Election Season Mafia

Post your incomplete mafia game submissions here, regardless of game type. You may not even be sure which type you'll go with yet.

Moderator: Community Team

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 4

Election Season Mafia

Post by G-Man »

You can thank the zany election season and the Politics Discussion thread for this. :p

This will be a full sized game (30 players). My initial thought is to base this off of the 2016 race for the White House but I am open to making roles fictitious or incorporate fresher faces where necessary. Role names will be known but power descriptions will be kept secret and revealed upon a player getting lynched or NK'd. This will be a very lighthearted game tonally (very satirical) but it will also have some of the cutthroat action that comes with political races.

SETUP:
Republicans and Democrats are both considered civvies, whereas members of various third party groups have banded together to bring an end to the monotony of the two-party system (in other words, third party candidates are the mafia). The mafia component of the game runs as usual. The game also features a race for the White House that all players are eligible for at the outset.

LYNCHES AND NK'S
Lynches and NK's won't result in death but it will take players out of the game as we normally understand it. Once lynched or NK'd, players are no longer tied to the political party of their former role. Instead, they will become part of the general electorate that will come into play later on. Lynches will remove candidates for substance and NK's will see candidates bow out due to scandal.

STAGE ONE: PRIMARY SEASON
The first five days of the game will feature primaries and caucuses. The electoral map will be broken down for Republicans and Democrats the same way they are in real life. Each player may choose to have their role run for their party's nominee (Republican, Democrat, Third Party).

Each of the first five day phases of the game will feature several secret-ballot elections for various states and territories. Players will cast a separate vote in each of these contests. As with real life, some primaries and caucuses will be open (players can vote across party lines) and some will be closed (players must vote for a role in their own party). Delegates will be awarded to candidates according to the real-life rules of the states/territories. Some states are winner-take-all and some are proportional. I'll come up with a delegate system for the third party candidates to use. Results will be posted throughout the night phase.

If players see that their role is not winning delegates, they may pull their role out of the race for the party's nominee. Should they choose to do so, their role will not appear on any remaining primary/caucus ballots. As candidates are eliminated from the race via lynches and NK's, delegates will be reassigned to the remaining candidates as the primary/caucus results are reconfigured based on the candidates still in the game.

If a role obtains a majority of delegates for their party, then they will be the party's nominee for the general election. If nobody achieves a majority of delegates for their party, then there will be a brokered convention on Night 5 for that party. Whoever holds the role that emerges as the party nominee gets to establish an order of succession for the roles in their party that are still in the game. This way, if the nominee is lynched or NK'd, the party doesn't fall into disarray.

STAGE TWO: THE GENERAL ELECTION
Beginning on Day 6, the general election begins. The general election will be broken down by time zone, so each day, secret ballots will be cast for the Republican, Democrat, or Third Party nominee. In other words, Day 6 will see votes cast for states in the Eastern Time Zone, Day 7 will be for the Central Time Zone, and so on. The winners of each state get the electoral votes for that state (I will also try to follow the quirkiness of the few states that do not award all of their electoral votes according to the popular vote). As of right now, I am thinking of weighting general election votes using a multiplier based on each states voting tendencies. This way there are some sure-thing states for each party and a few swing states in play.

Everyone (living players, removed players, and non-players) can vote in the general election. Removed players and non-players will have voter registration requirements in order to participate in this part of the game (in other words, you'll have to express your desire to vote in the general election by the end of Night 5). As with the primaries and caucuses, the general election results for each time zone will be announced during a night phase. I am toying with the idea of keeping all the general election results a secret until after all time zones have voted in order to prevent one day's results to impact the next day's votes. The results could even roll out during endgame. I'm just not sure yet.

If a candidate can achieve 270 electoral votes, they and their party will win the White House. If nobody earns 270 electoral votes, then we'll have another show on our hands.

WIN CONDITIONS
As with politics, only the suriviors win. No player that has been lynched or NK'd will be able to earn a winner's badge but they will have some influence over a secondary win category. Republicans, Democrats, and the Third Party can win up to two ways- the mafia game win and the general election win. Surviving R's and D's will achieve mafia game win if they eliminate all the Third Party. The Third Party will win the mafia game portion if they kill or outnumber all the remaining R's and D's. The general election victory can be achieved for all remaining party members if their party wins the White House. In this way, some players could get win credit for winning the White House but still lose the mafia game component.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Election Season Mafia

Post by Ricochet »

Is this in lieu of the Red-Blue, Blue-Red heist games or another variation of such electoral games, to be played on a larger scale?
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

No those are straight-up Heist games. I still plan on running those, hopefully sometime around the actual general election. This is something completely separate from them.
My Banners:
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sig »

This game looks awesome. I'd definitely want to play this.
Will all thirty players be people running for office this cycle?
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

sig wrote:This game looks awesome. I'd definitely want to play this.
Will all thirty players be people running for office this cycle?
That was my initial concept- 17 Republicans, 5 Democrats, and up to 8 Third Party folk. I was thinking of fluffing the number of Democrats up a little because with only five D roles, it would be easy for that party to wind up eliminated before Stage One ends. The general election part can still occur without living roles for that party but it would be nice if the voting started with one of the roles as the candidate.
My Banners:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah only 5 Democrats sounds a weeeeee it biased,lol
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

S~V~S wrote:Yeah only 5 Democrats sounds a weeeeee it biased,lol
As long as Rand Paul isn't cut I'll be fine. :P

Also yeah Gman that makes sense.
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

If the game is based mostly off of 2016, then Rand will make the cut. Finding viable Democrats to add to the game will be tricky though. I can think of two or three to add to the race but making it an even affair between D's and R's might result in some out-there additions.
My Banners:
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DharmaHelper »

You have my permission to use my likeness :grin:
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

G-Man wrote:If the game is based mostly off of 2016, then Rand will make the cut. Finding viable Democrats to add to the game will be tricky though. I can think of two or three to add to the race but making it an even affair between D's and R's might result in some out-there additions.
Elizabeth Warren. She is becoming pretty vocal right about now.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell

Return to “The Basement”