ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Re: ASOIAF: Game of Thrones

Post by Ricochet »

Silly rant below. Double warning for members who haven't read the books all the way through (or haven't been spoiled, at least) to seriously not open the spoiler tab.
Spoiler: show
So even though it's pretty obvious by now how much the show is capable of twisting with people's minds and reactions during shocking twists and such, I was still overwhelmed by so much talk in Social Media happened and how silly it was at times. What really made me log out of Facebook and even turn my PC off for a week was seeing how every person who read the books, was spoiled regarding to book events, believes the R+L=J theory and/or the Melisandre will rezz Jon theory and so forth would act cocky in reply to every other person who would post "oh noo they killd Jon Snoo". I get the latter camp for being shocked, but how interesting do the former think they are by CONSTANTLY posting reply in the form "Jon Snow will (be) revive(d) next season / Melisandre will rezz him, mark my words, SNAPSHOT THIS REPLY I'M GOING ALL IN ON THIS GUESS NO SWEAT". Urgghhh.

Not to mention the "I haven't watched it yet please don't spoil me I'M SERIOUS I'LL HATE YOU FOREVER IF YOU DO" camp." Seriously?
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:Silly rant below. Double warning for members who haven't read the books all the way through (or haven't been spoiled, at least) to seriously not open the spoiler tab.
So even though it's pretty obvious by now how much the show is capable of twisting with people's minds and reactions during shocking twists and such, I was still overwhelmed by so much talk in Social Media happened and how silly it was at times. What really made me log out of Facebook and even turn my PC off for a week was seeing how every person who read the books, was spoiled regarding to book events, believes the R+L=J theory and/or the Melisandre will rezz Jon theory and so forth would act cocky in reply to every other person who would post "oh noo they killd Jon Snoo". I get the latter camp for being shocked, but how interesting do the former think they are by CONSTANTLY posting reply in the form "Jon Snow will (be) revive(d) next season / Melisandre will rezz him, mark my words, SNAPSHOT THIS REPLY I'M GOING ALL IN ON THIS GUESS NO SWEAT". Urgghhh.

Not to mention the "I haven't watched it yet please don't spoil me I'M SERIOUS I'LL HATE YOU FOREVER IF YOU DO" camp." Seriously?
You're right, that was silly.
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by unfurl »

I could not resisted, I read the spoiler tag :doh:
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by reywaS »

I have mixed feelings on season 5. Some of it was great. Some of it was shit.
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DharmaHelper »

reywaS wrote:I have mixed feelings on season 5. Some of it was great. Some of it was shit.
The end of the credits of the last episode was great I agree. 10/10
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 10

Post by fingersplints »

reywaS wrote:I have mixed feelings on season 5. Some of it was great. Some of it was shit.
I feel the same. :hug:
Gro-oo-ovy
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Idk why I even kept watching through this season. They really fucked up a lot of the storylines. Like the only ones they got mostly right were Arya and Cersei (and kinda Dany I guess but I don't care as much about that >_>). Everything else was just so incredibly fucked up.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I don't watch the show or read the books at all, but I'm pretty sure Dany and Arya are the only stories that matter?

Certainly, it feels that way from the outside :D and maybe Tyrion.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 36

Post by S~V~S »

A lot of people thought Jon was the savior or the Westerosi equivalent thereof. But the actor said he isn't coming back pretty unequivocally and he cut his hair, so :shrug:
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ok wow I really don't see one bit of the spoiler text on my tablet.
Maybe rezzd Jon will be intentionally recast. Idk what to make of his statements, because it can easily be a ruse from the producers, as for the hairdo... :shrug: I still have friends who legitimately claim Jon is essential to the whole GoT endgame, so to say, and that any less of a rezz/reincarnation would be BS - book, show, regardless.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

S~V~S wrote:
A lot of people thought Jon was the savior or the Westerosi equivalent thereof. But the actor said he isn't coming back pretty unequivocally and he cut his hair, so :shrug:
The way he said it though was "I'm dead. I'm not coming back next season." So it is possible we just won't see him next season... while his hair grows back :grin:

It's hard to say because I feel the actor and producers would be saying this if he was and wasn't coming back. I think a lot of people, myself included, feel a bit cheated since he seemed so important to the overall story. I always thought that in the end he would team up with Dany + dragons to beat the whitewalkers.

:sigh: :shrug2:
Gro-oo-ovy
unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

fingersplints wrote:
S~V~S wrote:
The way he said it though was "I'm dead. I'm not coming back next season." So it is possible we just won't see him next season... while his hair grows back :grin:

It's hard to say because I feel the actor and producers would be saying this if he was and wasn't coming back. I think a lot of people, myself included, feel a bit cheated since he seemed so important to the overall story. I always thought that in the end he would team up with Dany + dragons to beat the whitewalkers.

:sigh: :shrug2:
I really hope Jon comes backs, one way or another, if rezz or even as white walker XD
He has been my favorite since the start :cloud9:

I did thought, after watching the show that Mellisandre was full of it, about the lord of lightand Stannis,
so if she is able to rezz Jon Snow, at least she will have some purpose in the show
I also thought while watching the show, and watching Jon dying, well they gonna need to burn his body or he is gonna become a white walker
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

fingersplints wrote:
I feel the same. :hug:
Me too, sort of. I enjoyed the season from start to finish, but when it wrapped up it didn't feel like enough had happened for a full season. The only plots that felt concluded in any way were the ones around the Wall (though of course, the Wall storyline is really only just beginning but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN). Arya's story was very good, but felt like it could have all been covered in half a season, and did it really need to take Tyrion 8 episodes to meet Dany? His whole journey felt a bit dragged out (but his eventual arrival and entrance at the fighting pit was one of the highlights of the season).

I've been deliberately avoiding the books so I can enjoy the show on its own merits. I think it's working. If i'd read the books i assume i'd have a number of complaints that don't even exist in my ignorant brain right now. The show is doing just fine.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

Finally gave in and started watching this three days ago. Almost done with Season 2 :| #addicted

So, my question is this: Why hasn't anyone made a GOT mafia yet?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Zeek, when you do, I bags being in house Martell :noble:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

I don't know enough to construct a game! It's ripe for adapting though and it's certainly got the fanbase to fill up quickly.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

zeek wrote:Finally gave in and started watching this three days ago. Almost done with Season 2 :| #addicted

So, my question is this: Why hasn't anyone made a GOT mafia yet?
Keys, Splints husband, did at the Piano.I started to here but there are sooo many factions, I was thinking of it as a challenge. I think I would like to see how Timmer & MP do Wheel of Time. The way the Flash played out gave me some ideas, too. Basically I was thinking of it as a fluid alignment game. Almost everyone can be recruited, but only by certain people. Some people can be recruited more than once. Not everyone know who can recruit them, although some might.

I was basing my alignments on the books, not the shows. But I don't know how Spoiler-y that would be. For instance, I had thought to (BOOK SPOILERS)
Have Jamie recruitable away from the Lannisters by Brienne, but people who have seen the show but not read the books would totally be confused by that, so it might take away from the central mechanic.
What is nice about it is that you can have as few, or as many, factions as you want, so it can be a small game or a huge one.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I want to be Tyrion again! :hugs:
Gro-oo-ovy
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I think I will submit it to the Speed Queue~ then we can tailor roles to the number of sign ups we have, and if it is awesome, we can then rerun it as a full game with 30+ roles, and if it is awful, well, it was worth trying :)
Illyria
The Mark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Illyria »

*sings*

Tonight! Tonight! Hot Damn it is coming tonight!

Bonus points if anyone can guess the movie that is from btw. :D

Also, this will be the first time many of us will have no idea what is about to happen. I feel pressured and at risk. :omg: :huh: :omg:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

West Side Story?

That is the version I have been humming all day long!!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

No spoilies, I'm catching it only tomorrow evening.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Agreed. I am sure others may not wish to be spoiled.
SPOILERS SHOULD BE PUT IN SPOILER TAGS!! SOME PEOPLE MAY BE WATCHING DELAYED.
Thank You~!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Brienne can use any bathroom she likes <3 Boo Yah Brienne!!
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

S~V~S wrote:
Brienne can use any bathroom she likes <3 Boo Yah Brienne!!
:clap:
Easily my favorite scene of the episode. I saw it coming a mile away, yet I literally stood up and started cheering when she rode in.

And what about Pod!? Go Pod!
Some day, Some day
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

The Dorne scene did nothing more than to further piss me off that the Dorne storyline was completely wasted in the show.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Agreed.
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

S~V~S wrote:West Side Story?

HAHAHAA.

No, that is a line from "A Christmas Story" when the Dad's major prize is on the way. :D

Before I start replying to people and espousing my opinion on things, I don't think most of you know how I roll when it comes to stuff like this. I am along for the ride. The only time I have ever gotten upset when something diverged from any book was OOTP, which was a fucking travesty of a movie and it disgusts me. Other than that, I am usually pretty good with what I get as long as it is close. Hollywood is run by morons, so I have low expectations. :srsnod:

Ricochet wrote:
The Dorne scene did nothing more than to further piss me off that the Dorne storyline was completely wasted in the show.
I disagree, at least they are slightly more bad ass than they were last season. :nicenod:

LOVED the episode, not knowing what will be happening, for the most part, is kind of freeing and frustrating at the same time. Much like everyone else, I HOLLERED when Brienne came riding out, (POOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!) :dance: and then I got all verklempt when Sansa recited the same words as her mother to Brienne. She even looked like her standing there. :why: (How did Theon kill that guy by shoving a sword through his back when he had his shield on?)

I liked the Dany plot point, and I think I agree with the consensus. She needs reinforcements besides the Unsullied in order to take Westeros.

Ayra is also back to the beginning having to learn to fight while vulnerable to everything.

Ser Davos FTMFW. "I would like some mutton"

And Edd. :( He hurt my black and scarred heart. Also GHHOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTT *sobs*

And now.. The Red Woman... One. WOAAAAH. Two. I believe she is going to try to bring Jon back. It makes sense since she knows it can be done (Beric Donderrean) and they made a point of it in the show. They have skipped and dropped things before, but went out of their way to show this, so I still remain steadfast in my hope. :noble: Mainly because I don't know if I can handle the Starks losing all of their boys-- even if I am Super Girl Power about this show and life in general. I would love to see Jon and Dany make beautiful babies because good lord those two are pretty.

I want to see Sam, he is going to be devastated when he finds out about Jon.
We need a crying smiley!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

It's not about the badassery (although Ellaria is hardly interesting tbqh... muh revengeful widow), it's about how undeveloped the characters and how transitory the setting and the fragments related to this story were. Plus, it gives me the impression that Arianne Martell has been completely written off, which - judging from how relevant and sexy her wikipedia synopsis is - is a shame. [Then again, I saw a new, seductive face in the trailers, so maybe there's still hope...]

Didn't Theon stab him through the neck or somewhere above the back shield, anyway?

I understand the Melissande reveal has been foreshadowed or hinted in the books. It wasn't that compelling of a final scene to me personally. As for the ressurection, I'm wondering how long they'll try to play with it. Usually episodes 2, 7, 9 and 10 are big ones in a season, with not much in between but development (and sometimes filler), so either it'll happen soon or they'll stretch it real thin, which could become annoying.
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

So as an avid book fan, who hated the last episode of the last season, is this new episode worth watching or will I start yelling at the screen?
Like I assume the Prince , the Golden Company, and Stoneheart haven't made an appearance.
ImageImage
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

Illyria wrote:
S~V~S wrote:West Side Story?

HAHAHAA.

No, that is a line from "A Christmas Story" when the Dad's major prize is on the way. :D

Before I start replying to people and espousing my opinion on things, I don't think most of you know how I roll when it comes to stuff like this. I am along for the ride. The only time I have ever gotten upset when something diverged from any book was OOTP, which was a fucking travesty of a movie and it disgusts me. Other than that, I am usually pretty good with what I get as long as it is close. Hollywood is run by morons, so I have low expectations. :srsnod:

Ricochet wrote:
I disagree, at least they are slightly more bad ass than they were last season. :nicenod:

LOVED the episode, not knowing what will be happening, for the most part, is kind of freeing and frustrating at the same time. Much like everyone else, I HOLLERED when Brienne came riding out, (POOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!) :dance: and then I got all verklempt when Sansa recited the same words as her mother to Brienne. She even looked like her standing there. :why: (How did Theon kill that guy by shoving a sword through his back when he had his shield on?)

I liked the Dany plot point, and I think I agree with the consensus. She needs reinforcements besides the Unsullied in order to take Westeros.

Ayra is also back to the beginning having to learn to fight while vulnerable to everything.

Ser Davos FTMFW. "I would like some mutton"

And Edd. :( He hurt my black and scarred heart. Also GHHOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTT *sobs*

And now.. The Red Woman... One. WOAAAAH. Two. I believe she is going to try to bring Jon back. It makes sense since she knows it can be done (Beric Donderrean) and they made a point of it in the show. They have skipped and dropped things before, but went out of their way to show this, so I still remain steadfast in my hope. :noble: Mainly because I don't know if I can handle the Starks losing all of their boys-- even if I am Super Girl Power about this show and life in general. I would love to see Jon and Dany make beautiful babies because good lord those two are pretty.

I want to see Sam, he is going to be devastated when he finds out about Jon.
We need a crying smiley!
I think Melisandre will bring Jon back as Thorne and crew break through the door. They will see Jon rise and stop dead in their tracks. Thorne will scream at them to kill Jon (again) and Jon will kill Thorne. That's my prediction anyway. Regardless of the how, I definitely think Jon is coming back.
Some day, Some day
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

sig wrote:So as an avid book fan, who hated the last episode of the last season, is this new episode worth watching or will I start yelling at the screen?
Like I assume the Prince , the Golden Company, and Stoneheart haven't made an appearance.
Dunno, the only serious events happen in Dorne.

Also hahhaha, Stoneheart... yeah that's never happening.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

sig wrote:So as an avid book fan, who hated the last episode of the last season, is this new episode worth watching or will I start yelling at the screen?
I am an avid book fan as well. Although I do like the Sansa story arc better on the show if I must be honest. That Jeyne Poole thing was weird. Alot of the book purists I know stopped watching after Shireen & Stannis dying. At this point, for the most part, they are past the books, so perhaps you can be pissed off in advance,lol?
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

TV Show AND Book spoilers. I don't think the book spoilers will ruin the show for anyone since we've diverted from it, but if you plan to read the book and want to be surprised I'd suggest you don't look at the below.
Yeah that really really annoyed me, they ruined Stannis character by doing that.
I did end up watching it last night. Parts were okay. The Wall portion was interesting, the red women being an old lady was shocking at first, but when you consider she has glamour and the text always mentions how her necklace is glimmering and how she smells it could be something we will see in the book. The Dany portion was good, I'm thinking she will be the one who unites all the Dothrakian under a single Khal (her) at their city.
Now for what I disliked, the whole Kings Landing portion was meh, the fact that the church locked Loras up for being gay, and his sister the queen for lying about knowing he was gay? While that was never an issue in the books to the church.That is such a wtf moment and leaves the book realm completely. To me it seems like the producers wanted to make the church seem evil or more evil depending on who you side with.
Plus Loras isn't even there in the books he is dying on Dragonstone.
Dorne was, well........it was horribly. THEY KILLED ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING CHARACTERS! All those good chapters the great plot lines of Dorne, the amazing characters, gone. poof. no more Dorne. Ellaria Sand was agaisnt violence to begin with, the sand snakes never did anything agaisnt Doran and by the end of the book we see them working for him. The grand plots of Doran never happened, Plus they killed Hotah
someone who was so skilled he killed a member of the Kingsguard and was at least in the show on an equal level to the two handed Jaime, not to mention they ruined Doran's character, the Sand snakes, and they got rid of Arianne. I did have a brief few seconds where I was hoping the snakes would underestimate Trystane and he would kill them both then get revenge, but no they kill him in a reallllly stupid way. So I'm not impressed with this season. This also shows that Aegon won't make an appearance in the show. Oh and I also dislike that Sansa was shipped off to marry a Bolton by Little Finger, I don't think he'd have given her to Ramsey.
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I had problems when they lost Quentyn & Arianne Martell and made Ellaria into some kind of war mongerer. I LOVED Quentyn. I think they trashed the whole Dorne story arc. When Jamie & Bronn went off to rescue Myrcella, I was like WTF?? I 1,000% agree with you re Dorne. That whole thing was shit. It is almost like they treated that whole story arc as a way to kill Myrcella & that was about it. That and burning a 10 y/o girl alive, I was not sure I wanted to come back this year, either, lol. I used to be really active on one of the ASOIAF sub reddits, and "Stannis the Mannis" had a huge following. They lost ALOT of people with that story arc.
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

Yes it seems like they only burned her for shock value or they needed to make Stannis such a jerk nobody would care what happened to him. I think without the book to follow the producers are lost. Or they just don't care and are doing their own thing.

I also wonder does Melisandre believe Stannis is the chosen one, or is she simply an agent of chaos who is preparing for the invasion by Dany? I mean she did arrive in Westeros before Dany had her dragons, but you think if the main body of the church agrees Dany is the chosen one, someone would've tuned Melisandre in on it.
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I think she really believed it. That last scene was about how vulnerable she felt. She was SO sure, and she was SO wrong. That combined with the part where she said, "But I saw him fighting in WInterfell...". She is floored that she was wrong, imo.

I am thinking Ramsey will kill has father next week. Roose basically threatened him with Waldas baby over Ramsey playing his games with Sansa; but he swore to crazy Mirandas corpse that he would make them suffer. None of Ramseys dreams come true with Daddy alive, so Daddy has got to go.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Nice avatar by the way.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I remember some banter on 4chan that Ramsay possibly killing Roose was either a leaked information or a detail slip in one of the trailers.

Anyway, seriously, any thoughts who this might be? (1) (2) I sure hope it won't be revealed to be some simple mistress or seductress or whatever, because she managed to get me interested only by two frames in the trailer.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I heard a rumor of ANOTHER Red Woman,and I think that is her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/2 ... 57650.html
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Although that actress looks different :shrug:
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

Thanks! :)

If we believe the red women is glamoured/magic then it could be another version. I also saw a theory awhile back that they are all really faceless ones, so if the red women is just a faceless one maybe it's just that. Though one hole in the glamour theory, if she was just glamoured how did she do all that stuff? Have a shadow child, ride a horse, not be old in anyway? The other possibility would be that the Red Women aged because she performed some magic and that was the cost, but I doubt it.
I was over at westeros.org and a good portion of them seem very unhappy with this episode.
Have any of you heard of the Great Northern Conspiracy, if so what do you think? It would be awesome if it was real and I could see GRRM dropping hints in the books about it.
ImageImage
Illyria
The Mark

Post by Illyria »

I have not sig, do tell!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

This is more book based than show based. There was also a Great Southern Conspiracy theory, which I suppose is still possible in the books, due to changes in the story, it would have to significantly change for it to work on the show.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A.V. Club is doing articles with odds on who might die in the next episode(s) and that's such lazy clickbait, even for them.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, but it does pretty much lay out the Northern Conspiracy Theory, which was the topic.

And I voted in one of those polls, I think that
Roose Bolton

will die next week.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Ironically, that name never came up in that article, but Theon's did
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

Illyria wrote:I have not sig, do tell!
SVS posted a good accurate video about it, it's almost 100% book based.
The original theory was created by someone on reddit I believe, it is really in depth and good imo. If you're a book fan you'll enjoy reading it.
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, I saw it on reddit, too. All those poor Stannis the Mannis people, I have not been there in a while, they must have been broken hearted :p
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

S~V~S wrote:Yeah, I saw it on reddit, too. All those poor Stannis the Mannis people, I have not been there in a while, they must have been broken hearted :p
lol yes, I never was a fan of Stannis, but it was heartbreaking to see some of their posts.
ImageImage

Return to “Tinsel Town”