Doctor Who

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 4

Doctor Who

Post by Bullzeye »

Seriously, how do we have a TV section without the greatest show in all of time and space? I'm starting it for us.

I think Peter Capaldi is doing an excellent job as the 12th Doctor. I wasn't sure about him when he was first announced but he won me over straight away in his first episode. Really enjoying the dynamic between him and Clara. I'm not too keen on this Danny Pink bloke though, but maybe he'll change my mind later on.
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Doctor Who

Post by zeek »

I was the opposite! I knew he had the acting chops for it but didn't think he shone in the opening few episodes. Listen stunned me though. In my top five Doctor Who episodes of all time. Including the original series.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

I knew he was a good actor I just didn't think he seemed right for the part somehow. It may be because I grew up with the newer series (Ecclestone started when I was 13) and the younger set of Doctors are all I've really watched. I think I might have just been subconsciously biased because of his age. I do want to watch some of the older stuff, I just have no idea to find it and what's considered worth watching out of it.

And yeah, Listen is one of the best episodes I've seen. I would put it on par with Blink as the 'watch this to get into the show' episode.
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

Before David Tennant came among Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor was generally considered the best and he's one of my favourites. If you do want to get into some of the older episodes I recommend his run.

Blink is probably my favourite episode, even though the Doctor is kind of a secondary character. It's a shame Martha doesn't get the props she deserves.

Top Five Companions?
Gotrees
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gotrees »

Bullzeye wrote:I do want to watch some of the older stuff, I just have no idea to find it and what's considered worth watching out of it.
The matrixarchive channel on dailymotion used to have a ton of the old episodes, but it looks like the account was taken down. I did find this channel though, which seems to have a bunch of them. At one point I was trying to get through all of them, but "The Web Planet" was so bad I couldn't take it. I never made it through that serial.

If you want to try to watch all of them, you can use this wiki page to make sure you're doing it all in order.

Out of the ones I watched I would definitely recommend "The Unearthly Child," "The Daleks," and maybe "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" just because of their historic value to the show.

I also liked "The Aztecs" and "The Romans," but I really enjoyed "Planet of Giants." Some of the "special effects" (ie. props) in that episode really amazed me for some reason, especially considering it was done in the sixties with no CGI or green screens or anything, and on a really tight budget.

And here is a blog I read through as I finished each episode. Basically some guy decided to watch every old Who episode with his wife and let her review/critique them. It's pretty funny, and I sort of followed along with them as I finished each serial.
Made wrote:I may be new, but i got furry.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

zeek wrote:Before David Tennant came among Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor was generally considered the best and he's one of my favourites. If you do want to get into some of the older episodes I recommend his run.

Blink is probably my favourite episode, even though the Doctor is kind of a secondary character. It's a shame Martha doesn't get the props she deserves.

Top Five Companions?
Not sure. I really like Clara, she's possibly my favourite so far. I really liked Donna too, and Jack if he counts. Also just saw this:

Gotrees wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:I do want to watch some of the older stuff, I just have no idea to find it and what's considered worth watching out of it.
The matrixarchive channel on dailymotion used to have a ton of the old episodes, but it looks like the account was taken down. I did find this channel though, which seems to have a bunch of them. At one point I was trying to get through all of them, but "The Web Planet" was so bad I couldn't take it. I never made it through that serial.

If you want to try to watch all of them, you can use this wiki page to make sure you're doing it all in order.

Out of the ones I watched I would definitely recommend "The Unearthly Child," "The Daleks," and maybe "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" just because of their historic value to the show.

I also liked "The Aztecs" and "The Romans," but I really enjoyed "Planet of Giants." Some of the "special effects" (ie. props) in that episode really amazed me for some reason, especially considering it was done in the sixties with no CGI or green screens or anything, and on a really tight budget.

And here is a blog I read through as I finished each episode. Basically some guy decided to watch every old Who episode with his wife and let her review/critique them. It's pretty funny, and I sort of followed along with them as I finished each serial.
Cool, that's great. I'll definitely have a look at some of those when I get the chance! :)
Gotrees
Stool Pigeon

Post by Gotrees »

Bullzeye wrote:Also just saw this:

Haha, that's great.
zeek wrote:Top Five Companions?
Might be a cliché answer, but I really liked Rose and the Ponds.

Oh, and of course K9. K9 is the best.

Sidenote: Rose and the Ponds might be a pretty decent band name.
Made wrote:I may be new, but i got furry.
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

Gotrees wrote:Out of the ones I watched I would definitely recommend "The Unearthly Child," "The Daleks," and maybe "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" just because of their historic value to the show.
Love these episodes. I think 'The Unearthly Child' is quite underrated. From the Whovians I know most of them only rate the first part and thought it dragged after that.
Gotrees wrote:Might be a cliché answer, but I really liked Rose and the Ponds.

Oh, and of course K9. K9 is the best.
Rose is probably my favourite too but a large part of that is because she's the Tenth's companion of choice. I actually loved Rory. Jack counts, but Wilfred doesn't in my opinion. So I'd go for Rose, Jack, Sarah Jane and the Ponds. I''ve always kind of seen K9 as a happy-go-lucky Sonic Screwdriver on wheels haha.
Gotrees wrote:Sidenote: Rose and the Ponds might be a pretty decent band name.
As is Doctor Donna and the Oods.
Matahari
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Matahari »

I love Strax. :grin:

I love all the Doctors, but Matt Smith was probably my favorite. The Ponds and River Song made me cry sometimes (The Angels Take Manhattan) and then Amy coming back when Matt left, gave me a lump in my throat, and the tears rolled. I also loved Donna and Wilfred, and Jackie. Turn Left was a great show, and of course, Blink.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Season 9 starts here tomorrow, can't wait!
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
leggyorlyb

Post by leggyorlyb »

:O I didn't realize there was a Doctor Who thread!!!!! I have seen today's episode and it is good. :nicenod:
leggyorlyb

Post by leggyorlyb »

Matahari wrote:I love Strax. :grin:

Amy coming back when Matt left, gave me a lump in my throat, and the tears rolled.
I was crying like a baby when she showed up but what got me in that scene was when the bow tie hit the floor and I went into a full blown meltdown ugly cry like you've never seen before.
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

I didn't have high hopes for the new season, but the first episode absolutely blew me away! There have been very few memorable episodes during Moffat's run (which I feel has nearly made the show unwatchable except out of sheer habbit/routine) but this one shot right up to the top of the list. Hopefully this will set a new tone as I've heard there are many more 2 part episodes planned throughout this season.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

BigDamnHero wrote:I didn't have high hopes for the new season, but the first episode absolutely blew me away! There have been very few memorable episodes during Moffat's run (which I feel has nearly made the show unwatchable except out of sheer habbit/routine) but this one shot right up to the top of the list. Hopefully this will set a new tone as I've heard there are many more 2 part episodes planned throughout this season.
Having seen the list of episode titles for this season, it looks like they're all two parters! Should make for an interesting season. I really enjoyed the opening episode, I hope they can keep up to this standard throughout the series.
BigDamnHero
Corrupt Union Official

Post by BigDamnHero »

That's my hope as well, but I'm keeping my expectations low. Moffat always has been a disappointment, IMO
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DFaraday
Money Launderer

Post by DFaraday »

Bullzeye wrote:
BigDamnHero wrote:I didn't have high hopes for the new season, but the first episode absolutely blew me away! There have been very few memorable episodes during Moffat's run (which I feel has nearly made the show unwatchable except out of sheer habbit/routine) but this one shot right up to the top of the list. Hopefully this will set a new tone as I've heard there are many more 2 part episodes planned throughout this season.
Having seen the list of episode titles for this season, it looks like they're all two parters! Should make for an interesting season. I really enjoyed the opening episode, I hope they can keep up to this standard throughout the series.
Hmm, I hope not. I've not really been a fan of two-parters in recent years (The Family of Blood was good though), and prefer smaller Doctor Who stories. But if they can do them well, I'm fine with it.

And of course the above doesn't apply to the first seven Doctors, all of whose stories were two or more parts. The Daleks' 7-part (!) episode was a bit much, but they pulled it off better back then.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

I haven't been able to invest myself in Doctor Who ever since Moffat took over the series. I hear that he did an amazing job with Sherlock, so I've just come to the conclusion that his style doesn't agree with me. I feel like he prioritised the comic angle of the series over what I used to love about the show. Maybe I'll get back into it one day, I 'unno.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Good news for Quin then - after a fairly baren 2016, looks like Moff is handing over the reigns to Gratis for 2017.

It's time. Who needs to keep changing to keep being Who.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!

Return to “Tinsel Town”