Comic Book TV Shows

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Comic Book TV Shows

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Anybody here watches those? Lately, they are the only TV series that I watch.

Here are the ones that are ongoing:

Marvel Cinematic Universe:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Agent Carter
Daredevil (Netflix)
Jessica Jones (Netflix)

DC Shows:

Arrow
Flash
Gotham
Supergirl

Among those, Arrow and Supergirl are the only ones I didn't watch. I watched some of Flash and Gotham but I'm currently taking a break from them. I watched all the MCU ones though. I'm a big MCU fanboy.

Also if you haven't watched the Netflix shows, stop what you are doing right now and go do it, they basically the best things comic book shows/movies have to offer. Seriously. I watched the entire first season of Jessica Jones yesterday and I want more.
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Comic Book TV Shows

Post by Golden »

I can only watch so many TV show in a busy life...

So, I watch Agents of Shield (probably my favourite of the bunch), Agent Carter, Arrow and Flash, and intend to put Legends of Tomorrow on the list.

Others will have to wait for me to watch them, probably in a few years time.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FZ. »

I watch Agents of Shield, Flash, Arrow, Gotham and Supergirl. And those are the only shows I'm following on TV at the moment. That's too many as it is.

Mostly the first three. I used to love Gotham, but I'm getting tired of it a little. I need to catch up on the last few episodes.
Not a big fan of Supergirl., which is a shame, but I'm giving it a few more episodes.

My favourites at the moment are Agents of Shield and Flash.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I got bored of Gotham too a few weeks ago, but I don't intend to drop it.

I watched Flash until the first ep. of season 2, and got pissed off because the show kept doing the "villain of the week" formulaic thing. So I kind of dropped it. Maybe.

Agents of Shield had a weak first season first half, but then it got amazing and is the best show on TV right now (excluding Netflix)

None of them hold a candle to Daredevil or Jessica Jones, though.
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Flash season 2 didn't start so good, and I was quite disappointed in the first few episodes, but I think it's gotten a lot better. I think you should still give it a try

I agree that agents of shield is really good. I think out of all of them, it's the one that feels the most real to me, if you know what I mean.

Haven't seen any of the others.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I always felt Shield got a rough reputation for the first half of season one. I didn't think it was as bad as many others did. To be honest, I thought the first half of season 2 was worse, very rough and hard to follow at times. Both seasons definitely had a better second half.

But season 3 is hitting a home run out of the park from the very start, I think it is better than the show has ever been.

DDL - Flash and Arrow do definitely do the villain of the week thing. It is their bread and butter. I think its why I find Shield more compelling right now. But I do enjoy the Flash, it has a great tone that I enjoy. And Arrow seems like its returning to form in season 4 after a poor season 3. I see Flash and Arrow more as a light snack whereas Shield is a meal.
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Golden wrote:I always felt Shield got a rough reputation for the first half of season one. I didn't think it was as bad as many others did. To be honest, I thought the first half of season 2 was worse, very rough and hard to follow at times. Both seasons definitely had a better second half.

But season 3 is hitting a home run out of the park from the very start, I think it is better than the show has ever been.

DDL - Flash and Arrow do definitely do the villain of the week thing. It is their bread and butter. I think its why I find Shield more compelling right now. But I do enjoy the Flash, it has a great tone that I enjoy. And Arrow seems like its returning to form in season 4 after a poor season 3. I see Flash and Arrow more as a light snack whereas Shield is a meal.
I completely agree that season 3 is the best. One of my favourite episodes this season was the Jemma centred one and it was all about the writing and the acting. It wasn't an action packed episode with twists and turns. I think that the end of season 1 was really shocking, and it's like they can't really surprise us like that again, so they have no choice but to work hard and write it better from the get go.

I also agree on what you said about Arrow. I was ready to give it up after season 3 and it came back better than I expected.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

It's not my type of entertainment... is an answer I could develop the following way.

On one hand, I don't really have genuine access to these series (or in fact any non-HBO US/UK series) except if I *cough* *cough*. The level and lateness with which local TV networks invest in such series or pick them up is often a total killjoy. I'm hearing rumors of Netflix finally appearing as a service in a matter of months, so maybe things we'll change. Something like SKY (in the UK) would also be great, but tough titties around here. We have a few equivalent services, but they hardly offer the same package of movies and series or an adequate stream quality.

Plus I don't have real time to watch all these series in stock or by bingeing. I barely have time to watch a movie or the current three-four TV series I'm interested in, every evening.

On the other hand, I like mostly original (in concept) drama, sometimes comedy, TV series, just like I like my movies dramatic, stylish, borderline arthouse. I feel the Marvel/DC packages cannot offer me anything but cheap thrills, by comparison. Plus, I'm skeptically regarding this endless flow of movies and shows as purely opportunistic and money-making. Have you seen those pics of how many movies are scheduled until 2100? I'm barely knowledgeable about anything comic-related outside the Justice League, X-Men and Spidey, yet I'm supposed to have my interest picqued by entire movies dedicated to uhm someone named Deadpool? Doctor...Strange? The... Inhumans? Sandman? Shazam?! Yeah, they're milking it.

Of the things mentioned, I didn't like anything Captain America/Shield related in the movies, so I doubt I'll ever watch Agents or Carter. I like my Batman 90s animated or maybe, just maybe Nolan-esque, and the reviews I'm reading all mock Gotham by comparison. Flash and Arrow are much more appreciated, but again, probably don't have any time to pursue them. Daredevil and Supergirl sound like a nope for me. I'll admit Jessica Jones has enough buzz these days and looks dark enough to take a peek, plus Ritter is a fun actress.

So yeah, not my type of entertainment.

(If you got all the way up to this line, thanks for reading. :blush: )
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I got all the way to the end, Rico.

You should really get that cough looked at.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I have it under control. :noble:
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Rico, I understand where you're coming from. My husband is just like that. He can't watch these kind of shows. I don't know, for me, it's where I check my cynicism (and sometimes my logic) at the door, before I start watching, and then I'm able to really enjoy something that is not as complicated and sophisticated, and that's that. And I'm also such a nerd :p
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

If I'd have any nerd blood in my veins, I'd probably temper my snob art demands better, yeah.

Logic, on the hand, is never an issue. I watched Battlestar Galactica and Lost all the way through, after all. :goofp:
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Enrique »

Jessica Jones is a good watch, Rico, but don't get your expectations too high. It's pretty dark and gritty thematically but the writing can get fairly awkward/cheesy. I guess the tone is comparable to what I remember from Buffy (which I never watched a full season of so maybe I'm way off). Plus the editing is kinda ass. I think Daredevil is a bit closer to what you're looking for, but again, it's a superhero TV show... don't expect too much.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Well they are superhero shows... the premises are cheesy. You get people with superpowers fighting people with superpowers.

I think both shows have really good writing even though they can be cheesy. They both have characters with very realistic development and motivation.

Jessica Jones is darker than Daredevil, but they are both darker than pretty much everything else I mentioned in this thread. Daredevil has a plot that is similar to the Dark Knight movies, albeit more violent. Jessica Jones is more of a psychological thriller, with a less classical hero and instead there is a protagonist fighting PTSD and trying to get revenge against her abuser.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Pretty much, I agree. Both were very very good seasons, but I feel like Jessica Jones got a bit redundant towards the end and things started happening just for the sake of keeping the show going. I think trimming the season down a bit (even if just for a couple of episodes) would've resulted in a much better climax. The second half of the season just felt really awkward.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Enrique wrote:Pretty much, I agree. Both were very very good seasons, but I feel like Jessica Jones got a bit redundant towards the end and things started happening just for the sake of keeping the show going. I think trimming the season down a bit (even if just for a couple of episodes) would've resulted in a much better climax. The second half of the season just felt really awkward.
Yeah I agree, Jessica Jones has a couple script issues (like filler and stuff), while Daredevil is a lot closer to perfect. Though Jessica Jones is still better than 99% superhero live-action stuff, imo.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Not that I'm the type to care much, but the new trailer for We-Need-A-Movie-to-Warm-Up-The-Justice-League-Movie actually produced grimaces on my face.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot this is just for TV shows.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

FUCKIN SUPERGIRL MAN WATTTTTTT
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

We really liked Daredevil, and just started watching Jessica Jones. I think we're 2 episodes in. So far, we like Jessica Jones, I definitely like the darkness of it, and also a huge Tennant fan. So far there have already been a few moments of scripting that were a bit cheesy, but I kind of figure going in it's got the possibility of getting cheesy. (Comic book stuff, and all that.) I definitely like the psychological aspect of JJ.

DD was fantastic, and the new season is supposed to be coming out in March, I think. With Jon Bernthal! So woohoo for Walking Dead fans. :omg:
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

12 more days to go.

GET HYPE
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

indiglo wrote:We really liked Daredevil, and just started watching Jessica Jones. I think we're 2 episodes in. So far, we like Jessica Jones, I definitely like the darkness of it, and also a huge Tennant fan. So far there have already been a few moments of scripting that were a bit cheesy, but I kind of figure going in it's got the possibility of getting cheesy. (Comic book stuff, and all that.) I definitely like the psychological aspect of JJ.

DD was fantastic, and the new season is supposed to be coming out in March, I think. With Jon Bernthal! So woohoo for Walking Dead fans. :omg:

I have never more loved an evol evol evol son of a bitch than I did Killjoy. I swear his casting was fucking perfect. He'd be all bad and evol then he'd smile and be all David and I'd just *swoon*. Also the fact that they made him somewhat sympathetic is amazing. I mean, I should have hated the guy, and I was still kinda sad about his fate. Not only are the hero's in a morally grey area, but so are the villains. That's what set that series apart from all the others for me.

Shane is good in DD. We're not through it yet, but what I have seen, I adore him in. He was good as Shane, but he's amazballz as Punisher.

Also - for Rico - Sandman, while it's a comic book thing, isn't a superhero thing. It's a thing unto itself and you might actually enjoy it. The source material, Gaiman's comics, are more steeped in mythology and religion and literature than they are "superheros." For example, in the comic run, Shakespeare was a character in Gaiman's comics. There are sooo many Milton references. And on and on and on. Also there is at least one story entirely about cats. :D It was the very first comic I ever read and the one that brought me into the genera. This coming from an avowed English major who didn't read "books with pictures."
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

bea wrote:
indiglo wrote:We really liked Daredevil, and just started watching Jessica Jones. I think we're 2 episodes in. So far, we like Jessica Jones, I definitely like the darkness of it, and also a huge Tennant fan. So far there have already been a few moments of scripting that were a bit cheesy, but I kind of figure going in it's got the possibility of getting cheesy. (Comic book stuff, and all that.) I definitely like the psychological aspect of JJ.

I have never more loved an evol evol evol son of a bitch than I did Killjoy. I swear his casting was fucking perfect. He'd be all bad and evol then he'd smile and be all David and I'd just *swoon*. Also the fact that they made him somewhat sympathetic is amazing. I mean, I should have hated the guy, and I was still kinda sad about his fate. Not only are the hero's in a morally grey area, but so are the villains. That's what set that series apart from all the others for me.

Shane is good in DD. We're not through it yet, but what I have seen, I adore him in. He was good as Shane, but he's amazballz as Punisher.

Also - for Rico - Sandman, while it's a comic book thing, isn't a superhero thing. It's a thing unto itself and you might actually enjoy it. The source material, Gaiman's comics, are more steeped in mythology and religion and literature than they are "superheros." For example, in the comic run, Shakespeare was a character in Gaiman's comics. There are sooo many Milton references. And on and on and on. Also there is at least one story entirely about cats. :D It was the very first comic I ever read and the one that brought me into the genera. This coming from an avowed English major who didn't read "books with pictures."

Agreed 100% on Killgrave! Oh he was soooooooo fantastic! Yes, there were moments when I actually felt soooo sorry for that little fuck. LOL And the next moment I'm thinking - you little shit! Just drop dead you piece of garbage! I love when characters can do that. Did you watch Broadchurch too? He was just beyond amazing in that too. What can't David Tennant do well??

We have only just started the new DD season. Liking it so far though! I think Bernthall will make a fantastic villain - I mean hell, Shane was a villain before he died, so he's got practice! :D
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I saw american broadchurch and haven't gone back to watch british broadchurch yet. David Tennant is our Derek Jacoby, Our Olivier, Our what Brannagh hoped he was and almost is.

The range is just what keeps me coming back. I wasn't a Who fan at first, Diggz made me watch Tennant's Hamlet. Then he showed me the Who's Shakespeare Code episode then said go back and watch.

Like Sinatra, Tennent could read the ingredients of a McDonald's milkshake and I'd be all in for it.

He's really great as Punisher. His backstory is awesome so far. And OMG - he is just so emo in the good ways. I wasn't a fan of Shane, I love what he did with Punisher.

Also - comic con is coming soon - ZOMG - ZOMG!!
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

The Punsiher is the best thing about that season.

Except
Wilson Fisk. I'm salty they haven't given an emmy for that actor for Season 1. He is just amazing.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Why's nobody on here talking about Luke Cage yet? I'm halfway through and it is SOOO good.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

So I haven't seen Jessica Jones but I'm signed up for zebra's game. Should I watch it?

I should preface this by saying that I've been wanting to watch a new show after I finish this Seinfeld rewatch (currently in Season 8 so shouldn't be too much longer), but that I was never into comic books or comic book-themed stuff. I did love Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy though once my brother forced me to watch them.
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

nutella wrote:Why's nobody on here talking about Luke Cage yet? I'm halfway through and it is SOOO good.
I know, right? We just finished it last night. Wow. That was my favorite Marvel series from Netflix yet. There were some corny lines (like all of them I suppose) but there was absolutely NOTHING I didn't like about it. I love where they took it, and would actually really enjoy rewatching it! And there were so many little easter eggs in there for the comic book fans, which is fun for long time fans too. But even for those of us who knew nothing about Luke Cage going in, it was beyond awesome!

XOXO Epi Girl
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

YOUNG JUSTICE SEASON THREE FAM
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Tinsel Town”