Jon in the North and Arya ruling down South. :noble:

But I am very sure that we are losing a Stark this season and I do not think it will be Rickon... or just Rickon. :eek: :huh:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Well, re dragons, don't forget she locked up two of the three and abandoned them. Tyrion let them go. My opinions on Dany, already complex, took a turn for the worse when she locked them up.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

S~V~S wrote:
Well, re dragons, don't forget she locked up two of the three and abandoned them. Tyrion let them go. My opinions on Dany, already complex, took a turn for the worse when she locked them up.
No, I didn't forget and I concur my feelings became confused and unhappy when she did that as well. But there are still three of them, and I am guessing in order to survive in any world it would be "safer" sans dragons. I had a great dream of Sansa and Ayra riding the other two until Dany fucked it all up. :mad: :rolleyes: :doh:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Alright I just spent this week catching up on the season and I'm actually really liking it for the most part. Some thoughts:
- That Hodor reveal. Was NUTS. Damn that was mindbending.
- I've really loved every bit of Arya's storyline, and Sansa's as well. I love all the starklings too much I just want them to be ok. If Asshole Faceless Girl kills Arya I will flip ten thousand shits she is not meant to die. And I hope Bran and Benjen meet up with Jon and Sansa eventually (though we've probably already far exceeded the Stark reunion quota for the year).
- Gilly meeting the parents was SUUUPER awkward. Glad they got out of there. And damn if that is not the most ADORABLE baby!!
- I agree with zebra re: Dany. She's always been kinda boring to me and is just constantly overrated and glorified and I'm really tired of it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

nutella wrote: - I agree with zebra re: Dany. She's always been kinda boring to me and is just constantly overrated and glorified and I'm really tired of it.[/spoiler]
I'M NOT ALONE, THANK YOU! :noble:

This video touches on one of my (many) problems with how the show handles Dany. Although I disagree with the video's main point because I don't think that adaptations are obligated to keep the spirit of what they're adapting, I have not read the books myself and this video has gotten me more curious about them than I ever thought I would be simply because this guy makes the ideology of the books sound more interesting than the ideology of the show, though neither are set in stone yet. Spoilers for the books and for the show:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

CLEGANEBOWL CONFIRMED WOOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

G
E
T

H
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
P
P
P
P
P

Bet you didn't expect Ian McShane to be so... one-moment, though. He should have been Euron, instead.

Anyway, I was ok with this episode, too. King's Landing is as filler as always, but that's about it. Very pre-wars-y feel to it, in a good way. I can only assume Stark and Lannisters battling their own will be the thematic of this season's culmination.

Also, how exactly do you survive this many stabs in the belly?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Pretty alright episode. Nice to see ol Houndy again, nice to have a break from Dany. Jon/Sansa/Davos seeking support was actually interesting for what it's leading up to. I loved the Asha/Theon scene (I refuse to call her Yara she will always be Asha). And Arya, yiiikes I am really hoping against hope for her.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Lyanna Mormont FTW.