Academy Award nominees

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Academy Award nominees

Post by Ricochet »

Holy crap, I didn't realize Captain Fantastic was directed by the actor who plays Gavin Belson in Silicon Valley... XD
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by timmer »

I've seen just about all I can see before the big show, so here are my thoughts:

Best Picture
Arrival - I quite enjoyed this for its emotional underpinnings, but the sci-fi plot end of the film is problematic.
Fences - brutally honest film, judging you as you judge its lead character. But Denzel could have done more with it.
Hacksaw Ridge - a garbage screenplay tacked onto a visceral war film. But when I say garbage.. I mean, this is the whole dump level bad.
La La Land - Overshoots repeatedly, needed to be reigned in, but man, when it hits it hits BIG. Your winner, right here.
Manchester by the Sea - this cut me to the bone. Would be a WELL-deserved winner, if it could win, which it probably can't.
Moonlight - A great film, and the only film other than Manchester that I think would be worthy of being called Best Picture.

Actor, Leading
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea - Stunning work, just stunning. The only thing holding him back from destroying this category is the ongoing controversies dogging him about how he treats women on the sets of his films.
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge - He's great in both if his big roles this year, and his anchoring of Silence could lend him some votes here... don't count him out as a shock winner
Ryan Gosling, La La Land - he fits the film perfectly and has great chemistry with Stone. I can't see that being enough to win, but if La La sweeps, Gosling could possibly be swept into a win?
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic - he's always solid and does good work with his role here, but the film is awful and lets him down. He's the only one of the five who I can say has zero chance of winning.
Denzel Washington, Fences - As a director, Denzel didn't do enough. As an actor, he did more than enough. He knows the role so well, the whole film is his baby, he could def win this.

This is a surprisingly competitive category, and a super solid one. I think affleck gets it but Denzel and Garfield could both spoil, and if La La is huge... hoenstly, I wouldn't bet any money on this category.

Actress, Leading
Isabelle Huppert, Elle - amazing work, amazing career, amazing woman. Definitely a main contender.
Natalie Portman, Jackie - Very modulated, studied, rehearsed work, very much a la Daniel Day-Lewis for my money. I think if she hadn't won before, she'd win this year, but that previous win will push her out of contention.
Emma Stone, La La Land - If Huppert hasn't got this sewed up, Stone will take it. La La Land is her big moment, easily her best work yet.

Actor, Supporting
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight - Moonlight could have been nominated several different ways, and I'd have preferred to see Andre Holland here, but Ali is great in his limited screen time, and would be a fine winner.
Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea - An interesting performance, as on one hand he doesn't seem to be "acting" but on the other he is acting just like a teenager, so maybe he's in a way great? He has no chance, anyway.
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals - A popular actor but I can't see him beating Ali.

Actress, Supporting
Viola Davis, Fences - I really hope she wins. She puts so much of herself into the role she blows snot bubbles. Do you know how invested in a role you have to be to do that, lol? She's amazing here.
Naomie Harris, Moonlight - the only performance I did not like in the film, so I'm not rooting for her
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea - She's kind of bad in the film, and her role in underwritten anyway. I'd hate for her to win here.

Directing
Denis Villeneuve, Arrival - Villeneuve is def. going to win this one day, but it won't be this year even if Arrival was solid.
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge - I guess he's all cool, now? Can't complain about his work in the battle scenes, at least.
Damien Chazelle, La La Land - One of only 2 people who can win this, and really, the only one. But Whiplash was tighter and better/
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea - I think he gets more props as a writer than a director. I'd be stunned if he won, but happily stunned
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight - the most assured, solid directing effort of the five, this SHOULD be his award. But there is no way he'll beat Chazelle.
My siggie.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Good stuff, timmer, we're much on the same side, except at Michelle Williams is bad in Manchester (why), Manchester being worthy (ech), kid in Manchester being good (ech).

If you like Huppert, please track down L'avenir (Things to Come). I pretty much don't believe, chance-wise, in her getting the Oscar, because older better foreigner actresses have been acknowledged in the past years, but never awarded (Emmanuelle Riva in Amour, Charlotte Rampling in 45 Years).
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Oh I loved Things To Come!
My siggie.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Y u no post in the movies thread regularly? :evileye:
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Lol I guess I just tend to forget?
My siggie.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Dunno why I remembered Viola Davis having won an Oscar before. Probably mixed her up with Octavia Spencer from The Help. Anyway, I can now fully endorse her receiving it. I mean, it's still a check-all-boxes kind of performance, still the other four don't come even close to adequate contention. Both her and, ironically, Spencer yet again, are the only nominees doing a full, fleshed out role in their movies.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

With two days to go, I'll go ahead and put a firm call on both my preferences and predictions for this thing.
-
Should win
Will win
Best Picture
Moonlight
La La Land
Directing
Barry Jenkins
Damien Chazelle
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Casey Affleck
hmm, I can genuinely smell a Denzel grab
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Isabelle Huppert
Emma Stone :(
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Mahershala Ali
still the most volatile, unpredictable category by nature, but hopefully Mahershala Ali
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Viola Davis
Viola Davis
Best Animated Film
idc
idc
Best Adapted Screenplay
ugh, toughie. Fences, I guess
Fences
Best Original Screenplay
lol, The Lobster
La La Carp
Best Cinematography
Silence
La La Land
Documentary (Feature)
N/A
O.J.
Best Foreign Language
The Salesman
Toni Erdmann
Best Original Score
Jackie
La La Land
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Golden »

Is Moana nominated for Best Original Score?

I feel that should win, but that's primarily because it made that movie feel like home, which means the music was completely on point. It almost made me cry in places because of how much it felt like it captured my culture (I say as a white boy who adopts the culture only by where I was born and raised).
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

It is not, only Best Song.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

6/12 guessed right, although I can't really complain about most of my fantasy picks proving right either. :)

Denzel had some tears showing there, which is quite rare to see. To my living memory, only Bill Murray looked miffed about not getting it (for Lost in Translation) and I remember Joaquin Phoenix having once had a "who even cares man, I'm not going to take it" .gif moment. But to be honest, I still wouldn't have picked him.

Should've seen that screenplay nod flying towards Manchester, oh well. Should've definitely seen that Best Picture and Adapted sync would happen, as it often does.

The only award I find a travesty out of this entire business is the Original Score. Seconded probably by Best Actress. Again, I did not mind Stone's input in Bla Bla Bland, but when you reflect on it, it came nowhere close to Portman's work on her character and Huppert's sheer flair.

Lastly, quite a stunt there at the end. Quite a stunt. Moonlight getting it would have rubbed it in anyway, but I guess they decided to spice up the moment, for once.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by G-Man »

I'm glad La La Land didn't win mostly because it would reinforce the (mostly true) notion that Hollywood is so full of themselves that they can't help but give awards to films about Hollywood/LA/the movie industry/acting in general.

It was a disgraceful mistake at the end. I feel bad for Beatty and Dunaway because they must feel like idiots for simply doing their job. Then again, why the heck didn't Beatty ask for clarification? If he thought it would make him look foolish, then the joke is on him. I feel bad for all the La La Land folk who got up on stage and then had to turn tail and sneak away. That's awkward and hard to live down. Finally, I feel terrible for the Moonlight people. It's bad enough that few people (especially few Americans) will ever watch that film, but just about everyone will always remember 'that movie that won the year the Oscars screwed up Best Picture.' That is a horrible footnote to be relegated to.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I have the impression that, with a bit more presence of mind, Beatty could have perhaps set things right - albeit still adding a few more seconds to an awkward interruption of an otherwise standard award call. He literally hesitated a lot there, but I think he then reached out to Faye, she must have interpreted as being let to announce it and went "LA LA LAND", lol. Murky stuff to disseminate, anyway.

Of course one can feel bad about the winners and losers involved during that minute, but a stunt is still a stunt, even if they weren't part of it. If anything, this has dispelled a bit my belief that these wins are well known in advance, by the winners.

I don't think Best Picture movies in the collective memory of the common moviegoers is a much relevant topic - especially given how much more campaigning through the process of nominations and awards weighs in. Is Spotlight from last year remembered, even though it was awarded "properly"? [/i]If the former were true, the real winner of the night would then be Suicide Squad, lol. Piece of utter crap, was seen by millions of people, now has an Oscar. Moonlight surely did its fair share of lobbying to push ahead during the last stretch, plus as far as interested cinephiles are concerned, it has toured and maybe still will tour many festivals.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Ricochet wrote:I don't think Best Picture movies in the collective memory of the common moviegoers is a much relevant topic
This is a very valid point. Ask the average American to name a Best Picture winner and (depending on their age) the most likely two answers will be The Godfather and Titanic. A lot of Best Picture winners lack staying power, in my opinion. As diverse as viewing tastes and habits have become, it's hard for a Best Picture winner to enter the cultural consciousness for simply winning the award. Sometimes the awards chase after films that seem to be entering cultural consciousness though. It seems like it's easier to remember what didn't win (aka what some perceive as getting robbed).

Case in point- what was the last Best Picture winner to have both lasting popularity and impact on film?
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King? Unless you want to question the "impact on film" part. :p

One could argue even Gladiator or American Beauty - and they both happened in successive years.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Epignosis »

They should have let Steve Harvey announce the winner.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Ricochet wrote:The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King?

Here's every Best Picture winner thus far:
2016- "Moonlight"
2015 - "Spotlight"
2014 - "Birdman"
2013 - "12 Years a Slave"
2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
2000 - "Gladiator"
1999 - "American Beauty"
1998 - "Shakespeare in Love"
1997 - "Titanic"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
1993 - "Schindler’s List"
1992 - "Unforgiven"
1991 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
1990 - "Dances With Wolves"
1989 - "Driving Miss Daisy"
1988 - "Rain Man"
1987 - "The Last Emperor"
1986 - "Platoon"
1985 - "Out of Africa"
1984 - "Amadeus"
1983 - "Terms of Endearment"
1982 - "Gandhi"
1981 - "Chariots of Fire"
1980 - "Ordinary People"
1979 - "Kramer vs. Kramer"
1978 - "The Deer Hunter"
1977 - "Annie Hall"
1976 - "Rocky"
1975 - "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
1974 - "The Godfather Part II"
1973 - "The Sting"
1972 - "The Godfather"
1971 - "The French Connection"
1970 - "Patton"
1969 - "Midnight Cowboy"
1968 - "Oliver!"
1967 - "In the Heat of the Night"
1966 - "A Man for All Seasons"
1965 - "The Sound of Music"
1964 - "My Fair Lady"
1963 - "Tom Jones"
1962 - "Lawrence of Arabia"
1961 - "West Side Story"
1960 - "The Apartment"
1959 - "Ben-Hur"
1958 - "Gigi"
1957 - "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
1956 - "Around the World in 80 Days"
1955 - "Marty"
1954 - "On the Waterfront"
1953 - "From Here to Eternity"
1952 - "The Greatest Show on Earth"
1951 - "An American in Paris"
1950 - "All About Eve"
1949 - "All the Kings Men"
1948 - "Hamlet"
1947 - "Gentleman's Agreement"
1946 - "The Best Years of Our Lives"
1945 - "The Lost Weekend"
1944 - "Going My Way"
1943 - "Casablanca"
1942 - "Mrs. Miniver"
1941 - "How Green Was My Valley"
1940 - "Rebecca"
1939 - "Gone with the Wind"
1938 - "You Can't Take It with You"
1937 - "The Life of Emile Zola"
1936 - "The Great Ziegfeld"
1935 - "Mutiny on the Bounty"
1934 - "It Happened One Night"
1932/1933 - "Cavalcade"
1931/1932 - "Grand Hotel"
1930/1931 - "Cimarron"
1929/1930 - "All Quiet on the Western Front"
1928/1929 - "The Broadway Melody"
1927/1928 - "Wings" and "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans"
I have seen 61 of the films on that list (still working on the rest- the wife and I took a break two years ago and will get back on track this summer). Very few of them pack that one-two punch of being liked and impacting filmmaking. Only a few of the recent ones had a shelf life of more than a few years.

I don't know if I can agree with you on Gladiator. Sometimes the Academy just falls in love with a spectacle (didn't hurt to appease the masses either). What did it do for film? It didn't bring back sword and sandals flicks and CGI was already on the rise. Is it the notion that popular entertainment can also be artistically executed?

As for American Beauty, I was not a fan early on. It's amusing more so than ground-breaking for me. It owes a lot of it's hip, sarcastic, and self-deprecating stylings to Quentin Tarantino and the early 90s indie film renaissance. In some ways, it's like Pulp Fiction's intentionally hip construct meets suburbia.
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I take back my interpretation of Beatty. Saw this video (Facebook only?) and it appears he was a bit of a douche, after all, lol.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man wrote:
I don't know if I can agree with you on Gladiator. Sometimes the Academy just falls in love with a spectacle (didn't hurt to appease the masses either). What did it do for film? It didn't bring back sword and sandals flicks and CGI was already on the rise. Is it the notion that popular entertainment can also be artistically executed?

As for American Beauty, I was not a fan early on. It's amusing more so than ground-breaking for me. It owes a lot of it's hip, sarcastic, and self-deprecating stylings to Quentin Tarantino and the early 90s indie film renaissance. In some ways, it's like Pulp Fiction's intentionally hip construct meets suburbia.
If anything, your arguments do tend to prove there is a crevasse between popularity and film impact, because I weighed more on the former when bringing these two up. I'm more of an AmBeaut fan that you, it seems. I recall its execution (say pace and screenplay) of its dry, comical, "pulpy" as you say essence being noteworthy.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thellama73 »

How did Shakespeare in Love win best picture? Must have been a slow year.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

thellama73 wrote:How did Shakespeare in Love win best picture? Must have been a slow year.
Of course it wasn't. There was Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line in the BP nominees alone.

There was American History X, The Big Lebowski, Aronofsky's Pi, Rushmore, The Truman Show, Velvet Goldmine, Mulan.

There was Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat, Vinterberg's Festen, Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Last Vegas, Tykwer's Run Lola Run, The Red Violin, the original Ringu, Taxi

A Best Picture statuette is not a unit measure for worth.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Ricochet wrote:
thellama73 wrote:How did Shakespeare in Love win best picture? Must have been a slow year.
Of course it wasn't. There was Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line in the BP nominees alone.

There was American History X, The Big Lebowski, Aronofsky's Pi, Rushmore, The Truman Show, Velvet Goldmine, Mulan.

There was Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat, Vinterberg's Festen, Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Last Vegas, Tykwer's Run Lola Run, The Red Violin, the original Ringu, Taxi

A Best Picture statuette is not a unit measure for worth.
I don't know why exactly but I am in love with the movie The Red Violin. I'm glad to see someone else has at least heard of it as it is not a widely known movie.

Hard to believe Saving Private Ryan didn't win that year as it is the kind of movie it seems like the Academy usually goes for.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 6

Post by S~V~S »

Ok Sandra Bullock looks like she is made of latex.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Quick knee-jerk predictions/hopes/snubs:

Best Picture

What I'd Like to Win: Call Me By Your Name
What's Probably Gonna Win: The Shape Of Water
What Shoulda Been Nominated: The Florida Project

Best Actor

Like to Win: Daniel Kaluuya
Gonna Win: Daniel Day-Lewis (screw Oldman)
Shoulda Been Nominated: Robert Pattinson, Good Time

Best Actress

Like to Win: Saorise Ronan
Gonna Win: Frances McDormand
Shoulda Been Nominated: J-Law, mother! Vicky Krieps, Phantom Thread

Best Supporting Actor

Like to Win: Willem Dafoe
Gonna Win: Sam Rockwell
Shoulda Been Nominated: Barry Keoghan, The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Best Supporting Actress

Like to Win: Lesley Manville
Gonna Win: Laurie Metcalf
Shoulda Been Nominated: Tilda Swinton, Okja Bria Vinaite, The Florida Project

Best Director

Like to Win: Jordan Peele
Gonna Win: Guillermo Del Toro
Shoulda Been Nominated: Luca Guadagnino, Call Me By Your Name. Denis Villenueve, Blade Runner 2049

Best Original Screenplay

Like to Win: Lady Bird
Gonna Win: Three Billboards
Shoulda Been Nominated: A Ghost Story, Phantom Thread

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Like to Win: Call Me By Your Name
Gonna Win: Call Me By Your Name
Shoulda Been Nominated: Blade Runner 2049, The Death of Stalin

and that's all the awards I care about
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I've watched an alarming few of those yet. I tend to avoid really hyped movies till later so that expectations aren't disappointed.

also, I find it hilarious that Logan was released last year??? Feels like it was 3 years ago at least.

Return to “Tinsel Town”