Avengers/Secret Wars

Post your incomplete mafia game submissions here, regardless of game type. You may not even be sure which type you'll go with yet.

Moderator: Community Team

Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Avengers/Secret Wars

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

So I've been kicking around some ideas for an Avengers/Secret Wars mafia game but figured I'd never get enough players on my home site to make it worthwhile. Then I played a game here and realized that the "no claiming" rules and auto janitored kills work way better with this theme than my home forum's rules. Here's a quick writeup. Feedback welcome.

If you've never read the series, the concept is basically universes keep crashing together at the impact point of Earth. When this happens, there is an 8 hour "incursion" where two Earths are right next to each other. After 8 hours, the universes crash together, killing everyone....unless you destroy one of the Earths, which spares both universes.

Captain America assembles the largest Avengers team ever, not even realizing the real threat he's facing while the Illuminati take on the exhausting task of trying to prevent incursions and destroy other Earths to save the Marvel Universe. When they lose the will to continue, the villainous Cabal takes their place, murdering worlds to save Earth. Meanwhile, four powerful groups are using incursions to move across the multiverse, destroying everything in their paths as they war with each other.

I'm thinking 25-30ish roles (how many players are here, anyhow?).

Town (13-15)
Cap - Double voter, can choose the target of another Avenger. Alternatively, a cult recruiter as Cap later forms a SHIELD taskforce to capture the Illuminati.
Black Widow and Spider Woman - Cop
Hawkeye - Guide
Thor and Hyperion - Doctor but can't protect themselves or anyone who didn't vote during the day cause they're too honorable. One shot vest and or one shot vigilante?
Hulk - Blocker with a ~1/3rd chance to nk or nk a random player targeting him. Or he can calm down and be some sort of info gatherer or vote manipulator.
Sunspot, Cannonball and Smasher - Can gain BTSC (but no roleclaiming or hinting) with another player each night. Probably gets a one shot block, one shot doctor and one shot reverse track
Manifold - Busdriver (Targets player A and player b. Anyone targeting player A targets player B instead and vice versa)
Captain Universe - Learns how many townies are alive every other night
Spider-Man - Bulletproof?
Wolverine - Tracker? one shot vigilante? One shot dragger?
Shang Chi - Magnet with 50% chance to survive a magneted nightkill? One shot 5x voter?
Falcon - Tracker? Clue cop?
Starbrand and Nightmask - Starts with 5 votes and a 1/5th chance to successfully nightkill. Loses a vote each day and gains an addition 1/5th chance to succeed at killing every night.
Abyss and Ex Nihilo ???
Fantastic Four characters ???
Cyclops w/Phoenix ???

Illuminati Mafia (4-5)
Kills every other night and can somehow (idk) win with the town. Versatile but less dangerous than the Cabal.
Mr. Fantastic - Alternates between info gathering powers
Iron Man - Alternates between offensive/vote manipulating powers
Dr. Strange - Alternates between defensive powers
Black Panther - Alternates between redirection/cloak/framing powers. Can't win with Namor and maybe has a one shot daykill or nightkill that can be used on only Namor
Black Bolt - Silencer/bounty hunter for Maximus

Cabal Mafia (4-5)
Kills every other night. More outright powerful than the other mafia. Maybe can win with another scum group? Needs more scary abilities.
Thanos - Bulletproof, requires more votes to lynch or survives a lynch. Ignores doctors?
Terrax - Redirect nexus (25% chance?). Roleblocker.
Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive - "Wounds" players to give them extra votes. Special nightkills like unredirectable or untrackable?
Black Swan - ???
Maximus the Mad - Framer/redirector/vote stealer/bounty hunter for Black Bolt?

Indys (2)
Namor - Can join Illuminati or Cabal after X nights. ???
Beast - Can join Illuminati or town after X nights. ???

Serial killers (4) Only one will kill each night
Ivory Kings - 20% chance to take the kill if there are 20 or less players, 40% chance to take the kill if there are 15 or less players, etc. Bulletproof, town cloak, tracks as hitting a random target, won't show on reverse track, ignores vests/doctors/blockers/redirection. Must be last player standing to win.
Black Priests - Can win with the town/Illuminati? Something about revealing secrets? Ignores vests? Gets the kill if the town can't solve a puzzle and the Ivory Kings miss their roll?
Mapmakers - Get the kill if nobody else takes it. Learn their kill target's identity. Basically playing Mastermind and wins (ending the game?) if they figure out who everyone is.
Rabum Alal - ???

All hope lies in Doom
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Avengers/Secret Wars

Post by Epignosis »

Too many non-Civilian roles. Your civilians are almost outnumbered.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Epignosis wrote:Too many non-Civilian roles. Your civilians are almost outnumbered.
I can cut a mafia member from each team but I wanted to pin down a win condition for the Illuminati before deciding on a final number. Also, two of the four "serial killer" roles would be potentially pro town depending on the final win condition for the Black Priests and Rabum Alal.

I could also just switch the Illuminati to town, change Cap to cult, split Glaive and Midnight into two roles, add Namor to the Cabal and then cut some townies.

That would make roughly a 15-17 player town, 5-6 player mafia, 4 opposing serial killerish roles. One of the Black Priests and Rabum Alal might be better as town but a key thematic thing is that an incursion comes and one of those four groups is likely to show up. So I like the idea that one of them is killing per night but they have opposing win conditions. Like I'd rather see a "pro town serial killer" than just make the Black Priests a vigilante. It also weakens info gathering roles to make essentially town roles that show up Indy.

Sidenote: Planning for multiple scum groups is hard. Will they kill each other and lead to a townie rout? Hit townies every night and make it where they never had a chance? I've seen it work out well plenty of times but there are a lot more two mafia games where I felt the win was unearned than one mafia games. The "one mafia kill per night" rule used here probably helps reduce the randomness of it but it's also essentially pro town.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Town (18ish)
Black Widow and Spider Woman - Cop
Hawkeye - Guide
Thor and Hyperion - Doctor but can't protect themselves or anyone who didn't vote during the day cause they're too honorable. One shot vest and or one shot vigilante?
Hulk - Blocker with a ~1/3rd chance to nk or nk a random player targeting him. Or he can calm down and be some sort of info gatherer or vote manipulator.
Sunspot, Cannonball and Smasher - Can gain BTSC (but no roleclaiming or hinting) with another player each night. Probably gets a one shot block, one shot doctor and one shot reverse track
Manifold - Busdriver (Targets player A and player b. Anyone targeting player A targets player B instead and vice versa)
Captain Universe - Learns how many townies are alive every other night
Spider-Man - Bulletproof?
Shang Chi - Magnet with 50% chance to survive a magneted nightkill? One shot 5x voter?
Starbrand and Nightmask - Starts with 5 votes and a 1/5th chance to successfully nightkill. Loses a vote each day and gains an addition 1/5th chance to succeed at killing every night.
Captain Marvel - Blocker. Starts with 3 extra votes on her due to fan backlash
Sue Storm - Hider?
Cyclops w/Phoenix ???
Mr. Fantastic - Role checker?
Iron Man - Inventor role? Miller?
Dr. Strange - Doctor? Psychiatrist for the Black Priests?
Black Panther - Trackerish/redirection role.
Beast - Inventor? Note passer?
Wolverine - Tracker? one shot vigilante? One shot dragger?
Black Bolt - Removes votes/silences. Can probably come up with a better pro town power for him.
Thing ???
Human Torch ???
Abyss and Ex Nihilo ???
Falcon - Tracker? Clue cop?

Cabal Mafia (6ish)
Thanos - Bulletproof, requires more votes to lynch or survives a lynch. Ignores doctors?
Terrax - Redirect nexus (25% chance?). Roleblocker.
Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive - "Wounds" players to give them extra votes. Special nightkills like unredirectable or untrackable?
Black Swan - ???
Maximus the Mad - Framer/redirector/vote stealer/bounty hunter for Black Bolt?
Namor - ???

Serial killers (4) Only one will kill each night
Ivory Kings - 20% chance to take the kill if there are 20 or less players, 40% chance to take the kill if there are 15 or less players, etc. Bulletproof, town cloak, tracks as hitting a random target, won't show on reverse track, ignores vests/doctors/blockers/redirection. Must be last player standing to win.
Black Priests - Can win with the town/Illuminati? Something about revealing secrets? Ignores vests? Gets the kill if the town can't solve a puzzle and the Ivory Kings miss their roll?
Mapmakers - Get the kill if nobody else takes it. Learn their kill target's identity. Basically playing Mastermind and wins (ending the game?) if they figure out who everyone is.
Rabum Alal - ???

Cult (1)
Cap - Double voter. Can't recruit scum or Illuminati. Gains a kill after recruiting 3 other players? Kill can only be used against Illuminati members?

That's 29. Probably cut another 2 townies and 1 mafia member to bring it to 26.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Damn, I'm loving it. I haven't read a lot of the source material, like the Illuminati stuff, and a bunch of other things, but it looks like it has some great potential.

Return to “The Basement”